Type keyword(s) to search

Grandfathered - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So second week in and still charming. 

The cold open with Jimmy and the younger woman was spot on. I like how the scene built to its inevitable conclusion.

I am liking the relationship between Jimmy & Ravi & Annalise.  I loved the contest (write me a song!) to be his plus one to Diddy's party that was no contest at all. "It was always going to be Annalise."

Also Annalise's outfit at the party was FAB! And I love how delighted she was to be around all the sexy models and trying to get her groove on.  LOL.

Paget Brewster is great as well.  I am loving how dry and deadpan her line delivery is.

So far all the characters are bringing something different, Jimmy of course is the center of it all navigating through his old care-free bachelor life and this new family and being a grandfather.  Stamos hits all the beats well.

Josh Peck does the sweet puppy really well.  I loved when he went in for the kiss with that guy.  It was that sort of clueless, innocent comedy that works for him.

And finally Christina Milian is perfect as the vapid baby mama who isn't as shallow as she first seems  I admit I laughed when she brought out the knife.  It was just so unexpected.

• Love 5

Aw, I'm still loving this show! I liked lil momma going scorched earth. I thought it was actually sensible that she would possess a weapon. I carried one in my younger days for protection, in addition to pepper spray. Better safe than sorry, you never know when you might have to break a motherfucker off.

Edited by Badsamaritan
  • Love 4

Hopefully we get more about the young parents, because right all I get from both of them is that they love their daughter and they seem to be generally positive people. Which is nice but fairly shallow. I always like Vanessa a little because she seemed to be a very caring attentive mom and generally nice to Gerald. Now she has the makeup thing, which no joke I currently know a young single mom doing the exact same thing. She is no where near the 6 figures Vanessa is aiming for, but is making the same per month as her peers ( most working minimum wage) but working doing it in less hours and gets to stay a home with her adorable kid. If she was more committed and as pretty as Christina Millian I am sure she'd make a lot more, maybe enough to be self sufficient. 

As for Gerald, he seems decently mature, socially capable and smart. Why is he unemployed and whats his plan about that? I'd laugh if she was YouTube and he wanted to be a Twitch star I know another single father who is doing that, but still early stages.

I really love this show, and appreciate how likable all  the characters are.  This was another funny and touching episode, and I really like how Jimmy is adjusting to suddenly being a new father and grandfather.   There was some nice character growth and bonding in this episode, and it seemed very realistic to me.   

I love how goofy and earnest the son character is.   I also really like that he's smart and capable, not just some idiot doufus.  I find him pretty adorable and charming.  I'm surprised at how layered all of the characters are already.  That's pretty impressive three episodes in.

My favorite part of the episode was the bonding/dancing scene - so cute!   But I loved the opening game night scene also, and the end was just perfect, and well... all the stuff in between was pretty great, too.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 3

I found myself bored through this episode.  I personally don't know if this show has enough steam to keep going--I feel like they are already running out of ideas.  I also get tired of John's character and the insistence of acting like a 20-30 year old--as if everyone at his age continues the endless partying, etc.  I want to like it, but I am questioning whether they can move forward with storylines different than what they have had so far.

• Love 2

I like Stamos just because he's, well, Stamos and he's adorable and hot.  I find myself bored with almost everything else.  I really think the son was miscast, or maybe I just don't care for the actor, and I find it annoying when Paget Brewster (can't remember character's name) makes digs about how Jimmy is doing ok for only knowing Gerald for X amount of time (two weeks or whatever it is), but SHE'S been doing the heavy lifting his whole life.  Like Jimmy knew about the kid and rejected his existence.  Excuse me, Paget, YOU are the one that didn't tell him about his own son.  This was played out in Parenthood as well, but at least it was only 5 years until the mom introduced the kid to the unsuspecting dad.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode. Three eps in and I am hooked. It's nice and light and the characters are mostly endearing. 

I was particularly amused by Paget's character's taking that Which Friend Are You test, and how appalled she was to be repeatedly identified as a Ross. 

