Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Can you take Norman to a dog park?

Yes, he loved being in the dog park. But he's going to have to wait until it is both of the following: Not 18 degrees outside, and Not a giant mud puddle. As the former is bad for me, freezing my butt off, and the latter is bad for both of us because he was a giant muddy mess the last time I took him there. 

And really, it's not so much taking him out for play and exercise is it is taking him out to interact with lots of people and other dogs. I take him for walks and have a fenced in yard for him to run around and chase the ball.  The breweries are excellent places where I can work on all sorts of canine good citizen stuff with him. We work on good manners, not taking food off of tables, waiting for people to invite him in to interact instead of just inviting himself, and so on.

• Like 8

I ran errands this afternoon, and at each of the four stores I went to, the cashier wished me a happy Valentine's Day.  I've had strangers say that before, but never every one with whom I happened to share a transaction on February 14th!  It doesn't bother me, I just find it a little odd.

• Like 1

Happy 'Made up Hallmark Holiday' everybody!  (Just kidding!)  I made a quick trip to Wal Mart after work and only saw one guy fast-walking through the store with a heart-shaped box of candy in one hand and a bunch of flowers in the other.  I did see several people looking through the Valentine's Day cards, though. I mailed out several cards to family (the ones that say Happy Whatever from the Cat--and penciled in an 's', since I have two cats), but that's the only celebrating I'm doing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I did see several people looking through the Valentine's Day cards, though.

I had to pick up a prescription yesterday after work at CVS. I got there and was like “Why the hell is this parking lot so full!?”

I saw an awful lot of red crap in people’s arms as I picked up my stuff and got out of there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I ran errands this afternoon, and at each of the four stores I went to, the cashier wished me a happy Valentine's Day.  I've had strangers say that before, but never every one with whom I happened to share a transaction on February 14th!  It doesn't bother me, I just find it a little odd.

Y'know, several years ago I would've found that odd.  But today? I think it's wonderful. We all need a little pick-me-up!

• Like 2

I ran to the grocery store during lunch today (and yes, I was that bitch who put a sack of groceries in the fridge at work afterwards) and there were tons of people grabbing Valentine's stuff. It made me a little sad. Why not just get a nice card and take a few minutes to write a heartfelt note instead of getting a cheap stuffed animal and limp flowers at the last second?

• Like 3

I saw a lot of people coming out of Harris Teeter supermarket carrying pretty bouquets of flowers this afternoon.  It's fun giving/getting flowers and/or candy on Valentines Day. I bought half a double fudge cake (that's how they sell them and just as well...egads they're delicious but OTT rich!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Y'know, several years ago I would've found that odd.  But today? I think it's wonderful. We all need a little pick-me-up!

Well, I think Valentine's Day is utterly ridiculous, so it doesn't do anything for me to have a stranger wish me a happy one.  But, like I said, it didn't bug me, either.  It just wasn't something that had ever happened before.*  I wonder if all those stores instructed their employees to say it.  At least they were all women; it would have been even stranger from men.

*That so many people said it.  It has happened occasionally with one person in the course of the day. 

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I ran to the grocery store during lunch today (and yes, I was that bitch who put a sack of groceries in the fridge at work afterwards) and there were tons of people grabbing Valentine's stuff. It made me a little sad. Why not just get a nice card and take a few minutes to write a heartfelt note instead of getting a cheap stuffed animal and limp flowers at the last second?

Yeah, I was also pretty surprised - and some strange combination of amused and dismayed - to find out the reason the parking lot was unusually crowded at the grocery store was that the store was full of men buying last-minute, mass-produced flower arrangements and boxes of crappy candy.  If you're going to participate in this ridiculous exercise of a holiday, put a little thought into it -- make your partner's  favorite dinner, frame a picture of the two of you (hell, just send a picture with a little note about what a wonderful day that was together), something like that.  Little, but personal.

