Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Possum Posse

On 11/25/2017 at 2:14 AM, andrea monet said:

What steps does one take to get on this show once hoarding is well accomplished?

I'm fairly certain it's been cancelled. :( 

ETA: See post below...it's coming back!

On 11/25/2017 at 2:14 AM, andrea monet said:

What steps does one take to get on this show once hoarding is well accomplished?

@andrea monet! I have mislead you! It seems they are looking for people. Here's the link that the A&E Hoarders Facebook page posted. There's also a phone number to call -- head on over to the Hoarders Facebook page for that. It is listed in a post dated November 2.

Also...YAY! It's coming back!

I had wondered if moving a hoarder into a very small apartment might be a solution.  Then I read a newspaper article this is depressing, insightful and a look to the potential future.

In Japan there are many single people living in rented very small apartments.  In the small apartments, I would have thought everything has its place and the apartment are kept immaculate. (Even before I read the Kondo books on tidying and sparking joy). 

Now a number of articles are appearing with pictures, and my first reaction was (because of these television shows) to identify some of the dead as hoarders-Japanese style.  The clean up crews ...you might recognize them but from cleaning up animal hoarders' disasters.  Left over food= ramen.  Masses of cigarette buts...same.  These crews though are the ultimate cleaners. 

Anyway, I thought this was interesting and there are other stories on the web.  The one linked below is verbally graphic with supporting pictures. 

Japan's Forgotten dead: hoarding 200 sq.ft.

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 4

It never phased my late MIL (lack of space).  There was always some place to cram more stuff as she moved to a series of successively smaller spaces.  That, and storage units.

My husband had never seen a hoarded vehicle before Saturday.  He was stunned.  The woman came out of Dollar Tree, cart FULL of stuff, like she was on a mission, mumbling to herself.  There was someone in the minivan who got out and helped her open the tailgate.  It was windy.  Stuff went EVERYWHERE.  They were running around trying to catch everything.  I just pulled away.  No point in trying to help - it was almost all garbage.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2

The Family Burden of Hoarding is a detailed scientific article about hoarding, its treatment, etc.  It's a long read, but I've gotten a lot out of it.

Perhaps the comments about the use of the internet to get a more diverse group of people to study is the most interesting, because some other sciences tend to poo-poo the value of the internet.

• Love 2