Type keyword(s) to search

Supergirl Scheduling and Ratings: Circulation Audits

• Start Topic

I hate to say it, but they don't care about measuring the popularity or worth of a show; what they care about measuring is how many people actually watch the commercials within the show. I saw the Nielsen people-meter FAQ online, and their boxes actually listen to the audio in the room, so they know if you fast-forwarded the ads or not.

And isn't THAT creepy?  Fearing spying via your PC webcam is bad enough already. But you have to AGREE to this one.

Is the small stipend they pay (apparently just a few hundred dollars per year) really worth THAT?

Supergirl got an additional 7 episodes, to bring the season total to 20.

A back 7 vs. a back 9?

What an odd hair to split. If they're going for that many I actually don't understand not going the extra two.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

A back 7 vs. a back 9?

What an odd hair to split. If they're going for that many I actually don't understand not going the extra two.

Yeah, I agree.  Outside of the show being on more shaky ground than I had thought, it's most likely that the show's just that expensive to produce, and this may be the range that they limit it to if CBS does give it a second season.

The show started so late, a month after everything else, maybe that's all they could fit into the schedule.

If they want to know  how many people watch the commercials, they should look at the on-line viewing.  Unlike watching it in real time on my TV when I can channel flip, there is no way I can skip through those damn commercials on-line.

Edited by statsgirl

After the show returns with Episode 9 on January 4, it will take a week off with a rerun of "How Does She Do It?" on the 11th, returning with a new episode on the 18th.  I assume that's at least partly due to the 11th being the night of the NCAA Football Championship game, as CBS has punted the entire night with reruns.

After the show returns with Episode 9 on January 4, it will take a week off with a rerun of "How Does She Do It?" on the 11th, returning with a new episode on the 18th.  I assume that's at least partly due to the 11th being the night of the NCAA Football Championship game, as CBS has punted the entire night with reruns.

Did you think we would not see what you did there?  :-P

• Love 3

And they wonder why people find 'alternative' means.

Although to be fair when they do air the same week as the US they get complaints when there are breaks all over the place.

Edited by jaytee1812

Upcoming episode schedule (episode titles spoiler-tagged where they give plot points away):

• Jan 18: Episode 10, “Childish Things”
  • Jan 25: Episode 11, “Strange Visitor From Another Planet”
  • Feb 1: Episode 12,

“Bizarro”

• Episode 14 will be Feb. 22, so either the 8th or the 15th will be skipped.

Be aware the Feb. 1 (and some of the other episodes) might get time-shifted a little because of the Iowa caucus results. 

It might be a scroll, or they might just pre-empt the show instead of time shifting, but if you have room on your DVR, plan accordingly.

No new episode this week; but CBS is playing a reruns of The Big Bang Theory in the timeslot. That doesn't seem encouraging.

Next new episode is March 14th: "Falling".

Even though it's not doing as well as they want, it's still one of the best-rated new shows (for CBS), so I'm not worried about getting a Season 2.

Season 3, however....

This show would fit much better on CW. If CBS eventually cans it I hope they pick it up.

That's what I think will happen. I give it another season, maaaaybe two, and then I can see it jumping over to the CW.

The problem is that the CW already has three Berlanti superhero shows:  Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.  I doubt they would want to add a fourth and be known as the teen angst/superhero channel.

The problem is that the CW already has three Berlanti superhero shows:  Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.  I doubt they would want to add a fourth and be known as the teen angst/superhero channel.

They probably will have four with the Archie comic adaptation. I think that pilot will be picked up. 

Pretty soon the CW will belong to Berlanti! lol

That's what I think will happen. I give it another season, maaaaybe two, and then I can see it jumping over to the CW.

I'm not sure about that, tbh.  Looking at the most recent numbers for Flash, the highest-rated CW show, and Supergirl had Flash getting a 1.4 in the demo with 3.8 million viewers, and Supergirl, on a low-rated outing this past Monday, got a 1.3 but 6.5 million total viewers.  I think CBS is more willing to program for and sell viewers outside the core demo, while the CW is narrowcasting to 18-35 in particular, and my hunch is that Supergirl is sold as "family viewing," aka tweens and teens on the one side and their parents in the upper reaches of 18-49 (or even higher) on the other.

