Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

Hello all. It's been a couple of months since I was able to post here (for reasons that will become clear shortly), so I figured I'd better make a post to depress everyone...uh, I mean give everyone an update about my situation. You know, for the one or two people who may have been wondering:

Sandman87's Awful No Good Very Bad Past Couple Of Months

I've heard that it's best to get it over with quickly when initially delivering unhappy news, so here goes.

A few days before Halloween my house burned down, killing my Mom and putting me in the hospital. I spent about a month in the U.C. Davis Burn Unit (big shout-out to all the staff there; they're awesome), and the rest of the time since in a Skilled Nursing Facility (amusingly referred to in the medical profession as a "sniff".) I'm still there, and am posting on a laptop tht I borrowed from one of the staff. Forgive me if this post gets a little long.

First off, don't get depressed. I already did that for you, especially over the part about Mom. Now I'm working on the "getting on with life" stuff, and have managed to achieve a state of grumpy optimism. Getting back to a normal-ish life is now a question of "how long and how much of a pain in the ass" rather than "if."

I won't dwell on the fire too much here, other than to note that there was a deafening amount of banging and crashing as I fled the house.  Also, quite a few of the neighbors turned out to help until the Fire Department arrived. Best neighbors ever.

A side note: The cats are OK, and the neighbors have been feeding them.

Injuries:

• My arms and hands got the worst of it, with second degree burns on the left and third degree on the right, mainly because I was using them to shield my face on the way out. 
  • Some small patches of second degree burns on my back and shoulders, with matching holes in the shirt that I was wearing at the time.
  • Second degree burns on my earlobes. Also a small patch on top of my head.
  • Ears and face were scorched, roughly equal to a bad sunburn.
  • Smoke inhalation.
  • Topping it all off, a second degree burn the size of a dime on my left big toe. 

Believe it or not, I've decided that in the future I will avoid occupying burning buildings.

The Hospital:

Thanks to the miracle of painkillers, the first week or so of my stay involved a particularly entertaining manifestation of ICU Delirium in which I would wake up and become convinced that I was involved in a bizarre scenario worthy of a science fiction or spy novel. For example:

• I was being held for brainwashing purposes by an Eastern European intelligence agency... on their secret island base!
  • I had been transported to a planet hundreds of light-years away, where they were trying to reduce the mental shock by putting Earth shows on the TV in my room.
  • (My personal favorite) I was a prisoner of mobsters who were keeping me sedated in their underwater hideout as a hostage.

Luckily none of these little mental vacations lasted more than an hour after waking up. My natural caution led me to feign confusion rather than blurting out "You're all vampires! I'll never help you steal all of the burritos!" At one point I ate breakfast and had an interview with three psychiatrists during a mini-delusion.

A surprising number of the nurses turned out to be fellow anime fans. As a result my Saturday wound-tending always seemed to occur while I was watching Toonami, with all of us chatting about the shows while they did their medical things.

One benefit of being in the burn unit: All the milkshakes you want! Healing up from burns takes a lot of calories and protein, so they encouraged me to drink their special high-protein shakes, made with real ice cream, as often as I wanted. I still managed to lose weight.

The Surgery:

My right arm and hand needed skin grafts on the outside from elbow to mid-fingers, and they took the skin from a "donor site" on my left thigh. I won't describe the pain involved with with that, especially in the donor site, but holy shit, that hurts! 

Post-surgery:

Minimizing the technical medical talk here, the grafts developed fairly large open wounds due to blood under the skin. It's a really common condition. They require daily cleaning and dressing changes, which is annoying. Fortunately there's no pain in the grafts themselves. Everyone tells me that they're healing up wonderfully, so yay! My arm and hand look like something from a zombie movie. I look forward to holding out my hand like a claw and menacing small children with it while growling "Monster hand! Mwahahah!"

