Type keyword(s) to search

Rehab Addict - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Just a couple of things to add, she wrote on FB that for $1500 the tub could be brought up to code.
And anything painted gray screams "teens" to me, because some shade of grade is on every show that flips or designs.  I'd think originally, it would have been white.

I never see those pull-chain toilets.  I wonder if the homeowners replaced them long ago.

Edited by auntjess

Yes, Renovate to Rent is a good show.  I think one of the ones you watched was a new one, because I see it on my DVR.
And should we now get the mod for this thread to change the title to Who's Watching Who's Watching Rehab Addict?

• Love 5

Thanks for the recommendation on a new show to watch! I like the reno shows but I can't handle this one anymore. I'll check out Renovate to Rent.

Chai - you would think so. If it is her, it's a bad idea. If it's not her, her 'people' should consider finding out who it is and stopping them. Maybe her ratings are good enough that they don't care, but it can't be a good thing to be losing (formerly) loyal viewers.

• Love 1

My favorite reno show is Flip or Flop. It's not old houses, all are in the LA area, but I just love Tareq and his wife Christina. She has wonderful taste in finishes.

I thought it was bad enough that Nicole came and ranted at posters the first time, but now twice? Too much. I would occasionally watch parts of a show if nothing else was on, but no more. Sounds like she's got enough sycophants on her FB page that losing a few of us with her rants is no big deal.

• Love 3

I would also recommend "Fixer Upper," as they buy super cheap, sometimes disgusting properties, and they renovate them with care and consideration for the period of the house, the charm of the fixtures, trim, floors, walls, etc, but update the home with beautiful bathrooms and kitchens that use quality materials.  I'm often shocked at the renovation costs and the beautiful homes these people get on their budgets-we're talking $100,000 here.  I also think the hosts are likeable and seem like nice people-there's little to no drama-even though there is always some "extra" discovered during renovation, but it's never a big deal.  Chip and Joanna would have never desecrated that powder room like Nicole did.

• Love 4

larapu2000, I agree. Fixer Upper is recommended from me as well - it's my current favorite show/Chip and Joanna are my favorite couple to watch renovate.

ETA: This may be off topic, but it looks like we all might be looking for new options... ;) 

Edited by missalanny
  • Love 4

I'll third "Fixer Upper". Chip and Joanna are great--he's a big goober and she has fantastic taste, they're fun.

As for RA, I'm done. Nicole's first rant was unsettling and the second one was off-putting enough that it's soured me on the whole show. I would think her producers would not be thrilled about this (whether it's actually Nicole or not).

• Love 3

Thanks for all the recommendations! I have them all set up on DVR now and will see what I end up liking as a good alternative. Hope to see all of you on the forums for those, if there are any set up.

• Love 2

My favorite reno show is Flip or Flop. It's not old houses, all are in the LA area, but I just love Tareq and his wife Christina. She has wonderful taste in finishes.

I thought it was bad enough that Nicole came and ranted at posters the first time, but now twice? Too much. I would occasionally watch parts of a show if nothing else was on, but no more. Sounds like she's got enough sycophants on her FB page that losing a few of us with her rants is no big deal.

Not only that, she visited my profile (whether it's Real Nicole or a fake). Creepy.

Not only that, she visited my profile (whether it's Real Nicole or a fake). Creepy.

I'm certain it's really Nicole. The responses are written in the usual style of her rants, poor grammar and lack of punctuation, run on sentences, odd use of dashes and numbers to make a point. I'm not sure anyone else could mimic that mess, and who would want to!

She has visited my profile too, and I have no doubt she would have written me a lovely personal message if I had included my email. I have to admit I sometimes accidentally hit people's names, which brings you to their profile, especially

when I'm on my phone, but I don't think it was accidental that Nicole was checking out our profiles.

• Love 5

Yes, and I'll look at profiles sometimes, especially if someone likes your post, or you think they're on several sorts of things with you.
Idle curiosity.
I moved the rest of my post to the small talk thread.

Edited by auntjess

Chip and Joanna would have never desecrated that powder room like Nicole did.

I agree, but also want to point out that (and I LOVE Fixer Upper) I've noticed Joanna doing things that I've thought Nicole would never do.

At least twice her furniture guy - Clint? - has had to dig good wood out of the dumpster to make things, and there was a 1920's house that Joanna absolutely ripped the character right out of. Nicole would've never done that.

