Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Anna's Having a.....

(edited)

* Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand this modern-day obsession with large-scale gender reveal parties.  I've had a child whose gender I didn't learn until her birth and I was out of my mind with excitement about it, but sheesh.  Painted flamingos, balloons, hundreds of pink and blue candies, confetti, secret envelopes . . . yeah, just reveal it already.

* Josh's snarky little comments (again) about the size of his old house., now inhabited by Bin and Jessa.  Real nice, Josh.

* I will admit right here in front of everyone that I (and my 14-year-old daughter) laughed like maniacs when Marcus fell on the floor in front of the coffee table right after MEchelle fake-ass blabberings about how thrilled they were to be babysitting the kids.  Jim Bob's hysterical laughing right in Marcus' face as he pulled himself up from the floor put it over the top.

* Josh and Anna's trip to the home for underprivileged young mothers.  I have a hard time believing that was spontaneous as we were led to believe.  Still, I will grudgingly say that it was nice of them to give the ladies the bear.

* I see that we're still pretending Sierra is a party planner extraordinaire.  I've attended elementary school pageants organized by volunteer PTA moms that flowed better than this woman's events.  *cough* melted ice cream *cough*

* I'm kind of relieved that the new baby is a girl.  Mackynzie will need help raising her brothers (but I'm hoping that Anna will not fall into the MEchelle trap).

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 18
(edited)

Admittedly, I really like Josh and Anna as a couple. I think they have a really strong relationship and they seem more like a team than any of the other couples, including JB and Michelle. They would have been good together whether they'd met through ATI or in high school or college if they were normal. They seem like they genuinely enjoy learning and growing up together. So that's a win for them.

I will say that I side-eyed Anna at the home for mothers. Her own sister was in a very similar situation, so I hope she was as supportive as she should have been.

I love Mack and Michael. They make the funniest faces when they know the other has said something stupid. Died when Marcus face planted and JB laughed at him. I laughed at him too.

Sierra is annoying and controlling. When Michelle is looking at you like you need to tone it down, you should be tranquillized.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 8
(edited)

Another epic fail for our event planner extraordinaire! Installing lawn decorations on frozen ground. Bravo, Sierra you have really outdone yourself.

Josh and Anna's idea of charity is pathetic. Sure, donate a cheap teddy bear that you wouldn't have been able to bring on the plane anyways. I guess LA has no Targets or Walmarts where you could have, you know, bought baby and household supplies and given it to the women.

I will admit my cynical heart warmed to JD tonight. When Boob was ragging on Michael and telling him Anna would be mad about his dirty clothes, JD said off camera "aww, don't worry she'll be okay." I thought it was sweet that he tried to make the poor kid feel better.

Lastly, I loved how none of the Duggar kids managed to fake an ounce of enthusiasm for the jender reveal. During the planning session they were bored out of their minds. That gives me hope, lol.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13

I'm hoping Josh and Anna made an actual donation to the young mothers' home. They had to have done more than unload that stupid bear, right?

And really, WTF did the yard full of flamingos have to do with anything? What was the theme of that party ... pink and blue? Flamingos ... and signs ... and cupcakes ... and then the unfurling of a sign. Someone explain this to me, please.

• Love 7
(edited)

Worst gender reveal party ever.  If I were the fellows I would have choked Sierra.  She does not seem to understand winter, they froze at Jessa's awful outdoor reception and tonight they had to paint flamingos and then drill holes in the ground.  I bet they boys hope they get a better planner before the next big event.  

I too think Anna and Josh are a good match and seem to enjoy being together and with their kids.  

Edited by auntieminem
  • Love 2

Josh giving the huge bear to the residents of the home for mothers. WTF? What are the moms supposed to do with that? How about prying open your wallet, Josh, and giving them some cash? It irks me that the pro-lifers who are out to save babies ignore the fact that it takes a lot of money to raise the babies they saved. 

• Love 19
(edited)

I'm hoping Josh and Anna made an actual donation to the young mothers' home. They had to have done more than unload that stupid bear, right?

