Type keyword(s) to search

Minority Report - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A world where minions of the state analyze the pattern of your every action, every purchase, every text, email, bowel movement, and based on some algorithm, pass judgement upon you, and take action to control you?

Sounds like our world...

Where they take away your drivers license to stop you from drinking and driving, based upon the fact that you bought the wrong colour jacket? Sounds pretty distopian, if you ask me.

Things to come? Dystopian, I agree completely. Like I said, couldn't picture that was ever supposed to represent a utopia. (I was responding to Pointer.)

I'm afraid though, that from what the showrunners have stated (the general tone of the show is supposed to not even be ambivalent but inherently utopian, as opposed to distopian like the movie and the P.K. Dick story) and what they seem to promote as her watchword ("when you're to blind to learn its lessons, history repeats itself"), she'll be set up as inherently good, with even so much as her taking an ends-justify-means approach being at best a temporary misstep she will immediately come to regret and personally rectify within the next episode.

But it does mesh with the tone of how they're presenting things, which had confused me. A show resorting to marijuana ads as signs of progress or change isn't subtle, so it seemed unlikely that the absence of commentary on the police state or even the slavery of the precogs was a light-handed approach at story telling. Apparently a non-critical lens was simply the result of approval. The mind it boggles. Nay: positively shrieks.
  • Love 2

Wait, this is supposed to be a utopia?  My mind is doing a boggle-shriek too.

I'm actually fine with Dash and Arthur having two different dads; we need some good soapy suds to clean the above mess up if this series continues. All the actual soaps currently on air suck beyond the telling of it (see- every U.S. soap thread on this forum) and I miss having a good soap to discuss. Plus it would add to the story if Vega's getting their mother's case file in the second (?) episode and then her bringing up to Arthur that their father* walked out before the twins were born actually led to something.

*Even as she was saying it, I wondered why on earth Vega thought: "Hey, you know how your dad was a deadbeat? I know, because I read your dead junkie mom's file. My dad was awesome, so you should feel sorry for me and help by doing something both physically painful and emotionally traumatic" was a good tack to take in getting Arthur on board. I mean, it worked, which says good things about Arthur actually, but might not have been my go-to for persuasion.

Edited by Greta
  • Love 3

I share your questions regarding Agatha. It still irks me that the standout precog of the movie (next to nothing of what we could learn about her there makes a reappearance in the series at this point) remains so one-dimnesional halfway into the series. I completely agree with you when it comes to her potential as a phenomenal Big Bad - even one without autotelicly sinister motivations, who still manages to threaten the very fabric of of the show's society by the ruthlessness with which she pursues her goals.

Thanks for the new word!  [Grin]

There was so much potential here -- sad to see it all wasted.

A world where minions of the state analyze the pattern of your every action, every purchase, every text, email, bowel movement, and based on some algorithm, pass judgement upon you, and take action to control you?  Where they take away your drivers license to stop you from drinking and driving, based upon the fact that you bought the wrong colour jacket?  Sounds pretty distopian, if you ask me.

Hawkeye is dystopian, and I think is at least hinted as such.  PreCrime, with a few minor adjustments, could have been more utopian,

Since Arthur, Dash and Agatha have their visions without being linked (much less confined to a milk bath), why not let them have a semblance of a normal life, and have them get together whenever one has a vision, making note of any discrepancies (replacing "minority reports").  The police use the vision to stop the crime, but the would-be killer (W-B K) is not arrested.  Instead, the motive is examined and if it can be fixed (be resolving a conflict that would turn deadly), it is; if not (a serial killer), the W-B K is held in the appropriate facility.

A world where there's minimum harm to the Pre-Cogs, where murders are stopped before they take place, and W-B Ks get the help they need so they don't kill seems pretty utopian to me.

• Love 4

A world where there's minimum harm to the Pre-Cogs, where murders are stopped before they take place, and W-B Ks get the help they need so they don't kill seems pretty utopian to me.

Perhaps, but that's not what was happening in PreCrime.  People were being charged and "incarcerated" for crimes they never committed, and (as it turned out) perhaps never intended to commit.

Hawkeye is worse, because they are taking action against citizens for crimes they have not committed, on the basis of the fact that they might commit them, based on nothing but some pattern analysis by some software somewhere.  

