Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Anna's Having a.....

* Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand this modern-day obsession with large-scale gender reveal parties.  I've had a child whose gender I didn't learn until her birth and I was out of my mind with excitement about it, but sheesh.  Painted flamingos, balloons, hundreds of pink and blue candies, confetti, secret envelopes . . . yeah, just reveal it already.

I get it. It's part of my generation's unfortunate need to make everything pretty for Instagram and make sure every single life event is documented. Also, it's not like these people can celebrate any other accomplishments like a graduation, or an exhibition of their work, or a job promotion (okay, except Josh that one time), or anything like that. Having kids is the only thing they can really get praise for and celebrate, minus birthdays, which we all have anyway.

Anna did prison ministry with her dad. She probably has heard a lot of stories unlike Josh who only knew how to be in the horse and pony show.

Anna also has a sister who had a child out of wedlock and the Kellers did not shun her so it's harder for Anna to pass judgement on an unwed mother. Boob Jr. not so much he is just an entitled ass.

These two bits of information make Anna more interesting to me than any of the Duggars combined. So she's actually walked the walk and done prison ministry, which is undoubtedly both rewarding and challenging. She's actually associated herself with people the Duggars wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but who are people Jesus would accept with open arms. Interesting. I'm sure it helped her learn some empathy and life experience from others. I'd love her if she wasn't so intolerant in other areas.

• Love 9

In the scene where Michelle is sitting on the couch next to Mckynzie, Michelle is trying to tickle Mckynzie's feet or legs. Mckynzie is giving Michelle the biggest "Who the fuck are you and why are you touching me?!" look.

Could Smuggar be any more bitter about Grandma's house being remodeled. He definitely threw some shade at Jessa and Ben. Subtle, but you can definitely feel the bitterness there.

I didn't see the episode so I'm just going by comments here, but that is pretty hilarious that Mckynzie is giving her that look.

It makes me a little sad that Smuggar would be bitter towards Jessa and Ben. I feel like it should be towards his parents, especially JB. I mean it's not exactly Jessa's fault that JB decided to give (loan?) her a house and re-model it for her. What's she going to do, turn it down when she has no other realistic options?  If I were any of the kids I'd be more pissed about Jill and Derick getting that mansion, but even then I'd be mad at the parents, not Jill.

• Love 3

I thought of that too. Jessa Blessa and Bin got a whole remodel and a really nice one too! Jill got that huge house. Josh did get a house, which is more than many people, but it's kinda obvious that he was less adored. Remember Michelle with that "leave and cleave, buddy" comment? I never thought that Josh and Jim Bob got along that well. I think Anna is more the favorite than Josh. 

• Love 2

Regarding Boob and Michael, the words he was saying weren't necessarily mean, but the way he kept harping on him was, especially after Michael was beginning to get upset. That was when JD stepped in and told Michael his mother wouldn't be mad at him. I don't think Boob deliberately meant to be a jerk, it's just that he and Michelle are so far removed from child - rearing that he's forgotten how to handle these types of situations.

• Love 3

I didn't think Jimbo was being particularly harsh. Also, I don't think Michael is the kinda kid who gives a shit about his mother being upset with him because I don't think she's particularly harsh either. I'm sure Anna didn't pay full price at a child's specialty store for Mikey's clothes. She probably paid 4 bucks for that outfit at a resale shop.

(edited)

Also, never thought I'd say this, but JD is kind of attractive when he's being handy. Drilling the holes in the ground and finding solutions to various carpentry issues around the house. Not that those are particularly hard tasks, but still. Stark contrast to cute-but-dim Bin who couldn't even measure a piece of wood or do the simple carpentry tasks JB assigned him.

....Now I feel like I need to go wash out my mouth with soap.

Also, how puffy did Josh look this episode?! It must have been the striped shirt. It amazes me how he and Anna kind of went the opposite ways in levels of attractiveness. He was good looking during the engagement and she was kind of mousy and it's now the opposite.

Jackson looked so proud of himself for figuring out that the flamingoes needed to be dipped. You'd think he'd hit a home run. Poor guy needs more praise.

Also, did anyone catch Groupon misspelled on Josh and Anna's gift as "Goupon?" SOTDRT is the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 6

And yeah, I agree - event planner, really?  Sheesh if she's a professional event planner and actually getting paid for it, I think I need to become one too. I don't have the cool accent/colloquialisms, but I could run circles around her when it comes to planning, decorating, catering, etc. I suspect most of us could.