I'm also wearing a compression glove and sleeve on that arm, which will prevent the grafts from being crazy-bumpy after they heal. Unfortunately I'm obliged to wash them by hand every day until the wounds heal, which is rather disgusting. Blood and icky stuff, don'cha know.

I have full use of my right hand and arm despite the grafts, but I'm obliged to do frequent stretching exercises because they tend to shrink as they heal. Tedious and slightly unpleasant. On the bright side, my hand is stronger than ever from all the exercise.

The nursing facility, aka "The Sniff":

After reaching the point where I just need to rest, heal, have periodic attention from a nurse, and take some pills each day, I got moved to what might be described as a dorm for injured people. A "post-acute facility" is what they call themselves. It's noisier than the hospital, especially at night, because some of the patients prefer to YELL FOR THE NURSE rather than using their nurse call buttons. Luckily there is a supply of industrial grade earplugs, which are available at no additional charge. Both of my roommates are well behaved and house-broken. The food is pretty good too, actually cooked here rather than just heated up in a microwave!

My room has a Smart TV which is set up to pick up free internet channels from Pluto TV. I thought regular cable channels were overly specialized, but these just boggle my mind. A channel that shows nothing but "fail" videos. One that is just James Bond movies all day. A 24x7 channel where I can watch people playing Minecraft. No, seriously.

Homeward bound:

I expect to be here for another 2 or 3 weeks until the wounds on my arm heal up, then I'll be sent back home. And by "home" I mean to whatever living situation can be arranged in my home town. Luckily there are folks helping me with that.

My employer is holding my job open for me, so that's at least one thing I don't need to worry about. I'll be glad to have something productive to do with my time again.

I can look forward to having to replace the battery in my car, which has been sitting idle for over 2 months.

Incidentally, every bit of documentation I had was (probably) destroyed in the fire, including the contents of my wallet. Much bureaucratic fun awaits me as I try to replace things such as my driver's license and birth certificate.

And then I'll see what I can salvage from the house. Sounds like a project.

Have to remember to find myself a cheap computer ASAP. Internet withdrawal and all that. 

• Surprise 3
  • Sad 18

WOW!  Welcome back.  I can hardly get my head around all that you have been through and continue to cope with.  Hope you don’t mind my pointing out a silly thought I had when I read this part:

44 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

I can look forward to having to replace the battery in my car, which has been sitting idle for over 2 months.

I misread that as your car had been idling for the last 2 months, OF COURSE you are going to need a new battery.

Wishing you the best in your continuing recovery.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Jesus, @Sandman87. What an update.

First things first, my deepest condolences to you on the loss of your mom, and your home, and I'm so sorry to hear about all the struggles you've gone through, too, with your injuries and burns and such. That all sounds absolutely painful and horrible and my god, I just can't imagine. 

I admire the hell out of how you're dealing with all of this, though, the attitude you're putting out there. I love how you're able to find the humor in this crazy, absurd, awful situation you've found yourself in (this line made me laugh: "You're all vampires! I'll never help you steal all of the burritos!", as did your idea of being all, "Monster hand!" :D. Yeah. I'd definitely do that if I were you. Hehe), and I appreciate you opening up as you have about all you've been through. Your post is not only emotional and funny, it's also educational! If somebody reading this can take away some positive aspect of it that they can use to get through whatever rough times they're dealing with, too, all the better. 

And bless your kind neighbors and employer and all the people who've gone and will go out of their way to help you as you recover and try and rebuild. It's stories like that that keep my faith in humanity alive, and I'm so glad you've got such a strong support system around you. I wish you all the best as you continue to come back from all of this. Take care of yourself ❤️

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

A side note: The cats are OK, and the neighbors have been feeding them.

I'm glad for that, for the excellent care you've been receiving, that your job is awaiting your return, and that you've made fun child-scaring plans for your "claw".  But I'm very sorry to hear about the context.  What a devastating ongoing experience!  Your attitude tonight, just two months removed from the horrible start of it, is impressive, but I know that's one of a series of hard-earned moments in time; I wish you strength during the dark ones as you continue to navigate your new normal. 

