Type keyword(s) to search

Behind the Scenes Special

This episode was . . . interesting . . . sort of . . . I guess.  They really are out of ideas, aren't they?  I realize that this show has been on for a long time, but is an episode that focuses on the crew's behind-the-scenes views of the family really necessary?  The whole thing felt a bit pointless.  The endless regurgitation lately has been pretty ridiculous.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I feel like TLC and the Duggars are planning their impending swan song.  The striking similarities in the new show about the Willis family feels like further evidence that this show is circling the drain.

Two notable moments:

* When one of the Howlers said they visited the "Veterinary Memorial."  What a killer endorsement for homeschooling!

* The rehash of Josie's pants-pooping incident.  Most of us are permitted a bit of dignity, especially in our more unfortunate moments that are best left private.  Not Josie!  Her parents sold her dignity from the moment she was conceived.

• Love 7

I didn't watch this because we've already seen rehashes of rehashes of rehashes. To make matters worse they're doing a stupid Q&A episode next week about their stupid courtship rules as if we haven't heard it all a bazillion times before.

• Love 1
(edited)

God that was painful.

When three of the older girls were doing their THs on the couch, Joy seemed especially brainwashed to me.  Very sad to see. 

So I don't think Derick said anything but he was in all of Jill's talking heads.  Now that she's married is it a requirement that her husband sit next to her ALL. THE. TIME?  Regardless if he has anything to say or not? I just can't with this family.  Please. Cancel. The show.  Now.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3
(edited)

Frank Sun was likely edited out, since he's no longer a member of said crew. Sean Overbeeke, who produced the show for years, was also quite missing. 

eta: I spotted Frank in the very last still they showed of the crew, after most people would have turned the channel. Overbeeke may have been in that pic as well, but it was a large group shot, and I didn't feel like rewinding (nor did I bother DVRing this).

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
(edited)

This episode was . . . interesting . . . sort of . . . I guess.  They really are out of ideas, aren't they?  I realize that this show has been on for a long time, but is an episode that focuses on the crew's behind-the-scenes views of the family really necessary?  The whole thing felt a bit pointless.  The endless regurgitation lately has been pretty ridiculous.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I feel like TLC and the Duggars are planning their impending swan song.  The striking similarities in the new show about the Willis family feels like further evidence that this show is circling the drain.

Two notable moments:

* When one of the Howlers said they visited the "Veterinary Memorial."  What a killer endorsement for homeschooling!

* The rehash of Josie's pants-pooping incident.  Most of us are permitted a bit of dignity, especially in our more unfortunate moments that are best left private.  Not Josie!  Her parents sold her dignity from the moment she was conceived.

The way that guy was kind of bragging about embarrassing Josie, I wanted to smack him. Whats wrong with these people?

Edited by xls
  • Love 6

Not only did Sean admit that it was undignifying for Josie, but he also went so far as to say, "she will probably be really embarrassed when she's 16" and (Josie) "will ask why that was put on tv"? Yessiree, the producer just admitted that he has zero fux to give about her feelings, dignity, or future self image. It wasn't bad enough that people got to see and speculate about her twisted intestines, seizures, and painful start, Josie will also know that her most basic right to privacy was ripped away from her and none of the adults in her life stopped it. Sean admitted it was wrong and then brushed her dignity aside.... but, dear Jesus, let's blur out his wife's hospital bracelet.

Wtf.

Someone please stop the train.

• Love 8
(edited)

Did Frank Sun have long hair?

The crew seems to have the language skills of the family.

The crew seems to be the biggest fans of the family.

Seriously this was really boring. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 6
(edited)

Things I noticed, the crew is not that bright, just like the Duggars.

Scott Rotan is really dumb---he can't remember everyone's names after working with them since 2009!?

When they were in China and Courtney's water broke, Boob announced it and Jill rolled her eyes like great now I'm going to be expected to save the day. She wasn't too excited about helping Courtney. I found that telling.

FREE Mr. Jim he seems like the only intelligent one out of the crew and while he is being freed have him sign a book deal!

The Duggar kids are complete BRATS. Who rude that they would abuse the crew, i.e. I think it was Jackson who was pretending to fix John's makeup then threw the paper in the guys face, yep they are soooooo well behaved--NOT.

MEChelle doesn't give two or three shits about any of her kids nor her grandchildren. Never once did you see her interact with them except to read a story. 

