Type keyword(s) to search

In And Around Charleston: The REAL Southern Charm

• Start Topic

I saw Patricia Altschul around town over the weekend.  She was with a gentleman at the Macaroon Boutique.  She looks tiny in person with great skin- carrying what looked like an Hermes bag.

• Love 3

Charleston is flooded, it's bad. Those nice big homes downtown have water lapping at their doors. Friends showed me photos of people getting around in canoes and kayaks.

That is just awful for everyone harmed by this latest storm.  :-(

My rain gauge has overflowed twice. It holds 10 inches. People in and around Charleston have been losing power as well, so not only are you dealing with getting your car above water, keeping your house dry, you are doing it in the dark.

• Love 1

Charleston is flooded, it's bad. Those nice big homes downtown have water lapping at their doors. Friends showed me photos of people getting around in canoes and kayaks.

So sorry. Floods are just horrible. I've been waiting to hear from a couple of Chas friends whose homes I pray are ok. Another friend is to close on the sale of a condo there on Monday so praying also it will go through as scheduled. What a mess.

• Love 1

A friend just shared this with me. She has a store across the street on the left, with the sandbags in front. This photo is from a flood two years ago. She said she's been closed since Thursday. Also, it's Charles St., not King.

image.jpg1_zpsglzhlgoy.jpg

• Love 1

That's sad. I have Charleston friends -- so far all their homes are dry -- and love to visit them and walk around downtown. It'll take a while to clean up after this

ETA: But I know Charlestonians, and they'll bounce back!

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

How bad is the flooding? Is it continuing to rain in Charleston? What about historical locations?

Flooding is not fun at all. I remember the 2010 floods in Nashville when the waters went above stranded semi trucks on the interstate and went as high as second story buildings and homes. I was 7 months pregnant with a husband in Iraq. It was scary.

I pray for everyone's safety in Charleston and surrounding areas!

Edited by corter20
  • Love 3

I heard on the 6 pm news that 70 miles of the main interstate was closed, and many, many side roads. It was pitiful to see families who had to be rescued, with their pets, by boat... in tears.... because the water came up out of nowhere all at once. It's bad. Friends of mine in Mt. Pleasant have not gotten in touch to let me know they are OK. I am sure they are, but they may be without power, hunched up on the second floor.

And as of right now, yes it is still raining. Hard, red/orange/yellow bands.

• Love 1

Seventy five miles of Interstate 95 is STILL closed along with smaller parts of I-20 and I-26.  There are over 450 road closures throughout the state of South Carolina.  As bad as it is in the Charleston tri-county area (Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester), it is much worse in the Columbia area.   The rain in the Charleston area cleared out by this afternoon and the bulk of the floodwaters have receded so most people are at least able to return to their homes to survey damage.  One family in a particularly bad hit West Ashley community returned to their flooded out home today to find that it had been burglarized. :(  People are still being asked to stay off the roads as much as possible because many roads and especially smaller bridges have been structurally damaged by the flooding. North Charleston and Dorchester County had curfews for the past few nights.  I think N. Charleston's has been lifted.  In the Columbia area the waters are not receding anywhere near as quickly as has happened in the Lowcountry.  There have been numerous dam breaches in the Midlands and river flooding is now anticipated as the floodwaters find their way to the rivers and down into the Lowcountry toward the ocean.  A couple of counties over from Charleston, any residents within a mile of the Edisto River are being told to evacuate.  The current flooding is considered minor but by Saturday they are expecting the river to be 6 feet above flood level which obviously is life-threatening.  All schools in the tri-county are closed and will still be closed tomorrow.  Many shops and restaurants have been closed since Friday but I would anticipate that a good percentage will be opening again tomorrow.  (I read somewhere that Sermet's has remained open throughout!)  I'm just so glad that it has finally stopped raining.  Some of the heaviest hit areas received 25 inches of rain!  Positively unreal.

• Love 1

As much as I'm happy to be out of her life I do hope my ex-mother-in-law in Mt. Pleasant is safe from any flooding.

The area around Boone Hall (Long Point Rd.) in Mount Pleasant received some of the very highest rain totals in the area.  They went over 25".  I hope your ex-MIL is OK.

