Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Those We Have Lost from the Music Industry

• Start Topic

This is just too much ... 2016 sucks.  

Another awesome musician ...

What is so funny is that I just watched "The History of the Eagles" on Netflix, maybe two weeks ago, and I teared up because I was there when they broke up and it felt awful.  And then it felt so good when they got back together.  And now ... OMG ... too much.

• Love 2

Yeah, just heard. Eagles, Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt got me through the early/mid 70's. This blows my mind more than Bowie because while I appreciated Bowie's talent and career he wasn't a big musical idol of mine.

I was just thinking to myself that tomorrow mornings commute will be to the music of On The Border as it is my ab fab favorite Eagles album.

My man's got it made. Us? .... not so much.

The word "iconic" is probably going to end up becoming overused by the end of this year at the rate people are going, but it absolutely applied to Bowie and it applies to Glenn Frey. If ever there was a band associated with the iconic "California sound," it is The Eagles.  The History of the Eagles is one of the best rock documentaries I've seen -- fascinating from beginning to end.

I was just humming an Eagles song at the grocery store earlier today, as I often do, so I was completely shocked to hear the news when I got home.  

R.I.P. Glenn Frey. This will always be my jam:

This year is already completely out of hand, and we're not even out of January. I feel like Jack from LOST; if this is 2016, "We have to go back!" All these celebrity deaths are depressing the shit out of me, and on top of that, my cat disappeared. Not cool. 

• Love 1

I was 12 years old in 1977.  A few months earlier we'd moved out of state and I was a stranger in a strange land, missing my father terribly (divorce sucks), and the song "New Kid In Town" was the soothing, comforting friend I needed to get by.  It'll always hold a special place in my heart and will always remain my favorite Eagles song with Glenn Frey on lead vocals.

This one particularly hurts.  The Eagles were my favorite band ever.  I was lucky enough to catch them during the Hell Freezes Over tour in 95 at Mile High Stadium and it was one of the greatest nights of my life.  Their music was my childhood.  I cannot fathom that he's gone.  

And another thing, people need to stop dying without telling me something is up.  

Don Henley better sit his happy ass in a chair and not move.  Joe...well...Joe's gonna live forever so...he's fine.

• Love 2

We did know something was up with Glenn, because the Eagles were supposed to get Kennedy Center honors this year and they asked to postpone it because they didn't want to do it without him and he was too sick to attend. I didn't think it was this bad though. Just horrible.

ETA: I've been trying to find clips of him from Jerry Maguire, because he was so good in that, but can't find anything.

Edited by LADreamr

I am interested to see if there is going to be any kind of a tribute on the upcoming Grammy Awards, even if just a brief one.   Often times the really noteworthy people in music pass away too far in advance of the Grammy Awards (so no one is thinking about that person anymore by the time the show airs), and therefore they don't do a tribute.  Or, in the case of Whitney Houston, she passed away right before a Grammy telecast, and the tribute felt hastily thrown together and not well-prepared.

This is a rare case in which both David Bowie and Glenn Frey passed away close enough to the actual Grammy telecast (on February 15th) for people to still remember and care that they died, but also far enough in advance to give the producers and all involved enough time to put together nice, solid tributes that don't feel sloppy.

It was a given that David Bowie and Glenn Frey would have been shown in the standard In Memoriam segment of the show, but Bowie is such an icon and influential artist that his passing pretty much demands more than a picture on a giant screen.  So it appears (from the rumors that are milling about) that Lady Gaga is going to be involved in the Bowie tribute.  That is very fitting, as she has spoken openly about how much Bowie meant to her as an artist and performer, and how much she was influenced by him.  I don't know if she is just one portion of the tribute along with other performers, or if she is the only one.

But, alas, I fear that a Glenn Frey tribute song performance may not happen on the show because I think that Bowie's tribute might overshadow Frey's contributions to the music industry.  I hope not -- they each deserve to be recognized separate from that quick In Memoriam photo montage.

So... if the Grammy folks decide to include a Frey tribute, who will be the one to sing the song?  Don Henley?  Maybe all of the surviving Eagles will perform a song?  Keith Urban?  Miranda Lambert?