• Like 5

I'm always amused by the guys rushing about on Valentine's Day because, I mean, it's not like the date changes or anything. It's always on February 14th. It's like the people who are rushing around on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Those dates don't change. I know people can get busy and time can get away from them and whatnot, but if you're aware that it's February, or December, then surely you're also aware that a holiday is around the corner at some point. The stores and ads don't exactly hide that fact, either. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 4

My boyfriend and I had pizza and watched quite a terrible horror movie on Netflix. Well, I watched it while he slept through it. Sunday is actually our six-month "anniversary", which is way more important than Valentine's Day ("Commercialized Love Day" is what he called it). Nevertheless, he did give me a sweet card.

• Like 12

I honestly don't get Valentine's day but then I can't have chocolate because of health issues, I have a black thumb when it comes to flowers (it's like they wilt the instant I touch them), I find cards useless, and I haven't cuddled a teddy bear since I was 13. If I'm in a relationship with someone, I love them every day I'm with them--I don't need this day and the mass produced crap shoved in my face.  The only thing I like about Valentine's Day is that it marks the end of the string of holidays of which the media tries to make people feel bad if they don't have family or a significant other to share it with.

• Like 5

Valentine’s Day is like a religious holiday for not my religion to me. “I understand why it is important to you; I will enjoy sharing your traditional holiday food with you, but it’s just Friday to me.”

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

The only thing I like about Valentine's Day is that it marks the end of the string of holidays of which the media tries to make people feel bad if they don't have family or a significant other to share it with.

Yes! I dread Oct 30th - Feb 14th. Halloween starts the "family and friends" season and it's just an utterly depressing and lonely time of year for me. I have friends who are all busy with their families and attending holiday friend parties hosted by people I don't know which means I'm not invited.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Yes! I dread Oct 30th - Feb 14th. Halloween starts the "family and friends" season and it's just an utterly depressing and lonely time of year for me. I have friends who are all busy with their families and attending holiday friend parties hosted by people I don't know which means I'm not invited.

I liked this, though like doesn't seem quite right.  I agree with every word, though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Me too. Although it gets easier every year---it seems the older I get, the less interested I am in cultivating relationships with people.

• Like 6

I just encountered a stunning example of government stupidity. I went to the Social Security website to get a replacement card, and to do it the easy way I need to set up a "mySocialSecurity" account. Fair enough. I clicked on the link to set it up, and got a message that I can only do so during normal hours of operation. Apparently their servers clock out at night, or something.

• Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

I don’t think you can get a replacement card online anyway.  I logged in yesterday to see if I can ever retire (probably not), and I *think* that’s what it said.  I didn’t give that section my full attention, though, so I might have mis-read it.

9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don’t think you can get a replacement card online anyway.  I logged in yesterday to see if I can ever retire (probably not), and I *think* that’s what it said.  I didn’t give that section my full attention, though, so I might have mis-read it.

If you have a driver's license and live in a participating state and sign up for an online SS account you can get a replacement online.

• Useful 5

I do not know if this is correct, but I was led to believe there was some sort of equal access requirement behind certain gov functions online only being available during business hours. Essentially, if the site is not accessible, then it can only be a usable path during the same hours the actually accessible methods (phone/in-person) would be. As in, possibly they know the website is not ADA compliant and it'd be an ADA violation for the site to be 24/7 when other methods are not. Or something like that.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, theatremouse said:

For me, February 14 = "day before I should remember to go get discount chocolate". I sure don't mind the 75% off this weekend.

I went to Target on Saturday specifically to pick up discounted chocolates, and they had nothing!  All the Easter stuff was already out at full price.  Disappointing.

18 hours ago, janestclair said:

I went to Target on Saturday specifically to pick up discounted chocolates, and they had nothing!  All the Easter stuff was already out at full price.  Disappointing.

