Type keyword(s) to search

Lucifer: Devilishly Debonair

In the ads, Mr. Ellis looks like he is having a blast, even when being choked by an angelic-type of creature.

I caught a Christmas episode of Miranda with him. He seemed fun on that, just not in the ballpark of... naughty that this new role will be dealing with, I feel pretty safe in saying.

January 25 seems still too far off. *sigh*  ::goes to drool over trailers::

• Love 3

I have loved Tom since I started watching Miranda back in 2009. I remember he was on an episode of Once -- he was the original Robin Hood but couldn't commit to further episodes because Rush got picked up. Both shows were actually filmed here in Vancouver, but I never made it to stalk the set.

I'm hoping Lucifer makes it; the pilot was a mixed bag for me but I've read the next episodes are stronger.

• Love 1

I have loved Tom since I started watching Miranda back in 2009. I remember he was on an episode of Once -- he was the original Robin Hood but couldn't commit to further episodes because Rush got picked up. Both shows were actually filmed here in Vancouver, but I never made it to stalk the set.

I'm hoping Lucifer makes it; the pilot was a mixed bag for me but I've read the next episodes are stronger.

I loved Miranda too! I watched all of Rush because I love Tom but so far 2 episodes into Lucifer he seems to be "clicking" with this character so much more than Rush.The bits of comedy/lightness may have a lot to do with that and given Tom previously worked with Miranda Hart it makes sense he's doing well (though the scenes have been brief) with Rachael Harris. I do hope we see more of Lucifer actually being dark since he is/was the ruler of hell, but I'm finding him entertaining as is. I just fear the plot will either go off the rails or get painfully predictable. But for now I'm liking Lucifer more than I thought I would.... That's a weird thing to type!

Paradise Lost was a page-turner compared to Billy Budd.

Aw, I loved Billy Budd. And "Bartleby the Scrivener." Leave my Melville alone.

Back on topic, I love what Ellis is doing with this role. Having previously seen him on Miranda and Merlin, he has unexpectedly impressive range.

• Love 1

Can anyone familiar with the comics say if they address what exactly happens to people who see Lucifer's devil face? Is there a difference in what happens between the full face and just changing his eyes? With the guy this past episode, I can't tell if he jumped off the building because he was insane having seen Lucifer's face or just scared as hell and jumped? Is the reaction suppose to be proportional to their actions? I know it doesn't mean the show will follow the comic but I'm curious since I'm personally thinking its all proportional to the person on the receiving ends actions. I'm also assuming there's a difference between just his eye-thing he's done and the full face.  We saw the fake preacher get terrified by him but we don't know if he ended up locked away anywhere like Jimmy who had one girl killed that we know of and shot both Chloe and Lucifer, could he have just been scared straight by his errors of fake preaching? He and Jimmy don't deserve the same fate. I can't imagine the show would have us think anything more than being scared into being nicer happened to that girl picking on Trixie, since that's all a kid being a jerk on snapchat deserves, but could that be the difference in just seeing his eyes and not full face or is both always proportional? Unless they're setting something up where Lucifer comes to realize showing humans his face/eyes on Earth has a stronger impact than he intended? Obviously he didn't want that guy to jump off the building, could at that point Lucifer have been just losing his temper on this guy he wanted to eventually punish, the face came out, and the guy jumped, since, y'know, he saw the devil so Lucifer didn't think that through and/or lost control too early? With Dr Linda I'm thinking the face didn't come out because he was just angry at the situation in general so he had a violent outburst, Dr. Linda didn't do anything punishable, so therefore no face at all?

