Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

So, I can't decide whether I should feel bad about something or not.  I guess I should if anything happened, but if not, I guess I won't worry about it.  The door to get into my work building is down an alley.  There is literally nothing else down that alley.  It ends at a fence. There's not a door on the building on the other side.  So, I'm walking down the alley. There's one guy doing tricks on his bike and another guy watching him. His bike is propped up against the door.  Why you would prop a bike up against a door when you have the rest of the wall of that building and the entire wall of the other building is beyond me, but this is what that guy chose to do. The door is halfway down the alley.  These guys saw me coming. They had to know wher eI was going and he made no move to get his bike.  So I leaned it forward and opened the door and tried to get it to fall back agains the door, but of course it fell to the ground.  I kind of feel like that's what you get for leaning your bike up against a door.  If someone had needed to get out, same thing would have happened.

• Like 1

@Katy M, I wouldn't feel the least bit bad.  There's one door -- my door, in fact -- in my hallway at work that opens out into the hall (every other door in the building opens into the room, but this one).  We have a big, colorful sign on it warning people not to stand in front of it.  I hit at least one person per week with that door because they're standing in front of it.  And I don't feel bad at all.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 3

Chewy.com customer service is amazing. I ordered a hooded litter box, it showed up and the box was seriously banged up and the handle on the lid is missing. It's a little thing that really impacts the ease of use (removing the lid to scoop the litter) so I called and they're sending me a brand new litter box for free. I don't even have to send back the broken one. They said not to worry and stash the pan part for when it needs to be replaced. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Chewy.com customer service is amazing.

They're wonderful.  I was worried that their famous customer service was going to wither away to nothing after being bought by PetSmart, but three years later and I'm still hearing the same great stories about how they tell customers to keep or donate things rather than returning them and even send condolence flowers when a customer asks about returning unused item because their pet died.

And their pharmacy has great prices - as good as or better than Costco on the two prescriptions a friend recently needed.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

Another Chewy lover here. If you need to call them an actual human answers the phone without having to push buttons to select an option. I am mad at UPS. I got a Chewy delivery yesterday and he left if out near my driveway. It was pouring rain. I have an ample covered front porch. So tomorrow am after it has some time to dry, I will empty the soggy boxes outside and bring in the food. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

And their pharmacy has great prices - as good as or better than Costco on the two prescriptions a friend recently needed.

Costco sells pet meds? I learned something new today!

50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Another Chewy lover here. If you need to call them an actual human answers the phone without having to push buttons to select an option

That shocked me! I was expecting a phone tree and was unprepared when it was a person!

• Like 1

Google just helped me out with something that might be useful to any of you who use Facebook and want to clean out your 'likes' page of obsolete pages.  I was doing that just now and found that if the page is not active any longer (when you click on it you are sent to an 'oops, no longer available' page) and there is no option to delete the 'like' (as you can do on other active pages).  It's not a big deal, but I found it annoying to have those generic-looking boxes for pages that I know no longer exist.  I googled the problem and found others complaining about the same thing.  If you change your Facebook setting back to the 'old' Facebook look (which you can do for a 48 hour time if you list a reason why you are changing back temporarily--and I definitely listed why I was changing back), you can go to your 'likes' page and unlike those pesky pages to your heart's content.  But, this will only work as long as you can change back to the 'old' Facebook look (which is only available through September, I think). 

Maybe I'll be the only one here who is interested, but it felt a little better and more organized once I got rid of those junk pages (although I'm not sure what I'll do after September!)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Costco sells pet meds? I learned something new today!

Many medications for human use are also given to other animals for the same afflictions.  It's just a matter of the right strength and dosage for the animal.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My coneflowers have gone to seed.  I was going to take some of the seeds and plant them in another part of my yard, but when I went to put the bird feeders out this morning,  a whole bunch of goldfinches were in my flower garden eating the coneflower and blazing star liatris seeds.

I had to cut my hedge, because it was getting too tall.  Now I have low flying chickadees and finches flying from the bushes to the feeders.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

They're wonderful.  I was worried that their famous customer service was going to wither away to nothing after being bought by PetSmart, but three years later and I'm still hearing the same great stories about how they tell customers to keep or donate things rather than returning them and even send condolence flowers when a customer asks about returning unused item because their pet died.

