Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E13: My Word Is My Bond

• Start Topic

Jumping in with my opinion on something.  I don't do Twitter, and I love reading the "blow-by-blow" comments on the board for the hour before the show airs in my time zone.  It gives me a chance to fist-pump twice for the same incident - once as I read about it, and later as it happens.  It was awesome fun last night, as I knew what was going to happen, and I was able to watch the look on my hubby's face (he doesn't like spoilers) as each scenario unfolded.

• Love 10

How about the scenario in which Dan, Will, and Rodney vote one way and Mike, Carolyn, and Sierra vote the other -- which is what Mike was gunning for? Then Dan's vote is the tie-breaker.

Speaking of Mike, did he just shoot himself in the foot by inadvertently convincing Carolyn to play her idol? I know he was trying to build an alliance with her, but she's his biggest challenge competition left out there.  He's much more likely to get to the end without her around, I think.  Of course, it's good for him that her idol is gone, but it'd be even better if she were gone probably.

I did see somewhere that Dan thought that will had flipped so it was a three three tie, whether that's real or Dan coming up with an answer after the fact, what I don't get is why Dan would assume someone flipped.

According to Dan, Sierra came up to him and said Will approached her about getting him out, since he was worried about the advantage.  He knew after the fact that Will stayed true to his alliance, since he only got 2 votes.  Since Will had gone off on a reward with Mike, he assumed Mike got into his head a bit.  But something Will said at TC made him think he was going to flip, and that was why he used the advantage.

• Love 3
(edited)

I forget which interview it was, but in one of his talking heads Dan was super upset and kind of pounding his chest (I think when he was talking about Mike's "unmitigated gall" about trying to work with him).  It made his moobs really bounce about.  It was not a pleasant shot.  I feel like overweight men should be really conscious about where their moobs are and what they're doing at all times.  (Sorry, moob-owners.  To be fair, as a woman, I also try to be fairly cognizant about my chest, too.)

I don't even think it's moob issues.  I think it was Dan's saggy, half-starved, former-moobs jiggling from his crazy, ape-like, overly dramatic gesturing all the time.  It was creepy.  

Good riddance Dan.  I absolutely loved his pompous confessional that "Mike has the AUDACITY.  The UNMITIGATED GALL to tell me that [jazz hands] I can save you."  If ever there was a display of hubris on this show, that was it.

Jeff completely misused the phrases "jumping the shark" and "Shakespearean".  Maybe after 30 seasons, HE is the one with the fatigue.

In Dan's stupid confessionals all I can see his him writing villain lines for himself as he speaks.  He's not a good enough actor to pull it off.  

Jeff is in therapy, you know, for using the same 200 words every episode.  You can't really expect him to just add new ones and nail it every time.  (Though to be honest I don't read Shakespeare and would have no clue if what just went down was echoed in any of his plays.) 

I think Survivor wants nothing to do with a head-to-head against Games of Thrones.

It seems like I'm one of the only people who refuses to spring for HBO, but also one of the only ones with a big enough hd tv to see Sierra's eyebrow tats on day 3.  

Edited by Guest
(edited)

In Dan's stupid confessionals all I can see his him writing villain lines for himself as he speaks. He's not a good enough actor to pull it off.

Dan sees himself as a hero but thinks in retrospect he should have been more of a jerk. Really. Those are his words.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
(edited)

Jumping in with my opinion on something.  I don't do Twitter, and I love reading the "blow-by-blow" comments on the board for the hour before the show airs in my time zone.  It gives me a chance to fist-pump twice for the same incident - once as I read about it, and later as it happens.  It was awesome fun last night, as I knew what was going to happen, and I was able to watch the look on my hubby's face (he doesn't like spoilers) as each scenario unfolded.

You are my soulmate!!  I too am not a twitter fan.  Never got the appeal.  I have no issues with being spoiled.  I DVR the episode and start it about 20-30 min into it.  I hate all the commercials.  I will often read on the board as I watch and get info ahead of time.  I was pleased to learn Mike won immunity and that Dan got voted out.  Oh, and that Carolyn played her idol.  I hate suspense, I'm such a baby.  Haha

Glad to see I'm not alone in this!  

I'm not sure if I want Mike to win, but I love how him having immunity is shaking up that horrid alliance.