That being said, I agree with some of the things said here relating to finishes on RH, staining and whatnot.

I think both Nicole and Joanna are very good at what they do for the most part.

I recently started watching Renovate to Rent, I love that they give ALL the financial details, it's very informative, and something Nicole hasn't done since the Minnehaha debacle. They tend to be frugal, and also keep a lot of original features in the houses, but they renovate the homes to appeal to people, not do a shoddy cover up job to flip the house as quick as possible, like Nicole. They don't pretend to do all of the work themselves, they give credit to their crew, but are quite hands on. What I love about the show is there is no drama, it's very straightforward, and it's not an ego trip about the host rather than the house. The guys are not very popular amongst Nicole and her neighborhood cronies because they are buying in the trendy Uptown neighborhood she lives in, and often turn single family homes into rentals, something Nicole and cronies are very much against.

Edited by Mplsmn
  • Love 4

How many of Nicole's houses have actually sold?

The 1900 25th house has been on and off the market, the price was dropped, it isn't listed now, but still shows as belonging to Detroit Renovations. That one is the one with the open concept master suite/toilet. Shes owned that one for a while now, maybe she took a cue from the RTR guys and is renting it out.

Edited by Mplsmn
  • Love 1

She says that the new owner could paint the black bathroom.  But then she'll go on her FB page and bitch about it.  Og forbid anyone make a change to any of her houses. I'm done too, and I've watched this show from the beginning.  I used to really like Nicole.

• Love 5

A lot of great stuff, quoting many of you to help keep my thoughts straight! 

And did anyone notice in the reveal that the sink had a bar of soap sitting across that hole in the top of it (where the doorknob had previously been) and still had stains around the drain? Take that beautiful sink out and let professionals fix it!

As others have said, she's done this before. At least twice before, finishing a bathroom & strategically putting a totchke over a hole. I think one was the dollar house, and in that one, she used an awful old dresser - really beat up - and a broken piece of marble for the top, and the "after" pics mostly avoid showing the broken corner. But nothing could camouflage the bad black paint on the particle board on the side of the dresser. She'd have done better to glue a piece of luan or ply over it, then paint it. 

Of course, then this year she ranted about using dressers and converting them to bathroom sinks. Do as I say, not as I do!

THE BATHROOM SINK. That alone merits its own post. First Nicole says, "Meh, separate hot and cold faucets. Who cares?" I would. Modern technology allows us to mix hot and cold water into one faucet for a more pleasant experience. It's a simple fix with a new or newer vintage faucet set. Then she does a crappy job of "fixing" the rust with a sloppy ceramic patch. THEN she places a soap dish over the hole from the missing faucet piece and calls it "done." Notice we didn't get an up-close look after the patch job. Please repair or replace the sink to a version a buyer would actually want to use. I love old houses, but that sink was not acceptable as finished.

You know another reason we do mixer sinks now? Safety. It's way to easy to get burned without them. And the reason they didn't used to do them? Because you could use non-potable water for hot water heaters, and use water from the mains for cold. The hot water heaters could have dangerous microbes. So for a long time, they kept them apart. Then we learned how to have clean hot water. Progress - it's amazing! 

Your grammar and punctuation are unique, and I can't read your fans comments, too much ass kissing and repetitiveness. Also, I haven't "liked" your FB page, because of my busy life I don't want constant updates on your's, so I might have missed some info. It seems like you tightly control your FB page, it must drive you crazy that you can't control what is posted here,

Just wanted to thank you for that giggle.

<snip>

I'm over it. Setting the DVR for upcoming eps of Renovate to Rent. Young guys. Minimal drah-mah. For them, it's business and they seem to be serious - and successful - with the business.

And, BTW, on an episode of RTR I saw yesterday? They went to the salvage place (Bauer's?) in Minneapolis that we've seen before on RA, and bought a set of woodwork (door casing and columns) which they installed in the house they were renovating to restore its original period entryway. [ETA: No doubt the editing monkeys worked that bit heavily as to them just walking in and "finding" just the right stuff, but the fact is they did buy and install a major bit of period woodwork.] They also did coffered ceilings, and at the end they had a beautifully restored house of the era that Nicole specializes in. We saw the purchase price, total spent on renovations, and amount of rent they're getting. And, they honored and restored the period features of the entry/stairway/living/dining areas.