And really, WTF did the yard full of flamingos have to do with anything? What was the theme of that party ... pink and blue? Flamingos ... and signs ... and cupcakes ... and then the unfurling of a sign. Someone explain this to me, please.

Josh posted this to IG: 

https://instagram.com/p/2mv_N_OWOW/?taken-by=joshduggar

But I doubt they gave the place a dime of their own money, especially when a bear and a photo op will suffice. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
(edited)

* Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand this modern-day obsession with large-scale gender reveal parties.  I've had a child whose gender I didn't learn until her birth and I was out of my mind with excitement about it, but sheesh.  Painted flamingos, balloons, hundreds of pink and blue candies, confetti, secret envelopes . . . yeah, just reveal it already.

* Josh's snarky little comments (again) about the size of his old house., now inhabited by Bin and Jessa.  Real nice, Josh.

* I will admit right here in front of everyone that I (and my 14-year-old daughter) laughed like maniacs when Marcus fell on the floor in front of the coffee table right after MEchelle fake-ass blabberings about how thrilled they were to be babysitting the kids.  Jim Bob's hysterical laughing right in Marcus' face as he pulled himself up from the floor put it over the top.

* Josh and Anna's trip to the home for underprivileged young mothers.  I have a hard time believing that was spontaneous as we were led to believe.  Still, I will grudgingly say that it was nice of them to give the ladies the bear.

* I see that we're still pretending Sierra is a party planner extraordinaire.  I've attended elementary school pageants organized by volunteer PTA moms that flowed better than this woman's events.  *cough* melted ice cream *cough*

* I'm kind of relieved that the new baby is a girl.  Mackynzie will need help raising her brothers (but I'm hoping that Anna will not fall into the MEchelle trap).

100% agree about gender reveals. Another Hallmark 'holiday' in a sense. In fact, Hallmark probably has "congrats-we-heard-what-you're-having" cards too. Oy. I hate to be Cranky Old Lady here, especially since I'm just 58, but whatever happened to waiting? Whatever happened to patience, and anticipation? Call me when science can tell you the IQ of your future offspring before its birth. PS - bet we won't have 1000s of parties then - LOL! Anyway, until then, I can wait til the lil pudder is born to find out if it's a B or a G.

Josh should really get over it about his old house. If Boob hadn't been forced to renovate and de-mold it, Jessa and Ben would no doubt be living in the same crappy little starter home he and Anna had and which, BTW, was a lot more than many 20-something newlyweds have with one income and their level of education & training.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 12
(edited)

I am honestly wondering if Sierra confused storks and flamingoes? It would actually make sense for there to be storks at a baby party. And if yes, OMG, she is indeed clueless!

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 24

Josh should really get over it about his old house. If Boob hadn't been forced to renovate and de-mold it, Jessa and Ben would no doubt be living in the same crappy little starter home he and Anna had and which, BTW, was a lot more than many 20-something newlyweds have with one income and their level of education & training.

Or couples in their 30's, with this economy. Josh's new Arkansas house is no prize as it stands now, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

100% agree about gender reveals. Another Hallmark 'holiday' in a sense. In fact, Hallmark probably has "congrats-we-heard-what-you're-having" cards too. Oy. I hate to be Cranky Old Lady here, especially since I'm just 58, but whatever happened to waiting? Whatever happened to patience, and anticipation? Call me when science can tell you the IQ of your future offspring before its birth. PS - bet we won't have 1000s of parties then - LOL! Anyway, until then, I can wait til the lil pudder is born to find out if it's a B or a G.

When I had my daughter, I couldn't have been in a worse situation (bad marriage with a man who refused to work).  I would have killed to have been given a free house, regardless of the size.  Josh has some nerve to criticize that so-called "small" house.  Sure, maybe it's small compared to a 9,000-square foot home inhabited by almost two dozen people, but most of us would be more than happy with it, especially when we're unemployed and in our late teens (Bin) and early 20s (Jessa).  Snarky, bitter little comments like the ones Josh makes about that house and a few other things make me question his sincerity when he visits places like the home for unwed mothers.  You just know he's brushing the dust of those places off his shoes on his way out the door.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 12
(edited)

I am honestly wondering if Sierra confused storks and flamingoes? It would actually make sense for there to be storks at a baby party. And if yes, OMG, she is indeed clueless!

