Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Unconscious

As someone that has been predicting Norman would kill Bradley since season 1, I just want to say: CALLED IT.

Those last five minutes were absolutely chilling. Nice touch as showing Norma doing the killing. I already can't wait for next season, but I have a feeling the end is nigh...

• Love 3

Mick Lady called the end scene. Nice job! I was distracted at the end of the Bob & Romero boat scene but my DVR is set to record at 10:00.

Loved the Dilemma kiss and yay! Emma agreed to get the lung transplant.

I'm sad this season is over. Was it just me or did this episode overdo it on the commercials?

• Love 2
(edited)

That was a terrific episode and yet, in the end, it may be one that turned me off of watching the show.  That was always the problem, that we all knew at some point that Norman would become this monster.  However the killing of this lonely teenage girl was chilling.  It was sickening and ultimately I am left with the feeling of can I hang on to a show with such well done characters and such strong acting when the protagonist is so repulsive.  I can recall few things as disturbing on tv as the death of Bradley, who when it comes down to it was a sweet, kind girl whose one violent act was killing the person who was responsible for the murder of her Father. 

I am left at a point where the desire is for Norman to be caught or killed while knowing he will live free, and killing, for decades.  Yet again this is what I knew would be coming and the story tonight made sense.  However sometimes just because it makes sense doesn't mean I want to invest time in something that leaves me so repulsed and horrified that I feel unwell.

Edited by dohe
  • Love 8
(edited)

Very nice finale.  I liked the choice of having "Mother" as in Vera Farmiga being the one to kill Bradley.   And Norman being horrified at it but then covering it up.  "Mother  what have you done?"  

Mission statement alert #1:  "Maybe fate wins here.  Maybe we're all doomed in the end."

Mission statement alert #2:  ""I guess none of us can change who we are."

Oh yeah and Emma don't look a gift lung in the mouth.  PS if you die we revolt!  ¡Viva la Revolución!  Dylan and Emma 4eva!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

As someone that has been predicting Norman would kill Bradley since season 1, I just want to say: CALLED IT.

I called it too! Not in season one, but it was obvious when Bradley returned that she would be toast because she was already officially dead, so it was an easy one to get away with.

• Love 3

Thought the Dylan/Emma kiss was very sweet.  I totally understood why she might not want the transplant.  You're taking such a huge gamble, and if your body rejects the new lungs, it's likely a death sentence. 

Norma panicking and hitting Norman over the head (and then dragging his body to the basement) was hilarious.  I mean, that would be disturbing in real life, but this family is so fucked up.  Poor Dylan needs to get out while he still can.  I thought that something very bad was going to happen to him when he went down in that basement looking for Norman.  Phew, glad he's OK.

What was the point of the pit if nobody ended up buried in it?  It even had an episode named after it and everything!  Hope that this show is renewed.  I look forward to next season.

• Love 3

Thought the Dylan/Emma kiss was very sweet.  I totally understood why she might not want the transplant.  You're taking such a huge gamble, and if your body rejects the new lungs, it's likely a death sentence. 

Norma panicking and hitting Norman over the head (and then dragging his body to the basement) was hilarious.  I mean, that would be disturbing in real life, but this family is so fucked up.  Poor Dylan needs to get out while he still can.  I thought that something very bad was going to happen to him when he went down in that basement looking for Norman.  Phew, glad he's OK.

What was the point of the pit if nobody ended up buried in it?  It even had an episode named after it and everything!  Hope that this show is renewed.  I look forward to next season.

Yes, where was the pit tonight? How disappointing nobody ended up in that. Or do we know what Romero did with Bob's body?
  • Love 1

Well technically its wasn't Norman it was Mother.....but semantics aside I think everyone called it.  

• Love 7

While Emma voiced her fears over the transplant, I think it was deeper than a fear of death.  I think it was a fear of living.  Emma once told Norma the expectations of how long she would live.  She has accepted this for years.  Now she is being confronted with the possibility of a life that is not so knowable.  Her expectations of the length of her life and the way she has measured that life before her are upended and it is scary.  Dylan represents that new possibility to her.  That is why the kiss acts as a metaphor for her rebirth. 

• Love 5

DylEmma kissed! Now they are the two that need to pack their bags and leave that town before they get murdered. This is the only show where I am on the edge of my seat worrying about who's going to die next and not be as upset it. Since this is a show about a budding serial killer. I don't want it to be Dylan or Emma but I'm expecting it to prepare myself. 

Norman's finally gone full Psycho, no one can deny Norman's a killer, we saw him do the deed. Whether it's his first kill (after his father) is still up in the air. xx

I agree, it's not dying Emma's afraid of, she's expected to die her whole life. It's living that's scary. Dylan is giving her a reason to keep living. So DON'T KILL EMMA, SHOW! Someone needs some happiness in that crazy fucked up Bates family. 

I guess the pit was really just a bit. It was a good fake out making us wonder who would be buried in it. Which I suppose someone still could next season. Romero needs to get rid of Bob's body and why not bury the asshole there, he dug his own grave already. 

• Love 3

I laughed rather hard at Bob heeding Romero's 'warning.' You should have just gotten arrested. Whoops. 

Great way to shoot the Mother/Norman scene. I guess Norman thought he was actually talking to Norma outside the office last episode? Because he said that "we talked about this" before she fell down the stairs. What a great whomp on the head too.

I thought Dylan was going to get attacked in the basement. He's so droll. "Well, she's actually not dead, but Norman does see shit that's not there!"

It makes more sense for me if Norman kills once more, and then Norma to end the series. I don't think the show is as suspenseful if he kills 2 or 3 more people. 

• Love 5

DylEmma kissed! Now they are the two that need to pack their bags and leave that town before they get murdered. This is the only show where I am on the edge of my seat worrying about who's going to die next and not be as upset it. Since this is a show about a budding serial killer. I don't want it to be Dylan or Emma but I'm expecting it to prepare myself. 

