Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

I saw Challenger live because my elementary school had it on tv for the school. I think I was too young to totally understand what I saw so it didn't scare me off of watching crewed launches. Columbia broke up over my parent's house in east Texas. 

I'm watching it live right now and I'm starting to get nervous. 

Edited by emma675
  • Like 1

I did not expect to tear up.

Also, I wish the NASA announcer people would call them Doug and Bob instead of Bob and Doug.

49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I haven't been able to watch the launch of a manned rocket since seeing Challenger live on TV.  Unmanned, no problem, but not manned.

You're good to watch now, if you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Also, I wish the NASA announcer people would call them Doug and Bob instead of Bob and Doug.

You mean those hosers Bob and Doug McKenzie, eh? 🍺

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Coo roo coo coo, coo coo coo coo.  I loved those guys.  And they really were drinking beer during the taping sessions.  I'd love to see reruns of SCTV.  Back when NBC was showing it, in the early 80's, they'd broadcast it at 12:30 AM on a Friday night.  Some times I'd have to take a nap earlier in the evening so I could stay awake during the show.  I rarely watch TV these days and so SCTV would be such a treat for me.  I especially loved John Candy and I think Eugene Levy playing those two brothers who hosted a show (like Lawrence Welk's old dance show), sponsored by Mrs. Somebody's Cabbage Rolls.  "Cabbage rolls & coffee...mmm mmm good!" I didn't know that cabbage rolls were a real food at that time so I thought it was a made up food (and have never eaten one either).

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

I just spent  the last day of my vacation putting together the IKEA furniture for my new patio. 5 hours, 8 broken nails, 1 scratch, numerous curse words and a massive outbreak of sun-induced rash later, I have a couch, chair, and two ottomans. I sat on the couch for five minutes, then called it a day. It looks just like I planned, so I’m pretty pleased!

I would be out there with a cocktail right now, but the sun rash has progressed to include a headache and nausea. I have a sun allergy (who knew that was a thing?) and it really got me today, even with hat/sleeves/sunscreen. It must be because I’m such a delicate flower! 🤣

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

We had a storm come through last night with lots of thunder and lightning.  I had gone to bed, read for a little while ('Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' re-read!), and had just turned off the light.  One of my cats had just settled down on the pillow just above my head, when a huge 'crack!' of thunder and a flash hit.  She practically trampled me to run out of the room.  That was the biggest hit I heard and this morning I found out why.  I have a big wax myrtle in my front yard and it got struck.  It split it right down the middle and spread out the branches flat just like someone had squashed a spider.  (It was a weird tree. Hurricane Katrina had toppled it and I had it cut back and let it come back from the roots.  So, it had about 6 little 'trunks' and lots of low limbs that were a pain to mow around and to keep off the roof.  As a matter of fact, I had just made a decision yesterday to have it cut down.) At least it wasn't close enough to the house to hit the roof.  The ground's so mushy that I know the tree company I use probably won't be able to come out and take it away until everything dries out (which will be delayed because we're supposed to get some of T.S. Cristobal this weekend).  I'll probably go out with my trusty pruning saw and trim a few of the smallest branches to get them off of my front porch and away from my roof.  I do know that I was lucky that it didn't topple right onto my roof and I wonder if the gods were trying to nudge me into getting it out of the way. 

• Like 7
  • Surprise 2

Dang, that sounds like one banged up tree! Glad it missed hitting your house-hope you're able to get it all cleared out as soon as humanly possible (and hope that this coming weekend's storm won't be too bad for you, too). 

We had something like that happen once when I was a teenager. We got this big storm that came through one night, and it blew out the front window in our living room, so we ran down to the basement to hide until it passed.

Came out the next day, and looked at the two trees in our front yard-one was bent at a 90 degree angle, the other was split down the middle. Our neighbor's tree was pulled out by its roots, too, and there were numerous branches and a couple neighbors' boats overturned in the street. I don't know if we got some nasty straight line winds or if a small tornado unexpectedly spun up (we didn't have a tornado warning, but some of that damage sure looked like the sort you'd see after a tornado) or what, but yeah, it was pretty startling. 

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

I've taken a couple of breaks today and cut a few of the small limbs.  I took a few out to the curb before I realized that I probably shouldn't be taking them out there if we might have some fairly high winds this weekend because they might become missiles.  So, I started piling them in the sheltered area between two of the big limbs.  I'm not going to do much more--I only wanted to get a few of the small limbs that were leaning against my porch roof.  They haven't caused any damage, but if winds start up this weekend they'll rub against my roof and might cause some problems.  I also spoke to my neighbor and she says that there's no hurry to get the part that's in their side yard since they aren't blocking anything except a bit of their grass.