I presume she's more of that person most churches designate as the wedding coordinator, and she's spun it from there. Most churches have someone who is in charge of logistics for ceremonies, showers, etc., basically just a point of contact to make sure everything is decorated and cleaned up without destroying anything. She probably has an extensive Pinterest and makes a mean pasta salad, but I haven't seen her do anything out of the ordinary, or even do ordinary things without bugging her eyes out, speaking in that high pitch tone and forget things like...chairs. Heaters. Closing the freezer door. Freaking out over paint.

Regarding Boob and Michael, the words he was saying weren't necessarily mean, but the way he kept harping on him was, especially after Michael was beginning to get upset. That was when JD stepped in and told Michael his mother wouldn't be mad at him. I don't think Boob deliberately meant to be a jerk, it's just that he and Michelle are so far removed from child - rearing that he's forgotten how to handle these types of situations.

JimBob didn't scream or slap, and I think he was actually trying to calm down Sierra's freak out, which was over the top and what actually freaked Michael out. He had that "oh, no, I did something bad" look, and then looked pitiful and scared when JimBob said he'd make his mom really mad if he got paint all over his clothes - AFTER the fact, fool. I can't imagine Michael could be more destructive than the Howlers. At least he wasn't licking the paint or walking on counters with it on his feet.

• Love 3
(edited)

Fake cupcake "reveal" was on March 2 which was a Monday, so the "party" reveal in AR was probably either 2/28 or 3/1. 

https://instagram.com/p/zusPJiuWB3/?taken-by=joshduggar

It would make sense that it was warm in SoCal. It was warmer last winter than it is now. LA is due for rain tomorrow...something sorely lacking last winter all up and down the CA coast. So anyway, there's your timeframe. Jessa would have just found out she was pregnant, and Muffy was still a month away from delivering. That may be the weekend that Derick was Pistol Pete; it was right around then.

eta Sierra's Pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/teamdojo/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
(edited)

I wonder how many takes were needed before Josh finally swung his legs over that bar. During that scene I just wanted to put him out of his misery, I was so embarrassed for him. Naturally Anna had to act like he just cured cancer when he finally did it. These women must get so exhausted propping up their men's fragile egos.

Sew Sumi, thanks for the time frame info.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13

Every time I watch one of these "gender reveal" episodes, I keep hoping that sometime the ultrasound will be wrong.  I'm sure most of us have heard of that happening within our own circles, so it's just a matter of time before it happens to the Duggars.  Not that I truly care if the latest baby is a boy or girl, it would just be interesting to see the reaction since gender is obviously such a big deal to them.  

Watching this episode confirmed for me that these people have way too much time on their hands.  Having the whole family pitch in and paint and install 200 flamingos in the frozen ground!?  And for no discernable purpose?  I'm baffled.

• Love 5

Yes, BitterApple! Josh looked like he was going to have a heart attack! That belt was required but so not flattering. His face was red with strain.

• Love 2

Yet another producer-driven plot line for Smuggar, I guess to make him look more interesting/adventurous. Sorry TLC, I think the consensus is that ploy did not work! 

• Love 1

Good Lord, I am ashamed to be a human being occupying the same planet that has Josh and Anna taking their ridiculous, revolting "prize" of a giant teddy bear to a home for expectant mothers ! Was this a joke ? Seriously ?!?! Young women in very unfortunate circumstances just trying to do right by their babies and they "win" a teddy bear ?! Jesus in a side-car, how does that help them ?!?! 

This makes just as much sense as the Duggars taking battery-powered Bibles to the poor, starving, uneducated people of El Salvador (or whatever country it was - sorry, but it was Third World and very poor) while not taking any food or supplies ! THIS is what pisses me off about the Duggars. They have such a unique way of "helping" people without actually helping them !  

I live close to a home for unwed mothers, interestingly housed in a former convent, and the whole community donates maternity clothes, diapers, baby clothes, formula, etc. It's run by a religious charity, one that is pro-life, but unlike Josh's agenda, they actually CARE about the babies once they are born. I just cannot understand why he and the FRC are so vehement in their anti-choice platform while actually taking care of the "saved" babies is such an anathema. Please tell me this makes sense...

Maybe when one of those women gives birth they can given her one of those ridiculous flamingos as a "prize". Makes as much sense as the damn teddy bear. 

Meh.