PreCrime, with a few minor adjustments may sound appealing, but remember!  Such a program will be run by some bureaucrat who wants to win favour by cutting the budget.  How long before the entire thing is a shambles again?

• Love 1

And also bureaucrats would be in charge of deciding what and was not a damning motive deserving of incarceration. That would be inevitably corrupting.  

It's also possible that PreCrime was used as a pretext back when it was up and running.  The precogs weren't talking directly to anyone, so if someone decided Greta was a problem, who was there to gainsay a claim that the precogs had a vision saying I was about to commit a murder?  Video of "visions" could easily be faked.

Gah, this show could be so good!

• Love 1

Actually, what I think has harmed this show (possibly unto death) is that they made very little of Arthur and Agatha in the earlier episodes.  Dash and Vega wandering about like a crime-busting duo just isn't all that interesting.  But the more the other precogs are included, the more scope the show suddenly has to offer.  Arthur seems to be a far more intriguing character than Dash, and Agatha is even more interesting!  The show-runners are now starting to involve those characters more, but alas! Too late, it seems.

• Love 6

But the more the other precogs are included, the more scope the show suddenly has to offer.  Arthur seems to be a far more intriguing character than Dash, and Agatha is even more interesting!  The show-runners are now starting to involve those characters more, but alas! Too late, it seems.

They should've been more involved, if not be the focus to solve the crime of the week for their procedural aspect.

• Love 1

It's not that there are 3 people who know everything about you that made the movie a dystopia, it;s the fact that they had no "agency" from their visions -- hence the evil bureaucrats. Bringing it back to where this show could have gone, the three could work together, without the milk bath, and with knowledge of anyone trying to subvert the PreCrime program (as Agatha knew all the things about the embezzler).

But it hardly matters now.

• Love 1

Based on the title of the show and my memories of the movie, why hasn't there ever been a Minority Report, where one of the precog's visions differs from the others'?

That's what the show should've been about, it would've been truer to both the title and the movie it's based on.

Based on the title of the show and my memories of the movie, why hasn't there ever been a Minority Report, where one of the precog's visions differs from the others'?

That's exactly what the movie was about.  But in the TV series, there can't be any minority reports since there is only one report.

• Love 2

That's exactly what the movie was about.  But in the TV series, there can't be any minority reports since there is only one report.

So the precogs only shared visions because they were "hooked up" in the milk bath? Okay, I get it. I just wish I knew how that linking technology worked. I don't remember the movie explaining it. I don't know if the original short story ever explained the how of it, either (I never read the short story. Just speculating).

So the precogs only shared visions because they were "hooked up" in the milk bath? Okay, I get it. I just wish I knew how that linking technology worked.

As I remember the milk-bath was more of an isolation tank, so they wouldn't be distracted from their precognitive duty to their "owners".  

When they all saw some event, they each would make a "report".  If one saw the event from a different perspective to the others, the cops went with the majority (of two) interpretation of events, and the odd-man-out (actually, usually it was Agatha) was files as a "minority report".   (The demise of PreCog came about because it turns out Agatha's "minority" view was more often than not, the correct one.  That, and consequent misuse of the system by persons of authority.)

So, as things stand today, there can't be a "minority report" unless all three precogs share a vision of a common event, and one of the three interprets the event differently from the other two.  Even if Dash/Arthur see the same event and disagree as to the interpretation, one can't be the minority.  And Agatha is avoiding any involvement, so...

• Love 1

So, as things stand today, there can't be a "minority report" unless all three precogs share a vision of a common event, and one of the three interprets the event differently from the other two.  Even if Dash/Arthur see the same event and disagree as to the interpretation, one can't be the minority.  And Agatha is avoiding any involvement, so...

Thanks for the explanation, Netfoot. Maybe I'm just looking too closely at the details, but Agatha isn't having any more visions of murders since she's on the island and away from D.C, correct.? If that's the case, then why is she able to see a vision of the three of them in the milk bath with Vega looking at them? Wouldn't that be taking place in D.C. as well? Maybe?

Agatha isn't having any more visions of murders since she's on the island and away from D.C, correct.?