Can anyone familiar with the comics say if they address what exactly happens to people who see Lucifer's devil face? Is there a difference in what happens between the full face and just changing his eyes? With the guy this past episode, I can't tell if he jumped off the building because he was insane having seen Lucifer's face or just scared as hell and jumped? Is the reaction suppose to be proportional to their actions? I know it doesn't mean the show will follow the comic but I'm curious since I'm personally thinking its all proportional to the person on the receiving ends actions. I'm also assuming there's a difference between just his eye-thing he's done and the full face.  We saw the fake preacher get terrified by him but we don't know if he ended up locked away anywhere like Jimmy who had one girl killed that we know of and shot both Chloe and Lucifer, could he have just been scared straight by his errors of fake preaching? He and Jimmy don't deserve the same fate. I can't imagine the show would have us think anything more than being scared into being nicer happened to that girl picking on Trixie, since that's all a kid being a jerk on snapchat deserves, but could that be the difference in just seeing his eyes and not full face or is both always proportional? Unless they're setting something up where Lucifer comes to realize showing humans his face/eyes on Earth has a stronger impact than he intended? Obviously he didn't want that guy to jump off the building, could at that point Lucifer have been just losing his temper on this guy he wanted to eventually punish, the face came out, and the guy jumped, since, y'know, he saw the devil so Lucifer didn't think that through and/or lost control too early? With Dr Linda I'm thinking the face didn't come out because he was just angry at the situation in general so he had a violent outburst, Dr. Linda didn't do anything punishable, so therefore no face at all?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of less than satisfying news .... but

In the comics he doesn't do the face. That's a product of the series alone. The same with the "deepest desires" power. Don't get me wrong, he's incredibly powerful but more on a "Creator" level than demonic.  Like this one instance where Elaine's foster father is abusing her, Lucifer reaches through time/space and touches the man to give him a heart attack.  It's implied he does something like this every time her foster father mistreats her until the man learns cause and affect.  In the comics he's a lot more dry witted, been there, done that, low key than he is in the series and the way you know you've pissed him off is he "LOOKS" at you with these hard gold eyes and an arched devilish eyebrow. It doesn't drive people insane but it does make them mind their manners when he does it.

Image below

This is about as close as you get to a demonic face. Glowing red eyes. VHipzEr.jpg

• Love 1

I'm sorry to be the bearer of less than satisfying news .... but

In the comics he doesn't do the face. That's a product of the series alone. The same with the "deepest desires" power. Don't get me wrong, he's incredibly powerful but more on a "Creator" level than demonic.  Like this one instance where Elaine's foster father is abusing her, Lucifer reaches through time/space and touches the man to give him a heart attack.  It's implied he does something like this every time her foster father mistreats her until the man learns cause and affect.  In the comics he's a lot more dry witted, been there, done that, low key than he is in the series and the way you know you've pissed him off is he "LOOKS" at you with these hard gold eyes and an arched devilish eyebrow. It doesn't drive people insane but it does make them mind their manners when he does it.

Image below

This is about as close as you get to a demonic face. Glowing red eyes. VHipzEr.jpg

Thanks for the information!

I like the show wanting to have their "own" stuff then. Between the comics and if course the Bible there are two things that people are going to draw from and copying the comic exactly would probably seem repetitive to fans of the comic and getting too Biblical may alienate some people. So why not play around.

That and in my opinion the comic Lucifer would not translate so well on network TV.

The one big draw most of us have pointed to, has been Tom Ellis' charm and energy in the role.  The comic version is very dry, and otherworldly.  Don't get me wrong, the writing is excellent and Lucifer has emotions, is engaging and you're fascinated to watch him in action but he's a study in nuance and in fact the writers use other characters as a way to bridge the gap between the audience and Lucifer a lot of the time.

Trying to think how to put it.  Even when you're reading the books you get the impression that Lucifer could not care less if he has an audience or not.  But for a network TV they needed Lucifer to be more proactively engaging because obviously the show runners DO need an audience. ;)  

Though I really do have to give these show runners and writers full props.  They are still working most of Lucifer's character traits from the comics, his motivations, etc into the character but at the same time keeping him more proactively engaging to a wider audience.  

• Love 2

I am new to this show so I hope you will allow me a question.  So the blond is Lucifer's therapist, and they have slept together right from the beginning, no?  Are the two black characters good or bad?  Are we led to believe that Lucifer is capable of love?

