Type keyword(s) to search

Grandfathered - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A falcon isn't even that big of a bird. These people might not like children but they are in the hospitality industry they can get everything on a moment's notice it didn't occur to tell anyone of the vendors that it was a party for a two year old? Also, a two year old doesn't care or will ever remember who was present at her party.

Yeah, Jimmy had nothing to learn in this episode. The first part with missing the party wasn't good, but as soon as the brother was leading the kids in the "deadbeat" song--just, nope. That was awful, and it is awful that Sara didn't say anything until Jimmy forced her hand. I can't believe Jimmy went along with it; honestly, he has very little to apologize for.

• Love 3

And, to make matters worse, it's always the exact same lesson! I don't need or necessarily even want my sitcoms to try to break new ground every week, but after just four episodes I'm already frustrated with just how repetitive this show is.

From the beginning I said the premise of this show is going to wear out very quickly. It's a premise that's much more suited to a 2-hour movie. How do you sustain a situation where Jimmy is learning to be a good dad and a grandfather . . . indefinitely? Instead, both Sara and Gerald seem to expect Jimmy to plug right into a spot of full-time devoted father and family man, while Jimmy has no concept of how to play that role and goes about doing it like he does everything else in his life. It's only been four episodes and already it's getting tedious.

Still, I love the cast and the always get a few chuckles out of the show. I'm just not sure what they can do to fix it.

• Love 2

I still enjoy all the characters, and all this episode proved was that Sara was probably right not to tell him. He wasn't cut out to be a father, as he conceded. He couldn't even show up to kid's birthday party on time or throw a party that considered for a second what the recipient might like instead of what he would. That has nothing to do with not knowing how to be a father or grandfather. That says he doesn't know how to be someone who's not completely selfish and self-involved, and that type of person doesn't make a good parent. And the idea that, "Oh, he could have learned if he'd had a chaaaaaance"? Please. If he hasn't learned how not to be completely self-absorbed after fifty years on the planet, he was unlikely to learn it twenty years earlier just because he had a kid.

Bad parents are one of my biggest pet peeves. Jimmy's a likeable jerk, but I don't believe for a second that the Jimmy we've been presented with would have been a good parent. If she saved her kid from a childhood of being ignored and forgotten, of afternoons waiting for a parent who couldn't be bothered to pick him up or come to see him, then good for her. Been there. It's not fun.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 3

I still enjoy all the characters, and all this episode proved was that Sara was probably right not to tell him. He wasn't cut out to be a father, as he conceded. He couldn't even show up to kid's birthday party on time or throw a party that considered for a second what the recipient might like instead of what he would. That has nothing to do with not knowing how to be a father or grandfather. That says he doesn't know how to be someone who's not completely selfish and self-involved, and that type of person doesn't make a good parent. And the idea that, "Oh, he could have learned if he'd had a chaaaaaance"? Please. If he hasn't learned how not to be completely self-absorbed after fifty years on the planet, he was unlikely to learn it twenty years earlier just because he had a kid.

Bad parents are one of my biggest pet peeves. Jimmy's a likeable jerk, but I don't believe for a second that the Jimmy we've been presented with would have been a good parent. If she saved her kid from a childhood of being ignored and forgotten, of afternoons waiting for a parent who couldn't be bothered to pick him up or come to see him, then good for her. Been there. It's not fun.

Excellent point.  As Jimmy himself admitted, he probably WOULD have been a "deadbeat" if she had told him.  At the very least, he would probably have denied that he was the father and forced her to haul him into court for a paternity proceeding and a child-support order.  And even then, he'd no doubt have bolted at the first opportunity.  Gerald would have been lucky to have him at all during the first 26 years of his life.

Edited by legaleagle53

I disliked this episode for the same reasons as most everyone else. I'm tiring of Gerald's desperation too - not a good look on him. Some of the jokes are just too easy - everyone knows who Big Bird is, that fell completely flat.

• Love 1

Excellent point.  As Jimmy himself admitted, he probably WOULD have been a "deadbeat" if she had told him.  At the very least, he would probably have denied that he was the father and forced her to haul him into court for a paternity proceeding and a child-support order.  And even then, he'd no doubt have bolted at the first opportunity.  Gerald would have been lucky to have him at all during the first 26 years of his life.