The Duggar kids are so un-educated. My heart hurts for all of them.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 7

The way that guy was kind of bragging about embarrassing Josie, I wanted to smack him. Whats wrong with these people?

It gives real insight to the crew who films this show.   I will earn my money and it doesn't matter who I hurt or exploit in the process. Even worse, they seemed to have this fuck you attitude about it. Why wouldn't we film it?   

Did I see a swimming pool in one scene?   Is it a secret or do I need new glasses?

• Love 2
(edited)

One thing I realized after watching this special, I sure hope Jim Bob pays his kids to participate in the show. All of them. Without all of those "19 special blessings" there would be no tv show, and I'm hopeful that the older kids realize this even if the younger ones have no idea. The kids are working as much as the parents are, doing interviews and scene re-enactments.

I did laugh at Josh's interview when he talked about Jim the camera man eating a scorpion in China.He actually laughed out loud, something we rarely see unless it's Jim Bob doing his stupid yuk,yuk,yuk type of laugh. I know a lot of people aren't fond of him but overall I think Josh gives better interviews that Jim Bob does. He also seems smarter and more articulate. For that matter, actually, so does Josiah. Hmm, wonder if that's one reason Jim Bob was anxious to see these two boys married off at a young age?

Something else I became aware of as well, the kids apparently do really think of the crew as family. That's sad. They don't realize that your family , ideally anyway, won't exploit you and will show up for important events in your life, not like these folks who are simply showing up to do their job. The nicest of all of them seems to be Jim. If the show is ever cancelled, will the crew continue to hang out with and keep in touch with the Duggars like their other friends? Not likely. 

Edited by CarolMK
  • Love 5
(edited)

I think the crew hates working with the Duggars

Courtney sounded pretty giddy that the crew got to go on trips i.e. free paid vacations to places that they probably would have never imagined they would get to visit. I don't think they are suffering much.

Something that made me SMH who or why would invite the Duggars to lecture in China? Don't the Chinese practice birth control? I can't imagine them understanding the whole 19 kids nonsense.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 6
(edited)

In the scenes where Courtney was talking about Michelle's patience and saintliness as a mother, we saw Michelle questioning Jackson on his behavior. 

Courtney also described both Michelle and Jim Bob, but particularly Michelle as "the most patient people you will ever meet." This goes against how I think of Michelle, but maybe some people see apathy/disengagement as patience?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 6

Something that made me SMH who or why would invite the Duggars to lecture in China? Don't the Chinese practice birth control? I can't imagine them understanding the whole 19 kids nonsense.

I think it was more of a side show rather than lecture. I cannot imagine the Chinese would be interested otherwise.

• Love 3
(edited)

Not only did Sean admit that it was undignifying for Josie, but he also went so far as to say, "she will probably be really embarrassed when she's 16" and (Josie) "will ask why that was put on tv"? Yessiree, the producer just admitted that he has zero fux to give about her feelings, dignity, or future self image. It wasn't bad enough that people got to see and speculate about her twisted intestines, seizures, and painful start, Josie will also know that her most basic right to privacy was ripped away from her and none of the adults in her life stopped it. Sean admitted it was wrong and then brushed her dignity aside.... but, dear Jesus, let's blur out his wife's hospital bracelet.

Wtf.

Someone please stop the train.

How proud he must be, embarrassing a child who may be developmentally challenged, by showing her losing control of her bodily function on national TV. A form of bullying, IMO. He should be ashamed of himself.

Edited by xls
  • Love 13

Also, for those wondering about the first producer, Sean Overbeeke, he's gone on to do other work since leaving the Duggars and is also now the executive producer of the Willis show, the musical family who now is on right after the Duggars on Tuesday night. Actually, I think 19 Kids and Counting has gone downhill since Sean left. We are definitely seeing the uglier side of the Duggars and thinks that we never saw before under Sean, like Josie's diaper explosion and Jason  falling off the stage. For anyone curious about Frank Sun, he took left the Duggars show several years ago and is now producing his own films. Too bad he wasn't able to take Jana with him and marry her, those two would have been a good pair. 

• Love 6

That was sure a love fest.  It is nice that the kids are exposed to people outside of the family.  

But only because $$ is involved - for both sides. Now that I think about it, the TLC crew may be the only people the kids actually interact with who are not fundie, maybe even Gothard-fundie.

• Love 3
(edited)

They're like wild animals. I can't believe anyone considers that pack "well behaved."