Watching Rodney lose one reward challenge after another has been very... rewarding!   

Edited by ihartcoffee
  • Love 8

Okay, sure, one of Mike's less likable traits is how he tends to try to do it all himself (though I for one agreed with those last week who felt the reward challenge had a steep learning curve and he made the right decision to keep jumping on the ball flipper).  

But Dan.  You're delusional.  You're working hard to restart the fire and Mike offers to spell you.  He's not doing it to "win" and be a hero!  You could hyperventilate or inhale some smoke and, say, pass out right into the fire if you overdo it and be medevaced for your burns.  Oh wait, not like that could ever happen on Survivor.  

And his celebrating after he started the fire and yelling at Mike about how he won?  Idiot.

• Love 15
(edited)

I don't even think it's moob issues.  I think it was Dan's saggy, half-starved, former-moobs jiggling from his crazy, ape-like, overly dramatic gesturing all the time.  It was creepy.

The moobs bother me less than the shirt or whatever it is he has draped over his shoulders whenever he does a confessional, as if he's a prizefighter between rounds. I've grown to irrationally hate that piece of fabric so much. I wish Sandra were there so she could throw it in the fire for me.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 11
(edited)

What a wonderful and beautiful episode!  Rodney's entitlement, Dan's delusions, Carolyn's insightful moves, and Mike's delicious victories!  I was so 'interacting' with the show during the Immunity Challenge.  I was feeling every move of the balls and literally telling Mike to take it easy.  There are many times that I'm glad that I live alone with my pets and that others cannot hear my comments during intense shows.

I am so supporting a Mike win, but I had a thought after last night's episode.  Many of us have assumed that if Mike got to the F3 that he would easily win.  I'm now wondering if that will work out.  Dan will be bitter and there will be two more bitter jury members should Mike make it to the end.  I only hope that Mike's supporters will outnumber the bitter, entitled, delusional jury members.

I am looking forward to next week's episode.  I believe that the hype that Jeff gave to this season is finally playing out.  And, yes, in my mind a Mike victory would be iconic due to what he has overcome as well as due to the people he had to play with.

Oh, I wanted to add that when Dan said that his second goal on being on the show was to be remembered it really hit me that many contestants seem to want to turn the experience into celebrity (which saddens me) and that Dan and Rodney seem to be extreme examples of that.  Dan thinks he's playing an honest and heroic game and Rodney probably thinks that he's endearing and entitled...

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 10
(edited)

I still think Mike is kind of an asshole, and even though he's getting an underdog, favorable edit, we still see glimpses of it. He gloats to all the others that they're going to have to vote for one of their own all the time. I can see the temptation but it's not very smart. 

This. Mike is so very lucky this season is full of awful people because otherwise I feel pretty confident he would not be as well liked by the audience. I guess I won't hate to see him win at this point, but I still hate him.

Hmm, so we're going into the 2-hour finale with a final five? Isn't is usually a final four?

When there's a F3 the finale starts with five people left. There's always 3 TCs in the finale.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

I think I may have figured out why Probst said this season is Shakespearian - It is so difficult to figure out what is going on most of the time.

I guess I am rooting for Mike or Caroline to win, but what I am really rooting for is that Rodney never wins a challenge. Oh, sweet schadenfreude 

Other than Mike and Carolyn, these people don't think. They whine, rest and wait for someone else to tell them what to do.

But they all think that they are thinking.  I am fairly confident that Dan and Rodney are sure they are master strategists.  I think Sierra is capable of thinking, but no one gives her the time of day. 

At least we finally got a satisfying episode. Though I am not very hopeful for the finale. 

We took a trip a few years ago - It was really hot so we decided to go home early, but then we had car trouble.  Took all day to fix it.  It was evening when we started driving home, but we didn't want to risk getting stranded so we held off on stopping for dinner until we were back in an area that had motels.  We finally stopped at a fast food place.  It was the best hamburger I have ever had in my life.  Of course, I wasn't that the burger was that good, it was that everything else had been so bad that the burger was terrific by comparison (My mother always says "Hunger makes the best cook").  I am wondering if this episode would have been so wonderful if the rest of the season hadn't sucked.

