Type keyword(s) to search

I'd Like To Thank the Academy... Someday: Awards, Nominations and Recognition

• Start Topic

(edited)

After some more research, I don't know what to make of this nomination. It feels like it's a bad thing according to some stuff I've been reading. It seems there is a faction of voters/nominators with an agenda to discredit the Hugo voting process. There are groups called "Sad Puppies", "Rabid Puppies" etc.

The more I look into this the more I'm not liking this nomination. It doesn't seem to be serious. It seems to have been done to mock the award or the show itself. This seems like a big ole fustercluck of a process. I don't get it.. I would be saying the same thing about the "Baby" episode given all that I'm reading about this voting process.  Bleh http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-john-scalzi-hugo-award-nominations-20160426-story.html

Excerpts from the article above

The Hugo Awards are also surprisingly easy to game in the nomination stage. Nominating for the Hugos is open to anyone who purchases a membership to the World Science Fiction Convention (“Worldcon”), this year taking place in Kansas City, Mo. In the last couple of years a pair of overlapping groups calling themselves the “Sad Puppies” and the “Rabid Puppies,” comprised of politically right wing writers and fans — think the tea party or Donald Trump supporters of science fiction — have posted slates of people and works they wanted to see listed as finalists.

These slates were made ostensibly to counter what the Puppies contended was a leftward trend in the Hugo nomination process — and to annoy those they saw as their political opponents in the science fiction and fantasy field. This culminated in a successful effort last year that saw the suggested slates dominating or filling up several categories entirely.

This year, once again, the two Puppy groups announced slates (or in the case of the “Sad” variant, a “recommendation list”) of people and works they wanted to see on the finalist ballot. Once again, many of their choices made the cut. But where last year’s slates were filled with nominees primarily of interest to the Puppies themselves, this year’s Puppy slates included works and authors already popular with science fiction fans and tastemakers, and (as a subset of both of these) Hugo voters.

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

Even though I'm not a fan of the church scene, Jared and Mark Sheppard both continue to cite that as their personal favorite episode for what it allowed them to achieve as actors. The seem to view that as "landmark"/"watershed. But Speight is saying that his episode and guest actor  pulled something out of Jared that made it a "LANDMARK" performance. Nah. That's where he lost me. Pfft. Whatever, Speight. 

I'm not arguing that actors should not be challenged by guest actors or that he shouldn't promote the episode. Nothing like that has been said here.There is promotion and there is propping at another's expense. Intentional or not, that's how it's coming across to me. JMHO. And again none of that has anything to do with my opinion of the episode.

Edited by catrox14

HIs answer does seem poorly worded, at the very least.  I don't believe he intended to slight Jensen, but there's a better way to say that your guest star was great, and he elicited a wonderful performance from your series regular.  Since Jensen, Mark and Misha are all very talented in their own rights, it would be silly for Richard to imply that they aren't up to the task of bringing out a good performance in Jared.  It could even be a mis-quote or a bad editing job.  Who knows.  Since Richard is obviously good friends with all of the cast members, I doubt he meant anything by it.

I agree, catrox. I found Richard's word choice to be insulting to the rest of the guest cast, especially other very talented guest actors such as Kim Rhodes and Jim Beaver with whom Jared worked quite extensively. I'm sure that Richard meant no such insult, but it does sound like that. And yes, I think it also insults Jensen. JMO

Regardless of whether the Sad/Rabid Puppies gamed the nominations again this year, the Hugos are very prestigious in the SF field.  Even the Puppies, in their various incarnations, know this -- it's why they've been suggesting slates of works, because they feel that their preferred type of old-style SF is being ignored these days.  Also, they tend to concentrate on the top few awards -- novels, novelettes, short stories -- trying to push out feminist/different/psychological or character-driven/diverse/female-written stories.  Plenty of other people nominated.  "Just My Imagination" was not nominated as a joke, trust me...some 1,000 plus people actually took the time to nominate, which isn't a check-the-box process.  You have to list, in order, up to five works in each category you're interested in that you think are worthy of an award.

It's a big deal just to be nominated.  It gets put in cover copy on books, added to authors bios, etc.

And, even with the Puppies doing their worst, if they manage to dominate the slate totally the way they did last year, if WorldCon attendees think there's nothing worthy of an award in a category, they vote "no award".  

