Type keyword(s) to search

The Grinder - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Even if the premise is that Stewart will be found to be "right", this storyline has made this show not an actual "sitcom"--I am not sure what they would call it.  If the idea is that the show is supposed to be funny, you can only have storylines that extend out this way if they are pleasant and funny to begin with.  It is one thing if this was a long running sitcom and was trying something new...but when you are still trying to entice viewers you can't bring them into a several episode storyline that many do not find humorous, and hope they will keep watching.

It is one thing if this was a long running sitcom and was trying something new...but when you are still trying to entice viewers you can't bring them into a several episode storyline that many do not find humorous, and hope they will keep watching.

Perhaps they should have started out with "case of the week" shows -- if they needed off-the-wall material, they only had to watch any of the "reality" court shows for inspiration. These could have been interspersed with shows more focused on family life and Dean adjusting to non-celebrity life. A multi-episode arc (with a not particularly engaging storyline) in a new comedy does seem like a questionable choice.

Everything going on with the therapist is truly awful.

This show held such promise but is proving to be disappointing. Sharp dialogue and acting mean nothing if the overall plotlines are off-putting. I'm hopeful these are growing pains and the show will have a chance to redeem itself but I fear it won't be given the chance to do so.

• Love 1

I'm getting a Newhart vibe, with Stewart the sane center of the show, and all the crazy around him. Newhart's wife would usually support him, but every now and then, she'd get caught up in the crazy.

I'm just loving this show. I came for Rob Lowe, but staying for Fred Savage.

• Love 1

The only thing I liked about this episode was that Chad Lowe directed it. If only so I know he's still around and in the business.

Doh!  I knew Chad directed an episode, I didn't realize it was this one.  I am hoping Fred directs one here, I think he can punch up the scenes a bit!

• Love 1

The only thing I liked about this episode was that Chad Lowe directed it. If only so I know he's still around and in the business.

He isn't just directing. He also plays a (apparently recurring) character named Byron (I think 1 of the female characters' fathers) in Pretty Little Liars--&, yes, he directs there (& on other episodic TV, like Life in Pieces & Bones among others) as well. He also directed a couple of episodes of Brothers & Sisters when Rob was on that show.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Last week, I thought "OK, they are setting this up so Stewart will prove himself right and next week it will all come together." Nope. This week I thought the same thing. If it isn't resolved by the next episode, I may bail. I'm okay with Stewart being shit on a bit, but this is too much. Sure, he's annoying at times, but I feel like everyone dismisses anything he says immediately and it's sad. I want more Deb/Stewart bedroom scenes and less everyone-dump-on-Stewart scenes.

I like Maya Rudolph, but unless her character is revealed to be evil and part of this malpractice case, this storyline makes no sense and seems so far-fetched.

And I also like William DeVane, but hate his character. It seems like he actively hates Stewart sometimes. His dismissals of Stewart stands out more to me than the others. I get he worships his famous successful son, but it's way too unbalanced. Would it kill them to have a bonding scene between the 2.

I can only hope that this malpractice story will come to an end and reset some things.

• Love 1

I'm getting a Newhart vibe, with Stewart the sane center of the show, and all the crazy around him. Newhart's wife would usually support him, but every now and then, she'd get caught up in the crazy.

If this whole show ends with Fred Savage waking up in his bed, next to his wife, Winnie Cooper, then I will take back every negative thing I have ever said about this show, ever. 

• Love 8
(edited)

This episode wasn't as aggravating as the last couple, so that was a definite improvement. Hooray!

Not the funniest episode either, though. Got a few chuckles, mostly at the Stewart/Todd interactions (Stewart busting Todd for being at school with Dean and trying to pass him off on Bemis) and Claire admitting she was bad at giving advice after it already backfired on Deb. But on the whole it was more mildly amusing than outright funny.

But at least Jillian's gone! I couldn't tell if Maya Rudolph's reaction in the breakup scene was too over-the-top (presumably on purpose). It was very broad, but I admit, I did laugh. Maybe I was just relieved her terrible storyline was over. (Oh God, it is over, right? Please tell me it's over.)

Not their best episode, but not their worst either.

Edited by TheOtherOne

This was slightly better. But I'm still not liking where it's headed: That now that Dean feels he is the Grinder, he'll be the hero and solve this case. When it's Stewart who did all the work and investigating. I'm afraid he'll just get the metaphorical pat on the head for the work he did.

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but we'll see.

It feels like they've come full circle - Dean was at least trying to move away from his TV character and now they're pulling him in the other direction. My opinion of this show hasn't changed since the pilot - the premise can only play out for so long.

• Love 1

This was much better than the previous two. All the characters were acting like people instead of cartoons.

Hopefully we have a balanced Dean going forward, one who sees the benefits of both approaches. Which is kind of where he was in the around the Thanksgiving epsiode.

The AT&T tech played one of the law students, but I felt like I recognized "Ginger" from somewhere. Neither them or Crista Flanagan (the prof) were credited at the end it looked like.

Julian's gne! Yahoo! Her mugging was funny but from a different show.