But, alas, I fear that a Glenn Frey tribute song performance may not happen on the show because I think that Bowie's tribute might overshadow Frey's contributions to the music industry.  I hope not -- they each deserve to be recognized separate from that quick In Memoriam photo montage.

So... if the Grammy folks decide to include a Frey tribute, who will be the one to sing the song?  Don Henley?  Maybe all of the surviving Eagles will perform a song?  Keith Urban?  Miranda Lambert?

I can't imagine them not paying tribute to him. That would be in very poor taste considering his impact on music.

• Love 1

I can't imagine them not paying tribute to him. That would be in very poor taste considering his impact on music.

I certainly hope so.  I agree with you.  I think that if Glenn Frey had passed away any time other than right on the heels of David Bowie passing away, there would be no question in my mind that all of the surviving Eagles, as well as Jackson Browne, probably Bonnie Raitt or Sheryl Crow, etc., would be up there singing songs in a tribute.    I don't know exactly what is/was planned for the Bowie tribute and how much time that is going to take, or who else besides Gaga is involved (Elton??  Sir Paul?? Jagger??).  That could make all the difference.  If it is a big spectacle involving a bunch of people who have already been lined up, then they might not do as big of a thing for Glenn Frey.  If it's just one song devoted to Bowie, then there is still plenty of room to work in a song from someone honoring Glenn Frey. 

The History of the Eagles is one of the best rock documentaries I've seen -- fascinating from beginning to end.

I would like to reiterate this ... if you haven't seen it, it's worth every moment.  Just. So. Good.

I thought I knew the Eagles until I saw this documentary.

And Joe Walsh?  What a hoot.

Glenn Frey made his acting debut in ... wait for it  ... Miami Vice, ha!

• Love 1

I am really hoping all of the surviving Eagles will put something on for Glenn at the Grammys this year. That's the dream. (Although I guess Don Felder's legal issues/fall out with the band might make that harder.)

• Love 1

Truly heartbreaking. Like David Bowie, the Eagles in general and Glenn Frey in particular have changed music forever. Frey has co-written some of the greatest songs of all time, especially "Hotel California," which is also one of the greatest albums of all time. My favorite Frey solo songs were "The Heat Is On," "The One You Love," "Smuggler's Blues" & "You Belong To the City."

Frey definitely deserves a tribute on next month's Grammys, but if Bowie's well-deserved tribute is going to be big & over-the-top, then I think Frey's should go in the opposite direction and be unplugged, with the surviving members of The Eagles, present and past, including Don Felder. Don Henley could sing one of Frey's solo hits and the whole thing could end with either "Take It Easy," "Hotel California" or "Desperado," although if it ended with the latter, it might make me a sobbing mess, but I'll take that chance. If done right, I think the Glenn Frey tribute could be just as powerful as the Bowie one, in its own way.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

then I think Frey's should go in the opposite direction and be unplugged, with the surviving members of The Eagles, present and past, including Don Felder. Don Henley could sing one of Frey's solo hits and the whole thing could end with either "Take It Easy," "Hotel California" or "Desperado," although if it ended with the latter, it might make me a sobbing mess, but I'll take that chance. If done right, I think the Glenn Frey tribute could be just as powerful as the Bowie one, in its own way.

I think I would die. My life would be complete.

• Love 2

forumfish, you are absolutely correct re Linda. Her situation saddens me so much as she is my one true favorite artist of that era. She was like the gateway for me discovering acts like Jackson, Emmylou Harris, Eagles and and any other number of others. I loved Glenn's induction speech for her for the R n' R HOF and I'm sure she could say some pretty words for him if she could.

When Linda's time comes it better not be on the heels of some otherworldly person like Barbra (whom I also love) or Mick because she'd be destined to join Farrah Fawcett as a celeb death over shadowed by an icon (Michael Jackson). Any tribute to her at the Grammy's would have every country/rock/singer songwriter ever taking the mic to sing her songs. (except maybe Carly Simon, rumor has it)

Sorry, didn't mean to bring folks down any more than they might be.

