Type keyword(s) to search

Behind the Scenes Special

I cracked up at the scene with soundman Jim -- a man well advanced in middle age -- on the phone going, "Mom, have I had chickenpox?" I don't know why, that just cracked me up. I think because it's the kind of goofy, do-men-ever-actually-grow-up kind of thing I could see my husband doing.

But that's me; I have an odd sense of humor. :-)

• Love 5

Courtney is Scott Enlow's wife. I guess both of them are producers? Unless Scott is considered to be a director.

One thing I found annoying about Courtney is that she acted so surprised about having her baby in China. Come on, lady, you're a grown adult and you had to have known that this was a possibility and yet you chose to go along to China with the rest of them instead of staying home. Her tone made it sound as if having the baby in China was a bad thing, like China is a third world country or something like that. It appears that Jill seemed annoyed when Courtney went into labor unless I'm just misreading that. But Jill didn't look very happy about it.

• Love 2

Jill loves to be important, so I doubt she was really irritated. She may just have been concerned or worried for her. I noticed Courtney was careful to say "Jill AND JANA" several times. I wonder if she feels that Jana gets overlooked.

China is not a third world country, but they do have different ways of doing things, different hospital policies and procedures, and they have this unfortunate habit of speaking Chinese. :-) I know I'd have been nervous in her place. I got the feeling the baby came a bit earlier than expected.

• Love 4

I caught the episode again today, and it seemed her labor began as the result of a fall, probably a bit early. There seemed to be concern over whether the baby would be OK.

Thanks TEEVEE! Why do you think they come across so poorly on TV? Especially Michelle?

Well, I guess she doesn't. I think you get candid and some staged moments of Michelle. I think they have gotten lax with the younger kids in areas like walking on counters and such. They do have a mind set of letting their kids play hard. Things I wouldn't let my kids do for sure. I think Michelle is not naturally comfortable on camera. Not very articulate. However, that is how she sounds in Church or if you run into her at a rally or a store. I have seen her with the little girl's and she is very sweet to them. It is obvious they love her very much.

Maybe what you see in the Enlow's is what you don't prefer in the Duggar's. They have gotten very close to the family. Jim Bob is not a fuddy duddy. He likes to have fun and so do his kids.

Leah is perfectly healthy, no problems. She is very tall and lean for a 2.5 year old, so I can see how one might think she looks a little different.

• Love 1
(edited)

Courtney and Scott were certainly old enough to know better. Honestly, that baby wasn't less than 35 weeks based on his/her size and the very basic NICU care received. Any woman who flies that close to delivery is playing with fire. I also question how she could've received all of the necessary immunizations during her pregnancy.

One thing, after a second watch, that stuck out to me, was Courtney's comment regarding how difficult it was to "plan the trips and activities". That made me remember a comment from the Keller-Duggar nuptuals, where the BIL spoke about the waivers and product placement. If you or I went to Asia, there wouldn't be geishas waiting at the airport or restaurants closed down for private sushi classes, or a private carnivals arranged. The Duggars always get these amazing experiences and, while I'm happy for the kids, they need I stop calling it reality tv. Reality tv would be them all living in a half finished house and a yearly trip to ATI in a 70's motorhome that breaks down. Sadly, the reality aspect of this show went the way of the dodo several seasons ago. I wonder if it's time that the FCC starts creating some guidelines about what can be labeled "reality tv"- Much like FDA or nutrition labels on food. When 95% of your show is re-enactments of true events (Jill's pregnancy announcement, Anna's latest gender reveal, etc.,.) and manufactured opportunities, you might as well call it a sitcom mixed with a travel show. It's not reality and that means people might be led to this lifestyle under false pretenses.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 12
(edited)

I can very easily see Jim Bob stipulating that the crew need to be self-professed Christians. In their world, that is an absolute guarantee that you are a safe person who will do your children no harm. Whatever helps you sleep at night, Boob.

Since I have a little in, I guess I am a little more protective when it comes to things aren't true. :)

I know they're decent people. I think most people here would not dispute that. Many of us have serious concerns about Bill Gothard, ATI, and the patriarchal lifestyle that limits and controls women, and those are all established facts the Duggars admit.

Yest. 7:07 am
I cracked up at the scene with soundman Jim -- a man well advanced in middle age -- on the phone going, "Mom, have I had chickenpox?"

That struck me as funny, although very obviously staged. What are the odds that none of them would remember whether or not they'd had chicken pox? Myself, and most people I know, remember when we had it.