When one of my cats passed away I called Chewy to cancel the recurring order for his prescription food for his liver.  She immediately said she would process a refund for the last order.  I said no, we were about 1/2 through one bag and I was not up to dealing with returning the other.  She said, no, that was their way.  A small token of sympathy.  She also told me to donate the other bag.  I then received a very sweet hand written condolence card from her.  I called to report how impressed I was to a manager, and he too said that was how they do things.  He then talked to me for about 1/2 hour or so asking questions about my boy,etc.  He said if I just needed to talk to someone to feel free to give them a call.  He said they were all pet owners and understand how important they are to us and how much it hurts to lose them and want to help.  Just a truly impressive company.

• Like 16

That's a really cool story, @tiftgirl

4 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

He said they were all pet owners and understand how important they are to us and how much it hurts to lose them and want to help. 

I remember when my mom had to take our first cat to be put down, she said that the people at the vet's office were just as emotional about it as she was, and they sent her a sympathy card and such afterward, too. It's nice to know there are businesses out there who have people who get it, and are willing to go that extra mile for pet owners in moments like that. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I remember when my mom had to take our first cat to be put down, she said that the people at the vet's office were just as emotional about it as she was, and they sent her a sympathy card and such afterward, too

Not only did I get a sympathy card from both of my dog's vets (she went to a regular vet and a dermatologist), but the latter also made a donation in her name!  I thought that was awesome!  They did their best to make a tough time a little bit easier.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

2020 can fuck right off. I'm so done with this year.

Same.  There is not enough Ativan or bourbon in the world for me to handle this.

• Like 9

And of course we just had an earthquake in Los Angeles. 

This was one of the clearest examples yet in my life of animals feeling the P wave before I could feel the S wave (after the Northridge quake, my cat Louise felt a couple of aftershocks before I did, but she just lifted her head and got wide-eyed); Riley (my cat) and I had just finished playing with a string about a minute before, when I heard a critter running across the roof/through the gutters (all sort of wildlife hangs out at night, but this was unusual activity).  Riley ran to the French doors of the office to look out, and then I felt the first jolt.  She took off after the second one and is still under the bed, which she's never done with previous quakes - probably because this was more jolting than rolling.

No big deal here, and does not yet seem to be a problem in general (4.6-ish), but what a fitting end to this shitty day.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Geez laweeze...it's ffffforty- eight ddddegrees in the metro dc area right now. I just turned on the furnace and leaped back under the covers. I still don't have fall clothes out yet cause when I've done that in the past, 90° weather immediately returns. I think the frost is def on the pumpkin now! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same.  There is not enough Ativan or bourbon in the world for me to handle this.

I think I'm going to have to take up Ativan or bourbon. Oddly my drinking has slowed since the pandemic.

• Like 3

It's a rainy Saturday around here, so I thought I would get back to my fall housecleaning.  I started it a couple of weeks ago--a cabinet here, a closet there--but quit before I got too far. One of my problems is that I do the parts that don't take much effort and when the house really doesn't look any different (even though I know I've done some 'behind the scenes' cleaning in a closet, cabinet or two), I stop.  So, I decided to focus today on only cleaning/organizing in the kitchen.  I've gotten some of the lower cabinets cleaned out and straightened and will work on the top cabinets after I get some lunch. I might even tackle the pantry, but it's pretty messy (if I can get motivated to clean/straighten just one shelf, I'll probably continue). I really want to have at least one room in my house where I can stand and admire the organization and cleanliness. 🙂 

• Like 3

It finally feels like fall, so I baked an apple coffee cake this morning and will probably roast a chicken and make cookies tomorrow. Because 2020 sucks and food is my bourbon. Looks like I picked the wrong year to give up drinking </Steve McCroskey>

• Like 6
  • Laugh 2

It's 3 in the afternoon, and finally got to 58 degrees!  It was a perfect mowing day, though -- bright and sunny, with a light breeze.  I even wore a sweatshirt and barely got warm.  It's meant to get down in the 30s tonight, and I'm not happy about that.  Too early to be in the 30s!