I really like Renovate to Rent. They're not in the business to become celebs, but to do work. They're also pretty successful, which allows them to go on and "save" more houses, even if they are doing them up as rentals. I appreciate seeing the financials - it lets non-pros know how much it can cost to fix up older homes. 

I would think her producers would be against posting on message boards like that. 

A few months ago, on Twitter, Nicole livetweeted her tv watching for the evening. She got pretty derogatory towards a bunch of the people on Renovation Realities, and then babbled on about how some "other shows" aren't doing what she does, will rip out anything etc. Yes, she needs a handler. This week, she posted a screencap of a message on FB from someone. It wasn't the nicest message, but she just loves "punching down." You don't do that when you're a celeb. Of course, then she goes on about how she didn't want to be a celeb! Please. You do not go on TV without knowing that you will get some fame. If you say otherwise, you're lying.

I recently started watching Renovate to Rent, I love that they give ALL the financial details, it's very informative, and something Nicole hasn't done since the Minnehaha debacle. They tend to be frugal, and also keep a lot of original features in the houses, but they renovate the homes to appeal to people, not do a shoddy cover up job to flip the house as quick as possible, like Nicole. They don't pretend to do all of the work themselves, they give credit to their crew, but are quite hands on. What I love about the show is there is no drama, it's very straightforward, and it's not an ego trip about the host rather than the house. The guys are not very popular amongst Nicole and her neighborhood cronies because they are buying in the trendy Uptown neighborhood she lives in, and often turn single family homes into rentals, something Nicole and cronies are very much against.

I'm sure Nicole despises them. I'm surprised she hasn't directly talked about them yet, but I do think it's funny that you never see interactions between them, considering their proximity. All the other DIY/HGTVers interact!

You know what's funny? Many many houses have been used as rentals over the centuries. I was looking up census records for my family's house in Philadelphia around 1905-1920. These are brick "rowhouses", lovely places, great floors, stairs, marble stoops, etc. - they weren't separated as rentals, but census showed about half of them had boarders. It's nothing new. All those "grand old houses" in urban areas were not always lived in by single families. 

• Love 6

A lot of great stuff, quoting many of you to help keep my thoughts straight! 

As others have said, she's done this before. At least twice before, finishing a bathroom & strategically putting a totchke over a hole. I think one was the dollar house, and in that one, she used an awful old dresser - really beat up - and a broken piece of marble for the top, and the "after" pics mostly avoid showing the broken corner. But nothing could camouflage the bad black paint on the particle board on the side of the dresser. She'd have done better to glue a piece of luan or ply over it, then paint it. 

Of course, then this year she ranted about using dressers and converting them to bathroom sinks. Do as I say, not as I do!

You know another reason we do mixer sinks now? Safety. It's way to easy to get burned without them. And the reason they didn't used to do them? Because you could use non-potable water for hot water heaters, and use water from the mains for cold. The hot water heaters could have dangerous microbes. So for a long time, they kept them apart. Then we learned how to have clean hot water. Progress - it's amazing! 

Just wanted to thank you for that giggle.

I really like Renovate to Rent. They're not in the business to become celebs, but to do work. They're also pretty successful, which allows them to go on and "save" more houses, even if they are doing them up as rentals. I appreciate seeing the financials - it lets non-pros know how much it can cost to fix up older homes. 

A few months ago, on Twitter, Nicole livetweeted her tv watching for the evening. She got pretty derogatory towards a bunch of the people on Renovation Realities, and then babbled on about how some "other shows" aren't doing what she does, will rip out anything etc. Yes, she needs a handler. This week, she posted a screencap of a message on FB from someone. It wasn't the nicest message, but she just loves "punching down." You don't do that when you're a celeb. Of course, then she goes on about how she didn't want to be a celeb! Please. You do not go on TV without knowing that you will get some fame. If you say otherwise, you're lying.

I'm sure Nicole despises them. I'm surprised she hasn't directly talked about them yet, but I do think it's funny that you never see interactions between them, considering their proximity. All the other DIY/HGTVers interact!

You know what's funny? Many many houses have been used as rentals over the centuries. I was looking up census records for my family's house in Philadelphia around 1905-1920. These are brick "rowhouses", lovely places, great floors, stairs, marble stoops, etc. - they weren't separated as rentals, but census showed about half of them had boarders. It's nothing new. All those "grand old houses" in urban areas were not always lived in by single families. 