And yes, I hate that people buy "reality" TV hook, line and sinker. Before the TLC gravy train, the Duggars were living the reality of a Quiverfull life, although still better off than some. Cramped quarters and relying on "love donations" is the norm. Many also go without traditional medical care because of the obsession on the evils of going into debt.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 4

I know die hard Fundys and quiverful people who have concerns about Bill Gothard and the people who follow him. Lots of people here have lots of "true" experiences. :)

Remember "Survivor?" "The Real World?" This thing we like to call Reality TV has been staged since the very beginning. Artificial setups, planned moments of dramatic tension... it's all the same. I suppose people who are less, um, sophisticated may be more taken in by the shows set in people's homes, but I think most folks know the deal. They may choose not to think about it, but they have to know.

The crew episode was more insidious in a way, presenting a picture of "what the Duggars are like when there's no camera crew present." But the crew have never seen them when there's no camera crew present. Granted there are times when they're not filming, but they are still there, the family knows they're there, and that has an effect on their behavior. It may be different from when the cameras are actually rolling, but it's still not the same as when the family is alone. (Mr. Duggar, meet Mr. Heisenberg.)

• Love 7
(edited)

Are you saying Jim Bob Duggar controls who is hired as crew (i.e., only hiring self-professed "Christians"?)

Because he's just such a complete control knob, I can very easily imagine Boob stipulating to TLC that the crew for their show had to consist entirely of Christians -  hopefully fundies and oh, yes - no Catholics. The more interesting question is whether TLC would have submitted to such a demand. I'd like to imagine that they told Boob "We run this show, you just get paid to appear..." But who knows?

Edited by Wellfleet

Courtney is Scott Enlow's wife. I guess both of them are producers? Unless Scott is considered to be a director.

One thing I found annoying about Courtney is that she acted so surprised about having her baby in China. Come on, lady, you're a grown adult and you had to have known that this was a possibility and yet you chose to go along to China with the rest of them instead of staying home. Her tone made it sound as if having the baby in China was a bad thing, like China is a third world country or something like that. It appears that Jill seemed annoyed when Courtney went into labor unless I'm just misreading that. But Jill didn't look very happy about it.

I'm thinking she was a producer or production assistant - some sort of paid crew. She knew she was risking the possibility of delivery in China, and I would be terrified to have my baby in another country, especially one where I couldn't understand the dialogue between doctors and nurses, couldn't read anything, etc. I'd also be scared to have my baby with an unfamiliar doctor and hospital even in somewhere like Canada or (keeping it in the US) California, basically anywhere unfamiliar, but especially a country where I couldn't fully understand what was going on. I'd trust a modern Chinese hospital more than I'd trust Jill, though.

Jill DID roll her eyes and give a 'great, that baby delivery is totally going to mess with our plans. Totally.' She appeared irritated and smug, like whatever Those People are calling and emergency is just cramping our style. It was a mean girls moment, and I'm surprised to see that reaction from 'Miss Midwife Is My Ministeral Calling From the Baby Jesus.' I guess Jesus Others You doesn't apply when you're on vacation. Totally. 

If nothing else, Jill should've seen it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to observe how a possible Mission Field (China) views labor and delivery vs American Hospitals vs Midwifery. Idiot. Totally, Jill is an idiot.

• Love 1

I know they're decent people. I think most people here would not dispute that. Many of us have serious concerns about Bill Gothard, ATI, and the patriarchal lifestyle that limits and controls women, and those are all established facts the Duggars admit.

Perfectly stated. If I didn't care about the kids, I wouldn't watch, and I would imagine others feel the same way. They're undoubtedly decent people, but they're also unfortunately part of a cult, and the fact that the nature of Gothardism is lost on so many of their fans is highly, highly troubling.

Because he's just such a complete control knob, I can very easily imagine Boob stipulating to TLC that the crew for their show had to consist entirely of Christians - hopefully fundies and oh, yes - no Catholics. The more interesting question is whether TLC would have submitted to such a demand. I'd like to imagine that they told Boob "We run this show, you just get paid to appear..." But who knows?

I would imagine he didn't have the clout to make that demand until later on, but I agree that he undoubtedly would have insisted on it. Wonder if that's why Sean Overbeeke and Frank Sun are gone.

That struck me as funny, although very obviously staged. What are the odds that none of them would remember whether or not they'd had chicken pox? Myself, and most people I know, remember when we had it.

There were only two of them that had to check, actually. I could buy it.

I'm thinking she was a producer or production assistant - some sort of paid crew. She knew she was risking the possibility of delivery in China, and I would be terrified to have my baby in another country, especially one where I couldn't understand the dialogue between doctors and nurses, couldn't read anything, etc. I'd also be scared to have my baby with an unfamiliar doctor and hospital even in somewhere like Canada or (keeping it in the US) California, basically anywhere unfamiliar, but especially a country where I couldn't fully understand what was going on. I'd trust a modern Chinese hospital more than I'd trust Jill, though.

