Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

I am a lifelong churchgoer and a Christian. I do not know the answers to these questions. I have studied them and studied other people's examinations of them. The best I can come up with is that I don't know.

If you want to read more, I recommend C.S. Lewis, specifically "The Problem of Pain" and "A Grief Observed." I also recommend Philip Yancey's "Where Is God When It Hurts?" which I found easier to read. (Outside of the Narnia books, C.S. Lewis was pretty scholarly, so I find his books harder to read.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

The Bible was written by Men.

The End.

But if you’re raised a certain way it gets very messy. You are to believe in God-full stop. 

The older and more I’ve seen I’m with you but I cannot even describe the heresy it feels to say that. It’s complicated.  

I think a huge part is the optimism boat “God will....”. But we’ve all prayed to no avail  

The older I get I think we are in crazy times. Can’t even imagine what the internet has done

7 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I am a lifelong churchgoer and a Christian. I do not know the answers to these questions. I have studied them and studied other people's examinations of them. The best I can come up with is that I don't know.

If you want to read more, I recommend C.S. Lewis, specifically "The Problem of Pain" and "A Grief Observed." I also recommend Philip Yancey's "Where Is God When It Hurts?" which I found easier to read. (Outside of the Narnia books, C.S. Lewis was pretty scholarly, so I find his books harder to read.)

All have been ordered. I’ll start with Yancey. Thank you!

• Like 1

I was raised "that way", and then some. The Bible holds no answers for me.

I overcame my upbringing, and eventually joined the Jessie Pinkman Church of "SCIENCE, BITCH!!!".

If there is an afterlife, or a "god", I'd prefer being reunited with all my dearly departed critters.

Which is, quite admittedly, anti-science.

Heh.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

Thanks. And I appreciate your kindness and insight as well as that link. 

I just felt your pain in your post and was compelled to reach out. 

59 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

All have been ordered. I’ll start with Yancey. Thank you!

If you are a reader you can look up some books on theodicy, which is one of the things you, I and so many others (now and in the past) are struggling with in life.  

I think if you do what you feel in your heart about searching for spiritual answers, hormonal (or other physical things) answers and find a way to get some mental answers (either through a doctor with medicines or through talking to someone, a therapist, a friend, books, whatever you can to ease your sadness) you will start feeling a whole lot better. 

Edited by LucindaWalsh · Reason: too wordy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I was raised "that way", and then some. The Bible holds no answers for me.

I overcame my upbringing, and eventually joined the Jessie Pinkman Church of "SCIENCE, BITCH!!!".

If there is an afterlife, or a "god", I'd prefer being reunited with all my dearly departed critters.

Which is, quite admittedly, anti-science.

Heh.

I agree so much. If I could see my sweet Scout and hope she’s running everywhere with good friends waiting on me.   I hear you and I’m with you. Lots of other critters but damn I miss her. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

I agree so much. If I could see my sweet Scout and hope she’s running everywhere with good friends waiting on me.   I hear you and I’m with you. Lots of other critters but damn I miss her. 

I told my dearly departed Mum to wait for me on that motherfucking "Rainbow Bridge" they give you a poem about whenever they cremate your pet.

I want to believe all my beloved ones are "there", waiting for me ...

Nice fantasy, eh.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I told my dearly departed Mum to wait for me on that motherfucking "Rainbow Bridge" they give you a poem about whenever they cremate your pet.

Nice fantasy, eh.

They do give that cheesy poem yes. 

I think they’re all waiting.  But I think they’re having a hell of a good time too while here.   Meaning some dogs have eaten tampons finding it wonderful at the time, some cats may be nowhere to be seen til you find them behind a piano. A dog who jist destroys all your chances at Victoria Secret panties. &$$

• Like 4

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Nice fantasy, eh.

They are. No fantasy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

They do give that cheesy poem yes. 

I think they’re all waiting.  But I think they’re having a hell of a good time too while here.   Meaning some dogs have eaten tampons finding it wonderful at the time, some cats may be nowhere to be seen til you find them behind a piano. A dog who jist destroys all your chances at Victoria Secret panties. &$$

Aaand- they don't accrue vet bills!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I did just pick up some [legal] CBD oil

Be cautious about where and when you use that stuff.  There have been a few cases here in NC recently (where CBD is also legal) about people who were arrested with it, charged with marijuana possession because they look and smell so much alike.  In at least one case, the person arrested was told he would have to pay to have it tested to prove it was CBD and not MJ - so much for innocent until proven guilty...I would expect that police/proscecuters would have to prove it is MJ and therefore illegal.