This sounds nothing remotely like how Jimmy has been presented. I am not suggesting that he would have been a crazy awesome partner or hands on father but the show has illustrated through his restaurant family that he is loyal, kind, clueless, loving, driven and self absorbed. If he knew about Gerald (he would probably have suggested a better name) might have been only the "fun" parent but he was never given the chance and that is what annoys me.

• Love 5

He would have had 25 years by now to learn how to be a decent dad. Instead he's spent the last 25 years as a swinging bachelor with no responsibilities to anyone but his employees. I don't think it's fair to say what he might be like now had he known about Gerald from the start based on how he's behaving now having just found out he exists a few weeks ago.

• Love 4

This show was featured on Bravo' s delightful People's Couch (people sitting on coaches committing on tv, it's delightful! Stop judging me).

I love The People's Couch.  I actually started watching Crisley Knows Best (don't judge me!) because of The People's Couch.

When Gerald can't make it in time for Edie's interview at the most elite pre-school in the area, Jimmy steps in to help out. But once he meets the admissions counselor, he accidentally starts a lie that takes on a life of its own.

I really didn't love the bit with the Russian preschool ("Single mothers are too busy to care where they leave their children and dump them anywhere, ha ha!" Ummm...no.) which seemed really classist and tacky, and the opening scene with Jimmy and the baby seat was too aggravating to be amusing (geez, he can be terrible), but fortunately the show still has a lot of charm and there were some legitimately funny parts, which helped carry it past the rough spots.

• Love 1

I'm so confused.  Did the show get all new writers?  In the beginning, Jimmy was wonderful, with an occasional slip. 

Now he's a dick, with an occasional redemption.

(John Stamos still has incredible rapport with the baby, though, which is sweet.)

• Love 2

I loved the part where they messed up Jimmy's apartment to show a kid lives there. Throwing the Cheetos in the air was a master stroke!

And I think I would watch this show just to see Jimmy and Edie together. They are sooo frickin' cute!

It's LA in 2015 being a gay or lesbian couple isn't going to shoot you to the top of a list for diversity. Also, how exactly did Gerald and what's her name think they were going to pay for what had to be a crazy expensive preschool?

• Love 1

Also, how exactly did Gerald and what's her name think they were going to pay for what had to be a crazy expensive preschool?

That was the first thing I thought of too.  Also the fact that I really hate what's her name more each week, she's not likeable in any way for me and her "mama bear" mode just isn't believable.  At this point I'm watching only because 1/2 hour of Stamos on my TV each week is A-OK with me.

• Love 1
Also the fact that I really hate what's her name more each week, she's not likeable in any way for me and her "mama bear" mode just isn't believable

It's Vanessa, though maybe she won't be on long enough for us to need to remember it?! (That's a totally baseless comment, by the way...just wishful thinking!) I've rapidly gone from mild annoyance with her in the first couple of episodes to finding her borderline insufferable. I guess they're going for someone adorably sassy and stylish and tell-it-like-it-is or something, but she just comes off like a vain, vapid, obnoxious ditz to me, and not in a funny or entertaining way. And Gerald panting after her automatically makes him less enjoyable and interesting to me. I actually think the character and the show would be more interesting if he regretted his short-lived whatever-it-was with her rather than being so inexplicably enamored with her despite her seeming indifferent in return. (Speaking of which, did anyone see the episode description for next week yet?! I'm already worried!) 

I also agree with whoever pointed out after last episode (or was it the episode before? They're all so similar hat they kind of run together for me!) that the narrow premise leaves them little choice other than to regress Jimmy at the beginning of every new episode, only to have him learn the exact same lesson by the end of it. 

I guess it's nice that in this one Sara briefly questioned her own parenting choices rather than just putting down the admittedly often annoying Jimmy  at every turn and then acting shocked all over again when he turns out to be a decent human being after all, but I still don't have a real grasp of her character, which is a shame because I adore Paget Brewster and want to love everyone she plays! 

I loved the part where they messed up Jimmy's apartment to show a kid lives there. Throwing the Cheetos in the air was a master stroke!

Except that someone so obsessed with getting their kid into an elite pre-school (and rich enough to afford it) would probably have an immaculate apartment or house, especially when "inspectors" from said school are coming by to interview them.

