Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

My dream is to some day quit a job like Scarface:

"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you.  I'M OUT!"

Even I judge me!

I call out BOTH of you for making me spit on my AirBook screen in front of the waiting room at the Hyundai dealership.

I've always referred to these type of movies as "Evil Nosh", because I hate myself for watching them, but I can't help it.

I guess we need another thread to argue the difference between "Stupid" and "Over & Over Again", because some of these titles clearly do NOT belong here.

That being said, here's one of mine:

Sister Act ("If this place turns into a nun bar, I'm leaving!").

That being said, here's one of mine:

Sister Act ("If this place turns into a nun bar, I'm leaving!").

I always stop and watch that one, too.  And if it's followed by the sequel (Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit), forget it -- there go four hours of my life.

• Love 1

So many "good" movies, so few hours in the day...

These as just but a few of the goodies that I will ALWAYS stop and watch (at least part of, anyway):

Clueless

The Craft

Showgirls

Happy Gilmore

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Dodgeball

Anchorman

Black Sheep

Tommy Boy

Zoolander

I'm sure there are many more, but these are just the ones off the top of my head.  "Happy Gilmore" and "Zoolander" were both on over the weekend and saying "Maybe you could dere-lick my balls, capitan." never gets old.  The walk-off, the gasoline fight, the Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Learn to do Other Things Good Too, Mugatu.  Yeah.  I'll be showing that one to my grandkids. 

• Love 3

Sister Act 2 was my daughter's favorite movie for years.  We watched it over and over and over again.  Come of think of it, she was equally as fond of the second Adams Family movie.  "I have seen the unholy maggots that feast in the darkest recesses of the human soul!"  

I can't miss A Knight's Tale - it's the jousting.  Followed by the long discussions about why the lead actress is not as good looking as the actress playing her hand maiden.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have seen the unholy maggots that feast in the darkest recesses of the human soul!

They're at camp.

I can't miss A Knight's Tale - it's the jousting.  Followed by the long discussions about why the lead actress is not as good looking as the actress playing her hand maiden.

Oh, the girl who was the blacksmith, right? God yes, was that a casting fail, she should have been the lead.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 1

Both women were more attractive, but the hand maiden was the one who was also the love interest of the fat sidekick. I think - too lazy to verify. Of course, I also wondered why Heath Ledger's character didn't just court the blacksmith. But I guess it's not as romantic.

• Love 1

The lead was Shannyn Sossamon, who must have been getting weird direction because she seems to be in a different movie from everyone else.  The hand maiden was Berenice Bejo who went on to play the lead in The Artist.  The blacksmith was Laura Fraser.  The discussions at our house are always Sossamon vs Bejo.

Wild Things. Have seen it many times and still not sure if the writers mean for it to be taken seriously and just completely blind to how laughable the script is OR if its meant as a big sarcastic parody. I choose to think the latter.

Starship Troopers. I know Heinlein was probably spinning in his grave when it came out, but wow is that a fun, shallow, enjoyable movie to watch.

Also agree with Eurotrip, The Replacements, Dodgeball and the iconic early 80s Nic Cage vehicle Valley Girl

Starship Troopers. I know Heinlein was probably spinning in his grave when it came out, but wow is that a fun, shallow, enjoyable movie to watch.

Oh yeah, what a delightful piece of trash. I can't hear Blur's Song 2 without thinking of Starship Troopers.

The subversiveness of the movie is what really separates it from trash, for me. Yes, it's full of bad acting and corny dialogue and these unbelievably dull, pretty people (though I will forever love Dina Meyer), but it's just so on the nose about fascism that I can't help but snicker at the ridiculousness of it. The action scenes are great as well, especially the Alamo-like outpost set piece, where Michael Ironside bites it... or rather, gets bit.

As for Heinlein's novel, it was accused of promoting fascism anyway, so I find it deliciously ironic that the movie skewers the concepts so brutally.

Has Independence Day been mentioned? I can't remember. If it hasn't, it should have been.

I am sick, and the only thing I feel like doing is watching movies. This is on, so I am watching it.

Is it just me, or was Jeff Goldblum just on the yummy side back then? ::giggle::

• Love 1

Has Independence Day been mentioned? I can't remember. If it hasn't, it should have been.

Yep. I mentioned it, then came back a few posts later to let everyone know that I'd only had about 6 hours of sleep because my husband likes to fall asleep with the tv on and Independence Day was just starting! 

• Love 1
Even though I loath musicals; Showgirls,and Xanadu.

Xanadu is so amazingly, painfully bad that it's damn good.  Who couldn't imagine taking 1940s big band music and late 70s rock and meshing it together with rollerskates?  Genius! 

Plus, Olivia Newton-John's peasant-y dresses and skirts, barrettes with ribbons and ELO rock. 

• Love 3
Which one is All or Nothing? Is that the Solange one?