But back to Glenn, my eyes were welling up listening to the "On The Border"  CD in the car these past couple of days. I really am sad about this.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

To be honest, I was afraid that Linda's time might be coming soon based on reports of how bad her health had gotten.  I mean, I figured she had to be in really bad shape to miss her own induction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame a couple of years back.  But when Anderson Cooper interviewed her this past Monday about Glenn, aside from a couple of times when it seemed she might have been having trouble forming words, she basically sounded normal.  I never thought that Glenn would be the one to go first.

Even when The Eagles had to miss/postpone their Kennedy Center Honors appearance last month, I still didn't realize exactly how sick Glenn was.  His pneumonia was essentially a result of the medications he was taking for his colitis and arthritis, and it sounds like the pneumonia kept coming back and getting stronger, from what has been said in the press.

In any case, IF the producers of the Grammys plan to honor Glenn Frey with a song or two, clearly all of the Eagles should be there.  It's only right.  Jackson Browne should be there.  J.D. Souther should be there.  Even Bob Seger should be there, because of his early ties to Glenn.  I'm sure Linda would have been there, but likely won't be.  So if there is a need for a female singer to honor Glenn, then I can see them calling in someone like Bonnie Raitt or Sheryl Crow.  Possibly Stevie Nicks, as Stevie actually has old connections to the band.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Sherry baby, I so hope you are wrong because I am not sure how I would take it. Few celeb deaths make me cry real honest tears, namely Johnny Cash and Sinatra, so I am not prepared.  

She really sounded quite good on the phone with Anderson, compared to what I was expecting (which was only based on bits of info trickling out over the last few years).  So, although she might not be singing and she might not be making public appearances, she still sounded very sharp, alert, etc.  She was recalling a time decades ago when she and, I think, J.D. Souther went to the movies and left Glenn Frey and Don Henley (maybe others too) in her house so they could work on their songs without being disturbed.  At some point they played a bit of "Witchy Woman" for her and she knew there was something there -- some bit of magic or potential.  

I really wouldn't have even known that there was anything 'wrong' with Linda's health just by listening to her speak a couple of nights ago.  So, hopefully she is not getting worse and is staying as healthy as she can.

I almost forgot to mention -- last month, Don Henley was on the Howard Stern show.  He performed 4 songs and talked about his Eagles career and solo career.  Linda Ronstadt was mentioned, of course.  Howard asked Don if men were swarming around Linda back in the day, trying to date her, or if all of the guys in her band were trying to get anywhere with her.  Don didn't want to say too much, so he just said, "There were guys."  He then went on to say that the reason he and Linda have stayed friends all of these years is because he always kept it professional.  He never crossed that line and tried to date her.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Nice update, Sherry. Thanks.

Glenn said in his induction speech for her that he was very taken by Linda but that J.D. got there first. I do know that she did have her share of male attention and for good reason. 

There is a great book on the entire story of that L.A. sound back in the day called Hotel California by Barney Hoskyns.  It's not just about the Eagles, Linda, Jackson etc, but also the Mamas and the Papas, David Geffen, James Taylor, The Byrds and lots more.

Black Mamba, not sure that's my absolute favorite Eagles' tune but it is mos def top 5. Only Tim B could have sung that. Though I could envision Glenn doing it. New Kid has to be my top tune.

• Love 2

*sigh*

2016 started off with my baby niece being born and has followed it up by doing nothing but take, take, take.  I'm sad that this happened at all much less so close to Bowie's departure into the stars. To be fair, though, Bowie would over-shadow a significant amount of people.

The Eagles have always been important to me. Grew up with them, they're one of my go to's on my XM and I have fond memories of my Mom putting on Glenn Frey's solo album to clean the house back in the late 80s. Actually, my first response to hearing this was a loud gasp and 'Does Mom know?' She loved her some Glenn Frey.

I liked Keith Urban's version of this song from a few days ago, as it seemed sort of spontaneous and intimate, and yet Keith was perfectly in tune and sang it well.

