Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Possum Posse

Not to be confused - although of course it often is - with the TLC show Hoarding: Buried Alive, A&E's Hoarders featured the talented clean-up guy Matt Paxton, a rotation of therapists, and a tight time schedule. The hoarders ranged from a few redeemable doofuses to horrific abusive nutjobs. The later seasons tended to feature less of the merely disgusting and more of the scary/horrific.

From pickles to "I had plans for that rock!" there was so much material for discussion and snark. This is the show that gave us "sailcats." It got a little strange at the end, including Matt's sleepovers in the horrific hoards. 

It may be out of production now but it's not at all forgotten.

Let's talk among ourselves.

Edited by Suz at Large
  • Love 1

I converted the show request into the Small Talk topic for the show -- a social topic and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk topic jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

I'm watching today's Hoaders marathon on Lifetime. Right now it's the lovely Hanna and the delightful Gary. Chickens and bunnies. I can hardly ever make it through this entire episode. I'll give it another shot. All throwable items are currently out of arm's reach at the moment, however. These are two of the nastiest people who ever lived. Yikes!

• Love 2

I am looking forward to the update show several of the cleaning crew and therapists talked about in their FB posts.  This was my favorite of all the hoarding shows (I couldn't really get into the others) and I think it was because of "cast" and crew.   

If this is one where Matt spends the night in the house, I'm glad it's cancelled; what a waste of air time and bunch of bad acting!  Enjoyed Dr. Greene with her day-glo eyeshadow, though, as well as the vampiresque Dr. Zasio, but too much drama for my taste.  Less rat poop, more actual demonstrations of how to organize and declutter too much stuff, which hopefully would apply to more of us in the real world.

• Love 1

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hi All,

I'm Chip and watch hoarding shows to remind me not to pile the comics boxes too high in my office!

I just created a thread for general discussion of the series where we can talk all about it.

• Love 1

I have to admit I am obsessed with hoarding shows even the shitty Hoarding Buried Alive. Now I have taken to watching the one produced in by Channel 4 in the UK -- it's called the Hoader Next Door. It's really good! (No stupid overnights-with-night-vision goggles or Trading Spaces makeovers.) Anyway, if you want to check it out, use Google Chrome or Firefox with the "Hola" extension installed since Channel 4 blocks other countries from access to their content. (Hola creates a VPN so your ISP's location is blocked from Channel 4's servers. Or something like that. Whatever...it works!)

This is not show-specific, but I had to run a couple of errands the other day and parked equidistant between the two stores. The car I parked next to had an old, somewhat unkempt woman in it who was smoking and reading. And the entire car was hoarded up. I briefly wondered if she was homeless and these were all her cherished possessions, but there was no organization to the stuff - it looked like someone had taken your basic hoarder room and jammed it into the car. So then I wondered if she might be so hoarded-up that she could only be in her car.

In any case, it was sad.

(edited)

I'm watching today's Hoarders marathon on Lifetime. Right now it's the lovely Hanna and the delightful Gary. Chickens and bunnies. I can hardly ever make it through this entire episode. I'll give it another shot. All throwable items are currently out of arm's reach at the moment, however. These are two of the nastiest people who ever lived. Yikes!

The shows that involve animals drive me to a red-eyed rage. Jesus, that poor, flat chicken.  

I loved how the mice took over the bunnies' living space once they had been moved out, though. Ecobalance in action!

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 2

Could we rename this thread "Hoarders: I Had Plans For That Rock!"? As an homage.

Great idea! I did a hybrid between your suggestion and our standard(ish) format.

• Love 1

I agree that sometimes you have to throw things away and NOT LOOK BACK. I struggle with disposing of things that still have usefulness but, fortunately, I live in an urban area and most everything I put on the sidewalk gets snatched up before the sanitation crew comes through. And the fleece cover to the cat bed that got destroyed? In the big garbage bag because, NO, I am not going to make another bed to cover it with.

irritable, I second the motion that you get a house cleaner while you recuperate - and perhaps beyond that. If I weren't so worried about people letting my cats out, I'd do that myself.