Norman's finally gone full Psycho, no one can deny Norman's a killer, we saw him do the deed. Whether it's his first kill (after his father) is still up in the air. xx

I agree, it's not dying Emma's afraid of, she's expected to die her whole life. It's living that's scary. Dylan is giving her a reason to keep living. So DON'T KILL EMMA, SHOW! Someone needs some happiness in that crazy fucked up Bates family. 

I guess the pit was really just a bit. It was a good fake out making us wonder who would be buried in it. Which I suppose someone still could next season. Romero needs to get rid of Bob's body and why not bury the asshole there, he dug his own grave already. 

LOL what? People still are not hung up on Norman not killing Miss Watson are they?

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, I'm really surprised that no one went into "The Pit" (cue Mouse Rat!)  I guess it's possible Romero will dump Bob in there, but I can easily see that being saved for something else.  Or maybe nothing will happen with it.  Now that would be a twist!

Totally figured Bradley's main purpose for coming back was to die, so that didn't surprise me.  But I did love how they shot it by having "Mother" actually do the killing, and Norman was only show before and after it.  Great touch.  And, then the way he casually got rid of the body, and we we Norman/Mother together again.  Yep, Norman's full-blown psycho now.  I now fear for everyone who is in his reach.  It doesn't take much to piss Mother off, I suspect.

Damn, Romero goes above and beyond the "double-tapping" method.  Nope, he practically empty that entire clip in Bob just to make sure he didn't come back!  And, yes, I do agree with Bob that isn't wasn't about the victims: he really is all about protecting Norma.  That's touching in a very, very disturbing way.  And, yet, I totally dig it.

What is not disturbing is Dylan and Emma!  I honestly don't go too crazy for couples, but I really love them.  Dylan's line about how she is the least ridiculous person he knows was sweet, hilarious, and pretty much the truth when it comes to him.  I figured he would convince Emma to get the transplant, but I can understand her hesitation and fears at first.  Of course, I guess there is always the chance the operation will go south, but I think she'll pull through.  Not because I think she'll get a happy ending, but if they are going to kill her off, it's going to be in a much, much worse way.  But I'm still pulling for both of them, even though I know I shouldn't.

So, I guess Caleb is gone for good?  Weird exit, I guess.

Overall, I really enjoyed the season.  If I had one complaint, it was I hope they move past Dylan and the drug story-lines, because I like him better when he interacts with the rest of the leads.  Maybe these events will lead to him hanging around the motel more in order to keep an eye on Norman.  Then again, there will always be a part of me that just wants him to go to Portland, and he and Emma stay the hell away from White Pine Bay, and live a happy life.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

I hope that this show is renewed.  I look forward to next season.

According to Kerry Ehrin (exec producer and writer on the show), the writers start working on season 4 next month, so it sounds like the renewal is just a matter of being officially announced? Not sure why A&E is being so quiet though. 

I was TERRIFIED for Dylan when he went down to the basement. I just wanted him to get out of there.I'm officially joining the "Please Let Dylan and Emma Escape Together" club. We all know how this will all eventually end, but I need someone to have at least somewhat of a happy ending for my own sanity.However, I did like that they didn't treat Emma getting the lung transplant as a 'this will make everything better!' type of thing. It's still a very risky thing, and her fear was totally understandable both in terms of the literal medical risks (her body rejecting the lung) and also realizing that she's gonna have to potentially live for a long time after preparing to die at a young age.

Norma knocking Norman out was hilariously fucked up. Also that conversation Norma and Norman had while he was packing sounded like a break up: "We've been horrible for each other. I love you, but I don't think we're good together, we're not healthy for each other. It would be for the best that we separate." Yikes!

I kind of laughed at Dylan literally saying, "uh...Bradley isn't dead..." Speaking of which, her (actual) death was brutal. It was pretty cool creatively how they switched between Vera and Freddie for that scene, but seeing Bradley trying to crawl away from Mother/Norman was really hard to watch. Also Mother popping up to call Bradley a mess after Norman pushed the car into the water was awful, but in a good way? I don't know how to describe it, but Vera is amaaaazing with her delivery. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Those last five minutes were absolutely chilling. Nice touch as showing Norma doing the killing. I already can't wait for next season, but I have a feeling the end is nigh...

Not to worry.  TPTB say they have it set up to run 5 seasons so we still have 2 more full seasons to go.  Plenty more bodies to stack up and a handy, unused hole to do it in next season.  Norman's only killed his father, his teacher and Bradley so far.  He's just warming up.

Ah, Romero, thought you were smart to walk away from crazy lady.  But no.  Now you are back killing for her.  Not gonna end well for you.  But you do what you do with such style.  Norman/Mother should take lessons from you. 

With Bob killed by the docks he presumably got dumped in the harbor.  Then Bradley and her car (and drug money and the jewelry too) ended up there too.  The first killed guy got dumped there in Season 1 as I recall.  They are gonna have to dredge that harbor soon cause it is silting up with bodies.

Edited by green

It would be appropriate for Bob to end up in that pit since it was his little gift to Norma.

With Caleb showing up in the "Previously on Bates Motel" intro, I thought that he would actually be present in this episode.  I imagine that Chick will be after him next season.

Loved that Dylan called Emma a "freaking warrior."  She's probably the best person that he's ever known.

Cracked up at Norman telling his mother that they're horrible and he doesn't think that they're healthy.  You don't say?

• Love 4

Dylan's line about how she is the least ridiculous person he knows was sweet, hilarious, and pretty much the truth when it comes to him.

When he said that I thought to myself that the bar is not set very high when your mother is Norma Bates and your brother is Norman Bates.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Poor Bradley. She was annoying but that was sad, poor girl didn't know where she was getting herself into. Showing Norma killing her was a great touch.

Edited by natyxg
Also that conversation Norma and Norman had while he was packing sounded like a break up: "We've been horrible for each other. I love you, but I don't think we're good together, we're not healthy for each other. It would be for the best that we separate." Yikes!

