Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

Several years ago, I dated a very talented but unambitious guitarist (finger-picking style, mostly, and self-taught and -composed). I got him a few gigs in wineries.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, theredhead77 said:

Alright, I guess I'll fork over the $160 or so to get it renewed after I get back from my next trip. I'm not paying to expedite it since it doesn't expire until April. 

Is it more expensive because of your dual citizenship?  I renewed mine recently and it was $110.  And you can take (and print) your own photo these days--the passport website gives the specifications.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is it more expensive because of your dual citizenship?  I renewed mine recently and it was $110.  And you can take (and print) your own photo these days--the passport website gives the specifications.

No, I just misread. Yay for less cost and I can go to Costco for the photos. I just find the whole process annoying. 

• Like 2

I got Botox shots in my jaw muscles on Thursday and I woke up today for the first time in months without a headache and sore jaw, yay! My ridiculously crappy insurance wouldn't cover it, of course, so I paid out of pocket. If $400 every 4-6 months solves my jaw clenching problem, I will gladly fork it over. 

• Like 10

I'm seeing a physical therapist in a couple of weeks.  Big-time repetitive stress injury to the top of my right wrist, index finger and thumb.  It started last summer.  I didn't pay any attention at first.  Then I noticed the pain but figured it would go away eventually, so I didn't change my behavior.  And then...I realized that this might be something serious that's not gonna get better on its own.  There's a giant knot in the muscle of my forearm.  I suspect that, if the therapist can work out the knot, the tightness affecting my finger and thumb (and causing major pain) will dissipate.  How great it would be, to be able to chop onions and carrots, to lift a water pitcher with my right hand, etc., etc.  Funny the things you don't even think about until they happen.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

I'm seeing a physical therapist in a couple of weeks.  Big-time repetitive stress injury to the top of my right wrist, index finger and thumb.  It started last summer.  I didn't pay any attention at first.  Then I noticed the pain but figured it would go away eventually, so I didn't change my behavior.  And then...I realized that this might be something serious that's not gonna get better on its own.  There's a giant knot in the muscle of my forearm.  I suspect that, if the therapist can work out the knot, the tightness affecting my finger and thumb (and causing major pain) will dissipate.  How great it would be, to be able to chop onions and carrots, to lift a water pitcher with my right hand, etc., etc.  Funny the things you don't even think about until they happen.

Please don't take this lightly, and do everything possible to prevent further injury.  My first RSI was in 1989 (right thumb & wrist).  Graduated into the forearm.  Then both elbows went South.  Then the shoulder & neck.  Almost 20 years of chronic pain & debilitation led to a forced early "retirement" and a lifelong unpaid disability.  No joke - this shit is serious.  I'd advise you to get out of whatever job/activity is causing this strain while you are still relatively young & only slightly damaged.  I am your cautionary tale, and your worst case scenario.  

My avatar is supposed to represent a fierce creature with weak & ineffectual arms - for good reason.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

I did something to my shoulder / neck area and had the same reaction you did, the pain would go away eventually. Wrong! I ended up with a huge knot in my neck / shoulder area. Finally went to the doctor who sent me to physical therapy. It took several weeks of PT to get the muscle loose enough for the therapist to work it out, several sessions for the knot to be worked out and several sessions + weeks of homework to get full mobility back. Listen to your therapist and do any homework they assign. It's for your benefit.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 8:25 AM, CatsAndMoreCats said:

There are dogs now being trained to detect illnesses in humans, including ovarian cancer.  I have no idea how it works but I think it's awesome.

My oldest brother and his wife were at Mom's for Christmas too - they aren't pet people.  So my brother got the dog sniffing your butt treatment from Kook which was extremely annoying for him.  On the upside, I got to hear him say "Get out of my butt!" which is often said in my house and always makes me laugh.  I also told him Kook was just doing a cancer check so he should thank him.  And then  I laughed myself silly.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

My oldest brother and his wife were at Mom's for Christmas too - they aren't pet people.  So my brother got the dog sniffing your butt treatment from Kook which was extremely annoying for him.  On the upside, I got to hear him say "Get out of my butt!" which is often said in my house and always makes me laugh.  I also told him Kook was just doing a cancer check so he should thank him.  And then  I laughed myself silly.

Colonoscopy - Kook style!  I'd be down for some of that.  ;-)

• Like 5

I got to hear him say "Get out of my butt!" which is often said in my house and always makes me laugh.

I'm constantly telling my cats to 'get your butt out of my face!'.  Cats are very fond of mooning. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I'm constantly telling my cats to 'get your butt out of my face!'.  Cats are very fond of mooning. 

