Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

My phone rang at 7:30 this morning.  It was a 1-800 number, but I figured I would answer just out of curiosity.  Here is a transcript:

Caller: Can I speak to Ms. Quof please?

Me: Who is calling?

C   I'm calling from Visa Fraud Centre, there has been some unusual activity on your card. 

M  What's the number on that card? 

C   The card starting with 45

M Yes, but what is the rest of the number?

C  It's your card, starting with 45

M But if you are calling me, you must be able to tell me the card number?

C  I'm calling you from Visa, about your card!!!!

M You need to tell me the card number

C  You really need to be concerned about these transactions. (By this time, his tone is growing menacing and I can hear his colleagues all around him having him similar conversations)

M I want to thank you for calling me. You should know I am recording this call and I've just linked in the police and they almost have your location traced, so you just sit tight.

C  I don't want to talk to you anymore!

M But I'm enjoying talking to you.

C (in a low, sing-songy voice) Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Hangs up.

Good times at the Quof house 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 16
  • Surprise 1

My DD told me of a neat feature on my iPhone. Go to Settings and then Phone. Turn on the switch to silence unknown callers. Works great look at the call and if it is someone you want to talk to, callback, otherwise Block and Delete. Now they are texting too...have to Google and see how to block that too...

• Like 2

@GHScorpiosRule Congratulatipns!!

I'm at Seven Years. My mom had breast cancer too so when the dr told me it was cancer, I wasn't really surprised. It was caught early and was very small. I opted for a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. I didn't have to have any radiation or chemo and I have never regretted my choice once. 71 years old, flat and fabulous!

• Like 17

GHScorpiosRule and Gramto6, congrats on years of being cancer free!! That's awesome! I've got dense breast tissue so l always worry that my mammograms won't catch everything (I'm actually probably going to get a reduction in the next few years, my back and neck are a mess).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

GHScorpiosRule and Gramto6, congrats on years of being cancer free!! That's awesome! I've got dense breast tissue so l always worry that my mammograms won't catch everything (I'm actually probably going to get a reduction in the next few years, my back and neck are a mess).

My tissue was very dense too, that played into my decision for the double mastectomy.

Edited by Gramto6 · Reason: typo
  • Like 1

There's something surreal about being told you have cancer. It feels like your blood has stopped circulating, like you're frozen solid. August 16, 2011 was my surgery for melanoma. It was stage one but unfortunately the scar is on my cheek & I was stared at *a lot* until I had some work done (I wear glasses to help hide it as it's still there). For some reason, the only date I recall is August 23, 2011--the day of the earthquake. I stood in the front door as the house shook, not wanting to be outside where people would see my fresh scar. People told me I shouldn't be so self conscious. Eff them. 

• Like 9

Congratulations, survivors!

My mom was so used to her breast lumps being benign, that she went in alone for the biopsy results, only to have the surgeon who lived up to every negative stereotype about his specialty say, "Well, it's cancer" the way a normal person might share that it has started raining.

For the metastases, we all knew what the results were going to be, so my dad, or both of us, went with her for emotional support both times and this time around my dad goes with her to all oncology appointments (well, now they're over the phone).

When we went to a local steakhouse to celebrate her 10-year anniversary of being cancer free, I was quite particular about what booth I wanted.  The server asked if we were celebrating anything, so we told her and she was congratulatory, saying dessert was on her.  At the end of the meal, the manager came over and said the whole meal was on the house and they looked forward to hosting us on the 15-year anniversary.  Her first metastasis came a month shy of the 14-year mark, so we didn't get to do that, but it was a lovely gesture (we weren't regulars; my parents would go for a random night out maybe once a year, and I did the same with a friend, and then my family came in for scattered special occasions).

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

I literally just can't even with this fucking state anymore. I hate Georgia so much. I'm peeved at myself for buying a townhouse a year ago that I won't be able to sell anytime soon (houses are selling, townhouses are not) and see no feesible way back home to CA in my near future. 

