Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Masters Of Phantoms

On 9/14/2015 at 4:54 PM, algebra said:

Over the years I have read what I could about the trial of Anne Boleyn and came to two conclusions: Anne was innocent, and the five men who were accused with her were gay.

They only needed one lover to get Anne. Why were five innocent men sacrificed for the cause? Why was Lady Rochford willing to see her husband killed? What were the men doing that prompted other people to bear false witness against them?

My theory is that the five were gay, they would meet in Anne's apartments, Lady Rochford was disgusted by what was going on and thought they should all die. In those days nobody would weep for a bunch of gay guys falsely accused and executed for something they didn't do

Yes I’ve heard that theory too and it makes sense. Also most of the men accused with her (except Mark Smeaton) were a part of the same political group, executing them all was a good way to get rid of rivals at court. 

Yes beong gay was considered a crime and a sin (well not being gay but engaging in homosexual activity, being gay or straight wasn’t a concept socially); but with most things, if you were well liked and powerful you could do what you wanted with no repercussions. 

On 5/12/2015 at 11:47 AM, IndianPaintbrush said:

From a modern-day perspective it would have been hard not to stand there on the executioner's block and scream "F*ck you all and this whole sham of a trial!"  But I understand people were very worried about the state of their soul in the afterlife back then.

I actually think Anne was more concerned for Elizabeth’s well being than the state of her soul. Henry was batshit crazy at that point, but I’m sure as a mother she wouldn’t want to do anything to bring danger or harm to Elizabeth. Given how Henry ranted and raved about Anne’s infidelity and Elizabeth not being his, when the smoked cleared a bit he did provide for Elizabeth and had fatherly affection for her (by royal standards). Given the Bolyens were disgraced, Elizabeth would’ve had no one had Henry really turned his back on her. 

• Love 2
On 7/9/2015 at 12:23 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I don't think the show could have been improved upon.

But I have a question. I read Wolf Hall, although not the sequel. My question's pretty fundamental. Why was the first book (and hence the show) called Wolf Hall? I realize it's the home of the Seymours, but it seemed to me the Seymours were pretty incidental to the story in the first book. And even with the plot of the second book included in the show, the Seymours are not central to the goings-on. (I expect they will be central in the story from this point forward.) Mantel is such a good writer that I know there's a good reason the first book is called Wolf Hall. And I bet some of you understood that reason. 

Answering a three-year-old question, just because.

Other people have given slightly different answers upthread to this question, but my take on it is that Wolf Hall is where Henry VIII first becomes enamored with Jane Seymour, which is the event that caused the biggest shift in Cromwell's fortunes and spelled the downfall of Anne Boleyn. Once Henry steps foot into Wolf Hall on that particular day, the stage is set for the incredible, tragic soap opera to follow. 

• Love 1