Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

9 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

@Mindthinkr We dodged a huge bullet with Dorian,hoping for the same for you guys. 

The destruction in the Bahamas is devestating.

Thanks. I have all of my preparations in place. The have begun evacuations in a lot of the areas, but not my neighborhood...yet. These are mandatory evacuations, but they shut off services (electricity, water, gas) which really does encourage people to go. Hee, when I see Jim Cantore in Wrightsville Beach I know that it’s going to hit the fan. So far there’s just another Weather Channel reporter. All of us who stayed through Florence will be staying and we are very good about checking on everyone and helping each other out. The kitties and I will be sleeping in my master bedroom closet with a battery operated fan. It does flood here. A few people down my street had water in their house. About a foot, but that’s enough to make a mess. Last year we couldn’t get out for 5 days as the area turned into an island.

Thank you @AgentRXS for thinking of me. We will get nowhere near the damage that the Bahamas suffered. That is so sad to see. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Stay safe, @Mindthinkr

Thanks. All I know is that my cable better be working by 7:30 pm next Monday so I can gleefully watch Alex Trebek make his return to Jeopardy. I do have priorities! I’m so grateful that he is done through going chemo and will be hosting. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thanks. All I know is that my cable better be working by 7:30 pm next Monday so I can gleefully watch Alex Trebek make his return to Jeopardy. I do have priorities! I’m so grateful that he is done through going chemo and will be hosting. 

I hope you have both cable and electricity!  I'm looking forward to Alex's return, too.

• Like 3

Hee, when I see Jim Cantore in Wrightsville Beach I know that it’s going to hit the fan.

I live near the beach in Florida and he showed up here this week.  Ended up that we got almost nothing as far as rain and wind and didn't even lose power.  He isn't always the sign of the devil.

• Like 2

Well Jim Cantore showed up. It’s bad. I heard a tornado over my house and it hit a few nearby and downed trees. Here is where the kitties and I are riding out the tornadoes and the worst of it tonight. 3DD97103-1B7B-4074-A11C-7B5AC3ABEE6E.jpeg.f68c1b2aa8dfa34864a6a84bb00e01d4.jpeg

Thats inside my master closet. Interior and no windows. It’s really gusting now. The neighbors are great. We have a text chain and are making sure everyone is well. Will lose the power any minute now, so I’ll see y’all when I get WiFi back. 

My very best to all others in the path of Dorian. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 15
  • Sad 4

Yikes, stay safe, Mindthinkr! Did your ears pop? The last tornado I was in made my ears pop when it went overhead and all the doors in the house slammed shut. It was crazy.

• Like 5

I’m happy to report that all is well here. I checked on my brother and his family (all ok) and my daughter and hers (all ok). Florence seemed worse because of the duration, but no hurricane is a picnic. We had over 90 mph winds for awhile and it howled and made some whistling noises (probably from air cracks that I’ll check out and get insulated). The kitties and I managed some sleep in my closet. Everyone on my street did well too. We have two brave men who went out DURING the hurricane to empty the drainage ponds, remove trees blocking our exits and roads (necessary for emergency services to get in if needed) and help the many who lost roofs and windows. Yippee...I have electricity which means hot tea and then a hot shower. Then I’ll be out to begin yard cleanup. Just branches, leaves, but nothing big. I’m lucky and continue to be grateful for all of your prayers and well wishes, my neighborhood ladies who kept a text chain going to check on everyone and offer support and that today I have no big worries. I’m continuing my well wishes for those still in the path of the storm. 32849139-0175-4758-BE0C-6761A6C57FD8.thumb.jpeg.2c6df95d99fd8f566b43ffa9f26a64e1.jpeg

Be well all. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 17

The store was crazy busy yesterday with people getting their hurricane supplies as if we in Charlotte, 200 miles inland, were going to be hit. Which is not to say that we haven't before, but this one certainly wasn't predicted to do anything at all. We had light winds and nothing else yesterday.

I guess I'm glad that people take these things seriously, but going bananas at the grocery store (when you might lose power and all your perishable food) is just overkill.

At any rate, I echo the others in saying I am glad you and the kitties are safe, @Mindthinkr

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I guess I'm glad that people take these things seriously, but going bananas at the grocery store (when you might lose power and all your perishable food) is just overkill.

But your bananas will be fine because you don't put those in the fridge:)

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Good to hear you made it through okay, @Mindthinkr. I love that your cats actually managed to get some sleep despite all the crazy weather-they sure looked pretty chill in your photo above :D. 