• Like 10

@Sandman87 I’m so sorry for all of your losses. Your Mom, your home, and everything down to your wallet. I’m glad you got out with your life and that your injuries are treatable. Your attitude is wonderful considering how heartbreaking it is to hear what you have been through. My deepest sympathy and prayers for your continuing recovery. I hope that your community can help you secure new living arrangements when you are released and you can be reunited with your cats. Their purrs will be comforting. I’m gobsmacked at the moment. My heart is breaking for you. 

Edited by Mindthinkr · Reason: Your not you’re.
  • Like 11

Sandman87, holy crap. I'm floored at what you posted. Your attitude is amazing, I don't know if I would be that strong. Did they determine the cause of the fire yet? It sounds like you woke up and the house was already engulfed. 

• Like 10

@Sandman87 My heart broke reading your post. I am so happy that you will have your job and your kitties waiting for you. I am so sorry about the rest--it is completely incomprehensible.

• Like 10

@Sandman87  I've been sent here by the wonderfully kind and caring @Mindthinkr from the Duggar Small talk forum.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother, your home and that you have such extreme injuries.  But reading what you posted, you have an amazing spirit.  I hope you get whatever and whoever can help you continue your physical and emotional healing.  I hope that 2020 is the best year ever for you.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, WhereThereIsLife said:

Hope you don’t mind my pointing out a silly thought I had when I read this part:

I misread that as your car had been idling for the last 2 months, OF COURSE you are going to need a new battery.

Or at least I'd have to put more gas in the tank.

12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I admire the hell out of how you're dealing with all of this, though, the attitude you're putting out there. I love how you're able to find the humor in this crazy, absurd, awful situation you've found yourself in (this line made me laugh: "You're all vampires! I'll never help you steal all of the burritos!", as did your idea of being all, "Monster hand!" :D. Yeah. I'd definitely do that if I were you. Hehe), and I appreciate you opening up as you have about all you've been through. Your post is not only emotional and funny, it's also educational! If somebody reading this can take away some positive aspect of it that they can use to get through whatever rough times they're dealing with, too, all the better. 

Oddly enough, my Red Cross case worker said much the same thing. Says I helped pull him out of a depression last time we talked. I dunno. 

4 hours ago, emma675 said:

Sandman87, holy crap. I'm floored at what you posted. Your attitude is amazing, I don't know if I would be that strong. Did they determine the cause of the fire yet? It sounds like you woke up and the house was already engulfed. 

Pretty sure the fire was caused by Mom knocking a candle over. I was reading in another room at the time. Thank you Mr. Smoke Detector!

Going to return the laptop now, so no more replies for at least a while.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Or at least I'd have to put more gas in the tank.

Oddly enough, my Red Cross case worker said much the same thing. Says I helped pull him out of a depression last time we talked. I dunno. 

Pretty sure the fire was caused by Mom knocking a candle over. I was reading in another room at the time. Thank you Mr. Smoke Detector!

Going to return the laptop now, so no more replies for at least a while.

Good God, Almighty. Sandman87...you have been through hell on Earth. How frightening, and how crushing to lose one's mom and then to endure painful treatments for burns.  I wish we all lived in the same town so we could pitch in and help you. God bless you.

• Like 11

Ditto to everything everyone else has already said. And thank god someone is keeping an eye on those damned burrito-stealing vampires.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Holy crap @Sandman87 !  I've been gasping for breath reading your tale and all of the thoughtful replies.  I'm so very sorry for you losses, but I'm glad you'll recover.  I sincerely hope you have all the resources you need on that road. I hope we can give you at least a little bit of help here in some way.  Your attitude and humor are amazing and I'm sure will help you along the way.  All the best to you going forward!!

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Holy crap @Sandman87 ! 