Thank you for your help.

Dr. Linda and Lucifer met during the first investigation in the first episode and the original deal was information on one of her patients in exchange for sex, but now it's sex and therapy for himself.

Mazikeen is a demon and Lucifer's personal servant. She followed him out of hell but really wants them both to go back. She enjoys torturing people. So, yeah she's not 'good'. But she's not yet so evil that she goes out at night looking for random people to torture/kill.

Amenadeil's an Angel and therefor technically good. He believes he's good. God seems to have assigned him the job of getting Lucifer back to hell, and, it seems that if he doesn't he'll be taking the job in hell which he really doesn't want either. He's doing some UnAngelic things (lying about his identity to Dr. Linda to use her to manipulate Lucifer, setting plans into motion that ended up getting a human killed, for examples) in his pursuit of getting Lucifer to go back to hell, which again is both what God wants and what benefits his own preservation. So that's kind of hard to answer at this point.

Lucifer seems to be experiencing new emotions, much to his own surprise each week. So far love isn't in his range, but,it probably will be.  One could argue he had to have loved 'Dad' (God) in order to be so hurt/angry by his rejection.

Edited by Gigi43

Mazikeen is a demon and Lucifer's personal servant. She followed him out of hell but really wants them both to go back. She enjoys torturing people. So, yeah she's not 'good'. But she's not yet so evil that she goes out at night looking for random people to torture/kill.

Lucifer has something of a sense of honor, in that people should deserve their punishment; I don't see Maze going against him on that.

Tom Ellis and the promo with the little girl was what got me to watch this series.  But by the sixth episode, Lucifer wasn't so much dashing and charming as skeevy.  It's a difficult line to walk but I think Ellis has gone too far to the creepy side and I want to tell both the cop and the therapist to find someone else.

He does veer more towards skeevy for me now too. IDK If it's because I'm kind of tired of his schtick or if TE is playing it up more but I find myself more and more able to resist him the longer the show goes. It would be pretty cool to think it was done on purpose, to show Luci is losing his mojo but I doubt it. I think he is just wearing thin for me.

• Love 1

Maybe I'm being ridiculously hopeful, if so I'll own that, but I think in this episode in particular Lucifer was deliberately, OOT impossible for a purpose.

Because to me, there was a definite shift in his tone, a downshift from the manic/boorish tenor, after he came to that realization with the murderer about "wanting someone to see you a certain way and they never will."

After that scene with the killer, when he was smoking outside and Chloe came to talk to him, he was more subdued and not being as inappropriate at her as he had been for the first 45 minutes of the episode; he even calls Dan by his name.  Then when he went to Linda and she cut off their physical relationship, he was nothing but respectful of her wishes, made no move to try to change her mind, didn't even make a lewd joke. 

Even with Maze, as angry as he was, he wasn't baffoonish about it or going on about how she betrayed him.  He did mention it as "you betrayed me and that's that" there was no overly emotional "what about me, what about our history, how could you do thhhhiiisss" BS, just done.

So call me a fool ;)  but I really do think his utterly impossible, inappropriate, boorish and buffoonish-ness in the first 45 minutes of this episode was deliberate to show the abrupt switch when he came to his realization at the end, rather than a permanent path for the character.  I suppose we'll see in the next episode but I predict we won't see Lucifer inappropriately propositioning Chloe or the abuse of the word 'douche' in respect to Dan going forward.

• Love 6

He does veer more towards skeevy for me now too. IDK If it's because I'm kind of tired of his schtick or if TE is playing it up more but I find myself more and more able to resist him the longer the show goes. It would be pretty cool to think it was done on purpose, to show Luci is losing his mojo but I doubt it. I think he is just wearing thin for me.

You're spot on. I might even rewatch the first episode to see if it's the character changing or me. But he is cocky with this player thing in a way like Danny Blue in Hustle. But Marc Warren made Danny adorable and the other characters kind of pat him on the head like a naive kid, where this Lucifer character is just annoying and pathetic for someone supposed to be the literal devil.

