Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Y'all Come Back Now, Y'hear?

scrb
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

The first cat in this video, this is what my big boy does. He loves me to pick him up this way, at 20 lbs, it's a workout.

I'm green with envy. Mine just lies like a lump. Cute video. Thx

• Love 2
(edited)

Dropping by to say that I just returned from visiting a friend in Charleston. I joked to her about how I watch "Southern Charm" and know that most of Charleston hates the show and refuses to watch it, so if I mentioned it I'd do it in a whisper to avoid embarrassing her in public. Did not intentionally seek out show-related things but did walk by the new Gentry Bar, which she mentioned "it's a new place" and I said, "Yes, it's on the show and used to be called Sermet's". She was surprised I knew that and asked if it was in the episode where they had the election party. (She's seen about 5 episodes of one of the earlier seasons.) It looked like Gentry Bar and restaurant had a pretty good crowd for 5:30 on a Monday. 

But even more fun was on the plane home. I sat next to a young woman who is going to school in Charleston to be a Physician's Assistant. She seemed to be no older than 25, or even 22. I asked if she watched the show and she said no because she didn't have cable, but she knew about it in general. I asked if she'd ever been hit on by Shep Rose out in the bars, and she said she didn't know who that was. "But I have been hit on by Thomas Ravenel, and he's on the show, isn't he?" She said it was in the outdoor area of Republic, that he's often there, and she said, "Eww. He's nasty!"  I asked what his approach had been and she couldn't really remember what he said to her but, she said, he was "taken aback" that she didn't know who he was and seemed to expect everyone to recognize him.

Guess she's one of the young gals who are turning him down and making him feel that he's lost his mojo! Serves him right. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 13
23 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

But even more fun was on the plane home. I sat next to a young woman who is going to school in Charleston to be a Physician's Assistant. She seemed to be no more older 25, or even 22. I asked if she watched the show and she said no because she didn't have cable, but she knew about it in general. I asked if she'd ever been hit on by Shep Rose out in the bars, and she said she didn't know who that was. 

That lady is probably the mystical unicorn Cameran is referring to as to who could tame Shep down. Heh. And most probably she's way above Shep's league.

• Love 3
On 5/2/2017 at 6:18 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Occasionally I can get people tuna cheaper .... I had to explain that I'm allergic to it

Have you looked at sardines (in water)? That would be something your cats will probably enjoy equally while not exposing you to an allergen. Sardines are also generally quite cheap at around $1 per can. There's not as much fish in the can as there is with tuna, but there are (edible) bones and that'll contribute to their calcium intake. Just a thought, anyway.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have had another previous cat who enjoyed sardines but these two...not so much. I'm pretty much allergic to everything out of the sea except clams and oysters. I didn't even know that I could eat the latter until I was pregnant (many years ago) and craved them. My mother told me that it was zinc. As a way back in the day nurse she had meanings for all the Pica cravings. 

• Love 1

Omg, you all,  I just discovered that I can make the the background black and enlarge the type. Yay!!!  I usually read these boards on my phone and it had started to hurt my eyes. I accidentally hit the xl moon at the bottom of the page and I'm so thrilled!....ok I need a life, lol. 

• Love 4
On 5/2/2017 at 2:14 AM, mbaywife123 said:

So do you work at PetsMart(TM),or PetsCo(TM)? Or are you just a bot or troll or pissed ex-employee?

Both are running commercial daily showing delivery at front doors trying to compete. And NO I have no affiliation to chewy.com,(TM)

I love chewy.com!  Cat trees, flea drops, and food, all cheaper than anywhere else. And I recognized the cat treat Craig was opening, it's lickable treats, .98 per package, and my little Boo loves them. 1.4 ounce, so they're reasonable, at least compared to designer kitty food.

4 hours ago, Swim mom said:

I love chewy.com!  Cat trees, flea drops, and food, all cheaper than anywhere else. And I recognized the cat treat Craig was opening, it's lickable treats, .98 per package, and my little Boo loves them. 1.4 ounce, so they're reasonable, at least compared to designer kitty food.

Love that site!

(edited)

Oddly enough, I didn't have Jersey Mike's until I'd been living in Jersey for nearly 20 years despite living at Ground Zero (literally, the original one is just a bit down the way).  I'd always avoided them due to the orange cheese issue and because chain sandwiches suck when you're used to corner delis.  But they do indeed kick the crap out of just about every chain except maybe Blimpie's who incidentally also cut their meats on-sight. 

Quoting from @Lemur's post in the "Family Ties" episode thread.