• Love 8
I found myself bored through this episode.  I personally don't know if this show has enough steam to keep going--I feel like they are already running out of ideas.  I also get tired of John's character and the insistence of acting like a 20-30 year old--as if everyone at his age continues the endless partying, etc.  I want to like it, but I am questioning whether they can move forward with storylines different than what they have had so far.

I actually loved the first two episodes way more than I had been expecting to, but this one had me thinking pretty much everything you wrote here. Is every single episode going to essentially be 'Jimmy tries to maintain his 'cool' lifestyle before learning what TRULY matters...only to forget it at the beginning of the next episode'?! I tend not to enjoy 'drunk humor' as a general rule, though, so maybe I just wasn't going to find this one all that engaging and amusing regardless of whether the storylines/themes had already started to feel repetitive. And while I'm complaining...

Sushi and PonyBoy? Really?! I get that we're supposed to 'ship' them, but I'm just not rooting for them to get together at all. 

The thing with the new bartender was so awkwardly written and paced. I think I know what they were going for, but it just didn't hit any of the right notes for me. 

I'm already rooting for Gerald to get past Vanessa, though I doubt that will ever happen. Vanessa grates on me for some reason, and I'm not a fan of the 'sweet nerdy guy pines after the allegedly cool girl until she finally deigns to go out with him' thing. I'd rather him find a more interesting girl who he has at least a little bit in common with, but I doubt the writers agree :)  

I love Paget Brewster as a general rule but am not really clicking with her character here. I feel like they haven't really decided who she's supposed to be. 

I'm hoping I go back to loving the show next week! 

• Love 2

I guess what I am really enjoying about this show is that Jimmy is a nice guy. He could have been resentful or nasty to Sara, but instead is embracing it wholeheartedly. There are real life Geralds and Jimmys out there, nice guys who really aren't dark. Shows, even comedies, always want to add darkness somewhere.

Not everything has to make you think, not everything has to be serious. Everyone can use a little light hearted fluff after a hard day. I say this as an educated person who could have watched the debates instead. My job is dealing with stressed out people, and it can do a body a world of good just focusing on something happy or light.

Edited by LVmom
  • Love 7

Sushi and PonyBoy? Really?! I get that we're supposed to 'ship' them, but I'm just not rooting for them to get together at all.

OMG, right?  Not at all.  Plus I find it hard to believe that Paget's character would have made Jimmy woo her for months and months before she would agree to go out with him simply based on how physically attracted she still obviously is for him.

I'm already rooting for Gerald to get past Vanessa, though I doubt that will ever happen. Vanessa grates on me for some reason, and I'm not a fan of the 'sweet nerdy guy pines after the allegedly cool girl until she finally deigns to go out with him' thing. I'd rather him find a more interesting girl who he has at least a little bit in common with, but I doubt the writers agree :)

This too.  Vanessa has not grown on me in the least and, even though I don't even like Gerald, it's so obvious that they are a mismatch that I can't believe the show expects us to swoon over them and hope they get together.  And I thought his drone montage was pretty stupid and cringe-inducing and I'm not even "cool" like Vanessa is supposed to be.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode. Three eps in and I am hooked. It's nice and light and the characters are mostly endearing.

I was particularly amused by Paget's character's taking that Which Friend Are You test, and how appalled she was to be repeatedly identified as a Ross.

Which is totally a Ross thing to do (agonize over something like this) because Ross always had to be right.
  • Love 3

I thought last week's episode was a little weak but this one had me smiling all the way through. I find Gerald totally adorkable and even Jimmy can be endearing at times despite his playboy persona. I liked Sara trying to make small talk with the tech support guy in India and doing the Friends test online. The drone thing at the end was funny too. Mostly I'm glad they're not over-doing it with the baby. A scene here, a scene there, that's enough for me. Pretty harmless little show, maybe not groundbreaking but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

• Love 3

I love the song "The Promise" so I found myself tuning out the dialog during that scene. Also loved Paget playing the Friends quiz because that show is where I first remember seeing her and where she "started". I thought this was a cute episode and I liked the father son bonding. I realize it is a slow burn to evolve these characters and am looking forward to it.

