Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

Michael J. Fox is still adorable! 

I have to watch Overboard, too.  So stupid, and very disturbing, but there's something about it that pulls me in every time.  As I wrote in the quotes thread, I love it when she says "You shot a chicken?"  Her delivery on that is perfect and it makes me laugh every time.

• Love 4

Drop Dead Gorgeous: Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards and Kirstie Alley. So not my normal cup of tea, but the accents and the freak accidents and the ridiculous life-lessons just make me die laughing. The humor is so mean-spirited that it comes back around to almost sweet.

Dracula 2000: Terrible, terrible movie. I have no excuse. But it's got Jeri Ryan and Jennifer Esposito and James Marsters for a second and what I consider the career end-point of Vitamin C. You remember Vitamin C, surely? ♫As we go on, we remember, all the times we had together. And as our lives change, come whatever, we will still be friends forever♫ No? Well she dies in it, in case you hated that song.

Space Jam: It's still charming, even though the horrible truth about Michael Jordan and some of the other pro athletes in it has dampened my childhood enthusiasm. It also has a commentary track by Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. But then there's also R. Kelly singing in a children's movie and it's back to repulsion again. I have a complicated relationship with this film.

• Love 1

Drop Dead Gorgeous is so much fun, I agree. I watched it again recently and laughed a lot.

Adventures in Babysitting was one of my favorite movies when I was younger, and it holds up. 

I also watched Big Business, Outrageous Fortune, and Ruthless People many, many times as a child. (I bet they were edited-for-TV versions, though. I should rewatch!)

I love Psycho Beach Party. It's a spoof of the beach party/Gidget movies... so weird and funny. Nicholas Brendon and Lauren Ambrose (and Amy Adams and Thomas Gibson) are in it!

• Love 1

Valley Girl - fer sure.  Phenomenal music of the period.  Most especially, "Million Miles Away" by the Plimsouls captures the urgency of the love story and the vibe of the club scene marvelously.  Some good social commentary about classism and culture, too.

Dave - I loved seeing a depiction of the real evil that runs things in DC.  It's nice to hope that a genuine approach without constant tests of status, privilege, power, and prestige could work.  I absolutely love the score, which has been used on other productions, as well.  The speech in the House at the end evokes the very best of Capra, for which I am a complete sucker.

• Love 4

TCM is showing "Mr Sardonicus" this month.  That's from the late great William Castle who always had nutty PR schemes attached to his movies.  It's always a must watch for me.

For newer movies, I love "Remember the Titans"  which is based on a true story about an African American man (Denzel Washington) who becomes the coach of a high school football team in 1970's Virginia after busing integrates the formerly all-white school.  It's filled with cliches and you know exactly what's going to happen but it's still a really nicely done movie.  

A very young Hayden Panetierre plays a football mad little girl.

• Love 3

I try to watch "The Oscar" whenever it's on.  

I've been scouring the net for a dvd of this movie for years! Trashy Jaqueline Susan/Jackie Collins genre unintended comedy gold. Too bad this movie was before Pia Zadora's time, she'd have been perfect in it. 

I wouldn't call "Remember the Titans" a stupid movie.  I think it's a good movie.  Everyone I know who has seen it, loves it.  Though it does fall into the category of I "watch over and over".  If I'm channel surfing and it's on, I have to stop and watch.  Even if it's already 2 in the morning, or if I'll be late for something.  There's just something about that movie that grabs me.

• Love 3

And I love Independence Day.

Yeah, I can't seem to just pass by Independence Day when I'm channel surfing.  I have to stop and watch it--even if only for a few minutes.

That 2nd quote was mine.  Guess who only got about 6 hours of sleep last night because Independence Day was just starting and it kept me up until around midnight?  ::yawn::

• Love 1

I wouldn't call "Remember the Titans" a stupid movie.  I think it's a good movie.  Everyone I know who has seen it, loves it.  Though it does fall into the category of I "watch over and over".

I wouldn't call it stupid, either.  I have it on DVD, but despite the ability to watch it any time I want without commercials, I still watch it every time I come across it on TV.  Which is often.

• Love 5

Better Off Dead. Anyone remember that? It hasn't been on in a long time, but I used to watch it whenever it appeared on a tv near me.

Any of the Fast & Furious movies. I don't even know for sure which ones I have seen & which ones I haven't, but if they appeared on cable & I happen upon them, I stop & watch.

XXX, actually most Vin Diesel movies. I think I'm a little addicted to trying to decipher his dialogue. He's such a mumbler that it's a challenge.

• Love 2

Any of the Fast & Furious movies. I don't even know for sure which ones I have seen & which ones I haven't, but if they appeared on cable & I happen upon them, I stop & watch.