Well, here is Bruce Springsteen's own version of "Take It Easy" (from a show he did in the last couple of days), and it is moving in its own way -- http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6844259/bruce-springsteen-salutes-glenn-frey-take-it-easy-cover?utm_source=twitter.    While it has that signature, kind of rough Springsteen vocal and he is not always in tune, the fact that it sounds like every voice in the arena is singing along with him is what gives it such impact.

The History of the Eagles is re-airing on Showtime TONIGHT, January 21st, at 7:55PM Eastern/6:55PM Central, & Saturday night, January 23rd, at 6PM Eastern/5PM Central.

Oooh!  Thank you for letting us know!  I haven't seen the documentary in about 2 years, and I had recently been thinking that I was in the mood to see it again -- even before Glenn Frey's untimely death.  I will most definitely be watching it.

Just finished watching the first part of the doc online. Wow! I am exhausted. New appreciation for the band. I can't stay up for the rest so i will finish it on Sat seeing as I'll be snowed in all day.

Good luck to all of us in snow's way. Let it be our one and only brush with snow this winter.

Can't believe I'd never heard of this side of him:

https://youtu.be/NrtXFTw2ico?list=PLJMalCLaus1AMHUkwtbAfKOJ09vwTEam4

that's Bowie's imitating Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, and more. So much fun. This article has the story behind the recording: http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/david-bowie-impressions/

I swear, he's almost a better version of these singers - and I love them and always have! 

ETA: his Iggy Pop is so unexpected that it cracks me up everytime!

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 3

The History of the Eagles is on CNN & their HD channel TONIGHT, January 23rd, at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central, & again at 10:30PM Eastern/9:30PM Central.

I watched it on Showtime again yesterday.  I wonder if the CNN version of it bleeps out all of the cursing?  It's not that there is non-stop cursing from start to finish -- there are long stretches with no cursing at all -- but there is enough of it (and some nudity) to keep the censors busy.

This documentary really gave me a newfound appreciation of The Eagles that I'm not sure I had before seeing it back in 2013 or 2014.  I grew up listening to classic rock or soft rock-types of music.  I vividly remember hearing songs by The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Elton John, Jackson Browne, Kansas, Chicago, Three Dog Night, Seals & Crofts, Fleetwood Mac, etc., on the radio in the '70s.  So I already liked Eagles music to an extent way before ever seeing the documentary, but I had kind of forgotten about them.  I liked The Eagles of the '70s and didn't really care about their music when they reunited and toured in the '90s and beyond.

The History of the Eagles not only shed a lot of insight into what was going on in the band in the '70s up until when they got back together, but it also gave me a lot of appreciation for how important the music was to them.  Yes, Glenn Frey seemed like he could be difficult, a bit crazy, ill-tempered, cocky and even dictatorial, but he knew what he was doing.  Up until Michael Jackson's albums took over the airwaves, The Eagles had the best selling album of all time (correct?).  That's no accident.  Frey and Henley knew what they were doing in terms of each member's role in the band, who should be singing, who should be playing, who should be writing, etc.  They wanted the harmonies to be perfect, the songs to be strong, etc.   To this day I'm not sure any other rock band has mastered harmonies as well as The Eagles did.

Now that I watch the documentary again, I realize that even the newer songs (or the ones The Eagles recorded when they regrouped) were pretty good.  They didn't have the same mysterious vibe as Hotel California or Witchy Woman, but they were/are solid songs with decent melodies.

Edited by Sherry67

MTV Live (Formerly Palladia) just aired David Bowie: Five Years, a 2013 documentary covering five pivotal years in Bowie's career. 1975-77, 1980 and 1983.

I had totally spaced that a young Luther Vandross did backing vocals (and co-wrote "Fascination") on Young Americans. Between plucking him and David Sanborn for that album, hiring a retired Robert Fripp for Heroes and Scary Monsters and hiring Stevie Ray Vaughan for Let's Dance, one of his many talents was an eye for talent.