In his arrivederci video did Dan actually say something like he's proud of playing with dignity and class? Is he for real? I'd like to see him on a season of Survivor: Delusion Island. No joke, I think a season full of the worst players ever would be a hilariously awesome train wreck. I picture each player checking out the competition as Homer and Bart getting on the escape rocket ship only to have their joy turn to horror when they realize Ross Perot, Paulie Shore, Tom Arnold, and Rosie O'Donnell are their co-passengers.

Hey! Don't go giving Probst and Co any ideas - I would rather not ever see Coach, Phillip, or nay of the Hantzes ever again. 

Seems like she almost did.  Jeff was giving a running commentary and he commented when Sierra got into the inner circle not long after he announced that Mike was in the inner circle.  I suppose those sound bytes could have been spliced together, but it seems clear at some point prior to Mike winning, Sierra got into the inner circle.

It's not like Amazing Race when they purposely make things look a lot closer than they really are.  Because here we have Jeff constantly running his trap.

But we don't know if Jeff is making these comments during the challenge or if they are recorded after the challenge is over and the film has been edited. 

• Love 5

Frankly, none of them look like they've lost much weight.  Remember how painfully skinny some past survivors were?  These are being fed.

I feel like the guys who are really lean to start with really show it most. If Max or Vince were still there, I suspect they would look a lot worse off than the ones who are left.

Will, in particular, seems to have lost a ton of weight just based on how his shirt looks like it's about three sizes too big for him now. Dan lost quite a bit too, but it mostly shows in where and how his belly sits on his body. He started with a very full-looking belly that stuck straight out, but now what's left is kind of loose and hanging down. I'm built the same way and it's similarly hard to see when my weight fluctuates because the belly never really shrinks or grows that much.

• Love 2
(edited)
Mad Men finale too. I was already thinking of recording Survivor because I don't want to miss a second of Mad Men.

I would skip it for the Survivor finale though, I could always catch up with it later in the week.

Assuming you can get it to work, all this season's episodes are easily streamed from cbs.com.  That's how I watch the show.  I can watch it whenever I want, starting at whatever time I want.  For various reasons it's more convenient for me to watch on Friday night after, say, 10pm.   The latest episode is usually posted right after it airs on the West coast.    My wife & I skipped last week's episode and watched it before the current (as of this thread) episode, both a day late and 2 hours later.   You don't have to be a slave to the TV.

Edited by Eggman
  • Love 3

I'm rooting for Mike but only by default. What made me start to dislike him was at the food auction and then the remarks about Will's extra food.  But now I'm forced to root for him because I hate everybody else. I was a Carolyn fan at the beginning but that waned as the season went on and now she just flips alliances every week.

My question is this..if Dan believed Mike that they were going to vote him out..how could Mike have helped him?

But we don't know if Jeff is making these comments during the challenge or if they are recorded after the challenge is over and the film has been edited. 

But if Mike won it before Sierra was in the center circle, how did they have video footage of Sierra in the center circle?  

(edited)
Loved this episode! Dan just has zero redeeming qualities. It's not even that much fun to wait for him to fall because he's too stupid and inexplicably self-confident to realize how foolish he looks. And that fucking voice and dramatic emphasis just bugs the hell out of me.  - ljenkins782

So many people have tried, but for me you really nail how I feel about Dan and I really had to highlight this.  

I love this!  yeah "Dansplain"  is certainly a word now, meaning a pompous, condescending way of telling people something, using cliches,  that they don't really need explained to them. - backformore

And now add this quote too.... I can't stop laughing.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I think I may have figured out why Probst said this season is Shakespearian - It is so difficult to figure out what is going on most of the time.

That, and the fact that whatever gobbledegook they're speaking (between accents, bleeps, and nonsense) is unintelligible to most 'mericans.

• Love 2

And his celebrating after he started the fire and yelling at Mike about how he won?  Idiot.

A coworker's comment on that was "He learns how fire works... now he's King of the World."

• Love 5
(edited)

But if Mike won it before Sierra was in the center circle, how did they have video footage of Sierra in the center circle?  