• Like 2

I'm in a real state right now.

I called a friend to chat and she tells me the worst news.  Her 28 year old grandson is dying of a tumor.  I was stunned.  She didn't tell me the exact name of this affliction, only that it's typically seen in younger children and its affecting his ability to speak and his mobility.  The tumor appeared in his back and is reaching his brain.  

I feel horrible.  I can't sleep either.

• Sad 19

Oh, no. I'm so sorry. Sending comforting thoughts to your friend and their family, and to you as well. 

• Like 1

I'm having a problem with my central air conditioning. I guess I should be happy that it's working at all, but there's definitely a problem somewhere. I noticed last week (maybe Friday?) that it hadn't seemed to shut off for hours. And it seemed to be getting a tiny bit warmer in the house. Now, I'm one of those people who keeps the temp set on 78 during the summer (which horrifies some of my cold-natured friends), but I'm perfectly comfortable.  When I checked the thermostat it said that the inside temp was 80.  When in doubt, turn everything on and off.  So I moved the setting up until it shut off, turned it off and then went outside and shut off the circuit breaker for a minute or so.  Then, I turned everything back on.  I gradually changed the setting from 80 down to 78 and it seemed to be working okay (cycling on and off like it should). However, I don't know if I actually did anything or because it was getting towards nighttime it was cooler outside which made the inside cooler.  I don't know.  Anyway, everything seemed to be working okay until today when I noticed that it was running long again.  (Sigh)  I just re-set everything again, but it didn't make a difference.  I'm hoping that it's just the thermostat that's faulty (a fairly inexpensive fix) and not something outside (much more expensive).  I haven't had maintenance on the system in a while, so no telling what could be wrong.  But since the outside unit looks like it's running fine and the inside unit (handler?) is running it might be the refrigerant is low.  Right now I have it set for 79 and it's cycled on and off like it should and the house seems comfortable to me.  

(I do know one thing--if I knew way back then what I know now, I would have taken classes/workshops in basic plumbing, carpentry and maybe electrical work so I could do my own minor home repairs (not HVAC repair, probably, but other stuff). I could have saved myself a lot of money over the 18 years that I've lived in my aging home!)

• Like 1

I have learned a valuable lesson. Never use image search when trying to figure out what bug bit you.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 9

2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

(I do know one thing--if I knew way back then what I know now, I would have taken classes/workshops in basic plumbing, carpentry and maybe electrical work so I could do my own minor home repairs (not HVAC repair, probably, but other stuff). I could have saved myself a lot of money over the 18 years that I've lived in my aging home!)

I'm perpetually grateful my parents taught me such things, and perpetually disgruntled there is not a basic "Life Skills" course taught in schools -- even just one semester covering simple skills in a variety of areas would impart important knowledge and self-sufficiency, and in some students it would spark interest in further development of specific skills.

• Like 8

With the AC issues, schedule a service all now, so you don't end up with the temp climbing, and they can't get to you during normal work hours.     It sounds like a freon leak, or maybe a valve issue, and it only gets worse.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

With the AC issues, schedule a service all now, so you don't end up with the temp climbing, and they can't get to you during normal work hours.     It sounds like a freon leak, or maybe a valve issue, and it only gets worse

I just called and set up a service call for Friday between 12-3pm.  That was the earliest that they can come out, but she said she would call if something earlier becomes available.  I should be able to manage until then, since at least I'm getting some 'cool' air through the system.  I have it set for 79 right now and it's only come on several times since I got up this morning (we had a rainstorm come through a little while ago so the temps outside are in the upper 70s, which is helping).  But it's supposed to be in the upper 80s beginning tomorrow, so hopefully I can get it taken care of before too much longer.  I'm going to try to just not be too active (which isn't to hard for me, ha ha!) and keep blinds closed and lights off to keep the house as cool as possible (which I should be doing anyway).  I'm still working from home, so I'm pretty much tied to a computer (under a ceiling fan) most of the day anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem.  The one hiccup in my plan is that I put a hen in the fridge several days ago to thaw so I could make gumbo and I needed to get it cooked before it went bad.  So I just started it boiling on the stove which will create heat in the kitchen.  Oh, well. 