Well, not that we know.  She has admitted to seeing the milk-bath and Vega, and she obviously saw many a detail about the guy who was hiding out on the island, although we aren't privy to the details.  She may or may not be seeing a great deal more than has as yet been revealed.

This show needs to drop Vega and refocus on the three Precogs.  Well, they don't have to drop her, but just move her away from center stage and make her the sidekick to the three leads, rather than one of the leads herself.  The three precogs can do what they do, each with their own motives, and with some squabbling in between the cooperation, and some successes and failures at weekly tasks.  Not all by any mean, law-enforcement tasks.  And a long term goal (or three goals) that they move towards and suffer setbacks as well as successes.  

• Love 3

This was .... a completely different show than everything we've seen before and I would watch this show. There is a lot of potential in exploring the future from this angle.

Akeela can go because she is just such a generic trope. I have even warmed to Blake over her. Wally can stay but only because of the connection to the Precrime backstory. If he is that wealthy, he didn' t need that job. He wanted to be there, which could go interesting, dark places.

• Love 3

This was .... a completely different show than everything we've seen before and I would watch this show. There is a lot of potential in exploring the future from this angle.

The precogs working together to solve the crimes is what this show should've focused on.

• Love 2

I said it only a couple days ago.  This show should be about the precogs.  They show this as episode six?  If they has shown this as episode two, the show might not be circling the drain!

"It's non-lethal.  Unless I shoot you with it."  Hehe.

• Love 1

The precogs working together to solve the crimes is what this show should've focused on.

I still don't think that would've been enough to get people to watch or for those who watched to stay engaged with the show. Remember the show started off with very low viewership. So audiences just weren't that interested. Whether that was due to lack of promotion or the fact that MP the movie was released too long ago for a show about it to draw interest, something else all together or a combination of things, I'm not sure.

However, like previous episodes, tonight's show just wasn't that great. It wasn't horrible but I wouldn't say it was good either.

The show seems to be all over the place and it's not providing any insight into why the pre cogs are helping Vega. Wanting to stop murders or help each other because they are siblings is not interesting. And though Vega and Dash have come to work fairly well as partners, IMHO they're not dynamic enough to overshadow the weak storytelling.

There's no overarching storyline. It's basically crime/case of the week, most of which are not very engaging. I think they tried to plant the seeds for a bigger story arc last week with the backstory surrounding the murder of Vega's father but IMO it was not well done. Agatha is up to something but that's also too vague to be intriguing. The possibility of Dash being found out also has no building tension.

The show is just dull, which is a shame since most of the actors seem to be strong enough to carry the show and the premise had a lot of potential.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I still don't think that would've been enough to get people to watch or for those who watched to stay engaged with the show. Remember the show started off with very low viewership. So audiences just weren't that interested. Whether that was due to lack of promotion or the fact that MP the movie was released too long ago for a show about it to draw interest, something else all together or a combination of things, I'm not sure.

I wasn't talking about the ratings, but it's what the show should've focused on.

As for the show itself, it's a loose adaption for a film over a decade ago, not to mention FOX has been struggling with sci fi in general so of course it was never going to pan out, like Almost Human a few years ago or other failed sci fi show.

This show needs to drop Vega and refocus on the three Precogs.  Well, they don't have to drop her, but just move her away from center stage and make her the sidekick to the three leads, rather than one of the leads herself.  

Then you run into the problem of systemic racism, where blacks and women are shuffled off from the lead and turned into sidekicks.  This was especially notorious on Sleepy Hollow last season where all the people of color were shuffled off for white replacements.  I for one would rather see the show cancelled than to have Good become the white folks toady.

There are less than a dozen shows with a black female lead (in the year of "diversity" no less).  I certainly don't want one less.

I enjoyed that.  I thought Brian was gorgeous and I loved the way they filmed that scenery.  It was beautiful.  I live in sort of a rural place like that, not an island, but lots of woods and trees and quiet.  It was a very "me" sort of place.  

• Love 2

I for one would rather see the show cancelled than to have Good become the white folks toady.

There are less than a dozen shows with a black female lead (in the year of "diversity" no less). I certainly don't want one less.