Oh man, I LOVE the F&F movies. (Except for the third one. I've expunged Tokyo Drift from my memory.) As far as I'm concerned, they are the epitome of the dumb but fun movie. They are what silly summer action blockbusters should aspire to be. 

• Love 3

They're showing one of my all time favorite "dumb" movies later this month on TCM: Garden of the Moon.  It's a semi-musical comedy about a nightclub owner (Pat O'Brien) who hires an unknown orchestra to play at his nightclub after his original choice (Rudy Vallee) is injured in a car accident  It's one of the movies Bette Davis refused to star in because it was so bad.

It's actually not very good but come on, how can you not love a movie with songs like "She's the Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish?" or "I'm in Love with the Lady on the 2 Cent Stamp?"  

• Love 1

Drop Dead Gorgeous: Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards and Kirstie Alley. So not my normal cup of tea, but the accents and the freak accidents and the ridiculous life-lessons just make me die laughing. The humor is so mean-spirited that it comes back around to almost sweet.

Drop Dead Gorgeous is one of my favorite comedies of all time. It gets funnier each time I watch it. It's also very quotable.

Not sure if it's a "stupid" movie, but if I come across Pitch Perfect on TV, I will absolutely watch it again for the millionth time. And at least once a year I watch Major League and cry at the last 5 minutes like an idiot.

• Love 4

And at least once a year I watch Major League and cry at the last 5 minutes like an idiot

I love Major League.  I can't listen to Wild Thing without thinking "I hate this f*g song."  Again, it's all in the delivery.  Here's a story, and I know--I'm awful:  You know how sometimes something strikes you as funny and you get the giggles at the most inappropriate times?  Well, I was in church committee meeting and they were talking about how they had to update the members' phone numbers and addresses.  One person said "Some of the members on the list have died" and the first thing that went through my mind was "Well, cross them off then".  I started giggling and had to leave the room for a few minutes.  There's a place reserved for me in hell, I'm sure. 

• Love 8

George Clooney may hate that he did it but I adore Return of the Killer Tomatoes. I always laugh and there are so many great jokes. They were ahead of Wayne's World by a couple of years with the product placement jokes and took it to a completely different level.

Best lol moment - George Clooney offering himself up as second prize in a fake win a date with Rob Lowe contest.

And can someone please help me find an FT doll? He could join Eeyore, Olaf and Sharktopus at my desk at work!

• Love 2

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion! I have to watch it once a year, and I rarely rewatch any movie. I was actually still in high school when it came out, and I wasn't one of the cool kids; the movie was a tongue-in-cheek "it gets better" message.

• Love 8

Sleepaway Camp!  I didn't even realize there was a third one, but I do love showing the first one to people.  And I'll cop to having the second one, too.

Shifting gears, I watch Miss Congeniality every time it's on TV and cannot explain why.  I like Sandra Bullock, Candice Bergen and Michael Caine, but I loathe everything beauty pageants stand for and the film tries to sell them as some great feat of sisterhood.  And the tacked-on romance between Bullock and Bratt's characters is too awful for words.  Very much a stupid movie in my book.  And yet, I watch.  The sequel I tend to skip, even though I like Regina King, unless I happen upon the scene with Dolly Parton. 

Which brings me to another one: Rhinestone.  Stupid personified, if, you know, a film was a person.  And yet, it has been part of my collection on VHS, laserdisc and DVD.  The powers of Dolly.

• Love 2

Which brings me to another one: Rhinestone.  Stupid personified, if, you know, a film was a person.  And yet, it has been part of my collection on VHS, laserdisc and DVD.  The powers of Dolly.

I loved that movie when I was a kid!  Watched it over and over. Can still throw out a few quotes, too ("I'm lying in the road, looking at a duck".) 

I really like Miss Congeniality, too.  Again, many quotable lines in that one, with my favorite being about her talent being nothing more than converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. 

John Travolta was in a terrible movie in the 90's called Michael, playing an angel of all things. My mother, though, unabashedly loves it. I call her every time I see it on and we re-watch it. My family also has a weird attachment to another 90's film,  Twister.

I myself am partial to Can't Hardly Wait and The Craft. Every time.

I bind you Nancy from doing harm...

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved that movie when I was a kid!  Watched it over and over. Can still throw out a few quotes, too ("I'm lying in the road, looking at a duck".)

....I can sing the chorus to the final song *flees the forum*

Edited by spaceytraci1208
(edited)
....I can sing the chorus to the final song *flees the forum*

Come back!  I can sing every song in the film.  Including that one guy's fantastically awful audition song about his fiance getting killed by a tractor.  "That really happened to my Loretta!"