Grommet, I saw this cat bed video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wa2D6QaYEg a few years ago and since then I have used up all of our old sweaters and pillows making beds for my cat.  He sleeps in one of these beds in a box in the garage and from time to time strays come in and pee on it, so I need lots of them.

• Love 1

Grommet, I saw this cat bed video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wa2D6QaYEg a few years ago and since then I have used up all of our old sweaters and pillows making beds for my cat.  He sleeps in one of these beds in a box in the garage and from time to time strays come in and pee on it, so I need lots of them.

Thanks for the link! It looks like a great idea (and the kitten was quite cute as well). I've got a little feral/stray cat rescue thing going on so I might try putting these in the shelters I've built.

• Love 1

Hah, me, too!  Within my sewing talent and my cheapskate leanings.  I've always used old pillows for stuffing, so never spent a penny.  My old cat had never liked any beds I'd bought him because anything loose or soft under his feet scares him.  Almost everything scares him.  So, for him, I cut out a big circle of cardboard from a pizza box and  fit  it tightly inside the bottom so that he'll have firm footing and a little extra warmth from the garage floor.  All for the very cat who tripped me at the top of the stairs and put me in that wheelchair with two breaks and four torn ligaments.   Why do we love these creatures?  Why?

Oh lord, he was the one who put you in the wheelchair?  I understand you forgiving him, though.  They were created to be charming and adorable just so we would still want to help them even when they accidentally try to kill us.  I have an indoor cat that currently is afraid of rain to the point that she is rendered unable to use the litter box because, I figure, it's in a room where the rain can be kind of loud, so she pees and poops in the guest bath tub.  There are worse places she could do it, so I don't get mad since it's easy to clean up, but in almost every Hoarders episode you have someone with poop in their tub, so it's alarming.  Granted, theirs is usually human poop, but still.

I saw while on Pinterest the other night that I have now got over 8,000 pins.  That's a lot, I think?  So I might be an electronic hoarder, but at least everything is organized and out of the way. 

• Love 2

Hey Irritable, I keep my cat's litter pans right inside the guest bathtub, its out of the way and it keeps the mess and smell somewhat contained. Since your cat already seems to prefer going there maybe you can put a small secondary litter box in there for him?

• Love 2

I'm sure the people at my local warehouse/club store think I'm a cat hoarder. I get food for my feral colony there. I bought 4 cases of canned food and 3 big bags of dry food yesterday, and some chocolate for me. I'm middle-aged and overweight, so I fit the stereotype!

• Love 3
I saw while on Pinterest the other night that I have now got over 8,000 pins.  That's a lot, I think?  So I might be an electronic hoarder, but at least everything is organized and out of the way.

That depends.  If I take one pin away, how will you feel?  :)

• Love 7

I am not trying to be rude,just wanted to make sure people are aware that knitted cat beds for feral cats tend to get damp and are actually cold for the outdoor cats to lay on.I guess I am an official crazy cat lady as well.When I buy my cat food I always get the wow how many cats do you have?This is for the food I buy for my feral colony.Nobody really notices me buying food for my indoor cats since I buy it from my vet.My only answer I give when I am asked how many cats I have is many many.

I mentioned on another thread about my new neighbors and them potentially being hoarders.  I am still wondering.

It took over a month, but the washing machine that sat in the driveway is finally gone.  I was going to go over there and offer him the phone number of someone I know who does scrap, and would pick it up for free, but he's not very friendly.  I know he's married, but I've only seen her once or twice.  I'm wondering if the manager of our community said something to him.  She's extremely fussy about that kind of thing.

When they were moving in, they took the screen door off.  I could understand that.  We unhooked ours so it would stay open when we were moving in.  Almost 2 months later, it's still off, and leaning up against the side of their mobile.  They still have boxes and stuff piled up under their covered porch area.  It's hard to tell just how much, because there's a knee-high picket fence around that area (it was put in by the old owner, who passed away), but there's stuff there.  On Sunday, I went into work for a few hours, and a teenager came out of the house and down the steps, talking on his phone.  He was kind-of walking backwards, and he about fell over a pile of stuff.  Yesterday, I saw they still have their Christmas tree in the living room window, but it's not being lit (at least).

