Type keyword(s) to search

The Grinder - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think that was Andre when Dean was filmed from the back on the beach with the long hair at the very beginning, his arms up in the air. I thought to myself "I wonder if that's a standin," and sure enough, the episode brings in Andre the stand in!

I thought this episode was good, better than the last one. I am thinking (doing a lot of thinking in this thread) that the ensemble could easily carry the series with Rob Lowe as a guest star (although I can't take my eyes off him as Dean! But so rare that the whole cast is so good). Stuart and Deb certainly are better than most married sitcom couples, the kids are imho the perfect point of clueless in their hero worship of their uncle, William Devane, well, say no more, the other lawyers, Idaho--plenty of meat to grind there. I hope it continues.

• Love 3

Sam and Toby back together again!  (Sorry, a little geek-out there from a huge "West Wing" fan!)

I thought this episode was hilarious.  Except for Todd, who annoys the hell out of me.  Why is he even with the firm?  Have I missed that nepotism was somehow involved?  I can't imagine why he would have been hired otherwise.  The character is cringe worthy.

Deb:  Where have you been all my life?

Andre:  In Dean's guest house.

Ha!

Fred Savage continues to nail it each episode.  

• Love 4

It's funny to see some people didn't like this episode as much. This might have been my favorite since the pilot. I loved Dean's dramatic walk away while Stuart stood tried to figure out what he was doing. The Sanderson lawyers played really well off each other in court (even though they wouldn't need 5 attorneys for what Stuart said was a relatively minor case) and the scene where the parents explain Andre was gone showed just as much chemistry. Everything the entire episode just felt like it clicked. 

• Love 5

Hated this episode.  I feel like it has taken a step backwards from a few episodes that we had late fall where we finally got away from Rob's character just being annoying.  He was actually a little funny, and not constantly in his brother's way.  I am so tired of him thinking his brother should house him, employ him, kiss his ass, etc, and acting like a child that doesn't get his way.  It is so old for me.  I thought they were moving on from that, but according to the recent episode, not so... 

• Love 3

I liked the children at first but the past few episodes they've been nothing more than set pieces. One of them replies to the parents with a snarky remark, and the other adds "yeah, exactly [whatever they said]."

ITA with this.  Their line deliveries are identical to each other and the same for each and every line they read.  They have so much potential.

For whatever reason. The the other networks simply can't come close to ABC in terms of child actors on the comedies. I don't know if it's the Disney connection or just that the network's family comedies tend to involve the family a bit more. I agree with the kids here. They're definitely giving it they're all, but there's just not a lot for them to do.

I hold onto my belief that the show will loosen up a lot after the initial 13 episode run. I'm guessing this Exodus story-line will play out in the next two episodes, and then we'll be onto some good fun in the final 9 episodes with the show knowing it had the full run. It still needs to figure out what it needs to do with Todd and Claire on a full time basis, but I have faith.

Hated this episode.  I feel like it has taken a step backwards from a few episodes that we had late fall where we finally got away from Rob's character just being annoying.  He was actually a little funny, and not constantly in his brother's way.  I am so tired of him thinking his brother should house him, employ him, kiss his ass, etc, and acting like a child that doesn't get his way.  It is so old for me.  I thought they were moving on from that, but according to the recent episode, not so... 

Yeah, I hated it too.  I just don't find the over-dramatic, insane, narcissist at the center of this show funny.   I don't know if I can keep watching it.

• Love 1

I hated it too.  I'm getting really, really tired of everyone loving Dean and disrespecting Stew (except for Deb and Claire).  William Devane's favoritism is ridiculous, the kids treat their father terribly, and peripheral characters all think it's ridiculous that Stewart actually wants to follow legal rules when working in the legal field.  Not funny any more.

• Love 3

To be fair, Dean being an over-dramatic, insane narcissist has been the M.O. of the show since episode 1. It's clear they're never going to move entirely away from that. 

• Love 2

One thing I really loved was that Rozz Landry did find a real way to let Dean talk in court. I was sure they had lied so I was happy that he didn't get in trouble for it.

Also really enjoyed seeing how Dean being gone messed up the balance in the family. The moment Deb is talking about Lizzie's prose was amazing.