Edited by Bastet

I don't know if it's stupid or not because I unabashedly love it: While You Were Sleeping. My family quotes it all the time. My parents & sister's family do too, as well as many of our friends. Just the line, "Caesar Romero was tall" will do us all in.

Midge: Mmm. These mashed potatoes are so creamy. Mary: You like brunettes. Elsie: I could never make a good pot roast. Ox: You need good beef. Saul: Argentina has great beef. Ox: Beef and Nazis. Saul: John Wayne was tall. Ox: Dustin Hoffman was five-six. Saul: Would you wanna see Dustin Hoffman save the Alamo? Midge: These mashed potatoes are so creamy. Ox: Spain has good beef. Midge: Mary mashed 'em. Saul: Caesar romero was tall. Elsie: Caesar Romero was not Spanish. Saul: I didn't say Caesar Romero was Spanish. Elsie: Well, what did you say? Saul: I said Caesar Romero was tall. Elsie: We all know he's tall. Saul: Well, that's what I said.

• Love 2
(edited)
Sleepaway Camp!  I didn't even realize there was a third one, but I do love showing the first one to people.  And I'll cop to having the second one, too.

Actually, there are 4 Sleepaway Camps - Return to Sleepaway Camp was released in the early 2000's and included several actors from the first one, including the original Ricky.

As a lover of bad movies I have way to many too put on here but any kind of large or strange animal attacks film is sure to catch my eye. I have been known to lose an entire day to the SyFy channel lol. I am thrilled that I will be seeing Sharknado in the theater with the guys from Rifftrax making fun of it in July.

Shark Attack 3: Megaladon - any film that crosses stock footage with blue screen affects in the same shot is certainly worth multiple viewings. Plus it has one of the best lines in cinematic history! Poor John Barrowman could not look less interested in the lead actress if he tried.

Jaws 3 - Dennis Quaid, Lea Thompson and Louis Gossett Jr. in the same film fighting a ridiculously large fake shark. This one actually had some good acting and well written character scenes but the shark, oh the shark. It manages to barely eat anyone in the entire film while attacking Sea World! Just silly but a lot of fun.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 1
(edited)
Oh, and Summer School! It was another one I would stop and watch whenever it was on (which was A LOT in the late 80's/very early 90's)

I watched the crap out of this when I was younger. I never see it on anymore, but I would absolutely watch it right now if I could.

Revenge of the Nerds and part 2. Part 2 is horrible, really, but the first film still makes me laugh. 

Mortal Kombat owns this thread for me. It's only as an adult that I'm able to watch and truly appreciate just how cheesy it is because when I was thirteen? It was the best. film. ever.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 2

Speaking of Revenge of the Nerds, who could forget Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I have stolen some choice quotes from that one over time, my fave?

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I am fine. 

::giggle::

• Love 2

Jeebus Cripes, I couldn't be more with you on both Mortal Kombat movies. I will still will never get over the hope of someone re-adapting that franchise again, hopefully doing it by being more faithful to the characters true backstories, like Scorpion. There was a game series that made some videos starring Jeri Ryan as Sonia and others and it was so good, getting my hopes even higher. Oh well. I will continue to dream.

Snow White and the Three Stooges is one of my all time favorite bad movies. No one alive could pitch this movie and make it sound good:

"Okay, we've got the story of Snow White, you with me?"

"Sure, always a classic, but the Disney movie is a hard act to follow…"

"Like fun it is! I'm going to make everyone forget the Disney version, because I've got a heck of choice to play Snow White!"

"Natalie Wood?"

"No, better!"

"Leslie Caron?"

"No, beter!"

"Holy crap, you really think you can get Audrey Hepburn?!"

"No, even better! Carol Heiss!"

"…Carol Heiss?"

"You got it!"

"She's an ice-skater."

"I know!"

"Why would you cast an ice-skater as Snow White?"

"Come on, she's an Olympic sweetheart! We can stage ice ballets to showcase her! It worked for Sonja Henie!"

"What does ice skating have to do with the story of Snow White?"

"Eh, we'll make it work somehow!"

"I don't remember any ice skating in the story…"

"Shut up, wait 'til you hear who I have in mind for the seven dwarves!"
"I'm now afraid to ask."

"Instead of seven dwarves, we'll cast the Three Stooges!"

"Um, aren't they getting a little long in the tooth? And they haven't been the same since Curly died. And I'm sure Curly Joe is a sweetheart, but, bless his heart, he just isn't as good..."

"Ah, we'll make them work! But we won't introduce them until nearly twenty minutes into the movie!"