We got some snow about 2 weeks ago.  The guy was standing outside - sometimes with his dogs, sometimes not - just staring at other people.  It was creepy.  I just get this strange vibe off of him.  My husband was going to see if anyone else needed help clearing their driveway since he got the snowblower out, but pretty much everyone else had dug out.  Except him.  My husband said he wasn't going to go over - he said "He doesn't look friendly, and seems like the type that if you breathe wrong on something, he'll pitch a fit".

Time will tell.....

• Love 3

Good luck, funky-rat. That sounds like a difficult situation in the making.

Most people here are friendly, but tend to keep to themselves, which is nice - I hate when people are all up in your business.  If you're driving in the community and pass someone out walking, or with their dogs, they will generally wave, and some will stop if you're outside and they're walking by to chit-chat.  But something is off about this guy, and I can't explain it.  I've waved at him, and he just stares.  If he keeps his junk confined to his home, and where I can't see it, then fine.  There are a lot of older people here, and he and his wife are older people.  I'd guess in their 70's.  I just wish he'd take a little more pride in his home.  His is a fair bit newer than mine, and thus it's a little nicer than mine, but I hate to see someone take something nice and let it go - especially when others are living in fairly close proximity.  I don't know his backstory - maybe he had a home he had to leave for some reason and he's bitter - who knows?  I'm also a little sensitive - we rented for 20 years - first an apartment, then a small house, and we were forced out of that house after 17 years because the landlord wanted out.  My parents had promised us their house and they were going to move into something smaller, but they remodeled to make the house more sale-able, and they decided they liked it, and wanted to stay.  They were also in for a rude awakening when they looked at stuff that was geared more toward seniors.  So being in a tight spot, my parents bought us this place, rather than see us go to another rental.  I take pride in my home, even though it's an older mobile home.  We work hard to make it nice, and we're making it our own bit by bit.  And I'm now a little more sensitive to what's going on around me than I was when I had no vested interest in where I lived.

• Love 2

That's sounds scary funky-rat.

Right now, it's just more irritating than anything else.  When I left for work this morning, I saw they still had Christmas wreaths hanging.  And 4 snow shovels sitting out.  I assume he has kids -  I believe that the Cadillac that was in his driveway belongs to the parents of the teen who about fell over outside (they just have one car - a red minivan).  Hopefully someone will watch and keep things in check.  One good thing about proactive management, which we have - she doesn't tolerate people leaving their outside areas messy - she will say something, and she will do clean-up and send you the bill if you don't comply.  At least the washing machine is finally gone.  That's a good thing.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 1

I happened to find this article today:http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/09/ocd-obsessive-compulsive-decluttering-hoarding/401591/

It's called "The Opposite of Hoarding." (Sorry my link thing isn't working.)

It is me and my peeps! I related to so many of these statements, "I only ever have three pairs of shoes," I feel "crushing weight," if I have too much stuff, and the woman who would rather re-buy things than store them.

This year we lost our heads and gave away our perfectly nice, newish, big artificial Christmas tree, a few weeks before Christmas. The only things we had in the attic were Christmas related and we were thinking how nice it would be to know there was nothing up there at all. So we figured out we could easily store the ornaments and lights in tidy Christmas shopping bags in our spare bedroom's closet -- but not the tree. So out it went with some vague idea of buying a smaller tree that would fit in the closet, but there really is no such thing. So we decorated the mantle and the front of the house and then stacked our Christmas presents around a plant. BTW, all the packages have to be wrapped in identical gold foil. "Outsider," gifts are hidden in the closet until the last minute.

I can't wait to get this woman's book. I've been watching that "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners," show they mention on You-tube all day.

{snip} I've been watching that "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners," show they mention on You-tube all day.

What an odd show! I'd never heard of it before.

Edited to add: I found a couple of Life Laundry episodes on You Tube. That was my first experience with shows about hoarding, and it was really well done. Not a lot of drama but much kindness and helpfulness.

