Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Deep Dark Secrets

I'm really surprised Diagnosis: Murder is not on somewhere now. It's in that select group of hourlong shows that appeal to an older audience that wants something familiar and comforting, that reliably restores order by the end of the hour. (I'm not knocking it; I enjoy some of these too.) Even if that's not the prime demographic that advertisers seek, it's still a substantial, dependable one that spends a fair amount of time with the TV.

Other examples of the genre are Matlock, Murder She Wrote, maybe Monk. I would have thought Early Edition too, but it seems to have been forgotten; maybe it didn't run long enough.

It is, actually. Just not for the holidays since Hallmark runs its Christmas movies. But Diagnosis Murder is on weekdays on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel when not in holiday movie mode. I believe it returns in January.

It is, actually. Just not for the holidays since Hallmark runs its Christmas movies. But Diagnosis Murder is on weekdays on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel when not in holiday movie mode. I believe it returns in January.

I'll still have to wait until they switch over to one of the channels I do have in my Sat package. 

Laws of Attraction suffers from two things, First and foremost, an unfunny reoccurring joke about the weather channel. Falls flat every time. And secondly, some bad editing that made me even the second time I saw it scratch my head about what was going on when they are lost in the countryside.

Still, you are right, PB looks very yummy. Kind of scruffy professor.

OH, this was...not good. Not even Pierce's scrumptiousness saves it.  Julianne Moore's Audrey is the worst kind of stereotype of a heroine that I detest. It doesn't help that since I just recently rewatched this series, and how Laura came to my mind while watching this movie--how she would have been. Not fair, I know, but there it is.

The only thing I really liked were the Ireland scenes. That is, I think that castle was Drumoland, assuming that they actually were in County Clare, like they said they were; and that's the closest castle in that county. And I know this because when I went to Ireland, I went to County Clare and visited Drumoland, because it was beyond my budget to stay there.

But I don't see myself ever watching this movie again.

I just wanted to give you all a heads up about the movies that TCM is airing these next two weeks.

Some of course, are Cary Grant movies, a few that this show referenced as well as the entire series of The Thin Man movies.

Tuesday, December 22:

Strangers on a Train at 11:45 am

North by Northwest at 5:30pm

My Favorite Wife at 10:00 p.m.

Sunday, December 27:

An Affair to Remember at 8:00 p.m.

Thursday, December 31 and Friday, January 1, are The Thin Man movies.

Just in case any of you are interested.  Afer catching To Catch a Thief on Demand yesterday, and watching my dvd of Notorious, not surprising that I'm now on a Cary Grant binge; unfortunately, I can only look to see which of his movies TCM is airing.  I hope to get the ones I really like on DVD eventually. I'm hoping that they'll air Gaslight again. It's been a year since they last did.

And as an aside, I can't believe that To Catch a Thief ranks higher than Notorious in terms of which is the better movie, with the former at No. 5 and the latter at No. 86!

And as an aside, I can't believe that To Catch a Thief ranks higher than Notorious in terms of which is the better movie, with the former at No. 5 and the latter at No. 86!

I think there exists a certain stigma with many black and white movies.  Notorious really is a much better movie, the pace, the romance, the intrigue but To Catch A Thief is in glorious color!  So what if the storyline drags and I doze off during the long, dull trips over the roof, look at the pretty scenery! 

Well, that and it had Grace Kelly. 

• Love 1

I think there exists a certain stigma with many black and white movies. Notorious really is a much better movie, the pace, the romance, the intrigue but To Catch A Thief is in glorious color! So what if the storyline drags and I doze off during the long, dull trips over the roof, look at the pretty scenery!

Well, that and it had Grace Kelly.

Ha! I dozed off too! And I don't know why I thought Grace Kelly was the copycat-probably because of her aloofness? But Danielle? I didn't like her at all!

And yes, Notorious is the better movie! I dreamt about it last night after watching it-except in my dream, Dev saving Alicia was stretched out to them leaving and her getting well instead of it ending with the doors ominously closing in the actual movie.

I just love the digs that Alicia makes at Dev, about how Rio is a dull town and returning the scarf Dev gave her in Miami during their last meeting. And still he didn't say that he was leaving for Spain. My heart broke as she walked away from him, the big jerk.