Edited by BooksRule · Reason: too, not to
  • Like 2

I’m officially work from home until September, which means I’m stuck at home with no central air conditioning for the entire summer. We only have air conditioners in the two bed rooms (one is the guest room, but I use it when I can’t sleep). So I ordered one large window air conditioner for the first floor of the house, and a portable one for the office. I’m glad my house is pretty small (1200 sq ft if you’re generous) at times like this, but am not looking forward to the electric bills.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m officially work from home until September, which means I’m stuck at home with no central air conditioning for the entire summer. We only have air conditioners in the two bed rooms (one is the guest room, but I use it when I can’t sleep). So I ordered one large window air conditioner for the first floor of the house, and a portable one for the office. I’m glad my house is pretty small (1200 sq ft if you’re generous) at times like this, but am not looking forward to the electric bills.

I'm scheduled to go back to my office on Monday.  I've missed not being able to just run out to the campus anytime I wanted to (even during our usual closed hours, since I have a key), but unless you are on a very short list you aren't allowed in the building (and are even discouraged from visiting campus) right now.  When I've had A/C problems in the past (or no internet for a few hours for some reason) I've always just gone out to my office (about 5 minutes away) to sit in the cold air and use my office computer.  I've missed that.  

Right now it says that the inside temp is 80, but it doesn't feel that warm to me (I'm sitting under a ceiling fan, though). The system has been running constantly since about 2pm (once it warmed up outside so the inside warmed up too), so I turned it up to 80 so it would cycle off now and then. The house feels humid, too, which indicates that there is a problem.

The first 12 years or so of my life (1960s-early '70s) were spent in a house (1950s-type ranch) with only a window unit in the den (maybe there was one in my parents' room, but I only remember the one).  I don't remember missing having A/C, but I do remember making a beeline for the window unit when I would walk home from school and stand in front of the icy air for a few minutes (while drinking an ice-cold bottle of Coke!). Now I've gotten too spoiled to do without for long (maybe if I lived in a climate that didn't get so hot and muggy it would be easier, but it gets in the upper 90s during the hottest part of the summer and mega humid. It's like having a hot damp blanket tossed over you sometimes when you go outside).  It's funny that when there is a cooling problem, my two cats will stretch out on the hardwood floor and act like they are just melting from the heat (they get very long and flat and give me irritated looks).  I remind them that they went without any power at all (so not even any fans) after Hurricane Katrina for over a week.  But they ignore me. 

I do try to keep the A/C set on 78 during the summer to keep the electric bills down (which are high enough anyway--I think I have some air leaks around a couple of doors that I promised myself I would identify and fix before this summer--that didn't happen, of course), and also because I've had some problems with the condensation pipe clogging up (it gets gunky with algae and such if you don't treat it with a bleach solution once a month or so).  When it has clogged up in the past, I have to call a professional to come out and clean it with compressed air (it's installed where I can't get to it with a wet vac or I would do it myself).  I haven't had the particular problem in several years, but the fewer cycles the air runs the less water goes through the pipe.

So I said to myself the other day, "Well, with a lot of the other things you do on weekends probably not a good idea this summer, maybe you should play some golf." I do like to play golf, and I really haven't played much the last couple of years. 

Next thought was, "You should really get a different set of Irons. The ones you have don't fit with the way you like to play." What that means is that I have irons that are very heavily weighted around the edges and bottom, which is great for newer players. You can miss badly and the ball will still go up in the air. But I'm not a bad player, and I like to be able to make the ball spin left or right. My clubs are like "Nope! We insist your ball only goes straight."

After that was, "Let's check the Internet to see what are my current choices for new Irons."

And now for the point of this rambling story: This is one of those cases where targeted marking is probably going to work. Because I can't go anywhere without seeing ads for Calaway this, Taylor Made that, and Mizuno the other thing.  And they're breaking me down. So shiny and new. Heh.

Golf equipment is very much a Want > Need situation, which apparently fits spectacularly well with "let's bombard this clown with 1,000 targeted ads everywhere he goes."

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Golf equipment is very much a Want > Need situation, which apparently fits spectacularly well with "let's bombard this clown with 1,000 targeted ads everywhere he goes."

AdBlockPlus...

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Completely random. I have had no appetite for a while now & ended up losing about 20 pds. For some reason I have been really hungry the past couple of days, & It's 12:37 AM now, & I would  happily kill a whole lot of people if it got me an extra sauce/extra cheese pizza.