I thought the episode was cute, and I especially liked how well rehearsed Jimmy and Gerald were that they were able to answer the questions in unison. Unfortunately, I have seen this same story (pretending to be gay to get into an elite pre-school) played out on other shows, most recently on Cougar Town. And as someone above pointed out, I don't really believe some elitist, expensive pre-school prioritizes gay couples for their "diversity." In fact I'd question whether such a school would value or even allow "diversity" in the first place.

This episode was so uneven for me. I laughed more than normal, but a lot of stuff was aggravating too. I still think this show's greatest asset is the relationship between Jimmy and Edie and I felt Edie had so much more personality here.

In episode 1 I liked Vanessa because she was over-the-top, but she actually seemed more interesting. Now she's getting really annoying because she does the same thing every week. Sarah was much better though.

In terms of the plot, it's way overdone and this was very predictable but I did like some moments. I hate plots about elite preschools though. It's so far from my own financial situation, it's very unrelatable.

I find Annelise too much though, she always has a sour expression on her face, I much prefer Ravi.

I also agree with whoever pointed out after last episode (or was it the episode before? They're all so similar hat they kind of run together for me!) that the narrow premise leaves them little choice other than to regress Jimmy at the beginning of every new episode, only to have him learn the exact same lesson by the end of it.

The problem is, it doesn't have to be the same set up each episode... Jimmy does something selfish, Jimmy learns a lesson. There's plenty to be mined in general from being a first time grandparent. He missed all of Gerald's firsts, there's plenty of firsts with Edie. He'll have his own first family Thanksgiving and family Christmas. He could go crazy for her Christmas presents. 

I actually think the character and the show would be more interesting if he regretted his short-lived whatever-it-was with her rather than being so inexplicably enamored with her despite her seeming indifferent in return. (Speaking of which, did anyone see the episode description for next week yet?! I'm already worried!)

I didn't see the description but  I do agree with you on the character. The show would be stronger without Gerald pining for Vanessa. I think my preference would be just normal coparents - not hateful to each other but not with him in love with her either.  Trying to navigate how the rules work.  

• Love 1

The problem is, it doesn't have to be the same set up each episode... Jimmy does something selfish, Jimmy learns a lesson. There's plenty to be mined in general from being a first time grandparent. He missed all of Gerald's firsts, there's plenty of firsts with Edie. He'll have his own first family Thanksgiving and family Christmas. He could go crazy for her Christmas presents. 

I didn't see the description but  I do agree with you on the character. The show would be stronger without Gerald pining for Vanessa. I think my preference would be just normal coparents - not hateful to each other but not with him in love with her either.  Trying to navigate how the rules work.  

Right -- sort like what Gerald's parents are doing. They're not in love with each other and are putting up with each other mainly for Gerald and Edie's sakes, although it's clear that there are some residual underlying feelings there that neither will admit to having.  They're trying to figure out the least awkward way of working around that to be parents and grandparents -- and Jimmy is still coming to grips with the fact that his Peter Pan days are over.  His facial expressions when the hot day care admissions worker was going on about how so many straight men Jimmy's age desperately cling to whatever illusions of youth and hipness they can showed that she had clearly struck a nerve with him.

It was a fun twist on the typical "we have to pretend to be gay" routine. I thought it worked, especially when they tried to get them to kiss.

I got interrupted and missed a little bit in the middle of the episode, but were they actually trying to get preferential treatment by pretending to be gay? Or just keep up the charade that they inadvertently got wrapped into when Jimmy was hitting on the woman? I thought it was the latter.

The baby-proofed apartment was great.

They pretended to be gay because she implied that Edie didn't have a chance of getting in at first then when she thought they were gay they shot up the list immediately to a home visit with the head of the school.

And as someone above pointed out, I don't really believe some elitist, expensive pre-school prioritizes gay couples for their "diversity." In fact I'd question whether such a school would value or even allow "diversity" in the first place.

I don't know, elite California preschools say Berkeley-style Far Left administrators and staff to me. They'd be more likely to disallow parents based on their carbon footprint than their sexuality.

His facial expressions when the hot day care admissions worker was going on about how so many straight men Jimmy's age desperately cling to whatever illusions of youth and hipness they can showed that she had clearly struck a nerve with him.

