Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

21 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Can anyone identify this tool?

unknown.jpg

It's either a vice or a clamp of some kind, or a torture instrument.

• Laugh 1

Can anyone identify this tool?

Ooh, is this a new game? Or did you find something and really want to know what it is? I think Moose's link is correct. I also think it would be fun to have a new topic where we post photos of antique thingamajigs and see who knows what they are. I saw an old TV show once that did that and thought it was interesting. In other news …

I also miss hearing from @riley702 and pray she is at peace.

@Bastet, adding my good wishes for you and your family.

My dad is in the hospital with what I assume is heart failure. He was having trouble breathing and they are giving him Lasix via an I.V. I was on a deadline today and didn't get by the hospital in time to see the doctor, so I don't have all the info, but the nurse said his vitals were good all day and his breathing sounds much better. When I took him in Monday, he was very wheezy. Hopefully he will get to come home tomorrow.

I have strong perfectionist tendencies about my work, which serves me well in my career. It also causes me tons of stress in my career. This week I had to deliver a project and I swear the thing was snakebit. Some of the problems couldn't have been prevented, but I also ended up stressing about tiny details that I am pretty sure no one else would notice unless I pointed them out.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, forumfish said:

Ooh, is this a new game? Or did you find something and really want to know what it is? I think Moose's link is correct. I also think it would be fun to have a new topic where we post photos of antique thingamajigs and see who knows what they are. I saw an old TV show once that did that and thought it was interesting.

Simply wanted to know what it was-- but you're right; I think that we need some kind of fun diversion like that where people take guesses as to what certain obscure things are!

• Like 3

On 3/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, Bastet said:

(mine are only verbal, other than organ donation, so I do need to get on that, but both of my parents' are legally sound)

Bastet!  For.......WHATEVER'S sake!   Aren't you a fucking LAWYER?   You DO need to get on that!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Bastet!  For.......WHATEVER'S sake!   Aren't you a fucking LAWYER?   You DO need to get on that!

That's what I said.  🙂  But if I wind up in that situation while my parents are alive, I don't have any concerns they won't honor my wishes, since they know them and are on the same wavelength about these things.  There's no one else with standing to object.  So it hasn't been all that urgent, but it should be done on general principle, and just in case some doctor/hospital administrator would be a problem; one of these days when I'm procrastinating at work, I'll draft it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's what I said.  🙂  But if I wind up in that situation while my parents are alive, I don't have any concerns they won't honor my wishes, since they know them and are on the same wavelength about these things.  There's no one else with standing to object.  So it hasn't been all that urgent, but it should be done on general principle, and just in case some doctor/hospital administrator would be a problem; one of these days when I'm procrastinating at work, I'll draft it.

I don’t know about your state but mine (and the Federal) get a portion if there’s no will. Get on with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t know about your state but mine (and the Federal) get a portion if there’s no will. Get on with it. 

I have a living trust.  This was about making sure your health care wishes are known before the time comes.  I'm fine, folks, really.

• Like 4

This is fun: Do an Internet search for Florida Man and your birthday.

I got Florida Man Ends Stand-off For a Slice of Pizza

• Like 2

My birthday "Florida man" results aren't funny, but I found two connected to Texas, where I live, so that's oddly satisfying.

This reminds me of the "Google your name" thing that was popular way back when. My name's the same as a TV character so that's not much fun for me, either.

Maybe I should stay off the 'net and get back to work? Nah!

• Like 1

I have zero fucks to give about what Florida Man was doing on my birthday.  But I once read a news story about a Florida Woman who was pulled over by Highway Patrol for shaving her pussy while driving.

• Laugh 2

26 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

But I once read a news story about a Florida Woman who was pulled over by Highway Patrol for shaving her pussy while driving.

That was the basis for a book by Carl Hiaasen, "Razor Girl".   It's a very funny book.   

• Laugh 2

I'm taking advantage of the fact that it's a beautiful day (high 60s, low humidity, bright blue cloudless sky) to do some yard work.  And, it's nice and reasonably quiet outside (the only other people outside are either working in their yards or getting in or out of their vehicles as they come and go. I would love to be able to work outside today until dark, but I don't think my energy will last that long.  I'll toil as long as I can, though.  I'm getting a lot done and working off calories (I'm trying to lose significant weight before I go back to my doctor, and every bit helps).  