• Love 2

That's a good point about family viewing. Other than the comedies, CBS is full of NCIS, Hawaii-50, Criminal Minds, Red, etc. violent shows that really shouldn't be seen by pre-teens.  (I don't think preteens should watch Blue Bloods either but that's more about its vaules.)

That is a bit disappointing. For it to just drop back down to a series low right after to big crossover isn't very good. I don't think it's in danger of not getting a second season, but that is a bit disheartening that the show couldn't hold some of those viewers that tuned in for the crossover. 

the two week break probably hurt it too. 

• Love 3

no adjustments were made. 

Season 2 is pretty much a lock but is it possible they could reduce the episode order to only 13 with a possibility for more if the ratings are okay? Or move it to a different night? 

I thought the reason CBS wanted this show was so that it could help bring a younger demo. It's not really doing that any better than some of CBS's other shows so that has to be a little disappointing for CBS. 

Honestly, CBS *has* to be disappointed with this show. It's super expensive, they promoted the crap out of it, it's supposed to be their family-friendly show, and it's got the superhero thing going. No way expectations weren't much higher than what it's achieving right now. But then, CBS has to be disappointed with ALL their rookie shows this year. Supergirl pretty much leads the rookie shows in averaging a 1.3 over the past few weeks...which is just sad.

I think it will get a full-season order, but would not be totally surprised if it doesn't. A lot rides on the WB-CBS negotiations. If Supergirl wasn't a WB show I think 22 would be guaranteed, but CBS has been pretty vocal about wanting to move to home-owned content and have canceled several WB shows that have (sometimes vastly) outperformed CBS shows. So I'm not sure how much being at the head of a crappy rookie class counts for. But I do still think it will get a full season order, for ego's sake if nothing else. S3 will depend on next season's ratings and how bad other CBS shows crash and burn.

I'm not sure I see Supergirl moving...imo the only other real possibility is Sundays at 8pm. Though that might be a real possibility. They're not moving NCIS or Big Bang or Survivor, and I think TAR is probably a better lead-in for 5-O and BB. Sundays at 8 might make more sense as counter-programming for OUAT, because CBS Sundays are generally dead anyway, and because CBS has liked having a female-heavy Sunday lineup in recent years. TGW is leaving but Supergirl would fill that void.

• Love 1

That's the only thing that is really concerning to me. Supergirl is not owned by CBS so I think that might be a huge strike against it. 

I definitely am predicting another Flash (or Arrow) crossover in season 2, and probably very early into season 2. I won't be surprised if the Flash pays another visit to National City within the first five episodes of Supergirl's 2nd season. The crossover episode was most certainly an attempt to improve ratings. Something I don't think the producers were expecting they would need to do in Supergirl's first season. Initially they said there would be no crossover episodes, but I think the lackluster ratings performance caused them to have a change of heart. 

Honestly, I doubt they'll change the writing very much; I think they're hitting the spot they're aiming for, which is, for lack of a better word, juvenile (and I don't mean that as a pejorative).  They're concentrating on making a show that parents can watch with their tween/middle school daughters and sons, and if it doesn't work for some folks not in that bracket, who might be looking for more serious drama or darker or heavier fare, I don't think they care

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree that they're clearly aiming for a tween-oriented show, but at the same time...the ratings are pretty bad at this point, and everyone universally points to the writing as the reason the show has just tumbled in the ratings. It's hard to see them getting more than S2 unless the ratings tick up. So I'm kind of like, do they want to write a tween show, or do they want to stay on the air longer?

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree that they're clearly aiming for a tween-oriented show, but at the same time...the ratings are pretty bad at this point, 

No they aren't.

Scripted show ratings are down--sharply across the board--for ALL network TV this year. The bottom fell out for them all at once, seemingly. Supergirl's "fall" during this period has not been notably worse than any other show's.

Supergirl ranks #8 in terms of CBS' scripted shows in terms of the one counter they still (slightly) trust... the 18-49 demographic rating. Many shows with lower scores were renewed. Elementary, for example, ranks #21 on that same list in terms of that demo score and got renewed. And Elementary isn't up against Dancing With the Stars and The Voice. NCIS: Los Angeles ranks #15 and got renewed. Blue Bloods ranks #17, Madam Secretary #18 and Hawaii-Five-O #19 and... they all got renewed.