Edited by corgster
  • Love 1

So call me a fool ;)  but I really do think his utterly impossible, inappropriate, boorish and buffoonish-ness in the first 45 minutes of this episode was deliberate to show the abrupt switch when he came to his realization at the end, rather than a permanent path for the character.  I suppose we'll see in the next episode but I predict we won't see Lucifer inappropriately propositioning Chloe or the abuse of the word 'douche' in respect to Dan going forward.

I agree. He told Linda at the beginning of the episode that he wanted the barriers back up. I think the OTT Luciferness was his attempt to put up barriers as was his trying to prove that the problem was external to himself (Chloe's douche-attraction), not internal (jealousy). Once he had the realization at the end and stopped trying to deny or turn off his emotions, he dropped the boorish facade.

I did find the episode a bit uncomfortable to watch (the first time) until he toned it down at the end. I kept wanting Amenadiel to show up and lay another smack down on Lucifer.

Edited by vampdetective
  • Love 1

How Do You Think Chloe Will Handle It When She Finds Out Lucifer Really IS Lucifer??

I think she will be like I was born and raised in LA (city of the future, where they have one of everything on the planet, and where anything goes) I was in the movie industry and I've been a police officer in that same city. I've seen everything there is. This does not really surprise me! Lets go get lunch!

Edited by gwhh

I am not entirely sure why but I find Lucifer less and less attractive as the show goes on. He is coming across more and more smarmy rather than charming. It isn't making me dislike the show at all. I'm fascinated by everything that isn't the whatever that corrupt cop case is called,Palmetto? But Lucy is coming across more and more like an annoying, petulant child. I don't like that side of him though I get it, storywise. It's just really interesting to me that the more annoying he becomes to me, the less physically attractive he becomes and I start seeing more and more flaws.

Still, I am excited to see how his story plays out each week.

• Love 1
(edited)

So do Maze and Lucifer sleep together?

It's suggested, when Mazikeen brought the two Britneys to share, that they at least enjoy a sexual relationship.   

So do Maze and Lucifer sleep together?

It's suggested, when Mazikeen brought the two Britneys to share, that they at least enjoy a sexual relationship.   

Edited by storyskip

At this point I don't think there is a clear "X" reason why Mazikeen dislikes Chloe.

If it were sexual/confidant jealousy then that would be transferred more to Dr. Linda who (up until Eh Tu Doctor) was both Lucifer's sexual partner and the person he was most closely confiding in.  But Mazikeen likes Dr. Linda and all the little hints dropped suggest that Maze isn't someone to get jealous over sex.

It might have something to do with the fact that Chloe was the starting/acceleration point of the changes in Lucifer, which from Maze's perspective are a "danger" to Lucifer.  Or maybe it will end up being something that ties in to why Chloe has always been immune to Lucifer, if the writers decide to go that direction in the story.

In an earlier episode, Lucifer also commented that Maze and his backside get on very well, and his front side too. (Always classy, that Luci.)

I think Maze dislikes Chloe because she sees Chloe as the agent of all the changes Lucifer is going through. It's summed up in that scene where Maze mouths off at Lucifer and he tells her, "Don't you dare disrespect me!" She says, "There he is!" all excited to see the Lord of Hell acting like the Lord of Hell. Then Chloe walks in, Lucifer's expression goes all soft, and Maze sighs, "And there he goes."

Since meeting Chloe, Lucifer's become mortal, which makes Maze's job of protecting him more difficult. And since Maze doesn't go out on cases, she doesn't see how Lucifer routinely defies Chloe and does his own thing. Instead, what she sees is that whenever Chloe visits Lux, Lucifer tends to act deferential around her.

On another topic, any ideas why Lucifer doesn't carry a cell phone? He has no problem using other people's phones. Having his own phone would really help in those situations where Chloe drives off and leaves him stranded! Speaking from experience, hailing a cab in LA is not easy, and Lucifer on public transit is like Lucifer in a T-shirt -- error, error, does not compute.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've wondered about the phone too. So do people always have to go Lux and ask for favors in person?