I knew moving would be hard. I didn't realize how much I'd hate it here, how much it would kill my spirit and now I'm trapped.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 8

I feel the same way about Florida. I was actively applying to jobs in other states to get out here (its too crowded and too expensive for me anymore)  and then COVID and the pregnancy happened. So I am stuck here at least until my son is school aged. I am so sad that I never made it out before crap hit the fan.

• Sad 3

We're thinking about finally cutting cable, because the price went up again, and we don't even have channels like HBO. I'm trying to decide between Hulu + live TV, or Youtube TV, or neither of them (possibly cheaper Hulu without ads, but I stupidly feel nervous about getting rid of cable - I don't like being dependent on the internet for everything like that, and I also do like AMC, occasionally - I don't think Hulu has the channel). 

We finally upgraded our Roku (had the old one since 2013), for this. It had also been mucking up on me since early last year, so we were due for an upgrade.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1

I've had YouTube TV for almost a year now - cable rates were getting stupid high, so I went to an internet-only plan (unfortunately, the cable company is the only option for that in my area) and subscribe to YTTV for television. They recently raised the price, I think it's $65 a month now, but between that and internet, I'm paying less than half of what I would be paying for a TV/internet/phone package from the cable company. I've used a cell phone as my primary phone for years now, I only had phone service from the cable company because the package was cheaper than cable + internet alone.

I've been happy with the service, I think I've had one 20 minute outage in the past year, and just about everything we want is available. I did just add Frndly TV to my Roku - it's about $6 a month - because YTTV doesn't carry Hallmark, and that's one of my GF's "comfort" channels.

• Like 1

I haven't tried youtube, but liked Hulu well enough. I paid about $50 a month for live tv so I could watch Top Chef. Every single week, when the contestants were at judging table, I'd get an error "this title will not play at this time, try again later" - I have no idea if it was Hulu, my internet, or the Roku. How can you know? "Turn it off and turn it back on again" would work, but it made me curse every week! Anyway, I did like it other than that. Good variety, easy user interface. I quit after Top Chef ended because I'm... frugal. But when Top Chef comes back I look forward to having it again. I didn't like Sling or Direct TV. I currently have Netflix and Amazon. I feel like I can spend more time looking for something to watch than actually watching something! Which has turned out to be okay. Because it take so long to find something to watch,  I'm not even turning the tv on some days! A thing I thought could never, ever happen! Of course, the lack of new programming right now makes a difference. But I'm getting into better habits. It still feel kind of weird, though! The first thing I've done every day since I lived out on my own was turn the tv on. And as long as I was home, the tv was on. Now it's not and even though it feels weird, it's also feeling kind of good. Until Top Chef comes back and I get Hulu again! We'll see how that goes!

• Useful 1

I gave up cable 8 or 9 years ago and haven’t regretted it. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu (with no commercials) and rarely feel like I’m missing out on anything. 

• Like 1

What's keeping me from finally cutting the cord is not knowing how else to watch Jeopardy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABay said:

What's keeping me from finally cutting the cord is not knowing how else to watch Jeopardy.

YTTV carries all my local network stations - I don't remember if that is everywhere, or just in larger cities, but that could be an option. I can watch Jeopardy every night.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, theredhead77 said:

no feesible way back home to CA in my near future. 

No offense, but people are leaving CA in droves!  Between the high taxes, crumbling infrastructure, the homeless and ridiculously priced housing, it seems people can't get away from there fast enough (which is a shame as so many parts of it are beautiful, but obviously poorly governed).  

On 9/30/2020 at 8:51 PM, AgentRXS said:

I am stuck here at least until my son is school aged.

Actually, if you're inclined, you could always home school your child.  It can be a rewarding experience and it makes for a tighter relationship with the family unit.  Plus, you could live anywhere no matter what the school district is like.

2 hours ago, ABay said:

Have you considered getting an old fashioned TV antenna?  They can pick up digital signals for free and that includes local stations and several stations typically found on cable.  In my area, it's Mr. Antenna.  All you par for is the installation.

