Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

My neighbor told me yesterday that she intends to enclose part of her back yard with wire fencing and adapt a little building within and get some baby chicks.

This is a very small development, their house just is about a full car length away from mine and the backyard is small. We are not in the country.

How would you feel about this?

I don't want to get her angry with me, but I fear noise, smell, dirty conditions. 

Hmm...I wouldn't be in love with the idea. The noise! Are there outside pets nearby? I'd think dogs would bark more and cats would attack or be attacked.

I've always wanted a goat.

They are pretty noisy. I live on a few acres in the hills, the people on the next property have chickens and I can hear them.

And yes they do make the dogs bark more.

Make sure she gets female and not male chickens. Roosters do not crow only at dawn. More like all night long.

If you are in the city limits check to see if city ordinances allow chickens. Some do, and some don't.

• Like 1

Make sure she gets female and not male chickens. Roosters do not crow only at dawn. More like all night long.

If you are in the city limits check to see if city ordinances allow chickens. Some do, and some don't.

I agree -- your neighbor may have checked out local zoning ordinances, but it can't hurt for you to do it if you feel strongly about this.  A lot of towns and cities have had to address this issue in the past few years.  I'd also act on this sooner than later so that the neighbor doesn't have to try to re-home the poor chicks, who are just trying to do their thing. 

That being said, fresh eggs are beyond delicious; so if the neighbor's setup is legal, if the neighbor is smart about keeping the peace, s/he will spread the wealth once in a while.  

I know a rooster who crows all day long - don't know about the night.  He's the cutest thing, and I love him; but if you don't get used to the crowing, it could probably be pretty torturous.

I had a pet chicken named Henrietta when I was 4. I don't remember it of course but my family says this chicken followed me everywhere. If I went into the house, she would sit at the door and wait for me. They said she wouldn't go near anybody else and wouldn't let anybody get close to me. If they tried she would chase them away from me.

I have pictures of her sitting next to me when I was out in our yard.

Yes the fresh eggs are better than anything you can buy in a store. I'm friendly with the neighbor with the chickens. I feed her cats when she's out of town and I get fresh eggs.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Like 1

They already have 2 little yappy dogs that bark the whole time they are out of the house, which drives me crazy. I can imagine how they will be if they see the chicks running around.

I did look up the local regulations and there was recently a vote on restrictions to places under 2 acres but it did not pass, so, I think they can legally get the chicks, but it says they have to get a permit for $150 and get written oks from any adjacent neighbors.  I doubt she has looked into that yet and I sure am not going to give her a thumbs up.

I intend to call the county today and see what they say.

My neighbor with chickens is about 10 houses down the block, and I consider him worth his weight in gold -- fresh eggs from chickens who are fed and housed properly and given plenty of room to roam, and I can just wander down the street in my jammies to get some?  Hell, yeah!  I've never heard the neighbors closer to him complain, but I have no idea how much more they hear than I do, which isn't much.  (I don't think smell is an issue even for those right next door, as he keeps everything clean.)

In your shoes I'd definitely be wary, because so much depends on whether the person knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

I checked with the county code enforcement agency and was told that they could NOT get chickens if there was less than 2 acres.

(I also wrote them and the response said they could appeal but I did not mention this to her).

I went over and told them and she said she had read that they passed something in November making it acceptable if the 2 adjacent neighbors were ok with it.  I told her that might still be a problem then because I had been thinking about the noise, dirt, smell.

Not sure if she got my drift, but if she pursues it further, I am voting no thanks.

One of the roommates next door to us built a chicken coop and enclosure in their backyard last year and got four chickens (two regular, two of the weird looking fluffy ones.) I can only hear them when I'm in the bathroom, and they're just making those buck-buck-buck noises - not too loud. Roosters are illegal here, so no crowing.

Mr. Shrdlu was talking to him the other day and it sounds like raising the chickens is less fun than previously indicated and he's kind of sorry he took it on. They do not give us eggs, but with 4 or 5 people in their house (I lose track of their comings and goings) they probably all get et.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 2

Similarly to Etaoin Shrdlu, my next-door neighbors have had chickens (no roosters) for about 5 years, and I can't hear them at all when I'm inside the house unless I have a window open.

• Like 1

We have chickens, and they don't make a lot of noise.  A rooster makes a lot more noise, but the chickens just cluck around a little.  They aren't dirty or smelly, and fresh eggs are awesome.  They are also hilarious to watch and have a lot of personality. 

If the neighbor is getting chicks, it will be a while before they start laying eggs.  Usually about six months.

• Like 2

I thought I'd start a general discussion topic if that's ok with everybody.