As I grew up in northern New Jersey, I didn't grow up just down the road from the original Jersey Mike's as you did, but when I was a kid, we did vacation each year in Manasquan one town over from the original's location.  Back then, I'd never heard of it!  When we wanted a great Italian style deli sandwich--generally, we'd buy our own deli meats, cheeses and quality bread and then make our own for the family--we'd always go to Piancone's in Bradley Beach.  Loved that place!  I truly didn't even know that a chain called Jersey Mike's existed until after I'd moved down to coastal South Carolina and they began opening locations in the area about 10-12 years ago.   It's the closest thing to the kind of sub sandwich I'd expect from up north.  They're definitely #1 in my rankings.  

The one thing I will say about Jimmy John's is that, to me, their bread is the best of all the sandwich chains or at least it is in the locations where I've tasted it.  The other sandwich chains leave a lot to be desired, IMO.  The one that I did like was Quiznos, but they've gone extinct in my area of SC.  I don't know if they're still in existence at all anymore.  Are there areas of the country that still have Quiznos locations?

Edited by ProudMary
29 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Quoting from @Lemur's post in the "Family Ties" episode thread.

As I grew up in northern New Jersey, I didn't grow up just down the road from the original Jersey Mike's as you did, but when I was a kid, we did vacation each year in Manasquan one town over from the original's location.  Back then, I'd never heard of it!  When we wanted a great Italian style deli sandwich--generally, we'd buy our own deli meats, cheeses and quality bread and then make our own for the family--we'd always go to Piancone's in Bradley Beach.  Loved that place!  I truly didn't even know that a chain called Jersey Mike's existed until after I'd moved down to coastal South Carolina and they began opening locations in the area about 10-12 years ago.   It's the closest thing to the kind of sub sandwich I'd expect from up north.  They're definitely #1 in my rankings.  

The one thing I will say about Jimmy John's is that, to me, their bread is the best of all the sandwich chains or at least it is in the locations where I've tasted it.  The other sandwich chains leave a lot to be desired, IMO.  The one that I did like was Quiznos, but they've gone extinct in my area of SC.  I don't know if they're still in existence at all anymore.  Are there areas of the country that still have Quiznos locations?

I actually grew up just outside of North Philadelphia, hence the disdain for chain sandwich shops and any place that can't make a proper cheesesteak, but I currently live about 4 blocks north from the former Piancone's (I was there for a funeral repast right before it closed; seemed oddly fitting). Not a huge fan of the new restaurant in there, but apparently Johnny opened a place in Long Branch.  I seriously only converted over to Jersey Mike's about six months ago and completely by accident, as I had a weird craving for Subway, but the Subway right outside of Ocean Grove was now a Jersey Mike's.  I was pleasantly surprised, though they still do have orange cheese.

We had a Quiznos, but it closed.  We do have a Subway and a Blimpie.  Jimmy Johns in the next town.  I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington (the state otherwise known as "Seattle".).

I like the Rotisserie chicken from Subway. Never tried Blimpie because ours is located in a gas station, but based on comments here, I'm going to try it.  Jimmy Johns?  Meh.

Jersey Mike's was delicious.  The best though, was a little hole in the wall called Thirst Aid deli.  You got a whole sandwich, a whole pickle, bag of chips and a can of soda for 5 dollars. The sandwiches?  So much meat, that you could take off enough for 3 more sandwiches.  One time I made the mistake of asking them to put less meat on and they got mad at me! "You paid for this meat and we will NOT cheat you!".

Needless to say, I from that point on, took my sandwich as made, bought a loaf of bread for work and saved a bunch of money on lunch.

I just love me a good sub and sandwich.

• Love 3

Hey, other Jersey locals! I have a beach house in Neptune City, right outside of Bradley Beach. My full-time house is in a Morris County. I obviously know Jersey Mikes but i’ve never eaten there because I don’t eat gluten. I should get it for my family, though.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Hey, other Jersey locals! I have a beach house in Neptune City, right outside of Bradley Beach. My full-time house is in a Morris County. I obviously know Jersey Mikes but i’ve never eaten there because I don’t eat gluten. I should get it for my family, though.

Morris County has some beautiful areas. Good for you. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2017 at 7:49 PM, Major Bigtime said:

The first cat in this video, this is what my big boy does. He loves me to pick him up this way, at 20 lbs, it's a workout.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:50 AM, Mindthinkr said:

What a WONDERFUL video.  I love all animals.    I thought I was more of a dog person, but we had 2 cats and 2 dogs who've all passed by now, but the one I miss the most is Henry the cat.

@MINDTHINKR, I'm with you on the jealousy part.  Cats are so particular that you never quite know what your going to get when you bring one home.  I had two super cuddly cats growing up but the ones I had as an adult weren't nearly as affectionate.  While they had other traits that made them special (especially Henry who could play the piano), I was bummed they weren't more cuddly!