The quote I was responding to implied that they can't play around with the timing (making it seem closer that it really was, as they do on The Amazing Race) because Jeff is talking throughout the challenge.  I was saying that they can still play around with the timing because not everything we are hearing was necessarily recorded while the challenge was taking place.  Sierra made it to the center circle, but perhaps she was much farther behind Mike than we were shown.  Or maybe this challenge was exactly as portrayed, but that doesn't mean other challenges are as close as we are lead to believe. 

ETA: Okay, okay, I surrender :-)  Sierra was right behind Mike and the finish was thisclose. 

I am just trying to point out that, just because Jeff talks ad anuseum throughout the challenge, it doesn't mean that finishes are as close as they seem in every "close" challenge.  TAR splices film together, Survivor can also do some editing and add in commentary that makes the finish seem closer.  Sometimes. Not every time, just some times. 

Edited by needschocolate

I was saying that they can still play around with the timing because not everything we are hearing was necessarily recorded while the challenge was taking place.  Sierra made it to the center circle, but perhaps she was much farther behind Mike than we were shown.  

That would mean they included footage that wasn't Sierra playing in the IC because they all stopped playing once Mike won. I don't think they'd do that.

• Love 2

Rodney's inability to form words may be from 'roid withdrawal.

Or hunger as Probst opined.

Coming off anabolic steroids suddenly (as in being cast for Survivor) can result in withdrawal symptoms that include:

depression and apathy
    feelings of anxiety
    difficulty concentrating
    The melon did make him feel better.

• Love 5

That would mean they included footage that wasn't Sierra playing in the IC because they all stopped playing once Mike won. I don't think they'd do that.

I was talking about timing in challenges, in general.  Not necessarily this particular challenge. 

The quote I was responding to implied that they can't play around with the timing (making it seem closer that it really was, as they do on The Amazing Race) because Jeff is talking throughout the challenge.  I was saying that they can still play around with the timing because not everything we are hearing was necessarily recorded while the challenge was taking place.  Sierra made it to the center circle, but perhaps she was much farther behind Mike than we were shown.  Or maybe this challenge was exactly as portrayed, but that doesn't mean other challenges are as close as we are lead to believe. 

I agree, they can overdub audio.  But I don't see how Sierra could be much farther behind Mike than we were shown.  The center circle is like 2" around the center hole.  They had to be neck and neck or be showing spliced footage of multiple challenge runs or of 'dream team' runs.  

I agree, anything is possible of course.  They could have recorded the audio later and dubbed it.  The overhead shots of the balls rolling around in the center circle could also have been shot and inserted later.  But I prefer the version that aired, in which Mike barely beat out Sierra.  Why?  Because I prefer to think that if she had eaten that steak, she'd have more strength and calm and zen and could have won the challenge.  Bringing it all back to Dan asstastically dismissing Sierra's suggestion of the word "fixin" at the reward challenge.

• Love 4

Here's why I can defend "Shakespearean" in this case:  Shakespearean drama turns on a fatal flaw in the character of the protagonist being the downfall of the character.  Dan's arrogance and refusal to consider anyone's perspective but his own, even when people were trying pretty hard to clue him in, led him to make some foolish moves, such as playing the advantage, which caused Carolyn to play her idol, which led to his downfall.  Arrogance (hubris?) was Dan's downfall.  "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves...." 

• Love 13
I am so supporting a Mike win, but I had a thought after last night's episode.  Many of us have assumed that if Mike got to the F3 that he would easily win.  I'm now wondering if that will work out.  Dan will be bitter and there will be two more bitter jury members should Mike make it to the end.  I only hope that Mike's supporters will outnumber the bitter, entitled, delusional jury members.

Of anyone left, I think Mike has Joe/Jenn/Hali/Shirin locked up, which is a great start (how many are on the jury? 8 or 9?) The rest would depend on who he's sitting next to/who's on the jury, but I could easily see him winning, but he may get hammered at FTC by a few folks (Dan). 

Here's why I can defend "Shakespearean" in this case:  Shakespearean drama turns on a fatal flaw in the character of the protagonist being the downfall of the character.  Dan's arrogance and refusal to consider anyone's perspective but his own, even when people were trying pretty hard to clue him in, led him to make some foolish moves, such as playing the advantage, which caused Carolyn to play her idol, which led to his downfall.  Arrogance (hubris?) was Dan's downfall.  "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves...."