Bring it on again. All or nothing. In it to win it. Fight for the finish. One of them has Christina Milian, and I think Hayden Panettiere is somewhere in there too. (Not Googling it because I would rather talk it out with you all)

Yep...All or Nothing was Solange and Hayden Panettiere.  Silly but if that one and the original "Bring It On" were both on at the same time, I'll take All or Nothing. LOL 

• Love 2
I'm ashamed to admit that I saw this in the theater!

Friday night, opening weekend. And we stayed through the credits and bumped our fists to the glorious beats of Starship singing "Nothing's gonna stop us now."

Shame?  No. But it is a dreadful movie.

• Love 2

Mannequin is nothing, ya'll -- my best friend and I saw Vibes in the theatre.  And not that any network airs that Cyndi Lauper/Jeff Goldblum masterpiece, but if they did - I would still watch it.  Because it's Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum.  As psychics.  On the trail of some secret mountain that contains all the universe's psychic energy.  Which causes Cyndi Lauper to speak in tongues.  That's gold, Jerry - gold.

• Love 4

Mannequin is nothing, ya'll -- my best friend and I saw Vibes in the theatre.  And not that any network airs that Cyndi Lauper/Jeff Goldblum masterpiece, but if they did - I would still watch it.  Because it's Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum.  As psychics.  On the trail of some secret mountain that contains all the universe's psychic energy.  Which causes Cyndi Lauper to speak in tongues.  That's gold, Jerry - gold.

Holy shit, I must see this film!

• Love 1

The bit with Goldblum smacking his head on a table and then psychometrically reading that someone had sex on it is hilarious.

I can't resist a rewatch of Happy Gilmore or The Cutting Edge whenever I run across them on TV.

Legally Blonde

I don't feel guilty about this one. Reese Witherspoon is so charming, I find this to be a really enjoyable film.

Now, A Walk in the Clouds? Yeah - it's not exactly a stupid movie, but I do feel vaguely guilty about watching it. Beautifully filmed movie, though.

• Love 1

The man has more than 75 credits to his name, yet he'll always be "Shoop" to me.

I love that he did commentary (with Carl Reiner) for the Summer School DVD.  Which, of course, I own, because that movie is a high school favorite.

• Love 2

I watch Dante's Peak whenever it's on, it's a volcano movie with Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton. 

Like someone above I also love Tremors.  Michael Gross and Reba McIntyre totally make that movie with their gun happy characters.

• Love 1

Tremors is so wonderfully bad.  The first time I watched it was because nothing else was on and I figured looking at Kevin Bacon for a couple of hours could never be wrong.  I sat there thinking, "This is so awful, yet I can't look away."  And then Michael Gross and Reba McEntire came on the scene, and I laughed my ass off.  So now, whenever it's on, I have to watch at least part of it.

• Love 1

I saw Tremors at the dollar theater when it had been out for a few months. It was a Friday night show, and the place was packed with people just waiting for a good time. And we got it with that movie! The entire theater was shouting at the screen when the Graboid was chasing them--"Get moving! OMG, runrunrun!!  It's gonna get you if you don't get to that rock!!!!" I hadn't had that much fun at the movies since I saw Ghostbusters at college (same vibe, with even more rowdy moviegoers).

Tremors remains one of my favorite movies to stop and watch every time I come across while channel-surfing. Everyone is having a blast on screen, from Kevin Bacon (I love how his character is really quite thick), Fred Ward (not quite as stupid as Bacon, but no Einstein, either), and both Gross and McEntire are chewing the scenery whole, and enjoying every mouthful.

• Love 2

Tremors is an example of just how much fun a good B-movie can be, if you ask me. I wouldn't even describe it as stupid, particularly. It is what it is, a relatively cheap movie about a bunch of underground monsters attacking a town. And I think the 'peril' (to borrow a BBFC word) in it is gentle enough that it's a movie suitable for nearly all ages. Sure, it's a bit scary for youngsters, but I don't think it's something I'd stop kids from watching. If I found it on the schedule, I would definitely watch it.

Though I will always, always remember listening to a couple of schoolkids on the bus, years ago, giddy about the movie Trevors that they'd watched the previous night. That made my day.

• Love 3

Jawbreaker! For some reason, I just love it. It's dark comedy at its finest. Blue Streak is another And-The-Oscar-Won't-Go-To movie that I watch over and over. Money Talks isn't really stupid but again, not Oscar-worthy, but damn if you won't die laughing. 

• Love 1

The Legend of Billie Jean not completely stupid but somewhat hard to believe.  Particularly liked the way they potrayed the cop in that movie as a pretty decent guy trying to fix the mistake he made early on by not taking things more seriously.

• Love 1

I have probably watched I Love You Man 150 times. I have never been able to ignore it when it shows up on my guide channel. I own the movie and saw it in theaters several times. TCM is playing a movie called I Love You Again (made in 1940), and I got so excited to watch my movie. Its not the same movie.