• Love 2

Plenty of other people nominated.  "Just My Imagination" was not nominated as a joke, trust me...some 1,000 plus people actually took the time to nominate, which isn't a check-the-box process.  You have to list, in order, up to five works in each category you're interested in that you think are worthy of an award.

I'm well aware that the Hugos were prestigious. I am reading other things that say it was done as a way to fuck with the nomination process and why Grimm & My Little Pony were nominated also. I just don't want our show to be mocked in their war. I'd rather we be not nominated at all than it become a object of derision. That's the upshot of the things I've been reading beyond the LA Times article I posted. Blogs etc.  YMMV

People in SF know darned well which items are nominated as part of a slate, or as a joke, and which ones aren't. I've heard that the MLP episode(s) nominated were actually very good, FWIW...some sort of alternate dystopian universe thing.  I'm just amazed that only one Dr. Who episode was nominated; usually it gets three, sometimes four episodes nominated.  I believe it's the number one winner (in number of awards) in short form drama.

Maybe the general public is thinking the Hugos are an object of derision.  And there's certainly been lots of controversy in the past few years, which has seeped out into mass media.  But the SF fans I know who vote for Hugos are deadly serious; they read/watch all the entries in the forms they vote on, and vote their preferences.  It's not a joke or an object of derision to any of them, but a badge of honor and the only reason why many of them buy memberships in WorldCon (you can buy a voting membership cheaper than a con attending ticket).

i've been following the Puppies controversy since the beginning.  Vox Day and his followers are obnoxious, entitled old white men yearning for the Good Old Days (and sexist, homophobic, and racist, to boot).  The ConCom has changed the rules to avoid any obvious slate-gaming, by their cabal or any other.

• Love 2

http://talknerdywithus.com/2016/05/01/talk-nerdy-with-us-weekly-tv-superlative-awards-april-24th-30th/

Most Lovable Character: Supernatural

Jesse and Cesar

Over the course of eleven seasons, many characters have come and gone on “Supernatural,” and while some have had barely any effect on the show’s fans, others have debuted to wild fanfare. This is exactly what happened after episode 19 of the show’s eleventh season aired, in which Sam and Dean cross paths with another pair of hunters. What makes these characters so different, you ask? Well, this pair of hunters happens to be the first gay couple in the hunting community that the show has ever featured. Most important of all, though, the writer, Nancy Won, developed them in such a way as to make their sexual orientation a facet of their characters rather than their defining characteristic. If this wasn’t enough to resonate with fans, who appreciated the distinct humanness portrayed by them and Won’s avoidance of stereotypes, their heartfelt relationship was sure to do the trick. They complemented each other marvelously and won the audience over with their nuanced interactions. With any luck (and maybe a few nudges), the show will bring these two back in the future! In the meantime, I hope they enjoy happiness together; they’ve earned it. (Contributed by Jackie Bojarski)

Leo Awards Nominations are in.

The Nominees for Best Visual Effects
in a Dramatic Series are…

Mark Meloche, Grant Lindsay, Adam Williams,
Christopher Richardson, Mladen Miholijcic

Supernatural - O Brother Where Art Thou?

Mark Meloche, Grant Lindsay, Christopher Richardson,
Mladen Miholijcic, Cory Virs

Supernatural - Brothers Keeper

The Nominees for Best Make-Up

Charmaine Clark

Supernatural - The Werther Project

The Nominees for Best
Supporting Performance by a Male

Osric Chau

Blood And Water - 108 (not Supernatural but cool still)

(edited)

TVLine's Performers of the Week: Honorable Mention Jensen Ackles :)

http://tvline.com/2016/05/14/taraji-p-henson-empire-performance-season-2-cookie/

HONORABLE MENTION | When Supernatural‘s Jensen Ackles unleashes his trademark single tear, you know you’re in for a treat — and this Wednesday’s episode was no exception. After 11 seasons of fighting all forms of evil, Dean finally came face to face with Creation’s maker, which lead to an emotional, long overdue conversation with Him. As Chuck/God tried to justify his MIA status during Earth’s downfall as being for humankind’s own good, Ackles — in one of his most soulful performances in recent memory — perfectly captured Dean’s frustration and hopelessness. “It didn’t get better,” the elder Winchester weeped. To Ackles, we say, feel free to cry us a river any time.

I really wish the reviewer hadn't reduced it to "Single Man Tear'. So much more to that performance.