And when Mother asks Norman if he promises never to tell anyone about Bradley, he answers in a very solemn way "I do", sort of like a wedding. It was creepy.

I don't know how Norman is going to be able to keep a relationship with real Norma when she is so different from Head!Norma. I mean, he thinks she has killed two people now. Plus, the discrepancies between what real Norma knows and has actually happened and the things that just happen in Norman's head are going to keep piling up. Hell, he will probably start liking Head!Norma more now that real Norma has opened her eyes and is even afraid of him.

Norman's only killed his father, his teacher and Bradley so far.  He's just warming up.

Didn't he throw theater girl's dad down some stairs and killed him too? That was in self defense IIRC, but it counts, lol.

• Love 3

I think that they will have to backtrack on Norman next year as they are moving fast on his progression. For me the most sad moment was the look on Norma's face when the treatment program told her how much it cost. You can see how someone wouldn't get Norman help.  It might really be the best thing for Norman if she turned him in for his dad's death.

Dylan and Emma... ahhh. Love them. You could see the wheels turning in Dylan's head about never even considering that she wouldn't get the lung transplant and his need to talk her into it. "Your a freaking warrior" would have sounded cheesy coming from anyone else.  And he is so right.

I agree if I have ONE thing this show needs to do -- stop it with the seedy underbelly of White Pine Bay. Have Dylan get a real job or work at the motel. Given the DEA sweep and death of Bob Paris, I think we have a chance for one year without a sex club etc. If you need a reason for Romero to be around Norma have her get a job on the town counsel or something.

• Love 2

Why has Norma started wearing women's clothing designed to look like men's clothing? I'd been noticing the masculine pants lately because they are so different from her previous style with the dresses, and the suit and tie she wore to visit the mental health facility seemed an odd choice.  Is it to help the viewers better differentiate Real Norma from "Norma"?  Is she an Annie Lenox fan?

When they showed "Norma" pulling Bradley out of the car, I honestly thought for a second that Norman had changed into a dress and wig that he had packed for the trip. Took me out of the seriousness of the moment a little, but once I realized what was going on I thought it was a good choice.

Boy, money sure talks when you're waiting for human organs.  What did it take, about 5 minute for lungs to become available once Emma's dad was able to make the big donation?  So sad, but for Emma I'm glad.  I'm rooting for her and Dylan so hard!

Normally, I wouldn't find a man committing murder for a woman sexy, but something about the way Romero takes down bad guys in a hot second to protect himself and Norma is a little yummy.  Kiss the man, Norma!

I can't decide if I'm glad or not that we don't know how old Norma will be when Norman kills her.  I feel like the show could continue without her, but I don't want it to, so I'm hopeful her death is the series finale.  In the movie, Norman wasn't very old when Mother was all shriveled and mummified in the house...mid-20's-ish, or so.  Poor thing ...she tries so hard!  :(

• Love 6
(edited)

Norma knocking Norman out was hilariously fucked up. Also that conversation Norma and Norman had while he was packing sounded like a break up: "We've been horrible for each other. I love you, but I don't think we're good together, we're not healthy for each other. It would be for the best that we separate." Yikes!

It totally did sound like one. I honestly thought the sentence was going to go 'It would be better if we separate [and see other people]'. I also half expected for vision!Norma to ask Norman if he really thinks that he can just break up with her. 

I agree too about the "I do" feeling and sounding like a wedding "I do". Norman is now fully committed to being with Norma and they're never going to be separated. Scary and sad. It almost seemed like vision!Norma and Norman were going to kiss.

Why has Norma started wearing women's clothing designed to look like men's clothing? I'd been noticing the masculine pants lately because they are so different from her previous style with the dresses, and the suit and tie she wore to visit the mental health facility seemed an odd choice.  Is it to help the viewers better differentiate Real Norma from "Norma"?  Is she an Annie Lenox fan?

When they showed "Norma" pulling Bradley out of the car, I honestly thought for a second that Norman had changed into a dress and wig that he had packed for the trip. Took me out of the seriousness of the moment a little, but once I realized what was going on I thought it was a good choice.

Boy, money sure talks when you're waiting for human organs.  What did it take, about 5 minute for lungs to become available once Emma's dad was able to make the big donation?  So sad, but for Emma I'm glad.  I'm rooting for her and Dylan so hard!

Normally, I wouldn't find a man committing murder for a woman sexy, but something about the way Romero takes down bad guys in a hot second to protect himself and Norma is a little yummy.  Kiss the man, Norma!

I know, right? I don't know what's wrong with me that I'm not turned off at the way the character is so quick to turn to violence in order to solve problems. I guess I can afford to be shallow like that when it's fictional. ;-)

I kind of laughed at Dylan literally saying, "uh...Bradley isn't dead..." Speaking of which, her (actual) death was brutal. It was pretty cool creatively how they switched between Vera and Freddie for that scene, but seeing Bradley trying to crawl away from Mother/Norman was really hard to watch. Also Mother popping up to call Bradley a mess after Norman pushed the car into the water was awful, but in a good way? I don't know how to describe it, but Vera is amaaaazing with her delivery. 

This made me laugh too. It's like, well, this is kind of good news because at least Norman isn't hallucinating dead people? You know shit is bad when they're essentially thankful for something like that.

I don't understand why Norman wants to cover for "mother" if he's horrified by the murders. I feel like some part of him has to know what he's doing otherwise why would he try to cover up what "mother" has done? Some part of him deep down knows that if he doesn't cover up Bradley's murder that he's going to end up in jail. He hasn't expressed a fear of Norma being put away so IMO he's concerned about himself even if he isn't totally conscious of it. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3
(edited)

Wow.  Bradley was annoying but she did not did not deserve that.  That was truly disturbing.  I had to turn away.  It's so sad because she trusted him and even seemed willing to accept the fact that "something was wrong" with him.  I guess that was her undoing.