Edited by BooksRule · Reason: typo
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I'm taking advantage of the fact that it's a beautiful day (high 60s, low humidity, bright blue cloudless sky) to do some yard work.  And, it's nice and reasonably quiet outside (the only other people outside are either working in their yards or getting in or out of their vehicles as they come and go. I would love to be able to work outside today until dark, but I don't think my energy will last that long.  I'll toil as long as I can, though.  I'm getting a lot done and working off calories (I'm trying to lose significant weight before I go back to my doctor, and every bit helps).  

You will sleep better tonight too with all that fresh air. I did the same a few days ago. The next day I hurt in places that I couldn’t even imagine were getting worked out. Epsom salts help if the same happens to you and I sincerely hope that it doesn’t. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

You will sleep better tonight too with all that fresh air. I did the same a few days ago. The next day I hurt in places that I couldn’t even imagine were getting worked out. Epsom salts help if the same happens to you and I sincerely hope that it doesn’t.

I'm hoping I'll sleep good tonight (and working up a good appetite will make my very healthy dinner taste better, too).  After working in the yard all day, I'm usually really sore (back and knees, mostly) the next day.  My mom used to call it being 'all stove up'.  It'll get better as I start to move around, although after a hard day working in the yard, I usually have to take the next day to not be quite as active.  I'll see, though.  (I've got a lot to do in the yard). 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I'm hoping I'll sleep good tonight (and working up a good appetite will make my very healthy dinner taste better, too).  After working in the yard all day, I'm usually really sore (back and knees, mostly) the next day.  My mom used to call it being 'all stove up'.  It'll get better as I start to move around, although after a hard day working in the yard, I usually have to take the next day to not be quite as active.  I'll see, though.  (I've got a lot to do in the yard). 

After working in the yard all day, I used to come inside and lie on the floor with a flat pillow under my head and my knees bent. Did wonders to stretch out my back.

I wish I had time to do yardwork this weekend, but I'm behind on other projects after last week was spent running back and forth to the hospital to check on Dad. Y'all will laugh at this (I hope) -- a month or so ago, Dad was being a bit of a pill, and I told Mom that if I could send him somewhere for a week, I could get so much done around the house. While he was in the hospital, of course I had less time than I normally do, and Mom and I laughed that I should have been more specific with my wish.

• Like 4

April is bulk trash month in my town and I wanted to get everything prepped for dragging to the curb next weekend. As long as I'm (still) waging war on pantry moths, might as well purge. Then I woke up at 2:30 a.m. Thursday with a stomach ache, and the same early Friday morning because I was an idiot and ate normally Thursday. All I've eaten since Friday morning is crackers. I risked a banana this morning. I barely have the energy to brush my teeth so the cleaning has to wait. Even the idea of doing laundry is too much and I've ordered underwear and sweatpants from Amazon.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ABay said:

April is bulk trash month in my town and I wanted to get everything prepped for dragging to the curb next weekend. As long as I'm (still) waging war on pantry moths, might as well purge. Then I woke up at 2:30 a.m. Thursday with a stomach ache, and the same early Friday morning because I was an idiot and ate normally Thursday. All I've eaten since Friday morning is crackers. I risked a banana this morning. I barely have the energy to brush my teeth so the cleaning has to wait. Even the idea of doing laundry is too much and I've ordered underwear and sweatpants from Amazon.

Sorry to hear that you aren’t feeling well and eating is difficult for you. Get some rest. The chores won’t run away from you. 

• Like 3

It’s still too cold here to do anything outside. It might be warm enough by May. Then I will go crazy and buy too many annuals. I usually do all my planting on the Sunday of a long weekend and then spend Monday complaining about how I’ve got the sciatica. Just like my grandma used to do.

@ABay, I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 3

Even though we had a little rain this morning, I decided to work in the yard for a little while this afternoon.  I decided to come in after about an hour of pulling weeds, though.  My numb fingers and toes let me know that it was too chilly to stay outside longer.  I got a good bit done, though.

