Type keyword(s) to search

I'd Like To Thank the Academy... Someday: Awards, Nominations and Recognition

• Start Topic

(edited)

Briana Buckmaster aka Sheriff Donna Hanscum was nominated for a Canadian Leo Award for Best Guest Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series for "Hibbing 911".

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 6
(edited)

Supernatural as some quotes of the Week from Spoiler TV

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/05/quote-of-week-week-of-may-10.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Supernatural:
1. Dean: "Oh, I ain't your boy, Cletus."
2. Cop: "They're practically gods around here." Dean: "Yeah, well, I kill gods."
3. Crowley: "I've done things you can't even imagine. Horrible, evil, messy things, and I've loved every. damn. minute."

Can't believe they left out

Dean: "Charlie. Her name was Charlie."

Dean: "...Three hearts, two spleens, seven nipples for the ladies...or the fellas...I don't judge. But even with all that ...you still have only one brain."

Edited by catrox14

Huh. Go figure.  Supernatural had some showings in the Entertainment Weekly Season Finale Awards.

Slide 3 of 21
Best Non-Romantic Cliffhanger

2. The Darkness/Crowley’s fate, Supernatural, 18.36%

Funniest Moment in a Drama

3. Castiel doesn’t have Crowley in his contacts list, Supernatural, 18.05%

Best Final Shot

3. The Darkness envelops Sam and Dean, Supernatural, 20.54%

I'll post the link to the article it's spoiler filled for other shows.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/tv-season-finale-awards-2015-winners/2173308_best-final-shot

Jensen nominated for Favorite Male Performer for something. YAY! Vote early, vote often!

Also, page two has Favorite Duo for Sam and Dean . YAY Vote early vote often!

http://telltaletv.com/2015/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2015-tell-tale-tv-awards/

Favorite Male Performer in a Drama: Jensen Ackles as Dean so Jensen won something!  The Outlander fans are mad that their stars weren't on the list, but they were included in new shows.  So we have a new rabbit fan base that will be trying to take down Jensen, but will have to wait till new year!  LOL.

(edited)

Favorite Male Performer in a Drama: Jensen Ackles as Dean so Jensen won something!  The Outlander fans are mad that their stars weren't on the list, but they were included in new shows.  So we have a new rabbit fan base that will be trying to take down Jensen, but will have to wait till new year!  LOL.

YAY!!!!!!

tumblr_lfoz34ubtT1qcytps.gif

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
(edited)

ETA: I don't understand the nominating process for Teen Choice.

Jensen and Misha each had nearly double the votes over Jared yet the committee nominated Jared anyway and they left out Grant Gustin who was nearly as popular as Stephen Amell but included both the Vampire Diaries actors. So confusing...

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
(edited)

It is the Teen Choice Awards...teenagers rarely make any sort of sense! ;)

I'm like 100% certain that voting wasn't only by Teens. This was all done via Twitter.

And the final decisions about nominations did not match the votes earned. So whatever process they have gets people to tweet the shit out of their nominees but goes ignored by the actual Teen Choice PTB

Edited by catrox14

There isn`t a single award that I can think of that holds merit for me these days. It`s all political/rigged/gossip popularity/same old, same old. And the "Teen Choice Awards" are something between a gum and a shoe that steps on it. 

The only thing even vaguely nice about it is showing some recognition. Which is why I could never be an actor, my ego wouldn`t take it. But Jensen seems rather sanguine about stuff like this. At least I hope that he knows he is worth so much more than a measly TCA and frankly more than SPN by a mile. 

I think the conventions have given him his awards and recognition.  I think that is another reason he is opening up more to the fans.  He now enjoys them and sees the opportunity.

Also as an actress, though I didn't do it that long due to all the hardships, you have a pull to act.  Anywhere.  I'm sure you would like to have the kudos, but when the same people keep getting it over and over...how much value does it hold?

He's happy and on a show that is fun to work on, and that isn't always the case.  Plus as Mark S said, I get to go to a convention and have the fans tell me what a great job I'm doing...where else in film do you get that.