Yes I saw that and decided to unfollow her on fb as well. She went on a rant here twice now and then acted like its not her fault she acted like a b!tch? C'mon! you have your own tv show you damn well better plaster a smile on that face when people recognize you in public.  The only thing she should be saying on any public forum in any capacity is "thank you for watching my show"

• Love 6

You know another reason we do mixer sinks now? Safety. It's way to easy to get burned without them. And the reason they didn't used to do them? Because you could use non-potable water for hot water heaters, and use water from the mains for cold.

Thanks for that information, I never knew about using non-potable water for hot.  I did have a neighbor who used it for outdoor use, and always warned kids not to drink from his hose.

I remember the sinks in college were separate taps, you'd put a bit of cold, then a bit of hot.

I still can't see how you can put a house on the market, especially when the world knows you're doing it, and not have it be up to code.

And the point of Renovation Realities is to show the dumb things people do, so others will know not the hold a chainsaw up over your head on a heavily sloped lot.

• Love 3

Whew, that's really a bitchfest going on over on FB! I have no doubt whatsoever that Nicole is capable of saying "Thank you" in a very bitchy manner. It's not what you say, it's how you say it. I have seen Nicole in public many times, her demeanor is "not approachable." I don't think what the original woman posted was the right thing to do, or necessary, but Nicole's reaction and subsequent shaming, and the harassment by crazy ass kissing fans, is very petty and unprofessional.

It's a joke that Nicole claims to not want attention and to be on tv, everything she puts on social media is for attention and adoration, but I guess that's exactly it, she only wants the worship and praise, no criticism, how dare they! Someone here nailed it in an earlier post, "the Cult of Curtis." How on earth does someone who doesn't want to be on tv end up with a show, is someone forcing her, didn't she know it would be televised? That's another load of BS. She wants the attention, money and perks she can get from the show, just not the hassle that comes with it all.

This isn't Nicole's first brush with celebrity either, here's a pic from 2005.

http://imagecollect.com/picture/dave-coulier-photo-2430478/archival-pictures-globe-photos-55471

This is her bio from MP, it mentions her life as a Hollywood housewife, LOL,

http://www.magneticproductions.com/rehab-addict/

• Love 3

Dave Coulier?  There.are.no.words.  

Hey, Nicole, if you come back to comment, why do your kitchens never have any contiguous counter space?  There have been several times where a well-placed peninsula could have given one of your kitchens some much needed counter and storage space.

• Love 2

-snip-

And the point of Renovation Realities is to show the dumb things people do, so others will know not the hold a chainsaw up over your head on a heavily sloped lot.

That remains the most terrifying episode of RR I've ever seen. The teaser for it made me think that they were going to televise a decapitation!

-snip-

This isn't Nicole's first brush with celebrity either, here's a pic from 2005.

http://imagecollect.com/picture/dave-coulier-photo-2430478/archival-pictures-globe-photos-55471

This is her bio from MP, it mentions her life as a Hollywood housewife, LOL,

http://www.magneticproductions.com/rehab-addict/

Joining the chorus of "Dave Coulier? Really?" also LOL. 

"This street-smart Detroit native spent two years living the high life as a Hollywood housewife—decorating her multi-million dollar mansion with all the luxuries."

Housewife implies husband. It also implies rich "Hollywood" husband. 

It's funny - by being non-transparent, she's inviting research into her past. If you're going to construct an Horatio Alger-esque background of rags to riches, you should be honest about the genesis.

From here (the whole thing is a paean to bootstrapping): 

"I scrubbed floors for 10 years and worked my rear off to get where I am at-don’t think for a minute that I’m the person to whine to that you should be able to shortstep the process of dedication because you are a woman–last time I checked, I am too."

(They quote from her facebook - same style of commentary as she's done here.)

OK, when were those 10 years of scrubbing floors? Not when she was a Hollywood Housewife. In 2012, she said she came to Minneapolis in 2007. And she says once she did, she was doing real estate & selling furniture on Craigslist. Was she scrubbing floors in Hollywood?

Let me say, I have nothing but respect for single moms who support their kids. Or married moms. But it's not an unusual occurrence. It's what people do.

Hey, Nicole, if you come back to comment, why do your kitchens never have any contiguous counter space?  There have been several times where a well-placed peninsula could have given one of your kitchens some much needed counter and storage space.