I actually am really disliking the relationship between Gerald and his mom.  They are way too codependent.  And for the game at the beginning, it's kind of creepy to have all the clues be so personal, as opposed to normal clues, like this day of the week is bad luck, for Friday the 13th.  And then they made Jimmy feel like he had to do it too.  And it's just not reasonable or normal to act like that.  And the blaming Jimmy for not knowing things like Gerald's favorite song, or whatever, feels really cheap.  It's not his fault, and getting to know someone is not like playing 20 questions.  Just hanging out is also a valid way to get to know someone--in fact, it's in common usage throughout the world!

• Love 3

I liked the second half better than the first but this show is basically Raising Hope + Cougartown for me.

A grown woman who can't figure out how to function without her grown son isn't funny to me, just sad. The restaurant stuff is so divided from the tone of the rest of the episode, it feels like it doesn't belong at all. I also find myself already bored by the predictability of the characters' responses. I did have a couple laughs, but it isn't coming all together for me.

They really need to stop acting like Jimmy is a bad person for not knowing Gerald super well after knowing him less than a month; it almost feels like he stepped into the father role too quickly and happily.

I did like the pepper mill avoidance tactic, though. But yeah, the restaurant is way too separate from the Gerald storylines.

• Love 1

They really need to stop acting like Jimmy is a bad person for not knowing Gerald super well after knowing him less than a month; it almost feels like he stepped into the father role too quickly and happily.

I did like the pepper mill avoidance tactic, though. But yeah, the restaurant is way too separate from the Gerald storylines.

I agree and the more I hear about their past relationship I hate Paget' s character for not telling him that he had a son. I initially assumed it was a drunken one night stand and wished they had gone that direction. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Amen to that. You can't be a deadbeat dad if the fact that you're a father has been hidden from you for a quarter century. Jimmy leapt headfirst into a parental role within the first couple of minutes of meeting his grown-ass son that allegedly never wanted to see him until he needed dating advice for escaping the friend zone. Sara has no grounds to criticize him for not knowing Gerald growing up when that was her fault.

• Love 4
After Jimmy misses Edie's second birthday party, he decides to throw her a big bash at his restaurant to make it up to the family. When Sara's brother shows up, he brings the party to a screeching halt by confronting Jimmy about leaving Sara to raise Gerald on her own.

When Sara's brother shows up, he brings the party to a screeching halt by confronting Jimmy about leaving Sara to raise Gerald on her own.

Do I need to go back and re-watch the first episode again?  I thought that Jimmy had no idea that Gerald existed and that Sara is the real party at fault here for denying him the opportunity to know his son for 24/25 years?  Is that not the case?  If I'm right, WTF?  Where does everyone get off blaming Jimmy for making Sara a single mom?  This part of the show is starting to piss me off.

• Love 1

Liked this better than the second episode. Yeah, maybe it's not breaking new ground, but I like nearly all* the characters and actors and it's sweet. Stamos/Brewster and Ravi/Annelise are good pairings.

*Millian/Vanessa is the weak spot for me, but I don't hate her.

This is a good, quality show and I like it!  It warms my heart!  What a great excuse to use great 80's music.  I have no complaints.

EXCEPT!!!!  ( hahaha I had to) Even though Edie is adorable how are 2 black-haired parents going to produce that kid.  This is rhetorical question.. so that I can vent..... not really looking for posts and posts of "My mom has ?? and my dad has ?? and can you believe I ???"   The kid is really beautiful, but they could have gotten a slightly darker kid.  Come on!  Diversity even matters for babies.  But don't tell Matt Damon

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

This is a good, quality show and I like it!  It warms my heart!  What a great excuse to use great 80's music.  I have no complaints.

EXCEPT!!!!  ( hahaha I had to) Even though Edie is adorable how are 2 black-haired parents going to produce that kid.  This is rhetorical question.. so that I can vent..... not really looking for posts and posts of "My mom has ?? and my dad has ?? and can you believe I ???"   The kid is really beautiful, but they could have gotten a slightly darker kid.  Come on!  Diversity even matters for babies.  But don't tell Matt Damon

This really has nothing to do with the show, but the actress Victoria Rowell is African American with skin color similar to Milan. She is married to a Caucasian man (or at least she was when she had a daughter.) That child was a light skinned blonde. I mean very blonde.

