Type keyword(s) to search

Limitless in the Media

It was a lot more common back in the 70s and 80s. I remember The Bionic Woman moved from ABC to NBC and Wonder Woman moved from ABC to CBS. In the 90s Sliders moved from Fox to SyFy. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Snarkette said:

Since when has "shopping it around" been a thing? The first I heard of anything like that was Supergirl, which had a natural fit with the other DC Comic shows. This "Hey we have a show, but we'll keep it in limbo thing"? Is it something that happened to other shows?

"Shopping it around" is a very common, longstanding thing. It was perhaps more frequently successfully in the past, not as common for it to work out in recent years (the examples others already mentioned are kind of it for recency), but the attempt  to revive a show elsewhere is neither new nor uncommon.

Edited by theatremouse
8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

"Shopping it around" is a very common, longstanding thing. It was perhaps more frequently successfully in the past, not as common for it to work out in recent years (the examples others already mentioned are kind of it for recency), but the attempt  to revive a show elsewhere is neither new nor uncommon.

It seems too late though. Bare minimum, there's no shopping that gets in back on air this fall. Best case, they find someone for next January, although the following Summer (the one after this one) is even more likely. 

And this is all a big "if". As wonderful as the show is, I don't know how easily it fits into any existing channel lineup anywhere, especially with the CBS co-ownership of it. 

A list of shows that changed channels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_that_changed_networks

there were quite a few including things like wagon train that seemed to be on forever.  But my favorite was the Ernie Kovacs show that was on 4 count them 4 networks. My dad loved that show, and followed it to each channel  and it was only on for a short time too. 

Now it they let it run in reruns it might have a chance to get an audience, Cheers was going to be cancelled I think but was found during reruns and went on to last like 10 years. 

Old information from an old person. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

It seems too late though. Bare minimum, there's no shopping that gets in back on air this fall. Best case, they find someone for next January, although the following Summer (the one after this one) is even more likely. 

And this is all a big "if". As wonderful as the show is, I don't know how easily it fits into any existing channel lineup anywhere, especially with the CBS co-ownership of it. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I think it'll work for this show. I was just responding to the question of that's a thing.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, holly4755 said:

A list of shows that changed channels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_that_changed_networks

there were quite a few including things like wagon train that seemed to be on forever.  But my favorite was the Ernie Kovacs show that was on 4 count them 4 networks. My dad loved that show, and followed it to each channel  and it was only on for a short time too. 

Now it they let it run in reruns it might have a chance to get an audience, Cheers was going to be cancelled I think but was found during reruns and went on to last like 10 years. 

Old information from an old person. 

Thanks for the link. I forgot Southland changed networks (and IIRC, showrunner--not necessarily for the better IMO). More to the point, I also forgot Unforgettable was dropped by CBS and picked up by A&E as recently as 2014. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

JAG moved from NBC to CBS which eventually spunoff NCIS (and all its spinoffs.)

Community moved from NBC to Yahoo Streaming.  Unforgettable was cancelled twice on CBS and moved to A&E.  Netflix has picked up Longmire and The Killing once their respective networks cancelled them.

With all the cable channels and streaming channels, it's still a long shot but maybe a touch less so than when JAG did it.

• Love 1

Taxi moved from ABC to NBC in 1982 for the fifth of its five seasons. Before that, The Tony Randall Show moved from ABC to CBS in 1977. Success with finding a new home for a cancelled series is statistically a rare occurrence (it mostly doesn't work out), but such as it is, it's been happening for decades.

Sure, but I think the rules have changed, and probably just this past year or so. The bottom finally fell out on broadcast network ratings the rest of the way. I think what we're left with is a situation where renewals are dependent on how a show is paid for, and the rare occurrence of a network transfer is going to largely align with the same factors. Supergirl's move was the stars lining up precisely because CW was an alternative where the license fees were actually going to be even better, because of the Time Warner link, and the other expenses even lower. Limitless doesn't have another logical place to go where the same would be true. 

This is the new reality. I think as a result we're going to start to see pilots only picked up by networks who own the shows, and consequently that's likely to also mean that dead is probably going to really mean dead now, short of a very minuscule number of lateral moves where a broadcast network owns some other channel that fits on cable. The one other exception I can think of is long running shows moving to streaming channels for extra seasons. That'll keep happening too. But 1 season wonders who don't get the ratings a network wants? It's those few lateral moves, or nothing, I bet.

• Love 1

There is a continuing trickle of speculation and hopefulness that keeps sucking me into this forum.  Time for me to accept the fact:  This wonderful show is (very regretfully) deader than a dodo.  So, I'm going to unfollow.  (There's a word I doubt the Queen ever uttered!)  So, I'll leave you to it, and maybe see you on one of the other forums.  If a miracle should actually occur... I will return.  Until then, farewell!

Ouch. My whole family are going to be disappointed about this. We all completely love it. I wish I hadn't introduced so many people to to the show now. I've just shared the misery around.

I guess I don't see it that way. I love the show, I could certainly look forward to seeing more episodes... But as it is, we have one very entertaining season with a beginning and a very complete end. Nothing lasts forever.... It'll remain worth watching, and if/when DVDs come out, I intend to enjoy the hell out of them. I wouldn't regret introducing anyone to it, now and in the future.