Pshaw - obviously no one needed workspace in old homes! ;) 

At least she doesn't bring the dog on construction sites anymore. 

I KNOW. That drove me nuts. I mean, with the flip flops, she's only hurting herself. 

P.S. today she blocked me on twitter. I'm laughing! I guess she didn't like me saying she was mean to people on twitter, too. 

• Love 6

P.S. today she blocked me on twitter. I'm laughing! I guess she didn't like me saying she was mean to people on twitter, too.

This cracked me up, you mean person, you!

I think that it isn't in my DNA to be anyone's true fangirl, so I don't understand it on all these Facebook pages.

Even the hottest, and one of the funniest guys on TV, Bryan Baeumler, does things I don't agree with.

It's the same adulation on Hilary Farr's page.

• Love 3

Housewife implies husband. It also implies rich "Hollywood" husband. 

From here (the whole thing is a paean to bootstrapping): 

"I scrubbed floors for 10 years and worked my rear off to get where I am at-don’t think for a minute that I’m the person to whine to that you should be able to shortstep the process of dedication because you are a woman–last time I checked, I am too."

(They quote from her facebook - same style of commentary as she's done here.)

OK, when were those 10 years of scrubbing floors? Not when she was a Hollywood Housewife. In 2012, she said she came to Minneapolis in 2007. And she says once she did, she was doing real estate & selling furniture on Craigslist. Was she scrubbing floors in Hollywood?

Let me say, I have nothing but respect for single moms who support their kids. Or married moms. But it's not an unusual occurrence. It's what people do.

Nicole claims to have never been married, and Dave Coulier isn't her sons dad, but he provided them with a taste of the high life for a few years, apparently.

Her stories don't add up, but reinventions rarely do. She says she put herself through college as a bartender at Hooters, yep, Hooters. I'm dubious of the bartending claim though. I worked at many bars in my college years too, and at every one of them you had to be tall enough to reach the over head glasses in order to bartend, Nicole wouldn't come close. Maybe Hooters doesn't have over head glass racks. She said it was a great place and didn't objectify women at all, she brings her son to Hooters now.

Good for you, getting yourself blocked on Twitter, are you also blocked on FB? I once made a really bening comment, it was during her begging for artists to give her work for staging, in exchange for "exposure." I said it was exploitive to ask artists to donate work like that, did she offer free design consultations, it got me blocked from commenting ever again on FB. She loves to censor her media!

• Love 2

Mplsmn, did she offer you "exposure" in exchange for free art?  I have lots of friends who now do freelance writing, and that's the ploy that people want to offer them all too often.

Nicole asked people on FB for items to stage her Case Ave. house, artwork, furniture, etc., in exchange for the exposure, think of the millions of viewers!! She didn't initially say she would keep the work, or return it, but many people were upset when they found out she expected to keep their items. Nicole then got defensive and angry and said she was just trying to help artists out, out of the goodness of her heart, she was doing them a favor. She said the nature of a "donation" was to give something away. It was typical arrogance, she eventually said she would post the work on her FB page with links to people's websites, but it was a disaster. You really never saw the work on the show either, it was maybe in a background shot. Nicole really needs a PR team.
  • Love 2

Nicole claims to have never been married, and Dave Coulier isn't her sons dad, but he provided them with a taste of the high life for a few years, apparently.

-snip-

Good for you, getting yourself blocked on Twitter, are you also blocked on FB? I once made a really bening comment, it was during her begging for artists to give her work for staging, in exchange for "exposure." I said it was exploitive to ask artists to donate work like that, did she offer free design consultations, it got me blocked from commenting ever again on FB. She loves to censor her media!

I wonder how she ended up in Hollywood.

Nope, not blocked on FB, though I got on her bad side at one point. She posted about how people shouldn't take apart old sewing machines because OMG sacrilege! My husband & I posted pics of the ones we've rehabbed into things not put in the scrap pile. We do a lot of that kind of thing. She got all nasty on both of us, but a lot of other people commented saying how nice it was that we were doing it.

I don't follow her on FB, nor twitter, either. She's so annoying and me me me.