If it's cancelled, that's not just "one less," that's another failure, where the next time out producers may ask themselves if they can put a minority female front and center, and they'll have one more precedent (with this cancellation) that might sway them to decide against. I don't think that's in anyone's interest. And Good is no Beharie by a long shot.

I'd also just rather have engaging television, which Vega centric isn't for me. That's not a question of race, that's characterization and writing.

• Love 3

I think if the show does get a long shot renewal, episodes like this  could be the new direction.  There weren't too many  special effects or green screens, meaning it was cheaper to shoot, as well as being more interesting in terms of characterization and story, although still not perfect.  The precogs and Vega could go on the run to another off the grid, less mostly peaceful community and try to blend in while Fighting Crime!

The three siblings played their relationships well; I really like their obvious bonds with each other.

• Love 2

The precogs and Vega could go on the run to another off the grid, less mostly peaceful community and try to blend in while Fighting Crime!

The three siblings played their relationships well; I really like their obvious bonds with each other.

The show should've been conceived like this to begin with, even though there are still problems.

• Love 2

The show seems to be all over the place and it's not providing any insight into why the pre cogs are helping Vega. Wanting to stop murders or help each other because they are siblings is not interesting. And though Vega and Dash have come to work fairly well as partners, IMHO they're not dynamic enough to overshadow the weak storytelling.

There's no overarching storyline. It's basically crime/case of the week, most of which are not very engaging. I think they tried to plant the seeds for a bigger story arc last week with the backstory surrounding the murder of Vega's father but IMO it was not well done. Agatha is up to something but that's also too vague to be intriguing. The possibility of Dash being found out also has no building tension.

The show is just dull, which is a shame since most of the actors seem to be strong enough to carry the show and the premise had a lot of potential.

I agree, I still don't know why Arthur is cool with working with them now...where are their motivations? I've watched plenty of procedurals but this show doesn't do a good job of mixing procedural and serial aspects. The crimes are really predictable, and even so, they don't make you care about the victims or see much character development of the main cast.

• Love 2

This was my favorite episode by far. I liked the 4 of them working together to prevent a murder. I liked Agatha's backstory with Brian, and Wally's hacker smackdown of Akeela was hilarious. 

How funny that I was asking a bunch of questions in the last episode thread that were answered here. "Does Agatha ever get visions? Do the three pre-cogs ever see the same vision anymore? Will Agatha and Vega ever work together? 

I'm sorry the ratings are bad. I think the show is getting better, and there aren't a lot of good dramas on network TV right now. And I feel bad for Megan Good--this will be the second drama she's starred in during the past few years that hasn't succeeded. I hope Hollywood doesn't start to believe (as if they already don't) that TV shows with a black female lead won't work. 

• Love 1

I hope Hollywood doesn't start to believe (as if they already don't) that TV shows with a black female lead won't work. 

Well, seeing as TV still has Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Sleepy Hollow and Empire, it's possible that the process only get better, not worse. Also, does Quantico have female lead who is an Indian?

• Love 2

Well, seeing as TV still has Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Sleepy Hollow and Empire, it's possible that the process only get better, not worse. Also, does Quantico have female lead who is an Indian?

Exactly, those shows are still doing well at the moment.

I hope Hollywood doesn't start to believe (as if they already don't) that TV shows with a black female lead won't work.

Taken to Small Talk.

• Love 1

Maybe they only think they can't see their own futures? Because pretty much everything they see, especially in immediate situations, does involve their own futures. Possibly I've given this more thought than the writers.

I see all the issues with the show, yet I really hope Fox gives it at least another chance at another limited season, because there's so much potential. And next week I get my much longed for Vega/Arthur teamup.  Meagan Good and Nick Zano are both stronger reactors than scene drivers, which should hurt their scenes, but weirdly works with the wary vibe between the two characters. (And apparently inspires "w" alliteration in me.)

Edited by Greta
  • Love 1

I read that this episode was completely conceived out of necessity since they needed to cut back on the amount of CGI work and editing needed to pump out one episode.

That said, it was cool to see the three of them working together.  It would be nice to understand why there are essentially TWO very different worlds - DC with all of the tech along AND places like Fiddler's Neck (tv's answer to organic Amish country for the hipsters).  Also, for them to explore why the pre-cogs went in completely different directions while breaking up the band.  