Yeah, the supermarkets and Targets get cleaned out really quickly. My favorite place to get the discount chocolate is the Gertrude and Hawk store at the mall. They always have seasonal candy, and there's always plenty half off as they roll into the next holiday. I'll be eating Santa shaped smidgens into February, hearts into April and bunnies into the summer.  Then there's a horrible lack of holiday themed chocolates until the cycle starts back up with Halloween.

• Like 4

I'm off on Monday (due to working a recent weekend day), so i decided to use my three-day weekend to finish up my spring house cleaning. I had already started cleaning out a closet or two during the last couple of weeks, but I'm tired of my messy house.  I don't think I'll get it all done (there's a lot), but at least I should make a huge dent in the project.  Right now, though, my house looks really bad.  (It's not dirty or 'hoard-y', but since I knew that I would be cleaning out cabinets, closets and drawers, I've let some things pile up. Such as piling the clean clothes on the couch in the den instead of folding and putting them away since I would just have to take them back out to straighten the linen closet, my closet and the dresser. I also didn't put up some non-perishable groceries after a recent grocery store run because I will be cleaning out the pantry. So far, all closets are clean and I've folded and put up the laundry. Now I'm scrubbing one bathroom and will at least get the other one done today. The cats are happy that their litter boxes are nice and scrubbed, too. 

This season's cleaning is slower than usual, because instead of just taking things out of the closet, cabinet, etc. cleaning the surfaces and putting things back (those areas aren't usually very messy anyway, but I like to take everything out and clean once or twice a year to keep dust -- and any creepy crawlies -- from taking hold), I'm going through all plastic totes to see if there are things I can get rid of now. I predict the real slow down will come tomorrow when I tackle the Christmas decorations that I never put away after the holidays and transferring my collection of old magazines from my youth from a cardboard box to a plastic tote (that one should be kind of fun, though. I still have my old '16' and 'Tiger Beat' magazines from the early '70s and I don't think I've looked through them in decades). 

I also plan to do some cooking tomorrow. Chicken with BBQ sauce in the Crockpot so I can make shredded chicken for sandwiches and -- if I still have energy -- some chili that I can freeze for lunches. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Yeah, the supermarkets and Targets get cleaned out really quickly. My favorite place to get the discount chocolate is the Gertrude and Hawk store at the mall. They always have seasonal candy, and there's always plenty half off as they roll into the next holiday. I'll be eating Santa shaped smidgens into February, hearts into April and bunnies into the summer.  Then there's a horrible lack of holiday themed chocolates until the cycle starts back up with Halloween.

I went to Walgreens for a purpose last weekend but felt compelled (okay I just wanted to) see if any v day stuff was on clearance. As a Reese’s connoisseur I can attest the Holiday novelty ones are infinitely better. The lack of ridges and PB to chocolate ratio takes them to to another level. 

They only had Snickers Hearts outside of the off brand stuff you know isn’t good. Well- much to my thighs dismay the theory holds for those too. The caramel/overall awesomeness was better than any Snickers I’ve ever had!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I went to Walgreens for a purpose last weekend but felt compelled (okay I just wanted to) see if any v day stuff was on clearance. As a Reese’s connoisseur I can attest the Holiday novelty ones are infinitely better. The lack of ridges and PB to chocolate ratio takes them to to another level. 

They only had Snickers Hearts outside of the off brand stuff you know isn’t good. Well- much to my thighs dismay the theory holds for those too. The caramel/overall awesomeness was better than any Snickers I’ve ever had!  

My thighs send yours their sympathy; they understand completely their dismay.

The President of the CT University system sent an email today about what steps are being taken with regard to Covid-19. On the one hand, it would be terrible if so many students and faculty got sick that drastic steps were needed. On the other hand, working from home...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ABay said:

The President of the CT University system sent an email today about what steps are being taken with regard to Covid-19. On the one hand, it would be terrible if so many students and faculty got sick that drastic steps were needed. On the other hand, working from home...