Oh. My. God. Somebody please tell me she's not that stupid. Although I think you are correct, Wellfleet. She just might well be.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 6

Josh "I think it's a great starter home. There's only so much you can do in 960 sq. feet."

A) That's actually a good size home for a young couple family. (My grandparents had children in a much smaller space.)

B) eww!

The giant bear is the only prize they could have won? Really?

I'm glad Anna is ok with morning sickness, but I have known people who had healthy babies with none to little morning sickness. 

Josh on the trampoline:

"I'm honestly wondering what I've gotten myself into."

I bet he thinks this a lot. 

I can't believe JimBob thought telling Michael not to get paint on his clothes would be enough to keep paint off his clothes. He's three years old! Seriously! You have to supervise kids that age around paint if you don't want a mess. Why would Boob thinking telling a three year old would work? I have zero kids and I know more than that.

I think the signs are weird as is the whole big party gender reveal. why not just do the ultra-sound?

I liked Anna saying about the flamingos "Is this supposed to represent how many grandchildren Jim-Bob and Michelle are supposed to have?"

The frame is an okay gift.

We knew Josh and Anna were having a girl before Israel was born, and they showed footage of him (out of the womb) at the gender reveal party. Continuity, TLC?

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't believe Sierra really "volunteered" to throw that hot mess of a party. Sounds like producer-intervention to me. 

eta: All real, production crew? Like how everyone is acting like they never see one another, when in REAL reality, Smuganna are at the TTH every other week. They act like Marcus hasn't stayed in the guest house hundreds of times before this. I imagine the MKids all have their own bedrooms there, and for this vacation, Jana and Joy slept there with them.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

From Josh's perspective, both his sisters got far better homes than he did.  Jill got the McMansion, and Jessa got his old place, but totally renovated.  Of course he should be grateful that he got help with a home, but Jim Bob clearly did more for the girls, and that has to sting a bit.  

• Love 5

From Josh's perspective, both his sisters got far better homes than he did.  Jill got the McMansion, and Jessa got his old place, but totally renovated.  Of course he should be grateful that he got help with a home, but Jim Bob clearly did more for the girls, and that has to sting a bit.  

I wonder if Jim Bob believes that a daughter requires a dowry?  Didn't he give Josh the car lot?  I may be wrong, but I think the idea may be to give the sons a business or trade and the daughters a home.

Also, note to Jim Bob:  If I am Anna, or Grandma, or whoever is stuck doing the laundry, I would most definitely NOT be mad at sweet, little Michael.  However, I would drag the idiot who let him play in paint without putting him in a paint shirt into the laundry room and tell him to get to work!

• Love 13

In this "episode" they showed Josh and Anna telling their "nurse?" to write the gender down and put it in an envelope.  But in the preceding episode, they told the sound guy the gender and to keep it to himself only telling one other person (it was not specified who). Unless it was another baby?

• Love 1

Breaking in to ask a question. Do these people know other words besides like, awesome, and special?

Their vocabulary is limited. It's that fundie education

When I had my daughter, I couldn't have been in a worse situation (bad marriage with a man who refused to work). I would have killed to have been given a free house, regardless of the size. Josh has some nerve to criticize that so-called "small" house. Sure, maybe it's small compared to a 9,000-square foot home inhabited by almost two dozen people, but most of us would be more than happy with it, especially when we're unemployed and in our late teens (Bin) and early 20s (Jessa). Snarky, bitter little comments like the ones Josh makes about that house and a few other things make me question his sincerity when he visits places like the home for unwed mothers. You just know he's brushing the dust of those places off his shoes on his way out the door.

Maybe Josh should go to school and get a real job if he wants a bigger house

Josh posted this to IG:

https://instagram.com/p/2mv_N_OWOW/?taken-by=joshduggar

But I doubt they gave the place a dime of their own money, especially when a bear and a photo op will suffice.

I hate when celebs be like donate but they don't even donate. Josh did you donate or did you just give them bibles?