• Love 1

OH, this was...not good. Not even Pierce's scrumptiousness saves it.  Julianne Moore's Audrey is the worst kind of stereotype of a heroine that I detest. It doesn't help that since I just recently rewatched this series, and how Laura came to my mind while watching this movie--how she would have been. Not fair, I know, but there it is.

The only thing I really liked were the Ireland scenes. That is, I think that castle was Drumoland, assuming that they actually were in County Clare, like they said they were; and that's the closest castle in that county. And I know this because when I went to Ireland, I went to County Clare and visited Drumoland, because it was beyond my budget to stay there.

But I don't see myself ever watching this movie again.

I've seen it twice, once in the theater and once as a rental.  It wasn't as bad the second time since I knew it was going to be cringe worthy most of the time so that kind of lessened the issues. 

I don't think wondering about how Laure would have been as the character is just because of having recently watched RS. I had the same reaction each time I saw it.  Just sending him to Ireland flashed me back to the show and I started fantasizing how much better it would have been as a Remington Steel episode.  That may have been why I enjoyed it more the second time around, lol. 

• Love 1

I've seen it twice, once in the theater and once as a rental.  It wasn't as bad the second time since I knew it was going to be cringe worthy most of the time so that kind of lessened the issues. 

I don't think wondering about how Laure would have been as the character is just because of having recently watched RS. I had the same reaction each time I saw it.  Just sending him to Ireland flashed me back to the show and I started fantasizing how much better it would have been as a Remington Steel episode.  That may have been why I enjoyed it more the second time around, lol. 

Nope. I can't do it. Like I said, Moore's character is the kind I detest and not even the gorgeousness of Ireland and Pierce are enough for me to keep this or watch it again.

Oh, I did find another movie on Demand (I'm soo bored and have been going through all the free movies) of Pierce. Called The Love Punch and it costars Emma Thompson. They are a divorced couple and the pension from Pierce's company has been stolen, for the lack of a better word, and so he and Emma, along with their close friends, another couple, and the hacking of their son, go to France to steal this mega diamond which will more than make up for the money stolen.  It's funny, and Pierce and Emma are just so good together. Makes me wonder why they didn't do more movies together when they were younger.

Just like Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman only did two movies together, years apart, when they had such great chemistry.

Maybe it's because I grew up also watching Bollywood movies--not the ones from the past 15 years, but the older ones, but a lot of the actors and actresses that had great chemistry did a lot of movies together. And something that contradicts Hollywood--there are several actors who are married to each other, who have great on screen chemistry. I've read here, that a lot of actors who are involved, end up not having chemistry on screen and should never do a movie/show together. I shrug and look at Bollywood and see that it doesn't have the same "problem."

But this movie is free on Demand, if you have a package that includes Encore. Came out two years ago.

Posting this here, because the original movie was referenced at least two times that I can recall, and I watched all six over the new year holiday.

I watched all six of The Thin Man movies, and the first one was totally stolen in "Tempered Steele." Specifically, the outing of the killer at the dinner party. I won't lie, I totally heard Pierce when William/Nick whispered to Nora that he wasn't sure if his accusations were working, but he hoped it would.

I've always loved Myrna Loy, but she was just so adorable and charming in these movies. I really loved the way she crinkled her nose and smiled when she "caught" Nick in what could be a compromising position. I wonder if that was just her or if it was in the script.

The last two were more of a serious bent and lacked the humor of the first four, so I wasn't as engaged. But I was shocked, pleasantly so, to learn that Dean Stockwell of Quantum Leap fame, was a child actor and played their son, Nicky, Jr. in the last movie!

William Randolph and Myrna Loy were such a joy to watch.  I wonder if Nick's acting like he was drunk (because he so loved to drink) was an act. I loved his endearments for Nora, and especially "Mommy" after they had the baby.

So I am struggling not to pull out "Tempered Steele" to watch those final scenes!

• Love 1

Oh, "Mommy" is one of the few things about the films I don't like.  Well, that and the fact Nicky Jr. exists to begin with.  (The actors hated that Nick and Nora had a kid, and the writers put the pregnancy in as the end of the second film assuming that would guarantee there wouldn't be a third.)

