Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: Chapter Twenty-Two

(edited)

I caught up on this show, and while I like it overall, I gotta say I don't find Rafael or Michael compelling characters in any way. What's worse is that neither of them are dynamic actors either.

I get the feeling Rafael is supposed to be the true love in the end, because he's father of the baby and knowing the telenovela formula and all, but I really wish they at least had gotten somebody to play him who wasn't so straightlaced and humorless. I mean, he's okay, but he's just not interesting as a character, and I sort of feel like if the actor had a little more energy or charisma it might play differently.

Michael's really no better, but at least the actor seems to have something of a sense of humor and every once in a while I can see him trying to deliver his lines in a quirky fashion, which gives him a little more personality. But since Jane's life revolves around this love triangle it's hard to become invested in either one when they're both so boring.

The best male character on this show is Rogelio by far, and I'm not sure why they think Jane's LI's must be these utterly boring, charisma free characters in order to be "worthy" of her- but I don't really know what to blame exactly, the writing or the acting. I feel like Rafael has the potential to be interesting, given his back story, but something's just not clicking.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1

And the final episode of the season. First off, phew! Michael survived! Now...do I have to add on worry to next season? Probably. But right now, thank goodness he survived the season! And, there's hope for him and Jane! Sure, he may not say what he's feeling, but he has good intentions. Plus, for me, the fact that Rafael had to lie to Jane about his feelings to protect her are very similar to Michael's lying about Petra/Roman. Not the same, obviously, and what Michael did was slightly worse, but it was still pretty bad. Rafael intentionally broke her heart because he was making the decision for her. He chose to not work things out and I'd love to see Jane give him more of the silent treatment, but it looks like she'll be the bigger person here. 

Matteo is so cute! So Sin Rosetra, do not harm that child! And get that child back to his mother ASAP. My god, I didn't fully see that coming. Also, Petra now has Rafael's sperm. I also thought she was going to be told that there was a mixup and the sperm was somebody else's, so...points to the show for not going that route? Because if Rafael lost that child as well, I'm pretty sure he would be devastated and I like him enough to not wish him to lose everything in his life (his dad, his sister kinda, his mom, his career, Petra, Jane, the baby). 

Xo and Rogelio got married? I figured that they did when they woke up and asked what happened that night. So....they're probably going to stay married, and they might even have a proper wedding. 

Good for Michael for being one step ahead. I like when shows make the cops actually smart. Sometimes, more often than not, they don't do that and it annoys me. Michael's never been dumb, so thanks for continuing that.

Again, I can't help it. Michael/Jane just work better for me. It's the lesser of the two routes taken when it comes to love triangles. Let's face it; when it's a girl and two guys, the girl always chooses the bad boy. I'm sure there are instances where this is not the case, but they're more rare. Plus, Rafael's the father of Matteo. He's got a one up on Michael. 

Really sweet moments leading up to the birth and even afterward. Despite some minor issues, I thought this finale was well done. I loved the three women, with Xo repeating the same words Alba told her while she was in labor. And thank you for a more realistic labour scene! I love the name Jane picked out.