• Like 2

I haven't cut the cable TV cord because no one has been able to tell me 100% that I will still be able to watch a lot of the stupid channels I love (TBS, TNT, all of the football and basketball channels DirecTV gives me, Hallmark, etc.). 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Moose135 said:

They recently raised the price, I think it's $65 a month now,

Does it come with local broadcast (ABC, NBC, etc.) and local sports stations?  

3 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Does it come with local broadcast (ABC, NBC, etc.) and local sports stations?  

As of October 1, they dropped 19 Sinclair-owned Fox regional sports networks when their contract expired and they weren't able to negotiate an extension. That may change in the future. With the baseball "regular" season over, and NBA and NHL not starting up their next seasons soon, there isn't a lot of live sports that will be unavailable by this move. I do get all my local broadcast stations.

I tried a Mohu antenna but it didn't pick up anything, no matter where I situated it. But YTTV might be an option.; at least it's less than my current satellite bill.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Anela said:

We're thinking about finally cutting cable, because the price went up again, and we don't even have channels like HBO. I'm trying to decide between Hulu + live TV, or Youtube TV, or neither of them (possibly cheaper Hulu without ads, but I stupidly feel nervous about getting rid of cable - I don't like being dependent on the internet for everything like that, and I also do like AMC, occasionally - I don't think Hulu has the channel). 

We finally upgraded our Roku (had the old one since 2013), for this. It had also been mucking up on me since early last year, so we were due for an upgrade.

Ours just went up $25/mo also.  Ree-damn-diculous!  I too am apprehensive about cutting the cord, but we're going to have to do something.  We can cut out a couple of premium channels (if it were up to me, we wouldn't have any), but that won't be enough.  Going to have to consult with a 6-yr old or something, to figure this out, lol.

I have Dish, I am in the boonies in MT not too many options. Dish has crept up to $111.03 but I have second tier. I looked at YTTV, but they don't have Hallmark in my area. That is the only one I would have to give up.I only watch Touched By An Angel on that channel and they are not airing it now, but i just can't give it up yet...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

watch Touched By An Angel on that channel and they are not airing it now, but i just can't give it up yet...

Do you have Start TV? It's airing on that channel at the moment.  

12 hours ago, magicdog said:

Do you have Start TV? It's airing on that channel at the moment.  

Yes! I see it has been added but it doesn't show up on the Zap2It program guide I use. I'll just use their guide on their website. Thanks!

• Like 1

I need someone on the Gulf to get close enough to see a water spout and wave a butcher knife at it.  Only do this while/if its still safe to do so and if it won't get you arrested.  That's got to be a thing that could get you arrested.

I'm going to throw out all my mango flavored jolly ranchers because they are gross and I don't have a real crop of mangos.

2020 can suck it.  I'm sick and tired of hurricanes.  This is my interpretation of the internet's suggestions on "how to make a hurricane go away"

If you are actually in the path of Delta stay safe.  I'm not but if there  were some kind of dance I could do to make it go away for you, I would.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 5

On 10/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, magicdog said:

No offense, but people are leaving CA in droves!  Between the high taxes, crumbling infrastructure, the homeless and ridiculously priced housing, it seems people can't get away from there fast enough (which is a shame as so many parts of it are beautiful, but obviously poorly governed).  

It's home and I need to go back. It's so much better than where I am, even with it's faults.  Georgia is a complete shirhole full of shitty people making shitty decisions that impact my life and I literally just can't even with it or the south anymore. 

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I need someone on the Gulf to get close enough to see a water spout and waive a butcher knife at it.  Only do this while/if its still safe to do so and if it won't get you arrested.  That's got to be a thing that could get you arrested.

Or shot.  So make sure no one else is around.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I need someone on the Gulf to get close enough to see a water spout and waive a butcher knife at it.  Only do this while/if its still safe to do so and if it won't get you arrested.  That's got to be a thing that could get you arrested.

I can 100% guarantee that a Floridian has likely already done this multiple times already. I say this as native Floridian. 

@BooksRule and all our Gulf dwelling posters, hope you stay safe and stay clear of the most destructive parts of the storms path. 

• Like 3

Seriously, it's like the 2020 hurricane season looked at the 2005 one and was just like, "Hold my beer." 