I really had to laugh at the idiocy of that statement. Suuuuure, middle-aged gay men with looks and money are FAR more accepting of aging than their straight counterparts. Great deduction there, Irene Adler!

• Love 1

I think this was my favorite episode. Jimmy and Edie are so sweet and funny together. Gerald continues to be as sweet and clueless as usual. The scene with him with the kitchen staff was hilarious.

I like that Jimmy didn't really regress at all in this episode. And while him and Sara reconnecting is kind of expected, I like that she keeps him grounded. I like that he's a real person in his presence and I love that she doesn't let him be fake with her because she knows who he really is.

Edited by blugirlami21

I think I just need to walk away from the show because I really hate Sara not telling him about his kid and can't get over it. Perhaps he would know your phone number if you had told him about his kid before cell phones, email and other means of quick communication were ubiquitous but you didn't so he just has your number stored in his phone because he has never actually had to dial it. Hell some of my friends who are parents of young kids write their partners phone numbers and stash it in their wallets for emergencies because it's not committed to memory because they have never had to dial it, it's just on their phones!

I also don't think the characters have much chemistry and when they tell stories like the Rambo 3 story it illustrates that they were together a fairly long time and had a relationship. Being young, flaky and superficial isn't a good excuse for not telling someone about their child that you brought to term and actually exists.

I read so many reviews about how the writers were smart and just showed Jimmy accepting his new family without arguing or a DNA test, etc. But no one mentioned the problem with Paget's character being so resentful of Jimmy when she willfully kept him in the dark.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

For me, Sara is dragging this show down. I don't like her attitude towards Jimmy and really she raised a nerd. Gerald has issues. I'm still trying to figure out how he ever was able to hook up with the hot Latina in the first place.  I love everything about John Stamos so I will continue to watch, though. 

I loved all the weird callbacks to John Stamos's past career.  The dog's name was "Blackie" shout out to his General Hospital days when he played a character named Blackie.  Dave Coulier, from Full House, in the therapy room. I'm sure there were others that I didn't catch. 

• Love 6
and really she raised a nerd. Gerald has issues. I'm still trying to figure out how he ever was able to hook up with the hot Latina in the first place.

Sara raised a nerd? Oh, no, how horrible! That's every mother's worst nightmare! 

Seriously, I find Gerald sweet and down to earth, and actually the show's most endearing character even though IMO he really needs to get over grating, arrogant, vapid Vanessa. 

I don't care even the slightest bit about Sara and Jimmy as a couple. I feel like each brings out the least likable sides of the other other's character for me and don't even see any genuine affection or connection between them at all. I wish I cared about them, but I just really can't bring myself to. I like Jimmy around Edie and sometimes Gerald and am still waiting to like Sara or even have a better grasp of who her character is supposed to be. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3

Damn, when Gerald started playing "Eternal flame" it got stuck in my head for an hour. Then when I was finally over it, they played the same song on Scream Queens! Get out of my head, Bangles!

I thought it was kind of dumb that Gerald and Vanessa decided not to try being in a relationship because they had a kid. I mean, if you never give a real relationship a try because it might end badly, you'll never have a relationship at all, and clearly both were interested in pursuing one. Kind of a contrived way to keep the "will they or won't they" thing going forever. 

This show is really bad. After hitting us over the head with how much of a player Jimmy is, suddenly he needs Sara's help getting a second date? This is really a thankless role for Paget Brewster, Sara is so unlikable.

Maybe it's because I never watched Full House, but I'm not even charmed by Jimmy and Edie. And nitpick, but how did they come up with the names Gerald and Edie, in their 1940's time machine? Those aren't even old fashioned names that are coming back, they are just old fashioned names.

I thought the crazy bartender saying that Jimmy called her Amal in 1995 was funny but by the end of the episode they ran the "Amal" thing down.

Sarah thought that girl would be a good fit for Gerald? Really? She looked about 10yrs older than him with a PHD and he doesn't seem like the maturest 20something single dad... Being set up by his mom. He's sweet sure, but they made her out to seem too out of his league.

I barely know any cell phone numbers. House numbers I still know from when all my calls were done on landlines so Sarah's little "you don't know my number we have a kid!" like they've actually been in contact for a significant amount of time was ridiculous and another example of Sarah thinking everything is about her.