And my Romero hate is fully cemented now.  I didn't get the sense that he killed Bob strictly for Norma (even if so, my UO: completely not cool).  I got the distinct sense his over-the-top shooting of Bob was in response to Bob's taunting him about being like his father.  Protecting Norma is just the excuse.  Romero is a dick with daddy issues who abuses his power.  And that's sort of an understatement.  I don't need my lawmen to be like Andy Griffith, but I don't want them to be cold-blooded thugs, either.  I hope Romero ends up facing justice in the form of Mother.

I honestly thought that Norman and Mother were going to kiss.  And yes, that "I do" had the feeling of a vow.  It was interesting to me, that the series could have ended on this episode.  Mother is fully realized; Norma is doomed; Dylan and Emma are poised on the edge of a happy ending. 

As for Dylan, he's long been my TV boyfriend, but now I might have to make him my TV husband.  "You're hitting on me?"  "Well, if you have to ask, I'm doing it wrong."  And of course the warrior line.  Loved the whole scene!  I will be really upset if anything happens to either of them, but I do fear that's where we're headed.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2

Well that certainly made me feel a certain way.  Norman/Norma killing Bradley - though we saw it coming from a mile away - was horrible.  It made me so sad for her to have this boy snap and kill her for no reason and how alone she must have felt knowing that nobody will even miss her.  She really did like and respect him, so you can add betrayal to the list.  More on this later.

Emma sure got lungs fast.  It's good that the drug/gun money did some good for a change.  I felt her fear - of death and of life.  I hope she comes through it and how wonderful for her to "get the guy".  Dylan seems to see her for what she is - awesome.

It was also sad to see Norma take the bull by the horns and try commit/help Norman.  It was so loving and motherly that she picked this gorgeous, amazing place for him and heartbreaking because she was WAY out of her financial league.  I understand her feeling like she has no choices.  She realizes the extent of Norman's sickness now - including the "breakup" language he used to discuss their relationship - but what can she do about him at this point other than send him to jail? 

The only funny moment for me was during the Norma/Romero scene.  It was beautiful and both actors sold the hell out it.  Particularly Nestor when Norma said that if Norman went to jail it would surely kill her.  I looked in his eyes and said aloud to the tv - "And with that, Bob is a dead man."  Cue the next scene when Bob did indeed meet his end for that very reason.

I love the intelligence of this show.  The actors are top rate.  But I have to admit that I am finding it harder and harder to watch Norman.  I know many will disagree but I have always believed that most killers - regardless of any illness that is manifesting and the extent of it - to a degree enjoy the act killing.  They get something pleasurable out of it.  I say this because I watch the Norman/HeadNorma scenes very carefully and I have pretty much come to the conclusion that HeadNorma resembles RealNorma in looks only.  Her mannerisms AND her worldview are not in line with RealNorma.  She is a complete and independent construct of Norman - not Norman imagining what his mother would say or do.  Rather this is Norman making his Mother do what HE would do.  Scratch that, she is JUST like RealNorma in that her primary value to Norman is that she covers for him.  Blackouts/fugue states/insanity notwithstanding Norman kills because Norman is a killer - it is his head that decides that these people need to die for the flimsiest of reasons.  There is no coercion or logic or sense of danger.  He simply makes up an excuse, acts on it, and blames his mother for it.  Norman is a monster.  I think what strains me the most about this show is not just knowing that Norma will ultimately die and most likely others but that we, the viewer, because this is a prequel of a story that we are familiar with, will never get the satisfaction of seeing this monster put down.  That is is what should happen to Norman and that is the one thing that does NOT happen.

• Love 3

Totally figured Bradley's main purpose for coming back was to die, so that didn't surprise me. But I did love how they shot it by having "Mother" actually do the killing, and Norman was only show before and after it. Great touch. And, then the way he casually got rid of the body, and we we Norman/Mother together again. Yep, Norman's full-blown psycho now. I now fear for everyone who is in his reach. It doesn't take much to piss Mother off, I suspect.

Yeah, Bradley was doomed from the start. She lucked out season 1/early season 2, but then she had to come back and visit Norman. With an old car that was just begging to be pushed into the water like in the movie. I just kinda wish the car would've stopped sinking for a few seconds so we'd have that callback, too, but alas. I didn't particularly care for the song at the end--didn't feel it was necessary and it took me out of the moment a bit. Also, knew they would show "Mother" doing the killing, but I would have liked a POV thrown in there from Bradley of Norman doing it. Because her murder wasn't sad enough, apparently. Norman, you can't have nice things...or friends.

Poor Bradley. I didn't particularly care for you before, but I liked you these past couple episodes. Still, at least you didn't get the pit! Bob really needs to be buried there. Seriously, don't taunt a guy with a gun and multiple body disposal options!

Could you imagine Bob and Romero sailing off together? LOL. Yeah, Bob was getting desperate.

Good finale. Now we have to wait...ahhhhh!

(edited)

Norman/Norma killing Bradley - though we saw it coming from a mile away - was horrible.  It made me so sad for her to have this boy snap and kill her for no reason and how alone she must have felt knowing that nobody will even miss her.  She really did like and respect him, so you can add betrayal to the list.  More on this later.

She really did.  She always liked him and the scene where she ran outside to make sure he was still her friend was a moving one. 

I am thoroughly perplexed when I read posts saying Bradley was annoying.  It seems as if it is that all teen girls are annoying (unless they are the timid sufferer or the snarky girl with no issues) default so common to tv forums than anything else. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

Overall, I really enjoyed the season. If I had one complaint, it was I hope they move past Dylan and the drug story-lines, because I like him better when he interacts with the rest of the leads. Maybe these events will lead to him hanging around the motel more in order to keep an eye on Norman. Then again, there will always be a part of me that just wants him to go to Portland, and he and Emma stay the hell away from White Pine Bay, and live a happy life.

This was probably my favorite season overall. I agree about Dylan. He had more interaction with the leads this season versus last, and I hope it continues. Part of me is afraid that Norma will get him involved in something dangerous trying to get money for Norman, especially if she finds out about what he did for Emma.