I decided to go a bit down the path of Covid-19 prepper this week.  Not full on this might be be the end of times.  More like storm preparation.

I'm not stockpiling anything.  I'm not buying masks and stuff like that.

But its probably not wise to be doing what I normally do which is wait until the last minute to refill prescriptions, the gas tank, and exist on a mostly empty pantry and go to the store whenever I need something.  .

I hear too much at work about the measures being taken to contain this.  At some point something is going to be in a shortage until manufacturing and transportation get moving again and I'd rather not be needing a refill on something important when that happens.

• Like 3

I'm not going full prepper or anything but I am making sure I've got ample supplies of my prescription and OTC meds, just in case. I don't have a thyroid anymore so I can't run out of my meds or I really will die (eventually).

• Like 2

I'm a little concerned but that's because I'm so far removed from friends and family (they're in CA, I'm still stuck in hell GA) and my anxiety is permanently at a 'what if something happens, I'm by myself out here'. I don't have a lot of faith in the response measures so I'm going to a bit of prep-mode. My mom says she says she's not concerned at all.

I was doing 'eat the pantry & freezer' that could continue for another week or so but I decided to restock this weekend. When fully stocked I can go about a month without having to go to the store (frozen fruits and veggies by week 2). I'm also buying an extra bag of cat food and extra kitty litter. It's not a terrible idea to keep an extra bag of cat food around regardless and I have an airtight container. Prescriptions are mail order and I was filling up my gas tank tomorrow, regardless because it's time to fill up. The one OOT thing I did was get some masks from work. The shortages have me concerned. Worst case they're used for this. Best case they're used for their purpose, painting, heavy cleaning, etc...

• Like 3

People are beginning to panic. Some have suggested that as a precaution everyone should have enough food, water and meds to last 30 days in pet foods. Like we may have a hurricane kind of preparedness. Certian items are disappearing from the store shelves. I am stocking in case. If I don’t use it for any virus quarantine, I can use it for an actual storm. My MD doesn’t give refills. Of anything. It’s a monthly annoyance to bug the pharmacist to send a fax order for him/her to sign. I can’t wait until I ask for an extra month because I also take a RX for thyroid and BP meds.  That’ll go over like a lead balloon. Then you know that insurance won’t pay for it. A definite hassle. 

@theredhead77 I feel terrible for your isolation, especially if this does get bad. I’m 6 hours away from Atlanta if you need an emergency escape. Just be warned that I have 2 cats (in case of allergy). 

Remember that our first defense is to wash our hands with soap for at least 20 seconds frequently. Limit your contacts to large groups of people and do not panic. 

• Like 6

The store was bananas today, and it didn't help that there was only me and one other cashier until 5pm. We are usually busy from about 3 to 6. I guess everyone is panicking. Every other order was $200. I'm supposed to work tomorrow (my last day), but I think I overdid it today because I am hurting (due to my wreck). I stayed out of work for about a week and a half after trying to work here and there and being in intense pain. I felt pretty good yesterday but today, oof.

I have orientation for my new job Tuesday and start Wednesday. I care more about being ready for it than I care about working a five-hour shift at my shitty job tomorrow. I told my manager tonight that I may not make it in tomorrow, depending on how I feel.

My manager told me I could come back if my new job "didn't work out". I told him he'd have to give me a 50% raise because that's what I'm getting going to Retail Giantess. He laughed and said, "Yeah, we can't do that." No, really?

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I have orientation for my new job Tuesday and start Wednesday. I care more about being ready for it than I care about working a five-hour shift at my shitty job tomorrow. I told my manager tonight that I may not make it in tomorrow, depending on how I feel.

I know you need every penny, but, because you're hurting again, I think it would be best to blow off that last shift and take a nice long weekend to give your body some more healing time before you start the new job.  That additional day of rest is probably more valuable in the long run that the pittance you'd get for those five hours.