• Surprise 1

We're cleaning because we've avoided it for...awhile. I finally folded the weeks? months? old clean pile of sheets that was on the couch we don't use for sitting on. (Clearly, because it's the laundry couch.) I also folded my "work" clothes (oversized t-shirts and sleepy pants) that had been in the dryer since last weekend. My work clothes are also my pajamas. It really cuts down on the laundry.

Thankfully, my boyfriend vacuums or it'd never get done.

It's about 65 degrees here, but I can't open the windows wide enough to get a good breeze going. The screens are extremely questionable (old/cheap/shoddy), and I am very scared of the cats getting through them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I just fear the dryness with no rain.

Southern NV just broke a record - 151 consecutive days without measurable rainfall!

Funniest bit is it's monsoon season here!  

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

2020 has sucked but, we had a lovely long coolish spring. Then 3-4months of terrible heat and humidity. Now we are having a cooler than usual fall.  I’m also amazed that we are in the Greek alphabet for hurricanes. Anything predictable in our world is no more other than the proverbial death and taxes. 

• Like 5

It's been a little chilly here for the past few days, but it's going to warm up again by Tuesday thankfully. I wouldn't mind so much if my house wasn't 62 degrees first thing in the morning when it's time to get up, or if there had been a transition period between 80s and 50s/60s, but this extreme change is for the birds. 

Bastet, we had an earthquake here in NJ last week at 2am.  Earthquakes in NJ are not impossible, but they are not common by any stretch.  I got woken up out of a dead sleep by what sounded like a loud explosion.  I literally thought someone's house exploded.  It was only after I woke up enough to realize my bed was moving that I figured out it was an earthquake.  I've never been close enough to the epicenter of one to actually hear it, but it was less than 10 miles away from me.   The neighbor's dog was barking like crazy after and it took me over an hour to get back to sleep.   Just another piece of ridiculousness to add to 2020.  

• Surprise 3

What in the world ?!?!  I'm now, kinda wistfully, looking back at the *semi* good old days of the 70's, 80's, 90's. Back when curbside check-in existed, before tornadoes routinely traveled to the east coast, & earthquakes?? Get outta here! Back when you didn't need pliers to open a new bottle of Tylenol (ok that did start in the 80's). Whenever I rewatch Sebastian Maniscalco's hilarious "The Doorbell" routine, I think of the quiet old days. Think I'll go make a cuppa Sanka 😆

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, icemiser69 said:

My coneflowers have gone to seed.  I was going to take some of the seeds and plant them in another part of my yard, but when I went to put the bird feeders out this morning,  a whole bunch of goldfinches were in my flower garden eating the coneflower and blazing star liatris seeds.

One of my favorite parts about the big bed of coneflowers is the way it's covered with butterflies in the summer and with goldfinches now.  When I go home for lunch today, I'll pull in the driveway and flush out about a half dozen yellow birds.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

One of my favorite parts about the big bed of coneflowers is the way it's covered with butterflies in the summer and with goldfinches now.  When I go home for lunch today, I'll pull in the driveway and flush out about a half dozen yellow birds.

This is the time of year that perennial plants get reduced in price.   I was able to buy a Cheyenne Spirit coneflower at half price.   I hope it does well next year.  The online pictures of Cheyenne Spirits don't do it any favors.  Seeing it in person in the garden center is the best way to see what they truly are.  A rainbow of coneflower colors.

I was weeding out my bee balm area earlier this year.  I ended up walking into my house with a bee on my shoulder.  He was so doped up from being on the bee balm that he didn't sting me.  He just fell on the floor.  I picked him up with a paper towel and put him on a flower in the yard so he could come down from is intoxicated state.

I have only had two butterflies this year.  One monarch and one swallowtail.   The hummingbird moths and hummingbirds finally showed up to feed on the bee balm.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3

I think I have two different varieties of purple coneflowers in that bed. It's 6' X 15' just filled with them. It's a big old wave of magenta with a couple of rogue black-eyed susan plants in the middle. The finches do a fine job spreading the seeds around the yard, and I do have a few plants here and there where they don't belong. I dig them out and give them to family or friends. 

57 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

This is the time of year that perennial plants get reduced in price.