They really are.  Those poor children have so much unstructured time they have nothing to do but run around and jump up and down on furniture (and countertops!)  I have never see such undisciplined children!  I would never have behaved like that as a child nor would my children ever consider it.  Get those kids some structured activities!  Get those kids some books!  I realize that too much television and too many video games are not good for children.  But I think that too much free time with nothing to do is not good either. And the only answer the Duggars seem to have is to toss a few scooters and balls out to the "pack."

ETA:  I don't think I have see that stuff going on in the Bates household.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 7

Not necessarily.  Little kids mix up words all the time.  It can be very funny at times.  I'm sure we all have some similar stories.

• Love 5

How is walking on the counter tops, climbing trees in areas you shouldn't, swinging from bell hop thingys, riding bikes and scooters in the house and all the other stuff considered being a good kid?

• Love 10

Not necessarily.  Little kids mix up words all the time.  It can be very funny at times.  I'm sure we all have some similar stories.

True, but unfortunately, the Duggar kids are well known for their lack of basic knowledge.  

• Love 3

Well at least they showed my all-time favorite moment from '14Kids' -- when they're going down the line introducing themselves, and Jedidiah gets himself confused with Josiah. Pure gold.

• Love 9

Watching this made me sad for several reasons:

*Jana talked in such an animated way when talking about the crew as compared when talking about her family

*The younger children literally climbing on furniture - desks, tables, the counters (I had never noticed how dirty Josie's feet were, not just when climbing the counters but all of the time).

*How the girls described that during "hard times" the crew was always encouraging and would give them hugs.

*Michelle saying that her children "absorb" wisdom from the crew - What???

*Anna saying "easy to go with" - did she mean "easy going"?

*The crew saying how well-behaved the children were as they showed clips of them climbing the furniture, getting stuck in a tree they were not supposed to climb on, being rude, etc.

*The complete lack of any kind of structure in that house and lack of meaningful activities for the younger children and (this can't be said enough) NO BOOKS!

• Love 8

Great points, PInguina. The episode was obviously filler because they're running out of episode ideas other than courtship/babies, but actually, it was interesting because I think we sometimes tend to forget that they have the crew around so often. It's nice to know that they have frequent interactions with people who are not drunk on the fundie Kool-Aid.

How is walking on the counter tops, climbing trees in areas you shouldn't, swinging from bell hop thingys, riding bikes and scooters in the house and all the other stuff considered being a good kid?

Most of those things are apparently allowed, so they're really not misbehaving. I think the crew has a point that they are well-trained in some areas -- for example, you never hear backtalk. Yes, that could be because of editing, but even though they're going a bit soft, they do still place a lot of emphasis on "character" and I think they're not as worried about the fact that the young ones are ferral and in desperate need of structure. When I was young, I would pass happy hours reading books and listening to books on tape and record (this was the 80s so obviously that could now be upgraded to CDs or iPods, lol). Not just Christian biographies but all kinds of fiction. It is so sad that their home is devoid of books other than the bible and a few Christian biographies. Oops, to be fair, I just remembered that "Pond" kids' Christian book series they're allowed to read/listen to. But that's geared toward preschoolers, and after that, there's nothing.

• Love 2

I was really hoping the Willis family kids would be all polite and well behaved - you know, TOTAL opposite of the Duggs. And they certainly are polar opposites in many ways (plus they have a cool mom!) - but their little ones were walking/standing/crawling on countertops too. I'm probably showing my age, but this just gets on my last nerve. I only watched about 13 seconds of 19&C last night, and Josie was running the length of the kitchen counter like she was training for the Olympics. Somebody please, please make that stop.

Wanderwoman called them feral. Hee!!!

• Love 7

Most of those things are apparently allowed, so they're really not misbehaving.

I keep thinking about this too. The behavior itself is disgusting, at least to me - running around barefoot on counters, "lick and stick" pizza <gag>, dangling hair in whatever food they're cooking, etc. But it's all allowed and sometimes even encouraged by their parents, so they're not misbehaving. Feral is an excellent description.

• Love 4

Gotta love that the crew admitted to watching over the kids, telling them not to do things, cleaning up and doing head counts while traveling. Do Boob and Michelle do anything??

• Love 3

Gotta love that the crew admitted to watching over the kids, telling them not to do things, cleaning up and doing head counts while traveling. Do Boob and Michelle do anything??

of course they do. They *have* the children, which is the only important job dontchaknow?