Edited by Grommet
  • Love 1

On Friday, when I came home from work, Potential Hoarder/Crabby Old Man Neighbor and his wife were outside, and the door to that little building they built was open.  I was trying hard not to be nosy, but I could easily see inside, and it was packed full of boxes and just random stuff.  I'm not sure what was going on, but they were in there rooting through stuff, and arguing.  I just started walking into my house when I saw them.  By the time I got to the top of the ramp, she was screaming "I TOLD YOU I DON'T WANT THAT ANYMORE!!!".  He yelled something back that I couldn't hear, and she went inside and slammed the door.  And then slammed it again.  When I looked, I couldn't believe my eyes.  They FINALLY put the screen door back on!!  After only 5 months.....

I told Mr. Funky when he got home, and he laughed.  He said one evening he ran out to the store briefly, and they had the mini blind up in the living room.  He said he didn't want to stare, but it looked cluttered.  But hey - at least they put the door back on.  When they were building that little building that sits in their side yard, he sat out there every day, inspecting every single thing that went on.  I couldn't deal with that if I were working on something.

• Love 1

I think what has helped me the most in getting rid of stuff is #1- moving. Even though we moved to a larger home just having to put things in boxes & evaluate it for future use had us eliminating quite a bit.

#2- I joined a twin moms club 14 years ago. The only reason I'm still a member is that twice a year we hold a huge consignment sale. About 30 members consign & we get about 80% of our sales. The club takes care of the venue & advertising.

I currently have about 200 items in my formal dining room that are priced & ready to go. The sale is in a month. The majority I've chosen to donate afterwards if they don't sell.

This has been the easiest way for me to manage clutter. I keep big bins in the basement that I use to store sale items between sales.

As the child of hoarders it is also reassuring to me that I CAN let things go, though Mr Jumbo still grumbles about the number of books I own. :)

• Love 2

That's amazing, Mrs. Jumbo -mother-of-twins (say it like Nancy Grace!) 

I've  always thought the Hoarder shows should have more garage sales going on.  All those things that they can't part with because, "that's worth money!" could be set straight out in the yard and the hoarder could have the prospect of having mo' money  and shopping for mo' stuff!  I know good garage sales are nicely sorted and priced but if it was advertised as:  "Tons of merchandise! Everything must go! One dollar per bag!"  Maybe the shoppers would eliminate a lot of the work for them.

Before the hoarder shows started Oprah had a two part show about a woman who hoarded her huge house.  Everything was taken to a church basement, spread out and sold.  It was awesome to see it all sorted on tables.

Of course this would only work for the clean but cluttered type of hoarder.  Even the most crazed garage saler I know wouldn't buy a bag of adult diapers.

• Love 1

I was watching American Pickers the other day, and it was like watching an episode of Hoarders, without the therapists.  I never really thought of it that way, but it's true.  Usually the only difference is that the houses of the people they pick are often (but not always) fairly neat, but their outbuildings and storage areas generally aren't.  Lots of "I like to hunt for stuff", "That's a treasure", "I love auctions", "I got that on the side of the road", and "Nope.  I want to keep that."

• Love 2

I was watching American Pickers the other day, and it was like watching an episode of Hoarders, without the therapists.  I never really thought of it that way, but it's true.  Usually the only difference is that the houses of the people they pick are often (but not always) fairly neat, but their outbuildings and storage areas generally aren't.  Lots of "I like to hunt for stuff", "That's a treasure", "I love auctions", "I got that on the side of the road", and "Nope.  I want to keep that."

The only time I watched that show that was my very thought!

Mr Jumbo refers to yard sales or resale shops as OPS- "Other People's Sh!t".

There was a show "Clean Sweep" that I miss. That was for cleaner hoarders. They would sort & have a big yard sale.

This show seems to deal with the more severe hoarder with serious emotional problems.

I love all types of Hoarder shows, bring 'em on!

• Love 2

**SIGH**

When I left for work yesterday, there was a white van in the neighbors driveway.  I've seen it there before.  It must be some sort of handyman he hires.

When I came home, there was a......toilet......in the driveway.  Yep.  A toilet.  A dirty one at that. Let's see how long that sits there.  The washer was there a good month or so.

This morning, there was a piece of paper taped to it.  I couldn't read what it said, because the wind was blowing.  If he's expecting someone to come and take that away, I think he'll be in for a rude awakening.  Especially since our roads are private and have no through access to any other roads.  You're not coming in to our community unless you know someone there, or live there, and to complicate matters, we live in the back corner, so it's not like anyone driving by on the road that the entrance to our community is on will see it from the road.  Obviously, the handyman that was there yesterday didn't want it, so it must not be working, or worth anything to him for scrap.