Returning to the show, the mom did concede that She never told Jimmy about Gerald. She also told Jimmy tonight, when he told her about inviting Freddy, she panicked. She had to confess that she had told her family that Jimmy ran out on her when she told them. She admitted that if she told them Jimmy didn't know they'd think she was crazy. That's why Freddy was bitter to him until Sara cleared it with him in a private conversation that we didn't see and then Freddy was all sorry and wanted to hug him.

I think that all her bitterness toward him is that Gerald and he were instant friends after she worked very hard to raise him on her own. She knows she is the one at fault, but she doesn't really know Jimmy and doesn't know that he would have stepped up had she known. She's a little jealous.

but she doesn't really know Jimmy and doesn't know that he would have stepped up had she known. She's a little jealous.

But that's the problem is that it wasn't a one night stand it was a relationship with pictures, nicknames, and road trips, so they did know one another and she owed him at least the chance to step up.

• Love 1

I know that she knew him a while. But she didn't really know him. He did really love her, but he had ambitions and was driven to succeed so he disappointed her a lot. When he skipped out on the concert, I got the impression that's when she decided to dump him. He wasn't a great boyfriend but she never gave him a chance to be a dad. He's not perfect either but I think he's insecure and wants to make a great impression on his son. Thus, he's 2 hours late for the park and has an inappropriate kids birthday party. He wants to be the best but he always comes up short because he really has no idea how to be a dad and have people, other than employees, count on him. He's the boss at work so he has the last word on everything, but in his new found family, he doesn't have that luxury.

I really really love this show. And the people in it.

• Love 1

This episode didn't do Sara any favors. Okay, she didn't tell Jimmy he was a father, and now she apparently lied to her family that he's a deadbeat who left? Yet, she's the one judging left and right and getting mad at him for stuff every week. I would like this show better if she were in it less, or if she were making an effort to be more understanding of his adjusting since it's her fault he's in the position of suddenly having to adjust. He may have been a bad boyfriend but he apparently never made her out to be a terrible person behind her back, and is being more understanding than she deserves.

Sooner rather than later Jimmy needs to introduce Gerard to another woman. His desperation is getting played.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 4

Yeah after watching the episode my strong dislike has turned to hatred.

I don't know what the writers were thinking, I wish it was a one night stand and than she read some profile about his restaurant realized it was him and told Gerald that was his father. He was way too nice and her explanation was not good enough to make me side with her and his forgiveness of her annoyed me.

I wouldn't say I hate Sara because no one person is perfect. I think Jimmy and most people ge knows will acknowledge that Jimmy doesn't always make the best decisions, he's selfish, and that he was even moreso in the past.

I got the impression that he flaked on Sara because he wanted to break up with her. And maybe him not showing up the night she wanted to share the news was an indicator of the future for her. A wake up call if you will.

Should have told Jimmy that she had a baby? Of course but I don't hate her for not telling him. I think she told the lie to her family to save face. I also feel like her brother assumed that Jimmy had abandoned Sara as opposed to Sara outright saying so.

I like the show. I like that there is something for Jimmy to learn week to week but I do weary of him forgetting the lesson from week to week.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

I also really dislike Jimmys character for lying over texts about his actual location, I have a few friends where I have told just say you were you are for certain events are you are being an asshole for doing that, but I felt like the show was trying to weight them as the same and they aren't even close.

Edited by biakbiak

I don't really care at this point she didn't tell him, mainly because his schtick about being "cool" and "irresponsible" is running really old at this point.  He is grown up enough to not be stupid, and either you are going to show up at the girl's party or you are not.  I am losing my patience for this type of storyline every week.

I'm not mad at Sara because Jimmy isn't.  It was a little sad and uncomfortable, but how I did love the farmer with the dead beets song.

I was a little squicked that the child actors were listening and singing along about "deadbeats", but I guess at least they're not covered in blood and doing American Horror Story.