Would I like to see Jensen get an award, sure.

They would never show pending results during the voting process of something like the "bla bla Choice Awards". Especially not the TCA because as it says on their site (albeit in small print) that the producers (of the show) will have ultimate final choice on who wins. Regardless of votes.

Now most teen voters would miss some fine print but hardly miss it if they could see actor/show A was leading the vote by a large margin all through and then magically actor C wins the award. They want the teens (and anyone else) as cheap advertisings cows, not rioters.

And the ultimate choice is about who the producers want to promote. Or rather which actor`s agency thinks this is a good promotion venue. For example if you have a client you think can be some hot new commodity and want to establish them as a teen heartthrob, the TCA are probably a good investment. Which I mean literally because the agency has to fork over money to the TCA producers if they want that promotional win. That surfboard is ultimately nothing else than if the management gets their client a prestigious magazine spread or an interview somewhere. It`s bought and paid for. Other than maybe the really ludicrous awards which I guess are just there for shits and giggles.

Oh that's a really interesting idea re the management promoting a certain actor.  Do you think Jared's management is angling for him to do other things and this is their way of pushing that?

I always understood that's how most award thingys go; nominations are made by either the show, the network and/or the actor/actress (or their team)? This is why I generally have a healthy skepticism about these things, awards are basically given to those who put themselves up to win. It's rarely based on actual merit, IMO.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do you think Jared's management is angling for him to do other things and this is their way of pushing that?

To be honest, I don`t think so. He has been nominated several times but they never went the extra mile to push him to win. In the Sci-Fi TV actor category for the last few years, you could basically rename that thing the "Ian Somerhalder Award". And Vampire Diaries does skew younger with Ian as the "heartthrob" of the show, so I understand the business logic behind it. Even if the actor himself is Jensen`s age, the target group for him is much more in line with the Teen crowd.

Since Jared got his "break" in the business, so to speak, with the TCAs (I think he won a contest and got to present one, didn`t he?), it would have made sense once upon a time but IMO not anymore. He is no longer the guy you would put in teen material for the next ten or so years. It`s a bit different with established A-list or at least high B-list movie actors because the recognition factor is already there so, say, George Clooney getting a nom regardless of age factor isn`t that surprising. But if the management wants to push someone from TV in a new direction, they will think of what avenue makes the most sense aka romantic hero/action hero/grown up roles/drama/comedy/whatnot.. 

Of all the nominees this year in this category, I would think Bob Morley of the 100 would make the most business sense to try and establish now. That or Ian gets another surfboard. Which I don`t begrudge him. Unless they are going for some nostalgia thing with Jared (see above) but I don`t know if that would be worth it. It`s more stuff for a little anecdote than a solid business investment.     

Edited by Aeryn13

The SPNFamily is moving the needle for Jensen in the Best.Ever. TV awards. He's at 13% and has now passed Stephen Amell for 3rd place behind the Outlander guy and Ioan Gruffudd. Voting is open until June 25. Yes, I'm invested in this. 

• Love 1

The Outlander and Forever are both rabid fan base.  Forever got canceled and they are trying to get it back on.

So I'm not surprised.  I watched Forever and liked it but I saw it at the end of it's run.

I haven't watched Outlander.

I would trade all the online awards for one Emmy nomination. 

I'm really annoyed with the CW. They are not promoting Briana Buckmaster's LEO nomination at all.  Of course they are all over Emily Bett Rickards being from Arrow which is fine but at least they could promote both nominees. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I haven't seen any but to be fair I haven't really looked. I suspect they will promote Jane the Virgin since the lead actress already won the Golden Globe and Greg Berlanti will push Grant Gustin because the Flash is clearly his baby even more than Arrow which makes my Oliver Queen loving little heart as bitter as fuck.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Jensen Ackles, Supernatural

16.1%

Ioann Gruffudd, Forever

30.1%

Sam Heughan, Outlander

37.6%

If Jensen has to loose I don't mine him loosing to Forever, since the show's been cancelled and he did do a really outstanding job.  He deserves the recognition.  But at least Jensen looks like he is 3rd right now.  :)

(edited)

Still 9 voting days. I'm pleasantly surprised at the slow steady progress. If he gained 16% in a week+ and continues to gain votes at that pace he could pass Gruffud.