Also glad that all you need to clean up are a few branches and leaves and such, and that you've got electricity. Very lucky, indeed. Much respect to those guys who went out during the storm to help people-sounds like your neighborhood is in some really good hands with them and others who've been keeping tabs on each other and are ready to help out. May your neighborhood return to normal as soon as possible!

My aunt and uncle live in North Carolina, a short ways southeast of Raleigh. They're just far enough inland to where they missed the worst of the storm, as that had stayed on the coast. But I know they were under a tropical storm warning and a tornado watch yesterday and were still definitely close enough to get some of the outer effects. So we'll be checking in with them just to see how they're doing. 

• Like 5

@Annber03 I hope you find your relatives well and that all they had was wind and rain. My daughter lives up that way and their neighborhood made out well. Unlike Florence which didn’t seem to want to leave. 

Just heard on the news that the tornado I heard was an EF-1. Goodness knows that is bigger than anything I ever want to experience again. I now feel all the more for those in people in areas like Kansas, Nebraska etc that get them frequently. 

• Like 5

The outer rain bands have reached southern CT and that's about all we'll get. It looks like Block Island, which is on the CT/RI line about where Long Island Sound meets the real Atlantic, was evacuated (the TV is on mute but there was a story about the rocky ride of the last ferry).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Annber03 I hope you find your relatives well and that all they had was wind and rain. My daughter lives up that way and their neighborhood made out well. Unlike Florence which didn’t seem to want to leave. 

Just heard on the news that the tornado I heard was an EF-1. Goodness knows that is bigger than anything I ever want to experience again. I now feel all the more for those in people in areas like Kansas, Nebraska etc that get them frequently. 

Yikes. Yeah, even though that's at the lower end of the EF tornado scale, those can still do some pretty decent damage in their own right. It sounds like quite a few areas got banged up pretty good with tornadoes yesterday. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to deal with a hurricane and a tornado at the same time. Talk about your wind power. 

I live in Iowa, and I've been fortunate (*Knocks wood*) to not actually see a tornado up close, but we've definitely had some pretty scary close calls and plenty of tornado-warned storms over the years. It's not fun, no. 

• Like 1

Our local news showed a video tonight of a feed from someone's Ring doorbell in NC -- you couldn't actually see the tornado, but you could see the house lift off its foundation before the feed was lost.  Terrifying, but cool at the same time.  The people who live there weren't home, fortunately.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 2

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Our local news showed a video tonight of a feed from someone's Ring doorbell in NC -- you couldn't actually see the tornado, but you could see the house lift off its foundation before the feed was lost.  Terrifying, but cool at the same time.  The people who live there weren't home, fortunately.

It wasn't a hurricane-related tornado, but I remember seeing a video some guy had filmed once in which a tornado was bearing right down on his house. You can see the tornado coming right at his window, you can see the sky get darker and darker (we're talking almost pitch-black), and there's a house across the street that's there and fine one minute, the next, boom, it's gone. 

It's really eerie. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The store was crazy busy yesterday with people getting their hurricane supplies as if we in Charlotte, 200 miles inland, were going to be hit.

i-mFT9PSF-L.jpg

• Like 3
  • Laugh 7

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Quoting myself to add that weather.com has the video up in case anyone else wants to see it.  

• Like 2

It's a little disconcerting to see everyone's initial avs a different color now.  Which only goes to show I may have a little OCD issue... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

It's a little disconcerting to see everyone's initial avs a different color now.  Which only goes to show I may have a little OCD issue... 

Thank you for confirming that!  I thought I was just imagining things (or misremembering).

• Like 2

For the person who clipped my passenger side mirror in the parking lot of a car that I have had less than a month.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would, but there's that allergy thing...

Ok, consider yourself covered. I gave my two kitties an extra one for you. 

Edited by Mindthinkr · Reason: Added a word.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ok, consider yourself covered. I gave my two kitties an extra one for you. 

Thanks!  Now, if they were puppies, I'd be all about giving them hugs and belly rubs!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Per Macy’s, FREQUENTLY bought together. 

Who are these people?! This is going to be bothering me all day. 

6B9B4A50-BEF4-49F4-BB0D-87BC8ECCA2AC.jpeg

Instead of drinking beer in the shower, they want smoothies in the shower?  I dunno.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of drinking beer in the shower, they want smoothies in the shower?  I dunno.

Do we think they went to Macy’s with the goal of getting both a blender and a shower head?

Did shopping for a blender make these people suddenly think, “you know what, as long as I’m going to be eating more kale, I should really be cleaner”?

Did shopping for a new shower head trigger a train of thought that somehow went from a need for warm water to a need for crushed ice?  