"Won't that bother their fans? After all, they're more famous than Carol Heiss…"

"And the most Stooge-like thing they'll do will be a pie fight!"

"I don't think…"

"And there will be songs, lots of 'em! Sung by someone else, of course, 'cause I'm sure Ms. Heiss can't sing a note!"

"Ummmm…"

"And the love interest will be this strapping, amnesiac muscle-head who wears skintight, flesh-toned clothes that the Stooges adopted from boyhood, and it won't be weirdly homoerotic at all! And the evil Queen will be driven more by power than vanity! And there will be a magic wishing sword! And the prince will awaken Snow White just by asking her and hugging her! And they will skate off into the sunset with the Stooges' stunt doubles close behind! And- hey, where are you going?"

But, damn it all, I own this stupid movie and I watch it at least once a year. It is, at least, enjoyable awful. Weird trivia… one of the screenwriters (yes, plural) was Noel Langley, who was also one of the screenwriters for The Wizard of Oz! How he went from there to Snow White and the Three Stooges will always baffle me.

• Love 3
(edited)

Cap'n Ron. When the entire family realizes they're in Cuba. And the part where Martin Short dismisses Kurt Russell's claim that there are gorillas/guerillas in the woods.

But I really like the end when the boat is beautifully completed, everyone is relaxed and happy, and they want to continue the adventure because Martin's character has grown as a father.

Oh and of course a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean!

Edited by scout1207
  • Love 2

Jeebus Cripes, I couldn't be more with you on both Mortal Kombat movies. I will still will never get over the hope of someone re-adapting that franchise again, hopefully doing it by being more faithful to the characters true backstories, like Scorpion. There was a game series that made some videos starring Jeri Ryan as Sonia and others and it was so good, getting my hopes even higher. Oh well. I will continue to dream.

I'm afraid we have to part ways on MK: Annihilation. That one angers my blood, but the online series was pretty good. It was a little hit or miss in terms of each episode, but Ian Anthony Dale as Scorpion is awesome. Also, the Raiden episode was weird as hell, but I dug it. Did you see the second season of the series where they got Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa back as Shang Tsung?

Cap'n Ron. When the entire family realizes they're in Cuba. And the part where Martin Short dismisses Kurt Russell's claim that there are gorillas/guerillas in the woods.

But I really like the end when the boat is beautifully completed, everyone is relaxed and happy, and they want to continue the adventure because Martin's character has grown as a father.

Oh and of course a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean!

I love Captain Ron! Another Kurt Russell one is Tango & Cash. I once saw a house with an enormous poster for it on the outside door. I immediately came to the conclusion that those were the coolest people in the neighborhood. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I myself am partial to Can't Hardly Wait and The Craft. Every time.

I bind you Nancy from doing harm...

I loved me some of The Craft. My contemporaries as witches--how could I not love that? Now, Fairuza Balk makes expensive candles for Hollywood types and rich people. I actually watched a documentary or special to find that out. She's my oh-so-cuckoo spirit animal.

Edited by bilgistic

I love that movie "Clue" That whole cast worked so well together. Could watch them movie anytime its on. "Flames. Flaammes on the side of my face" heheee

• Love 9
I love that movie "Clue" That whole cast worked so well together. Could watch them movie anytime its on. "Flames. Flaammes on the side of my face" heheee

Heh.  No one in my family can count without starting off with, "One plus two plus two plus one..."

• Love 4

Heh. No one in my family can count without starting off with, "One plus two plus two plus one..."

I do the same thing."No,No Its one plus one plus two plus one.

• Love 3

I know Clue verbatim, and rather than being a stupid movie, I think its humor is actually quite sharp.  There's wonderful social commentary mixed in with the fun.

"Communism is just a red herring."

• Love 5

Drop Dead Gorgeous is a great movie, I just watched it the other day

"Fuckin' beauty queens blowing chunks everywhere. I've never seen anything like it before, and I live in L.A."....... Awesome

• Love 2

Drop Dead Gorgeous is a great movie, I just watched it the other day

"Fuckin' beauty queens blowing chunks everywhere. I've never seen anything like it before, and I live in L.A."....... Awesome

I love the part just before that with Alison Janney and the waiter coming out of the hotel room, "Oh God, do you think they heard us?" Drop Dead Gorgeous is such an underrated film, for some reason, my favorite quote is when Kirstie Alley gets arrested and says: "Oh God, it's Cops! My husband sells reproductions; his furniture's as fake as my orgasms!"

(edited)

Clue is one of my all-time favorites. There isn't a single line in there that isn't memorable. I find myself breaking out into the most random ones at time. "This is war Peacock!"

Edited by ASign