I've been keeping my eye out at the Lowe's and Home Depot for things moved into the clearance section. I have a couple trees (a red oak and a river birch) that I got for 75% off in previous falls. That red oak is like 40 feet tall now. It was a total Charlie Brown Christmas tree when I bought it. Heh.

• Like 3

I took the day off from work (well, I'm technically off, but I've got my e-mail open because I'm expecting a couple of e-mails that can't wait until tomorrow for me to answer).  I'm still doing some fall housecleaning and have just started the oven on its self-cleaning mode.  Boy, it sure stinks when it's running through the cycle (and it has about 3 more hours to go).  I have the back door open and a window in the dining room for some cross-breeze to help.  It really needed it, though.  It had gotten really gross-looking with spills and such. The shelves have to be cleaned separately, and they will have to wait a couple of days (and I'm sure the inside of the door will need some extra scrubbing as well).

I'm still working on kitchen cleaning, and have only a couple of cabinets to go. Then it's the fun job of scrubbing out the fridge and maybe getting to at least part of the pantry.  The kitchen table (a catch-all for junk mail and other stuff) looks better, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I've been keeping my eye out at the Lowe's and Home Depot for things moved into the clearance section. I have a couple trees (a red oak and a river birch) that I got for 75% off in previous falls. That red oak is like 40 feet tall now. It was a total Charlie Brown Christmas tree when I bought it. Heh.

When I grabbed my Cheyenne Spirit at the local garden center at half price, a lady came in right behind me and took the four remaining plants.  If I didn't grab one when I did, she probably would have taken that one too.

When plants go on sale, they get snapped up by shoppers quickly.

My Four O'clock flowers grew really well this year.  I planted them from seed directly into the ground after the last frost.   Deer won't touch them.   They come in a huge array of colors, and some have unique color combinations on each flower.    

I went to a frame store the other day to get an estimate.

He started out telling me that its not oversized and that's great it will keep the price down.  Then he quoted my $800 dollars.  The thing I want to frame cost $75. I don't understand how frame shops stay in business.

So now I'm going to look at online options.  But probably will end up building one that is good enough and 1/20th of the price.  I just wanted to pay someone something reasonable so I did have to add another thing to my 'to do' list.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I went to a frame store the other day to get an estimate.

He started out telling me that its not oversized and that's great it will keep the price down.  Then he quoted my $800 dollars.  The thing I want to frame cost $75. I don't understand how frame shops stay in business.

So now I'm going to look at online options.  But probably will end up building one that is good enough and 1/20th of the price.  I just wanted to pay someone something reasonable so I did have to add another thing to my 'to do' list.  Oh well.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they have a large framing section.  I'm not sure, but they may even make frames for you.

Do you have a Michael's? That's where I've been taking things.  And I use the coupon from the Sunday paper. Well, I haven't done this since the pandemic so maybe those ad flyers aren't issued any more. Sheesh. 

I've gone to Michael's for frames many times - they have a variety of "standard" sizes, with pre-cut mats to match. When I moved down to Charlotte, and finally had plenty of space to hang my photos, I started using them, but I had one that was a little odd sized (9"x18"), and the custom framing area in the store wanted some silly amount to frame it. I ended up getting myself a mat cutter (at Michael's, using a 50% off coupon from their flyer - they had a rack of flyers at the entrance) and cut my own mats now. It's not worth it for a one-off, but check out their selection of frames, you should be able to find something at a reasonable price.

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 1

I personally would never go to Hobby Lobby for anything. But I second the suggestions for Michaels, or Aaron Brothers. Or even googling framing in your area to see if there is a class you could learn to do it yourself. What are you trying to frame?

• Like 8

Hard pass on Hobby Lobby.

Thankfully, there's someone about 15 miles away from me who works out of what strongly resembles a storage shed in an industrial area, but he does great work and charges far less than most framing stores.  Almost everything I have is standard sized, so I can just buy frames and mats, but I go to him when I have something odd-sized.  Maybe hunting around Yelp and such might reveal a hidden gem in your area.

Otherwise, yeah, Michael's with a coupon is probably the best option; I think Aaron Brothers - which is owned by Michael's, so the closed-down stores here now have framing shops inside Michael's stores - was mentioned a few times as reasonable if you had one of their ubiquitous coupons.