• Love 12

I thought of that too. Jessa Blessa and Bin got a whole remodel and a really nice one too! Jill got that huge house. Josh did get a house, which is more than many people, but it's kinda obvious that he was less adored. Remember Michelle with that "leave and cleave, buddy" comment? I never thought that Josh and Jim Bob got along that well. I think Anna is more the favorite than Josh.

It's their patriarchal beliefs at work. It's not that they love Josh less -- I happen to agree with those who think Josh is one of Mullet's favorites -- but because he's a man, in their belief system, he is supposed to be fully on his own. "Soft sexism," I saw it called recently, the types of things they say about women being on a pedestal and in need of male protection. Besides, Jessa and Jill were not actually gifted the houses. They're just using them for awhile.

I thought (and I could be wrong) that the kids pay rent on the houses, so they're not "theirs", but, as becca said above, they're just using them.

Jessa sure was hanging on Ben in this episode.  I caught a glimpse of her in one of the background shots.  She looked like a 13 year old showing off to her friends.

• Love 1

I think that Josh is Michelle's favorite, and it showed a lot growing up. And he had a lot of advantages regarding household responsibilities because of that, because Michelle runs the house. But JB controls the money. And JB isn't close to Josh, in the way he is his daughters and his rough and tumble sons. Josh got a crappy house. In JB's mind, he'd taught Josh to do home repair. If Josh wanted to fix it up, he knew how, and he had brothers to ask for help. On Josh's own dime.

I thought (and I could be wrong) that the kids pay rent on the houses, so they're not "theirs", but, as becca said above, they're just using them.

Boob says they pay rent but many of us have doubted that claim. It wouldn't surprise me if the couples were just paying for utilities.

• Love 3

Good Lord, I am ashamed to be a human being occupying the same planet that has Josh and Anna taking their ridiculous, revolting "prize" of a giant teddy bear to a home for expectant mothers ! Was this a joke ? Seriously ?!?! Young women in very unfortunate circumstances just trying to do right by their babies and they "win" a teddy bear ?! Jesus in a side-car, how does that help them ?!?!

This makes just as much sense as the Duggars taking battery-powered Bibles to the poor, starving, uneducated people of El Salvador (or whatever country it was - sorry, but it was Third World and very poor) while not taking any food or supplies ! THIS is what pisses me off about the Duggars. They have such a unique way of "helping" people without actually helping them !

I live close to a home for unwed mothers, interestingly housed in a former convent, and the whole community donates maternity clothes, diapers, baby clothes, formula, etc. It's run by a religious charity, one that is pro-life, but unlike Josh's agenda, they actually CARE about the babies once they are born. I just cannot understand why he and the FRC are so vehement in their anti-choice platform while actually taking care of the "saved" babies is such an anathema. Please tell me this makes sense...

Maybe when one of those women gives birth they can given her one of those ridiculous flamingos as a "prize". Makes as much sense as the damn teddy bear.

Meh.

The duggars are only pro life for babies under 6 months. Then it's off to sister mom

• Love 9

Boob says they pay rent but many of us have doubted that claim. It wouldn't surprise me if the couples were just paying for utilities.

The DC house, if my memory of property records is correct, does not even belong to the Duggars but to someone else. So it would indeed make sense for themt o be paying rent.

• Love 1

Good Lord, I am ashamed to be a human being occupying the same planet that has Josh and Anna taking their ridiculous, revolting "prize" of a giant teddy bear to a home for expectant mothers !

I'm not hopeful that Smuggar and Anna forked over any money, but I suspect TLC dropped off a check.

I doubt TLC is paying rent.

Sorry -- I meant at the home for pregnant women. I doubt Smuggar and Anna made a contribution beyond the stupid bear, but I imagine TLC donated some money.

I bet Jess and Jill stay in those houses for a real long time. Like forever?

If they do pay rent, I bet it's a token amount of $100 just so they can say they are paying rent. No way that Jess and Ben are actually paying the going rate of rent in that newly redone house. No way.  We don't even know how they pay anything...does Ben have a job? 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if this is too far off the topic of this show since the housing was mentioned. If this is the wrong place, please move it. 

I still believe that Josh and Anna are the only ones getting completely separate pay from TLC. The rest, I think, is into one place controlled by JB. I think he redid the house and bought the other house for Jessa and Jill to use and told them that was part of their "pay" for TLC. He could give them the money directly and let them take care of themselves but he is desperate for control. 

If this is the case it could be another reason Josh is irritated with the difference in the housing situation. He was probably not getting his own TLC paycheck back when he moved into what is now Jessa's house so if that house was his "pay" then it's just another way JB is telling him he's less valuable in his eyes. 

