Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

33 minutes ago, backformore said:

Not quite.   A golden retriever is basically a yellow lab with LONG HAIR.   

When we had a golden, we used to vacuum the family room every day.  I never considered a robot vacuum, because I assumed it would choke on the amount of fur it would pick up.  

I had both at the same time for seven years. 

The golden created tumbleweeds. The lab is totally worse. He never stops shedding, both coats, 24/7

• Like 6

They like to cross labs with Golden’s for guide dogs.  Apparently, the combination seems to breed out the problems with both breeds.  I am not entirely sure what each one’s trademark problems are in this regard.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 4:51 PM, JTMacc99 said:

The golden created tumbleweeds. The lab is totally worse. He never stops shedding, both coats, 24/7

We were out Sunday with Denali, the Australian Shepherd.  Someone stopped to fuss over her, and asked us if she sheds a lot.  We told her "She only sheds twice a year - 6 months in the summer, and 6 months in the winter."

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 15

Unexpected Bonus!

I stopped by Randalls (Vons & Pavilions in CA) yesterday for milk.  At the entrance they had a big display of Kellogg's cereal on sale, 4 for $8 and you got 2 24 packs of bottled water too - so good deal, right?  Better than anything, the cereal on sale included Crispix which my children love love love!  And it rarely goes on sale or is excluded from various promotions of other Kellogg cereal.

Of course I bought 4 boxes of Crispix and got the 2 packs of bottled water (it still hurricane season folks).  I'll probably go back today and buy more Crispix too.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I ADORE Crispix! It seems like it gets harder and harder to find.

OK. What does this magical cereal taste like? I’ve never heard of them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

OK. What does this magical cereal taste like? I’ve never heard of them. 

It looks like a piece of Chex cereal but it’s corn on one side and rice on the other. It makes a superior snack mix.

• Like 5

So someone in South Carolina won the winning Megamilllions ticket and my friend in SC deactivated her Facebook account overnight.....hmmmm.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

So someone in South Carolina won the winning Megamilllions ticket and my friend in SC deactivated her Facebook account overnight.....hmmmm.....

That's interesting.  But, my sister also lives in SC, so unless you're friends with my sis, you're out of luck:)

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 6:57 PM, Scatterbrained said:

They like to cross labs with Golden’s for guide dogs.  Apparently, the combination seems to breed out the problems with both breeds.  I am not entirely sure what each one’s trademark problems are in this regard.

Hmm... The only "problems" I can think of for these two breeds are that Goldens are unreasonably needy of attention, complete velcro dogs, and that labs, especially yellow labs, have traded some brain cells in exchange for friendliness. 

So maybe slightly brighter than a lab and slightly less needy than a Golden. 

• Like 5

On 10/23/2018 at 2:13 PM, theredhead77 said:

Procrastination pays off. Amazon has this as their deal of the day 

http://a.co/d/aN1hKBS

And back it goes. It's just slightly too tall to fit under the couch and under the couch was the main reason I bought it. I even measured ahead of time. I'm so bummed!

There was a discussion about teachers earlier this week in the Pet Peeve thread. When I saw this on Facebook it reminded me of it.

• Like 3

I bought two nice, big pumpkins for seed harvesting (the only thing pumpkins are good for). Cut open the first one and the inside is dry and the seeds were all dried out. I opened the second one and it was beautiful. I'm so bummed!

I do make a point to buy the lumpy ones that aren't good for carving because I don't put them out (no where to put them so I don't bother carving them).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

Anyone know where I can find something like these: Cardboard hanging file boxes?

I use daily to use them a lot for work.  I am packing up a house and these are ideal for moving books and magazines.  I especially liked the hinged lid (doesn’t fall off and get lost), in addition to the handles, and size.

It looks like the company merged or partnered with the company hat makes Bankers Box. I searched for "hinged bankers box" and got a few hits. Bankers Box with Attached Lid got some results too. If you can make do without the hinge there are numerous options if you look for "bankers box"

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/124262/Bankers-Box-Earth-Series-Systematic-100percent/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Storage-_-124262&gclid=CjwKCAjwmdDeBRA8EiwAXlarFt71s49EPVv6a9-88WQ3J1ZQcJxMBBXDNPL0obo1Ug8o58hmrHuL3hoCSSsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.bankersbox.com/us/en/Products/Pages/product-details.aspx?prod=US-0005502&cat=RECORDS-STORAGE&subcat=STORAGE-BOXES&tercat=

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 6:12 PM, theredhead77 said:

I bought two nice, big pumpkins for seed harvesting (the only thing pumpkins are good for). Cut open the first one and the inside is dry and the seeds were all dried out. I opened the second one and it was beautiful. I'm so bummed!