Indeed. Holy crap @Sandman87 was exactly my thought very shortly into the story and only added a bunch more expletives and OMGs after that. Please stay as positive as you have unbelievably been so far and 2020 will definitely be better to you. (It damn well better be.)

• Like 10

On 12/28/2019 at 5:23 AM, Zola said:

This might sound like a dumb question, but bear with me.

TV cop shows in particular will make a comment about "take him Downtown, and book him!"

Where or what is "Downtown"? And does every city have one? (we don't use that term here in England, so I presume its a US thing)

You've heard of Petula Clark haven't you?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Happy New Year everybody!

I cooked a big pot of black-eyed peas (with leftover Christmas ham for flavoring) for lunch and plan to cook a skillet of cabbage (with more ham) for dinner.  This should take care of my luck (pork and peas) and prosperity (green veg for money). The only 'southern' New Year's food I don't have is cornbread (color represents gold wealth), but I'm beginning my healthy eating regimen again and cornbread isn't diet-friendly right now. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

You've heard of Petula Clark haven't you?

11 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I cooked a big pot of black-eyed peas (with leftover Christmas ham for flavoring) for lunch and plan to cook a skillet of cabbage (with more ham) for dinner.  This should take care of my luck (pork and peas) and prosperity (green veg for money). The only 'southern' New Year's food I don't have is cornbread (color represents gold wealth), but I'm beginning my healthy eating regimen again and cornbread isn't diet-friendly right now. 

Black-eyed peas and cornbread is the New Year's Day tradition my dad grew up with, so my mom - who does most of the cooking as she's infinitely better at it than he is - quite nicely makes a big pot of black-eyed peas (with the hock from the Christmas ham) for him every year, even though she finds them as disgusting as I do.  If I'm there, I make jalapeño cornbread, but at home I just have a normal meal; my New Year's tradition is Bloody Marys, bowl games, and taking down my Christmas decorations.

I only learned several years ago, either on this forum or TWoP, about it being part of some luck and prosperity superstition - to me, it was just something gross my dad's family ate (like the cornbread dressing my mom also nicely makes for him from his mom's recipe at Thanksgiving).  The for luck/prosperity thing wasn't why they did it in my dad's family (and there was no green portion of the meal, although maybe me adding jalapeño to the cornbread inadvertently covered that later), but they must have picked it up from that, since this was in Oklahoma.

• Like 3

It always makes me a bit sad to pack all the Christmas decorations away, so on the first I decided New Year's Day was the official end to the holiday season, and I could thus wait until the second.  When I woke up the next day, I wondered, "What can I come up with next?" and decided that since this year I don't have to go back to work until the sixth, the holiday season goes through Sunday the fifth.  Well, that's today, so I must take a break between football games to take the exterior lights down, and then I can get the tree and all the interior decorations taken care of this evening. 

I'm not the only procrastinator this year; only about half the people along my usual walk took their lights down on New Year's Day.  Of course, most of the holdouts took theirs down yesterday and here I still sit.  Oh well - it worked out great, because I no longer feel bummed to put it all away, nor do I feel like I waited so long it's ridiculous to still have it out.  I just wish I could twitch my nose to make it done, rather than having to actually heave the storage bins back up into their places.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It always makes me a bit sad to pack all the Christmas decorations away, so on the first I decided New Year's Day was the official end to the holiday season, and I could thus wait until the second.  When I woke up the next day, I wondered, "What can I come up with next?" and decided that since this year I don't have to go back to work until the sixth, the holiday season goes through Sunday the fifth.  Well, that's today, so I must take a break between football games to take the exterior lights down, and then I can get the tree and all the interior decorations taken care of this evening. 

I'm not the only procrastinator this year; only about half the people along my usual walk took their lights down on New Year's Day.  Of course, most of the holdouts took theirs down yesterday and here I still sit.  Oh well - it worked out great, because I no longer feel bummed to put it all away, nor do I feel like I waited so long it's ridiculous to still have it out.  I just wish I could twitch my nose to make it done, rather than having to actually heave the storage bins back up into their places.