• Laugh 3

Some days I just need a laugh. So I go to you tube and look up my favorite comedians. It's great to click on a 4-5 minute segment of their performances. My current favorite is Sebastian Maniscalco. I love The Doorbell and Craig's List (esp the doorbell cause today I sure can relate!). C'mon in & have some Entemanns & a cuppa Sanka.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Spent the evening trying my hand at making Philadelphia-style vanilla ice cream.

It's a bit of a faff, and I could have quite easily just bought a tub from the shop down the road. But I fancied a challenge, and hopefully come tomorrow it will be the bees knees!

• Like 3

I'm going to discuss traumatic personal injury and unexpected pet loss, so if either of those things could trigger PTSD, you should skip this post.

My mom's friend had a horrifying accident last week; she tripped and fell in a store, hitting a glass shelf as she went down, and wound up with a row of stitches across 3/4 of her forehead and complete loss of vision in one eye that is projected to be permanent.  (If you're blissfully unfamiliar with head injuries, they bleed a lot - it's a scary sight, period, let alone when all that blood is yours.)

I suffered a traumatic injury on a smaller scale about 20 years ago, one that just required half a dozen stitches and a later surgery to repair a severed nerve, and still I was emotionally out of sorts afterward (wondering if I would ever regain feeling in the affected area, sure, but mostly a general sense of unease that I had never experienced [I didn't have anxiety back then] and couldn't shake) and still get a brief sense of that same unease that's very specific to the incident whenever I'm reminded of it.  (I accidentally stabbed myself in the hand [don't ask] with a decent amount of force, and something about the inherently violent nature of that act even under innocuous circumstances made it different from the times I'd needed stitches for a slicing injury or a cracked open because I whacked my head into something injury; to this day, when I'm reminded of it, that hand curls into an involuntary fist.)

So after initially hearing about her accident, I quickly thought about what an emotional recovery she would likely have on top of the physical; since this is on such a larger scale than what happened to me (one eye, when your other one is 80 years old?), I imagined my feelings then and now made exponentially more intense.  I just talked to my mom, and, indeed, her friend is really struggling.  She can't sleep and feels scared alone (she's happily lived alone for half her life) yet simultaneously doesn't want anyone around (and, of course, even if she did, people can't come visit like normal).  Thankfully, her son lives in the guest house, and I don't think he's working, so at least there will almost always be someone a shout away if she needs him.  She has quite a road ahead of her; she's well and truly traumatized.

And the reason my mom called me to begin with was to tell me about the death of another friend's cat; the cat went into cardiac arrest out of the blue while on the friend's boat 20 minutes from shore, so she was helpless to do anything.  My cat died of cardiac arrest seven years ago that happened, also out of the blue, right in front of me.

So I feel for these people (the accident friend I've known most of my life, the cat friend I only just met at my parents' anniversary party) in a special way - I'm so sorry for what they're going through, and I'm also sitting here reliving when I went through similar experiences.

Add in how awful the COVID-19 situation is in Los Angeles, the death of true mensch Carl Reiner, and some willfully and wildly ignorant posts about racism on Nextdoor, and I feel weighed down by this upsetting day.  Thanks for a space to vent.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Sad 19

Good lord, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. How scary. It's only natural she'd struggle a lot after something so traumatic, so yeah, I hope she can continue to lean on the support system she's got and can continue to get all the proper care she needs to heal and recover and adjust to her new normal.

Also sorry for the friend who lost their cat. And I'm sorry to you as well for all the awful things you've been through. Sending comforting thoughts and well wishes to you and your friends. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

and some willfully and wildly ignorant posts about racism on Nextdoor

I signed up for NextDoor (with a fake name and fake local address) to see what the big deal was a year or so ago. I had to delete it because of the pervasive racist posts. I miss neither it or nor Facebook.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

willfully and wildly ignorant posts about racism on Nextdoor, and I feel weighed down by this upsetting day.

32 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I signed up for NextDoor (with a fake name and fake local address) to see what the big deal was a year or so ago. I had to delete it because of the pervasive racist posts. I miss neither it or nor Facebook.

OMG NextDoor is terrible. Posts are either full of racism, dog whistling or lost pets. I have to keep watch to make sure my parents don't sign up. I had signed up (under a fake name, too) and was threatened by some dude who was clearly controlling his girlfriend. And then he reported me for using a fake name and my account was disabled. I explained the situation to Next Door and they were useless.

• Like 3

Last night I had a dream in which I said the names Doug Favell and Eddie Shack. Long story short, Happy Canada Day to our neighbors in the Great White North.