Edited by catrox14
incomplete thoughts

Columns

updated: 4/29/2016 7:26 AM

Forget the NFL Draft -- here's our Daily Herald TV character draft

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160429/entlife/160428616

Two weeks ago I floated the idea that Mike Ehrmantraut, the enforcer played by Jonathan Banks on "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul," had vaulted into the pantheon of TV's all-time great characters.

This weekend, the NFL Draft takes place in Chicago.

Those two unrelated things gave me an idea: What if a bunch of TV fans drafted a dream lineup of characters?

I asked 10 colleagues to participate in a double-blind draft. There are 11 players in a football lineup, so there are 11 characters in our exercise. Would we end up with a team full of critical darlings or personal favorites? The results appear below -- and feel free to leave us a comment at dailyherald.com with your picks.

1. Dean Winchester, "Supernatural"

(Chosen by multiplatform editor Rhiannon Root)

A shocking first pick! Jensen Ackles has played the sexy, sardonic demon hunter for 11 seasons on The WB and The CW and helped to build a devoted cult of "Supernatural" superfans. You can see that fandom -- and Ackles -- in action Sept. 9-11 at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Rosemont during the annual "Supernatural" convention.

• Love 2
(edited)

http://telltaletv.com/2016/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2016-tell-tale-tv-awards-round-one/3/

Jensen is up for Favorite Lead Actor in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV series.  I didn't even know this was thing until today. Voting closes on Thursday.  Right now, Amell is winning in a landslide and Jensen trailing far behind.

You can vote for up to THREE choices in each category from now through Thursday, May 19th at 12pm EST.

All awards are for the 2015-2016 Season, beginning with Summer of 2015.

Make sure to click “vote” after each category.

The top votes in each category will then move on to the final round, which will begin on Friday, May 20th.

Stephen Amell -- Arrow
Grant Gustin -- The Flash
Bob Morley - The 100

Ian Somerholder -- The Vampire Diaries

Sam Heughan - Outlander

Jensen Ackles - Supernatural

Thomas Jane - The Expanse

Joseph Morgan -- The Originals

Andrew Lincoln -- The Walking Dead

Peter Dinklage -- Game of Thrones

Charlie Cox - Daredevil

Bradley James - Damien

Edited by catrox14
more info
(edited)

Sam and Dean are up for Favorite BROtp...which okay can brothers actually be a BROtp since they are ...brothers. LOL I dunno.

http://telltaletv.com/2016/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2016-tell-tale-tv-awards-round-one/4/

Harvey and Mike - Suits

Oliver and Diggle - Arrow

Michael and Rogelio - Jane the Virgin

Jake and Charles - Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Dre and Rainbow Johnson - Black-ish

The Winchester Brothers - Supernatural

Darryl and Rick - TWD

Dean and Stewart - The Grinder

Alaric and Damon - The Vampire Diaries

Cisco and Barry - The Flash

Scott and Stiles - Teen Wolf

Nick and Schmidt -- New Girl

Rebecca and Paula - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Ryan and Esposito - Castle

Edited by catrox14

Sam and Dean are up for Favorite BROtp...which okay can brothers actually be a BROtp since they are ...brothers. LOL I dunno. 

Well, even that nomination is more legit than Alaric & Damon. "Bromance trampled to death before your eyes" maybe.  

(edited)

TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2016 Winners

From 'Supernatural' to 'Grey's Anatomy,' see which finale moments you voted as the best and worst of 2016

http://www.ew.com/gallery/season-finale-awards/2618013_best-and-worst-2016-finales

Best Non-Romantic Cliffhanger:
Sam is shot, Supernatural, 43%

Best Twist:
Mary Winchester returns, Supernatural, 53%

Best Final Shot:
Dean sees his mom, Supernatural, 35%

Most Rewound Moment:
Dean-Cas hug, Supernatural, 37%

Edited by catrox14

Unfortunately, the nominations don't come out until July. I think that's just those who THR think could be nominated. He would absolutely  deserve a nod. He was terrific in it. And he favorited one of my tweets LOL.

(edited)

Teen Choice Award nominations thus far:

Jared for Choice Sci-Fi TV Actor

Misha Collins for Choice TV Scene Stealer

Jared and Misha for Choice TV Chemistry.

Supernatural for Choice Sci-Fi TV Show.