I've also watched Friends With Benefits a lot of times just because the fake movie in the background has Rashida Jonesand Jason Segel as love interests. Well, not just for that, but you get my point.

• Love 2

because it's on now and has sucked me in yet again... The Holiday.  Just love it. I want a Jude-Law-as-Graham of my very own. 

And as much as I am not necessarily a fan of Katherine Heigl's reputation, 27 Dresses gets me to watch every single time.  (and, as with everything she's in, Judy Greer just kills LOL).

Edited to add:  She's the Man.  Totally silly, and Amanda Bynes really can't pass for a guy, but it's fun. And bonus: a young Channing Tatum...!  

Edited by loriro
  • Love 1

When Splash came out on video (30 years ago!), I watched it all the time.  Then, it just disappeared.  The other day, I saw that it was being aired, so I taped it and watched it with my daughter today and had just as much fun as the first time around. 

• Love 2

She's the Man.  Totally silly, and Amanda Bynes really can't pass for a guy, but it's fun. And bonus: a young Channing Tatum...!

I like She's the Man too, but yeah, Amanda Bynes only passes as a guy if you believe he's a 12 year old, because that's how old she looked in her dude get-up. Also, I could never figure out why her guy voice included a southern accent.

• Love 1

I've read through this whole thread, and I can't believe these three haven't been mentioned.

History of the World, Part 1: "No, no, no, no, no, no, yes....."

Waterworld, which was the start of my big, slobbery crush on Jeanne Tripplehorn.

Two Moon Junction, which was the start of my big, slobbery crush on Sherilyn Fenn, pre-dating her work on Twin Peaks by two years.

Ah, its like catharsis. Or is that confession?

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1

Waterworld, which was the start of my big, slobbery crush on Jeanne Tripplehorn.

I think Waterworld gets a bad rap, to be honest. It's a decent movie, with a cool twist on the post-apocalypse theme. The dumbest bits about it all revolve around Dennis Hopper, though. He just chews through every bit of scenery he comes across. And yeah, Jeanne Tripplehorn is gorgeous in it. No idea why Costner preferred the idea of bobbing around on his little boat at the end, instead of repopulating that island with her. It's not like he couldn't have gone out sailing every day, is it?

I'm the furthest thing possible from being a Michael Bay fan, but I will admit to liking The Island. Charming performances from Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson, a pretty interesting idea about cloning and human health. It's just a shame about the mindless CGI-based action.

• Love 2

Speaking of Dennis Hopper scenery-chewing, if I catch Speed on TV, I'll stop to watch it. 

When Splash came out on video (30 years ago!), I watched it all the time.  Then, it just disappeared.  The other day, I saw that it was being aired, so I taped it and watched it with my daughter today and had just as much fun as the first time around. 

I always crack up when Tom Hanks awkwardly dives into the water to "rescue" Daryl Hannah after they've escaped from the facility and are trying to get away.  Plus, he's just overall funny in that movie.  Also, knowing how old the movie is makes me feel slightly decrepit.    

• Love 1

I'm the furthest thing possible from being a Michael Bay fan, but I will admit to liking The Island. Charming performances from Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson, a pretty interesting idea about cloning and human health. It's just a shame about the mindless CGI-based action.

I like The Island quite a bit, I think it's Bay's best movie because it for once has a deeper plot going on than "stuff blows up." Although I will watch the shit out of that train wheel scene, them clattering down the road, totally destroying everything in their path... Never mind that it didn't make sense that someone was hauling train wheels around when the trains in the movie seemed to be hover technology. And why didn't the truck driver notice that his cargo was departing and stop? Yeah. Terrible. But MAN, is it fun to watch.

The '80s teen comedy Just One of the Guys. I remember seeing this when it was in the theaters, and thinking it was a dumb movie but I really liked it. I liked the little brother even though he was a creep and the high school best friend-nerd-secret hunk looked like he was 30.

• Love 5

Clayton Rohner! Whatever happened to him? I think the last thing I saw him in was that Good vs. Evil show back in the 90s.

I see him in stuff every now and then. An episode of Castle a few years back comes to mind.

Love Just One of the Guys.  I actually never knew it was ever on in theaters, I just discovered it on cable back in the 80s.  I have it on DVD. 

The Brady Bunch movies are surprisingly enjoyable since they embraced the insipid and corny nature of the show in them. 

My son has been watching reruns of Full House recently.  I never liked the show, still don't, but if they did a similar sort of movie for it as they did with The Brady Bunch, could be pretty funny

• Love 2
Er, according to imdb, Clayton Rohner is in The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence).  So, there's that.

Ouch. I think I felt better for Mackenzie Astin after hearing an account that he was waiting tables a couple of years ago.