Did they explain how Jim Bob upgraded a house he doesn't technically own? I thought grandma's name is on the title? I mean, I have no problem with them doing it, but did he act like it was his house?

Did they explain how Jim Bob upgraded a house he doesn't technically own? I thought grandma's name is on the title? I mean, I have no problem with them doing it, but did he act like it was his house?

Unless he took out a loan, which I doubt he did, it shouldn't matter who is on the title. I'm sure Grandma was ok with it so they just did it. 

• Love 3

Smuggar should be happy with whatever help from mama and daddy he gets.  He's a grown-ass man and shouldn't be relying on other people.  Same for Ben and Derick.  They have no business getting married if they can't support themselves.  They can very easily say, "Thank you very much, but no thanks."  If they choose to live under Jimbo's thumb, and are willing to accept housing from him, then they have to live with the consequences of doing so--and that includes Josh. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Attention:  I NEED EVERYONE ON DECK!  

This may very well be the best worst episode to date.  Sierra makes me want to wrap that hair around her neck and tell her to STFU!  Apparently she wanted to be a drill sergeant but got stuck with a bunch of babies instead.  She is so bossy and pathetic and it's the same thing over and over again. OMG!  I've only got an hour until Josh and Anna get back and I might not get everything done in time.  Or my favorite  - when she was telling everyone that she needed everyone on deck (her favorite line) because she couldn't do it all.  Well you stupid bitch- I haven't seen you doing much at all.  Oh wait bossing everyone around and coming up with the stupidest ideas in history.  The guys putting those flamingos in the frozen ground was insane.  I would have told her where to stick them.

At around $6 per flamingo (according to Amazon), that is $1200 on flamingos.  5 gallons of paint and paint brushes, signs, and more food than was served at either of the past two Duggar weddings would have put the cost of this stupid sex reveal at well over 2K.  

Guess what Josh and Anna- take that 2K and donate it to the home you visited.  BTW, I wanted to shake chubs when we was saying it wasn't the house it was making it a home when visiting the home.  Well houses are not cheap in California and I'm sure he was turning his nose up.  One day all these lucky breaks he has been getting will all go away and he will be a fat old looking bald man with 14 kids.  (Nothing against fat old bald men- just Josh.)

Poor Mikey.  I'll bet he did cry when his parents were away.  They treated him like crap.   

Josh should NOT have taken on the trapeze.  I almost felt sorry for him.  Anna is not the only one eating for two. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 22

I feel like we could sub out the specifics of each event and we'd basically have the same episode each time: Sierra with her bulging eyes rivaling crazy Michelle's as well as some manufactured drama complete with phrases like "I can't do it alone," "it's crunch time," "all hands on deck!", "I hope we pull it off!", "there's a lot to do!" These people's lives are really, really boring.

• Love 6
(edited)

One of my favorite moments of Duggar insanity.  This is a screen grab so it's not so clear.

Josie picking her nose while wearing a short sleeve paper thin dress and no leggings when it is snowing outside. MEchelle sitting beside a toddler for the first time in years.  Mikey wearing pink boots!  Marcus just before he does a face plant and gets laughed at. Boob pointing out that it reminds him of "the good old days"  when they just had a few children.  Now that is telling!

Gotta love it. 

https://flic.kr/p/sRqsRb

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 4

One more scary thing to add and see if anyone noticed.  When MEchelle was opening the door for bug eyed crazy woman and instructing her to go to the refrigerator for an envelope, she turned to the side and I swear the woman looks pregnant. I am hoping it is just the shirt but it is strange. 

I saw another picture of her in the past couple of days at a speaking engagement and people commented that she looked larger as well.  I really hope this is not the case.  

Smuggar should be happy with whatever help from mama and daddy he gets.  He's a grown-ass man and shouldn't be relying on other people.  Same for Ben and Derick.  They have no business getting married if they can't support themselves.  They can very easily say, "Thank you very much, but no thanks."  If they choose to live under Jimbo's thumb, and are willing to accept housing from him, then they have to live with the consequences of doing so--and that includes Josh. 

I would agree with you except for one thing - the kids are essentially actors, and have been for years. They pretty much had their childhoods sold to 'reality' TV.  I know it wasn't by choice, but they have spent a whole lot of hours of their lives filming. I do think they deserve to be compensated for that. At a bare minimum figure out how many hours they spent filming, and give them back-pay for those hours. Yeah I know it'll never happen, but that's part of why I don't mind them getting money/housing/etc. now.