I'm curious where they go with Norman next. Norma's ready to commit him. Whether they end up thinking Bradley was real or not, Norma and Dylan know he needs help. Yet, he's obviously not going to get it. I have theories, but they all make me sad. The truest line was that they are all doomed.

• Love 4

There's something very wild west about White Pine Bay and Romero is the kind of lawman that's required for a corrupt environment like that.  I think that interpretation is what allows me to get past his violence.  So far he hasn't attacked any innocents and so I can still see good in him despite his aggressive casual use of violence to solve problems.  Norma is surrounded by monsters in White Pine Bay and Romero's the monster who makes her feel some sense of safety.  I think they are both messed up and would be too much for others to handle which is why they are drawn to each other.  Although there are times this quote comes to mind when Norma and Romero interact: "You were meant for me, perhaps as a punishment." 

Norma finally gets that Norman needs serious help, but it's too late because Norman has reached the point of no return where he has embraced delusions as his reality.   I did appreciate the show pointing out how finances can be a factor in a person getting the best mental health care.   The money issue is how the writers will delay Norman getting help allowing the show to continue for another couple of seasons.  It almost seems too soon for Norman to be this far gone.   Will Norman's further binding himself to the Mother delusion somehow make him able to pretend to be well enough to fool Dylan and Norma into thinking they have more time to save him?

I feel like Dylan's been trying hard to resist his feelings for Emma for Norman's sake while at the same time not being able to help being drawn to her.  I figured he'd never make a move on Emma, and she'd have to be the one to make the first move to romance.   It was lovely that their first kiss was basically both of them going for it at the same time.   Normally, I'd be against a brother dating his brother's ex but I can't help rooting for Dylan/Emma.   They are such good people, and Norman never cared for Emma like she cared for him which she finally realized.   Dylan genuinely sees her and wants her.

• Love 3

She really did.  She always liked him and the scene where she ran outside to make sure he was still her friend was a moving one. 

I am thoroughly perplexed when I read posts saying Bradley was annoying.  It seems as if it is that all teen girls are annoying (unless they are the timid sufferer or the snarky girl with no issues) default so common to tv forums than anything else. 

Yeah.  I never had any problems with Bradley, other than thinking it was not a good idea to lead on the Psycho™.  I found her to be pretty 3 dimensional and though she sometimes did unwise things, she never acted out of true malice.

This episode just flew by for me--I wanted it to keep going. I think we all knew Bradley was a dead girl walking, but it was, indeed, the transition from Norman to Mother!Norma! that made it a shock. It totally worked.

I really, truly hope they don't wind up killing Emma. I don't have much hope for the rest of the characters, Dylan included, but I want Emma to live!!

• Love 1
(edited)
I got the distinct sense his over-the-top shooting of Bob was in response to Bob's taunting him about being like his father.

Yeah when I watched that scene,  I thought, "okay note to everyone, do not go for the Daddy jugular, it really sets Alex off." Sure Romero going around so casually killing people isn't exactly admirable, especially when part of it was because of Norma saying she would die if Norman was taken from her. That being said, all the people we've seen Romero kill on this show were awful so I kind of don't judge him too hard for his actions.

He murdered the creepy guy who was part of the human sex slave trade, who showed up threatening to kill Norma and Norman and Dylan because he was sure Norma knew about some money, she didn't. Last season he killed some of the drug trade guys while they were having some war between the two sides and this season he killed the cocky guy wanting his job who essentially threatened him first and then Bob who we pretty much got confirmation, had Anika and the other dead girl, murdered. Sure, he could do things the "legal" way and try to arrest these people but again, can't say their lives were any great loss, so whatever. 

Norman is a monster.

Well of course he is. I can't imagine anyone thinks differently on that. He's without question a very dangerous, psychopathic killer. That being said, the show, I feel, has been doing a great job of not so much excusing his behavior but trying to explain it and show how he became the monster he did. I'm sure there are those who disagree but there is the age old belief that no one comes into this world evil. There usually is some process, some path and this is Norman's. It's not an excuse, it doesn't make it right and no, Norma is not responsible for his actions just because she covered for him for a long time and hid the blackouts and didn't try to get him help.

But that being said, he clearly wasn't always a monster in my opinion and there was a process to his madness. He is sick - again, not an excuse for his actions but there is clearly something neurologically wrong with Norman irrespective of the murders because normal, healthy people don't have complete blackouts where they can't remember anything. Added to that, I'm sorry but Norma did help foster a very unhealthy and somewhat unnatural co-dependent relationship between herself and Norman. All of this is not an excuse per se but to me an explanation and understanding of who and what Norman becomes. I guess what I'm saying is my unpopular opinion is I don't think it is as simple as "Norman is a monster and evil" period, like that's all he was from the beginning. But rather, that the show has done a great job of showing this to be if anything a very tragic story. 

I am thoroughly perplexed when I read posts saying Bradley was annoying.  It seems as if it is that all teen girls are annoying (unless they are the timid sufferer or the snarky girl with no issues) default so common to tv forums than anything else.

I liked Bradley when she and Norman first became friends. I thought she seemed like a nice enough girl who was just being nice to this new and slightly awkward kid and you could tell she genuinely appreciated him and their friendship. That was until the writers randomly made her all emo over her Dad's death. Sure she was upset when he died, which led to the sex with Norman she regretted but the writers seemed to ramp it up later in the season, largely to put her in Dylan's orbit and started having her make constant sex eyes at Dylan that was just annoying and creepy in my opinion.

Then she tries to kill herself because she finds out her Dad had an affair which is like, really, your Dad was into drugs and this is the worse thing you've found out about him? She tries to kill herself, ends up in some mental hospital and completely blows off Norman who wrote to her the whole time out of concern because she was more concerned with wanting Dylan. Then she goes and kills some drug lord and runs to Norman to help her instead.

