Type keyword(s) to search

Rosewood - General Discussion

• Start Topic

--I agree with you about LT being too young to play his mother. I was doing the math in my head. Morris Chestnut is 46. LT doesn't look 66. I couldn't even fanwank that she was a teenaged mom and is 61 or 62

Wiki puts her 9 years older than  Morris Chestnut

I tried one more time.  Couldn't get through  more than 15 minutes.  This show stinks for a variety of reasons and I just don't even care to list them anymore.  This show just stinks.  I hope Lorraine Toussaint can find something better to do.  I don't even care about the rest of them, including Morris.

• Love 1

I don't even care how old she is in real life, there is no universe that exists along the time-space continuum in which Lorraine Toussaint is Morris Chestnut's mother.

I had to look it up because in every scene they had together I kept thinking, she's his wife, right? Not his mother?

Anyway, she was born in 1960; he was born in 1969. So I guess if she's playing her real age and he's playing 10 years younger...still.

• Love 2

I gave this (or at least tried to) another chance, and I'm underwhelmed. Not sure exactly what isn't working for me, but something is missing. Normally, I love Morris Chestnut, but the way his character is written annoys me. Rosewood is jut way too eager to prove how smart and cool he is. His co-star I like slightly better because she isn't too impressed with Rosewood, and she's got a bit of a dark side, what with punching out guys in clubs. However there's not much more than lot of "meh" which won't keep me interested. Really wanted to love this show...but I just don't think I can.

• Love 1
Rosewood is jut way too eager to prove how smart and cool he is.

And that's the problem I have with his character.  Plus, Morris Chestnut doesn't pull off "cool and smart" very well, like he's trying way too hard, riding around in that stupid yellow car.  I think his character would have been much better if he had been portrayed as a serious ME.  The banter between him and his sister is forced as well. 

It's been mentioned before about the ridiculousness of Lorraine Toussaint playing his mother.  I wonder why they didn't cast her as his older sister, someone whom he looks up to and values her input and advice on matters.  That would have made much more sense.   

Also, I got tired pretty quickly of the beach scenes and women in bikinis and the dancing and Latin music.  We get it.  It's Miami.  No need to show those scenes every damn week. 

Oh well, no matter because I'm done with this show anyway, but those were my final comments. 

• Love 1

Rosewood is jut way too eager to prove how smart and cool he is.

And that's the problem I have with his character.  Plus, Morris Chestnut doesn't pull off "cool and smart" very well, like he's trying way too hard, riding around in that stupid yellow car.

This show is way too try hard, trying to sell us on a character that we've already seen lots of times before.

• Love 1

This show is like Taxi Brooklyn meets Burn Notice  somehow...with maybe a pinch of Quincy M. E.

Don't forget Tom Selleck and Len Cariou in Blue Bloods, Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft in The Graduate and Cary Grant and Jessie Royce Landis in North By Northwest for generation-bending relationships.

I'm really liking this show. And I feel that we are starting to get to know the two leads better. Rosewood's struggle with his mortality and Villa's loneliness. They are gonna need each other, I can see that now.

• Love 2

I really like it too! I find it light-hearted and entertaining. I enjoy the banter and sarcasm, and yes, I enjoy looking at our good pathologist.

I think it will be interesting to see how his health issues evolve over the run of the show.

• Love 1

I see this show as being the opposite side of the Backstrom coin--same network, same mystery of the week format, same tone ("light" crime procedural with occassional dark moments), but with the protagonist being a handsome, eternal optimist who could die at any second because of a medical problem out of his control compared to the frumpy, grumpy, protagonist who could die any second because of his own bad lifestyle choices. Even the location is the opposite but designed to parallel the protagonist--Rosewood's home is sunshiny while Backstrom's is non-stop rainy. Both shows have titles that are the last names of the protagonists and in both the protagonists are brilliant men who annoy the heck out of their colleagues. It's like Fox decided Backstrom didn't work out so went with a flip on the protagonist but same basic concept.