I do make a point to buy the lumpy ones that aren't good for carving because I don't put them out (no where to put them so I don't bother carving them).

I fuckin' love the manager at my local Sprouts. When I first moved and was musing over some raspberries he told me they had some Driscoll brand in the back (Driscol = best brand!) and they would be putting them out shortly. I told him how much I love Sprouts, the produce is superior to Kroger / Ralphs and Publix (and Safeway/Vons in CA) and mentioned I had just moved from CA. Turns out he was part of the national team that opened the store that was opened in the city my parents live in. 

Anyway, any time I go in he remembers me, always says hi, etc... So I went in today to pick up tomatoes and another couple pumpkins. I told him about the bad one, how all I use them for is seed harvesting and he gave me not 1, but TWO, for free. Pumpkin seed crisis averted. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

It looks like the company merged or partnered with the company hat makes Bankers Box. I searched for "hinged bankers box" and got a few hits. Bankers Box with Attached Lid got some results too. If you can make do without the hinge there are numerous options if you look for "bankers box"

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/124262/Bankers-Box-Earth-Series-Systematic-100percent/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Storage-_-124262&gclid=CjwKCAjwmdDeBRA8EiwAXlarFt71s49EPVv6a9-88WQ3J1ZQcJxMBBXDNPL0obo1Ug8o58hmrHuL3hoCSSsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.bankersbox.com/us/en/Products/Pages/product-details.aspx?prod=US-0005502&cat=RECORDS-STORAGE&subcat=STORAGE-BOXES&tercat=

Thanks for trying.  Bankers boxes are a different size.  I use them too, but they are too large for me to carry when filled books and magazines.  So happy to hear that your pumpkin crisis was averted.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

Is the price for just one?  Or is the price for more than one?

It says 3/bundle.

7 hours ago, emma675 said:

Has anyone heard from Riley lately?

I've been wondering that myself.  Her last post on PTV was September 19th.  Prayers and candles.

• Like 5

We went to see Hamilton last night here in Charlotte. Amazing show! It opened here in early October and runs through this weekend. They had a lottery for tickets, a friend of the GF got 4 tickets, and her husband scored another 2, so they sold that pair to us. Not cheap, but worth it! At the end of the show, when the cast came out to take their bows, the actor playing King George made a pitch for donations to the Broadway Cares non-profit organization, then said "I have one more favor to ask of you: next Tuesday, go vote!"

• Like 12

Question: If you were to start a TV-based blog (inspiration from PTV and, to a lesser extend, TWOP) what would the first post be? I have maybe a dozen different topics I want to write about but am not sure what to write first! I already have an "About Me" page that lists the shows I am interested in and will most likely be writing about. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

On a more general note, I am so happy it's Friday. Thursday is always a very busy day for me. Work, then errands, doing my civic duty (voting) and then a nice coffee date with a close friend. Came home and got ready for my two hour TV watch. While watching a show on NBC, I saw a promo for Jimmy Fallon Live which included Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake. Was too tired to stay up for that, though. Also, for some reason, I'm not all that crazy about Jimmy Fallon! Am I the only one feeling this way?

39 minutes ago, JNM5505 said:

Also, for some reason, I'm not all that crazy about Jimmy Fallon! Am I the only one feeling this way?

No, I've never really been a fan of his, I rarely watch any of his late night show.

• Like 5

He’s always struck me as the kid in school who was funny(ish) but the desperation to be liked & the center of attention was a little too obvious.  

Not a fan of much of his comedy nor his late show - too fawning, but I’m never convinced it is sincere.

• Like 5

There is a high of 70 degrees today with 54% humidity and the sky is bright blue.  So, I'm taking advantage of the beautiful weather to work in the yard.  I'm getting another flower bed cleaned out.  I'm just about out of energy now, but I would really like to get at least one big bed cleared, so I'm going back outside.  I think we're supposed to get some rain tomorrow (definitely on Monday), so this might be my last chance until next weekend (I had been doing some work after work some days, but the time change this weekend will put a stop to that, since it will be dark when I leave work each day).

• Like 3

I recently bought the Shark vacuum from BBB thanks to the recs here.  I am very impressed with how it works.  The online price was cheaper (approx. $20) so I used the order online, pickup in store option, and then I also used the 20% off coupon.  Thanks for the recommendation.  It was SO NICE to not have to do my own research!

ETA: I also got gift cards for BBB from Kroger prior to the purchase for gas points.  :)

i bought some other gift cards as well.  Anyway, we filled the tank for $1 off per gallon.