• Like 1

Is it just me or has these Everything Else forums really slowed down in traffic since the forum switchover?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Is it just me or has these Everything Else forums really slowed down in traffic since the forum switchover?

It's not just you.  I can't believe how many times I check this category, only to see there are no new posts.  :~(

Edited by walnutqueen · Reason: I also can't believe how many errors my fucked up fingers make while trying to type a simple sentence.
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

The homepage reorganization really seemed to peeve some people off. I use the personalized homepage so I still see what I follow in alphabetical order instead of categorized. I wonder if the reorg and turning so many forums into single threads frustrated and peeved people off enough that they left or at the very least quit making posts.

• Like 4

I haven't personalised my homepage since the site reboot, and as a result I watch much less tv than I used to (shows being bolded on my previous home page meant there were new episodes or at least talk of, so I knew there was more to watch). And while I used to love reading about tv shows, and that was almost an incentive to watch more, I'm finding it nice to have a clean slate now. I'm watching one drama, one comedy, one reality tv, and reading Everything else. I'm sure shows I would have watched have started again, but really, I'm using the time they have freed for me to spend my evening otherwise, I do more of watching movies, reading, going out, talking with friends on the phone, etc., so I ended up being quite grateful that these changes have (so far) freed me from the habit of keeping up with shows via my customised page which is now gone.

On the flip side, I've come here less often and I feel even more of a lurker than before. On most threads, I've not been able to move to the last post seen and was sent back to 2016, so I started just going to the last page, and I realize I've missed a lot when I have no idea what people are talking about - first world problem, I know 🙂 

I only log in when I'm going to post and I don't follow or subscribe or whatever, so the new redesign doesn't do anything for me. I do find it harder to find less popular show topics, since they are grouped under "other" headings.

That's not why I haven't posted as much, though -- I just haven't had much time, with my Dad's health problems and a couple of project deadlines. I did deliver a project today, though, so that will free me up a bit. Then again, I need to get started on the family's taxes. I think I read there are new forms this year? I'd better get on that.  ;)

Howdy y'all!  I hope you're all doing great!  I'm gone a few months and there are so many changes. It took me half an hour to figure out where you guys were. And the craziest thing @JTMacc99 is a mod?!  I need to check in more often. 

I've only caught up on the pet thread. @Moose135, your new baby is gorgeous. She looks so much like my Kaylee, Kaylee had the same white face with the same mark around the eye. I'm trying to post a picture of her.  They look so much alike, the only difference is Kaylee's eye patch was a red/brown.  They have the same soft lovable, snuggable fur.  Damn I miss that dog. 

I'm going to go catch up on this thread and the others. 

I just got back from ten days in Alaska with my son. Had the best time ever!!!! I'm doing my bucket list.  Next is a summer road trip with me, my guy and the grandkids. First stop Grand Canyon!  

Take care!! 

• Like 10

Welcome back @Maharincess! I’m glad to hear that you’re doing well, and that Alaska trip  sounds great.

I don’t know if it is the craziest thing.  🙂 I heard chicks dig guys with a badge, and nothing else was working...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Wait, JTMacc99 is a moderator now?!? Great, now we're all going to have to be on our best behavior around here. Somebody better warn walnutqueen.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

16 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Wait, JTMacc99 is a moderator now?!? Great, now we're all going to have to be on our best behavior around here. Somebody better warn walnutqueen.

walnutqueen has been warned often enough to get her banned for life.  Eventually, her transgressions will catch up with her.

@Maharincess and I go back aways - we're old timers, fer sure!  I'm glad one of us is living life to the fullest.  :~)

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

47 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Wait, JTMacc99 is a moderator now?!? Great, now we're all going to have to be on our best behavior around here.

Are we going to have to treat him with respect and all now?

😜😜😜

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

On 4/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, Jaded said:

The homepage reorganization really seemed to peeve some people off. I use the personalized homepage so I still see what I follow in alphabetical order instead of categorized. I wonder if the reorg and turning so many forums into single threads frustrated and peeved people off enough that they left or at the very least quit making posts.

It hasn't stopped me from posting but I still haven't quite figured out how everything works.  I'm still cool down here in the basement threads.  It's the forum threads that are kind of throwing me.  

