Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Deep Dark Secrets

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

I love that we're using Laura Holt's original opening monologue for our title! (Did you know there's a Sporcle quiz about it?) But I still wonder why she says "Follow:" all by itself in the middle. That's never been the way people talk, has it?

Here's my deep dark secret....Remington Steele? Though I fell for him headfirst...when I saw Laura and how smart she was, well, she became my hero!

There was a trifecta of romantic comedies in the early 80s...this show, Moonlighting and Scarecrow & Mrs. King.  This show was number one for me, and Scarecrow was second. I never could get into Moonlighting. Ack! I think that qualifies better as my dark secret!

And I never did like that Remington's real name was...apparently...Harry. Don't ask me why. I've always loved cop shows, not really a big fan of comedy, but there was just something about this show. A mixture of both? Drama and comedy? I will say that I hunted and hunted for fedoras like the ones Laura was sporting, but with no luck. Then again, I was just a kid.

• Love 1

I never really like Moonlighting either. :) Was a big Scarecrow and Mrs. King fan.

As for his name turning out to be Harry....I think that can be debated. Yes his real father referred to him as Harry but by that time it was just one of several names the unnamed Mr. Steele had picked up,for himself. No birth certificate, no Harry. Problem solved. ;)

I see in fan fiction he's often called Harry but I just can't quite accept it. It doesn't ring right in my head.

Since we're not supposed to talk about the show in this thread, help me come up with clever titles for some more season and character threads.

I suck, SUCK at Clever titles. For Remington, I just get...Reformed Con Man...and then nuttin'

Here are a few ideas - some crappier than others I admit.  : 

Mildred Krebs-I loved Doris Before Everybody Liked Raymond.

Everybody Loves Mildred  

Murphy Michaels - Works Closely with the Coroner's Office

Murphy Michaels - Yeah, it's Not Happening

Bernice "Wolf" Foxe 

• Love 1

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I'm reading a trilogy written by Nora Roberts (Dark Witch series) dthat just happens to be taking place in the village around Ashford Castle. Brosnan even gets a mention about being married at a local Abbey. Made me happy. :)

• Love 1

I'm reading a trilogy written by Nora Roberts (Dark Witch series) dthat just happens to be taking place in the village around Ashford Castle. Brosnan even gets a mention about being married at a local Abbey. Made me happy. :)

SHUT UP! You read Nora?! Awesome! It goes without saying that I am her number one stalker, er, I mean fan. Yes, fan!

I'm a little behind on her most recent books.  Oddly enough when I got my Kindle two -three years ago it made keeping track of new releases a lot harder since on the web its very hard to determine if it is a brand new novel or if its a old one just released in the Kindle format or even more confusing a old tale with a new name or put together in some new anthology.  But otherwise I'd say I've read all of her stuff.  I'm still waiting for a move or tv show made on her In Death books because that would be epic, right? 

I have (obviously) a Pierce Brosnan thing which spills into an Irish thing which means I can't help but think of Roark as a rougher, more dangerous version of Remington Steel (the man he was before he became Remington Steele)  And now I've shared perhaps too much how much I let Remington Steele seep into my everyday thoughts.  Still, it's a nice thought.

• Love 1

Well, all her reissues are Silhouettes, so there's that.  I haven't paid attention to how it looks on amazon, but all her new titles have a gold circle with NR on them, that's how you know it's a new book. I've got ALL of her books No, scratch that. there are two trilogies which I thought were awful=her attempt to do a vampire on, the Circle trilogy, and then the Blood Brothers one. It's more accurate to say I have read and reread, and read every single book of hers, multiple times.

I don't trust Hollywood and am glad that the few attempts to try to get the in deaths to television have failed, because I don't trust them to get the casting RIGHT or do justice to it. I love me my Nora, but it has never made sense to me why she sold the rights to some of her best books to FUCKING LIFETIME, which annihilated and massacred the books, not to mention the godawful casting. There were only a handful of good casting choices, but the movies were DREADFUL.