I love Tempered Steele's twist on the "gather up all the suspects and figure it out" scene that was a staple of the Thin Man films -- here, Mr. Steele keeps blaming the wrong people (instead of Nora suspecting the wrong person) and Laura swoops in to figure it out (instead of Nick being the one to do so).

I always have a Thin Man marathon for New Year's Eve, so it was fun that TCM finally did it again so I could watch along with Robert Osborne rather than pulling out my DVDs.  Only the first three are truly great, and the last two are hard pressed to even be called good, but they're all highly watchable.  Because, hello, Myrna Loy and Bill Powell together.  I watch twelve of their thirteen films with some frequency (The Great Ziegfeld is the one I don't re-watch nearly as often).  I have all 13 on DVD, and have a so-so copy of her cameo in The Senator Was Indiscreet saved to a disc; I want TCM to air that so I can see the whole film.

Oh, "Mommy" is one of the few things about the films I don't like.  Well, that and the fact Nicky Jr. exists to begin with.  (The actors hated that Nick and Nora had a kid, and the writers put the pregnancy in as the end of the second film assuming that would guarantee there wouldn't be a third.)

I love Tempered Steele's twist on the "gather up all the suspects and figure it out" scene that was a staple of the Thin Man films -- here, Mr. Steele keeps blaming the wrong people (instead of Nora suspecting the wrong person) and Laura swoops in to figure it out (instead of Nick being the one to do so).

I can understand that, but I think I liked it because of the way Randolph said it? But yes, I didn't think they needed a baby, and really, other than the one where they had the "birthday" party for him, which had a cameo by "Moe" of the Three Stooges, that whole subplot/aspect was cringeworthy and annoying with all the crying babies. And I'm one who loves babies and I know you don't, but ugh. He really served no purpose that I could see.

And yes! I was thinking the same thing, how the roles were reversed in "Tempered Steele" and I loved it, because it was organic. Especially how Nora got all the suspects wrong in The Thin Man Goes Home-and how she's explaining to Nick's father, Nick's genius.  That was the one where I called who the killer turned out to be--because the lie that gave him away was soooo obvious.

I will also admit, one part that was consistent in all the movies, which I didn't like, was the cops all fawning over Nick, and the *wink*wink* that Nora wasn't his wife, and he was fooling around on her. Or how stupid the cops were.  But Powell and Loy made up for it with their chemistry and acting, so it's not something I let bother me throughout the movies as i watched them.

I also watched Bringing Up Baby, That Touch of Mink as well.  And the special on Cary Grant in the former's dvd.  Interestingly enough, Betsy Drake, who was married to Grant the longest, was the one who had the least positive things to say about him. Which, is understandable I guess.  But there were times where I wasn't sure if she was talking about him or the movie character he was playing.

I'm glad they also showed the Honorary Oscar he was given; saved me from having to search for it on YouTube.

I hope you had a restful two weeks, Bastet! I know it ended today, right? Here's hoping you won't be swamped with work when you return.

Oh yeah, Bill Powell can make just about anything sound charming, so the "Mommy" thing didn't bother me anywhere near as much as it would in another film.  Plus, although Nick and Nora are so horribly domesticated by the end of the franchise (someone wrote a good thesis on how most of the tropes about marriage subverted by the first film are on full display by the last), Nick certainly doesn't stop seeing her as his wife once she also becomes the mother of his child.  I just find it profoundly creepy when spouses call each other any variation on Mother/Father.  "Go ask Mom" or "Dad already said no" instead of "Go ask your Mom or "Your dad already said no" when talking to the kids sounds normal to me, but actually addressing each other that way makes me shudder.  This despite the fact I had a completely normal and wonderful great aunt and great uncle, a relationship in which he called her "Mommy" -- even though they had no children.

Bringing Up Baby is tied with The Thin Man as my favorite film.  Was this your first time seeing it?

Yes, today was back to work.  But out of my home office, thankfully.  The winter holiday break always goes by so fast!  I just concentrate on appreciating the fact I don't have to go back to work between Christmas and New Year's as many people do.  Vacation time in this country is so pathetic.

I still need to get back to my re-watch of this show; I was really busy after Thanksgiving, and then got distracted by the new books and DVDs I got for Christmas.  And now I'll be spending nights at my parents' house kitty sitting for a couple of weeks (and they don't have a DVD player in the bedroom), so who knows when it will happen.  I'm almost tempted to start over.

