Type keyword(s) to search

Rehab Addict - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I've been watching on Thursdays and then recently on Wednesdays.  Whatever!  I like the show because she's mostly renovating/rehabbing very old houses and it's nice to see old woodwork, unique built-in cabinetry, etc., restored/saved.  Have to admit I'm not a fan of those teeny tiny white/black tiles in old bathrooms.  Thank goodness we didn't have them in our old Victorian growing up.  Something about their teeniness irritates me.  I agree with the folks who thought she should've gotten rid of that half-destroyed mantel.  Why would you want a reminder of the house's near destruction once you've got everything cleaned up and prettified?

Looking forward to her new show when she rehabs the home she grew up in.  Should be interesting.

• Love 1

No comments yet on the new season?

I have more questions than answers.  What was the whole deal at the beginning with the signing of the papers?  It wasn't hard but it wasn't easy.  WTF was she talking about?  How much did she spend on the house?  What does she plan to do with it when it's done?  Move her grandparents in, or sell it, or what?  What's the point of going down nostalgia lane if she's going to sell it?  And the remodel already looks very, very costly.  I don't want to see a show about expensive rehabs; I want to see how it's done on a shoestring.  She had them take down the siding but I didn't understand what she had put in its place.  Restoring a house to that time period is just fugly.  I don't care that it's now called mid-century modern.  I lived through that era and it was fugly then and it's fugly now.  Nobody had Formica because they liked it or because it made a design statement.  It was available and it was cheap.  Take the marble, please.  And then a modern stainless refrigerator.  It's not that I didn't like the final result in the kitchen, because I did, but what is she actually trying to do here?  Isn't this the woman who will only allow period-specific elements in her rehabs? 

• Love 4

I still like the show even though she's now rehabbing a mid 50's house (her grandparents' home).  Thank goodness she didn't put red formica in and got something more modern--marble or granite??  I would have "modernized" the cabinets to a 50's contemporary style--not the old fashioned knotty pine that her g'parents used back then. But she's too much into the nostalgia to be completely objective--which I completely understand!  If she's going to sell the house, maybe somebody will appreciate the old touches (the green wall phone--my MIL has one in her house in MI--it's a hoot having to dial--brings me back to my childhood).

I would have "modernized" the cabinets to a 50's contemporary style--not the old fashioned knotty pine that her g'parents used back then.

Except they WEREN'T knotty pine, at least from what I saw in her childhood pictures. They were just regular pine cabinets like everyone else was putting in in the 60s.

AND she didn't even try to match the hardware. The pictures showed nickel fixtures with slanted pulls, and she put in Early American faux wrought iron fixtures.

• Love 1

So... the pool. Is Nicole trying to stay period, as usual, or doing whatever she wants? I was disappointed in her choice of marble instead of formica in the kitchen, but if Grams likes it, it's OK. (Nobody, but nobody had marble countertops in the 50's, except maybe the Queen.) She kept the pool pretty authentic by repainting the same colors and using the existing tile. And aqua is very appropriate! I remember those old pool drains that sucked up unaware children. We were warned once and that did it - kept us terrified of going near the drain. The thing is, cement blocks are ugly. Yes, they're affordable, durable and mostly maintenance-free, but they're UG-LEE. So you have a pool house that's rehabbed to (better than) its original condition - it still looked like a plain, uncomfortable, 1950's pool house. Note: I totally love my house, which was built in 1958, formica countertops and all. 

Edited by CN42
  • Love 2

Finally watching - she's going on about making everything authentic and...what? Is she basically trying to make herself a liar?

I'm laughing at her thinking cooking and eating every meal at home is a radical concept. Of course, we know *she* doesn't cook!

The marble is just wrong. How do you go from red formica to marble? Surely there are some intermediary steps? I'll admit, I'm a bit of a mid-century modern freak, but one google search will bring you to these:

http://retrorenovation.com/2013/01/24/24-colors-of-boomerang-laminate-for-kitchen-counter-tops-formica-boomerang-but-much-much-more/

http://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/virtual-design-library/retro

Those cabinets are just wrong wrong wrong. 