Yep, just like you, I pictured a hardened, less civilized Pierce Brosnan as Roarke, with um, the voice of Daniel Day-Lewis' Oirish Accent.

What?

No, scratch that. there are two trilogies which I thought were awful=her attempt to do a vampire on, the Circle trilogy, and then the Blood Brothers one. It's more accurate to say I have read and reread, and read every single book of hers, multiple times.

Not my favorites either, though I thought she did creepy and disturbing a bit too well in the Blood Brother trilogy.  Something about the demonic little kid dancing about but most of the town pretending they couldn't see it.  I bought the series but did NOT keep those books.  What do you think of the Dark Witch Trilogy so far?  They do remind me a bit of those two trilogies but they haven't pushed my ick buttons yet.  I like the flashbacks with the original three.  I'm still in the middle of the second book. 

Yep, just like you, I pictured a hardened, less civilized Pierce Brosnan as Roarke, with um, the voice of Daniel Day-Lewis' Oirish Accent.

Ooh, that helps.  I always had a bit of trouble coming up with the accent. 

What?

Hey, no judgment here. 

I love me my Nora, but it has never made sense to me why she sold the rights to some of her best books to FUCKING LIFETIME, which annihilated and massacred the books, not to mention the godawful casting. There were only a handful of good casting choices, but the movies were DREADFUL.

No denials here but most book to movie transformations suck.  The In Death books were the only ones I could see them getting right (as TV) since the serial format would translate to a weekly episodes. Plus the future setting and all the wild side characters - it just cries out addictive TV.   You are right though, it could go incredibly wrong with the wrong casting and a too timid producer.  They'd tone everything down too much and imagine if Eve turned into some over glammed model type.  Though if the show runners would be patient they could have their cake and eat it too once Roarke starts dressing and styling her. 

It's probably for the best that nobody in television is tinkering with it though. 

• Love 1

I'm actually enjoying the O'Dwyer trilogy. I really loved the first book; the second, was...okay. I'm really, really looking forward to Finn's story. Only 5 more months! I find this trilogy a cross between the Gallaghers and Three Sisters' Island, with respect to the characters.

I just watched "Evelyn" last night and didn't expect it to affect me as much as it did. it makes me now wish, that Brosnan would have used an Irish Brogue more on this show.

So of course after watching, I Googled Desmond Doyle to find out about the real life story this movie was based on. A father in 1953 Ireland (Doyle), whose cheatin' wife left him and his six children (in the movie it was only 3), and the government took his children away from him, and put the two sons in one orphanage, and the daughter, Evelyn, in another.  I suspected as much and it was confirmed that the beating Evelyn received at the hand of one of the nuns, Sister Brigid, was Hollywood creative license, as the real Evelyn said she had never been beaten, but there are certain scenes she just couldn't watch and had to leave. The one where her mother leaves them on Boxing Day. 

Julianna Marguiles was also in it, but her Irish accent was atrocious. There were a lot of criticism from the real life children in the various orphanages for the misleading tag at the end of the movie about how the Doyle decision in Supreme Court allowed many of the children to be reunited with their children. And apparently this wasn't the case; the opposite, actually. Doyle's getting the law changed made it worse. And that makes me sad. I hope it's different now.

Oh, and as much as I love him, Brosnan is a horrid singer.

I very belatedly realized there was no all episodes thread to discuss the more general aspects of the show a la Steele's real name. And since Small Talk is not for show stuff, I have remedied that.

So the talk of Steele has been moved to that shiny new thread! Go crazy with it!  :-)

So, as I finished up watching the series, I plopped down to watch Pierce in the James Bond movies.

One: I think it's sad that Cassandra didn't live to see that he finally was able to play Bond;  Pierce has said that she was more upset than he was when Brocoli and company refused to let their James Bond be Remington Steele and vice versa.

Anyhoo, just watched Tomorrow Never Dies and that crazy ass "doctor" who was going to kill Bond, to make it look like he killed Teri Hatcher's character, played by Vincent Schiavelli, also appeared as Carlo in Season Four's "Steele on the Air."