• Love 1

In one of their books, Boob and J'Chelle explain that they give each of their daughters a car when she's old enough, but not their sons. I guess it's one of the only perks to their patriarchal lifestyle, but I'd still rather be earning my own money and buying my own car. I'm guessing the same logic applies to the houses, although they have been confusing with their wording -- I don't believe they were actually given the houses; they're just living in them and will eventually buy their own and the ownership will remain with Boob and J'Chelle.

(edited)

Suzy - I do not get the whole gender reveal party either. When Anna said Sierra did such a good job on the weddings she wanted her to do her party I almost died. She could not be a worse party/wedding planner if she tried.

Boy, Anna and Josh sure do have cute kids. Why were they letting Michael paint to begin with? Those people just don't use their brains. Looks like Josh has gained all the weight back he lost plus more. Their visit to the home for the unwed moms was for the cameras only. I'm sure he and Anna were both thinking about what heathens those girls were. I don't think the used car business was Josh's, I think he just ran it for Boob.  Josh was lucky he got his grandmother's house, other wise he would have actually had to pay rent for something.

Their limited vocabulary is really starting to get on my nerves.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 6

I don't get jender reveals either. While relatives and friends are usually happy for an expectant couple nobody is really that invested in whether they're having a boy or a girl, especially when you're talking about kid #4. Even the baby-obsessed Duggars couldn't muster up any fake enthusiasm.

I don't understand what exactly Sierra did that the Duggars couldn't have done on their own. There was decorations, balloons and a few bowls of snacks/candies. That's pretty standard party fare. It hardly required an "event planner."

• Love 8

I noticed too that Mackynzie is picking up the habit (that I hate!) of ending her sentences with "So" or "And Yeah".  The J-Girls and Anna do that, they say one of those words then they just trail off and go silent like they don't know how to finish a story.

Gender reveal was not interesting considering it's #4 plus we've seen previews and pink all over the place so no real surprise.  They're just marking time until the final episode so they can pick up later with Jessa's baby (who will be walking before we get the birth episode) and the next courtship.

• Love 2

I don't like gender parties at the best of times (everyone give me presents and I'll tell you the genitalia of my unborn child!) but a party for #4? No one really cares.

Plus it seems rather pointless when they made such a big deal out of that silly cupcake reveal which was also a complete waste of time.  

• Love 6

Thoughts:

I felt bad for the lady running the home for moms & babies when she heard that Josh and Anna had a "donation" for her.  Obviously, she knew who they were, and probably thought it would be a nice monetary gift.  What the heck is she supposed to do with the giant bear??  Set it in that porch chair as an advertisement for the home?

I felt bad for Marcus when he fell (although he seemed unfazed) and grandma and grandpa are just laughing hysterically.  Maybe they did it to keep him from crying.  But to do it while being filmed by a crew?    It seemed to me that the grandparents were  ill-equipped to watch the grandkids alone, despite Michelle's comments that "it all comes back" after a few minutes.

Josh on the trapeze....they blurred out his underwear waistband? Really?  Blurred knees...blurred underwear waistbands....maybe it was plumber's  butt, who knows. I felt embarrassed for him that he couldn't get his legs up over that bar. 

I think the Duggar family is getting tired of these massive gender reveal parties.  None of them (except Marcus) seemed "into" painting the flamingos.  Poor Marcus looked worried when Grandpa kept telling him that "mommy's not going to be happy" about the paint on his pants.  Maybe that's something Grandpa should be held responsible for, instead of a toddler?

Lastly, I don't know why I watched this.

• Love 9

In one of their books, Boob and J'Chelle explain that they give each of their daughters a car when she's old enough, but not their sons. I guess it's one of the only perks to their patriarchal lifestyle, but I'd still rather be earning my own money and buying my own car. I'm guessing the same logic applies to the houses, although they have been confusing with their wording -- I don't believe they were actually given the houses; they're just living in them and will eventually buy their own and the ownership will remain with Boob and J'Chelle.

And the girls really don't have much more independence with a car of their own.  they can't go anywhere alone, it seems,  and are limited in their destinations.  