What I'd like to know more about though is did Lucifer come to Earth knowing about pop culture or does he have a set day of the week dedicated to watching 80s SciFi and various teen movies to catch up?

Edited by Gigi43

What I'd like to know more about though is did Lucifer come to Earth knowing about pop culture or does he have a set day of the week dedicated to watching 80s SciFi and various teen movies to catch up?

Maybe he learned about pop culture from the humans sent to Hell -- some chitchat between bouts of torture and punishment. Other options could be occasional daytrips to Earth (like Amenadiel) before his permanent vacation, or Hell having some (very) remote surveillance of Earth.

Besides teen movies and 80s scifi, he's also apparently a fan of B-movie vampires, Star Wars (the original trilogy, at least) and Harry Potter. Wouldn't MST3K with Lucifer be a blast!!

Yeah, and can he have children?  He sure does get around a lot.

I assume Lucifer shoots blanks because if God doesn't intend angels to procreate with each other (much less humans), why would he create them with that ability? Although the amount of child support payments could explain Luci's aversion to children and why Lux is operating at a loss...

Rewatching the pilot, I noticed Lucifer called Chloe by her given name twice -- when she was shot and later saying goodbye in the hospital scene. Are there any other times he called her "Chloe" instead of "Detective"? I can't recall any...

Lack of fertility for angels other than Michael was a plot point in the comics, though they also didn't have genitals when physically manifested and the show clearly departs from the source material in that respect.

Lack of fertility for angels other than Michael was a plot point in the comics, though they also didn't have genitals when physically manifested and the show clearly departs from the source material in that respect.

Well something happened with Ibriel and Lilith because that's how Braidach ended up in the world. ;)

The source material is a little bit of a mess on this subject.  I can't remember who exactly says it (I think Lucifer says it but it may have been narration) that angels are all sterile except where Michael has been imprisoned and used to try to create that army of warrior angels resulting in Elaine Belloc.  And yes, they are usually depicted as genderless (Ken doll style) in the art.  But then you have Ibriel and Lilith = Braidach so that breaks the rules a bit.

I get the feeling the authors kinda squinted sideways and just went with what they needed and I also think there are strict rules on drawn male genitalia (at least back then) in comics.

Regardless one thing we do know from the source material is Samael/Lucifer always kept it in his pants.  With Lilith (she implied that she was someone he talked too, intellectually, rather than knocking boots) and even with Mazikeen.  Even though Mazikeen was called his consort, we never saw more than a kiss / hugs / picnic.

That was the biggest deviation from the comics I had to get used too with the TV show, how sexualized Lucifer is in the show.

As for kids in the TV show I expect that if ever directly asked, the show runners can either fall back on "angels are sterile, he's shooting blanks" or "since Lux operates at a loss, Lucifer bought stock in Durex and is their primary customer" or ... as kind of indicated in "Priest Walks Into a Bar" Luci may start dialing back his need to have sex with anything and everything as he starts to make more genuine friends.

Basically they've got lots of outs to keep a bb!Luci from showing up.  In the same vein, they also have that trope in their pocket if they get to Season 7 and need to shake things up. 

• Love 1

Well something happened with Ibriel and Lilith because that's how Braidach ended up in the world. ;)

The source material is a little bit of a mess on this subject.  I can't remember who exactly says it (I think Lucifer says it but it may have been narration) that angels are all sterile except where Michael has been imprisoned and used to try to create that army of warrior angels resulting in Elaine Belloc.  And yes, they are usually depicted as genderless (Ken doll style) in the art.  But then you have Ibriel and Lilith = Braidach so that breaks the rules a bit.

They later revealed that was due to Lilith's über-fertility as a mother-goddess sort of figure, not anything special about Ibriel. She also mothered an entire army of angels with Sandalphon for their war against Heaven after he had to cancel his archangel breeding program via Michael and Elaine. Basically if anyone so much as looked at her with lust in their eyes, boom, Pregnant!