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Like 4

Divine Intervention Oil

Flipping thru the channels and came across the *Robyn Davis Ministries on a religious channel.

They were encouraging people to call their 800 number to receive a free bottle  of "Divine Intervention Oil"

The line was to "anoint yourself/house/friends with this oil to ward off witchcraft/evil spirits"

OMG!!!!!     Are they serious ?!!!!!!!!!

The bottle is free with no shipping cost ,etc

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Divine Intervention Oil

Flipping thru the channels and came across the *Robyn Davis Ministries on a religious channel.

They were encouraging people to call their 800 number to receive a free bottle  of "Divine Intervention Oil"

The line was to "anoint yourself/house/friends with this oil to ward off witchcraft/evil spirits"

OMG!!!!!     Are they serious ?!!!!!!!!!

The bottle is free with no shipping cost ,etc

Several years ago I was flipping through channels and came upon a different televangelist, but it was pretty much the same spiel.  The difference was that you got holy water along with the oil.  I'm not a fan of TV preachers, so I decided to order a free supply to waste a bit of their time and postage costs.  When it arrived, Mr. M read the enclosed solicitation letter in a hilarious, televangelist tone of voice and then the paper shredder had a nice snack.  

However, we began to get several mailings from the "ministry" every week.  I had walked right into their trap to get another name and address for their mailing list.  Even the outsides of the envelopes were printed with solicitations for money, and many of them needed my URGENT attention.  I didn't open most of them, but the gist of the materials I did read was that I owed money to the Lord and they were His registered agent.  They would accept a small amount, but if I wanted a big, mind blowing miracle, I needed to send a big, mind blowing sacrificial gift.  Clearly, the only obstacle between me and fame and fortune was the fact that I hadn't given this ministry any money.  Oops, I mean I hadn't give the good Lord any money.

The way the materials are written, the "urgency" isn't that the ministry wants your money.  Of course not.  These matters are urgent because YOU need to pay up to receive YOUR miracle and blessings.  Looking at sickness, divorce, financial problems?  Make a sacrificial donation and let the miracles and blessings begin!  Vulnerable people fall for this tactic and they know it.  They would take a senior citizen's entire SS check and not think twice about it.  

After a while, the number of letters began to decrease, but they never did stop completely.  Every now and then, one still lands in our mailbox.  I'm guessing all of their money comes from low income people in desperate need and senior citizens.  What kind of person can do this and still sleep at night?

Edited by MonicaM · Reason: Accidentally submitted too soon
  • Like 10

19 hours ago, MonicaM said:

Several years ago I was flipping through channels and came upon a different televangelist, but it was pretty much the same spiel.  The difference was that you got holy water along with the oil.  I'm not a fan of TV preachers, so I decided to order a free supply to waste a bit of their time and postage costs.  When it arrived, Mr. M read the enclosed solicitation letter in a hilarious, televangelist tone of voice and then the paper shredder had a nice snack.  

However, we began to get several mailings from the "ministry" every week.  I had walked right into their trap to get another name and address for their mailing list.  Even the outsides of the envelopes were printed with solicitations for money, and many of them needed my URGENT attention.  I didn't open most of them, but the gist of the materials I did read was that I owed money to the Lord and they were His registered agent.  They would accept a small amount, but if I wanted a big, mind blowing miracle, I needed to send a big, mind blowing sacrificial gift.  Clearly, the only obstacle between me and fame and fortune was the fact that I hadn't given this ministry any money.  Oops, I mean I hadn't give the good Lord any money.

The way the materials are written, the "urgency" isn't that the ministry wants your money.  Of course not.  These matters are urgent because YOU need to pay up to receive YOUR miracle and blessings.  Looking at sickness, divorce, financial problems?  Make a sacrificial donation and let the miracles and blessings begin!  Vulnerable people fall for this tactic and they know it.  They would take a senior citizen's entire SS check and not think twice about it.  

After a while, the number of letters began to decrease, but they never did stop completely.  Every now and then, one still lands in our mailbox.  I'm guessing all of their money comes from low income people in desperate need and senior citizens.  What kind of person can do this and still sleep at night?

It's pretty slick because it's not illegal to give away "divine intervention oil. (even the shipping is free) That way it can't be called a scam.

• Like 2

There is an active school shooting situation about 15 miles up the road. We are getting continual coverage on the telly. So far no reports of injuries. They are diverting school buses to a local food store. Hopefully the shooter was thrawted before anyone got hurt. Sketchy news at this point because it’s happening as I write this. I pray this will be non-news. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sketchy news at this point because it’s happening as I write this. I pray this will be non-news. 

