Type keyword(s) to search

I'd Like To Thank the Academy... Someday: Awards, Nominations and Recognition

• Start Topic

The exposure might be helpful to their careers. And actors who already have packed schedules and aren't looking for more work, like JA and JP, don't have anything submitted.

They did submit in the earlier Seasons, though. Back when they were on contract for several more years. And after the show had been renewed each time so they knew they would be locked in for at least one more year. So I don`t think that`s it. I think they are aware that a) never gonna happen and b) the quality of the material has gone down so much, it`s hard to put together even a reel. 

They did submit in the earlier Seasons, though. Back when they were on contract for several more years. And after the show had been renewed each time so they knew they would be locked in for at least one more year. So I don`t think that`s it. I think they are aware that a) never gonna happen and b) the quality of the material has gone down so much, it`s hard to put together even a reel.

The quality of the material should not be used as a measure of the acting. IMO J2 have elevated the writing and they make even questionable writing work from the acting side. Jensen and Jared IMO have done some of their best acting this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

If it is about getting more offers than I can see them not bothering.

Also, not sure that either really care.  Jensen likes spending his off time with family and playing music.

Jared seems to be enjoying spending time playing water sports, being with family and I don't know that he cares.

IA that they have both done some really good work this season and even last season had some moments that were good.  I just don't think that those in charge of giving out the awards would see them as the right kind of actors for awards due to the show their on.

However, what is popular or what is considered great acting isn't always.  Will be interesting to see what happens after SPN but I don't think a horror show will ever get the kudos.  I know if I didn't watch this show, I wouldn't have thought they would deserve anything because horror doesn't require the acting chops of Shakespeare.  It's an unfair bias but one that makes it really difficult for the actors to overcome, if that makes any sense.

Jared's blown me away in a few places, but Jensen does it on a regular basis.  Shame we can't control the vote.  :)

Edited by 7kstar
(edited)

American Horror Story on FX has 51 Emmy nominations and 8 wins to date. True Blood seems to get nominated for Emmys more than I would have expected but that's because it's on HBO.  So I think the tide is changing about horror shows but probably not CW shows even if they are really good. 

Edited by catrox14

Let's face it, the Emmy wins have become almost exclusively cable or premium channel shows - both of which have a different base for the productions of their shows and don't rely on advertising dollars.  Only network comedies have a prayer of getting a nod or maybe an occasional drama. The whole thing has become somewhat of a joke. The original concept of honoring shows that were above the rest - on equal footing - is long gone.

• Love 1

I don't bother watching the Emmys any more ; there are so few surprises. You know Mad Men will win everything this year because it's done. Even if Supernatural got nominated it would be a pity nomination.

Jensen Ackles, Supernatural

16.1%

Ioann Gruffudd, Forever

30.1%

Sam Heughan, Outlander

37.6%

If Jensen has to loose I don't mine him loosing to Forever, since the show's been cancelled and he did do a really outstanding job.  He deserves the recognition.  But at least Jensen looks like he is 3rd right now.  :)

Well I don't think it will happen.  He's rock solid in 3rd place and first and second haven't really changed.  Jensen has gone up to 19.2 but the lead is at 38.5.  Could be enough fans no longer really care as it has been 10 seasons and we know he can act.  :)

What do you mean? They are in the competition for Best Fandom and Best Cast on Social Media....

Best Fandom

Hannibal just got canceled.  So Fans are reacting.  Forever was canceled but looks like this one isn't the big competition.

Which show has the best fandom?

Outlander = 39.7

Hannibal =  41.0

Forever = 7.7

Supernatural  = 2.2

Which cast is the best on social media?

Outlander = 56.2

100 =  19.7

Supernatural  = 8.9

Social Media might be our best shot but we really aren't in the game there either.  By the way I voted for Supernatural for both.  Cause on the cast part they are pretty awesome.  :)

(edited)

Oh no. Travis....what have you done? This poor guy.  He is getting a shitstorm on Twitter for this.

Travis Aaron Wade ‏@TravisAaronWade Jul 8

My #TeenChoice for #ChoiceTVChemistry is #Destiel! http://www.teenchoice.com/article/wave-2-nominees?cmpid=tsm:twt:-FOX-tweet-text?cmpid=tsm:twt:-FOX-tweet-text… Congrats Gents @JensenAckles & @mishacollins u got my vote

Travis Aaron Wade ‏@TravisAaronWade Jul 8

Let's nip this in the bud. I support each of my cast mates. It's a big deal to be nominated for @TeenChoiceFOX after 10 seasons. @CW_spn

Sigh. Why can't fans just be happy our boys have been nominated for things?   Jared is still up for ChoiceTVSci-Fi Actor. I kind of hope all three win.