So many questions...

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

It makes me think of Seinfeld, when Kramer started doing other tasks in the shower to save time, including installing a garbage disposal in there.  So a blender plus a shower head immediately took me to Kramer making a salad in the shower.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

On 9/13/2019 at 9:53 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Happy Full Moon Friday the 13th

9F41F36E-A6FC-4680-9528-52F342669FBA.thumb.jpeg.bd5f1ec338e0dc9ef87ae3ea664e4fe8.jpeg

Awwww, looks just like mine when she was a kitten ❤️

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The only thing I could come up with is that both these things are the type of things people buy as wedding presents. Maybe they figured just one of them wasn't a good enough present, so they bought two items.  

• Useful 2

7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

6B9B4A50-BEF4-49F4-BB0D-87BC8ECCA2AC.jpeg

Fans of Kramer?  He cooked (or more precisely did the prep work) in the shower to save time.

• Like 1

This seemed to be the most appropriate place to post this. It's just so sad:

Sperm Beach Whale in Ocean City Died.

Not much information on how/why it ended up on the shores of Ocean City, MD. I first heard about it shortly after news broke that a beached whale was found near 113th or 114th Street. I'm thinking that there should be a Marine Animal Rescue Team closer to the beaches, than having to wait over four hours for the one from the National Aquarium in Baltimore to arrive. Who knows? If they'd arrived sooner, maybe they could have saved it?

Yeah, yeah, I know, 'woulda, coulda, shoulda...' I'm still sad.

• Sad 4

I got the strangest call today. It came from a Dr’s practice where I had previously had treatment. Evidently the $600 dollar test that I had in January of 2016 had clotted and they were unable to preform the test on the sample. I was gobsmacked. Why didn’t they call me years back when this happened? Now they want me to come in and redo the test (on my own dime). WTF. 

• Surprise 5

33 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got the strangest call today. It came from a Dr’s practice where I had previously had treatment. Evidently the $600 dollar test that I had in January of 2016 had clotted and they were unable to preform the test on the sample. I was gobsmacked. Why didn’t they call me years back when this happened? Now they want me to come in and redo the test (on my own dime). WTF. 

If you or your doctor don't already know the test results, do they matter?  And  if they charged your insurance company for that test, is that insurance fraud?

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

According to a robo-call I just received, the Chinese Consulate in Los Angeles is waiting for an important document from me. I'm not Chinese and I don't know anyone who is Chinese. Block.

• Laugh 9

Glad everyone made it through Dorian ok. Tornados scare me.  Saw one a few years back; storms had been happening all week just to the north of me.  I could see the dark clouds, hear thunder, see some lightening in the distance, but we got nothing.  I watched one early evening, as the clouds looked weird.  I kept seeing some start swirling around, then went nah, you're letting your imagination go wild.  Sure enough, I turned on the tv, and they said here's a shot of a tornado taken by people along xxxx road.  Crap, I did see a tornado.  Thankfully, it touched down in an empty field.  But we still had zero rain, etc.  It was eerily quiet the entire time.

Well I was already in a major funk, not feeling up to par physically (cold I got from family over Labor Day doesn't want to completely leave me - nor them).  Then I am going to be in the doghouse over some shit at work (didn't catch someone else's mistakes - I caught some but not all).  Then mom is in a major, major, major meltdown mode this past week and this week.  I didn't call her Sunday afternoon (which I didn't know was mandatory - apparently it is) so now she's pouting.  Whatever.  

I'm bored, blah, and I think maybe some wine will be opened tonight.  I need to clean and organize stuff big time, but no energy and I really don't care.   

Doesn't help that one good work friend got a job where they can work remote all the time (then starts complaining about it).  

The French Toast emergency scale made me laugh.  It's crazy here around the first snow.  We maybe get one major snow per year, with some 3 to 4 inch storms thrown in for good measure.  The stores are packed.  Not like there are stores within a few miles of everyone, and it's not a situation where we'll be inside for days!  I typically will get stuff and/or stay stocked up ahead of time.  Not looking forward to winter one bit.  I really need to move farther south.

So, I saw the list of named Atlantic storms for the rest of 2019 this morning after seeing that tropical storm Jerry is now out in the ocean and powering up.

Of note, when we get to K, it'll be Hurricane Karen. Get your Photoshop powered up right now, because you're going to want to get a head start on the internet by putting the Karen haircut on a satellite picture of a hurricane and start churning out memes.

Storm "O", if we get there, will be Hurricane Olga. Good, strong name for a storm. People will evacuate if they hear Olga is bearing down on them.

• Like 5