Same here. Then I got the flu right after Christmas and heard on the radio that most keep their trees up until after the Epiphany, which is January 6th.

Well, I’m not a 100% yet, so my tree will have to wait until next weekend.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Y'all have nothing on my neighborhood hoarder. He keeps his lights up year round, although he only turns them on in December. He is currently putting a new roof on his house, for the last three weeks. The front and side roofs have shingles as of yesterday and the back is still bare. 

9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then I got the flu right after Christmas and heard on the radio that most keep their trees up until after the Epiphany, which is January 6th.

Maybe most religious Christians, rather than most people?  Because I only know one other person who still has her tree up, and in both our cases it's way too dry to turn the lights on anymore, and it's only still up because we haven't wanted to put the other decorations away yet.  And, like I said, virtually everyone in my neighborhood has taken their exterior lights down, so I assume their trees are gone, too.

(Epiphany is another thing I learned about either here or on TWoP.)

Just now, emma675 said:

Y'all have nothing on my neighborhood hoarder. He keeps his lights up year round, although he only turns them on in December.

People across the street from me do that.  They have additional decorations they bring out in December, and don't turn the lights on until then, but they have them up year-round.  Maybe it's too physically difficult to put them up/take them down each year, or maybe they're just lazy.  They're the ones who last year turned their lights on significantly early, and then within a day or two the people next to them had put their lights up and turned them on.  Thankfully, that did not happen again this year.

There have been some really pretty outdoor decorations the last few years.  I'm glad that trend of snowmen, Santas, etc. that only stand upright when they have air blowing into them seems to have gone the way of the dodo, because people only turned the blower on at night, so during the day it looked like there was trash - or dead Santas - strewn across people's lawns.

Okay, off I go to get the lights down.

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Maybe most religious Christians, rather than most people?  Because I only know one other person who still has her tree up, and in both our cases it's way too dry to turn the lights on anymore, and it's only still up because we haven't wanted to put the other decorations away yet.  And, like I said, virtually everyone in my neighborhood has taken their exterior lights down, so I assume their trees are gone, too.

(Epiphany is another thing I learned about either here or on TWoP.)

Probably. What do I know? The last time I had the tree up, I kept it up until February because I’d had my second mastectomy in early January. And since I live alone...

It's Twelfth Night, tomorrow is Three Kings Day, and Jan 7 is Orthodox Christmas. My xmas decorations will come down Wednesday. I'm not religious, I just like the decorations and am profoundly lazy.

• Like 4

The Epiphany is also known as Little Christmas or Old Christmas.  Lots of people around here use that as the time marker to put away decorations.  But since I don't put any decorations up, it doesn't really matter to me.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 1

The day all the tree drives happen to turn them into mulch decides when the tree comes down.

That is always the first Saturday after New Year so I back date to whatever day ensures its already down before I have to go back to work before that Saturday.

Whew - done.  Almost.  I still need to back the car out and put the bins on the overhead shelf in my garage, but my fun meter is pegged and there's no way I'm doing that tonight.  I had to reconfigure some things, since I'd acquired additional decorations this year, so that a) all the decorations would fit into the appropriate bin and b) I could get that bin up on top of a ladder.  Everything wound up fitting just perfectly, and I think I can still handle the weight, but my back will tell me tomorrow.

Boy, these two weeks went by quickly!

I have to go in for my extra boob squishing and ultrasound on Tuesday. I wasn't all that concerned until they said they wanted to look at both instead of the one that has the extra dense tissue. 

So since my superpower is jumping to the worst possible conclusion.... I have no idea what I'm going to do if I need surgery. I have no family here and just casual friends. My mom can travel but she can't leave my dad (and he can't travel). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I have to go in for my extra boob squishing and ultrasound on Tuesday. I wasn't all that concerned until they said they wanted to look at both instead of the one that has the extra dense tissue. 