• Love 3

It's like Fox decided Backstrom didn't work out so went with a flip on the protagonist but same basic concept.

Wow, there are so many similarities.  The concept has already been done to death, especially from this network.

I think the show is just ok, but I do agree with this:

I feel that we are starting to get to know the two leads better. Rosewood's struggle with his mortality and Villa's loneliness.

I was a bit surprised that Villa's therapist is Rosewood's girlfriend. And Villa calling her therapist and leaving that sad message while Rosewood was having sex with his gf/the therapist was interesting. I wonder how long it will take before Villa/Rosewood and/or the therapist discover the connection?

Edited by damalanop
  • Love 3

When your lead pegs the murderer (the obvious name actor in a guest starring role) before the first commercial break and the rest of the hour is about finding the evidence to nail him, it makes for a boring episode unless you get the twist that the name guest star may be playing an asshole but he wasn't the killer. I wish they had gone for the twist.

And I think Adrian Pasdar would've made a more compelling recurring antagonist for Rosewood who simply is an arrogant asshole doctor who doesn't waste his time on patients who don't want to help themselves but actually is a good diagnostician with a good eye. It would grate on Rosewood's optimistic sunny attitude and provide a little grit on the show.

• Love 4

And I think Adrian Pasdar would've made a more compelling recurring antagonist for Rosewood who simply is an arrogant asshole doctor who doesn't waste his time on patients who don't want to help themselves but actually is a good diagnostician with a good eye. It would grate on Rosewood's optimistic sunny attitude and provide a little grit on the show.

Agreed. I was scrambling looking for the article I read about Pasdar's casting, because I could have sworn he was going to recur, but my memory failed me.

I wish they had gone for the twist.

So do I. This show is so awful. And Rosewood himself is nothing to write home about. It hurts me to say that, because I've adored Morris Chestnut since Boyz 'N the Hood. But I cannot with this show.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

When your lead pegs the murderer (the obvious name actor in a guest starring role) before the first commercial break and the rest of the hour is about finding the evidence to nail him, it makes for a boring episode unless you get the twist that the name guest star may be playing an asshole but he wasn't the killer. I wish they had gone for the twist.

Definitely, they didn't even try for this case, it was just waiting out until the obvious set up at the very end.

I kind of wish the tagger really was his kid.

Adrian Pasdar is Morris Chestnut's equal with regards to charisma, so maybe the thought it would be redundant to keep him?

BTW, according to IMDb, Adrian Pasdar's father is a cardiologist.

Edited by shapeshifter

Hmmm,  after last week's run in with an ex of Rosie's and this week in realizing he's the one Villa has a crush on, seems to me Kat is the one who doesn't want to commit and is looking for a reason to bail. If Rosie hadn't been concerned for Villa's emotional meltdown at that moment and instead was like 'Oh, well!' THEN Kat should be worried. Instead it was like she had caught him in the act of betraying her when he expressed concern for Villa when she was the one who was keeping secrets and information relevant to her relationship with him.

Yes, she was caught between a rock and a hard place but the way Kat handled it was all wrong.  Breaking things off with Rosie with a lame excuse? Also how in the world did she think she could still treat Villa knowing that Villa would be seeing Rosie everyday, her ex? It's still a conflict of interest. Villa as the patient deserved to know the issue so she could decide if she wanted to move on to another therapist. Kat instead lets her own insecurities about Rosie come into play and uses it as an excuse to break up with him.

Case of the week was better but this show still coasts on Morris' charisma a LOT. Hoping the scripts get stronger. Can't wait for Taye Diggs to appear.

• Love 1

Last night ratings:

8:00 p.m.- Fox – Rosewood -Viewers: 4.69 million (#4), A18-49: 1.1/ 4 (#4)

8:30 p.m. - Fox – Rosewood -Viewers: 5.73 million (#4), A18-49: 1.7/ 6 (#3)

That half hour jump is obviously Empire pre-tune in but still impressive.