Which is not to say I'm not sad about the announcement.

• Love 5

I was prepared for the worst, so it isn't surprising, but I'm sad that it didn't work out.  I was surprised over how much I enjoyed the show and what it became.

At least they actually gave it a pretty good send-off and tied up most of the loose ends.  But I will miss seeing Brian, Rebecca, Naz, Boyle, and, of course, Mike & Ike, again!

• Love 1

With all the dreck that clogs the airwaves it's just incomprehensible to me that a smart, clever, fun show like Limitless gets canned. What a gut punch.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, solea said:

With all the dreck that clogs the airwaves it's just incomprehensible to me that a smart, clever, fun show like Limitless gets canned. What a gut punch.

Always seems like the best ones have the shortest life spans.

Also why I will always prefer the binge/marathon method of watching shows - after they've finished or been cancelled, or have a few seasons already aired... I hate getting invested in something I really like, only for the network to pull the rug out from under me.

• Love 4

Well, this does not make me happy but I am not surprised.  I couldn't even get anyone in my family to watch it with me.  It was hard to explain the charm of the show (I am so glad I gave it another shot after that first episode).  I put it down to chemistry.  Everyone seemed to click with each other and enjoy their work.  And the stories were clever and I loved all the movie and other pop culture references.  Just a fun show to watch.

• Love 4

I don't watch a lot of dramas or procedurals. but this show was must-see appointment TV for me. Tuesday nigihts from 10-11 I would be glued to my tablet and couldn't breathe until the last second of the episode. I will really miss it. I want to know what happened with the Senator, the Legion of Whom, Sands, I want to know who really killed all the people who took NZT, etc. we'll never really know. ugh. I hope the creator of the show will do an AMA / interview / podcast, SOMETHING, to tie up all the loose ends.

• Love 4

Well hell. With Limitless cancelled, Person of Interest on it's way out, and Supergirl going to the CW, I won't need to watch any more shows on CBS's stupid website anymore. Silver lining I guess.

• Love 4

Well that sucks.  Another good show bites the dust.  I'm thinking of lowering my IQ by about 40 points, so that I can learn to enjoy the crap that has been renewed.

• Love 3

This blows.

A dumb-ass show about the DEVIL, retiring to LA and FIGHTING CRIME gets renewed but Limitless gets cancelled?

Now I see why all the new shows are going to Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.  What fresh Hell is this? I hate everyone right now..

• Love 3
On 01/06/2016 at 9:13 AM, Teitr Styrr said:

Well hell. With Limitless cancelled, Person of Interest on it's way out...

It has been a bad TV year for male characters named Finch.

• Love 3

Update on the DVDs:

... Today CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution informed retailers that "Limitless - Season 1" on DVD would still be called "Limitless - Season 1," despite the show being cancelled and the DVD release actually amounting to "the complete series" of the program.

But the studio also did inform retailers that the release date would be changed from August 30th to September 6th (no reason was provided), and they also noted that the package art would be changed a bit...notably to add a banner across the top that informs buyers that the set includes not just DVDs, but also Digital Copies of the episodes. ...

• Love 2

Every time I re-watch the episodes (I bought the season on Google Play), I hold out a secret hope that this show will be sold to a cable network or Amazon or some such.

Hope springs eternal, and this show was (is dammit!) too good to end after only one season!!!! I hate CBS so much right now. If it wasn't for Mom and Big Brother I'd boycott.

*not really, just having a 2 year old style tantrum*

• Love 2

I have a fantasy that season 1 will do really well on Netflix, and they'll commission a second season. I know it is probably unrealistic-- even if Netflix decided they wanted to do it, the people who made the show will have already moved on to other jobs-- but still... it would be nice....

• Love 4

Same fantasy possibilities, same fantasy. In mine, the people demand it, and either Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon pick it up, offering the leads a buttload of money to come back (except Brian's family. Still haven't forgiven the family for the way they treated him). 

This show is just too darned good to not get picked up. I'm keeping hope alive on this one...

On July 14, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Big Mother said:

:( :( :( 

limitless.jpg

Just finished rewatching on Netflix. I get it; the team has bills to pay and has split up and moved on to new projects. But that doesn't make me less heartbroken. One season wasn't enough.

Prepare to have your heart broken all over again listening to CBS entertainment president Glenn Geller talk about Limitless as part of a discussion of how close Supergirl also came to staying with CBS.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/10/cbs-after-supergirl-new-superhero-series/

Like Supergirl, the small-screen adaptation of Limitless represented a big, fun swing for CBS… that ultimately didn’t pan out.

“We have to make determinations based on how we feel going forward. We can only pick up so many things,” he said of Limitless‘ surprising snuffing. “I really liked the show, but if it’s not connecting with the viewers, we can’t bring it back.”

Recently, I was so bummed when I checked Comcast OnDemand and found no Limitless to watch! Hrumpf. But luckily for me, I buy Netflix and Xfinity's (Comcast) new X1 platform puts Netflix on your TV. Ah, I am re-enjoying Limitless all over again-with no commericals. What a fun show this is.  I love the actor who plays Brian so much. Such a fun, inventive show. 

• Love 2