Exactly. I think (or maybe, I LIKE to think) that Jeff and the other producers thought Dan was just as obnoxious, clueless, and completely lacking in self-awareness as I do, so they enjoyed watching him hoist himself on his own petard. 

According to Dan, Sierra came up to him and said Will approached her about getting him out, since he was worried about the advantage.  He knew after the fact that Will stayed true to his alliance, since he only got 2 votes.  Since Will had gone off on a reward with Mike, he assumed Mike got into his head a bit.  But something Will said at TC made him think he was going to flip, and that was why he used the advantage.

That does make sense, particularly since Will's flipped before AND he had voted Dan in the last TC. And with Will having been on the reward with Mike and Carolyn and him bringing up Dan's advantage at TC, I can understand why he'd be nervous. But since I can't stand him, I love that he was not only wrong and wasted the advantage, he got bounced anyway because of an idol. Couldn't have happened to a grosser guy...

• Love 2

Say whaaaaa? Mike is an oil rig worker and has never been in a helicopter? Every book, tv show movie I have read or seen always has people flying out to the drill platform.

He likely works on a land rig, not offshore (we've got lots of those in West Texas).

So glad Dan is gone...now if Rodney's whiney ass can go, and without ever getting a reward! Him being gone will be reward for all of us.

• Love 6

I am so supporting a Mike win, but I had a thought after last night's episode.  Many of us have assumed that if Mike got to the F3 that he would easily win.  I'm now wondering if that will work out.  Dan will be bitter and there will be two more bitter jury members should Mike make it to the end.  I only hope that Mike's supporters will outnumber the bitter, entitled, delusional jury members.

I think Mike gets Shirin, Hali, Joe and Jenn. I could see Hali maybe voting for Carolyn if she's there at the end, but I guess we'll find out.

Honestly, Carolyn owes Mike a big thank you for planting that seed of doubt in her mind about the boys lazing in the shelter. She initially dismissed him as paranoid, but now knows he was exactly right. That kind of thing is why I'm rooting for Mike, personality issues aside.

• Love 9

I think Mike gets Shirin, Hali, Joe and Jenn. I could see Hali maybe voting for Carolyn if she's there at the end, but I guess we'll find out.

Honestly, Carolyn owes Mike a big thank you for planting that seed of doubt in her mind about the boys lazing in the shelter. She initially dismissed him as paranoid, but now knows he was exactly right. That kind of thing is why I'm rooting for Mike, personality issues aside.

She also owes Tyler a huge thank you for not outing her about the idol last week.  All he had to do was mutter, "You could have saved me with your idol," and this week would not have happened this way. 

• Love 6

In fairness to Rodney, I don't think Rodney would expect Mike to give him a reward, they are not aligned so there is no reason for Mike to do that. I don't know why Rodney is not whining about Will not giving up his reward. I think Carolyn may have told Rodney that she would take him on a reward or give him a reward at some point in time.

I think she probably did, but was meaning "if I win an individual reward challenge then I will choose you to take with me" rather than "I will not get a reward that I have won because I will give it to you."  Someone said pretty much exactly that last week (forget who).  Have they had this many team reward challenges this late in recent seasons?  My vague memory is that they were pretty much all individual by this point.

Yeah, pot meet kettle. However, as much as it pains me to say it, Dan is probably right about Mike. He says Mike always has to take the credit for everything around camp and be the one who solves everything - which is exactly how Mike was on Blue Collar at the very beginning, when he was Mr. Bossy Pants and annoying all the girls.

I still think Mike is kind of an asshole, and even though he's getting an underdog, favorable edit, we still see glimpses of it. He gloats to all the others that they're going to have to vote for one of their own all the time. I can see the temptation but it's not very smart. There's a reason nobody likes him. Yeah, they're all awful people, but I don't really think Mike is less awful, I just think we see less of his awfulness.

Undoubtedly - they don't want us to turn off because we have no one we want to see win.  Even the extent of Russell Hantz's arseholishness didn't really get shown until they were at final 3, which is when I knew he wouldn't win - these are the people you're allied with and you're treating them like that?  What exactly were you like with the people you weren't allied with?  I don't think Mike's anywhere near that bad, but I think he'd still grate on people a lot living in very close quarters the same way he did to begin with - by trying to do everything himself and then being irritated that no one was thanking him.  The paranoia wouldn't help either.  I'm still hoping for him, Sierra or Carolyn to win, but of those three Mike has by far the worst social game, worse even I think than Rodney and Will's. 