Basically I just felt like the writers kind of made Bradley into a mess and completely changed gears on her character and then had no clue where to go with her and so she left. And then they had her conveniently pop back up this season so Norman could have his first full on camera Mother kill. Also, not the actress' fault but her voice is very annoying. I swear Bradley sounded stoned in every single scene - that nasally, slow drawl was frustrating. 

Finally, this was a really good finale and the final shot was amazing in my opinion. I get what some are saying about it being hard to watch but yeah, you watch a show based on the premise of a prequel of Psycho and you kind of know where it's going to go. I definitely understand and even somewhat agree about the full scale violence from Norman being ramped up a bit quickly, as we're only in Season 3. But if the writers are working by a set timeline of how long the show will last, I guess it makes sense. It does make me wonder where they will go in the next season as Norman is pretty much full blown Psycho at this point. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

There's something very wild west about White Pine Bay and Romero is the kind of lawman that's required for a corrupt environment like that.

I still couldn't help but wonder if Romero calling from his cell phone to Bob's house won't come back to bite him in the arse later since it's the DEA and not just local (corrupt-ish) law involved. You would think they'd wonder if he'd been tipped off and that lady was already side-eyeing Romero because of the flash drive info.

This show has gone far in three seasons. At this rate, Norman could easily kill Norma end of next season with just "Mother" around for the final season.

• Love 2

There's still a few that think it's possible Norman didn't kill Watson. Or that there is at least some doubt. It's been explained thoroughly. 

Norman is a monster.

Well of course he is. I can't imagine anyone thinks differently on that. He's without question a very dangerous, psychopathic killer. That being said, the show I feel has been doing a great job of not so much excusing his behavior but trying to explain it and show how he became the monster he did.

Othello can't get over his own jealousy and his jerk of a friend and kills his own wife. Everyone knows this, but still watches the play. That's the point of classical tragedy. You know how it ends. That's not what the show is about. Over these three seasons, there's been plenty of opportunities for Norman that might not have led down this path, and it's usually due to Norma. Look at the first season alone. Norman was treated fine by everyone at school, and even was going to run track. Norma pulled him out. And so on.  

• Love 4

The pit is this show's Smoke Monster. If Previously has their own version of TWOP's Tubeys, The Pit would be nominated for sure! Granted, it would be more convenient for Romero to just take Bob out on his boat and dump him in the ocean (or bay, I suppose it is, since it's White Pine Bay). Or even say to the DEA that when Bob wasn't at his house, he remembered about Bob's fishing boat and thus caught hin trying to escape and killed him to save the day. Yet, there's still a chance that in the season premiere we'll see Romero throwing the last shovelful of dirt back into the pit--bye-bye, Bob!

That ending with Mother killing Bradley was everything. It was so powerful being in Norman's mind that way seeing what he's seeing rather than just from the outside seeing Norman killing Bradley while pretending to be Mother. It's such a great progression from the Blair Watson murder of Norma just being there telling Norman to kill her while it was happening but then during the lie detector test Mother stepping into Norman to admit that she did it, and then Norman was able to pass the test. Yet, then he was still able to separate out Mother and himself so he still thinks that he did it after the fact. Yet now he cannot decipher Norma from Mother--the conversations with Mother are "real" to him, as is Mother murdering Bradley to keep them together always. God, this show is brilliant!

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked Bradley when she and Norman first became friends. I thought she seemed like a nice enough girl who was just being nice to this new and slightly awkward kid and you could tell she genuinely appreciated him and their friendship. That was until the writers randomly made her all emo over her Dad's death. Sure she was upset when he died, which led to the sex with Norman she regretted but the writers seemed to ramp it up later in the season, largely to put her in Dylan's orbit and started having her make constant sex eyes at Dylan that was just annoying and creepy in my opinion.

Then she tries to kill herself because she finds out her Dad had an affair which is like, really, your Dad was into drugs and this is the worse thing you've found out about him? She tries to kill herself, ends up in some mental hospital and completely blows off Norman who wrote to her the whole time out of concern because she was more concerned with wanting Dylan. Then she goes and kills some drug lord and runs to Norman to help her instead.

Basically I just felt like the writers kind of made Bradley into a mess and completely changed gears on her character and then had no clue where to go with her and so she left. And then they had her conveniently pop back up this season so Norman could have his first full on camera Mother kill. Also, not the actress' fault but her voice is very annoying. I swear Bradley sounded stoned in every single scene - that nasally, slow drawl was frustrating.

A parent dying is not some minor incident in anyone's life let alone a teen's life. Bradley's behavior was very understandable both in the blurring of lines between friendship/sex that happened with Norman and the fall out of them having sex.  It is not unusual for people who have been through a traumatic situation to connect sexually with people in a way that is far more based in loneliness, despair, and pain than it is in being sexually attracted to someone else.  Bradley and Norman came at it from different mindsets.  Bradley saw Norman as a sweet, kind best friend and someone who was there for her when she was going through a great deal of pain.  Norman saw it as true love.  When Bradley realized her mistake, she did not know how to confront it.  When Norman confronted her, Bradley ran to Norman, after admitting she did not desire him for a boyfriend, and did recognize his feelings.  She showed how deeply she felt about Norman even if it wasn't in the same way.  However that did cause a disruption in their relationship.  Norman clearly was still in love with Bradley and could not let that go.  Bradley was aware of that and it is an uncomfortable position for a person to be in - when a person you see as a best friend wants more and you just don't.  What she wanted is a return to the friendship without the sexual aspect but she could rightfully sense that is not what Norman wanted. 

With Dylan, Bradley did feel a sexual attraction.  Bradley is not annoying for finding Dylan attractive just as Emma is not.  She and Dylan were aware of how difficult this was.  However Bradley is a human.  She never tried to hurt Norman.  She just happened not to see him that way - a way she did see Dylan as being sexually attractive*.  When she came back, alone, lost, and without anyone she could trust, in the most vulnerable position possible, she tried to have sex with Norman, as if that could recapture the friendship with Norman - a reversal in a way of what had once occurred when sex damaged their relationship - and help her connect to the world.  However to see that as exploitative is to not see the misery she was in. 