• Like 5

Michael's doesn't have the size I need off of the shelf.   I would do that if they did because I own a mat cutter.

I've used their custom framing with a coupon before so I'm not going to bother with that. I went to see if it was as costly as I remember over the weekend but its not worth standing in a line six people deep picking frames to find out that it is.

There are custom framing shops online where you can give a specific size and they'll cut and send you the parts to assemble.  That is supposed to be a reasonable price and I've got a coupon.  If that is no good I can build a workable frame.  I just have too many projects and was willing to pay to keep one off the list but not that much.

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I personally would never go to Hobby Lobby for anything. But I second the suggestions for Michaels, or Aaron Brothers. Or even googling framing in your area to see if there is a class you could learn to do it yourself. What are you trying to frame?

Its a hand painted silk scarf .  Ideally I would back mount it with art glass.  But the whole idea I had when I bought it was that it was more cost effective to find "original" art in scarves and batik fabric than paintings.  I can build a frame without glass that is nice enough for what I need and what I'm willing to spend.  Its just getting consigned to a different part of the house with less UV light.

I did this before when I got the bright idea that a scarf I bought as a souvenir in China would make a good substitute for a mural in my craft room.  When you need an 3 x 8 FT frame, you don't even bother to ask how much that would cost you come up with a way to build a frame that involves Home Depot and Joann's fabrics.

scarf.PNG

• Like 4

I'm not on any conventional "social networks" but do get emails from one of those "Nextdoor..." networks locally - useful to sell stuff actually. Anyways, everyone locally has been raving about the pod of whales and associated dolphins right off our local beach so I was determined to go see them. Grabbed the binoculars and went down to the beach yesterday afternoon to find it entirely fogged in and quite magical, like a scene from a Tolkien book. It wasn't especially cold so I thought I would go for a hike in any case and proceeded down the beach, occasionally focusing out at the waves to watch the intrepid surfers. It was so densely foggy you could only see out to the third set of waves and I kept wondering if the surfers bobbing out there ever got disoriented; in the meantime I noticed all the shorebirds (pelicans, gulls, etc.) had all landed and were in long groupings along the beach well above the tide mark. Very few people but the usual assortment of extremely happy doggies chasing stuff into the water and adorable toddlers getting their first cold saltwater caress. Would have loved to have seen the whales but the entire experience was so wonderfully detached from anything going on in our human crazyverse right now that I felt quite restored.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I can build a frame without glass that is nice enough for what I need and what I'm willing to spend. 

Oh - this takes me back to an old project framing a painting I'd picked up off the street (yard sale leftover).  I built a wood frame from molding (just thick enough to use biscuits, as I wasn't sure about gluing together without them) and made a mat out of thin wood wrapped in canvas and stapled together (since I had no idea how to cut paper as well as I could cut wood [I now have a paper cutter]; it came out reasonably well although you can see a gap at one joint).  Now I just won't put in the work, even with improved skills.  But I still have the piece.

If you want it encased but don't want to pay to have glass cut, what about cutting plexiglass?  It's a pain to get smooth edges, but if you've built the frame so you don't need them, that can be a way to go.

At any rate, I'm with you - back mounted with art glass would be ideal, but when the whole idea is to turn fabric into art, you don't want to go that far.

14 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'll be sure to not suggest it to you.

My grandmother as a hobby, painted back in the day.  When she died, my dad and his siblings each picked the paintings they wanted.  My dad before he died asked me if I wanted a couple of the paintings.  I said yes, so he put the paintings into frames he made and gave them to me.  That was more than a couple of decades ago.  A couple of years ago, one the paintings fell off the wall and hit the floor.  The bottom of the frame hit the floor first.  I was horrified, because where the painting fell is the area of the floor where my cat usually sleeps.  If my cat had gotten hit by the painting it would have killed him for sure.  If that had happened I would have been devastated.

I need to get the painting reframed, because the frame is a mess and the hanging cord on the back and the hardware holding it to the frame broke.  I think Michael's frames paintings, but I don't know if I feel comfortable with them reframing the painting.  Thoughts?

Edited by icemiser69