• Love 1
As for kids in the TV show I expect that if ever directly asked, the show runners can either fall back on "angels are sterile, he's shooting blanks" or "since Lux operates at a loss, Lucifer bought stock in Durex and is their primary customer" or ... as kind of indicated in "Priest Walks Into a Bar" Luci may start dialing back his need to have sex with anything and everything as he starts to make more genuine friends.

Basically they've got lots of outs to keep a bb!Luci from showing up.  In the same vein, they also have that trope in their pocket if they get to Season 7 and need to shake things up. 

Considering he never knew he could bleed until Chloe shot him, I would think his body just didn't have all of those functions.  However, I also spent seasons thinking Angel and all other vampires couldn't have kids, and he couldn't even have sex, only for him to knock up another vampire, so yeah, it kind of doesn't matter if the writers want to go the kid route eventually, it doesn't matter what they want to establish now, they'll find a way to explain it.

About Lux operating at a loss, I mean it was the not-so-wondercop Dan who said it but still, it's been implied that Lux's books may not be showing all the income/Lucifer is hiding cashflow.

They later revealed that was due to Lilith's über-fertility as a mother-goddess sort of figure, not anything special about Ibriel. She also mothered an entire army of angels with Sandalphon for their war against Heaven after he had to cancel his archangel breeding program via Michael and Elaine. Basically if anyone so much as looked at her with lust in their eyes, boom, Pregnant!

Good point, I'd forgotten that part about Lilith.

I also forgot about Luci and Izanami at the end.  And she speaks to the fact that she could not carry his child (traditional sense I interpret) but that he is still the "father" of her rebirth.   So ... back to my original point.  From a TV show perspective, the showrunners / writers have wriggle room in either direction.  

I get the feeling the authors kinda squinted sideways and just went with what they needed and I also think there are strict rules on drawn male genitalia (at least back then) in comics.

I think the lack of genitalia in the comics is due to comic rules as well. If angels are really supposed to be genderless, I would expect them to look more androgynous instead of like Ken dolls. If angels only procreate with female demons in the comics, that would also seem to indicate that they're supposed to be male.

As for the TV show, even though Lucifer may not procreate, he still eats and drinks, so I assume he would need a way of using the washroom -- at least while on earth. (Given the way Malcolm eats, I'm guessing there's no food or drink in hell.)

In the last episode, he was still up for a threesome (foursome?) with the Brittanies, so he's not dialing back on the sex yet! Instead of dialing back, maybe learning the difference between sex and companionship/friendship just means he's more aware of which one he's really seeking at any given time.

When they eventually give us an explanation for Lucifer's mortality, I hope they indicate whether it only means he can be injured, or whether it also means he can grow old and die. If it's just about injury then he's not really mortal, he's just immortal with a defined weakness -- like a stake through the heart with vampires, or beheadings in Highlander.

In the promo for the next episode, his arm isn't bandaged and there's no scarring, so those third-degree burns healed really fast! It looks like he has superhuman healing for anything that doesn't kill him outright.

(edited)

In some way is her and Armendial really brothers?  He has referred to him that way more than once.

Yes.

DB Woodside has said that Amenadiel is supposed to be a combination of the Amenadiel character from the comics and the Archangel Michael from the comics.

While comics Amenadiel is considered a lower tier angel (though still powerful) and thus more like a cousin, Michael is Yahweh's first creation, Samael/Lucifer is second creation, then Gabriel and Raphael.   Those four are top tier Archangels, even with each other in terms of power (though with different power sets) and thus *brothers*.

In the comics, for instance, Elaine actually refers to Lucifer as "Uncle" and if Lucifer actually has affection for / respect for anyone, it's his brother Michael.

ETA: Regarding the three Britneys and the pizza boy, I believe he told Linda that while he said "I'll be right there" he didn't go through with it.

Edited by storyskip