Wait, stainless fridge, dishwasher, stove? God, this is a mish-mash. 

NICOLE - we know you read here. Here's a resource! http://retrorenovation.com/category/kitchen/ 

They have bathroom, too. 

"And now, even though it's a brand new kitchen, it looks just like the original." 

Nope. 

• Love 2

I just watched these last night. The reason she went with marble instead of the Formica is that she had to special order it and it wouldn't arrive in time to be installed before her grandparents left for Florida. The marble was in stock and her grandma liked it, so she just went with it. (My friend is having the same issue with laminate. Who knew it took so long?)

I thought it was interesting that she recreated those cabinets. That's pretty darn expensive, even if they're just pine. I have the original mahogany ones in my 1953 house. It would cost a king's ransom to recreate them and expand the kitchen. I was also surprised she didn't try to use restored or reproduction appliances.

I actually liked the kitchen, but I'm a sucker for MCM.

(P.S. Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Ancient member of TWOP from back in the dark ages of the Internet.)

• Love 4

Welcome, Sbeetle!  I loathe indoor pools, always have and always will.  But she did a good job on the pool.  Wish she'd just torn down the walls and made it an outdoor pool.  Gosh, I never heard that about the drains when I was a kid.  No one ever warned us.  I'm sure I stepped on drains and wasn't stuck to them.  Is she planning to sell this house?

I do like Nicole. She's really bitchy, capable, and can probably kick my ass. I think she's more lenient in period details in a fifties house, since some of them did have butt ugly design, unlike homes from earlier times.

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with her not trying to replicate a 50's era house, because designwise they were no great shakes, IMO.  But I think she is trying to achieve a certain look-and-feel of that era.  That's why the marble countertops were so jarring to me.  They didn't seem to go with the cabinets.

The reason for not going with red formica (which would have been awesome, IMO) was a little spurious to me.  Grandma's never coming back to Detroit, ever?  Can't take pictures or use Skype?  That made me think Nicole wanted marble all along.  Maybe Grandma always hated those red counters, hee.

I don't mind Nicole getting hands-on with the workmen.  She's playing the part of Every Viewer, and she does give credit where it's due to the workmen.

I really like this show.  It's a nice change from the quick-fix-turn-around in 5 days flippers that trash everything.  She might save herself some negative comments with more information.  Regarding the Tudor guest bathroom sink (just watched it twice in the recent marathons), a simple "The first thing to try is to remove as much rust as you can, then apply ceramic patch.  If it looks ok, you're done.  If it's unacceptable to you, a professional can resurface it for $X" would have been fine. And maybe SHOW the viewers what it looked like with just the patch, because she conspicuously did not do that.

Edited by backgroundnoise

The marble vs. Formica argument could go on forever. The problem I have with it, besides it not being appropriate for a modest MCM house, is that the decision was apparently made based on Nicole's timeline. I tend to think more long-term - I can wait 2 months for the order if it will create a kitchen I want to live with for the next 10-20 years. But I don't have a grandmother to please or a network telling me to get it done NOW. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure marble costs more than Formica, so that also goes against Nicole's previous habits. And... grandma's not even going to live there, right?

Thanks for the links, TXVOODOO. I used Wilson Art formica when I redid my counters in 1994. It's held up real well and still looks great. If I had a small space I'd love to use the boomerang pattern, but it's a little overwhelming otherwise - especially in pink!

• Love 1

Thanks, CN42. I agree, it was an odd choice and I don't know what she based it on. The marble contributed to the odd mixture of styles.

So, I'm confused - this ISN'T for her grandparents to use? Who's it for? And if it isn't, then shouldn't she have picked one style and stuck to it? Right now she's got mid-century rustic (the knotty pine), marble, and stainless. It's just ODD. 