Fortunately, it was a non-event - I guess people are jumpy these days, with good cause:

Reports of active shooter at NC school turn out to be malfunctioning water heater

HAMPSTEAD, N.C. — Authorities in North Carolina said a reported active shooter at a high school was actually a malfunctioning water heater.  Pender County Emergency Director Tom Collins told WECT-TV on Friday that a malfunctioning water heater at Topsail High School was believed to cause a gunfire noise that led to reports of an active shooter.  Capt. James Rowell with the Pender County Sheriff's Office said there were no immediate reports of injuries Friday.

Pender County Schools said it was "taking all precautions" and its campuses on the eastern side of the county were on lockdown. It told staff at Topsail Elementary, Topsail Middle and Topsail High to report to Lowe's Foods in a tweet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I'm twitching because of the dangling modifier in that last sentence.

I know - I don't think the staff of those three schools will fit in one tweet.  It will be like the 7 Train!

• Like 6

Even when the annual slew of wildfires aren't near my parents' house (I'm far enough down from the hills that I'm never - <knocking on wood> - under evacuation), they make me anxious.  I want people to get out safely, of course, and my heart goes out to those who lose their homes - yes, it's just "stuff" and it's insured, but that's your home, no insurance can cover sentimental value, and it's still a financial and logistical mess while the process works itself out.  And then there are the animals.  Pets left behind.  Livestock unable to be evacuated (people usually have more horses and such than they have trailers, and there's always an admirable effort to provide trailers, barn/pasture space, etc. but things happen fast, canyon roads clog easily, and animals run out of time).  The wild animals who lose their lives and habitats and we never even hear about it. 

I always get in my head about it and can't get out for a while.

I have to concentrate on stories like the one of a woman who didn't have a trailer for her 20-year-old pony, couldn't find any nearby evacuees who had room, so she just put her pony on a lead and had her trot alongside the car as they made their way towards safety.  A little over a mile later, a couple evacuating four dogs, three horses, two parrots, and a pig stopped and squished the pony into their trailer and headed on to an evacuation center.

I also love seeing all the fire departments in unaffected areas of the state (and even nearby states, often) send crews and equipment to help.  I was watching the news as a fire truck from Palm Springs pulled up and protected a home that was in danger from one of the many spot fires created by winds carrying embers not just from one house to another, but from one block to another.  Fire-fighting crews are stretched so thin, and northern CA needs just as much help; resource management is a major issue, and I appreciate these folks so much. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 13

IIRC, she's in the San Diego area, which is not currently on fire (of course, this time of year in CA and with Santa Ana winds, wait a minute and that could change).  And Maharincess is in the Bay Area; the northern CA fire is near Chico (a few hours north and inland). 

• Like 5

My mom's friend's daughter and her family had to evacuate around 4:00 a.m. Friday (to my mom's friend's house), and today they were able to confirm their house was untouched (but they can't stay there yet, because the smoke is so strong [I can only imagine, because I can't take a deep breath outside at my house]).  There's no internet access at the house because of various lines and towers being knocked out (they do have power) and the kids - I believe there are three, and the ages are probably from 8-15 - are so discombobulated by this that tomorrow the daughter and her husband are taking them to Disneyland so they "have something to do."  My mom's friend, of course, pointed out the myriad things there are to do in the house (she's always disgusted by how they don't play with anything that isn't on a touch pad), but is also glad to get them all out of her hair -- that's a lot of extra people in the house.

It would be one thing if it was about them being cooped up indoors because of the smoke, or if there were no toys/books/movies at Grandma and Grandpa's, but those kids would be perfectly happy indoors for days so long as they could be glued to their devices.  But instead of playing board games or something, the kids have gotten so twitchy with iWhatever withdrawal they have to be taken to an amusement park for distraction.  Where they will probably walk around staring at their phones.

The daughter is several years older than I am, and also an only child; she got a bedroom and a separate playroom (my mean ol' parents used our third bedroom as an office/guest room <g>) -- I loved playing at that house when we were kids, and would sometimes play in there even when she wasn't home while my mom and her friend visited.  But now the playroom collects dust, I guess.  

• Like 4

Proof no. 10000 that I am old -I'm watching CBS Sunday Morning right now. Proof no. 10001, Roger Daltry of The Who now looks like Tony Bennett. 

• Like 5

I’m horrified by the news in California about the wildfires. Do y’all have a fire extinguisher in your house? It won’t stop a massive attack like they are having,  but it can save your home. They make great Christmas presents folks. 

Fire Prevention. 

• Like 1