So since my superpower is jumping to the worst possible conclusion.... I have no idea what I'm going to do if I need surgery. I have no family here and just casual friends. My mom can travel but she can't leave my dad (and he can't travel). 

Most likely they just want to do a comparison. It would be nice if they'd explain these things (instead of causing our minds to conjure up all kinds of scary stuff).  

• Like 4

You're at the age where it's still quite common to have dense breast tissue.  In fact, there are many who think screening mammograms for women at or below average risk should start at 50, not 40, because of the frequency - and resulting anxiety - of having to come in for ultrasound based on the mammogram, when nothing is actually amiss.  (I'm still in favor of 40, but I do take their point [based on having almost every risk factor there is, including several fibroadenomas, I had to start them in my 20s, so I'm not the "average or below-average risk" category they're talking about].)

Easier said than done, I know, but try to just take it as it comes, and know that Tuesday's tests will most likely show everything is fine.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

A few years ago when I had my first mammo they saw microcalcifications and I ended up getting a biopsy - thankfully benign.  But I barely got home from the screening mammo before they called me to come back for the diag one, even though the radiologist told me that it didn't look terribly concerning and they were just following up out of an abundance of caution.  Also, the reading I did at the time indicated that if they're just recommending additional screening the chance of anything being cancerous is <2%.  So even though this is an extra screening the fact that they didn't make you come back immediately is actually a really good sign.

But yeah, the uncertainty absolutely sucks and I sympathize with immediately jumping to worst-case scenarios because I do the same thing, but as much as possible try to tell yourself that it's just another screening and the odds really are in your favor.  We're all thinking good thoughts for you!

• Like 5

I need help re: bed sheets.  I bought a queen size mattress and when it arrived, I was surprised to see it was so thin (compared with most modern mattresses).  I decided to keep it, though (very firm and comfy), but then discovered my regular fitted bottom sheets "swim" on this 5" mattress.  I've spent almost an hour online searching for sheets but when I find them and am almost ready to order, I see the word "sateen". I loathe sateen sheets.  Just want plain, soft cotton sheets that aren't a wrinkled & krinkled mess when they come out of the dryer.  I looked up sleeper sofa sheets but every one I liked, again, said sateen. I've looked at Macy's, Penney's and Amazon.  Any ideas? Thanks.

21 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I need help re: bed sheets.

If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you they can be very helpful I'm finding what you need even if it's online.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I looked up sleeper sofa sheets but every one I liked, again, said sateen. I've looked at Macy's, Penney's and Amazon.  Any ideas? Thanks.

Bed Bath & Beyond?  I just took a quick look at the sheets section of their website, and the "fabric/fiber type" filter has a bunch of different kinds of cotton in addition to sateen.  See if they have something non-sateen and without deep pockets.  Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've looked at Macy's, Penney's and Amazon.  Any ideas? Thanks.

The last couple times I've bought sheets, it's been from Target and Costco.  Target probably has a better selection, but if you're a Costco member, don't count them out.  Both places are priced pretty fairly, too.  Good luck!

• Like 2

I've always found great deals and selections of sheets at Home Goods, Marshalls, and Tuesday Morning - well worth the trip to a store if there are any in your area.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Has anyone talked with @Sandman87? I was just reminded of her being in that awful fire and that she’s probably still in the hospital recovering. 

Thanks for posting this.  I honestly think about her every day and hope she's getting better. 

• Like 5

On 1/6/2020 at 10:20 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I need help re: bed sheets.  I bought a queen size mattress and when it arrived, I was surprised to see it was so thin (compared with most modern mattresses).  I decided to keep it, though (very firm and comfy), but then discovered my regular fitted bottom sheets "swim" on this 5" mattress.  I've spent almost an hour online searching for sheets but when I find them and am almost ready to order, I see the word "sateen". I loathe sateen sheets.  Just want plain, soft cotton sheets that aren't a wrinkled & krinkled mess when they come out of the dryer.  I looked up sleeper sofa sheets but every one I liked, again, said sateen. I've looked at Macy's, Penney's and Amazon.  Any ideas? Thanks.