You guys definitely need a break down there. I hope this storm manages to weaken significantly before it hits the Gulf. Take care and stay safe. 

• Like 2

Has anyone here had this possible scam happen to them- and if so, what could the payoff might have been?

Here's what happened: I had stopped off at the supermarket, had my hands full of grocery bags [including perishables] and was rushing to get back into my car as the rain was picking up when this woman drove up to me holding her supposed driver's license up to her face and said that she could 'use my help'.  Then she said she had driven from several states away with her husband to our locale- then said she was 'having a medical emergency'- in an oddly calm vocal tone. I quickly told her that I had too much going on to help her then drove off. I have little doubt that this somehow was an attempted scam because why would someone who actually was having a medical emergency drive up to a stranger and ask for help instead of:

1. driving themselves to the nearest hospital ER a short distance  from the store on the very same street.

2. calling 911

3. going inside the store to get help from the help desk

It just didn't add up. Still, I'm wondering what the payoff might have been for her.

• Surprise 2

Blergh, were you in your car when she drove up or standing beside it? We've had attempted abductions/robberies here in Target and grocery store parking lots where one person distracts the victim and their partner grabs them (or their child or purse, etc).

• Surprise 2

21 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Here's what happened: I had stopped off at the supermarket, had my hands full of grocery bags [including perishables] and was rushing to get back into my car as the rain was picking up when this woman drove up to me holding her supposed driver's license up to her face and said that she could 'use my help'.  Then she said she had driven from several states away with her husband to our locale- then said she was 'having a medical emergency'- in an oddly calm vocal tone. I quickly told her that I had too much going on to help her then drove off. I have little doubt that this somehow was an attempted scam because why would someone who actually was having a medical emergency drive up to a stranger and ask for help instead of:

1. driving themselves to the nearest hospital ER a short distance  from the store on the very same street.

2. calling 911

3. going inside the store to get help from the help desk

It just didn't add up. Still, I'm wondering what the payoff might have been for her.

Sounds like an attempted kidnapping - maybe rape.  She was probably trying to get you into her car.

@emma675, and magicdog:

I had just exited the store and was in the parking lot walking towards my car when this happened (and, despite her adding the detail about her husband, the woman telling the tale appeared to be alone in her car). I suppose she might have had a weapon and tried to kidnap me had I gotten into her car but I just didn't feel the situation was right and didn't want to chance things quickly blowing up in my face- especially since Mama was home waiting for my return. 

There's nothing really they can do probably, especially since the woman is probably gone, but you should probably go ahead and report it to the police, just so they can have something on file.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, auntlada said:

There's nothing really they can do probably, especially since the woman is probably gone, but you should probably go ahead and report it to the police, just so they can have something on file.

Agree, plus the store might have cameras that caught her and the car so they can give the police a description and license plate.

• Like 3

Twice we have local problems with stores. One was a rape-abduction at Walmart. They have the hush money to keep if off the news or in the papers because they don’t want to lose business. Then at the other Walmart there were these people trying to grab kids. I only knew because my daughter saw it on Facebook and wanted to make sure that I kept my hands on my grandson at all times. Frankly as a smaller woman I don’t feel safe going to a large parking lot anymore. Too many negative things are happening to people    and I don’t want to be a statistic. Oh, I forgot. At the Walmart near my daughter’s house a lady came up to me and shoved a paper in my face. A note saying she didn’t speak our language and was deaf. To please give them $$ for food and diapers. I saw no child. Why would you even be shopping if you have no money?  I did speak up to the Manager that time and she was escorted out. I wasn’t the only person she was begging to. This is why I no longer shop there. Everything that I have mentioned above. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oh, I forgot. At the Walmart near my daughter’s house a lady came up to me and shoved a paper in my face. A note saying she didn’t speak our language and was deaf. To please give them $$ for food and diapers. I saw no child. Why would you even be shopping if you have no money?  I did speak up to the Manager that time and she was escorted out. I wasn’t the only person she was begging to. This is why I no longer shop there. Everything that I have mentioned above. 

