Type keyword(s) to search

I'd Like To Thank the Academy... Someday: Awards, Nominations and Recognition

• Start Topic

Tweeting is also being counted towards the shows overall rating (better ratings more advertising dollars, more funding for the show). 

I know. I just basically ignore every and all "awards" for the show itself, unless it`s an individual episode I found actually worthy of praise for a change. Because overall I would not give that writing any kind of positive acknowledgment.  

I just wish Jensen had gotten something for his turn as Michael in Nihilism. It was the first chance he really got to actually play the character and I loved it. But alas, didn`t happen.

• Love 3

I forgot the Canadagraph's BEST OF Awards voting is underway.  I'll post the links as soon as I can.  Also, one thing I noticed is that Alex Calvert is not nominated for anything, not Best  Recurring Actor nor Best Actor....I mean Jack is a nougat but Alex does a good job.

I just experienced (I think) an interesting phenomena.... regarding Social Media algorithms.  Last week Jared showed up in the Top 10.  Yesterday, when he put his commentary on Misha's pony pee story, I hit the tweet to read the comments.  I must have hit something else because I got into a 'you may also be interested in' page.  And it was Ariana Grande, CardiB, and other well known celebrities.  Normally when there are 'suggestions' with anyone from SPN, it's more SPN stuff.  I wonder if his Top 10 'appearance' resulted in an algorithm shift on who else to suggest.  Presuming he doesn't continue (it was a unique set of tweets leading up to the 300 episode), I'm going to guess in a few weeks, the 'suggestions' will be back to normal.  But it DOES suggest that the algorithms are dynamically causing some momentum for a personality 'on the rise' with their suggestions.  Put differently, I wonder if Ariana G fans suddenly had Jared P as a 'suggestion' for following.  And if that made a difference on his followers. 

Bottom Line: although this Top 10 recognition seems like a one-off, I wonder if the influence on algorithms has a slightly lingering affect?  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SueB said:

I just experienced (I think) an interesting phenomena.... regarding Social Media algorithms.  Last week Jared showed up in the Top 10.  Yesterday, when he put his commentary on Misha's pony pee story, I hit the tweet to read the comments.  I must have hit something else because I got into a 'you may also be interested in' page.  And it was Ariana Grande, CardiB, and other well known celebrities.  Normally when there are 'suggestions' with anyone from SPN, it's more SPN stuff.  I wonder if his Top 10 'appearance' resulted in an algorithm shift on who else to suggest.  Presuming he doesn't continue (it was a unique set of tweets leading up to the 300 episode), I'm going to guess in a few weeks, the 'suggestions' will be back to normal.  But it DOES suggest that the algorithms are dynamically causing some momentum for a personality 'on the rise' with their suggestions.  Put differently, I wonder if Ariana G fans suddenly had Jared P as a 'suggestion' for following.  And if that made a difference on his followers. 

Bottom Line: although this Top 10 recognition seems like a one-off, I wonder if the influence on algorithms has a slightly lingering affect?  

It'll be interesting to see what company today's tweet lands him in. Hehehe.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I think Dean has won this category all but like two times since these started. HEE

"This years winner for Favorite TV Character is Dean Winchester "Supernatural" (portrayed by Jensen Ackles) with 86 votes, giving him his 6th award in this category (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017 winners). This is the shows 59th award in the history of the BOTVAs. This is his 9th consecutive finals appearance (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st) which is tied for the the longest run of any nominee in any category."

☺️

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

"This years winner for Favorite TV Character is Dean Winchester "Supernatural" (portrayed by Jensen Ackles) with 86 votes, giving him his 6th award in this category (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017 winners). This is the shows 59th award in the history of the BOTVAs. This is his 9th consecutive finals appearance (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st) which is tied for the the longest run of any nominee in any category."

☺️

Heh. It was better than I thought!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, rue721 said:

That's not a picture of Dean Winchester, though? Isn't that Michael? 🤣

Yup, which I chuckled at. I mean try a little harder at these things, media people. LOL

• Love 2

After years of noone from SPN ever being nominated, now Jensen is for Performer of the Month for February here

Odd and it`s not like that episode gave him a standout scene. I think he deserves it regardless but there are many other episodes that would have been better suited. 

3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

After years of noone from SPN ever being nominated, now Jensen is for Performer of the Month for February here

Odd and it`s not like that episode gave him a standout scene. I think he deserves it regardless but there are many other episodes that would have been better suited. 

Judging by the comments Jensen fans need to get to voting.

The nomination isn`t pimped out with articles and such and even then, I wouldn`t expect much from the current fandom so it would be a surprise if he won. A happy one but a surprise.  

13 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

The nomination isn`t pimped out with articles and such and even then, I wouldn`t expect much from the current fandom so it would be a surprise if he won. A happy one but a surprise.  

Jared won last month.  I would expect Jensen to win this month.

5 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Jared won last month.  I would expect Jensen to win this month.

There immediately was an article for the nomimation, advertizing it all over twitter and tumblr. There isn't now. Also lots of Jensen/Dean fans have left the random at this point. So it's not really comparable. 

• Love 1

Jensen's name is in the top comments but unless they are looking for it, they won't know about it.  I voted but there are others that some want to win just as well. 