I thought we could talk about whatever. The weather, something good or bad that happened during our day, questions about different things that we may have.

Just kind of a "catch all" kind of thread.

I'll start.

I'm so pissed off right now. My husband is a truck driver. He did a side job, for free for a friend of a friend, free of charge. My husband heard this guy needed some help so he hauled some stuff for him. That's the kind of guy he is.

This guy gave him 2 tickets to a SF Giants game. Fantastic seats, right down in the front. He was happy. He's on the road for weeks at a time and never gets much time to relax so he was really looking forward to it.

He and his brother went. About 5 minutes after they got their food and sat down, security showed up. The tickets had been stolen.

He was so humiliated being led away by security. Of course they didn't believe that he was given the tickets. Hopefully the judge will. He was cited and released and now has to miss a big job to go get it taken care of.

He's such a nice guy and would do anything for anybody.

People suck sometimes.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Like 7

Wow, major bummer!  Hope everything works out.  Let us know what happens.

Great idea for a topic;  I was just thinking that this site could really use a " catch-all " or "tell us about your day" thread.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry Maharincess! I sincerely hope everything works out. How upsetting. That's just terrible. I hope there are some calls, texts, or proof of his extra travel.

• Like 1

That is such a raw deal!  And I hate when something negative happens that proves "no good deed goes unpunished".

Since the tickets were obviously reported stolen, he should be able to find out when they were stolen (or approximately).  There's got to be a police report if the situation warrants court involvement.  Hopefully, it will be at a time when he was traveling on the job and no where near the location they were stolen from.

And hopefully there was a witness present when he was given the tickets from the friend of a friend.

• Like 2

That just sucks, Maharincess.  If I were your husband, I'd rat out everyone, including the friend - the actual friend, not the friend of -- if necessary.  Friends don't let that kind of stuff happen to their friends. 

• Like 4

I'm glad you like the topic. I was thinking about the person who started a topic about the backyard chickens and thought we needed a place where people could ask those kinds of questions and talk about whatever.

My husband did rat out everybody. He was so pissed off that he named names. We won't know what became of it until he goes to court.

Its not a huge crime, it would just be a fine probably but its the idea that he helped somebody and got screwed over that makes me furious.

They will also be trying to link him to the car break in where the tickets were stolen. We're getting all of his road logs together for court. He's out of town a lot so we're hoping he was in another state when this happened.

Betweenyouamdme, I'm plugging along, thanks for asking! Just had my 6th and hopefully final surgery. If my comments ever sound like gibberish, it's the pain medicine, I swear!

This site and all of you have helped my boredom and loneliness more than you'll ever know.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Like 2

Maharincess, that just BITES. So sorry to hear about it.

I got one. It's really very silly, and I hope will make you and everyone else laugh.

Went to my Target store on Wednesday to get my meds for after I have my final reconstructive surgery.  As I'm walking down the aisle, I see this guy, early 50s maybe? wearing a white T-shirt with the name Luca Brasi, yes that Luca Brasi, along with an image of the actor who portrayed him in Godfather I taking up most of the shirt.

I guess he really likes that movie. Or Luca.

• Like 1

LOL!! She scares me! I would react to her in one of two ways. I would either get so mad that I'd cuss her out or I would burst into tears. She's vicious!

I've got the creepiest Godfather tee. I wear it when I want to feel tough. Lol. I am not tough, nor do I appear so. I guess that's obvious by the fact that the tee alone makes me nervous.

• Like 1

I'm definitely a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. I love buying t-shirts.

My favorite one that I wore until it was in pieces had a picture of Mr. Rogers and said "Can you say f*** it" but the word wasn't censored. I also have one that says Thank god I'm an atheist" but I only wear that one at home. I'm not into defending anybody.

At my house though, no outfit is complete unless it has dog and cat hair on it.

Betweenyouanme, when is your baby due?

Edited by Maharincess

Beginning of October! When I go about, people are now asking me randomly about my pregnancy, so I feel confident I'm showing. Well, that and the maternity pants.

Here is that tee

image_10.jpg

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Like 3

Congratulations!! This is your first baby right? How exciting!

If I may offer just one piece of advice, ignore me and tell me to mind my own damn business if you want.

Make sure from a very young age that you teach your child that NO means NO. So many parents say no and then give in when the kid has a tantrum. Kids learn very, very quickly that throwing a fit will get what they want.

My kids were by no means perfect and I was very far from being the perfect mom, but I could take my kids anywhere and they knew how to behave. I would tell them before we went anywhere how I expected them to behave. I'd tell them the consequences they would face when we got home if they didn't behave. If they started acting up, all it took was one look from me and they'd straighten up fast.

