Type keyword(s) to search

Rehab Addict - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So has this show been replaced on HGTV?  I've seen previews for new show about a lady who buys and renovates mansions.  They look INCREDIBLE.   Hmmm....and it's not Nicole. 

I almost never watch HGTV, so I'm not sure, but that previewed show may be Bargain Mansions which has been running on the DIY channel. We've discussed it over in the topic for house flipping shows. 

I like a lot of the programming on the DIY channel, can't stand most of what's on HGTV. Sadly, Joanna Gaines will be taking over the DIY channel and I assume they will bring their own insipid nonsense and chase out all the stuff I like. Sigh. That's also discussed on the House Flipping topic.

• Love 3

Detroit Auction House: Season 8, Episode 18

Haven't seen this show in ages. It's a Detroit Tudor house she won in auction.

The painters have this bemused look when she talks about painting the trim cream.

Funny moment is when Nicole says she's staining something "sloppily"... turns out that was in my head, I rewound it to get her exact words and I must have imagined it 😮

I've recently tuned into episodes of this show labeled as "new" on either DIY or HGTV, or maybe both. Those episodes are, as far as I can tell, just repackaged editions of projects that have already been shown on the show. 

I have a low tolerance for Nicole but I like watching houses being remodeled, so I watch this show but not 100% faithfully. Thus, I may have missed something. But, I think the most recent house she remodeled was that little cottage in the lakeside town that she decided to keep as a family vacation place. 

14 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I've recently tuned into episodes of this show labeled as "new" on either DIY or HGTV, or maybe both. Those episodes are, as far as I can tell, just repackaged editions of projects that have already been shown on the show. 

Yep, these episodes are why I've taken the show off my recording schedule, they just got too annoying.

• Love 1

So I caught a new show tonight, titled Rehab Addict Rescue; S1, E1. (HGTV, 9pm) I just caught the last 10 or so minutes, but it looks like a retread of Rehab Addict, with a new title and episodes.  Though my memory isn't what it used to be, this looked like a new project to me, and it was done for a family who apparently already owned the home.  I'm a bit surprised.  I thought Nicole Curtis might have been too crazy eccentric even for HGTV.  Guess not.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I saw at least part of this last week or maybe before that.    I really liked the family, and I'm glad they could get help fixing the issues, without ruining the vintage houses details.      I loved the bathroom the most.       The kitchen was lovely too.    

• Love 3

I was pleasantly surprised by this (I've seen a few episodes of Rebab Addict, but didn't love it). That house indeed was amazingly beautiful. But what I really liked about it was that it showed what can be done with a small budget: $40,000 is much, much less than most of these other shows ever work with, never mind for a house that huge! So the focus on a few major things (electricity, floors, working appliances) and then just painting and other more cosmetic fixes was really practical. Obviously it helps that the house was clearly well made and had been pretty well maintained, but it was nice to see a focus on making a house livable and beautiful on a minimal budget and a lot of elbow grease, and not worrying about high-end finishes and the latest design features.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Dawn said:

I was pleasantly surprised by this (I've seen a few episodes of Rebab Addict, but didn't love it). That house indeed was amazingly beautiful. But what I really liked about it was that it showed what can be done with a small budget: $40,000 is much, much less than most of these other shows ever work with, never mind for a house that huge! So the focus on a few major things (electricity, floors, working appliances) and then just painting and other more cosmetic fixes was really practical. Obviously it helps that the house was clearly well made and had been pretty well maintained, but it was nice to see a focus on making a house livable and beautiful on a minimal budget and a lot of elbow grease, and not worrying about high-end finishes and the latest design features.

I agree with all of that. I was braced not to like this show because for me a little of Nicole can go a long way. But she was really on her game here. She also spotlighted her crew who get the work done, including the skilled trades.

I really liked the redone kitchen. And they got an attractive workable kitchen makeover done - without knocking down a wall. That's pretty much heresy in all current remodeling/makeover shows! 🤣. The butler's pantry turned out to be so stunning after they realized all those cabinet doors had glass inserts.

That had to be such an encouraging experience for the homeowners. I was so happy for them. 

• Love 6

There are those that do and then there are those that do nothing but criticize and complain about what gets done...sadly, this forum is exhaustedly full of the latter.

• LOL 1

I mostly like Nicole, appreciate her work and that she works so much in the Detroit area. She's toned down in this either new or newly edited version, and that's all to the better. 