Can someone explain if the actor that plays Dash has to stand on a box in his scenes with Meagan to make him look so much taller than her?  Based on their "actual" heights, he shouldn't tower over her as some scenes makes it appear.  

I read that this episode was completely conceived out of necessity since they needed to cut back on the amount of CGI work and editing needed to pump out one episode.

I prefer less cg in this case.

• Love 2

Can someone explain if the actor that plays Dash has to stand on a box in his scenes with Meagan to make him look so much taller than her?  Based on their "actual" heights, he shouldn't tower over her as some scenes makes it appear.  

where do you get his actual hight from? Google gives me 174cm [the low end of 5'9 - as "5'9" spans from anywhere between 174cm to 176 cm], which is not all that tall for a man and most definitely shorter than he actually is.

I've just taken a look at a couple of scenes from two episodes of Generation Kill again (which is the only other work of his I own, sorry) and turned up with about a half dozen figure shots and long shots that have him stand naturally next to a couple of castmates (Lee Tergesen, Mac Menchaca, Eric Nenninger, Rudy Reyes)  who are all listed on various sites to be between 180cm [5'11] and 185cm [6'1]. He's slightly but visibly taller than Reyes (180cm / 5'11) and appears about the same hight as Menchaca (183cm / 6'0), while either equally tall or slightly smaller than Nenninger (185cm / 6'1), which may be down to details in posture obscured by very baggy costumes. Unsurprisingly, he is visibly smaller than Alexander Skarsgard, but that guy is a veritable giant at (if I'm not completely mistaken) somewhere between 195cm [6'5] and just under 200cm [6'7].

If we look at his scenes with Nick Zano in Minority Report, who is listed as 183cm [6'0], they seem to be pretty evenly matched height wise, with Sands appearing taller in several scenes and promo photos. If Meagan Good's hight via google is correct (at 165cm / 5'5) a 15 to 20 cm [6 to 8 inches] hight difference to Sands looks quite possible. He is definitely taller than Wilmer Valderrama in their scenes together, who google claims to be 172cm [5'8] - no way is that only a 2 cm[1 inch] hight difference between Sands and Valderrama.

From what else I can remember of the show, there are quite a lot of long shots and medium long shots that have Good and Sands walk towards the camera, and their hight difference isn't visibly different from what it is in the closer shots. Which is the sort of detail I'm usually pretty quick to pick up on. I'll keep an eye on the issue regardless.

No way is that guy just 174cm [5'9] tall, though.

Edited by Pointer

Maybe they only think they can't see their own futures? Because pretty much everything they see, especially in immediate situations, does involve their own futures. Possibly I've given this more thought than the writers.

I see all the issues with the show, yet I really hope Fox gives it at least another chance at another limited season, because there's so much potential. And next week I get my much longed for Vega/Arthur teamup.  Meagan Good and Nick Zano are both stronger reactors than scene drivers, which should hurt their scenes, but weirdly works with the wary vibe between the two characters. (And apparently inspires "w" alliteration in me.)

Completely agree with all you say here, Greta, especially regarding hopes for the next episode. Now, concerning the issue of 'the onl things the precogs can't see is their own future', this definitely holds true for Dash, as it is one of the very first things we learn about him in the series: During his expository scene with Agatha in the pilot, she tells him exactly this pretty much verbatim.

Dash sees, according to interviews with the showrunners and actor, murders that happen within a moderately large radius around him (all of DC when he's in DC) as well as tiny little "premonitions" in close vicinity and his immediate future - which of the three elevator doors will open first, that a waitress next to him spills drinks in 15 seconds, that Vega is about to receive a load of pigeon droppings, that type of thing.

Agatha seems to be able to see bits and pieces as well as the murders AND several alternate futures that don't involve murders over a large amount of time (aka she saw her life with Brian

be less happy than

Brians life with his eventual wife,

so she nipped her own relationship with him in the bud

).

Arthur is the names, numbers, data type of cog - and there are a couple of things with his gift that irk me:

I can see how he profits of people whose part in a murder (victim and/or perp) he gets the stats on, and even how he bets on horses (he gets the names of the horses that come in 1st in the next race etc.) But I'm not sure how he manipulates poker games unless he counts cards - does he see the flop and the subsequent new cards of each round? does he somehow get all the hands of everyone around the table? Even more irritating I found his sudden knowledge of the door lock combination this episode. Was that the fast-foreward to a future where they randomly tried all possible combinations on a four number lock until they got lucky?