How 'bout that?  And their characters weren't so chummy here as they were in the episode, heh.

And call me a Pollyanna, but I am going to choose not to believe that Pierce and Teri were not "compatible" (=didn't get along/hated each other), and instead believe Teri's enthusiasm over Pierce and working with him in the special features of this movie. Just a note, but I believe she was pregnant at the time and was suffering morning sickness, which may have...caused such statements that she coudn't stand him.

Tomorrow Never Dies is my favorite of his Bond movies.  The first one was too choppy for me, the third one had Denise Richards in it (as Christmas Snow - enough said) and the last one was a bit too campy (though it is my second favorite probably for that reason).  I really enjoyed his scenes with Teri Hatcher.  I thought they had a believable chemistry and his sorrow and guilt at her death seemed genuine. 

Loved him working with his Chinese counter part.  And I judge every motorcycle chase by that one. 

And call me a Pollyanna, but I am going to choose not to believe that Pierce and Teri were not "compatible" (=didn't get along/hated each other), and instead believe Teri's enthusiasm over Pierce and working with him in the special features of this movie. Just a note, but I believe she was pregnant at the time and was suffering morning sickness, which may have...caused such statements that she coudn't stand him.

Yeah, all it would take it TH making some sick faces before or after a take and poof, rumors.   I think after there was some friction over on Desperate Housewives people also retroactively went looking for further things to blame TH about.  Never heard a negative thing about her as an actor or person from Dean Cain so I'll chalk the talk up to people trying to create controversy where there wasn't. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Whaaaat? I thought Denise Richards was in the Timothy Dalton movie. Couldn't stand her ass.

Well, I have all four, and that is on my list to watch next, so there you go.

I love GoldenEye, the first one, because, one, Pierce was FINALLY playing James Bond! Two, the movie came out during a period of my life, where I could lose myself in the movie to forget about what I was going through, and it was Pierce Brosnan! And of course Sean Bean had to be the bad guy!

And I feel like an idiot that I'd forgotten that Alan Cumming played Boris, the hacker who froze with a smile worthy of the Joker's gas laden flower: that eerie smile face mask when the nitrogen whatever exploded and he was doused with it.

Whaaaat? I thought Denise Richards was in the Timothy Dalton movie. Couldn't stand her ass.

Well, I have all four, and that is on my list to watch next, so there you go.

I love GoldenEye, the first one, because, one, Pierce was FINALLY playing James Bond! Two, the movie came out during a period of my life, where I could lose myself in the movie to forget about what I was going through, and it was Pierce Brosnan! And of course Sean Bean had to be the bad guy!

And I feel like an idiot that I'd forgotten that Alan Cumming played Boris, the hacker who froze with a smile worthy of the Joker's gas laden flower: that eerie smile face mask when the nitrogen whatever exploded and he was doused with it.

ETA: ARGH! Denise is in The World is Not Enough. My love for Pierce allows me to overlook her existence, because Sophia Marceau is in it, and M has a bigger role in it as well.

I didn't realize that was him!

ETA: ARGH! Denise is in The World is Not Enough. My love for Pierce allows me to overlook her existence, because Sophia Marceau is in it, and M has a bigger role in it as well.

The rest of the movie is actually pretty good but the casting of Denise Richards is about as egregious as anything done in any of the Bond movies.  I can't set aside my rage anytime she is on screen and she's so bad that I cringe the whole time as well so by the time the movie is over, I have a headache.  I usually turn it off now before her part.  So, so  awful. 

And he had pretty strong main love interests in his other movies so I really don't understand how or why she was cast.  Blackmail? 

Off topic, but I'm sitting here watching the big Sinatra tribute (and knowing that my love for Remington Steele has had a big hand in my love for old standards) and they have Nick Jonas trying to sing In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.  Turns out, he kind of sucks as a singer. (Ok, I am being really picky, he's in tune, he just has NO power or emotion in his voice) Also, how is this dude considered eye candy? Grow some floppy hair to distract from your jacked up teeth dude.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Well, this is the thread for non-topic stuff, heh.