I'm not against spanking but I never had to do it. Their punishments were having their favorite things taken away for a week.

My kids (I have a daughter and a son) are grown now but they still talk about my "look".

My daughter has 2 kids now and they know that NO means no too.

I was a teen mom, had 2 kids before I was 20. Thankfully my kids didn't follow that path. I love being a young grandma. Before my accident I could run around and play and keep up with the kids. I'd ride bikes, roll down hills and do all kinds of things with them.

I would have to say that the most important advice I can give to any new mama is to savor and enjoy every single second. It goes by way too fast. Before you know it they grow up and leave home.

I swear I'd give ANYTHING to go back and do it all over again.

I want to apologize in advance for any long, rambling boring comments I may make here. The hubby is on the road again so it's just me and my pets. It gets really boring and kinda lonely sometimes being confined to the house alone so just ignore my rambles!

Edited by Maharincess
  • Like 5

Thank you! Yes, my first. Thankfully I've babysat a ton, so I'm pretty good at getting kids to behave while having them like me. I will have to be even more consistent since this one will be mine much longer! Any advice is appreciated by me :( I'm very excited but so want him to behave, especially because since I'm single, I'll need to take him a lot of places.

My dad's side of the family has everyone a doctor. There will be pressure for him to be into his school work and behave. I'm a fun person for a child. I like zoos and stuffed animals and Disney movies. I also really value education. I need to balance the two, which can be done. Learning can be fun, but it's also sometimes not very fun.

I'm so excited for you! Do you know the gender?

Sounds like your baby is very lucky. You sound like you know what you're doing and have good support behind you. You're going to be a great mama!

Yesterday I got laid off from the hospital I've worked at for 26 years as a medical transcriptionist.   I knew it was coming, our hospital merged with a much larger hospital and they outsource all their transcription.  The rest of our department got laid off last October, it did feel odd to have just 3 of us working in an office built for 12.  I probably won't be able to get any other medical transcription work, most of it is outsourced to India.  There are some people doing this work in America, but they get paid by the line, and the pay rate is very low, often (literally) less than minimum wage.  I think most of the people in this country who do it are women with young children who need a job they can do from home so they don't have to pay for child care.  

But two good things did happen. I was told that I would get 10 weeks of severance pay, which I was told was the maximum, but yesterday I found out that they increased the maximum, and I'll be getting 16 weeks of severance pay, quite a jump.  The other two transcriptionists will also be getting more severance.  

The other good thing that happened is minor.   I wanted to take the keyboard tray I'd been using.  It's 15 years old, but it's in good shape, very solid, and I know it cost about $200 back then.  I knew it was unlikely anyone else would be using it, and I knew it would come in handy if I had a lot of typing to do.  I asked my boss and she said it was fine with her, but I had to check with another manager.  I'm not exactly sure what he does, but his title  is Director of Patient Experience (DoPE).   I told him I wanted the keyboard tray, and first he said he had to look at it, that he wanted to make sure they used all their "assets".   He came and looked at it, and the got back to me and told me I couldn't take it because "it was a matter of liability."  I guess he was afraid that I'd install the keyboard tray on my desk improperly and it would fall on my foot, and then I'd sue the hospital.   He actually said they would just be throwing it out.  I decided not to fight it, the company had paid for it, I didn't have any actual right to it.  But then yesterday, my last day, I came in and found out DoPE had been fired the previous night.  I was told I could have the tray, and someone from maintenance even came and took it down for me.  I don't really believe in karma or anything, but I did like what happened, and I don't feel sorry for DoPE at all. 

• Like 7

ALenore, I'm very sorry about your work, though glad there are a couple silver linings. Are you going to look for another position? Would you want to work from home or try another field?

I'm going to try out helping my husband sell his artwork.  He is a freelance book cover illustrator, but he also sells painting and prints, and books of his artwork on the side.  I'm going to try to help him sell more through making up a new website, and promoting stuff on Twitter, Tumbler, etc.   I'll be packing up and mailing out items. 

• Like 1

The acronym DoPE is gold.

I'm glad your severance was bumped and hope that the new direction works out for you.

• Like 4

Yes, my Avatar is his art work.   It's a detail from a piece he did for Weird Tales magazine several years ago.   

Twenty six years with the company and your severance doesn't even add up to one week per year of service, let alone multiples of that, or an early retirement plan?  Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy they gave you more than the shitty amount they'd promised to begin with, but I loathe this "new economy" mentality.  This country is so screwed up.