The $40,000 home was lovely and heartening that a smaller budget could yield big results with the right people in charge. I think it was in Indian Village, which is filled, or was, with great, stately, homes. Tonight's Highland Park Craftsman was stunning. Makes me happy to see that.

• Love 4

Yes, that Craftsman bungalow was FINE. 

I hope they've been able to produce several episodes of this series during the pandemic. I'm enjoying it more than I expected. We've seen some stressed-out homeowners asking for help in the opening credits so I hope that means we'll see them getting their homes rescued. 

• Love 4

Nicole lost me when she posted this on this thread November 23, 2014 (page 3)

I know most people in my situation would not ever want to go head to head with any of you, but if you have truly watched me since I have been on tv then you know I'm not " most people".  

I would like to first thank you for dedicating so much of your free time to discussing my show, my business even my personal life. It seems to me that you are more dedicated to this "job" than anyone I have ever worked with.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that this season is hodge podge:)  It is spanned over 2.5 years of my time and quite honestly, putting this together has been a logistical nightmare.  A few things that you failed to criticize us on that I would think would truly top your list:

1. my dog, Lucy, is clearly a lot younger in my house episode than a few episodes earlier when she appeared at Summit  2. When I started Summit, I had hair that was just past my shoulders and now...oh my gosh, in the same episode it's  inches longer. 3. In one episode, I switched my eyeglasses 3 -yes three different times!!!!!!

Enjoy our Sunday and please let me know if I can buy you breakfast I would love a conversation with someone who knows how to live a perfect life and has mastered the things I can't seem to even get together for a quick 22 min on tv.

How dare anyone criticize her?

• LOL 2

Is anyone watchin Rehab Addict Rescue, where Nicole helps homebuyers who are in over their heads with rehabbing old homes in the Detroit area?

I love seeing the homes, and the families I've seen so far (2 episodes) have been so nice. The homes require SO MUCH WORK, though. It has to be completely overwhelming.

I'm not an "old home" person myself, though. Even when the work has been done, I don't always like the way the walls and trim, etc. look. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Is anyone watchin Rehab Addict Rescue, where Nicole helps homebuyers who are in over their heads with rehabbing old homes in the Detroit area?

I love seeing the homes, and the families I've seen so far (2 episodes) have been so nice. The homes require SO MUCH WORK, though. It has to be completely overwhelming.

I'm not an "old home" person myself, though. Even when the work has been done, I don't always like the way the walls and trim, etc. look. 

Yep. We've had a bit of a discussion of it, upthread.  I've liked the homeowners so far.

I loved the new bathroom in the attic.   I did wonder about the AC issue, but I think that there were so many other features that they just didn't show what they were going to do about AC.    Especially with the skylights, I'm sure they addressed the AC issue somehow.    

I had a house with a big bathroom skylight, and the heat in there was an issue, and also the fading of towels, and bath rugs.    The bathroom also would get very hot from the sunlight pouring in.    So I think the skylights in that attic space will make the AC issues a prime priority.   

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I wish in the bathroom with the green tiles on the shower floor they'd used green grout for the subway tiles. It needed some more colour. 

Hmmm ... what an interesting suggestion. There was something "off" about the finished tile in that bathroom. I'm OK with the subway (classic) and I also loved the green, but together I didn't love it. (I usually see smaller tiles going on the shower floor.) I do like the idea of getting "clearance tiles" or buying stuff on the cheap that people didn't pick up or use.

Great couple. I've enjoyed all the families and couples on this show so far.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

2-18 episode: I did not like the paint choices in the house at all. Except for the yellow, way too dark.

Really? I loved the blues against that dark wood. The owner sounds like a good guy, I bet the street is happy to have him. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I loved that the wife’s dad made the kitchen cabinetry. That island was beautiful. I loved that they didn’t smash the existing cabinets but donated them to be reused. Same for the carpet.

I loved that too on all counts.  The couple seemed like nice people.  

On 2/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Me either.  I can appreciate them and I do enjoy the sentimentality of lives lived in them before, but I wouldn't particularly want to live in one.  The Tudor home was beautiful and it had great light.  But in the end, something was lacking.  Maybe a coziness?  It seemed too bland, too barren?    