Bringing Up Baby is tied with The Thin Man as my favorite film.  Was this your first time seeing it?

This was the first time in seeing Bringing Up Baby in its entirety. I remember watching bits and parts of it when I was younger, and I absolutely loved it! It was a first seeing all The Thin Man movies.

And I know what you mean about spouses calling each other "Mother, Father, Pa, Ma" makes me shudder too. But like I said, the way Powell said it, it didn't come off as creepy. 

Since I haven't anything better to do, and I'm so sick and tired of the shows airing now, and I've been watching all shows from the 80s, I'm sure I'll end up rewatching this again! Maybe we can rewatch at the same time and discuss again. I'm sure I'll pick up on some things I missed during my megamarathon.

There is an upcoming show on ABC (March 24th) called The Catch that I just realized HAD to be partly inspired by Remington Steele. 

Female private investigator from LA who gets conned by her fiancé.  

Here's the info from the ABC on the show:

This thriller centers on the strong, successful Alice Vaughn. She is LA's top private investigator — and the one woman you don’t want to mess with.  But when her fiance cons her out of millions and disappears, Alice goes on a private mission for payback.

The commercial I just saw also played up the conman breaking his own rule and falling in love.  Yeah, sounds familiar, doesn't it?

It doesn't sound like she will catch him immediately but I wonder if when she does, if it might turn into something even more familiar. 

I think I will have to turn in. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Nope. Not me. Not interested.

What NBC, Stephanie and Pierce had? What's the saying? Lightning in a Bottle? That's what they had and I don't think anyone can ever replicate what I feel, I was fortunate to have during my tween years.

I saw the teasers for this show and was so not interested.

Nope. Not me. Not interested.

What NBC, Stephanie and Pierce had? What's the saying? Lightning in a Bottle? That's what they had and I don't think anyone can ever replicate what I feel, I was fortunate to have during my tween years.

I saw the teasers for this show and was so not interested.

I have to at least check it out.  I live in optimism.  ;)

I have to at least check it out.  I live in optimism.  ;)

More power to you! And I know you do! You watch Arrow! And Supergirl! I stopped with the latter after...the episode after Thanksgiving, I think. But I will tune in for the crossover! I hope Grant and Melissa get to sing! Okay, that won't happen.

• Love 1

Couldn't get past the second episode. 

I think that I was right and the show intended to eventually bring him into the firm like on Remington Steele but I think it's going to get canceled before it ever gets to that point.  Which is a shame because I think I really would have liked it if they didn't keep them apart the whole time except in flashbacks but I am SO over flashbacks. 

• Love 1

Here's the video Kourtney Gleason (yep, the wooden moppet from Have I Got a Steele For You, all grown up) put together for Michael's memorial service.  There are several pictures with Stephanie (from the time of the show, and from later on). 

(I checked Pierce's Facebook and Twitter pages, and was a little surprised he never posted anything about Gleason's death.  He posted when Leonard Cohen died, but not about the guy who gave him his start in America?  Weird.)

• Love 1

So I couldn't get into The Catch last season, mainly because what is the fun of having two leads that are supposed to be in love (but one a conman and one a PI) who are almost never in the same scenes since he was forced back to running other cons?

I heard though that the season ended with him turning himself in to save Alice (the PI fiance he conned) and that she'd forgiven him and they planned to be together once he was out of jail.  I knew that was code for he'd get a deal to get out and continue his cons but now working for the good guys so I tuned in. 

It is a much more watchable show now with her trying to balance her business and job with her love life with conman and figuring out how and who to trust.  It's not Remington Steele level chemistry IMO  (she's well cast but he just can't muster the same level of charm and humor) but I can see the potential and if I had any doubt that someone on the writing staff SOOOO is  a RS fan, tonight's episode were we had diamonds being smuggled in fish,put that to  rest, lol.  

I'm going to keep tuning in this season.  It tick's the boxes for both my Remington Steele love and my White Collar affection.  Plus Gina Torres is in it this year.  Always a good thing.   

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Golden Kitten said:

Laura always yapping about how her father left her mother an emotional cripple really got on my nerves. She was always trying to act like Polly Purebred. That is why I thought he did not tell her about the deportation issue.

Taking response to season four thread.