• Love 1

I thought Stevie Ray was already a well known and respected guitarist by Let's Dance.  My guy friends (who had issue with Dave) all scoffed because the video showed him playing what was really Stevie Ray.

Perhaps I miss your point...

I'm so glad the Grammys are going through with a small tribute to Glenn Frey, featuring Jackson Browne (of course) and some of the Eagles (not Don Felder, though!) -- http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-members-jackson-browne-uniting-for-glenn-frey-grammy-tribute-20160210.  I love the song "Take It Easy," and I assume that's what they will do, but if they had more time they could probably do some sort of medley.

I was beginning to think they wouldn't do a tribute because there is so much focus on what Lady Gaga is going to do in her 7-minute David Bowie homage.  Also, a B.B. King tribute has been added as well.  Bowie and King are certainly deserving of their tributes -- no question about that -- but it was looking as though Frey was going to be skipped.

• Love 1

I thought Stevie Ray was already a well known and respected guitarist by Let's Dance.  My guy friends (who had issue with Dave) all scoffed because the video showed him playing what was really Stevie Ray.

Perhaps I miss your point...

In the video for Let's Dance, David is playing a bit of rhythm guitar, he never shown playing lead or pretended to. I don't recall him ever playing lead guitar in his entire career.  

• Love 1

I'm disappointed in the way the Grammy producers handled the Glenn Frey tribute song.  I realize that this is an unusual year, in that it seems that so many notable figures in music have died and must be honored.  But they went from one death tribute song (for Maurice White) to an award given out to Ed Sheeran.  Then, when his co-winner of the award was about to give her speech, suddenly a video of Glenn Frey appeared on a big screen behind them.  I could hear some of the audience groan and grumble, because the girl who was co-winner did not get to say anything other than "thank you."   She was cut off by an unannounced Glenn Frey video.

Then, Jackson Browne and the Eagles (some of them) took the stage, also unannounced, and started singing.  I felt as though the audience was trying to catch up with what was happening.

Jackson Browne -- who has sung the song Take It Easy thousands and thousands of times -- was not in his best voice, let's say.  His voice did not sound too good (maybe he was sick?), and he even seemed to forget the lyrics towards the end of the song.  It was odd.  The other guys were fine.

Unlike every other performance on that stage, we barely got any footage of the audience while the song was being sung, so we didn't get to see, for example, whether or not Dave Grohl was singing along, or whether or not Bruno Mars was singing along -- even though we see that for every other performance.

I kind of tend to think that the producers should have lumped all of the "death tribute songs" to everyone (Maurice White, Glenn Frey, BB King, Lemmy and David Bowie) in one big block, one after another.  I think the pacing they chose for it -- squeezing awards in between the death tributes -- feels odd.  Their In Memoriam segment hasn't even happened yet, and the tribute songs should have happened closer to that.

Edited by Sherry67

I really wish he had gotten a longer tribute so we could have gotten more songs like Desperado. David Bowie deserved a long tribute, for sure, but so did Glenn. That said, even with the unfortunate timing, I still thought all the guys were great. 

• Love 1

I really wish he had gotten a longer tribute so we could have gotten more songs like Desperado. David Bowie deserved a long tribute, for sure, but so did Glenn. That said, even with the unfortunate timing, I still thought all the guys were great. 

I definitely think that a medley (like what Bowie got) would have been warranted, because the Eagles had a lot of hits (co-written by Frey).  Even if they just did a 3-song medley I think it would have been a bit better than just the one song -- a song that a lot of people may only associate with Jackson Browne, if they are unaware of Frey's role in coming up with one line in it.

The thing that annoys me most, though, is that there was no introduction to the performance -- no build-up or lead in, like every other death tribute performance got!  That absolutely befuddles me.  And because the Eagles ended up cutting off Ed Sheeran's co-winner as she was about to speak, and then there was no intro, the audience didn't respond well at first.

I can only hope that the Eagles get a second chance to be honored at this year's Kennedy Center Honors (since it was postponed from last year due to Frey's health) -- because then there would be at least a couple of singers singing different Eagles songs, and there would at least be an intro!

Edited by Sherry67