Jill DID roll her eyes and give a 'great, that baby delivery is totally going to mess with our plans. Totally.' She appeared irritated and smug, like whatever Those People are calling and emergency is just cramping our style. It was a mean girls moment, and I'm surprised to see that reaction from 'Miss Midwife Is My Ministeral Calling From the Baby Jesus.' I guess Jesus Others You doesn't apply when you're on vacation. Totally. 

If nothing else, Jill should've seen it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to observe how a possible Mission Field (China) views labor and delivery vs American Hospitals vs Midwifery. Idiot. Totally, Jill is an idiot.

I disagree completely. I didn't watch the special but I saw the clip you mentioned on Eonline and I don't think Jill rolled her eyes. Here's the link, and unless they edited the scene for TV, what I DID see was Jill look over at Jinger with a wide-eyed, "uh-oh" expression which I think some have misinterpreted as her being a bitch, but YMMV.

I thought Jill was nothing but sweet and supportive of Courtney at the hospital. One thing I will give Jill credit for is that she seems able to stay calm and focused when it comes to helping other people. I think back to the incident years ago when one of her siblings (Jason?) had that freak accident and it was Jill who stayed by his side and kept things under control while they waited for the paramedics. 

Say what you will about the merits of Jill's midwife studies, but she struck me as someone who would have been good in a leadership role, if only she had gotten the opportunity to realize her full potential. She, in many ways, is the opposite of Jana.  Whereas Jill seemed comfortable being in the middle of the action, following orders, and even taking charge if need be, Jana to me often looked uncomfortable and almost timid at the births. I found it a tad strange how Courtney kept emphasizing Jill AND Jana helped her with labor because from what they showed in the footage, Jana was literally nowhere to be found.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm sure those Chinese doctors and nurses got educated in the right way to deliver a baby. How could Jill pass up the opportunity to show off her vast education.

It kind of looked like she was chewing gum while running that ultrasound. Not sure though.

Edited by JoanArc

I also thought Jill was expressing an "oh no" moment in the only way a Duggar would question someone in authority over them - by an eye motion.

And I have a hard time seeing her spouting off in a hospital in a country where she doesn't speak the language. I imagine she was far more focused on keeping her friend calm and reassured.

• Love 4

I can very easily see Jim Bob stipulating that the crew need to be self-professed Christians. In their world, that is an absolute guarantee that you are a safe person who will do your children no harm. Whatever helps you sleep at night, Boob.

Isn't that kind of employment discrimination illegal?

• Love 7

In the actual episode, all of the crew called their family to ask if they had had chicken pox. In this one, they only showed two.

There were quite a few of them in the actual episode, not just two. They may have edited it for time in the behind the scenes special. Not that I'm worried about it -- that type of reality TV staging is no big deal and just done for fun.

Isn't that kind of employment discrimination illegal?

Depends. If they are still working at TLC and have opportunities elsewhere it may not be. Jim Bob may have just asked that crew members in their home for extended periods be people who respect and can follow the Duggar beliefs...and if someone can't, but volunteers to go work on "The Little Couple" or an equivalent TLC show, it may not be illegal.

Could also be that those who aren't Christian or aren't comfortable are self-selecting out of those job placements. As a Jewish lesbian if I worked for TLC the Duggars wouldn't be my top choice of groups to follow 24/7.

• Love 2

I think the issue would be that you couldn't fire or refuse to hire someone for being another religion. But it's pretty easy to end up with a group that ends up unofficially the same because "we feel you are a good fit in our team culture." Blah blah blah.

• Love 2

I think the issue would be that you couldn't fire or refuse to hire someone for being another religion. But it's pretty easy to end up with a group that ends up unofficially the same because "we feel you are a good fit in our team culture." Blah blah blah.

Exactly. They could be including Christian crew members in voluntary prayers, other non-show access, etc, and thus making it a self selecting cycle over time.

• Love 1

The daughter of the camerapeople...the one born in China....She most definately looked like she has special needs. Boht my husband and I work with special needs little ones. Wonder if they know.

Jim Bob says "Courtney's waters have broken which means she'll probably be having the baby here in China". Probably?? No Jim Bob she was going to get on plane and fly half way around the world while in labour. Doofus!

The daughter of the camerapeople...the one born in China....She most definately looked like she has special needs. Boht my husband and I work with special needs little ones. Wonder if they know.

She's very, very tall for her age, but she's only two and a half. Its hard on kids like that; she looks four, so people (consciously or not) expect to see four-year old behaviors, but she's just a normal two-year old. As far as I could tell, anyway; we saw very little of her.

• Love 1