I had the same thing happen to me inside a Walmart several years ago.  A young women with maybe an Eastern European accent approached me, holding a 3 x 5 card with something written on it.  She started talking to me but I moved away. When I was checking out I told the cashier and he said they were aware of her.  A year ago, I had just gotten into my car when a young woman approached, pushing a stroller with a little girl holding her hand. She started asking me for something but I just shook my head, started the car and began to pull out of the space. As I was leaving, I saw her talking with a man beside another car and it looked like they were together.  God forbid someone really needed help these days and here we are leery of scams, criminals, etc., (and deservedly so!)

• Like 1

Years ago, late DH and I were in Italy and some kids came up. to us and put papers in our faces...DH being from Hungary, knew what they were up to and pushed them away. They put the paper in your face and pick your pocket or steal your purse. (My fanny pack was inside under my jacket and shirt...no way were they getting that. Beware any time some one sticks papers/cards in your face to distract you, they are up to no  good.

• Useful 2

I was approached at my car earlier this year, loading my purchases from Target.  It was a 20-something who was just hanging out by the door, and asked for money.  I declined, drove away, then called the store to let them know about it.  It's upsetting because for that flash of a second, I want to help, then my cynical self kicks in, says 'no', then the guilt trip.

• Like 3

As a person with many years of working at food pantries and soup kitchens, as well as someone who has lived in some really rough neighborhoods in big cities, I would advise all of you to *never* give money or anything else (most especially, not a ride in your car!) to a person you don't know who approaches you in a parking lot or on the street. Anyone truly needing assistance can easily get info from the local police or fire department as to a homeless shelter or food bank in their area and all shelters and food banks have lots of referral info to send people on to social assistance programs as appropriate. It is not unkind or uncharitable to be wary and handing out money to people who beg on the streets unfortunately perpetuates their most likely very unhappy life on the street.

Shoving a paper in your face to distract you while pickpocketing you is a centuries old ruse. When I was traveling in India and Nepal, the common tactic was to blow a bit of red pepper in face to get you to stop, take off your backpack/put down your suitcase in order to deal with the discomfort and the belongings would vanish within seconds.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

@isalicat Good things to know and remember. So much of our lives are now spent avoiding scammers. The phone calls, the needy and the beggars. 

• Sad 1

My new basement pantry cabinet arrived unexpectedly last Thursday, and today I finally got it in place and organized it. It’s just a big metal cabinet with shelves, but it’s so much better than the cheap particle board cabinet that it’s replacing. I used some containers and baskets I already had to group things together. It’s not fancy, but I’m happy with it! (Also, I have so much soup!)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

My new basement pantry cabinet arrived unexpectedly last Thursday, and today I finally got it in place and organized it. It’s just a big metal cabinet with shelves, but it’s so much better than the cheap particle board cabinet that it’s replacing. I used some containers and baskets I already had to group things together. It’s not fancy, but I’m happy with it! (Also, I have so much soup!)

It must feel good to see things get organized! I’m happy for you 😊

• Like 3

Here's some good news:  I just had a covid 19 test and the tester did not insert the Q Tip way up my nose. She just swirled the Q Tip in each nostril, not far from the front.  So easy.  I wonder if this is a new technique and that they've stopped doing that awful test all the way to the back of the nostril (shudder). This lab is part of the Medstar Georgetown Univ. Hospital system. 

• Like 3

Huh, I had a Covid test week before last (negative, yay) and they just did a throat swab. And a swab that was so far back in my throat that I was about to gag before she finished. 

• Surprise 2

8 hours ago, emma675 said:

Huh, I had a Covid test week before last (negative, yay) and they just did a throat swab. And a swab that was so far back in my throat that I was about to gag before she finished. 

Ha ha.  That reminds me of a while back when I had a strep test and the doctor remarked that I had a "very strong gag reflex."  I don' tthink it was meant as a compliment.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

29 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Ha ha.  That reminds me of a while back when I had a strep test and the doctor remarked that I had a "very strong gag reflex."  I don' tthink it was meant as a compliment.

I gag every day just brushing my tongue, lol, so I can relate.

• Like 1