• Like 4

So I'm seeing this thread going around on social media about people not washing their legs when they shower. They are saying that the soap running down their legs is enough to get them clean and/or because they wear pants all day, there is no need to scrub them daily. Not sure if this is a generational thing or what, because I thought it was a given that everybody washes their whole body when they shower. WTF. Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 3

That's...weird. And stupid. By that logic, there's no need to scrub any other part of your body on a regular basis, eitehr, because hey, you're just going to be wearing clothes over those body parts, too, so why bother? 

Yeah. I'm truly mystified by that. 

• Like 1

Is this about people who shower every day? Because I shower daily and hit the "hot spots" (face, neck, pits, privates) and that's about it unless I'm sweaty/dirty/sunscreened. I'm 60, and my leg hair grows slow so legs get washed once a week when I shave. Maybe it is generational, my mom showers once a week. We're both clean and smell fine. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Be cautious about where and when you use that stuff.  There have been a few cases here in NC recently (where CBD is also legal) about people who were arrested with it, charged with marijuana possession because they look and smell so much alike.  In at least one case, the person arrested was told he would have to pay to have it tested to prove it was CBD and not MJ - so much for innocent until proven guilty...I would expect that police/proscecuters would have to prove it is MJ and therefore illegal.

Interesting. The oil I bought is in a clearly labeled container that it doesn't contain THC and it's goes under your tongue, not vaped. It smells like orange. I won't take it with me when I travel because it would be just my luck that the ATL TSA stops me for a product that is legal in GA while traveling to CA where actual weed is legal.

I read about a grandmother who was arrested after her prescribed CBD products were spotted by Disney World security. She was arrested by the Orlando PD.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 3

I just got back from picking up a book donation for my library.  We don't usually go pick up donations (the donor has to get the materials to us), but this was a special situation.  I worked really hard, though.  Picking out the books, loading them into my little wheelie luggage cart thingy, wheeling each load through the house, around the outside to the driveway and loading them into a rental car.  And, when I got home (after about a 4 hour round trip), I had to offload all of the books from the rental car into my car (I didn't want to trust my older car to make the long trip), return the rental (after gassing it back up) and get home. I did stop at McAlister's Deli on the way back home and get one of their delicious big cups of fresh-brewed sweet iced tea with fresh lemon (and a sugar cookie, I'll 'fess all)! I'm sweaty and tired, but there are some really nice books in the bunch and the lady who donated the books was very nice (and her house was gorgeous). It was a tiring but good day. 

• Like 7

On 5/16/2019 at 2:10 AM, AgentRXS said:

So I'm seeing this thread going around on social media about people not washing their legs when they shower. They are saying that the soap running down their legs is enough to get them clean and/or because they wear pants all day, there is no need to scrub them daily. Not sure if this is a generational thing or what, because I thought it was a given that everybody washes their whole body when they shower. WTF. Thoughts?

I might grudgingly go along with the legs, but DUDE you have to wash your feet, all year round.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2019 at 2:10 AM, AgentRXS said:

My first thought was: “Who the heck is discussing their shower habits on social media?”

• Like 14

So, I'm still really ticked off about this 4 hours later.  

I was walking to the Farmer's Market (destination not important) and I had to cross the street.  So, I'm walking down the main route and there's a side street that comes on to it.  So, the side street has to stop, main street doesn't.  There's a car sitting at the intersection waiting to go when I get to the crosswalk and I start to cross.  I'm a pedestrian. It's my right of way last I checked.   When I'm in front of the passenger side part of the car, the car starts to move.  So, I run the rest of the way across the car.  I figured he just didn't see me. Not that that's really an excuse.  But, he rolls down his window and yells "Really?"  So, now I'm annoyed.  It was MY right of way, plus he didn't start moving until I was in front of him.  You're not allowed to run people over.  That's like the first thing they teach you in driver's ed.  So, I yell back "Really?  Really?  It's a crosswalk."  Then continued on my way seething.

OK, rant over.  I needed to get that off my chest.

• Like 8