1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

There immediately was an article for the nomimation, advertizing it all over twitter and tumblr. There isn't now. Also lots of Jensen/Dean fans have left the fandom at this point. So it's not really comparable. 

I think Aeryn makes a valid point.  The fan base doesn't feel as rabid as it once was...if that makes any sense.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Jensen's name is in the top comments but unless they are looking for it, they won't know about it.  I voted but there are others that some want to win just as well. 

I think Aeryn makes a valid point.  The fan base doesn't feel as rabid as it once was...if that makes any sense.

Any fans who have a twitter or tumblr or whatever could link to it I guess.  That might help.

Edited by tessathereaper
2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Is it official (as in announced by the site)? I don't follow SpoilerTV so I don't know. Did the uber-fans tweet about it like they did with Jared?

The voting just ended. So yes it is official. I haven't looked at twitter or FB yet.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Wow, that is a nice surprise. I'll just take it as a general win because he didn't get much to do in that specific episode.   

He did elevate the writing incredibly again, and was the only one to do that in that particular episode, IMO.

But he should have won something for Nihilism, too.

• Love 3

Well, neither he nor Jared will be eligible for another nomination this year. But they will be in the running for "Performer of the Year" because that recruits out of the monthly winner polls.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I see that they have a writers' choice and a fan choice. Jensen was a fan choice. Was Jared? Do the two choice often/ever go to the same person?

Yes, both were fan choices, the respective other actors are staff choices, that is people who work on the spoiler.tv website. Kinda like mods and formerly reviewers here. The sample size is of course smaller than the fan choice.  

The choices are mostly different. I don't recall seeing the same person winning for both. Nominations are seldom the same. Checking back a bit Jensen seems to be occassionally nominated for staff choice but hasn`t won so far. For fans choice noone from SPN has ever been nominated, not since this feature started.

For the remainder of this year noone from Supernatural can be nominated either because only two winners per year per show. 

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I see they're going to start accepting nominations for the Primetimer Awards next week.  A few categories SPN should have nailed:

Biggest season-long mindfuck

Biggest plot point letdown

Biggest What the Actual Fuck moment from a drama

Most gratuitous fanservice

Worst writing

As well as milder: least favorite actor, most disposable character and dumbest character moment (too many to possibly narrow down to one this season.)  

I can see Michael, Chuck and Lucifer figuring heavily in those categories.  It's sad that we'll probably win (or at least be nominated for) more "worst" than "best" awards.

Edited by ahrtee
extra word.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ahrtee said:

It's sad that we'll probably win (or at least be nominated for) more "worst" than "best" awards.

You reap what you sow. They don't deserve any "best" rewards for at least the past three seasons, possibly more. And this past year they deserve every "worst" award there is. Obviously, IMO.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Variety article about genre shows and the Emmys.  Mostly about GOT's but there is some Supernatural mentions.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/awards/game-of-thrones-superheroes-supernatural-emmys-genre-1203230115/

I agree with Kripke on not having an extra "genre" category and that this would be pretty condescending. It`s like last year or so when the Oscars considered having an additional "best popular movie" category where basically blockbusters woud be entered. Just so to get ratings for the awards since finally people would know some movies in the running. Either the blockbusters are conssidered good enough to be entered into "best movie" or not. 

Should be amusing to see how GOT fares now with Season 8, though. 

SPN as a show to me wouldn`t deserve an emmy. Maybe something akin to a "lifetime achievement award" for the sheer insanity of reaching 15 Seasons and 300+ in genre. With somewhat the same cast no less. And ratings-wise it didn`t even flame out. There is kudos in that, despite IMO the poor quality of the writing in the last years.  But I would hand that award to cast and crew, not the writers.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Voting for the first round of Primertimers is now open.  Since Game of Thrones has multiple nominations in pretty much all categories it's eligible in (and all the nominations seem to be winning all its categories so far), let's try to get some other shows in the next rounds at least!     

ETA: First round voting is only till *this Friday, June 14.*

Edited by ahrtee
47 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Teen Choice Awards???? At Jared's age and years on the show? I didn't think that the guys/show has had that nomination for years. That should tell us who Dabb's new fans are that he is pandering to. Yuck!

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Teen Choice Awards???? At Jared's age and years on the show? I didn't think that the guys/show has had that nomination for years. That should tell us who Dabb's new fans are that he is pandering to. Yuck!

I thought that was pretty funny. Most of the other nominee's look like they're 12.  

• LOL 3

All those children at conventions who giggle and admit they weren’t born when the show began... well, they’re the demo Dabb’s writing for.

I’m glad Jensen is moving on and maybe one day win an Award worthy of his talent.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, FlickChick said:

You'd think Alex/Jack would be of more interest to that crowd.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

What's funny is when Jensen was nominated for the PCA and Jared wasn't,  the gnashing of teeth by fandom was deafening and it took shaming the official Twitter and FB accounts into finally mention it on the last day of voting. I notice they were all over this though. 

Jensen can't get away from these people fast enough for me. It might not bother him but it bugs the snot out of me,

Aren't these all fan picks though?  PCA Teen Choice most of these click bait  awards shows are mostly a bunch of fans that can spend 24 hours a day voting endlessly.  If Jared or Jensen or Misha or whoever isn't nominated it's because their fans didn't think it was a big enough deal to vote. So basically it's an award for the most fanatical fans.

• Love 1