• Love 3
(edited)

So walking on counters is a thing now? Please don't tell my three year old.

To be fair, we never had any length of countertop anyone could have run on. Hop on, hop off was pretty much it. Similarly, we've never had a great room so enormous that scootering inside would seem appealing.

I'm just saying, no one gives them any guidance on how to spend their time, most days. They have no grasp on normal social boundaries and so they just take their environment as they find it, and figure out ways to play in it. Like running the length of the countertops.

Or in other words, yeah -- they're basically feral.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 7

Gee everyone parents their kids but JimChelle.

Ratings: 1.453 M viewers and a .4 rating.

Yikes. I would think people would be interested in a behind the scenes episode

Yikes. I would think people would be interested in a behind the scenes episode

I bet if they had slapped *uncensored* on there, people would've been more interested (as long as it really was uncensored). I know I would have.

I think uncensored probably would have been mo' better too (south words: mo' betta). I had the show on for only a couple minutes and I heard every one of the crew waxing poetic about how they loved that family, how great the kids were, how much they loved working with them, etc.). I didn't feel they were being "real" at all, and I truthfully felt when it was filmed, it was in anticipation of the willis family coming up, and how much interest was going to shift to a more "open" lifestyle that seems to be working AND where all the children seem more balanced and happy without such militant strictures. Kind of a pre-emotive "don't forget the Duggars; you loved them first, remember??"

• Love 5

For what it's worth, I am a Northwest Arkansas native. All my family still lives there. My aunt and cousin are about 10 and 5 minutes from the Duggar's home. We all see them out and about, a lot. Believe it or not, they are the real deal. NWA loves them. They are kind and they do donate their time and resources, outside of the show. The Enlow's have a home in NWA and some of the other crew live nearby. Dad is involved in Cross Church (my dad) and knows Jim Bob pretty well. What Scott said about Jim Bob following the crew around like hawks in the beginning is true. Everyone of the crew are Christians. Jim Bob has told my father that they really are an extension of their family. They sit in on Bible time almost every time they are with them, sans the cameraman on shot.

They are a very nice and kind family. They aren't perfect by any means.

Since I have a little in, I guess I am a little more protective when it comes to things aren't true. :)

• Love 6

I think uncensored probably would have been mo' better too (south words: mo' betta). I had the show on for only a couple minutes and I heard every one of the crew waxing poetic about how they loved that family, how great the kids were, how much they loved working with them, etc.). I didn't feel they were being "real" at all, and I truthfully felt when it was filmed, it was in anticipation of the willis family coming up, and how much interest was going to shift to a more "open" lifestyle that seems to be working AND where all the children seem more balanced and happy without such militant strictures. Kind of a pre-emotive "don't forget the Duggars; you loved them first, remember??"

Strongly agree. To me, this episode was a pre-emptive "shot across the bow" by the TLC crew, and the Duggars themselves ultimately. In a lot of THs, the crew who spoke seemed to be addressing various issues or concerns that have been raised about the Duggars, and the comments were running just barely below the "blatantly-defensive" line. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Everyone of the crew are Christians.

Maybe that's why Frank Sun's not there anymore, as he didn't seem to have been Christian.

Here's a TLC story from five years ago:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/behind-the-scenes-with-the-crew-of-19-kids-and-counting/

I'm hoping to watch the "Behind the Scenes" episode on On Demand tonight. It doesn't seem to have been the most compelling, but I want to be able to snark with y'all. :) (Trying hard to do my best Sierra imitation...)

Edited by Literata

Folks, please be careful about posting about the family and not each other. Phrases like, "You think" and "You all say" etc area bound to be taken badly. "I like the Duggars" and "I think the family is a fine example" are fine because they are what your feelings and not other posters. 

Thanks!

• Love 2

I've nicknamed Jackson, Johanna, Jennifer, Jordyn and Josie the Feral Five.

The thing about the Duggars public image is that it's just that- a PUBLiC , carefully manicured image. For every person I've read on boards saying they're wonderful, there's another that had a horror story. In some ways, I expect that because no one is perfect. But, in my opinion, you can be a phenomenal neighbor and friend, but putting your child's intimiate moments on tv makes your parental choices suspect.

• Love 5

Just watched this episode. I like Soundman Jim, but the Enlows just seemed to be a little overly enthusiastic, and I found Courtney kind of annoying.

Their baby looked to have some issues at birth. Does she have special needs? Poor little thing looked pretty fragile.

• Love 2