In my first career, I worked in HR for a company with about 500 employees that was part of a large entertainment umbrella (but, since it was a record label, we were rather proudly anti-corporate in our policies).  I was there for the first few waves of layoffs as things started to change, and the first thing we did was offer an early retirement incentive.  How many eligible employees opted for that determined how many non-eligible employees would be laid off when that inevitable happened.  Come layoff time, our severance package was four weeks for every year of service.

(Once it was all over, I laid myself off, got the hell out of Dodge, and went to law school.)

I wish you well in your future endeavors, ALenore.  When there's a safety net, unemployment can be as exciting as it is frightening.

Outsourcing is the work of the devil.

• Like 5

Bastet, our severance used to be one week of pay for every week of service, but that changed when they got bought up by the larger hospital.   Four weeks for every year would have been incredible.  I'm not quite old enough for retirement, but I do have a pension, although it's a 401K now instead of defined benefit, so I'm not sure how much I'll get come retirement.  We do have savings. Since as a freelancer my husband's income has always been unpredictable we've been sure to put aside money in good years to cover expenses in less good years.   

I agree that outsourcing is the work of the devil.   

Maharincess, so sorry about what happened to your husband!  I hope he gets vindicated quickly.

Did you go to the local news channels?  They usually eat stuff like this for breakfast (innocent guy being slapped around by bad circumstances).  Best of all, a lot of people get to be made into the fools they are.  It'll help more once you can prove where your husband was at the time of the theft.   If you drop a dime on the SOB who gave your husband the tickets, they could film outside his house and/or shoot vid (from a legal distance) and ask him questions.  While you're  at it, try local radio talk show hosts. 

If necessary, you could start a fundraising account for the legal expenses. 

I am a little curious as to why charges were being pressed.  They were just tickets to a game, why is the owner making such a big deal? 

• Like 1

Its part of a bigger theft. The tickets were stolen when the ticket owner's car was broken into and vandalized. A bunch of cars were hit that same night.

We got his road logs from the company he works for and turned them over so he should be ok.

ALenore, I'm sorry to hear about your job. Best of luck to you.

I agree that outsourcing is the worst. I don't know how to put this without it coming out wrong but people who speak English are screwed in the work place these days. There's not a job in my area that doesn't call for Spanish speakers.

Just doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 2

It's a big selling point for teachers in TX. Without knowing Spanish or taking teaching ESL courses, it's hard to get a job in public schools here. It's a need here, but it does make it difficult for many people at the same time.

After his Derby win

American Phorah just won the Preakness (by a lot!!) and is off to the Belmont Stakes.  What are his chances of this horse winning the triple crown?   The last time a horse won the triple crown was 1978 and the triple crown has only been won 11 times.

1919  Sir Barton
1930  Gallant Fox
1935  Omaha
1937  War Admiral
1941  Whirlaway
1943  Count Fleet
1946  Assault
1948  Citation
1973  Secretariat
1977  Seattle Slew
1978  Affirmed

• Like 1

No one will ever surpass Secretariat as the greatest race horse of all time, IMO, but American Pharoah looked really strong today and has a good chance of winning the Triple Crown. I don't know if the sloppy race conditions negatively affected the other horses, but he sure ran away from them.

• Like 3

The Belmont ends up being the undoing of many potential Triple Crown champs due to the distance.  A mile and a half is quite tiring for most horses, especially after having run the Preakness two weeks earlier.   Usually they need a bit more rest, but then that's what makes winning these races a challenge.

I do hope he makes it, but I've been careful not to get my hopes up.  So many came so close only to blow it in the Belmont.

• Like 1

I found that the worst part of being self employed is getting affordable health insurance. (At least for now. Once I reach retirement age, I'm sure I'll have more gripes!) When my group was laid off, our HR department fudged our "drop off payroll date" so that we'd get the most help, subsidy-wise, possible. They didn't have to do it and it was much appreciated. I feel healthcare reform still has a long way to go, but one thing I think they got right was not being able to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

I won't comment much on the English vs Spanish issue, for fear of offending someone, but I do believe that if you are in a public service line of work, you should speak the predominate language clearly enough to be understood.

On another topic altogether -- have y'all heard about the biker gangs' shooting rampage in Waco? Nine dead and twice that many injured. I have family there and my cousin's salon, fairly close to the shootings, was locked down. Scary.

• Like 3

I don't know how old anybody else here is. I'm kind of thinking I might be the oldest.

Regardless, I turn 50 this July and I'm having a hard time with this one. I don't know if it's because with my current condition I'm finally feeling my age or what. But it sucks.

I've always been really active, I've done yoga for 12 years and was an outdoors kind of person.