Edited by LVmom

I really wanted to like this show because I love John Stamos, but I hated this episode so very much.  Why does it seem like the inevitable "lesson" that has to be learned every week is by Jimmy.  Sara made some pretty piss-poor decisions early on, too, like not telling the father of her child that he had a child and giving him the opportunity to step up and actually know and raise his own son, but also lying to her family about his knowledge of the child festering years of hatred toward Jimmy.  Then, yes, we get that Jimmy's an irresponsible player.  Well, that's the life he chose based on the fact that he didn't know he had a child and grandchild.  Once he is blindsided with that news, apparently he is supposed to just do a 180 and completely change his entire personality and lifestyle within a couple of weeks to satisfy the premise of the show and the judgy face that we continuously see on both Sara and Gerald.  I like the restaurant employees and scenes and the baby right now and that's about it.  I would like Jimmy more if he stood up for himself and quit feeling guilty about stuff that really wasn't his fault.  And oh my God can we give it a rest with the baby mama threatening to knife someone over some perceived poor treatment of the child.  Really?  Gross.

I have no idea how long I can stick with this.

• Love 5
Why does it seem like the inevitable "lesson" that has to be learned every week is by Jimmy.

And, to make matters worse, it's always the exact same lesson! I don't need or necessarily even want my sitcoms to try to break new ground every week, but after just four episodes I'm already frustrated with just how repetitive this show is. I really liked the first two episodes, but these recent two have left me wondering how much more I want to watch of the same thing week after week. I'm already weary of Jimmy's identical realizations at the end of every single episode, Sara depicted as some sort of victim despite the fact that she chose not to tell this man he had a child, Gerald panting after the annoyingly quasi-cool  Vanessa, etc. At the moment the scenes with the restaurant manager are my favorites, if only by default. 

• Love 2

I really didn't like this episode, as it involved over-the-top selfishness and cowardice from Sara, regression into over-the-top irresponsibility for Jimmy, and way too much time devoted to Sara's creepy mass shooter-in-training brother played by an actor that makes my skin crawl. (Seriously, she was worried about Jimmy being a a part of Gerald's upbringing yet let THAT psycho have free access?) About the only thing I liked was Gerald getting in the chicken costume for Edie's benefit, and even that was a result of him being too naive/stupid to realize that Jimmy obviously wasn't familiar with Big Bird and wouldn't be delivering what he wanted for the party.

• Love 3

Yeah, I liked the first two episodes a lot, only caught some of the third episode, but this episode was....well, I just didn't like it. First off, I was also annoyed at Jimmy lying about where he was. I mean, I liked that it looked like he was getting ready after Sara's text at first. I didn't even mind the shot of him trying to decide which shirt he wanted to wear. But as soon as he started making a smoothie, I was getting annoyed. And then he kept telling Sara he was 'right there'. I don't know; from what we've seen of Jimmy, that seemed a bit out of place. I guess the nostalgia of having a new son and granddaughter could be wearing off, but the message wasn't clear enough.

I also didn't like Sara's actions this episode either. The fact that she outright lied to her family and wanted Jimmy to keep it a secret was frustrating. And the fact that Jimmy finally told her brother didn't help matters. I get that she wanted to save face, and I assume she didn't expect to see Jimmy again or have him be in her life, but once he was, she should have told her family the truth. 

The only things I did like was the cake being wheeled out and then wheeled back in, and Annalise's moments of contemplation. Oh, and I guess Gerard. I like how he went to find Edie a Big Bird costume, found Mister Plucky instead but rolled with it with the kids. Oh, and that woman telling Sara and Jimmy during their fight that they shouldn't be having this conversation in public. And Edie was adorable. But that's all I got.

• Love 3

Jimmy obviously wasn't familiar with Big Bird and wouldn't be delivering what he wanted for the party.

And this in and of itself was hardly believable, what guy Jimmy's age doesn't know who Big Bird is?  It's not like Sesame Street just came along when Gerald was a kid.  Oh, he wants a big bird, let's get a falcon, or whatever it was.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Love 2