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

So the Emmy nomination ballots are out:

Supernatural for Outstanding Drama Series (HOLY SHIT they actually submitted for nomination )/THUD

"The Vessel" for Outstanding Sound Editing in a Comedy or Drama Series. 

"The Vessel" for Outstanding Sound Mixing in a Comedy or Drama Series

"The Vessel" for Picture Editing

The Vessel was great but Baby was totally inventive IMO in it's cinematography, sound mixing, etc. 

I'm happy and disappointed at the same time. EVERYONE on SPN seemed to be so proud of 'Baby' and it seems to be the episode that was praised by most professional critics and fans alike.

I would have thought it would have been AT LEAST submitted for technical awards...but NOPE.

Edited by catrox14
On 6/15/2016 at 1:38 PM, catrox14 said:

So the Emmy nomination ballots are out:

Supernatural for Outstanding Drama Series (HOLY SHIT they actually submitted for nomination )/THUD

"The Vessel" for Outstanding Sound Editing in a Comedy or Drama Series. 

"The Vessel" for Outstanding Sound Mixing in a Comedy or Drama Series

"The Vessel" for Picture Editing

The Vessel was great but Baby was totally inventive IMO in it's cinematography, sound mixing, etc. 

I'm happy and disappointed at the same time. EVERYONE on SPN seemed to be so proud of 'Baby' and it seems to be the episode that was praised by most professional critics and fans alike.

I would have thought it would have been AT LEAST submitted for technical awards...but NOPE.

Wow.  I'm pleased that they actually submitted SOMETHING.  Maybe those bottles of Johhny Walker helped....

• Love 1

Eric Kripke receiving The Dan Curtis Legacy Award from the Saturn Awards tomorrow night. Rumor has it Jared and Jensen will be on the Red Carpet and rumor has it they are presenting the award to him. But I haven't seen anything on Twitter that makes that 100% clear.

But good on Kripke for this award!

Eric Kripke
The Dan Curtis Legacy Award

The Dan Curtis Legacy Award will be presented to producer / writer Eric Kripke who is the creator and producer of one of television's most popular genre shows, Supernatural, which has been on the air since 2005.  Eric's work also includes the NBC series Revolution, Ghost Facers, and Tarzan which he created with Mike Werb and Michael Colleary.  His newest project is the upcoming tv event, Time.  Eric is one of the most successful and sought after showrunners in television today.  Dan Curtis was one of television's most successful producers having produced such classic series as Dark Shadows, The Night Stalker tele-movie, Trilogy of Terror, and the mini-series The Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

(edited)

Vote for Supernatural to be the Cover for Entertainment Weekly's Fall TV Preview issue

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/06/fall-tv-preview-cover-battle

For the first time, Entertainment Weekly is asking YOU to choose who will appear on the cover of our annual Fall TV Preview issue that goes to subscribers. The competition launches July 6 at 12 p.m. ET, and you’ll have the chance to make your voice heard when it ends Aug. 1 at the same time. Come back each round at 12 p.m. ET to vote for your next Entertainment Weekly fall TV preview cover star — and enlist your fellow fans to boost your show’s chances with the hashtag #EWCoverBattle. (See the full list of shows here.)

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Okay so the boys made it out of Round 1. SPN crushed Last Man on Earth with 69.4% of the vote. SPN is now up against Madam Secretary in Round 2. The other part of the SPN bracket is How To Get Away With Murder Vs Once Upon A Time. So you might consider which of those SPN could beat and vote accordingly should SPN beat Madam Secretary. 

It's a stupid way to pick the cover but since our little show that could has never been on the cover in 11 seasons I'm voting the crap out of this one!

http://www.ew.com/special/fall-tv-cover-battle?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

• Love 1
(edited)

The results are in and your choice for Biggest Damn Male Hero is… actually TWO people! Congrats to the Winchester Brothers!

How could we pick just one of the Winchesters for biggest male hero? The brothers are a package deal and it’s about time we acknowledge the hard work these two, seemingly ordinary, guys put in to prevent the world from going under. Without any supernatural powers (other than those occasionally afflicted on them) Sam & Dean roam around the country saving people and hunting things… and more times than not they actually seek out danger rather than wait for it to come knocking. The Winchester brothers have been to hell and back (multiple times), fought everything from werewolves to Paris Hilton, all while giving us the humor and emotional drama that has become their trademark. In fact, they’ve done it so well that Supernatural is now in it’s 11th year. Needless to say, these male heroes have accumulated quite a fan base. –Lisa Montgomery

http://ap2hyc.tumblr.com/post/147251449267/biggest-damn-male-hero-the-winchesters

Edited by catrox14
9 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I've been voting. I'm hoping that since Supergirl isn't on the CW yet, we'll score a win. Fingers crossed. I'm worried about Arrow though.