Edited by catrox14

I wouldn`t begrudge Heughan the win either. Those scene in the Outlander Finale were...well, it`s hard to find words. Fearless maybe. And usually a domain of actresses, not actors. 

(edited)

Welp, neither Jensen, Jared, Mark or Misha are on the Emmy submission ballots. Dylan Everett and Felicia Day are for their guest roles so that's cool. 

Stephen Amell, Grant Gustin, Emily Bett Rickards (in supporting role LOL NO she is the female lead and Katie Cassidy (LOLOL WHAT SHE'S TERRIBLE) are on the ballots. 

Sigh. I thought maybe we would submit for Fan Fiction for writing if nothing else but nope.

It would be the ultimate irony if Dylan Everett was actually nominated for Dean Winchester...I really don't think I could take that. Not that I would begrudge Dylan but that would just hurt LOL

Edited by catrox14

Sigh. I thought maybe we would submit for Fan Fiction for writing if nothing else but nope.

Isn't Robbie Thompson leaving the show anyway? Or am I remembering that wrong?

I think it is another writer that is leaving  but can't remember.  What I found said Robbie is coming back even though he is working on something else.  But someone else may find more up to date info.

(edited)

Adam Glass left. Robbie Thompson wrote Fan Fiction. But even if the writer left doesnt mean he/she wouldn't/couldn't submit his/her work for SPN.

Thompson is writing the SILK comic for marvel along with writing and producing SPN

Edited by catrox14

You'd pick Fan Fiction to submit? Interesting. I mean, I enjoyed the episode enough and think it's one of the better written episodes of the season, but I'm not sure it would be able to compete with other shows. it's not as if the narrative was particularly clever or something this show hadn't done once or twice before and the dialogue was pretty basic in that episode. The songs were the only things that I'd say were a stand out writing-wise in that episode, but that's a different category entirely. What makes the episode work, IMO, more has to do with Jensen and Jared's performances than the actual writing. But then, it could also be that I'm ever frustrated with Robbie Thompson as I think he could be a stellar writer if he would just focus and write instead of getting distracted by trying to be cute and clever.

If I were to submit one episode for writing, I'd submit the Werther Project, but even that wasn't without it's problems. However, award shows like things that speak to a cause and suicide fits that bill, plus it's narrative is twisty and that's another thing award shows tend to like.

Did Supernatural get nominated for any technical awards? The visual/special effects team gets nominated sometimes.

(edited)

These are just the ballots to be submitted for possible nominations and can be downloaded from the Emmy website. They are PDFs.

I might have overlooked something, but I did not see Supernatural on the ballots for anything other than Dylan and Felicia.

I picked Fan Fiction because a musical episode of a show that is not a musical with actual original and GOOD songs that made sense within the show's universe and for the episode is pretty rare and worthy of Emmy submittal. I think it was better than Buffy's musical episode which set the standard, even without Jensen and Jared singing (who both can actually sing)and IMO would be digestible to the Emmy voters even without them being Supernatural viewers.

I have my issues with Fan Fiction because of how it dorked up the rest of the season because it just HAD to be the 200th.

I would have thought at least some technical stuff would be submitted especially for VFX like the scene wherein Rowena is spying on Crowley and the boys which was pretty fantastic or maybe something for art or set design but...nope.