Meanwhile Fred savages oh it's all we'll talk about honey to n daughter was hilarious, just the timing.

Double entendre of Keurig not heating up hilarious.

Back to the episode, maybe I'm off base, but I don't trust Maya's character. She crossed the line with that kiss so maybe she is secretly evil and wants to destroy Dean and his family. Maybe even having something to do with the malpractice case.  I hope so, because she is a terrible therapist.

I don't know much about therapist ethics, but doesn't it also cross a line to be counseling two brothers? 

I actually really liked the meta-commentary (if it was intentional, which I think it was) of a show that has run out of ideas and needs to introduce a twist to keep it from spinning its wheels. But they can't just bring in Jason Alexander to mock themselves every time this premise loses steam. I love the cast, particularly Fred Savage, so I hope they find a way to keep this thing going. 

I really enjoyed this one, the best since Maya Rudolph showed up (so maybe her character was the problem...) The show seems to be getting back to being funny instead of aggravating and depressing. Glad to see it.

• Love 2

If this whole show ends with Fred Savage waking up in his bed, next to his wife, Winnie Cooper, then I will take back every negative thing I have ever said about this show, ever.

Yes!!!! That would be awesome!!! Send that idea to the writers...they need some help!

• Love 1

I tried to watch it but found it very boring.  The back and forth between the pre Grinder days and the current, and just his odd behavior overall has just become very non-interesting to me.  I will admit it wasn't quite as aggravating, but I think for me it is too late to save the show for me.

• Love 2

The scene in the bedroom where Stuart tells his wife what's going on is why I like this show. Almost every beat was opposite from what a traditional sitcom would do, and it makes them so much more like a real couple. 

• Love 2

I've loved this entire arc, and i love seeing Jenna Fischer be so mean. 

I'm desperately hoping that she's the one behind it all, in an attempt to show Dean that grinding doesn't work, and to explain her father still really needs a freezer door salesman. 

And I don't see how anyone can't get behind a show that has the actress taking off her brasierre and saying that she only needs the support of justice. This show makes me laugh more consistently than any others. 

• Love 7

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe at the sight of Rob Lowe in the long-haired wig, because there was sort of a Whatever Happened to Baby Jane thing going on there. For those of us who remember when he actually was young and just starting out in movies, seeing him trying to play that was kind of disturbing. Sometimes it's comical when actors do these types of flashback scenes and try to play their teen aged selves, or their selves 20 years ago or whatever. But in the case of Lowe we actually know what he looked like then. Granted, he's aged well, but putting on a shaggy wig doesn't make his face look 20 years younger.

• Love 2

Does anyone have an explanation for the whole, "there are no roles for men in Hollywood, women take all the great roles!" thing? I guess we're supposed to swap men/women and it's just a thinly veiled attack on Hollywood. But I'm wondering if there is something more to it that. Like it's referencing a specific person. This show isn't exactly subtle in its satire, but it usually isn't this shallow.

I was distracted by the woman in the background of the second coffeeshop scene with Dean and his actor buddy who was totally into her phone. Was that really such a big thing back in 2005? I didn't have one then, so don't really remember.

Now I thought the atrocious wig was part of the joke and that it was hilarious. I didn't think they were really trying to make him look 20 years younger at all.

Yes, that was supposed to be the joke - and it generally works when they do that on other shows with actors who weren't famous stars 25 years ago. It's funny because we can tell they obviously aren't younger they're just wearing wigs and funny clothes. But somehow it was more disturbing with Lowe because we really know what he looked like back then. I don't know why.

Does anyone have an explanation for the whole, "there are no roles for men in Hollywood, women take all the great roles!" thing?

Irony. Dean and his friend actually believed that when in fact the opposite is true and a well-known fact in Hollywood that every actress ever has complained about publicly. You could see the female casting director (or whoever she was supposed to be) in the audition giving him the WTF look.

• Love 4

Jenna Fischer!! Funny, another dose of Jenna FIscher and Rob Lowe right before I watch You me and the Apocalypse. Between catching up on Parks n Rec, this show, and YMATA, I have Rob Lowe on screen all the time...

• Love 1

The flashbacks took place in 2005, right? I always envisioned that Dean was a working actor long before the Grinder came around and made him a star. Nothing major, but some supporting roles and a few pilots under his belt. But, apparently he's only been famous for a decade and was a struggling actor before that. 

I hated the wig, because I felt they were trying to make him 20 years younger when it was only 10 and in reality the wig made him look his age.

Fun to see Chris Klein though. I enjoyed him back in his American Pie days.

I wonder if Jenna Fischer will come back as part of this malpractice story as the mastermind. I say this every episode, so maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart but I want some big reveal at some point.

This was the first episode of the series that I didn't like, and I hope they stay away from the past in the future.  This series was a surprise.  I laugh at every episode.  I think Lowe and Savage are very good as brothers.

Edited by atomationage

Loved this episode. We are watching this series as if it's on Netflix, in that it's a whole story told in episodes. It may not be renewed, but it may not need to be renewed. I now think it's genius, and it continues to surprise me--Chris Klein! In 2005! Jenna Fisher, daughter of a freezer door company! Bring it, Grinder.