• Like 3

Alright internets, do I tip painters? It's through a professional company and I'm don't think I'm asking for anything crazy extra. I don't mind tipping if it's the norm, I just don't know if I should.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Alright internets, do I tip painters? It's through a professional company and I'm don't think I'm asking for anything crazy extra. I don't mind tipping if it's the norm, I just don't know if I should.

I never have, but I could be wrong. I do offer cold water or sodas (coffee, tea) while they are working. I just try to make their experience as pleasant as possible by staying out of their way and letting them play their own music. For the record I’m not into many kinds of music so sometimes I wish I hadn’t been so accommodating. I hope it comes out just like you hope for. 

• Like 1

Holy cow, Bastet, what a freakish and traumatic injury! I hope she can find a way to recover both mentally and physically over time. I trip all the time because I'm just a klutz but I've never had an injury that bad, my worst fall ended with a broken wrist, but that's pretty easy to recover from. My brother fell face first onto the corner of a concrete step when he was a toddler and sliced his eyebrow and forehead open (luckily his eye was okay). To this day, I remember the crazy amounts of blood from that one injury. It was like a horror movie. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I finally signed up for NextDoor after much nudging by a friend and it's pretty good.  Occasionally it gets snippy (when a wild animal is found in the yard and certain folks get a bit nasty and/or condescending with their lectures).   And, of course, there are the worriers! There are certain people on NextDoor who always post their concern if they hear a helicopter overhead or loud noises...stuff the rest of us don't even stop to think about. But for the most part it's been helpful, especially since the shutdown began (finding out who had toilet paper and paper towels, back in the early days).

• Like 1

I signed up for NextDoor in my neighborhood and I have found it really useful to sell stuff I don't need without resorting to Craig's List or the classified ads (such as they are) in the local newspapers. I've sold stuff like a paper shredder I wasn't using, a shop vac I wasn't using and a couple of bicycles - all the transactions were very swift, pleasant and profitable. I generally ignore all the daily (endless) posts about lost pets and topical issues and the griping about the fireworks (let me be clear: I have lived in my current location near the beach in central California for ten years and every year about 3 weeks before July 4th the neighbors start in with fireworks, culminating in a street vs. street competition for the best display on the night of the 4th, and then tapering off for the week after before ceasing altogether. No one shoots anything off after 10 PM (on the 4th that may run to 11 PM) and there is no fire danger right here to worry about. Yes, I get that your dogs don't like it, but why are you living here then? All the realtors tell their prospective buyers about this as the people here have been doing this for forever around here and I just love it! Put the dog in the bathroom with the windows shut or give it some doggy tranquilizers and let people have some fun!)

• Like 1

The NextDoor posts on fireworks are ridiculous.  I saw one that almost made me post asking if they were willing to troll their neighbors with their real identity then what the hell kind of jackass they were when going on the internet with anonymity.

I didn't because I don't need to be cut up and fed to a snake over stupid crap.  I have watched way to much true crime tv series.  I believe one was called something like Fear thy Neighbor.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, ParadoxLost said:

I have watched way to much true crime tv series.  I believe one was called something like Fear thy Neighbor.

That show is bonkers. It's crazy what little things will set people off on that show. 

• Like 1

I hate fireworks, especially neighborhood amature fireworks. In addition to the potential for house fires, property damage and personal injury they scare my animals, and most imporatnly can cause veterans with PTSD additional issues. And people don't keep them limited to the 'allowed hours', the longer the night, the drunker people get and the more fireworks get set off (with more potential for damage and injury). I hope it pours this 4th. I'm so not looking forward to it. Asshats have already been setting them off in our complex parking lot and I live around a ton of trees.

• Like 10

I'm not a fan of amateur fireworks, either.  And they're going to be even worse this year, with the 4th on Saturday.

I am on our NextDoor, but it seems mostly like it's people looking for handymen or appliance repair people.  Every now and then there will be a complaint about loose dogs, or an announcement about a found cat, but it's generally been civil.  So far.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I have very little experience with hiring painters, but I don't think it's a service for which tipping is expected.

The only time I hired painters rather than doing it myself was to redo my soffit and fascia; it needed (from the owner before me) a shit ton of prep work, which is always the most important and most annoying part of painting, and I just didn't feel like spending that much time on a ladder given how busy I was at the time. 

I hired a local company of two brothers, who did the work themselves and didn't hire any additional laborers on this small job, so it was not a situation in which one would typically tip anyone.  But it wound up being hotter than hell the days they were out there scraping and sanding (not quite as bad when painting).  So the afternoon they finished, I offered them beers on the patio and gave them both gift cards, just because it had been a really shitty environment to work, and they were still meticulous.  That's the job, and they're the owners, but such work ethic is not universal, and the circumstances and their diligence made me want to make a little gesture of thanks.