Edited by catrox14

I picked Fan Fiction because a musical episode of a show that is not a musical with actual original and GOOD songs that made sense within the show's universe and for the episode is pretty rare and worthy of Emmy submittal. I think it was better than Buffy's musical episode which set the standard, even without Jensen and Jared singing (who both can actually sing)and IMO would be digestible to the Emmy voters even without them being Supernatural viewers.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the episode, I just think it would probably do nothing for non-viewers of the show. Being a musical for a non-musical show wouldn't probably factor in if voters didn't already watch the show and know this. And, if you didn't understand what the single-man-tear referenced, you might not find the song all that interesting. The Road So Far was fun, but non-viewers would probably not get it and they'd probably also wonder why a cover of Carry On My Wayward Son was so poignant to Sam and Dean. You wouldn't get the bitch/jerk joke, you wouldn't understand what this Samuet thing was, you wouldn't get all the Destiel jokes and so on. I think the episode requires too much understanding of Supernatural, to be strongly considered for an Emmy in the writing category. Plus, the actual writing is pretty straightforward; not even the dialogue stands out as particularly well-constructed, IMO.

I think it would've been nice if the episode was submitted in one of the musical categories, though.That seems to be where Robbie Thompson put his writing energy into for the episode and it would be nice for that to get recognized. Plus, I think Lennertz and Gruska did some nice arrangements that fit the episode nicely and I think they would stand out with other shows that are musical in nature.

Too bad the visual effects department didn't get nominated for a couple episodes though. And, really the art department should get nominated all the damn time, but I especially think the work they did in The Things We Carry and The Werther Project were stand outs. Oh and that library they built for The Book of the Damned was pretty awesome too.

Oh well, I guess it's not to be.

• Love 1

I think it was better than Buffy's musical episode

Blasphemy!  Kidding because different things for different people but I thought the Buffy musical was fantastic and managed to have quite poignant and touching moments for all the viewers whereas Fan Fiction was a piece of crap that catered to some and left a lot on the sidelines. I certainly didn`t feel like it was a love letter to me. 

I liked Dylan Everett`s portrayal but there is no chance of him being nominated. Supernatural will never even be nominated for acting or show or writing for the Emmys. 

If I had to pick a guest star to nominate I would choose Tim Omundson, probably the best guest star they had on in years. 

I'm pretty sure these anything in the Emmy potentials for actors are if they choose to submit.  No one "picks" them.  So the top 4 apparently don't bother anymore.  Makes me sad.

I was discussing this in the Arrow thread and some commenters were saying that there is a bit of network backing for some of these submissions because they cost money to submit and prepare the submission reels or what have you. I think the CW is focusing on the DC verse becaues well DC and superheroes are all the rage right now.

So I think the top 4 here don't submit for themselves and the network may not bother to submit on their behalf.  But yeah it's sad and annoying.  Maybe J2 have agreed to not submit.  i dunno. just spitballin

I have a TON of those "for your consideration..." DVDs, because a friend is a member of "the television academy" (aka, the people who are eligible to vote for this stuff) and she constantly gets them through work. Off the top of my head, I don't know if I happen to have any episodes of SPN in my "stash," but there are definitely a lot of episodes from CW shows in there.

A lot of those supposed nomination submissions are hopeless in terms of how likely the actor (or show, or whatever) is to actually get nominated for an Emmy. For example, I have some "for your consideration" DVDs of Gossip Girl episodes, which were submitted on Chace Crawford's behalf, supposedly so that he would be considered for an Emmy nomination. If you've seen Gossip Girl or Chace Crawford, you know that he would never ever actually get a nomination. (I was a big fan of Gossip Girl at the time, and a lot of people on the TWoP Gossip Girl forum found the idea of Crawford getting a nod hilarious and joked around about it, which is why I remember all this now).

Anyway, what I think actually happens is that an actor's representation, his agent or manager or whoever, will submit an episode or a few episodes on his client's behalf, not so much in order to get his client an actual nomination, but to get a sample of the client's work sent out to a ton of people (the whole academy, which is gigantic) in a relatively inexpensive, efficient way. I think it's basically just a way of plastering the town with the actor's resume/reel. In reality, imo, the actor/his representation isn't hoping that he'll be considered for an award, they're hoping that he'll be considered for parts/jobs.

I think that's why actors who would like to get tapped for more work, like Dylan Everett and Felicia Day, have stuff submitted. The exposure might be helpful to their careers. And actors who already have packed schedules and aren't looking for more work, like JA and JP, don't have anything submitted.