I'm voting Arrow and SPN. My goal is that the two shows that get the biggest shaft by CW PR make it to the final round.  At that point all my votes go to SPN but if Arrow wins I won't be particularly upset either.

10 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

See, I'm avoiding TWD and voting for Gilmore Girls. Otherwise we'll possibly end up against TWD. :(

I'm literally only voting for SPN and Arrow. I'm worried that Gilmore Girls will split the SPN vote because of Jared, in that may some folks who are primarily GG fans and dislike SPN but like Jared will siphon votes from SPN. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

So, SPN made to the final four of the EW cover battle. But oddly enough it's not a bracket anymore and you pick one of the final four. Strange.

SPN
Arrow
Gilmore Girls
Big Bang Theory.

Weird that they changed the format at this point.

http://www.ew.com/special/fall-tv-cover-battle

TIME TO VOTE!!

But 45 days to find out who won?  Wow....

Edited by pixelcat
To find out who won?

Odd.  

I happened to chech just a few minutes before the last round ended.  Of course I voted for Supernatural. As soon as the round ended, it went straight to the next. Supernatural vs Big Bang and Arrow FS Gilmore Girls.  I also checked on the %'s for the last round. Supernatural was in the 80's while everyone else was high 60's (if memory serves). 

My speculation:. We were running away with it and they want to keep stringing along all 4 fandoms. After handily defeating Supergirl, it was likely we would beat Big Bang.  The wild card is Gilmore Girls.  Honestly, I can see EW putting their thumb on the scale for Gilmore Girls.  It's always been both a critical darling and a fan favorite.  

My apologies for the tart (or even bitter) cakes here.  But this makes me want to make SURE we win. Outlet little show deserves some love. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, SueB said:

Odd.  

I happened to chech just a few minutes before the last round ended.  Of course I voted for Supernatural. As soon as the round ended, it went straight to the next. Supernatural vs Big Bang and Arrow FS Gilmore Girls.  I also checked on the %'s for the last round. Supernatural was in the 80's while everyone else was high 60's (if memory serves). 

My speculation:. We were running away with it and they want to keep stringing along all 4 fandoms. After handily defeating Supergirl, it was likely we would beat Big Bang.  The wild card is Gilmore Girls.  Honestly, I can see EW putting their thumb on the scale for Gilmore Girls.  It's always been both a critical darling and a fan favorite.  

My apologies for the tart (or even bitter) cakes here.  But this makes me want to make SURE we win. Outlet little show deserves some love. 

I had a similar thought, Sue.

I'm pissed off because I wanted the final round to be Arrow vs SPN. SPN gets screwed by CW PR constantly and Arrow is getting screwed by the Flarrowverse when the Flarrowverse wouldn't even exist without the success of Arrow. So my bitter cakes are now stacked really high. It's bullshit to change the format of the voting at this point of the "election". I call fucking shenanigans.

Joining in the bitter cakes, girls. As soon as I see a change of format, I suspect foul play. They want people to subscribe to their mag, so they're playing this little game. And now with Sue's info, I'm sure they're going to put THEIR FAVORITE on the cover. Yeah, I know I'm cynical. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

Joining in the bitter cakes, girls. As soon as I see a change of format, I suspect foul play. They want people to subscribe to their mag, so they're playing this little game. And now with Sue's info, I'm sure they're going to put THEIR FAVORITE on the cover. Yeah, I know I'm cynical. 

If it turns out to be Gilmore Girls, Jared will probably be on the cover any way given that he was asking fans to vote for both for his birthday. 

• Love 1

Hey catrox, I wanted you to know that I started watching "Stranger Things" based on your recommendation. Good Lord, it is as you described. I'm only on the second episode, but plan to watch all eight.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Hey catrox, I wanted you to know that I started watching "Stranger Things" based on your recommendation. Good Lord, it is as you described. I'm only on the second episode, but plan to watch all eight.

Ha! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It really picks up the pace with ep 3.

• Love 1