I find Rosie to be so obnoxious, it's seriously annoying to me that they have two competent strong women forming a sad triangle around him. Villa melting down like that and Kat playing the martyr-- yuck. What made the show appealing was the casting, with strong women of a variety of types. To reduce two of the main ones to dysfunctionally lovelorn over the same obnoxious guy is just... gross. Even if you like Rosie, I still think it would be gross. It's so unnecessary, too. It's like they want to prop up their lead while tearing down the co-stars. Why, TV, why??? Is this what focus groups tell you they want to see????

• Love 2

I find Rosie to be so obnoxious, it's seriously annoying to me that they have two competent strong women forming a sad triangle around him.

Very disappointing about what it could've been.

I find Rosie to be so obnoxious, it's seriously annoying to me that they have two competent strong women forming a sad triangle around him. Villa melting down like that and Kat playing the martyr-- yuck. What made the show appealing was the casting, with strong women of a variety of types. To reduce two of the main ones to dysfunctionally lovelorn over the same obnoxious guy is just... gross. Even if you like Rosie, I still think it would be gross. It's so unnecessary, too. It's like they want to prop up their lead while tearing down the co-stars. Why, TV, why??? Is this what focus groups tell you they want to see????

I find Rosie to be very likeable. It's Villa who needs to lighten up. 

He's obnoxious.  They seem to be patterning him after House, which I think is a big mistake.  I know House was a successful show, but, for the life of me, I could never figure out why.  I couldn't stomach that character.  He made me want to kick him in the nuts.  Rosie's not as bad, but my reaction to him isn't exactly warm and fuzzy.  Instead of using the House template, I wish they'd portray him (and Villa) more like the Denzel Washington/Angelina Jolie partnership from the movie, The Bone Collector.   Denzel's characer was brilliant and mega-successful, but vulnerable.  They don't have to make Rosie (kinda hate that name too) a quadraplegic or bedridden, but he should have some demonstrable physical impairment other than a chest scar.  Truth be told, maybe they have shown that. I don't know.  The character turned me off so much at the onset that I haven't paid much attention since.

• Love 1

The best thing about this show is still the sister and her fiancee.

But I liked this episode more than some of the others. I actually think it's because they had R and V investigating separately sometimes, so the amount of idiotic banter was minimized, and they each could focus on what they're good at instead of on each other. I liked that she came up with the same suspect he did, without the two of them communicating at all.

I think they've really messed up the "Rosie is going to die without a heart transplant" nonsense, though. The man is nowhere near sick enough to even be put on a waiting list.

Yeah, Rosie focusing on fixing things first with Villa and leaving Kat to cool her heels was pretty telling about his feelings.

This episode definitely felt like a 'regular' episode with a clear case of the week 'A' story and personal 'B' story with the small theme of good and bad marriages running throughout to culminate with mom and dad's divorce announcement. Glad we got to see Papa Rosewood finally, but dang he drops in for one episode to announce the divorce and next ep it appears things get worse.

About his heart, since he's known to have a chronic condition that could go critical at any moment (he's had strokes/heart attacks in the past where he's recovered but it's continually weakened his heart so the next attack is going to be the BIG one) where he will ultimately need a transplant- no ifs about it apparently- he should be on the list; he wouldn't get the next heart that was a match unless he was critical/urgent. People on the list get skipped all the time for other more urgent cases so he'd float in the 'not immediately about to die but we're waiting for him to go boom' part of the list. Once his heart does go boom (S1 finale or midseason S2-yeah, I think they'll renew this show) we'll get an arc on his transplant and recovery.

• Love 1
Rosie focusing on fixing things first with Villa and leaving Kat to cool her heels was pretty telling about his feelings.

Unless he just sees Villa as a Damsel In Distress and that invokes his Hero/Martyr Complex. Him seeing Villa as weak and sad would totally motivate him, since he loooooooooves to be the savior.