• Love 1

Oh no...I sure didn't like the family room (but then I loathe knotty pine and paneling of any kind except white) and the dreary old panels of rural scenes.  It didn't go with the mod bathroom at all.  I can remember houses (and our family summer cottage) with rooms like that and I just didn't like being in them...they were depressing to me.  I can understand why she didn't cover up her grandpa's writing on the wall (I'd want to hold onto that too!!) but if other people are going to be using the house or buying it, they might not care for it.  I like this show but I'm not caring for this house renovation so far.  Maybe 50's style isn't as interesting as 20's (that Tudor is still my favorite rehab).

• Love 2

I liked the new bathroom in the family room, but didn't care for the duck panelling at all.  Marble countertops in a house with painted floors, tacky duck panelling and knotty pine?  The house is going to have an identity crisis.

• Love 5

Caught a couple episodes on DIY.  Not buying the countertop dilemma. Home Depot sells Wilsonart laminate and red is easily available.  Linoleum would be the period floor choice but she does wood in the kitchen.  In the bathroom black and blue is period but not the taupe grey tiles that she used throughout most of it.  garage doors certainly would not be period for the pool house. Since her grandparents aren't going to be living in it, and she doesn't do mid-century, why all the pretense?  Why not just call it a remodel?

I'm not a fan of the duck paneling but in small doses, it's probably funny and quaintly nostalgic.  Is this place located in a touristy area?  How likely is it to be rented often on AirBNB?  Near a college?

She mentioned having lots of cousins.  Wonder if they'll show up for the grand reveal.

• Love 3

Since her grandparents aren't going to be living in it, and she doesn't do mid-century, why all the pretense?  Why not just call it a remodel?

I know, she keeps saying she's restoring it, but it's clearly a remodel, & IMO, not a very successful one. She needs to do one or the other, but combining the two isn't working.

• Love 3

I've seen the bathroom & family room/bathroom episodes now.

Bathroom "Very few people would have the vision to see past all the blue...." and..what - kept all the blue! I'll be honest - I don't mind the blue. I don't mind actual mid-century bathrooms. But this ISN'T one. It has pieces of one, but then modern trefoil towels & bath curtains, marble counter, whatever-the-hell those sink faucets are, etc. 

"I know from being elbow to elbow with cousins, just to brush these big old teeth that I have, two sinks is (sic) essential." Where to start? You don't need a more sinks for bigger teeth. Those 2 sinks are less useful than one bigger one. They don't fit at ALL.

Also, this bathroom wasn't 40s or 50s. I suspect her family redid it in the late 60s or 70s. It looks remarkably similar to the one in our 1969-built suburban house, including the colors. 

Family room + bathroom. Yeah, that bathroom is just gigantic and wrong for there. What was needed was a powder room. It didn't need a giant shower and REALLY didn't need a (literal) kitchen sink. Nor did it need to have 5 different colors. And unless her family will be living in it later, the wall with her grandfather's writing is self-indulgent BS. Who else would want it?

The room I like most so far is the family room. It actually fits mid-century. It looks like something that could be in Leave it to Beaver. If she'd really wanted to go whole hog with it, the floor should've had sparkles in the epoxy, or better yet, an actual Marmoleum (brand of linoleum) floor.  It's durable, soft under foot, ecologically sustainable, and comes in so many colors. It would've looked perfect:

72389c6b20468a3901c2893c026551e2.jpg

• Love 2

That bathroom is a complete mish-mosh.  If she'd seen that bathroom in any other house, she'd have torn it out in a nanosecond.  Thinking about the rooms she's already done, there's absolutely no cohesion among the rooms.

What is her plan for this house?  I don't know if I've just missed it or she hasn't said.  Why is she making shower curtains?  Nobody buys a house with the shower curtains.  Grey, BTW, is NOT "a little bit of color."  It just isn't.  But then this is a woman who thinks white subway tile, house after house, is the height of style.