Dean goes to work for the other firm, but it becomes apparent quickly that they are just humoring his legal pretensions and want him solely to impress and entertain their clients.  Meanwhile, Stewart realizes that his family was better off with Dean in the house.  The two firms meet in court when they represent a married couple divorcing, and Dean and Stewart have one of those I'm-talking-about-my-client-but-really-I'm-talking-about-myself moments (with the clients saying "no, that's not how I feel about my marriage!") and they make up.  Dean "rejoins" the firm and moves back in, and buys the lot in back of Stewart's lot so he can build his dream house.

But watch it if you can, there were lots of great, silly moments.  I really adore this show.

Loved the way Claire handled Todd's unwanted attentions. This episode was cute and I liked how the judge became so invested in Stewart and Dean's interactions while the horrified plaintiffs protested. But I wonder why it wasn't called "Exodus Part II."

Meanwhile, Stewart realizes that his family was better off with Dean in the house.

But . . . were they? Seems to me they were all fine before Dean ever moved in and then they became dependent on him simply because he filled their heads with nonsense and made them insecure. I'd say it's more that they became addicted to Dean and couldn't go cold turkey. 

• Love 3

Thanks! Glad to hear that in the end Dean will be "close" but not in their house :-) I find that idea just odd in general given he can probably afford his own home....

They also mentioned the other firm Dean was temporarily with found a way to allow him to speak in court on behalf of clients/cases, as his former character, The Grinder, would. He's now a Certified Legal Intern which, at least for the purposes of the show, explains why it's OK for him to speak in court as if he belongs there on behalf of clients. I have no idea if that's a real life legal job or, if so, if it actually allows someone with that title to speak in court on behalf of clients/during cases or not. But if it's not I'm willing to go with the flow.

But . . . were they? Seems to me they were all fine before Dean ever moved in and then they became dependent on him simply because he filled their heads with nonsense and made them insecure. I'd say it's more that they became addicted to Dean and couldn't go cold turkey. 

I think the kids were much nicer and better adjusted at the beginning of the season.   Their over-dramatic and narcissistic behavior has been increasing due to Dean's influence.   I think the show wants us to think how wonderful it is for them to have Uncle Dean there.  Sorry show, I'm not buying it.   Sadly, the kids hero-worship their uncle and are on their way to becoming similarly insufferable.

• Love 2

I didn't see the episode, but I agree with the above.  I felt that if they were fine without Dean previous to his arrival, they can be fine again.  I am one that gets tired of Dean getting his way all of the time, so I prefer him out of the house.

• Love 1

I have to say I agree. The kids have become more neurotic and self centered since Dean showed up, and who can blame them? The whole world seems to bend around to give Dean whatever he wants, no matter how self centered and deluded he is. 

That all being said, I did like this episode. Claire is super cool, and Deb and Stewart are great. And, as much as he can be frustrating, I am usually pretty amused by Dean and his...quirks.  

• Love 1

But what if things weren't as fine as they seemed?

I think it could be argued that Dean has the kids actually expressing and working through their emotions instead of hiding them and keeping things bottled up.

That they have an adult in their lives that they feel like they can talk to about such things is a good thing, IMO.

• Love 3

I realize I don't even know the kids' names, but what does the son have in his life to have "rage" about?  If he actually has rage issues, not talking about it and just meditating "hard" for more minutes per day doesn't address the problem.  If Dean has taught him that to be deep he needs an emotional problem, that's troubling.

And the girl honestly just seems like she's got normal teenage (girl) angst going on.  Nothing wrong with her writing about it, and Dean encouraging her to do so, but the way she was so condescending about it to her mom ("It's work!") again spoke of immaturity rather than some actual problem.  Most of us do survive our teen years, and grow out of them, but it kind of looks like Dean is encouraging her to wallow in her teen-ness rather than learning she isn't the center of the universe (not a lesson Dean is qualified to teach) and that not everything is about her (ditto).  She has a mom who wants to be involved and do things with, and she's probably better off with Deb than Dean.

• Love 1

I agree that Dean is self-centered but I don't think he has had a too negative effect on the children.

What does the kid have to rage about?  Nothing.  And he's probably not full of rage.  But he might think he's full of rage because he's young and stupid.  So instead of telling the kid he's young and stupid, Dean is teaching him that he can cope with those "raging" emotions and doesn't have to be a slave to them or make other accommodate that "rage." And yes the daughter's journal was lame but she is not going to be harmed by having someone tell her that he hears her and understands her at an age when most teens don't think anyone understands. 