And HOLY CRAP! I totally didn't recognize the baddie Renard in The World is Not Enough!

It's none other than Robert Carlyle, who currently plays Rumplstiltzkin on Once Upon a Time! I knew he looked familiar, but I couldn't place him.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Okay, so I was reading the reviews for Laws of Attraction and I had to roll my eyes at one reviewer, who said that Pierce's performance was a good one, considering that this was "his first attempt at self-depracating and screw ball comedy."

I was tempted to go into the "ask a question" and ask her 'Have you ever watched Remington Steele?'

And yes, I'm totally buying the dvd because it's under $5 and he looks yummy.

What?

Laws of Attraction suffers from two things, First and foremost, an unfunny reoccurring joke about the weather channel. Falls flat every time. And secondly, some bad editing that made me even the second time I saw it scratch my head about what was going on when they are lost in the countryside.

Still, you are right, PB looks very yummy. Kind of scruffy professor.

Laws of Attraction suffers from two things, First and foremost, an unfunny reoccurring joke about the weather channel. Falls flat every time. And secondly, some bad editing that made me even the second time I saw it scratch my head about what was going on when they are lost in the countryside.

Still, you are right, PB looks very yummy. Kind of scruffy professor.

Oh wonderful. But if I can make it through the season that never happened, I can watch this. It goes back to what I said in Steele's thread: The man is beyond drool-worthy and never ever looks bad, no matter how one tries to make him look messy, scruffy, etc.

And I just watched The Thomas Crown Affair and damned if Pierce's Thomas Crown didn't remind me or make me think of Roarke! Especially the opening scenes when those blowhards think they've one upped Crown, only to be told they paid $13 million more than what other bidders were offering for one of his properties! 

ZING!.

So, my thinking is, you meld the shady, mysterious past of Remington Steele, with wealthy Thomas Crown and his business acumen and penchant and success for thievery, and Pierce Brosnan would have been the PERFECT Roarke had the series ever made it to the silver screen back in the late 90s.  After all, Robb started the series in '95, and by '99 there were at least 10 books released.

• Love 1

Most of Brosnan's films are things that don't interest me, so I haven't seen him in much since the show.  I like him in stuff like Evelyn and The Greatest, though; I wish he'd do more like that. 

I wish screwball comedy would make a comeback, period, and if it did I'd love to see him in one.

• Love 2

Most of Brosnan's films are things that don't interest me, so I haven't seen him in much since the show.  I like him in stuff like Evelyn and The Greatest, though; I wish he'd do more like that. 

I wish screwball comedy would make a comeback, period, and if it did I'd love to see him in one.

I loved Evelyn!. Especially because he was using (and I know this is shallow) an Irish Brogue.  I'll have to look up The Greatest.  I wish the television movie he did post-Remington Steele which aired on the USA network, Murder 101 was available somewhere to watch. I remember it vaguely. Just that he played a College Professor who taught Criminology, I think? Either he was the murderer or he had been framed for murder.

I liked him in that mini-series Noble House, I think it was called. Based on the book by the same author, whose name I'm blanking on, who wrote Shogun.  I didn't like his  Around the World in 80 Days mainly because of the main female lead/love interest.  She was Asian, but not East-Indian, which is what the character was supposed to be. They had her dressed in a Sari, so my brain couldn't accept that whoever did the casting for this movie, couldn't find an actress of East-Indian descent. Or they just didn't want to bother, since well, I don't know why, frankly. I just know it bugged me.

ETA: Corrected to CORRECT the names of the movie and mini-series!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Gee, didn't you know -- all those ethnicities are interchangeable.  Just ask Hollywood.  Hell, it's surprising they didn't cast a Caucasian actor.

The Greatest isn't as good a film as it should be given its cast, but it's interesting and he's good in it.  It's nice to see him with an age-appropriate woman, too, but of course they're already married (and troubled), they take a back seat to the younger characters, and all that jazz.  And as a bit of trivia, he personally called a reluctant Susan Sarandon - reluctant because she'd done similar roles already - and convinced her to sign on.