According to Wally, "what the precogs see is the fallout of two forces colliding - a killer and a victim", therefore no suicides etc. I'm willing to push that to "the fallout of any action/reaction in the world", which would get us "Dash knows the future fastest elevator because the corresponding elevator buttons were pushed by someone in the (immediate) past"; and even superstrong Agatha's different version of Brian's future

(because in any case, either she or the eventual wife will have interacted with Brian to bring that future about)

But what forces were colliding to give Arthur the combination from the lock on the cage door?

Edited by Pointer

I thought Agatha couldn't see her own future????  She sure seemed to be able to in this episode.

I know. I'm confused. But I think I'll stop asking questions. I only get more confused. 

Possibly she can see herself in someone else's future. So she could she Brian's future both with and without herself, and decided without her was better for him.

She can see herself in the milk bath vision because Dash and Arthur are also there -- it's their future. Also Vega is there now too.

ETA: I thought this episode was a nice change of pace, but I don't think it would work for the whole show. That's a lot of precogs to work on one case. If you structure the series along procedural lines (which seems an unfortunate necessity these days) then you probably need to focus on one of them deeply involved with the case of the week while the other two provide occasional assistance and pursue background arcs. Which is basically what they are doing.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I can see how he profits of people whose part in a murder (victim and/or perp) he gets the stats on, and even how he bets on horses (he gets the names of the horses that come in 1st in the next race etc.) But I'm not sure how he manipulates poker games unless he counts cards - does he see the flop and the subsequent new cards of each round? does he somehow get all the hands of everyone around the table? Even more irritating I found his sudden knowledge of the door lock combination this episode. Was that the fast-foreward to a future where they randomly tried all possible combinations on a four number lock until they got lucky?

He can see the full hand. So he knows what the final two cards are -- whether he'll make a straight or a flush or not. For the lock, all he has to do is see the owner open it sometime in the future.

Edited by jhlipton

Finally saw this episode, and I enjoyed seeing the four leads actually together and working on a case.  And it being another personal case (for Agatha this time), did make me a bit more invested, and while going through some of the normal tropes, it did make me care more for Agatha then I normally do.  Plus, it was cool seeing recognizable faces as Brian and Gabby, with Kenneth Mitchell (Astronaut Wives Club!) and Aubrey Marie Anderson (Arrow!  The Walking Dead!)

Still thinking that Agatha's paranoia over her vision and Vega's involvement is going somehow cause her to do something that causes them to go back into the milk bath in the first place.  In other words, she'll end up being her own worst enemy.

Usually like Akeela, but her slapping Wally was so stupid.  You tried to challenge him to a "hacker-off" more or less, and he beat you fair and square.  Even if his "high school" remark was trash-talk, resorting to slapping is so immature.

Still don't give a damn about Blake. 

• Love 1

You completely lost me with all the heights being in metric.

sorry about that, mate - I've started my "research" on that issue with a google search of literally "how tall is x" and the engine automatically gave me the result in cm  (I assume the buggers were locating my IP address) so I went with that, as it's also a bit more detailed, scale wise. I apologize for my tendency to forget that in to the "imperials", I might as well just be measuring stuff in potato scale. Rest assured that I fall victim to the exact same problem when I have to convert, say, American recipes I want to cook on the other side of the pond. ;)

I've gone back to my original post and added the correcsponding value in ft/inches, though.

• Love 1

That makes sense.

[...] all he has to do is see the owner open it sometime in the future.

wasn't one of the main points of the worldbuilding re: their gift that the brothers can only see little things in their very immediate future, though? Or does that only pertain Dash?

Still don't give a damn about Blake. 

The near total absence of Blake (very much tied to the fact that Valderrama also, for once on this show, managed to deliver his lines rather decently) was one of my absolute highlights of the episode.

wasn't one of the main points of the worldbuilding re: their gift that the brothers can only see little things in their very immediate future, though? Or does that only pertain Dash?

There you go again, expecting "logic" and "continuity" and the like...

• Love 1