Edited by catrox14

I will never understand people.

"I’ll say it again—demons I get. People are crazy." -- Dean Winchester

Personally I think Jensen is more than capable of taking it in stride.  The dude is mature.  He knows where it comes from but he also knows what the show is and is not going to do.  If people write he and Misha up for an award, he's not going to feel threatened. 

• Love 2

I've been reading scuttlebutt on Tumblr about some attempt to give or throw bottles of Astroglide at Jensen and Misha  during the panel on Sunday. Have you heard anything about that?

*steps outside of Lurkers-R-Us Headquarters*

It's a mess. Astroglide tweeted about going to comic con to give out free samples, and there was at least one tweet about giving (that) lube to Jensen and Misha as a kind of prank. I've seen 3 types of people since: those who think extreme shippers would follow through the prank, those who think extreme anti-shippers overreacted, and a few people who think it would be (or would have been) a funny prank.

As I watched it all go down on tumblr (I have got to get off that site), I wondered if any of the 3 types realized they were "feeding" the other?

*returns to LRU Headquarters*

@Babblesmuch Thanks for delurking to confirm what I had seen. It might have been a funny prank for like 3 seconds.

Demented Daisy. I didn't mean throw at like a weapon lol. But toss bottles towards the Panel. It wouldn't surprise me if someone who wanted to make some kind of point would risk ejection and/or arrest.

catrox, the people on stage have no clue what is being thrown at them. Anything will be considered a weapon.

There is no such thing as playfully "tossing" something at a celebrity.

I'm not sure what you think I'm saying here. I never implied or said it would be playful or okay. Like at all. My post was inquiring with SueB who is at the con, if she had heard anything about it. I was trying to clarify that I didn't mean anyone would try to throw something to intentionally hurt them i.e. WEAPON.

I am not condoning the behavior. Like at all.

And yes some people are just that stupid. Thankfully I'm not one of them.

Well, I'll let you all know if I hear of anything as I make my Hall H attempt later today.  Here's what I think -- the first tube tossed would unambiguously get an unpleasant reaction from the Comic Con staff.  Would you really make all that effort to get into Hall H to see the panel, get withing tossing distance (NOT EASY) and then get arrested/thrown out? And I also agree, the panel members would have no clue what went on until after the fact.  SDCC is just not the place to pull that stunt. Not that I think the stunt would be good under any conditions.  These guys are exposed enough with literally thousands of people around them.  I don't care if you threw feathers for angel wings -- don't throw stuff at people under a microscope.  It would be very scary.  Even if harmless, there's that moment they would think it was not. 

But people don't always think about these practical things when they put these ideas out on the internet.  In the reality of the moment, I suspect they'd realize it was a bad idea. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I was commenting to someone that it was probably someone saying, "Hey, we should..." as a joke and others went and took it seriously. This is why I stand firmly behind not jumping off bridges just because someone else says I should. ;)

• Love 1

Demented Daisy. I didn't mean throw at like a weapon lol. But toss bottles towards the Panel. It wouldn't surprise me if someone who wanted to make some kind of point would risk ejection and/or arrest.

(Bolded emphasis mine.)  That made me think you thought the whole thing was funny.  I was just pointing out that it's not.

Welp, no Emmy noms for Supernatural.  The Flash was nominated for Outstanding Visual Effects and Jane the Virging for Outstanding Narrator (I didn't even know that was a thing).

Go Teen Choice Awards!

Unfortunately, Jensen seems to have lost. Not gonna lie, I was awake until like midnight, watching the votes and voting.

An hour before I went to sleep, Jensen had an 8000-ish vote lead...and then within an hour that lead shrank to less than a thousand. Go figure.

I didn't think he'd win because the Oncers(I think they call themselves that) are voting for Emma and Captain Hook.

But they will probably both go down to the Doctor in the end. This is a British publication after all.

Go the Doctor!

• Love 1
(edited)

YES!!!!! We won something!!!

Teen ChoiceTVChemistry for Jensen and Misha!

And Jared won for Choice TV Sci-Fi Actor!

But fucking Fox couldn't be arsed to actually announce it on TV.  Thanks Fox.