But, but, but they so need a party planner because MEchlle is sooo darn busy making appearance schedules she just have no time for planning anything especially for Anna who can have babies but she can't. Now we get Sierra because she is so precious and has special talents that the Duggars just don't have time for. lol

• Love 2

I don't get jender reveals either. While relatives and friends are usually happy for an expectant couple nobody is really that invested in whether they're having a boy or a girl, especially when you're talking about kid #4. Even the baby-obsessed Duggars couldn't muster up any fake enthusiasm.

I don't understand what exactly Sierra did that the Duggars couldn't have done on their own. There was decorations, balloons and a few bowls of snacks/candies. That's pretty standard party fare. It hardly required an "event planner."

And I agree with the posts above. Sierra was confused between storks and flamingos. 

• Love 3

But, but, but they so need a party planner because MEchlle is sooo darn busy making appearance schedules she just have no time for planning anything especially for Anna who can have babies but she can't. Now we get Sierra because she is so precious and has special talents that the Duggars just don't have time for. lol

I am thinking that Sierra is looking for a reality show of her own...

• Love 6
(edited)

Count me in with those who think having a big gender reveal party for a 4th baby is Too Much.

My husband asked me who Sierra was, and I said, "Oh, she's this annoying wedding/party planner who has inserted herself into their lives."  Sierra doesn't even need other clients at this point.  With all the Duggar weddings, showers and tacky gender reveal parties, she's set for life.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 7

I think this is the crux of it. I still think he's wrong for complaining, but JB clearly did less for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh was told that old place would be a learning experience - if he started there and worked really hard he could have what JB does someday. But then along come his sisters and one gets a million dollar mansion and the other gets a total renovation to improve the house Josh got. I also suspect the mold problem was there when Josh and Anna were living there so in Josh's mind JB does a full reno to fix a serious problem that he didn't care enough to fix when Josh's family was there.

Now I totally agree Josh is a big boy now and needs to get over it but let's face it, when it comes to parent and sibling dynamics we are all children LOL. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Now I totally agree Josh is a big boy now and needs to get over it but let's face it, when it comes to parent and sibling dynamics we are all children LOL.

Agreed! This may be the most normal sibling interaction we see from them. Older kids are always comparing and complaining about what the younger kids got and how they were treated better. My older brother and I are both pushing 30 and we still go off when we see our younger siblings getting things we didn't have! Heaven forbid if my little sitter got a free mansion or a renovated version of what I got. My parents would have to change their number!

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 13

I agree griping between sibs is normal but Jessa and Jill receiving nicer houses doesn't bother me. Those two put in a hell of a lot more work than Smuggar ever did, even lazy ass Jessa. The Duggar boys don't do jack shit around the house so they have zero appreciation for how much responsibility those girls had.

Regarding Michael, I remember when I was little my mother kept several of my father's old button-down shirts to use as smocks for when my friends and I did art projects. She'd just roll up the sleeves and we were good to go. There was really no need to keep ragging on a freaking three year-old about messy clothes. A little common sense goes a long way, Boob.

When Josh, Anna and the kids were touring Jessa's house, she had this look on her face like "I will cut a bitch if you leave smudges on my newly painted walls." Anna seemed to be much more good-humored about the upgrades than Josh.

• Love 9

Totally did y'all see the look on Anna's face when she discovered that her little helper Michael put the wrong detergent in the dishwasher? Umm she was ready to kill him. Not a happy smily moment----just a real one.

• Love 2

I think this is the crux of it. I still think he's wrong for complaining, but JB clearly did less for him.

Everyone forgets the Carlot, and that the family was a lot poorer when Josh moved out. I think. proportionally, Jim Bob and Michelle did a LOT for Josh, as much as Jill got.

Jessa? Meh. I think they all think she's a bitch - and it shows.

• Love 1

I am thinking that Sierra is looking for a reality show of her own...

Hey, it could happen. Remember when Billy the exterminator got his own show (briefly) after appearing on Dirty Jobs ? American Restoration/ Pawn Stars, yada yada yada.

• Love 1