(edited)

But really, the fact that the "N"  had an apostrophe after it, meant that "N"  had to be followed by either  S or T.  They needed to work on that part of it. 

The N' didn't have to be followed by S or T. The apostrophe could be anywhere there was a missing letter (and end of the word dropped G in ING even without the S would be a likely possibility). But if the Survivors aren't in the habit of doing word puzzles, I can see how they might not be familiar with the typical logical thought processes you use to narrow the possibilities.

Maybe next time production will provide Jeff with a contingency plan, e.g. if no one has solved it after 30 minutes, he can give them one of the words.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle

...now if Rodney's whiney ass can go, and without ever getting a reward! Him being gone will be reward for all of us.

My dream scenario is Rodney being the LAST juror, thereby missing out on much time or fun at Ponderosa while simultaneously missing out on the right to face the jury. I want that little moron to have the LEAST possible positivity coming his way, since he's spread so much negativity himself.

• Love 12

I definitely want Rodney to be a juror so he can ask all the finalists why they didn't give up their rewards for him, particularly on his birthday.

I want Mike to be a finalist so Dan can lay into him for having the unmitigated gall and unprecedented cruelty to keep everyone from getting their love letters from home. I believe Dan actually thinks that happened.

I want Will in the final three so Shirrin can tell him why he isn't getting a single vote.

I'm looking forward to record breaking, illogical bitterness.

• Love 13

Carolyn looked pissed at tribal or at least annoyed.  I think she only there realized she was in danger and would have to use her idol. 

I think Mike hit a nerve with her when he pointed out that the Three Amigos were all napping in the shelter together while she was stressing over the vote that night.   

• Love 5

I sort of wish Mike had kept his mouth shut and left Carolyn feeling confident. He can beat the others in immunity challenges, but Carolyn is tough as well as probably being someone who'll get votes in the end.

• Love 10

I think Mike hit a nerve with her when he pointed out that the Three Amigos were all napping in the shelter together while she was stressing over the vote that night.   

Yeah, that probably planted the seed.  But she also kind of brushed him off as paranoid and desperate when he walked away, too, didn't she?  

What I loved about that scene was finally we saw some actual strategy talk around camp.  What's sucked about this season is all the focus on the personalities-- Rodney's whining, Dan's bluster...  Its like:  Challenge, whine, whine, whine, bluster, challenge 2, whine, bluster, bluster, (Will sitting there), bluster, tribal.  

OMFG.  Who knew?  

Reading Jeff's interviews, I like him more and more.  The one time I heard or saw Phil K. on anything it was celebrity Password and he was a total moron who lost his player the big bucks.  

How about the scenario in which Dan, Will, and Rodney vote one way and Mike, Carolyn, and Sierra vote the other -- which is what Mike was gunning for? Then Dan's vote is the tie-breaker.

Speaking of Mike, did he just shoot himself in the foot by inadvertently convincing Carolyn to play her idol? I know he was trying to build an alliance with her, but she's his biggest challenge competition left out there.  He's much more likely to get to the end without her around, I think.  Of course, it's good for him that her idol is gone, but it'd be even better if she were gone probably.

I think Carolyn HAD to play her HII very soon anyways . 

Kinda shocked Dan didn't vote for BAHSTAHN RAHDKNEE, as it would've been VERY interesting to see how the revote would've gone

I definitely want Rodney to be a juror so he can ask all the finalists why they didn't give up their rewards for him, particularly on his birthday.

I want Mike to be a finalist so Dan can lay into him for having the unmitigated gall and unprecedented cruelty to keep everyone from getting their love letters from home. I believe Dan actually thinks that happened.

I want Will in the final three so Shirrin can tell him why he isn't getting a single vote.

I'm looking forward to record breaking, illogical bitterness.