Unless he just sees Villa as a Damsel In Distress and that invokes his Hero/Martyr Complex. Him seeing Villa as weak and sad would totally motivate him, since he loooooooooves to be the savior.

I think Rosie really cares for Villa. I don't think it's superficial.

• Love 1

I know I've seen her a million times before, but I can't remember the name of the actress who played Villa's mother. It's driving me crazy, like if I had forgotten the name of my next door neighbor. I tried IMDB, but she's not listed in the cast yet. Can anyone help me out?

While trying to look that up, I finally caught on to why Rosie's sister's fiancee is nicknamed "TMI": apparently the character's full name is Tara Milly Izikoff . I always thought it was funny, anyway.

The relationship between Pippy and TMI is my favorite part of the show.

Villa and Rosie are too much for me. I hate that they make Villa so damaged that she's practically nothing but damage, and I really don't buy that she would be that messed up, or that everyone around her would be so much more insightful and less damaged than she is. Didn't she have a successful marriage? This shows that she's not so closed off in general that she can't be expected to relate like a normal person in an everyday situation. But they play it like she's not just a grieving person with some rough stuff in her background, but like she is and always has been a totally closed off person. It's no wonder she's defensive; everyone around her is full time in diagnostic mode on her ass all the time, and no one's really letting her breathe on her own terms. Meanwhile, Rosie's one dimensionally trying to out-suave himself and everyone around him, and comes off as stiff and non-credible as Villa, like she's the negative and he's the positive of the same trope. The show needs to admit that he's more than chivalry and compassion and she's more than prickly and damaged. And the directors need to lay off the sharp breath/stiff back/darting eyes/long pause stuff, and let the actors behave like humans, not nervous robots.

The case of the week is always ok; not better or worse than the average procedural. Not enough to tune in for or be turned off by on its own. So work on the characters. They have the scenery and the pacing OK and even the formula could work. But the characterization of the leads is just too extreme and needs a little work.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

I know I've seen her a million times before, but I can't remember the name of the actress who played Villa's mother. It's driving me crazy, like if I had forgotten the name of my next door neighbor. I tried IMDB, but she's not listed in the cast yet. Can anyone help me out?

Villa's mother was played by Lisa Vidal. Vidal is probably best known from New York Undercover, though she has been in a lot of stuff.

• Love 1

Villa being a badass and taking down a pair of muscly dudes was fun. We see so many men taking down a room full of attackers solo (in movies), that I liked how the show had her do a similar stunt and they just let it be normal. Then Hornstock shooting the kneecap of the hostage-taker from underneath the hostage's legs-- I figure, the show might as well be over the top if it's going to be over the top!

I thought, initially, that TMI had some plan, like maybe she and Pippy move into Mom's house while Mom moves into the condo, or maybe TMI wanted Pippy to move into the condo and sell P's place, or some other scheme, which maybe Mama Rosewood was in on in some way. When it turned out to be another reminder that TMI's been rejected by her family of origin, I had mixed feelings. It's not wrong to point out how hurtful and wrong that behavior is, and I still love how Mama Rosewood totally gets it. I don't know why I feel ambivalent about them pointing it out again. I don't want the TMI/Pippy story to always be sad. I guess I've seen too many tragic lesbian stories, it's almost tropey. But I can't really fault them, either. I still like their relationship a thousand times more than the melodrama of Rosie and Villa who the show seems to think it's funny to direct to flounce and sulk. I get that sometimes adults have reasons not to speak directly to each other about their feelings, but when that's the case do they go around acting petulant and flaunting their discomfort? Or do they try for some subtlety so as to not seem like tantrummy adolescents? Clearly the show and I disagree on which it is.

The kids being weird about their mother dating bothered me. Let her have a life!

My issue with the TMI/Pippy fight was that Pippy didn't even let TMI explain why she had second thoughts about selling, She just said she was too mad to talk and up and left her sitting there which to me doesn't bode well for any relationship. At least try to hear her out but the way she just shut her out was cold. Having said that TMI does need to let Pip in more about her angst about her family because leaving Pip up to her own devices about why TMI is acting weird isn't fair either.