I don't know how much he paid for that unit.  We were curious, but it was never put up on the service where the owners list the units for sale.  It had a "for sale" sign on it for a day or two, then it was sold.  We think the people who bought it might have known the lady who lived there and passed away.  But still, I don't know how you can pay for a home, and then just take no pride in it.  The mind boggles.

• Love 1

I must be watching too much of these hoarder shows. I was watching the Kiera knightly version of Pride & Prejudice, then Mansfield Park, & in both of those it looked like there was black mold on the walls.

• Love 1

Does anyone have hoarder parents that are selective in the way they hoard? As mr jumbo was making a crack about "that's your parent's house" as I was watching an episode, I thought about it. Entering my parents house, their living room is a bit shabby but not cluttered. My dads bedroom is neat & tidy. The bathrooms are fine. The kitchen counters are a but packed but otherwise it's functional. Six can sit in their dining room comfortably.

My dads "tv room" is a mess, however. Mostly paper clutter everywhere you look. There is a small path to walk through that room. You cannot sit on the couch, if you even knew it was a couch.

My moms bedroom is the same way. Her closets are overstuffed with clothes (she's also taken over the closets in 2 other rooms). There are boxes & papers everywhere.

The basement is literally walk to wall furniture. Somehow they inherited furniture when their parents died & no one else wanted it. You have to walk in a slim path to get through. And there are thick cobwebs, ewww.

It's funny that my mom tries to keep up this "neat" appearance around her friends. If anyone comes over they don't go past the living room. And her clothes are always clean & fairly new. Have to keep up appearances.

Does anyone have hoarder parents that are selective in the way they hoard? As mr jumbo was making a crack about "that's your parent's house" as I was watching an episode, I thought about it. Entering my parents house, their living room is a bit shabby but not cluttered. My dads bedroom is neat & tidy. The bathrooms are fine. The kitchen counters are a but packed but otherwise it's functional. Six can sit in their dining room comfortably.

My dads "tv room" is a mess, however. Mostly paper clutter everywhere you look. There is a small path to walk through that room. You cannot sit on the couch, if you even knew it was a couch.

My moms bedroom is the same way. Her closets are overstuffed with clothes (she's also taken over the closets in 2 other rooms). There are boxes & papers everywhere.

The basement is literally walk to wall furniture. Somehow they inherited furniture when their parents died & no one else wanted it. You have to walk in a slim path to get through. And there are thick cobwebs, ewww.

It's funny that my mom tries to keep up this "neat" appearance around her friends. If anyone comes over they don't go past the living room. And her clothes are always clean & fairly new. Have to keep up appearances.

Yep.  Living room is not bad.  Kitchen has been much better since they remodeled it, but sometimes there is a pile 'o stuff on the table.  Guest room is immaculate.  Bathroom is decent, save for the closet - my mom can't say no to a good deal on cosmetics, and it shows.  Their bedroom is passable - mom has an issue with shoes and purses, and putting laundry away.  But my old room, which is now the "computer room" is always junky at best.  That's where the bags and boxes full of stuff go when she gets unexpected company, and they tend to stay there.  I haven't been in the basement in some time, but it's not a finished basement.  I know that some of the furniture down there went into a dumpster, and two pieces were re-finished and went to my new house when we moved, and one was refinished and put back upstairs in the guest bedroom.  There is one small room in the back of the basement that is full of books and other stuff that badly needs to be gone through.

I live with my parents and we all have degrees of hoarding. Nothing gross though! Just collecting things like computer parts and letting them pile up in a spare bedroom, or mom's huge purse stock. But I have the worst tendency. I tend to mail order and set the envelopes and boxes aside. At one point I shoved it all in the closet rather than deal. Now, not only am I gathering that, but piling up all this dollar, two dollar cheap jewelry, makeup, etc I like but can't possibly use all at once. My floors are clean but I need to keep things in check. At least I've recently had energy for cleaning out trash and donating clothes, but it is slow going.