• Love 1

Gee, didn't you know -- all those ethnicities are interchangeable.  Just ask Hollywood.  Hell, it's surprising they didn't cast a Caucasian actor.

The Greatest isn't as good a film as it should be given its cast, but it's interesting and he's good in it.  It's nice to see him with an age-appropriate woman, too, but of course they're already married (and troubled), they take a back seat to the younger characters, and all that jazz.  And as a bit of trivia, he personally called a reluctant Susan Sarandon - reluctant because she'd done similar roles already - and convinced her to sign on.

Silly me! How could I have forgotten that!

Your line, which I bolded is reason enough for me to see it.

I wish there had been more movies with Stephanie, though. She did say that she went back to the theatre after the show ended; I can only remember two, that's two tv movies she did. I don't know if the first was done before Remington or during; she was a laywer for Alec Baldwin's character, and they became lovers and ended up on the run; but got caught in the end? Not a good movie.

The other was her playing a mother, who had abandoned her kids.  She showed up after her ex-husband died and was being raised by Joanna Kerns of Growing Pains fame.  Gabby Hoffman played the oldest child, I think, and seemed to have memories of her mother through rose-tinted glasses. I find myself very impressed with how great Stephanie is with her facility with doing credible accents.  I'm not sure where her character hailed from, but the accent was spot on.

Oh, she did quite a few TV movies, because I was in quite a TV movie phase back in the '80s/early '90s and watched just about all of them (and pretty much haven't seen one since).  For a while there, if it wasn't Judith Light, Jaclyn Smith, or Joanna Kerns, it was her.  Caroline is probably the most remembered, but there was another good mystery, too.

She's so great on stage, so she really found her niche there.  And I respect how she realized all the really good actors guesting on the show were from the theatre, and decided she wanted to work to be that good, too.  I like actors who really care about the craft of acting, not just the perks.

• Love 2

Oh, she did quite a few TV movies, because I was in quite a TV movie phase back in the '80s/early '90s and watched just about all of them (and pretty much haven't seen one since).  For a while there, if it wasn't Judith Light, Jaclyn Smith, or Joanna Kerns, it was her.  Caroline is probably the most remembered, but there was another good mystery, too.

She's so great on stage, so she really found her niche there.  And I respect how she realized all the really good actors guesting on the show were from the theatre, and decided she wanted to work to be that good, too.  I like actors who really care about the craft of acting, not just the perks.

Well shoot. I wish I had known!

I'm not surprised that she excelled on the stage. And I recall her saying that.

At least I got to see her briefly in Judging Amy as a DA I think, for one of Amy's cases. She looked great. And of course, her stint as DA on Batman: The Animated Series, which she did, not because her father was voicing Alfred, but because she and Kevin Conoy, who were good friends, and he played Bruce Wayne/Batman, asked her to. Or something like that.

• Love 1

I adore The Thomas Crown Affair.  It's so easy to watch and rewatch. Lots of great moments from all the actors involved.  It has a classic feel all over it. 

I also thing After the Sunset is underrated.  Not a classic but still fun. 

Caroline is probably the most remembered, but there was another good mystery, too

I remember that one.  It was a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie I think.  That might mean it's still floating around somewhere.

Purely for cringe worthy entertainment, I wish I could track down the Diagnosis Murder episode she did.  She's basically playing a version of Remington Steele.  Not Laura, but Remington.  Jewel thief with mysterious past.  Drove around in a car that reminded me of the Auburn.  And had the most atrocious English accent.  This might have been the episode that ripped of the plot and some of the dialogue from "Cast in Steele."  I can't remember for certain. 