• Love 4

I don't even know why tonight's episode is an episode. Did we really need Rehab Addict to show us how to do an absolutely minimal facelift on a mediocre 50 year old apartment? It had no discernable style, none of it was "mid century" in any way, and they replaced crap products with crap products. Take out vinyl, (which was not linoleum - it was 70s eras vinyl) and put in..vinyl! Leave the 70s/80s-ish laminate counter. WALLPAPER backsplash? Why? 

It was such a boring episode. She's gone so far from her original premise that it's ridiculous. I've seen a bunch of Renovation Realities that did a better job. 

• Love 3

I think she's renovating this house for her grandparents & other relatives to live in. That's why she's handling it so differently from her other projects, it's not a house she's selling.

This season is turning into a bit of a dud.  There wasn't anything in last night's episode that was very interesting to me.  The redone kitchen in the apartment looked drab and colorless;  it looked like a "before" picture for a redo.

The decision to include a segment on the house Nicole's grandmother grew up in was a poor one, IMO.  I think she's overestimating viewers' interest in her extended family.  I would much rather have seen HOW to install linoleum or wallpaper.

Redoing a mid-century modern house could be interesting.  Somehow, Nicole is making it pretty boring.

• Love 5

I hope she is redoing this house for a family member, because anyone else would rip out that hideodorous blue tub in a heartbeat.Also, was that vinyl on the floor of the bathroom? I have never seen her leave vinyl flooring in a house, it's like she's not even passionate about the "rehab". She mentioned on FB that she is filming what may be her last season, Maybe the show has been cancelled?

• Love 1
(edited)

She has to do "projects" like this because she doesn't have a thriving business. She didn't have one when she started and after, what, 6 years of being on air she still doesn't.  She has to do episodes like the bizarre "shack" and now her grandparent's house because she doesn't have anything else going on and the very few she's done struggle on the market.  She tried to make the Detroit episodes work but they didn't and the houses themselves are terrible investments. It doesn't surprise me if this is the last season; now it makes even more sense that her show got demoted from HGTV to DIY. 

Her show has really been a fraud since the beginning and it has more than run its course. She apparently has a book coming out that was supposed to be about her "work," but is now a "memoir." She claims that she didn't want to do just another design book (because according to her that would be too easy) but the reality is she doesn't do much work and doesn't have any real skill so what would she fill a book with? She can't do a design book since she's not a designer and has no real talent or skill to fill a book with. She can't fill the book with details of her work because there isn't much and she can't fill it with DIY tips because she doesn't really know much. It's the same concept as her show-it became more and more obvious as it went on that aside from cleaning with vinegar (which she acts like she invented...) she has no skill.  Even though her sycophants seem to think she works so hard if you actually pay attention she doesn't. She starts a project for the cameras and someone else comes in and does the real work. 

Hopefully HGTV/DIY have finally gotten a clue and this is the last season. 

Edited by ohsrysly
  • Love 5

I kept wanting to call her and offer to send a few area rugs for those rooms with hardwood floors.  They looked so cold and forbidding.  Plus, when the family shows up and has a reunion it's gonna be one noisy gathering due to accoustics.  I liked the fireplace.  It needs a screen in front of it, doesn't it (in case a log explodes and scatters sparks)?  I like the show, though.  I like seeing crummy old rooms cleaned & spruced up.

• Love 2

So she gives us a whole story about how all the holidays & her birthdays were in the dining room & that she doesn't remember ever not seeing linoleum in there, but then she rips it all up because she wants the hardwood floor. Which isn't how it was. It's not that I don't agree that the hardwood floor is much better than the linoleum floor, but it's not a restoration if it always had linoleum.

edited because is & isn't are not the same thing.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

It's almost like she's trying to accomplish three conflicting things:

1.  Restore to original, like the bathroom tile, kitchen cupboards and dining room floor.

2.  Pay homage to the 1970's redecoration, like the duck paneling (that wasn't original was it?).

3.  Update to modern design sensibilities, like the marble countertops and pool house doors.

The end result seems a bit of a mish-mash.  It's not horrible, but it's not anything to write home about either, nor particularly interesting to me as a viewer. YMMV.