If you’re not afraid to spend a bit  LL Bean has some of the best sheets. They’ll send sporadic 25% off coupons. It sounds like your mattress may be thinner than most today so keep that in mind. Measurements are listed. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

On 1/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Has anyone talked with @Sandman87? I was just reminded of her being in that awful fire and that she’s probably still in the hospital recovering. 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:24 PM, ebk57 said:

Thanks for posting this.  I honestly think about her every day and hope she's getting better. 

Last time I checked I was male. Hold on a minute...yep, still a dude. But thanks for thinking of me! I suppose an update is in order.

First, the good news: The wound on the skin grafts is almost completely healed, and I'll be heading home soon. They were going to send me homeward this Friday (the 17th), but...

The bad news: I have the flu, so the insurance company has reluctantly allowed the facility to extend my stay until they're sure I'm flu-less. Fortunately, it's pretty much run its course already (I had a flu shot back in September, which has kept it at the severity of a typical head cold) so it'll probably add less than a week to my stay. Still annoying. I'm ready to bounce out of here now.

Speaking of the flu, the whole facility has been on "lockdown" for a week to prevent everyone from getting sick. This basically means that the patients are supposed to keep to their rooms, the common dining area is temporarily closed, group activities have been postponed (the flu is a party pooper), and everyone wears medical masks. 

I lost one of my well-behaved roommates last week. In a good way, I mean. He went home. In his place they moved in someone who refuses to use the nurse call-button and needs a lot of attention. I estimate that he's calling for the nurse about once an hour, day and night. "Nurse! Nurse! Nurse!" (repeat until a passing nurse happens to hear him calling). I'm fairly sure that the law allows me to strangle him under these circumstances. Once again I'm thankful for the bountiful supply of earplugs here.

The other roomate got his hands on an audiobook reader about three weeks ago. As a result, I've been listening to the audiobook of War and Peace. The whole thing. He finally finished it today. Never have I listened to anything more boring. 

Entertainment: One of the local broadcast stations runs GRIT as one of their subchannels. Westerns all day long! Many of them are old B-movies, and a few of them are fairly bizarre. For example: Three Godfathers - A western retelling of the Nativity, with bank robbers as the Three Wise Men. I've also been using Pluto TV to overdose on the Addams Family, old Doctor Who, and anime.

Speaking of the Addams Family, I can do a pretty good Lurch imitation ever since the fire. "You rang?"

• Like 17

Something I should have realized due to the "man" part of @Sandman87!  

Glad you hear from you!  Hope you recover from the flu shortly and can get back out there to begin going forward.  Please continue to come by and let us know how it's going!  All my best thoughts to you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

Last time I checked I was male. Hold on a minute...yep, still a dude.

Oh, bless.  Recent posts left me thinking I had missed something obvious in your posts to make me wrong in my assumption that Sandman is a man (I mean, that could easily have been a wrong assumption, usernames being what they are, so I wouldn't have bet on it, so I didn't know what I'd failed to pick up on that indicated you were definitively a her/she).

I'm glad you're finally within a couple of weeks of being released!  Sorry it's not happening as soon as planned - and I hope you're not subjected to something else like War and Peace in the interim - though.  I hope you have someplace nice to go once you're out!

Thanks for checking back in.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6

@Sandman87 Very happy to hear that your days are numbered in the medical facility. I’m glad they aren’t messing around with the flu. Nobody needs it. Sorry about the gender mistake. I just think that you are a nice person going through a difficult time. I wish you a continuing speedy recovery.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I'm fairly sure that the law allows me to strangle him under these circumstances.

Absolutely. It's also probably covered by your insurance.

• Laugh 10