The main thorn in Supergirl's side is probably Scorpion. Somehow that super-dumb piece of shit is also up against the same shows (DWTS and The Voice) and getting higher ratings (it's #5 on the list). So if anyone at the network is looking down on Supergirl's ratings it may be because of that. Also, inevitably, the network may look at the silly (and lets face it... cheaper to make) sitcoms that slot into Supergirl's timeslot now that it's off the air and notice better ratings (EDIT - Or not... I just looked and as a pattern this year and Mike & Molly and 2 Broke Girls have been doing worse 18-49 demo numbers than Supergirl, even though The Big Bang Theory hasn't been). But if they react like Supergirl's ratings are "bad" because of that, the grain of salt present is mostly that it's an expensive show and they no doubt expect more for the investment.

One more comparison: In another thread here a poster was on a tear about how badly Blindspot on NBC had fallen in the ratings. The same kind of demographic data as I'm alluding to here shows that wasn't true either--Blindspot is in the #1 position on NBC's own version of these 18-49 demo charts for scripted shows. Over all of the "Chicago" shows too (and everyone calls them "hits").

In total viewership numbers though, Blindspot only averaged out around 7.3 million viewers.  Supergirl, to compare, had an average of 7.68 million. But again, in practice the advertisers (and thus the networks) only care about the fact that Blindspot got a 1.97 18-49 demo score. And Supergirl a 1.68. Elementary, by the way?  A 0.99 18-49 demo score. So really... it's getting hard to say why anyone renews anything, or even calls anything a hit or a miss... other than maybe how expensive it is, and perhaps if the network owns a piece of the show. I suppose it's possible though that after YEARS of only caring about the 18-49 demo, the pendulum has swung the other way and now the total viewership numbers are counting more again. But even in that case, while Supergirl takes a nosedive (from #8 among CBS' scripted shows down to #14), it apparently STILL did better than shows like Mike & Molly and 2 Broke Girls--and Elementary, and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders and CSI: Cyber. And other than the first two of those none of those shows was up against DWTS and The Voice.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
Scripted show ratings are down--sharply across the board--for ALL network TV this year. The bottom fell out for them all at once, seemingly. Supergirl's "fall" during this period has not been notably worse than any other show's.

This season? Sure it has been. Supergirl premiered to a 3.2. It was down to a 1.3 by the end of the season (actually a 1.28 in the unroundeds). That's terrible. No matter how you cut it, losing 2 demo points in a season is hard viewer rejection. I agree that TV ratings are down across the board this season, particularly in the last few weeks, but that doesn't account for the show losing 2 demo points in the whole damn season. It did that all on its own. And if we look more recently: the last 5 weeks have had the show hitting 1.31, 1.29, 1.71 (The Flash crossover), 1.33, and 1.28. If we take out the Flash crossover, which was obviously inflated, that is easily the second-worst of CBS' 8pm scripted shows, beating only Madame Secretary, which is...nothing to write home about. (Supergirl is being handily whomped by Survivor, to boot.) Heck, over the last few weeks, the show's been beaten by almost all of CBS' scripted 9pm shows. The only ones it's beaten are TGW, also on Sunday night (which is just a dumpster fire for CBS), and 5-O, on Fridays. You have to go to the 10pm hour to find a non-Sunday or non-Friday show that Supergirl has been on par with or beating over the last few weeks. Sorry, but that's not good. Not when Supergirl has an 8pm slot and is so expensive to make and was so insanely hyped. It's not falling proportionately to everything else. And again, you don't lose 2 demo points in a whole season because of outside factors or whatever. 2 demo points is people watched, they didn't like it, and they dropped it. And everyone agrees that the #1 culprit for people dropping is the writing.

Elementary is also owned by CBS, which Supergirl isn't, and CBS is just going to get Elementary to 100 episodes next season for syndication purposes before they can it anyways. (Also, Elementary is now on Sundays at 10pm, which has been the death slot at CBS for a while. Ratings almost don't matter there, it's where shows go to die.) That Supergirl is a WB show majorly does not work in its favor. CBS has stated publicly they are moving toward owning their own content and have canned several WB shows that have done as well as or better than CBS-owned shows.

Look, I think the show will get a S2 (it's been too hyped, it started too strong, and it does remain, however barely the last few weeks, at the head of a bad rookie class), but if it keeps the same ratings downward trend as it had this season, it's hard to imagine it hitting S3 after that. CBS just won't have the incentive to keep around a fractional show that it doesn't own. They can replace it with a fractional show they DO own and make more money that way. If the show wants to stick around, it can't keep hemorrhaging viewers. It needs to fix its problems.

edited because grammar, arrrrgh.