• Love 3

I believe the duck paneling was created by an uncle so that's why she kept it.  With this being her grandparents' house, filled with so many memories, I think she's having a hard time renovating/restoring.  On a side note, I found that comment (about calling her grandpa to update him on things she's doing in the house and he responds by asking her if she found someone to marry) so typical of a loving and concerned grandpa--and so funny too.

I used to love her show , I would DVR the episodes and watch them multiple times, but then it started being more about her, and she became really annoying to me, then that whole pregnancy BS, granted, I probably don't know the whole story, but I can hardly stand to watch the show anymore. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has become disenchanted.She seems to be on a huge ego trip, like she's a huge celebrity or something.

• Love 7

It's interesting - about a year or so ago, maybe more? She was talking about how she was going to have a line of products, starting with her shower curtains with the "C". Which, that works if your name is Curtis, but not too much if you're anyone else?

And a book about design. Now it's gonna be a memoir. And her show has been shunted off HGTV to DIY. 

When you compare it, to, say, Fixer Upper, it's pretty remarkable. The Gaines have expanded their retail, and now have their own lines of furniture and soft fixings coming out. Maybe the ever present shiplap is a bit much, but they're industrious and go-getters and successful, whereas Nicole still never seems to actually make money from her projects. 

• Love 2

Ugh. For someone who claimed to be so into preservation, she has no problem ripping out period elements in mid-century. All those windows changed in the bedrooms? SO wrong. There were reasons they kept them up high - so you could dress or be in your nighty and not worry about prying eyes. They were also very convenient in smaller bedrooms, because you could easily put a bed or dresser with a mirror underneath them and not block the windows.

Additionally, they gave the outside of the house a certain mid-century look which is destroyed by installing "normal" windows.

Ugh. 

• Love 5

Another episode with about 5 minutes of rehab.  Maybe she should change the name of the show to Memories of My Family Addict. 

I'm sorry, but this season is just boring.  I'm sure her grandparents are nice people and I'm glad for her sake she has so many family pictures, but I don't need to see all of them.  Nor do I care much about trees that aren't there anymore.

Since the house is supposed to be the focus, did she even ask her grandfather why he made the weird Jack-and-Jill closet?

Are high windows mid-century?  I grew up in a house built in 1961 and no one I knew had those high windows.  That looks more like early 1970's than 1950's to me.

• Love 4

Are high windows mid-century?  I grew up in a house built in 1961 and no one I knew had those high windows.  That looks more like early 1970's than 1950's to me.

I grew up in a house built in 1959. The bedroom at the front of the house, facing the street, had a long, high window like on the show. I agree the idea behind it was for privacy and a flexible floor plan. So to answer your question, yes, I believe those windows were fairly common on some ranches in the 50's. I think Nicole got her frugal gene from her grandparents. If her grandfather built the house himself from scratch he might have just used whatever he ran across (like Nicole does) and that was the only reason there was one long, different window. And a Jack 'n Jill closet. < shrugs >

eta: I had to laugh when Nicole was installing hardware on the new, custom, solid wood door and botched it. Wasn't she the one who claimed she could do anything from framing a house to plumbing it? See above posts re: Nicole isn't as accomplished as she'd like people to think. 

Edited by CN42
  • Love 2

I tried tonight, but I couldn't. It was so boring that I only actively watched the last 3 minutes. The title of this thread no longer applies to me.

There were floors. And windows. And staging and a really ugly shelving unit. None of it was from the same era.

I love mid-century and she's making me hate it. I'm SAD.