And for the girls - they deserve to be paid as at least actors and nannies, in my opinion. Or teachers, housekeepers, or whatever they want to call it, but they have done so much work above and beyond expected household chores, just being part of the family, etc.

Unfortunately the way it's all structured, you're right, they end up under JB's control because they're not just getting the money that they (again in my opinion) have earned. They're getting benefits such as houses to live in, but it's all so strictly controlled.

• Love 9

I saw another picture of her in the past couple of days at a speaking engagement and people commented that she looked larger as well.  I really hope this is not the case.

I agree - the photo was on Pickles and Hairspray and I swear Michelle looked pregnant too - about 5 months. I seriously doubt it's a naturally conceived pregnancy with her being almost 50. But she might have been so desperate as to venture into IVF territory. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Sierra is pregnant Truthtalk. It's going to be her 5th. She will be pregnant once a year if she wants to become fundie royalty.

Yes, I know but I swear MEchelle had a bump when she turned to the side.  Maybe it was just the maternity shirt she is still wearing in hopes of increasing her chance of catching another blessing.  Sierra looked less pregnant than MEchelle.  I was surprised that she brought her littles to an event finally.  I'm sure her husband was less than impressed thinking that his life might end up like the Duggars.  

ETA : Sierra might be hoping for a Wedding Planner, Party Planner, Event Planner that loves plastic flamingos with 5 kids and counting reality show.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 2

Sierra is pregnant Truthtalk. It's going to be her 5th. She will be pregnant once a year if she wants to become fundie royalty.

Her husband is pretty hot, so I  guess I get why she's pregnant so often ;) I think it really, really shows that she is uncomfortable in front of the camera because of how hard she overcompensates. Get most people in front of the camera and they tend to try too hard, especially if she's trying to drum up business for her coordinating gig (which, she is horrible advertising). She's really going to come off as overly perky in front of the Duggars, for whom the camera is no longer a big deal.

The flamingos were SUCH a horrible idea, though. Is it really true she thought they were storks or something?

I watched the episode on Tuesday night and then immediately deleted it from the DVR, so I can't confirm this, but I'm 95% sure that when Jessa & Ben were showing Josh, Anna et al. the house, Jessa made some statement about when Josie "gets out."  Not when Josie "gets married" or when Josie "moves out," but when she "gets out."  It really made it sound like getting out of prison.  Did anyone else catch that and think it was a weird choice of words?  

• Love 3
I watched the episode on Tuesday night and then immediately deleted it from the DVR, so I can't confirm this, but I'm 95% sure that when Jessa & Ben were showing Josh, Anna et al. the house, Jessa made some statement about when Josie "gets out."  Not when Josie "gets married" or when Josie "moves out," but when she "gets out."  It really made it sound like getting out of prison.  Did anyone else catch that and think it was a weird choice of words?

I saw it and I recall she said, "When Josie gets it...," meaning when Josie gets the house.  You know how this gang speaks at times! Sometimes they're hard to decipher!

• Love 4

One more scary thing to add and see if anyone noticed.  When MEchelle was opening the door for bug eyed crazy woman and instructing her to go to the refrigerator for an envelope, she turned to the side and I swear the woman looks pregnant. I am hoping it is just the shirt but it is strange. 

I saw another picture of her in the past couple of days at a speaking engagement and people commented that she looked larger as well.  I really hope this is not the case.  

I agree - the photo was on Pickles and Hairspray and I swear Michelle looked pregnant too - about 5 months. I seriously doubt it's a naturally conceived pregnancy with her being almost 50. But she might have been so desperate as to venture into IVF territory. 

She's almost 50 years old and has DELIVERED EVERY ONE 19 times, plus two more misscarriages. Between all those pregnancies, scar tissue, gravity and a little extra weight, she's never, ever gong to have a flat stomach and firm boobs, and NOT look a few months pregnant. 

I watched the episode on Tuesday night and then immediately deleted it from the DVR, so I can't confirm this, but I'm 95% sure that when Jessa & Ben were showing Josh, Anna et al. the house, Jessa made some statement about when Josie "gets out."  Not when Josie "gets married" or when Josie "moves out," but when she "gets out."  It really made it sound like getting out of prison.  Did anyone else catch that and think it was a weird choice of words?  

May have been a slip of the tongue, but that pretty much sums it up. Marriage is the only escape route.

• Love 3