Well now I'm confused. I'm seeing it all over Twitter but can't find official confirmation.

ETA: Yes now it's on the Fox Teen Choice website.  

They all won! YAY!!!! 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

I continue to be disappointed that Jensen did some really nice work in the shoddily executed story and yet for acting awards, he continues to get snubbed. I know those are just silly popularity awards, often bought and paid for but it`s like his work isn`t appreciated at all. 

Stuff like this chemistry award are more like a joke-category to me.  

I continue to be disappointed that Jensen did some really nice work in the shoddily executed story and yet for acting awards, he continues to get snubbed. I know those are just silly popularity awards, often bought and paid for but it`s like his work isn`t appreciated at all. 

Stuff like this chemistry award are more like a joke-category to me.  

IA, it's disappointing. But if you look at the "legit" award shows, I think they aren't all that legit either.

Emmys: First, it's a genre show so "no chance".  Second, most of the voters are older white males.  Which means that unless they ACTUALLY watch the show, they are going to be turned off by "hot studs" optic.  Now the show is more than that, but the J's ARE handsome.  So without some massive critical buzz that gets attention, they aren't even on their radar.  Third, you have to enter to win.  I think the boys stopped entering a few years ago.  From what I can tell, the Emmys are all about "buzz".  So on a rare occasion someone who hasn't gotten an award after years FINALLY gets one (see likelihood Jon Hamm FINALLY takes home an Emmy), but usually, if they haven't gotten nominate in the first year or two of airing -- then it's not happening.  And once they ARE nominated, they stay closer to the top of likely candidates, regardless of performance.

Golden Globe: Hollywood Foreign Press. A TINY number of people who vote primarily to look relevant IMO.  Which means they pick who they think are going to win Emmys or going to win Oscars.  They've had some blatant mis-steps of seriously undeserving winners but generally, they play it safe.

Television Critics Award. Large group, the best chance the J's have. BUT... it's genre, they've been doing it a decade, AND the TCA's want to look important so they will play it safe or edgy.  "Genre" just is not going to win UNLESS it's edgy.  

So... it's just not happening.  It pisses me off. I've seen the performances of many of the winners and I'd definitely put Jensen up there. But... nope.  OTOH, I think Jensen knows the score.  He has to have made peace with this a loooooooong time ago.  

• Love 1

I agree that those awards aren`t any more legit either but because of the nature of the show, it`s not happening.

However, Jensen was even snubbed from being nominated for a silly surfboard for the acting category. Like, not even fucking that. 

I do think since the producers of the Teen Choice Awards have final say in the nominees and the winners, regardless of voting, that they did some shifting and excluding to include or exclude a maximum amount of people. Flash`s Grant Gustin apparently had more than enough votes to be included in the actor category as a nominee but instead he got choice TV breakout star. Which he won. He could have been included in both but the TCA avoided double noms for TV categories if at all possible. 

For the same reason, I think equally both Jensen and Misha had enough votes for the actor category but rather they just put Jared there and shifted Jensen/Misha to the chemistry category. But the acting category is more legit than the sillier chemistry one so this isn`t really equal. 

It`s maybe reason 457 why I want to see Jensen move on to other projects. There are no guaranteed chances there either but at this point better than right now. 

Of course I want Jensen to be recognized for his acting because he deserves it, as I have stated ad nauseum here. But I'll take what I can get at this point. For all of then.

Even if social media plays up the destiel aspect, the award is for cast chemistry based on the other nominees like the casts of BBT and Empire. It's a measure of how well actors play off each other to create engaging relationships from what I can tell. Also let's not kid ourselves, not just teens voted for this.

Sure there were votes for Destiel as a ship, canon or not. But I suspect there were also votes for Jensen and misha because they didn't get put into the actor category.

I'm cool with some recognition in some way. Fuck the academy people that don't see Jensens talent just because he's on a genre show.

• Love 2

I'm cool with some recognition in some way.

I just don`t consider it recognition. It`s a best a "you didn`t make it into a real category, thanks for playing" shtick. Considering this is the Teen Choice Awards, that`s adding insult to injury. And it has nothing to do with acting ability. So winning that and not winning anything at all are basically the same in my eyes. An in lieu of the acting category, it`s doubly shitty for me.

Jensen at this point is the only actor from the show who hasn`t even won a "silly award" for his acting. Misha got a PCA, Jared now a TCA. After ten years of hard work, this is like a slap to the face IMO. 

• Love 1