• Love 2

This house/season are all over the place. I don't like the house, the staging is awful (and too personal), and there's too much non-construction filler. I guess I was looking forward to a cool, updated mid-century look, which this is definitely not. It's like she's going for the worst looks of the '50s. If this project had been her first on HGTV I doubt she'd have gotten a second season. Nicole is better at rehabbing turn-of-the-century houses and should stick to that. I do give her credit for not involving the new baby - or Ethan - this season.

Nicole was in Austin yesterday at the historic Paramount Theater. Tickets were $35-$100. For $100 you got a meet 'n greet. The website never said exactly what the purpose of the event was. I guess she just did Q&A. Haven't seen anything about the size of the turnout. 

• Love 1

I do give her credit for not involving the new baby - or Ethan - this season.

I just realized this last night, we haven't seen Ethan at all. I wonder if it's her choice or his choice?

I wouldn't give her any credit on either the baby or Ethan.  I'm guessing the baby has quite a bit to do with the dad not wanting him to be on t.v. and/or the legal proceedings. Ethan's cross-country with his dad who had temp. custody.  I'm pretty sure he's 18 now so he can go where he wants and it looks like he's choosing to be with his dad.  Good for him I wouldn't want to be in that toxic environment either. 

https://courtexplorer.g2gcloud.com/oaklandcounty/SearchCases/ViewAction?CaseNo=gxnpaofB8IeSsq8tYkS2CA%3D%3D

https://courtexplorer.g2gcloud.com/oaklandcounty/SearchCases/ViewAction?CaseNo=QRUuyf4pyTm47sFekVKVtg%3D%3D

• Love 3

I wouldn't give her any credit on either the baby or Ethan.  I'm guessing the baby has quite a bit to do with the dad not wanting him to be on t.v. and/or the legal proceedings. Ethan's cross-country with his dad who had temp. custody.  I'm pretty sure he's 18 now so he can go where he wants and it looks like he's choosing to be with his dad.  Good for him I wouldn't want to be in that toxic environment either. 

https://courtexplorer.g2gcloud.com/oaklandcounty/SearchCases/ViewAction?CaseNo=gxnpaofB8IeSsq8tYkS2CA%3D%3D

https://courtexplorer.g2gcloud.com/oaklandcounty/SearchCases/ViewAction?CaseNo=QRUuyf4pyTm47sFekVKVtg%3D%3D

See? This. We shouldn't know this much about a TV host's personal life. 

• Love 2

The links aren't working now, but I'm glad Ethan's not on the show. He's at that age where he should be allowed his own life. 

Nicole obviously adores her grandfather, as well she should.  But he's not exactly TV-friendly.  He just comes across as grumpy and humorless.  Which makes her saving his writing scrawled on the wall in the new bathroom come across as even more moronic.  Unless she plans on keeping this in her family, the next owners aren't going to want to see the carefully preserved pool instructions!  And as a viewer, I can't gin up any comparable feelings of warmth towards the man who wrote them, so just paint them over already!  

I'm feeling very irritated by this season.  I liked the pool episode.  (Although, if she grew up with an indoor pool at her disposal, why didn't she ever learn to swim?)  Putting in the garage doors to open up the space in good weather was a good idea.  The rest of the renovation is just, blech.  I absolutely hated the duck paneling.  To me, that's the absolute worst of the 1970's.  And she keeps mentioning that the house was owned by 'others' for the past 10 years and then seems to blame them for every bad thing she finds.  The season is basically Nicole's home movies and why would I want to watch that?

It seems to me that if she really embraced the concept of rebuilding Detroit, one neighborhood at a time, this could be a compelling show.   Crusading to save a crumbling neighborhood would come across as more entertaining than crusading to rebuild her own family's odd ranch house.

• Love 2

Really, this season is just incredibly self-indulgent, and an excuse for her to get paid for re-doing this very very average suburban family home. It has very little worth preserving or restoring, it's not a special example of mid-century architecture.

Somehow she managed to get DIY to pay her for this. Good for her, I guess?

• Love 5