I hope this Retail Giantess job is better in general, not just in pay -- ultimately, of course, you want to get back into a career job, but if you could be respected as a human being and appreciated as a good worker in the interim, that would be a lovely bonus that should instead be a goddamn baseline.

Good luck!

• Like 14

Yeah, screw the current job, Bilgistic, you need to make sure you're as close to 100% as you can be for the new job next week. Given how crappy they've treated you, you're totally justified in skipping your last shifts. 

• Like 4

Thanks, all! I did end up calling out because I woke up in pain, feeling like I did two weeks ago.

The assistant customer service manager called me a couple hours after I'd called out (well, "store name" came up on the caller ID, and I was like WTF--I called out on my last day...why are you calling me?!) and I didn't pick up. She then texted me to ask if I was going to work next week or if she needed to get my schedule covered. I said, "Today was my last day. Did our manager not tell you I quit? I'm not on the schedule, which he made on Wednesday." That place, I swear. One hand, meet other hand. Good riddance!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 3

I work in a retail warehouse (t-shirts as far as the eye can see and knick-knacky souvenir crap).  If the USA quits accepting shipments from China then we'll be screwed.  90% of the stuff we sell comes from there (the rest is Vietnam, Paraguay, India and a little Canada).  But at least I can get some reading done if we do have to shut down.

My coworkers and I were more hysterical about the news brief that there might be a shortage of Coke Zero because the sweetener comes from China.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

23 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@theredhead77 I feel terrible for your isolation, especially if this does get bad. I’m 6 hours away from Atlanta if you need an emergency escape. Just be warned that I have 2 cats (in case of allergy)

Thank you. I didn't mean to imply that I'm 100% isolated. I do have friends here but at the end of the day their #1 priority will be their own families. A life long friend of mine lives in PHL, it's a 12 hour drive and 2 tanks of gas and my friends parents live just outside of Nashville.

Hit Target today for my normal Target run plus a little extra. Got 2 boxes of litter and an extra bag of food. If I couldn't go to the store effective today, kitties would be fine for about 6 -8 weeks. The litter box would be a bit gross but I could stretch if if I changed it every other week instead of weekly. I've moved towards plant based cruelty free products but the one thing I still use is bleach, for the kitty box and whites so I got an extra bottle of bleach and a thing of straight up Pine Sol. I'm not going to chance my trusted Seventh Generation and Method products. Best case I wasted $10 on cleaning stuff I may not use.

I need to reorganize my freezer. It's one of those bottom drawer ones and it's so easy for stuff to get lost. After I do that it's off to Sprouts for my normal produce grocery run. 

In completely unrelated news, I just started a composting service called CompostNow. I'm pretty excited that my food scraps will go to good use instead of down the disposal or into the landfill.

• Like 6

My normal grocery run is early Saturday or Sunday, so I went this morning. Oddly, the only thing that looked like it had been cleaned out was my favorite flavor of Talenti. There were two containers way in the back and I had to ask someone with longer arms to get one for me. Do not Bogart the Belgian chocolate, people!

• Laugh 6

I went to Target and the grocery store early this morning. I’m now stocked up on Kleenex, soup, crackers, smoothies, jello and rice pudding. I also dropped off my taxes. I had other errands on the list for today, but I am down for the count. I don’t know if whatever I have will erupt into a full blown cold, but I’m definitely wiped out already today. I’m hoping it isn’t the flu, or which has been going around my office.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

First robin sighting of the year! And the tips of the tulip leaves are visible. So, spring is on the way and it's nearly time to shake off the seasonal affective disorder and prep for the spring pollen allergies. Sunrise, sunset...

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Also became a bit of a COVID-19 prepper this week. I live just outside NYC so...I'm pretty sure it's been here for weeks and just hasn't been detected yet. Now that more people are being tested I fully expect dozens of cases to be uncovered here in the next week.

My husband's job sent out an email the other day about the possibility that everyone will have to work from home, and mentioned the possibility of all public transportation being shut down....