And Dean was the one who encouraged the boy to try out acting which he was actually good at. And Dean was also the one to call out Stewart on his double standard regarding his children and dating. 

Deb and Stewart are great parents.  Dean indulging the children a little won't be enough to completely ruin them.  Dean might be a self-involved actor, delusional worker and sometimes awful brother but I think he's been a pretty good uncle. In fact, it might be his best role.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

I liked this episode from start to finish. So much funny. The whole premise of the show is that everyone but Stuart and Deb and Claire are gaga for the grinder, so the hero worship doesn't bother me. Having Dean move behind them will open it up a little and there no doubt will be episodes where the storyline is hero Dean disappointing his worshipers.

Especially loved Dean whispertalking something to Stuart in court and Stuart turning to Claire and asking "what did he say?" Claire is very very funny--calling Todd on the sex fantasy was hysterical.

• Love 2

The best part was Claire calling Todd on the sex fantasy.  Her line delivery was perfect.

I was just coming here to post the same thing. The strange thing is I thought that the actress was the only weak link in the sorely missed (by me) and underappreciated Trophy Wife. Here she's a standout in a cast full of standouts.

• Love 1

Yep, laughable that someone actually thinks Rob looks in his 60's! Have to think it's a person in their 20's saying that. I'm 42 and some of the men I know of that age look older than Rob. If I hadn't grown up with posters of him plastered on my wall I'd think he was around 45. He doesn't look like he has any fillers - he's got age lines around his eyes, mouth and forehead. He lives a very healthy lifestyle - completely 180 to his hedonism in his early 20's. My mum looks at least 10 years younger than her age by winning the genetic lottery, eating well and exercise.

If anyone wants to see what a 50 year old actor who looks old enough to portray Fred's dad my money would be on James Spader. The man has not aged well, I could weep for his lost hotness - suspect he's done a lot of damage to himself through booze, smoking and being stagnant. Still a fine actor though!

Wow I could not disagree more. Fred does look young for his age, but Rob Lowe certainly doesn't look 20 years older than him.

I like that Rob Lowe's face looks natural (I think he might have been using Botox when he was on Parks and Rec because his face did look less "lined"?) now. He looks amazing and I still find him as hot as I did when I first saw him in St. Elmo's Fire!

PS - I've got a B&W pic of Rob from St Elmos and I actually think he's even sexier and handsome now!

• Love 1

I agree that Dean is self-centered but I don't think he has had a too negative effect on the children.

What does the kid have to rage about? Nothing. And he's probably not full of rage. But he might think he's full of rage because he's young and stupid. So instead of telling the kid he's young and stupid, Dean is teaching him that he can cope with those "raging" emotions and doesn't have to be a slave to them or make other accommodate that "rage." And yes the daughter's journal was lame but she is not going to be harmed by having someone tell her that he hears her and understands her at an age when most teens don't think anyone understands.

And Dean was the one who encouraged the boy to try out acting which he was actually good at. And Dean was also the one to call out Stewart on his double standard regarding his children and dating.

Deb and Stewart are great parents. Dean indulging the children a little won't be enough to completely ruin them. Dean might be a self-involved actor, delusional worker and sometimes awful brother but I think he's been a pretty good uncle. In fact, it might be his best role.

ITA - yes, Dean is self-centred but he truly loves his family and gets right behind them. I loved the ep when the reporter trashed Dean but he cried because he was so proud of Stu's accomplishments He's very sweet with all the family and although he does get things wrong or loses focus he makes up for it. The audience needs to remember as well that he's been a 'protected species' for a long time, by being indulged as a celeb for years.

He clearly loves his niece and nephew and while his advice is sometimes not the best it all comes from his heart and him wanting to 'help'. The bit about Ethan having 'rage' was so funny because Stu is like 'what rage?' as Ethan is such a chill kid. I like to think that he's confided in his uncle that he gets mad sometimes and Dean being so dramatic refers to it as 'rage' then does a cool thing about it by teaching Ethan to mediate - which is a positive thing for anybody to learn.