My friend and her family are OK... and Bravo has a page about the Southern Charm cast and what they are doing to help.

Very glad you were finally able to get good news about your friend and her family, Cooks.  

I'll have to go check out the Bravo page.

Although the sun is finally shining in the Lowcountry, downtown Charleston is once again experiencing tidal flooding as I type this post. :(

And more and more of the rivers are approaching major flood stage. :(

I'm beyond glad that the rain has stopped but the crisis is far from over.

• Love 1

The area around Boone Hall (Long Point Rd.) in Mount Pleasant received some of the very highest rain totals in the area.  They went over 25".  I hope your ex-MIL is OK.

It's been more than 10 years since my divorce so I don't recall exactly where her neighborhood was.  She used to live in Snee Farm but moved quite some time ago and her new subdivision was in the same general area.  Thanks for the info.

• Love 1

Not sure where to put this query, but it is about the "real" Charleston...

Did anyone hear of any GOP candidates doing everything possible to avoid getting TRav's endorsement?  Did anyone actually seek it?  Did he give one?  Did he appear with any of them?

Certainly, this could be fodder for the upcoming season, right?

Was flipping channels and they were interviewing an athlete about the murder of his mother in Charleston.

So I Googled crime rates.   Crime rate in Charelston is about half that of the US average according to one site.

However crime rate in Moncks Corner is about five times higher than in Charleston.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Charleston-South-Carolina.html

The overall crime index appears to be raised by the much higher rate in North Charleston.  Meanwhile the rate in the area by the coast looks low.  Presumably that is the charming, downtown part?

Charleston itself is quite a safe city.  The charming downtown area is on the small peninsula located between the Ashley and Cooper Rivers right near the end of I-26 on the map.  Some of the areas on the coast are part of the City of Charleston (west of the Ashley) and some are the City of Mount Pleasant (east of the Cooper.)  North Charleston is not a section of Charleston but is its own city, with its own city government, police force, etc.  More of the violent crime in the area does occur in N. Chs than occurs in Chs.

I'm curious though if the athlete who was being interviewed whose mother was murdered might have been Chris Singleton?  He is an outfielder for the Charleston Southern University baseball team and his mother was one of the Emanuel Nine.  With it being the first Mother's Day since that terrible, horrible night, I have been thinking of that young man, his siblings and the family members of all the victims. That massacre did occur in downtown, peninsular Charleston.

Yes it was Chris Singleton.

Thanks for the breakdown of the area.

It was interesting that Monck's Corner has so much crime.  Show gave the sense that it was out in the boondocks, more rural.  But it must be a city to have a certain level of crime.

Wow that peninsula where the downtown is located looks like an uvula.

Omg! You're not kidding! That's a nightmare. I'm horrified by finding little lizards in my house every other day, I can't imagine waking up to a freaking alligator! (By the way, if anyone knows how to keep the lizards from entering my house, please let me know!)

Alligator mating season is always at the very least, interesting down here but this season has sparked more incredibly brazen alligator stories than I ever recall.  I truly believe that Hurricane Matthew last October must have had a serious effect on gator habitats to cause this much crazy movement all along the coast.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Alligator mating season is always at the very least, interesting down here but this season has sparked more incredibly brazen alligator stories than I ever recall.  I truly believe that Hurricane Matthew last October must have had a serious effect on gator habitats to cause this much crazy movement all along the coast.

That is NOT what I want to hear! I'll be there from this Sunday to Wednesday to visit a friend. Now I'll be on gator watch. 

I have not confessed to her just how into this show I am. She and her friends there all scoff at it and (claim they) don't watch. (I'll bet some do!)

I accidentally ended up at Republic on my last visit, when I was with a friend who also does not live there. We were looking for somewhere to hang out after 9 pm and they had a good cover band playing in the outdoor courtyard. Only realized it was the place from the show when I was walking in and saw the name on the door. One thing that surprised me, because I have always thought of Chas as a "party town", was that on a Thursday night all the King Street bars were shutting down at 10 pm! My local friend laughed and said, "Yeah, I was surprised you found anywhere to go after 9:30."

So Charlestonians, anything going on this coming week that's SoCharm related? I'm missing Pat's book appearance and signing by one week, bummer.

• Love 1