I'm getting soft in my late 20s because I found the opening with Jimmy and Edie very very cute. Dave popping up and the dog being named Blackie was neat.

Edited by Gigi43

I can't with Gerald and Vanessa. They have no chemistry, no shared interests besides Edie, and they idolize a high school relationship?

I also have to agree Sarah's coworker and Gerald is an even stranger idea. She's a sophisticated, mature woman and Gerald seems like a child.

Overall, I did like the shift away from blaming Jimmy.

The Leaf was bugging me. They don't need coolant. You are not going to drive it to Palm Springs from LA without a few recharges.

Yeah, when they got in, that car was clean and new looking. It seems like Nissan wouldn't be happy that their product placement conks out when you crank the AC.

Damn, when Gerald started playing "Eternal flame" it got stuck in my head for an hour.

I had just watched Scream Queens before this and they also used that song this week.  Slightly creepy.

Did like the John Stamos past-life references but I do not get the Gerald/Vanessa story. They just don't work together. I think she needs to get a job in the Antarctic and leave for awhile. I would love to see Gerald and Jimmy bacheloring it up.  And more Annalise too. She is a good character with potential but is only being used as the sassy friend who spouts off one-liners.

Sara raised a nerd? Oh, no, how horrible! That's every mother's worst nightmare! 

It is if your nerd son lives in an apartment behind your house because he can't afford to be on his own, has no job, no career goals, no clue about women, and acts like a high school boy just hitting puberty and doesn't know about the importance of condoms. I guess you can tell I don't like Sara and Gerald. Jimmy, the baby and Jimmy's restaurant staff are the reason I keep watching.   

• Love 2

After hitting us over the head with how much of a player Jimmy is, suddenly he needs Sara's help getting a second date?

Well, the point was she was a professional therapist colleague of Sara's that was supposed to be vastly smarter and more substantial than the vapid model types Jimmy apparenty normally wows with flashy-but-transparent tricks. I'm sure he wouldn't have needed her help getting a second date with one of the Kardashians.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

Damn, when Gerald started playing "Eternal flame" it got stuck in my head for an hour. Then when I was finally over it, they played the same song on Scream Queens! Get out of my head, Bangles!

I thought it was kind of dumb that Gerald and Vanessa decided not to try being in a relationship because they had a kid. I mean, if you never give a real relationship a try because it might end badly, you'll never have a relationship at all, and clearly both were interested in pursuing one. Kind of a contrived way to keep the "will they or won't they" thing going forever.

Yes! That scene was horribly written. It made little sense to watch it play out.

Im overall entertained by this show. I love John Stamos so that makes it easy.

Gerald is the big weak link for me. Not sure why, but I'm always taken out of the scene when he's on. I feel like Vanessa should have a hell of a lot better prospects for friends with benefits than him. Not that she's awesome- she's annoying- but if she just wants to get laid there is more than Gerald.

Not to nitpick this to death, though I am, but Sara's lame ass texts wouldn't work in real life (at least on me). I'd be more apt to go on second date because he's just so damn hot than all the "I was cocky and want to make it up" tomfoolery. Weak.

• Love 1

I think my problem with the show is with Jimmy. He's just so immature. I don't find his playboy persona charming. I just find it sad. I was a huge Full House fan, so I really want to like this show because of John Stamos, but it's just not doing it for me. 

I like the Gerald and Vanessa relationship. It makes sense that they would decide not to pursue a relationship because of Edie. I actually thought that was fairly responsible of them. It showed that they wanted to put her first and focus on her right now. I know they'll eventually get together, but Vanessa definitely isn't there yet.

In hopes of helping Gerald score with the ladies, Jimmy takes him out for a swanky night on the town. But when Gerald falls for a party girl, Jimmy fears she may be into Gerald for the wrong reasons. Meanwhile, Vanessa starts a mentorship with Annelise.

Awww Jimmy is really getting into being Gerald's dad. He's usually misguided to start but he really turns it on in the middle. I really thought he was going to describe himself as the hot cool uncle uncle a la full house. Guardian angel fits too.

I love how Annalise wanted to be a soul singer - which I thought seemed so stereotypical - and then she was so horrible at singing.  That really impressed me.

I just really like this show.  I'm not really sure if Christina Milian adds anything, but, eh.

• Love 3