• Love 2
On 7/6/2018 at 9:40 PM, JenE4 said:

Jersey Mike's locations now have gluten free bread.  Or you can get any of their yummy sandwiches without bread as a "Sub in a tub" and get lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, pickles, etc. per your choice.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Jersey Mike's locations now have gluten free bread.  Or you can get any of their yummy sandwiches without bread as a "Sub in a tub" and get lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, pickles, etc. per your choice.  

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely try it now!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, izabella said:

It looked like one to me for sure!  I think the main difference from a sports bra would be the material - more spandex/nylon/poly than cotton.  Maybe I'll just look for that so it's quick dry.

So as not to derail the episode thread l will put this here but you might like the suits at Title Nine.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I don't, frankly, know where else to put this so a big mea culpa to the Mods and feel free to advise me where I have transgressed.

Did anyone catch that "watch with" for the Season 5 finale with Ashley and Kathryn.  Did Bravo really think anyone cares about the opinion of that nasty piece of work ASHLEY of all people?  If you want to stick her in a "watch with" I would have much preferred to force her to comment on the Season 6 finale where she was removed from Patricia's party and looked like a twit.  

And really?  Kathryn?  They both came off like a pair of harpies.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

I don't, frankly, know where else to put this so a big mea culpa to the Mods and feel free to advise me where I have transgressed.

Did anyone catch that "watch with" for the Season 5 finale with Ashley and Kathryn.  Did Bravo really think anyone cares about the opinion of that nasty piece of work ASHLEY of all people?  If you want to stick her in a "watch with" I would have much preferred to force her to comment on the Season 6 finale where she was removed from Patricia's party and looked like a twit.  

Yes! Waaayyyyy too much Assley. Patricia is a horror.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, Carolina Girl said:

I did watch (hubs choice, inexplicably).  I thought Kathryn was surprisingly well behaved, while Ashley is clearly on a zero-growth regimen.  The only changes in AJ were the obvious alterations to her mouth/lip area and her expensive dental work.  

I still have no plans to view the upcoming season, at least voluntarily.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2

Are you white? “Where are you from?” isn’t intended the same way when you’re not. Something’s telling me these people aren’t taking “California” as a final answer. No, where are you really from? They’re trying to get to the root of her ethnicity.

I used to date a guys whose parents were from Saudi Arabia but he was born in Washington D.C. and he would get questions like this ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. 

Q:  Where are you from?

A:  Washington, D.C.

Q:  No where were you born?

A:  Washington, D.C. M.F.!!

I guess people where just curious as to his ethnicity but to assume the guy just simply doesn't understand the question is rude.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, Dirtybubble said:

I used to date a guys whose parents were from Saudi Arabia but he was born in Washington D.C. and he would get questions like this ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. 

Q:  Where are you from?

A:  Washington, D.C.

Q:  No where were you born?

A:  Washington, D.C. M.F.!!

I guess people where just curious as to his ethnicity but to assume the guy just simply doesn't understand the question is rude.

I tought ESL as a volunteer for years. In a million years, I would never think asking a person where they're from would be rude or racist. I get it now, but it's a fine line.

My goal as a teacher was always to get a better understanding of students' origins and to bring home the idea to the whole class that we have a global society with people from all over. 

• Love 6
On 5/3/2017 at 5:50 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I hear ya!

I've had cats my entire life and none have been super cuddly like this!  I keep trying, though 🙂

• Love 1
On 12/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, Jextella said:

I tought ESL as a volunteer for years. In a million years, I would never think asking a person where they're from would be rude or racist. I get it now, but it's a fine line.

My goal as a teacher was always to get a better understanding of students' origins and to bring home the idea to the whole class that we have a global society with people from all over. 

That’s a completely different scenario. Obviously if they’re coming to your class to learn English, they have immigrated from someplace else, so it’s contextually appropriate to ask them where they’re from. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

Does anyone know if all the past seasons for this are available on Hulu?

thanks!

I don't see back seasons on Hulu.  I found it and clicked on it, but it's the current season on "live tv."  I thought it was on Hulu, but maybe they removed the series?

The Bravo app may have the old seasons but I refuse to download the app.  

OH - found the early seasons on the Peacock app!

Edited by heatherchandler
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't see back seasons on Hulu.  I found it and clicked on it, but it's the current season on "live tv."  I thought it was on Hulu, but maybe they removed the series?

The Bravo app may have the old seasons but I refuse to download the app.  

OH - found the early seasons on the Peacock app!

Thanks so much!!

• Love 1