My cat is extraordinarily proud of his butt so I get butt face all the time.  It reminds me of an old SNL bit where Dana Carvey is playing George Michael and insists on Dennis Miller look at his butt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

And their people are endlessly entertained by said butts, including decorating them:  https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+butt+painting&rlz=1CASMAE_enUS735US735&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=zpcwmRFn74gB4M%3A%2CvMyHAlXnz6agjM%2C_&usg=__-iYDfbcUS8Hm73O5nurB_8TeXu4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLj6Ky-MbYAhWIyVMKHaAwAh8Q9QEILzAC#imgrc=zpcwmRFn74gB4M:

• Like 3

Was desiring to get a singing ecard from American Greetings for my nephew Montana (he'll be 32 this March), but none of the singing ecards have his name available (neither the William Shatner, nor the Smokey Robinson or Michael Bolton ones-- none of them)!

That irked me, because I got that Shatner one for my niece Anna, quite easily enough (she'll be 27 this Jan. 17). Why would her name be a choice, but not Montana's?!

Edited by bmasters9 · Reason: Parentheses
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fairfax said:

Maybe because lots of people are named "Anna", but nobody (except your nephew, apparently) is named "Montana"?

That's a very definite possibility! I'm thinking about possibly solving the problem by getting a normal paper greeting card and putting a gift card in it.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fairfax said:

Maybe because lots of people are named "Anna", but nobody (except your nephew, apparently) is named "Montana"?

There was a girl named Montana on The Real World forever ago.  For a boy, shouldn't it be "Montano"?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There was a girl named Montana on The Real World forever ago.  For a boy, shouldn't it be "Montano"?

It probably should be-- nonetheless, that's what he was named by my sister Marilyn when she had him in 1986. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

It probably should be-- nonetheless, that's what he was named by my sister Marilyn when she had him in 1986. 

Well, at least it's a sure thing he wasn't named after the Montana who was on the Real World. 

And I was kidding about the Montano, but now that I think about it, boys' names don't usually end in A, at least in the U.S.  The only one I can think of is Bubba.

• Like 1

That is AWESOME. Another reason to love Amazon is how I was "guaranteed" I'd receive something in two days, by last Monday, but it wasn't even shipped until the day before I was supposed to receive it...they gave me a credit balance for the amount.

Bringing this over from Pet Peeves, as what I'm about to say is the opposite of a peeve. 

I've mentioned my occasional box of clothes from Stitch Fix here several times. I got a great set of stuff in November, kept it all, and then skipped my December order entirely, as I had other stuff I wanted to buy last month. The January one came in a couple days ago. The highlight was a corduroy blazer, which I first thought "meh", but then I tried it on and suddenly looked a grown up going out to dinner on a Friday evening. Who knew I could look like a grown up?  I ended up returning it because the fit was a little off, but I told her to send me another blazer next month to see if we can get the fit right. 

The reason I quoted the Amazon comment above was because one of the sweaters I kept from my November items got a big separation between the sleeve and shoulder after the third time I wore it. I wrote to them, and within a day they responded that since there was no replacement available, they would either contribute to the repair if that's what I wanted, or I could return it for a full refund. I chose refund. When she noticed that I had already sent back my January items, they gave me a full refund to my card and that I could donate or recycle the sweater as I see fit.

Good customer service.

• Like 5

Another example of good customer service: a friend's daughter ordered two leather collars for their family dogs from chewy.com for Christmas. When she received them, she realized she had ordered both of them in the wrong size. She called and told them she would return them but could they please immediately ship two in the correct size in time to put in the dogs' stockings. The rep said of course, but please donate the two original ones to your local shelter and they didn't charge her for the two replacements! 

• Like 11

Chewy.com is pretty awesome that way.  I heard of one woman who placed an order, and shortly afterward her dog died.  She called Chewy to ask see about returning the items.  They gave the same response -- donate it to an animal shelter.  And then...a few days later this customer received flowers from Chewy.com with a note offering condolences on the loss of her pet.  Pretty sweet.

• Like 4

I placed my first Chewy.com order today, thanks to all your glowing recommendations. Kitties will be getting some new toys, a new litter box, food and  kitty litter. Now I have to hope FedEx brings it upstairs instead of dumping it in a locker in our package room.

• Like 4

theredhead77, that is PRECISELY why I no longer order anything from Chewy.com.  Our neighborhood FedEx driver can't be bothered to haul his ass up to the third floor, where I live.  Order upon order has been lost.  Of course, they offer to replace the order.  But it STILL arrives via FedEx.  Which means there's STILL no guarantee I'll get what I ordered.  It's so frustrating when such a great company has chosen such a crappy vendor for delivery.