I could have used an adult to really listen to me when I was Lizzie's age and writing dreadful 'woe is me poetry'. Obviously I could talk to my parents because they didn't know anything

Edited by Save Yourself

Yep, laughable that someone actually thinks Rob looks in his 60's! Have to think it's a person in their 20's saying that. I'm 42 and some of the men I know of that age look older than Rob. If I hadn't grown up with posters of him plastered on my wall I'd think he was around 45. He doesn't look like he has any fillers - he's got age lines around his eyes, mouth and forehead. He lives a very healthy lifestyle - completely 180 to his hedonism in his early 20's. My mum looks at least 10 years younger than her age by winning the genetic lottery, eating well and exercise.

If anyone wants to see what a 50 year old actor who looks old enough to portray Fred's dad my money would be on James Spader. The man has not aged well, I could weep for his lost hotness - suspect he's done a lot of damage to himself through booze, smoking and being stagnant. Still a fine actor though!

PS - I've got a B&W pic of Rob from St Elmos and I actually think he's even sexier and handsome now!

Rob will be 52 on St. Patrick's Day (March 17th). Just saying.

I was just coming here to post the same thing. The strange thing is I thought that the actress was the only weak link in the sorely missed (by me) and underappreciated Trophy Wife. Here she's a standout in a cast full of standouts.

You're not the only one who misses Trophy Wife. Among other things, I miss it for Bradley Whitford & Albert Tsai & his character Bert (at least I can watch Albert on ABC's Dr. Ken until it, with my luck, gets canceled at the end of this season).

• Love 1
Save Yourself, on 31 Jan 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Ha ha his mullet-ish 'do was the best/worst.

Gawd I loved that movie. It inspired me to move to DC/Georgetown when I was just 10 years old. (well, I moved there after college, but the idea struck at age 10). 

• Love 1

That's cool. Didn't know you knew. By the way, love your avatar! Somehow, I only caught it this post, or I'd have said something earlier.

Yes, I've had the Lowe obsession since The Outsiders way back when! He's the gift that keeps on giving :)  I stopped watching The West Wing when they didn't renew his contract because of the pay dispute - I was very mad on Rob's behalf! And I thought it was pretty crappy they did that to him.

Haha, I wondered if your alias was referring to you being a Fanilow, he's awesome, I just bought his DVDs from the 70's ABC specials he did, they are so good! Such fun seeing all the fashion and his voice is just amazing, he's got a really great way about him as well when he tells stories about his life and songs. And he was totally hot!!! I never realised how good looking he was because I was quite young when he was at his peak. I remember my Mum going to his concert in the mid-80's and she chased his limo down the street - and my Mum is quite the lady generally, very funny image.

Ha ha his mullet-ish 'do was the best/worst.

Gawd I loved that movie. It inspired me to move to DC/Georgetown when I was just 10 years old. (well, I moved there after college, but the idea struck at age 10). 

I was 13 when I first saw it and I thought he was so cool how he played the sax and climbed around the ledge to Jules and was in general a wild child. And loved his wet-look mullet lol. My sister and I watched that movie and The Breakfast Club every single day during the Christmas school holidays (6 weeks), we would say all the lines along with them! Haha, good times :)

• Love 1

I was worried a few episodes ago, but this one was back on track with the sincere goofiness I love.  My favorite moment: when Grinder 2.0 started yelling in mock court and The Grinder nodded his head.  The judge was great too, just exactly the right mix of gravitas and comedic delivery.  Man I hope the ratings are up.

• Love 6

Loved every minute of it. So much genius to bring in another character again to ramp up the Grinding. So much chemistry in this cast too.

Rob Lowe plays comedy so much differently than the others and it always works. For all of them.

• Love 3

So this is the second time Fox has aired its Tuesday lineup in the 11:00 pm - 1:00 am time slot, at least, in my region (not sure what's up with that, or what aired at the regular times). When I went to watch my recording this morning, I had Brooklyn Nine-Nine in the Grinder recording spot and New Girl in the Grandfathered spot. Very irritating, Fox!  Get your ish together. Now to see if Fox has the episodes online...

• Love 2

One thing I like about this show is the characters often react in unexpected ways... they're not the typical sitcom characters. I did not see Dean and Tim bonding at the end; I thought Tim would remain Dean's nemesis with Timothy blissfully unaware.

• Love 1

As a veteran of many an Agatha Christie story, the opening about the "What did you say?" moment, where the whole case is cracked because of some random word someone says (MANY stories ended up being solved through that method) cracked me up. 

• Love 1