Because of a conversation in another thread, I'm bingeing on Burn Notice this weekend. Man, I forgot how obnoxious Fiona was about their relationship the first season. She's mostly fantastic otherwise...although maybe she could get a pair of pants to go under the shirts she wears as dresses. Which also reminds me of how tired I got of seeing asses in bikinis with no reciprocity with regard to hot, scantily clad males. But on the whole, enjoying the show.

• Like 1

I thought this would be fun to do! Just put down what you have as your avatar along with your profile picture and why you chose it.

For my avatar, I chose a then and now picture of Jonathan Taylor Thomas. For the profile picture, I chose the Home Improvement cast.

My avatar is my former foster kitten, Adam. The photographer for the rescue organization who adopted him out took this photo, and I just think it was a gorgeous shot. He's now 5 years old, fat and happy in his forever home. My profile pic is my own personal kitties, Diamond and Ella on my bed. 

• Like 5

Tom Lehrer's 91st birthday was Tuesday and today is (per Google's cartoon) the 100th anniversary of Walter Gropius founding the Bauhaus. And you know what that means: time for a rousing chorus from "Alma"! Give it a minute because there's a spoken intro. I use that line about Mozart al the time, adjusting the number of years as time goes on.

While married to Gus she met Gropius and soon she was swinging with Walter/Gus died and her teardrops were copious; she cried all the way to the altar...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I hope mine is obvious.  It is, at least to me.  I really love reading folklore, fairy tales, legends and mythology. 

• Like 1

Last night dh & I watched a doc.....

"The Funeral: Charles Manson".

Can't find it a forum for it in here. Anyone else watch this ?

1 hour ago, Taylorh2 said:

Last night dh & I watched a doc.....

"The Funeral: Charles Manson".

Can't find it a forum for it in here.

You can make a thread in Specials, TV Movies & Other One-Offs, or discuss it in the Documentaries thread, but that's in the Movies forum and it sounds like this was made for TV (Reelz).

I'm just sick over the Notre Dame cathedral burning. I was there with my mom about 15 years ago and it was gorgeous. The history and beauty in that building is overwhelming, I can't imagine there will be much left after today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm just sick over the Notre Dame cathedral burning. I was there with my mom about 15 years ago and it was gorgeous. The history and beauty in that building is overwhelming, I can't imagine there will be much left after today.

I'm sick about it, too, and I've never been there.  It's just such an iconic piece of the Paris landscape, that it's hard to imagine the city without it.  Heartbreaking.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

There are some posts in the Misc Celebrity News thread. According to CNN, the 2 main towers are safe and firefighters are trying to rescue as much of the art as possible.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 8

I am not sure where on the site to post this, so I am trying this thread.

I am unable to view the new site effectively on Night View due to the bright white/bold Primetimer header.  This is not a complaint.  I have been around since the site was Mighty Big TV (prior to PTV).

I had a Help thread, and it was answered in a polite and timeful way.  The new header is here to stay, and a gray color option is understandably not an option.  

The best solution I have found is a folded index card.  Does anyone know of a better way to keep the dark theme?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

The best solution I have found is a folded index card.  Does anyone know of a better way to keep the dark theme?

There's a thread at the bottom of the main forums page under Site Business for Bugs and Questions.

SilverStormm usually answers quickly. They might be able to modify the header text to light gray or something for the dark theme. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I am not sure where on the site to post this, so I am trying this thread.

I am unable to view the new site effectively on Night View due to the bright white/bold Primetimer header.  This is not a complaint.  I have been around since the site was Mighty Big TV (prior to PTV).

I had a Help thread, and it was answered in a polite and timeful way.  The new header is here to stay, and a gray color option is understandably not an option.  

I have the same problem - that glaring white bold really bothers my eyes.  Too bad TPTB can't (or won't) tone it down.  I like your idea of a folded index card; I'm using a Post-It.

16 hours ago, palmaire said:

There's a thread at the bottom of the main forums page under Site Business for Bugs and Questions.

SilverStormm usually answers quickly. They might be able to modify the header text to light gray or something for the dark theme. 

Already asked and answered in that forum, like the poster mentioned.

• Like 1