• Like 2

Denali got a big box from Chewy.com today - yes, it was addressed to her - with a new bag of food, and a box of cookies.  She actually carried the box of cookies from the kitchen into the living room so we could give her a couple.

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I placed my first Chewy.com order today, thanks to all your glowing recommendations. Kitties will be getting some new toys, a new litter box, food and  kitty litter. Now I have to hope FedEx brings it upstairs instead of dumping it in a locker in our package room.

It's good to be a cat in your home.

It's good to be a cat in my home too. She pretty much goes wherever she wants, does whatever she wants. She has a new water fountain drinking bowl. On the other hand it's usually good to be the hamster in my home but not so much yesterday. Even though she's in a cat proof cage, that didn't stop the cat from tipping the whole thing onto the floor yesterday. Oops. I'll be stopping for some Velcro to keep cage connected to counter on my way home from work tonight.  (The hamster is fine, although if she could talk, I think she would have said WTF was that!?)

The hamster is kind of funny in that she has no idea that when Luna is sitting on the top of her cage looking down, that black death from above is less than a foot away. She just hamsters away, eating, sleeping, running on the wheel without a care in the world.

• Like 6

We keep our first floor kind of cool. Not intentionally, but we have boiler heat and we keep the thermostat at 63 degrees. Our orange tabby cat has a favorite blanket. I've taken to covering him up with the extra part of the blanket whenever he's sleeping on it. He seems to like that. LOL

• Like 6

It's super cold today. The cold makes me tired. So, I'm here listening to late 90s/ early 2000s songs. Does anyone remember the boy band Five? I used to have the biggest crush on Scott. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, JTMacc99 said:

The hamster is kind of funny in that she has no idea that when Luna is sitting on the top of her cage looking down, that black death from above is less than a foot away. She just hamsters away, eating, sleeping, running on the wheel without a care in the world.

I think it's less that she doesn't know the cat is there, but that she knows the cat can't get at her.  Sometimes people feel bad for the little animal in its cage, but she doesn't think of the cage as a prison - she thinks of it as her home, which is a Fortress Strong.  The fact that the cat could literally tip over her castle and STILL not get at her being a good argument for the hamster's worldview.

• Like 9

All this talk of ordering online motivated me to use a 10% off code to get some new socks for myself.   We're not allowed to dress too casually at work (no jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, etc.) so I allow myself to wear the loudest craziest socks I can on most work days.  They aren't too noticeable when I'm walking around or unless I'm sitting somewhere else other than behind my desk, but I know they're there and they always make my day a little more pleasant.  

I did get the cats a little something as well.  Hopefully, soon I'll be receiving six pairs of holidays socks for myself (various St. Patrick's Day, Easter and one pair in stars/stripes design) and a new catnip-filled plush banana for my cats (they love those and have slobbered the two they have almost to rags.  If this one turns out to be as potent, I'll get a couple more for them).  

• Like 9

On 1/11/2018 at 8:57 PM, theredhead77 said:

FedEx left it in the package room. Can't blame them though, one box had both the litter and cat food and must have weighed nearly 40lbs. The second box had the litter box and toys.

• Like 5

This is quite possibly the best thing I've seen in a while.

Newfoundland 'Mermen' putting together a calendar to end all calendars

Video at the link. They are the beard and mustache club, y'all. The beard and mustache club! What's better than that? I'll tell you! The calendar proceeds go to therapy mini-horses!

Final count:  $300,000.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/01/15/newfoundland-merby-calendar-raises-300k-for-mental-health_a_23333596/

• Like 2

I should have posted here once I was lucid, since I count all of you here among friends for your support and virtual good vibes you send me. But it wasn't as if I knew this would happen! Let me must say that I am okay now. But that wasn't the case on Friday at 2:06 p.m.  As you know I was recovering nicely from the minor surgery I'd had on December 28th; and had just gotten off the phone with my OBGYN because I was still spotting, more than just spotting, and she said not to worry. And THEN...

I started hemorrhaging. Went straight to GW hospital and they couldn’t determine where the source was and I had to have another FUCKING OPERATION.???

I’ve never been so scared in my life-lost about a liter when in ER; no way to determine how much I lost before I got there. But they stitched me up (just one) and bleeding stopped. Right now, no need for transfusion, even though I’m at 6.6. 

Thank God to the women I work with at my temp job, who were quick to help me to the bathroom, call my doctor's office, and get my doctor on the phone to see what I should do--ER or go to her office. Of course the latter wasn't an option because I couldn't get the bleeding to stop or staunch it. WARNING: TMI information coming, so males who post here, beware. I'd bled through the pad, my underwear and jeans. Since GW University hospital was only a mile away, one of the women called a cab for me. I stuffed myself with about two inches worth of paper towels, since we didn't have any extra cloth towels in the office; and I hobbled my way down to the lobby. They got my bag, phone and tablet and held me and led me to the cab; though it was only a five minute drive, it felt like FOREVER, because I could feel the blood gushing its way. I had wrapped my waist with my raincoat so I wouldn't mess up the cab.