Rosie and his passive aggressive behavior over Villa and Dr. Mike was too cliched. My theory is he definitely wants a relationship with her but also feels it's too soon for her and also is afraid/hesitant to go too far because he knows he has a ticking time bomb in his chest as well. He doesn't want Villa to go through another loss when the first one was so devestating. Which I get. But screwing up any chances she has with someone else she's attracted to is just a dick move. If you want her, tell her. If you won't commit, then leave her be.

Having said that, I think Villa is more willing to go after Dr. Mike over Rosie because subconsciously Rosie is more important to her and she doesn't want to mess that relationship up. Dr. Mike she can use as a transition guy but drop when it doesn't work out without lasting ramifications. She's also aware of the issue of Rosie's precarious health so she tries to maintain boundaries to keep him at bay, but his charm and her attraction to him make it hard not to connect to him.

That designer was too dumb for words. You take a hostage at gunpoint and then try to say you're not a murderer? He deserved to have both kneecaps blown out.

Does Rosie always have to be right? I get it's his show, but overriding Dr. Mike in the ER when Gigi was flatlining just so we can show Mike isn't all that is just character propping. Let Rosie have a few dings and losses. I love Morris and like Rosie but it's getting to be a bit much.

• Love 1

I like Rosie as friends with Villa. But I really wish they would stop trying to telegraph a romantic relationship between them.

Mike was fun. Hope he sticks around for Villa.

Mike and Villa have no chemistry. Rosie and Villa have the chemistry.

(edited)

Well, I enjoyed it and was glad the show is back.  Sad to see Taye Diggs leaving.  I preferred having Villa and Rosie not dancing around each other romantically, but I guess that's the way the show wants to go.  Was glad they had a real in-depth "previously" because I had forgotten that we left off on a cliff-hanger.  

Edited by MelinaBallerina

I don't know if it got a second season. I kind of bet it won't, because I don't think the numbers are good, but I hope it does. I absolutely ADORE this show. The only character I don't like is Villa (and I bet over time she'll soften enough to be likeable).

Sometimes this show throws in some really good scenes from another better version of itself. In 'Negative Autopsies and New Partners' that scene with Pippy and Momma Rosewood with Pippy confronting her about the issues of her coming out. Also initially the Pippy running away beat seemed too convenient, but when you got the backstory on it -Pippy being overlooked due to Rosie being the kid they paid attention to and Pippy struggling to come out- it made for a compelling layer to her character. And it was interesting that Pippy didn't see her time on the streets as all tragic-she kept mementos and you could see it kind of kill both Rosie and their mom that for a time where they were worried sick, it wasn't all bad for Pippy on the street. And yet thank goodness it wasn't bad for Pippy on the streets because it could've been really REALLY bad.

Edited by TobinAlbers

I loved the last episode but I was so disappointed with the whole "won't they would they" between these two. Please kiss already!

That's how I feel, I mean if they are going to write two people being attracted to each other just let them go for it. The whole putting them with 10 different people before they get together is so cliche at this point. Right now i'm watching like 4 or 5 different shows that are doing the will they won't they stuff, Rosewood, Lucifer, Blind spot, Scorpion, Super girl, Agents of Shield.

Why has the tone of the show changed so drastically?  I mean it started off with Rosie being a pest to Villa.  She had a tough past with her husband's unexpected death.  So Rosie get all in her business for 7-8 episodes, she has a brief think with his friend MIke.  Which had Rosie acting extremely jealous, then when the chance is there he drops her for the Dr.?  And now Villa is acting like Rosie is her perfect mate.   The show goes out of its way to show Villa as a strong, intelligent , career driven woman but now she is simping after Rosie.  It would be good to give her a love interest and make the show strictly about the cases vs. creating one love triangle after another.  Oh  and it is getting tired with his mother constantly getting in his business.