You want a BITTER jury giving Jeff the win? #ProbstNeverGotVotedOUt :P

• Love 3

Kinda shocked Dan didn't vote for BAHSTAHN RAHDKNEE, as it would've been VERY interesting to see how the revote would've gone

Damn!! If Mike and Carolyn had split votes between Rodney and Dan, and Dan had already used his extra vote... it would have indeed been interesting to see the revote. As well as the shocked looks on Rodney's face that someone would dare vote for him, so close on the heels of his birthday. LOL

• Love 7
(edited)

The editing was the real star of this episode.  It created all kinds of drama out of nothing. 

First, those melons were clearly planted by production.  Perhaps there was concern about someone's blood sugar levels or something.  But those two melons didn't simply bloom right out there on their own in the open like that. 

At the IC, there is no way Probst could give that blow by blow given the set-up.  The players were too far apart and the movement of the board would periodically block his vision when standing directly in front of the player.  I would not be surprised to learn that the entire tension between Mike and Sierra was completely fabricated.  Clearly, the voiceover was edited in later.  It may have been the case that Mike was as far ahead as he appeared to us, but they wanted to create more drama.  I don't really blame them for it.  It was compelling TV. 

I don't think Mike or Dan had an effect on Carolyn's decision to play her idol either.  She mentioned earlier in the episode that she was hoping to save it to get to the final 4, but she might have to use it.  Based upon the editing, there is no reason to believe Carolyn does not recognize she's the biggest threat after Mike (not Dan).  Indeed, despite most of these people not being terribly bright, they have all played a very rational game.  I don't think one could argue with any of the boots or the order in which they occurred.

I don't think it's fair to blame others for Sierra's willingness to fold so quickly on the fixin's in the reward challenge.  Yes, it sucks that women sometimes have to deal with the dismissiveness of men.  But it's her decision whether to resist or accede.  She neither likes nor respects Dan, so why would she place such value in his opinion?  However, if she told Dan Will was thinking of voting for him, that was the smartest move she's made in this game.  It moved her up from GOAT #4 to GOAT #3 and likely into the winner's seat if she can withstand Mike and Carolyn.  Smart move.  And, as someone perceptively pointed out, this ouster of Dan solidified Rodney's and Will's inability to win this game. 

As for the scene between C and Sierra re Mike being Wacko- each was deflecting to that theme to avoid outing herself to the other.  Sierra knew Mike told the truth about it being Carolyn and all she could think of to say is, Mike's nuts.  Carolyn agreed because she didn't want Sierra to know she had been speaking to Mike. 

Order of potential winners:  Mike, Carolyn, Sierra, Rodney, Will. 

Edited by BarneySays
  • Love 3

I'm as glad as anyone the Dan's out (except for having to see him at Ponderosa).  But is it fair to have the double vote be announced before the call for hidden idols?  Or did Dan jump the gun?  If they are going to keep having both of them, they need to figure that out.

I'm as glad as anyone the Dan's out (except for having to see him at Ponderosa).  But is it fair to have the double vote be announced before the call for hidden idols?

Dan got voted out so I would say, "yes". 

• Love 9

Right now you have Rodney / Sierra / Will remaining as an alliance, each thinking the other two are their goats.  (and really, who can argue with them about that?)   They will not defect to Mike / Carolyn, as that would be a losing move in their eyes.   I predict Mike wins IC and Carolyn goes.  Then you have 4.   If Mike also wins that IC (which is what I assume as well) then it's a tossup for him.  Which goat is the lesser of the three?   Then it's over.  I usually don't watch the reunion, but I'm definitely making sure I don't even catch a whiff of this one. 

(edited)

In the recent Parade interview Jeff says Rodney has a chance at winning.  He says he's shown strategy and is a good talker.  Hm.  He says Will and Sierra are the ones that he thinks are the goats (essentially).  

Carolyn has a very good shot at winning, if she gets to the end. It would certainly be helped by who she goes to the end with. If Mike or Rodney make it to the end, Carolyn’s job is tougher. If she can get to the end with Will and Sierra, I think her job is easier.

I think Rodney can surprise a lot of people if he can get to the end with a speech that might make you go, “Oh my god, I actually forgot what a game you’ve played, because you’ve been your own worst enemy.” If anyone can turn a jury with their gift of gab, it would be Rodney.

He’s a hustler, Jeff.

He’s a hustler! He is! If Rodney makes it to the end, he would certainly have my consideration, because of how he got there.

Edited by Guest