Nicole hasn't been on my screen in a while.  I had forgotten how badly she suffers from a syndrome my friends and I have dubbed "so lil', so cute".  In fact, she may be an originator of the afflication.  The desperate need for a petite woman to show off at any given moment how "so lil' and so cute" she is.  Exhausting.  It doesn't seem to bother men though - ha!

My husband commented while watching that he thought she was good looking.  I informed him how bat shit crazy she is with the men in her life.  

Enjoyed going down memory lane rereading some of the funny comments on this thread in the past!

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

It’s funny how so many of HGTV’s female hosts are petite: Nicole, Alison Victoria, Leanne Ford, Mina and Karen...

Not funny, more like required. Most TV execs don't think viewers would watch ugly/normal looking women. When it comes to men however....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

She didn't save the Tudor (I initially typed Turdor) or rescue a botched reno - she renovated the kitchen.

I so admire Nicole's drive and restoration mission, but her personality grates. It's not that she's a strong directive woman. It's that she borders on mean. I hate when she snidely takes pot shots at someone else's decorating choices - the peach paint, for example. It's rude.

What do the poor neighbors think when she and her crew are making a racket at 1am while the neighbors are trying to sleep? In my neighborhood the police shut that kind of noisy nonsense down.

I'm still waiting for Nicole, or another reno show, to deal with asbestos, tube and knob, AC, etc.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I'm still waiting for Nicole, or another reno show, to deal with asbestos, tube and knob, AC, etc.

Try to find reruns of Mike Holmes shows. He often runs into those problems and other issues in the homes he renovates.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Not funny, more like required. Most TV execs don't think viewers would watch ugly/normal looking women. When it comes to men however....

My point was that they are all short. That’s what I was wondering about.

I would never touch a house with any knob and tube, or aluminum wiring in any part of it.  

I've heard of people disconnecting the knob and tube systems but leaving it in the walls rather than spend the labor to strip it out. I don't know if that's safe though.

Unfortunately, I've also heard of people claiming the knob and tube isn't connected, but still is.   Also, on Scott McGillivray's Income Property show, there were several cases where the sellers claimed they rewired the house, but what they actually did, is pull the wires down, tie in new copper/grounded wires, put in a new outlet box, and shove the knob and tube back in the wall.   Until Scott took the drywall down, it looked like the wiring had been redone to code, but it was actually old knob and tube.   

• Love 4

IMO, that “mural” in the powder room was awful. Why go for period detail then have someone paint a totally non-period feature on the wall? Otherwise, I like what was done. The homeowners were such a great couple.

• Love 3

My first exposure to this designer was this week looking for daytime filled on Discovery Plus. I thought that she'd be hard to take in large doses with the "Aren't I little and cute?" shtick but that Instagram thread...that's sort of a deal breaker. Not even as much the original content, but the wading into the comments to double down on being unwilling to listen. I just don't get why someone comingles business and personal accounts in that way.

• Love 3
On 3/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, AncientNewbie said:

I just don't get why someone comingles business and personal accounts in that way.

Apparently she can't stop herself.  People magazine has an article about a dispute she's in with the city of Detroit over a house she thought she had bought several years ago and apparently has been renovating, but the person she paid didn't actually own the property.  I had some sympathy for her until her public statement that she wanted to get the situation resolved because her child wants to save the little red house.  BARF.

• Love 4
On 3/19/2021 at 12:31 AM, LittleIggy said:

I really liked the lovely soft shades of blue they picked for Grandma’s suite.

Yes. Very fresh. 

I realize that the young couple probably wanted the 3rd floor suite, but wasn't a simpler solution just to switch bedrooms and bathrooms so that Grandma could have the walk-in shower? 🤔

I liked what the homeowner did to the exterior of the home. I'm assuming he gave it a refresh.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/9/2021 at 10:51 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I like this new show better than the original one; Nicole seems nicer and actually works within the small budgets, showing how to fix or jerry-rig well-made old stuff rather than replacing it with overpriced cheaply made new stuff like 99% of the other shows.  I just wish she'd stop screeching BOBBY! BOBBY!! BOBBY!!! to get his attention when he is elsewhere in the house. With all the construction noises he cannot hear you - go find him or have one of the others go find him! 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 7

Does anyone know when Rehab Addict Lake House Rescue is supposed to air?  It was originally scheduled for 7/13 but it wasn't on.  I then saw a date of 7/20 but it's not scheduled on that day either.  My DVR schedule goes out two weeks and it's not listed at all.

Google says it already aired on 5/18 but I don't think that is right.