I would watch any of these actors any time. Come on, networks, pick up their pilots.

• Love 3
And I don't see how anyone can't get behind a show that has the actress taking off her brasierre and saying that she only needs the support of justice.

I think she only needed the support of the United States Constitution.

• Love 1

I think it's ok to counsel two related clients, if they both agree it's ok.  I don't think it's ok to be telling one what the other says without permission, though.  Anyway, it's moot, since the Maya Rudolph character is not supposed to be taken seriously as a professional.

I love Rob Lowe and his Grinder problems, and I loved his realization that he was overdramatizing everything.  This storyline went too quickly.  I think it could have gone on for much longer.  Seems like the entire series is running out of steam.

Stewart and Deb are only ok, to me.  I don't care a lot about them, except inasmuch as they have to deal with Rob Lowe.  Otherwise, it's just any old suburban sitcom.

I can't stand Claire.  I like the idea of a character who is impervious to the Grinder's charms, but this actress does not do it for me.

I usually don't like Maya Rudolph, I just don't think she can act and she doesn't mesh well when she is supposed to be playing a regular (not over the top) part.  I found some of the dialogue funny, though.

I think the therapist story is largely to blame for the problems.  People in the writers' room were not feeling too creative about that, and I am sick of seeing Maya Rudolph act the same way she always does.

Part of my problem with Stewart is that he seems like a responsible guy, sure, but he doesn't seem especially talented in any way.  I don't feel all that sympathetic to him just because life gets chaotic and is not ordered the way he wants, just because - who cares?  However, if there were any stakes involved with having Stewart be right about something, then I might get more on his side.

I've never particularly liked WIlliam Devane (in anything but 24) and I feel he is playing his character pretty broadly here, as usual.

I'm staying for Rob Lowe, but they'd better jettison Maya Rudolph soon and give him someone else to play with.

I thought I was done after last week's horrible episode, and I wish I'd stuck to that. This one was even more painful, just 30 minutes of every character treating Stewart like shit. I hated all these people--the awful father, stupid Dean, the wretched, gross therapist, even Deb and the kids. This episode was excruciating, and I don't think there was a single laugh to be had.

Watching someone--who is obviously right--get shit on by assholes for half an hour? Not for me.

I'm just getting caught up now because I can barely make myself watch this show, but I'm done now too, for all the reasons stated so eloquently above.  Deb, I'm very disappointed in you.

• Love 1

I liked the whole concept of the focus group and Dean's belief they could do no wrong. But . . . seriously, the premise for this show has already gone stale. 

Funny you should say that after this episode, as I was thinking after watching that they are finally moving away from the "Dean is always right and Stew is always wrong" idea that was so prevalent in the first half of the season.  Also, Dean Sr. always blatantly favoring Dean Jr. and slighting Stew.  I feel that this show is finally finding its way and moving on from the premise.  I like that while someone in the focus group was correct that Dean Sr was hiding something, it caused Dean Jr. to reevaluate his reliance on focus groups and that it did skewer the idea that television in general relies too much on ratings and focus groups.  

I don't follow ratings at all but I am guessing that the ratings for this show are not good based on how few comments there are in this thread which is a shame. The cast of this show is awesome, and I am truly enjoying Fred Savage's return to being in front of the camera instead of behind it.   I also loved the little bit about Deb wanting a focus group formed by her family then deciding she didn't want to hear it after all.  Good grief that was true to life!  I certainly wouldn't want to sit down my husband and kids and ask them what they thought about me!

• Love 1

I also loved the little bit about Deb wanting a focus group formed by her family then deciding she didn't want to hear it after all.

I love that she made the decision not to hear it. A more typical comedy would have had the wife hearing the comments earlier in the show then being pissed off for the remainder of the show. I love that the grown up married couple acts like a grown up married couple.

I was thinking after watching that they are finally moving away from the "Dean is always right and Stew is always wrong" idea that was so prevalent in the first half of the season.

Yes, I think they could mine more laughs from a more balanced approach, and it would be more in keeping with the vibe of the rest of the writing, as well. 

Mostly, I'm just glad the tiresome "Did Dean Sr. screw up?" storyline is over, because that arc lasted w-a-a-y too long. Now if only the show and it's terrific cast would get a shot at another season.

• Love 1

I don't know that this is fully resolved, yet. I think there's still a case to be made that while he didn't consult his client, Dean Sr. acted in his best interest at the time, and there's the manner of who is feeding the client the legal information to proceed with the trial. Considering he was played by one of the Lucas twins, I'm guessing there's some twin hijinks coming.

I liked the whole concept of the focus group and Dean's belief they could do no wrong. But . . . seriously, the premise for this show has already gone stale. 

I agree with this,   Though the others are right that it finally moved away from some of the annoying storylines of late, it doesn't matter to most viewers now--it is too little too late for many.  Though the episode annoyed me less, I didn't find it to be all that interesting either.