The dining room on tonight's episode was so beautiful!  Those coffered ceilings and that lovely paneling, the windowseat!  Sigh.  I'd like to know how much extra getting a leaded glass door for the built-in would have been.  It makes me wonder if you couldn't take one of those old windows they're selling everywhere now and make a door from that?  Those are usually a few hundred dollars (in a Chicago antique shop), I've seen them for much less where I live in central Indiana.  

I can't find that much to snark about in tonight's episode.  Other than the fact that Nicole can't seem to remember to empty her pockets before the TSA screening.  Edited to add:  I forgot about her complaining about people painting ceiling beams.  After she painted trim BLACK last week.  

You know, Prince is from Minneapolis, maybe Nicole met Dave Coulier through him.  Wait, never mind.  Prince is cool.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 1

I can't find that much to snark about in tonight's episode.  Other than the fact that Nicole can't seem to remember to empty her pockets before the TSA screening.  Edited to add:  I forgot about her complaining about people painting ceiling beams.  After she painted trim BLACK last week.  

The furniture. "The antique market is getting really sparse." OK, someone from Detroit tell me, do you pronounce "sparse" to rhyme with "hairs"? For 52 years, I've been saying it to rhyme with "cars"! I had to rewind & look at closed captioning because I didn't know what she was saying.

But anyway, there are still plenty of antiques out there, just not free ones. Or maybe people aren't as willing to give her stuff for her tv show? I don't know. No one donates to Property Brothers, or LIOLI, or any of the other bajillion shows. It's a tv show, not a charity.

It's a beautiful room, but let's be honest - it started out that way. Repainting, really. Nothing exceptionally "rehabby" about it, except the window. 

And yeah, not all beams started out as wood. Paint has been used for millennium! Even some actual Tudor era homes in the UK have painted beams and woodwork. (I admit it. I absolutely adore watching UK shows - Restoration Man, Escape to the Country, etc. They all are always converting, renovating, and expanding homes as old as 500 years. Thank heavens they're not as anal about keeping things originally to those eras! People would have to cook over open flames, and use outhouses and floor rushes! Shock horror, instead they actually install stand up showers, modern appliances, and open up kitchens to dining or family rooms. 

p.s. - those windows are called "mullioned."

p.p.s those aren't "manors" - manor houses were mansions, on very large properties. It's a nice Tudor-style single family house. Upper-middle class, probably. 

Edited by txvoodoo
  • Love 1

p.s. - those windows are called "mullioned."

p.p.s those aren't "manors" - manor houses were mansions, on very large properties. It's a nice Tudor-style single family house. Upper-middle class, probably. 

THIS.  So much THIS.  Downtown Abbey is a manor house.  Plantation homes were manor houses.  NOT this lovely Tudor.

• Love 1

Thanks to you guys, I've now learned about Nicole's former involvement with Dave Coulier.  After laughing really hard for a few minutes, I had an epiphany about the source of Nicole's unusual temperment and seemingly bottomless anger towards the general public. Dave Coulier inspired Alanis Morrisette to write angry-girl anthem "You Oughta Know"... Dave Coulier apparently is responsible for kicking Nicole Curtis out of her life of decorating her mansion and into a life of "floor scrubbing" (timeframe that doesn't add up notwithstanding)... mammas, don't let your babies grow up to date Dave Coulier ;)

Edited by missalanny
  • Love 3

Thanks to you guys, I've now learned about Nicole's former involvement with Dave Coulier.  After laughing really hard for a few minutes, I had an epiphany about the source of Nicole's unusual temperment and seemingly bottomless anger towards the general public. Dave Coulier inspired Alanis Morrisette to write angry-girl anthem "You Oughta Know"... Dave Coulier apparently is responsible for kicking Nicole Curtis out of her life of decorating her mansion and into a life of "floor scrubbing" (timeframe that doesn't add up notwithstanding)... mothers, don't let your daughters grow up to date Dave Coulier ;)

He also dated Traci Lords.  Kinda similar to Nicole in looks.  I always thought Coulier was Canadian but seems he is from Michigan.  Perhaps that's where they met.

• Love 1

But anyway, there are still plenty of antiques out there, just not free ones. Or maybe people aren't as willing to give her stuff for her tv show? I don't know. No one donates to Property Brothers, or LIOLI, or any of the other bajillion shows. It's a tv show, not a charity.

I don't think the other shows ask for volunteer labor, either, but she does, and often.  She's not a nonprofit corporation doing a public works project; she is in this for the money, so it's really pretty crappy.