I stocked up on a month's supply of everything for my husband and me. Got a ton of lentils, canned beans, brown rice, pasta (and tomato sauce), cereal/granola, crackers, peanut butter, canned fish, cheese, powdered milk, frozen vegetables and fruit. I also got some backups of eggs and tofu. And of course Easter candy because we will be stress eating junk food probably LOL...priorities. We also have a bunch of paper products, a million things of dish soap, backups on all personal care and cleaning products, medical supplies, etc. Thankfully the store had a lot of things on sale (maybe on purpose to get people to stock up early?)

We're also getting everything else taken care of ASAP...getting our old couch removed and disposed of in preparation for our move, doing our taxes, I even got a haircut.

I also made my husband get a month's supply of stuff for his mom. She's at high risk unfortunately due to being in her 70s and with existing heart and lung issues. I told him he may want to talk to her about not going to her senior center for a while especially now that 50 cases have been found in a nursing home in Washington state.

My dad is in his 60s and has some health issues but nothing too serious, so I worry about him too but not as much as my MIL. Plus his entire building was evacuated last night due to a small fire in another apartment (no damage to his apartment but there was some water/smoke damage in other parts of the building) and he is in a hotel for the next few days. He says he has supplies and I told him to let me know if he needs anything but hopefully he is prepared.

Other than that what I'm freaking out about is that we're supposed to move in April. If our move is delayed due to quarantines I hope we don't have to pay rent on two apartments at once while not even living in one of them. We have savings but that would be total bullshit if it happened. Even worse, our building normally charges 2x rent if you overstay your lease. I emailed my property manager asking what happens in this situation and he said he forwarded it to his regional manager and will get back to me....like damn why does this have to happen now this is like the worst timing....

On 2/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, ParadoxLost said:

I hear too much at work about the measures being taken to contain this.  At some point something is going to be in a shortage until manufacturing and transportation get moving again and I'd rather not be needing a refill on something important when that happens.

I've heard the shortages are already beginning in some sectors due to China shutting off their entire economy for a month. Ironically it's not so much the foods themselves that are expected to be in shortage, but rather, the packaging they come in...or so I've heard.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:28 PM, emma675 said:

I'm not going full prepper or anything but I am making sure I've got ample supplies of my prescription and OTC meds, just in case. I don't have a thyroid anymore so I can't run out of my meds or I really will die (eventually).

I also have nicotine gum and Benadryl. It's unknown if COVID-19 causes a cytokine storm but other coronaviruses do, and those two drugs can stop one from occurring according to research. (Disclaimer: this does not constitute medical advice, this is just what I'm doing.)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3592351/

On 2/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, Mindthinkr said:

People are beginning to panic. Some have suggested that as a precaution everyone should have enough food, water and meds to last 30 days in pet foods. Like we may have a hurricane kind of preparedness. Certian items are disappearing from the store shelves. I am stocking in case. If I don’t use it for any virus quarantine, I can use it for an actual storm.

Some state/local health departments and governments in other countries are also suggesting to have 2-4 weeks of supplies.

Weirdly enough despite being in an area that's 100% guaranteed to get it, I didn't see anyone prepping during the multiple times I went to the supermarket this week. The only thing that was running low was hand sanitizer (got the last large bottle they had).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Some state/local health departments and governments in other countries are also suggesting to have 2-4 weeks of supplies.

I've heard you should get 6 months of supplies and this is really stressing me out.  I don't even think I have a month's worth and I bought, what for me, was a ton of groceries yesterday.  Maybe back to the store today.

• Like 2

An entire month or more strikes me as excessive. If it was a blizzard or hurricane where power might go out or roads be blocked for days, maybe. But even then, more than 2 weeks seems OTT. And it's not like everyone has to stock their bunker right this very minute; unlike blizzards and hurricanes, there's no fixed arrival date.

• Like 5