I think way too many times we allow teenage males on the shows these outs and yet hold teenage girls to ridiculous standards and, even worse, obligations to male characters - as if we can only see it through the boy's eyes and not the girl's.

Also regarding Norman being a monster, well he is a monster.  He is a scary, terrifying monster.  I agree the show has done a terrific job and my original post says the episode was terrific.  I think what happened last night made sense in the context of the show.  However just because something is well done and has many strong attributes, does not mean I would necessarily still want to watch it.  I felt ill after the show.  So while I hope Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga get nominated for Emmys and I think the show will be in my best 10 of the year, I may have to take a pass on it.  It is in now way a disparagement of a very good show. 

*Dylan is very attractive.  His personality is very soothing and there is a sense of him putting others first.  It is not hard to see why Bradley and later Emma would not see him as sexually attractive in temperament alone. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 2

This has always been one of those shows that is very good (acting, writing, story, suspense) but for me it was also missing something that would have made it must see TV. After, this season and this episode specifically I realized that what I was missing was, hope. 

Part of the problem with any show that is heading toward a certain endpoint is you might not know the mile markers but you know the destination. We know where almost all of these characters are going.  Dylan and Emma have always been the two that could live, that could escape from all this - alive. But the plots they were involved in didn't point to a happy ending. Dylan always walked a razors edge of courting death in order to win Norma's love and to try to become a member of a family instead of a planet orbiting the Norma and Norman sun and Emma's life was always at risk because of her CF.  As this season has progressed those two have found a bit of sanity and hope with each other and I didn't realize how very much I needed that in order for the show to really grow. When Dylan walked into the basement last night to check on Norman I instantly became nervous and concerned for him (yelling at the TV, "you do not go into basements in horror movies what's wrong with you? Run!") that the show engaged me in a way it hadn't before.

The stakes are higher now because I don't know when or if something bad will happen. I needed the Dylemma story in a way I wasn't even aware of. I need the hope of, if not a happy ending, then escape and life.  So I'm really happy that show went in this direction. A little light to balance the never ending darkness around Norma and Norman.

Bradley's death was beautifully shot with the headlights in the back ground silhouetting her murder. It was much more, I want to say graphic, not seeing everything in detail and letting my mind fill in the blanks.

One of things this show really excels at is that none of the characters are comically evil. Everyone, except Emma, is a shade of gray and walking around making mistakes but overall doing them for what they believe to be the right reasons. The scene with Romero and Norma in front of the hotel where Norma is trying to deal with the fact that she can't afford to help Norman had one of my favorite lines from last night, "Maybe fate wins here. We are all doomed in the end."  This season has really made a point of showing Norma as someone who loves Norman beyond reason but probably in the only way that she knows how. Caleb said that they only had each other and because of that they made each other their world. For Caleb that meant that he sexualized his feelings for Norma and for Norma she learned that love is insulated all consuming tiny world that must be protected at all cost.

The only complaint I have about the finale is that I felt we needed one more scene with Emma. It felt a little unbalanced with her story. Maybe a scene of her in the car with her father on the way to the hospital.

Also, the actors that play Norma and Romero are adorable on twitter and tease each other back and forth about Nomero. I just started following them and found them to be very entertaining during the show.

Looking forward to next season.

• Love 4
I think way too many times we allow teenage males on the shows these outs and yet hold teenage girls to ridiculous standards and, even worse, obligations to male characters - as if we can only see it through the boy's eyes and not the girl's.

Maybe, but that's not the case in this instance, at least not for me. I actually love and root for a huge number of fictional teenage females (which, given how many years past my own adolescence I am is probably kind of sad, but that's for another thread!) I personally dislike Bradley because I can't stand her perpetually stoned, slurring, bizarrely delivered lines, the way that I feel her personality has always ranged from being all over the place to completely nonexistent, and the fact that I happen to think the actress sucks. It's got nothing to do with some reflexive dislike or envy of young females that you keep referring to. 

• Love 12

Maybe, but that's not the case in this instance, at least not for me. I actually love and root for a huge number of fictional teenage females (which, given how many years past my own adolescence I am is probably kind of sad, but that's for another thread!) I personally dislike Bradley because I can't stand her perpetually stoned, slurring, bizarrely delivered lines, the way that I feel her personality has always ranged from being all over the place to completely nonexistent, and the fact that I happen to think the actress sucks. It's got nothing to do with some reflexive dislike or envy of young females that you keep referring to.

On my phone, so I'll just say I completely agree and well said. I would like to point out that there is a teenage female on the show I love and have always loved - Emma. Hell, I didn't even hate Cody even when I got frustrated with her rebel schtick at times. Not caring for Bradley is not some automatic slight against teenage girls versus teenage boys. And much as I didn't care for her or miss her when she was gone, it doesn't mean I didn't find her death very tragic and horrible.

• Love 10

I'm afraid Nicola Peltz has fallen into the habit of vocal fry like a lot of other young women her age, which is why she always sounds stoned. I didn't like her character because I always found her manipulative, and her reappearance did nothing to change my mind about that. Still, though, she absolutely did not deserve the end she got, poor thing.

• Love 6

And my Romero hate is fully cemented now.  I didn't get the sense that he killed Bob strictly for Norma (even if so, my UO: completely not cool).  I got the distinct sense his over-the-top shooting of Bob was in response to Bob's taunting him about being like his father.

I didn't.  He called Bob to flee his house.  He told him at the docks that he knew about his boat because of the conversation some time back with it's former owner.  So he knew in advance that was where Bob would flee.  He was therefore there ready to ambush and kill him in advance.  Had nothing to do with pushing psychological buttons when it was all pre-meditative.

I agree with the poster above that termed Romero an old school wild west sheriff.  That's what makes him so fun and likeable.  Too bad he has an Achilles' heel called Norma.  It will be the death of him ... literally.