Edited by stealinghome

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree that they're clearly aiming for a tween-oriented show, but at the same time...the ratings are pretty bad at this point, and everyone universally points to the writing as the reason the show has just tumbled in the ratings. It's hard to see them getting more than S2 unless the ratings tick up. So I'm kind of like, do they want to write a tween show, or do they want to stay on the air longer?

I was going to make a post similar to this one in the s2 wish list thread. I think this show needs to figure out what kind of show it wants to be. Does it want to exclusively be a tween/kids show that families can watch together? With generic characters, predicable plots, and cheesy dialogue? If so, that's totally fine! But then it needs to move to Friday or Sunday nights, and significantly decrease the budget.

If this is NOT the kind of show they want to exclusively be, then yes they should improve on the writing for season 2.

My concern is where the show will be when season 2 premieres. It needs to premiere with better demo numbers than a 1.3. I'd love to see it rise back up to around a 1.7, which would allow it room to fall over the course of the season (which I know naturally happens). If it already premieres at around a 1.3, then that doesn't leave it much room to drop through the season.

• Love 2

I was going to make a post similar to this one in the s2 wish list thread. I think this show needs to figure out what kind of show it wants to be. Does it want to exclusively be a tween/kids show that families can watch together? With generic characters, predicable plots, and cheesy dialogue? If so, that's totally fine! But then it needs to move to Friday or Sunday nights, and significantly decrease the budget.

So much this! If you want to be the new Hercules or Xena, by all means, go for it. I loved those shows as a kid! But then you don't get to take up a prime Monday night slot and have a huge budget. No more "this was the most expensive pilot ever filmed."

My concern with slashing the budget is that it might make them think about dropping Calista Flockhart, as I can't imagine she comes cheap, and that would significantly decrease the appeal of the show imo.

My concern is where the show will be when season 2 premieres. It needs to premiere with better demo numbers than a 1.3. I'd love to see it rise back up to around a 1.7, which would allow it room to fall over the course of the season (which I know naturally happens). If it already premieres at around a 1.3, then that doesn't leave it much room to drop through the season.

Assuming it stays on Monday night, I'm guessing S2 will premiere to a 1.5-1.6. So the show will have wiggle room to fall, but not a ton. I think you have to hope that it bottomed out at the end of S1 and it doesn't lose the diehards over the summer.

Honestly, moving the show to Sunday nights might not be a bad thing insofar as expectations would be much lower. But then, Sunday is such a syndication factory farm for CBS, I'm not sure they'd want to take up a Sunday slot on a new show right now.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1
On April 25, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Kendra said:

Kendra, you were prophetic! Guess the answer was to change networks.

Man, CBS ain't messing around with clearing out WB shows unless they're mega-hits and remain so all the way through. 

(edited)

So, with Supergirl's move to The CW, anyone have a guess as to what day of the week it will air? Or when because as I understand it The CW renewed everything in it's current line-up so when the heck (season or day of the week) would Supergirl air?

Edited by regularlyleaded

So it's staying at 8pm Mondays; that should somewhat help with any confusion about the network change.

----

I wonder if there's any way CW could air the reruns of the first season over the summer?

• Love 1
On 5/25/2016 at 6:44 PM, Trini said:

So it's staying at 8pm Mondays; that should somewhat help with any confusion about the network change.

----

I wonder if there's any way CW could air the reruns of the first season over the summer?

Oh I wish they would! I really miss networks airing repeats over the summer. I'd at least get to watch the episodes I missed.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2016 at 8:36 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh I wish they would! I really miss networks airing repeats over the summer. I'd at least get to watch the episodes I missed.

The CW does that; in fact they just started repeating of S2 of The Flash this past week, probably timed to go right up until the S3 premiere.  It would be eminently logical for them to do that with Supergirl to introduce the network's viewers to the show, but then most CW viewers are probably familiar with it anyway.  There would be a contractual obstacle in repeating a show from another network but that could be resolved if all parties were willing, and CBS didn't charge some unreasonable fee (which they probably would). 

Oh, and I'm with you, I would l Iove for them to re-run it, even though I DVRed  the whole season and still have it saved.  :) 

• Love 1