I wasn't able to get out myself, so the hospital sent someone out with a wheelchair and took me to the ER. I think, I only had to give my ID, and they put me next to the door.  I was feeling very light headed, nauseous, and so I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. Guys... I think I fainted for the first time in my life, because the other voices and noises disappeared, and the next thing I know, I'm being rolled into the cubicle, and there is a team of people, doctors, nurses, asking me questions, sticking me with needles for the ivs, and I don't know how I was able to give my medical history during all this. It felt so very surreal and like a fucking television show. I told them to ditch the jeans, and it honestly, because they couldn't determine the source of the bleeding because and I will spoiler tag this

my vagina was filling up with blood

so had to "pack it." The pushing of that took my mind off of them having to look for another vein. Ultrasound of stomach to make sure I wasn't bleeding in there, and I wasn't, so that was good. Then the OBGYN surgeon came in, and told me they needed to operate. And it was real quick after that. I signed what I needed to sign. I just wanted them to stop the fucking bleeding/blood that I could literally (yes, literally) pouring out of me. Took off my jewelry, kept telling them I wore specialized contact lenses and needed the doohickies to remove them. 

I don't think they gave me the anesthesia until we got to the OR, because I was awake as they shifted me to the operating bed or whatever. And the next thing I know, I'm awake in ICU.

Turned out to be burst blood vessels that they stitched up. Blood level is currently at 6.6., which I'm not comfortable with, but the doctors say it's okay, and the fact that I was able to get to and back to my bed and the loo without passing out, was a good sign.  I just need to eat lotsa spinach, beets, and take iron pills every other day to get the levels back up. It's a good excuse for me to eat as much red meat as possible, too!

I don't know why my body hates me.

I won't bore you with the stuff about getting home and other shit right now.  The one thing that kept me worried was if I still had a job--I do, as who could have predicted this happening? My recruiter and supervisor told me to just get better and not push myself too hard. Yeah, I should have stayed home the day after New year's, after the previous surgery. So I'm home until Thursday. When I'm more lucid, I'm sure I'll be able to bitch about how my cousin and aunt "helped" me. Suffice it to say, I'm in my own place.

And on a purely shallow note, why do I get the good looking doctors and surgeons when I'm going through this shit?  I was beyond being embarrassed, but now that it's all behind me, I just want to hide my head. I don't know why, since I'll never see any of them again.

• Like 11

GHScorpiosRule, holy shit!! What an ordeal, I'm so glad you're okay. Please rest up and heal (again)--was it going back to work too soon that caused all of this? Yikes.

• Like 7

Good grief @GHScorpiosRule!!  Please take care of yourself and try not to stress too much about getting back to the office.  You need to completely heal before you try to do anything.   

All the best to you!

• Like 5

@GHScorpiosRule Oh my heart is with you. What a horrible experience!! I almost don't even have the words. I'm truly sorry to hear about how difficult this has been for you. One thing...if you do take iron supplements please spend the extra money and get the brand Ferro Sequels. They are a higher quality and absorb faster. I once was hemorrhaging and these helped save my life. Gosh. I hope that you can rest and get all this under control.  I hate to think of how awful this must have been for you. The good news is that it's behind you now so focus on your recovery and feel better soon. My very best to you and virtual hugs. 

• Like 4

@GHScorpiosRule, holy crap!  Add me to those shaken by hearing what you went through, and thankful you are okay now.  I hope you will continue to recover with no further incidents.  And goddamn this society that you had to worry about losing your job for taking time to deal with your body gushing blood.  I'm glad they're being reasonable, and if you're ready to go back Thursday, great, but if not I hope you can take the whole week and weekend to recuperate.  If I lived nearby, I would bring you food and watch DVDs of '80s television with you.

• Like 8

What a harrowing experience, @GHScorpiosRule!  I do hope you take enough time for rest and recuperation - Thursday seems awfully soon to be going back to work after an ordeal like yours.  It is my sincere hope that your life from here on is "uneventful".  ;-)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

What a harrowing experience

"Harrowing" is exactly the right word. So sorry you went through that, @GHScorpiosRule -- sounds like you were living in an epsiode of ER  -- take care and get some rest (and eat some steak!)

• Like 4

@GHScorpiosRule , PLEASE - take time off and rest rest rest.  

What you've gone through is physically and mentally stressful, give yourself time to recover before going back to work.  

Be well, my friend.  

• Like 4