I'm glad so many people here enjoy the Emma/Dylan stuff.  I don't.  I tune in for Psycho: The Early Years, not a Lifetime movie.  Their scenes slow the show's pace down to a crawl for me.  Only thing I can think of when I see them is who will Norman kill first.  I mean the real person that "inspired" the fictional Norman had a real brother who disappeared and was presumed killed by him.  Maybe they can make the disappearance an escape in this case instead but I sure hope they don't.  Wouldn't make any sense for them to just run away knowing what at least Dylan knows and thus leaving Norman free to kill various people until the real time frame of Psycho kicks in.  Besides I want Bates Motel to be a really dark show and not just kill off secondary characters.

Thanks to above poster that mentioned the theatre girl's father Norman killed.  Yeah, self defense as mentioned but that does bring his kill total up to four though his murder total would still be three.

• Love 3
(edited)
amensisterfriend's reasons - which seem almost solely to do with acting style.

The acting and the writing. Other than those minor quibbles, I think she's the best character ever. 

Fortunately, we're all free to like or dislike whichever characters we wish without being lectured or accused of latent sexism. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 7
(edited)

On May 16, 1944, Henry and Ed were burning away marsh vegetation on the property;[10] the fire got out of control, drawing the attention of the local fire department. By the end of the day — the fire having been extinguished and the firefighters gone — Ed reported his brother missing. With lanterns and flashlights, Ed, Augusta and two deputies[citation needed] searched for Henry, whose dead body was found lying face down.[11] Apparently he had been dead for some time, and it appeared that death was result of heart failure, since he had not been burned or injured otherwise.[11] It was later reported, in Harold Schechter's biography of Gein, Deviant, that Henry had bruises on his head.[8][12] The police dismissed the possibility of foul play and the county coroner later officially listed asphyxiation as the cause of death.[8][12] The authorities accepted the accident theory but there was no official investigation and an autopsy was not performed.[13] Some suspected that Ed Gein killed his brother. Questioning Gein about the death of Bernice Worden in 1957, state investigator Joe Wilimovsky brought up questions about Henry's death.[10] Dr. George W. Arndt who studied the case wrote that, in retrospect, it was "possible and likely" that Henry's death was "the "Cain and Abel" aspect of this case".[14]

From Wikipedia.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't know how Norman is going to be able to keep a relationship with real Norma when she is so different from Head!Norma. I mean, he thinks she has killed two people now. Plus, the discrepancies between what real Norma knows and has actually happened and the things that just happen in Norman's head are going to keep piling up. Hell, he will probably start liking Head!Norma more now that real Norma has opened her eyes and is even afraid of him.

Yes, I think that this episode showed that Real!Norma and Norman's relationship fell apart just as Head!Norma and Norman's relationship got much closer. Norman said "I do" to Head!Norma. I think *she's* the one he's going to love and be loyal to from now on.

He might even end up killing real!Norma to protect the version of his mother that's in his head. I think it's likely that real!Norma and head!Norma will seem (to Norman) to be enemies -- with real!Norma trying to get rid of head!Norma (through mental health "treatment" if nothing else). I think that Norman might ultimately come to head!Norma's defense against real!Norma -- and that might be what ultimately gets Norma killed.

He's already so suspicious of his real mother, and wants to get away from her. I think it would be easy for him to convince himself that real!Norma is the delusion, and head!Norma is the loving, devoted, loyal mother who he has to protect.

The lung transplant thing actually annoyed me. Emma's dad was just sitting on his ass all these years waiting for his kid to die, but Emma's crush of a few months is able to drum up the bribe money and get her some donor lungs within like a week? It just felt ridiculous to me.

Emma became a little too much of ~the wise cripple~ this season, imo. I disliked Dylan calling her a "warrior" and "the bravest person" he's ever met. Not because that isn't true, per se, but because that's such a stereotype and just so stale.

Idk, the actors are selling the romance angle really well and I've liked both those characters for a long time, etc etc etc, but I'm ready for that stuff to get a little more complicated and a little less Lifetime. It's feeling a little too treacly and simplistic for me atm.

Her mannerisms AND her worldview are not in line with RealNorma.  She is a complete and independent construct of Norman - not Norman imagining what his mother would say or do.  Rather this is Norman making his Mother do what HE would do.  Scratch that, she is JUST like RealNorma in that her primary value to Norman is that she covers for him.  Blackouts/fugue states/insanity notwithstanding Norman kills because Norman is a killer - it is his head that decides that these people need to die for the flimsiest of reasons.  There is no coercion or logic or sense of danger.  He simply makes up an excuse, acts on it, and blames his mother for it.

Yes, head!Norma is nothing like Norma actually is at this point. I don't think that Norman *means* for her to be some scapegoat so that he can still feel pure/guilt-free even while he does monstrous things. But that's what she functions as now.

It really is like in The Giving Tree, I guess. Norma isn't going to be able to stop giving Norman what he needs, even though she knows that everything she gives him just pushes them all further and faster toward doom. Norman needs a scapegoat right now, so he's going to use his mother as one -- and she's not going to be able to stop him. She's going to be an accessory to everything bad he does whether she wants to be (or even knows about it!) or not.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

Even though we all saw it coming, Bradley's death was nothing short of disturbing (brilliantly filmed but disturbing nonetheless).   I was never a fan of Bradley's, but it was mainly because I found her to be 1-dimensional and dull, but I always considered her a relatively nice person, who genuinely cared for Norman.   Her death truly horrified me, because I could not begin to imagine what was going on her mind once Norman started becoming unglued.  It also saddened me quite a bit, because her existence was so, so  lonely, knowing that she would never be missed. 

Like others, I was terrified when Dylan started going into the basement. and I literally held my breath.  I was so relieved when Norman was not down there. 

I agree with the poster who said this episode could have been the series finale and would have been satisfying.  I am looking forward to future seasons, although with Norman already at this stage in his psychosis, I can't even guess how they are going to maintain the suspense much longer.