• Like 2

It turns out it's a pretty big crew so I offered to buy them lunch (pizza). They are busting their asses and doing beautiful work. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm not a fan of amateur fireworks, either.  And they're going to be even worse this year, with the 4th on Saturday.

I am on our NextDoor, but it seems mostly like it's people looking for handymen or appliance repair people.  Every now and then there will be a complaint about loose dogs, or an announcement about a found cat, but it's generally been civil.  So far.

The 4th on Saturday AND the fact that there aren't any community fireworks.  It's going to be ridiculously crazy!!

• Like 3

I edged most of the driveway yesterday, but quit late evening when it got too hot (heat index over 100).  It's taking longer than usual, because I have an extension to the side of my driveway that's just big enough for one car to park and since I don't really use it, I let it get overgrown more than I should.  I didn't realize how much until I tried to edge it and finally had to just sit down on the driveway so I could 'feel' through the grass to find the edge.  It was overgrown by about 6 inches of grass and dirt. That's when I realized that it was going to take a while, so I quit for the day.  I went outside just now (reluctantly, because it's still so freaking hot) to do some more, but the sun went away, it got gloomy and I heard loud thunder on the horizon so I mentally said 'yay!' and came inside.  (I knew rain was on the way, I just felt obligated to get some work done outside before it came in.) 

I plan to spend the rest of the afternoon reading, watching some TV and doing a few household chores. Most of my neighbors are either inside or gone, so it's very quiet in the neighborhood today, which is nice.  I'm sure I will hear some fireworks later tonight (illegal within the city limits, but people shoot them off anyway), but that's fine with me. 

• Like 1

I’m confused. I enrolled with Livongo via work and they sent me a free blood testing kit. But the blood sugar level I get from their device is higher than the one I got from my doctor-OneTouch. 

For example OneTouch will show a 96 before dinner, but the Livongo will show the range of 126!!! Which is the more accurate one?

I tested two more times with both, and Livongo is always higher with the 20 difference. Since I haven’t been gorging on candy or sweets or carbs, and am exercising and eating the right foods and portions, I’m sticking with my OneTouch.

Stoopid Livongo.😒

Any thoughts?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

No one is obligated to feel about the flag the way Erma Bombeck or anyone else thinks is the right way.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m confused. I enrolled with Livongo via work and they sent me a free blood testing kit. But the blood sugar level I get from their device is higher than the one I got from my doctor-OneTouch. 

For example OneTouch will show a 96 before dinner, but the Livongo will show the range of 126!!! Which is the more accurate one?

I tested two more times with both, and Livongo is always higher with the 20 difference. Since I haven’t been gorging on candy or sweets or carbs, and am exercising and eating the right foods and portions, I’m sticking with my OneTouch.

Stoopid Livongo.😒

Any thoughts?

I had the same issue. I received their kit back in January, when my health plan started offering it. I was also using a OneTouch meter, so I tested with both back to back to compare. The Livongo meter was consistently higher, and yes, usually by 20 or more points. It also uses a rather large test strip that seemed to need more blood than the OneTouch strip and it would sometimes take two or three tries to get enough for it to test. After a couple of weeks, I decided to stick with the OneTouch meter. I since changed jobs, and my new insurance no longer includes the free Livongo offer, but I don't miss it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one is obligated to feel about the flag the way Erma Bombeck or anyone else thinks is the right way.

I'm not really a flag person. 

On the 4th: fireworks are illegal in my area, but they were going off everywhere. We made the mistake of leaving the house - we were fine, but one of my dogs wasn't, even though he was at home, because there were so many. 😞 Police cars were racing in one direction, when we were almost home, and over an hour ago, I heard about a house fire, not far from here, because of fireworks hitting someone's home. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I need help solving a mystery.  I just got back from taking a walk. Someone asked me for change for a $20. It's after 9.  Literally everything is closed.  Bars are not open in my town. The bus stopped running hours ago.  What on earth did he need change for?

56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I need help solving a mystery.  I just got back from taking a walk. Someone asked me for change for a $20. It's after 9.  Literally everything is closed.  Bars are not open in my town. The bus stopped running hours ago.  What on earth did he need change for?

The paranoid scaredy-cat in me says he wanted you to take out your wallet so he could run off with it.

• Like 12