I was a teen mom. Had 2 kids before I was 20. I was widowed at 22 (he was abusive so no need to feel bad for the widow). I took pride in pulling my shit together and making a career for myself without a college degree and making a life for me and my kids. I also love being a young grandma. I love chasing after the kids and playing with them.

I know I'll get back to being that active person again some day so that's not the problem.

Having so much time makes you do a lot of thinking. So I think now what? I'm almost 50 and have done nothing with my life.

It's really hard to explain how I feel because I don't understand it myself.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Edit. Damn I sound so whiny! Sorry guys. Like I said I don't know why the hell I'm dreading this birthday so much. Maybe because 50 just sounds soooooooo old. Reading the Housewives threads is hard for a woman my age. Apparently once we hit 50 we aren't supposed to have fun, dress in jeans or anything considered "young", we aren't supposed to be proud of our bodies or appearance, the list goes on and on.

Basically I'm having a tantrum because I don't wanna turn 50!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by Maharincess

Maharincess, you're not the oldest -- I've seen posts that indicate there are folks here in their mid-50s. I turned 49 the other day, and I always say "age is just a number" but changes in the last five years have made me feel a good 10 years older than I am. I guess. I mean, I know it's possible to feel younger, because you've been there, but can you really feel older? I have no idea what 59 feels like, I can only suppose, based on what I've observed in other people. I barely know what 49 feels like.

Anyway, don't feel like you've done nothing -- from what I just read, you've done lots to be proud of, and I bet you're just getting started!

It sounds to me like you've done a lot that's worthwhile. Do you tend to compare yourself to others or just not feeling personally satisfied?

I'm 30 now. I've had a pretty good education but no work experience or skills. I've messed up a lot and am not married. I have very few friends and get really scared about doing things socially. I've got a past that's as long to explain as anything you could imagine. I'm moody and neurotic. But, you know...I'm just keepin' on keepin' on. Maybe being a mother is where I'll shine.

Well, I've got you all beat in the age department.  I'm 60.  And I didn't start having fun until I was about 50.  Don't fear getting older.  (It sure beats the alternative).

• Like 4

I found myself mildly freaked out at turning 29, because I hadn't accomplished several of the "By the time I'm 30, I want to ..." goals I'd long had in mind.  But by the time I turned 30, I'd either ticked those remaining items off my list or was well on my way to doing so, and thus I really enjoyed it.  Forty didn't faze me.  We'll see about 50; I don't think it will, because the whole "half a century old!" thing is so outdated. 

I distinctly remember my mom - who had never tripped out about any age prior to this - having a "holy shit, I'm going to be 60" moment when I asked if she wanted to do anything special for that birthday (we're not big birthday people in my family; a nice dinner, a few presents, some cake, done).  With health problems in their 70s, I think we'll all just be thrilled come 80 for my parents.

I'm 30 now. I've had a pretty good education but no work experience or skills.

I'll admit this has me curious, especially since you're getting ready to raise a child alone, but however you've pulled this off -- if it's what you wanted or something you wouldn't have chosen could you change circumstances but have made work -- good on you.  As you said, maybe parenthood is where you're going to find your niche.  The world certainly needs more good parents.

Edited by Bastet

Oh, well, my family just doesn't really support me working. I tried and then had some unrelated legal issues. It really messed up my spirit. Since then, it was decided I'd be better off at home. I tried to think of another idea, but my anxiety was getting so bad that I dropped out of my new school I'd started. Then, I got pregnant. So, maybe I'll start doing something when my son starts school. I'm just sort of at a loss as to what. I mean, I could get a retail job. It does come to mind though that if I don't need the money, it's taking a position from someone who does. It's sort of embarrassing, but it's just sort of the way things are right now. I'm trying to focus on being thankful for not needing money rather than beating myself up even more about failing and all the horrible things that have happened. I can't stress how terrible things had gotten so my "job" is taking care of myself and mentally preparing for the baby.

Maharincess, there is life after 50; I know, because I'm 54.  It sounds to me like you're frustrated due to being laid up for the time being, and I hope that's the case because then the cause is temporary.  And based on your list,  you've done a lot more than I have, if that make you feel any better.  A very smart man I once knew measured his sense of accomplishments by the number of people he had helped, whether in small or large ways.  Just counting family, you've made an impact on people in this world, so yay!  I'm with forumfish - getting older certainly beats the alternative -- at least at the 50 level, it does!  

Just curious - I read the RHOBH thread, and don't pick up on much of the age stuff, but maybe I'm just oblivious.  (I mean, if I had a nifty peach-colored bow blouse like KimRichards, I'd wear it every day, but it would look fab with jeans.)

Edited by harrie
  • Like 1