Found the episode she was in.  I think rather than a rip off of "Cast in Steele" (that one does exist too), this one was a variation of the first episode of Remington Steele (License to Steele -The Royal Lauvulite episode)  Here's a very confusing synopsis.  It was called "The Seven Deadly Sins"

The Sloane sleuths are joined by female Scotland Yard inspector Churchill when a murder is committed by Grant Connors, an expert art thief and seducer she follows everywhere. Yet she has a deal with him to reunite a set of diamonds last owned by the last Romanov czar. When Mark confronts her being a phony, she claims to be one of his victims, Vanessa Sellars, whose husband died from heart-failure when surprising them. Meanwhile Jesse decides to donate to the same auction, for the benefit of the hospital, a possibly priceless violin his father gave him. The auction proves eventful...

If I remember correctly, she first passes herself off as Inspector Churchill and then a victim, Vanessa Sellars and then it turns out she is just a thief.  Sound familiar?

Edited by BkWurm1

Yeah, I prefer the original Thomas Crown Affair, but the Brosnan/Russo remake is a pretty fun movie taken on its own.

I just looked up Diagnosis Murder (I remember its existence, but I never watched it); I didn't know Michael Gleason was a writer and exec producer on that for a time.  I haven't watched much of his other stuff.  I've seen Peyton Place and McCloud from before Remington Steele, but nothing that he did after (unless maybe I checked out Murphy's Law -- the synopsis sounds vaguely familiar).

Wait, what? I watched Diagnosis Murder! And it's clear that I missed the episode where Stephanie guest starred.

So, was her character faking and English accent? Because like I've said here and in the Laura thread, what I love about her is her facility with different accents.

And now that I know, it was probably a reunion, working with Barry VanDyke since he was the killer in "Steele Belted"!

Wait, what? I watched Diagnosis Murder! And it's clear that I missed the episode where Stephanie guest starred.

So, was her character faking and English accent? Because like I've said here and in the Laura thread, what I love about her is her facility with different accents.

And now that I know, it was probably a reunion, working with Barry VanDyke since he was the killer in "Steele Belted"!

No, it was supposed to be a real accent.  Honestly, there are so many variations on real English accents that there could be a real one out there that sounded like that and it has been forever since I saw the episode so maybe I wouldn't judge it so harshly but at the time I was just embarrassed. 

Half the reason I watched Diagnosis Murder was because I recognized Barry from Steele Belted, lol.  I'm not joking. 

Man, now I have to see if I can find it somewhere online to judge for myself, as well as to see her again.

Heh. I watched that show because I loved Dick VanDyke.  My favorite years are the ones with Scott Baio as Jack. I hated Charlie Schlatter, and how the hospital admin and Sloane's secretary were gone, toward the end.

Man, now I have to see if I can find it somewhere online to judge for myself, as well as to see her again.

Heh. I watched that show because I loved Dick VanDyke.  My favorite years are the ones with Scott Baio as Jack. I hated Charlie Schlatter, and how the hospital admin and Sloane's secretary were gone, toward the end.

Yeah, I only watched sporadically after Scott Baio left.  They seemed to stop writing character arcs after that and instead just used the docs as props to tell their mystery storylines which was disappointing to me. 

I went looking for the episode myself but apart from buying season seven on DVD (It's episode 10) I couldn't find it.  There were a couple of paid sites that said I could join for a free trial but my commitment to watching it wasn't that high. 

No thanks. I don't want to watch it that badly. Maybe the show will return in syndication.

I still can't believe I don't remember her appearance! I remember Bo Kent's* appearance! Though I didn't like his role.

They even had Ben Matlock appear as Ben Matlock.  And that was a wink wink, because Dick VanDyke had appeared as the murderer in Matlock's series premiere.

*BkWurm will know what I mean by that name!

• Love 1

I'm really surprised Diagnosis: Murder is not on somewhere now. It's in that select group of hourlong shows that appeal to an older audience that wants something familiar and comforting, that reliably restores order by the end of the hour. (I'm not knocking it; I enjoy some of these too.) Even if that's not the prime demographic that advertisers seek, it's still a substantial, dependable one that spends a fair amount of time with the TV.

Other examples of the genre are Matlock, Murder She Wrote, maybe Monk. I would have thought Early Edition too, but it seems to have been forgotten; maybe it didn't run long enough.