Thinking about counting the number of times she says "I" or "me."  I don't visit her on FB and I've never been on Twitter.  Maybe oughtta try out Twitter just to see how fast I get blocked?  Because Nicole's delusions of grandeur aside, it's not all about her.  It's just a TV show with people I've never met, just like every other TV show.  She's as real for me as the Jetsons.

Why would you buy a house in Detroit when you have to commute from Minneapolis?  Because there are no houses for sale in Minneapolis?  Or because HGTV is paying all your expenses while you clutch pearls about having to fly back and forth.  And continue to use your son as a prop.  And fake "oh, I don't trust the contractors I've paid thousands of dollars, so I have to sneak in here at night to fuck up my own project."

I only watch because I like the houses.  Not her.

• Love 4

I don't think the other shows ask for volunteer labor, either, but she does, and often.  She's not a nonprofit corporation doing a public works project; she is in this for the money, so it's really pretty crappy.

Thinking about counting the number of times she says "I" or "me."  I don't visit her on FB and I've never been on Twitter.  Maybe oughtta try out Twitter just to see how fast I get blocked?  Because Nicole's delusions of grandeur aside, it's not all about her.  It's just a TV show with people I've never met, just like every other TV show.  She's as real for me as the Jetsons.

Why would you buy a house in Detroit when you have to commute from Minneapolis?  Because there are no houses for sale in Minneapolis?  Or because HGTV is paying all your expenses while you clutch pearls about having to fly back and forth.  And continue to use your son as a prop.  And fake "oh, I don't trust the contractors I've paid thousands of dollars, so I have to sneak in here at night to fuck up my own project."

I only watch because I like the houses.  Not her.

This. When she said she had to do the powder room at night by herself because she couldn't trust her crew not to go in and mess it up, she looked like a control-freak, incompetent project manager. Really? And then she turns out that sloppy, dark brown mess. Ugh. Is it worth the trouble to see the house and mute her?

• Love 3

Not much to snark about in the basement episode.  Nicole did a pretty good job, except for -- as mentioned above -- the horrible staining job.

Loved the old bar, but nastily wished that the bar cross piece had fallen on her head instead of her father.

I go through a love/hate thing with Rehab Addict. Love the show, not a fan of Nicole after following her Facebook page for a while (the rants and vague statements are very off putting, I no longer follow her.) I really want to like her but she makes it so hard!

Love the Tudor she's doing in this season but the shortcuts she takes are awful. That powder room sink looked like she was applying white-out on those rust spots! She's a flipper, just paint the bathroom white to appeal to more buyers, although I'm sure the paid/volunteer actors going through the house toward the end of the season will say they love it. I'm not a fan of her kitchen redo's so hoping this time it won't look so thrown together and tacky.

• Love 3

I had taken RA off the DVR, but comments many of you made me add it back. The Tudor house is gorgeous and fun to see, exactly my type of house, I will just have to suffer Nicole's drama. That house is beautiful, but I'm confused by Nicole's color choices, the bathroom is dark, then the dining room is white. I thought the dining room looked like the walls were primed and ready for color, with the cream trim and white walls, it didn't look finished to me. The furniture looked very Pottery Barn/Restoration Hardware style, not her usual trash pick and thrift store furnishing. I wonder if she's planning on keeping this house for herself rather than flip it, she doesn't usually spend money on furniture, or anything really. This season is more like when she was doing Minnehaha, which was for herself, not for profit.

Then last night's episode made me really wonder if it's for herself when they installed the bar that she's been "hanging onto for the right house," or her house, or something like that. It was a gorgeous bar and looked great in the space, but as already mentioned, the staining, ugh! When she said the windows could be framed in poplar, I knew it was going to be another Nicole special stain job! I agree with the license plate decor, very TGIFridays tacky, and the picture of her grandparents was neat, but just too big, it was overwhelming. Did Nicole really comment that she had just discovered photo to canvas prints? I know this was probably filmed months ago, but photo canvases have been popular for a while, even Target does them!

It's interesting that there are so many big, formerly gorgeous, houses rotting in Detroit, such a shame.

• Love 1

I wonder if she's planning on keeping this house for herself rather than flip it, she doesn't usually spend money on furniture, or anything really.

I was wondering the same thing last week and there were several things in this episode made it sound even more possible. Maybe she's going to move their after Ethan graduates from high school.