Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime Original Movies: Mother, May I Escape From My Terminally Ill Dangerous Ex? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Did anyone else watch Love By The 10th Date?  I actually kind of liked it but mostly for the friend relationship.  Otherwise, other than the relationship between Nell and the bisexual guy* and Billie and her husband**, I found the two relationships a bit retro in a way***.

*I thought the casting of the guy from UnREAL to be interesting.  Not that there are many bisexual men on TV but rarely do they read as gay as Freddy did.  And I think it added to her insecurity even if she could rationally wrap her mind around dating someone bi.

**It was a nice change that the open marriage was Billie driven vs. that of her husband. 

***I did not love that Dante/Gaby essentially started with him judging her appearance and wondering if she were "groomed."  And then he acts betrayed after the kiss even though he didn't tell her how he felt and shoved in her face multiple times that he was a player by bringing women he spends the night with to pick her up or leaving panties in the car.  C'mon.  

Although her reaction to her ex was unbalanced--twice.  I couldn't figure out if we were supposed to see him as the bad guy in the situation.

And Margot/her love interest started in a similar way with him wondering when the last time she had sex was.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2017 at 2:38 PM, Irlandesa said:

Did anyone else watch Love By The 10th Date?  I actually kind of liked it but mostly for the friend relationship.  Otherwise, other than the relationship between Nell and the bisexual guy* and Billie and her husband**, I found the two relationships a bit retro in a way***.

*I thought the casting of the guy from UnREAL to be interesting.  Not that there are many bisexual men on TV but rarely do they read as gay as Freddy did.  And I think it added to her insecurity even if she could rationally wrap her mind around dating someone bi.

**It was a nice change that the open marriage was Billie driven vs. that of her husband. 

***I did not love that Dante/Gaby essentially started with him judging her appearance and wondering if she were "groomed."  And then he acts betrayed after the kiss even though he didn't tell her how he felt and shoved in her face multiple times that he was a player by bringing women he spends the night with to pick her up or leaving panties in the car.  C'mon.  

Although her reaction to her ex was unbalanced--twice.  I couldn't figure out if we were supposed to see him as the bad guy in the situation.

And Margot/her love interest started in a similar way with him wondering when the last time she had sex was.

Hi I started watching this last night but fell asleep! (Sadly) the friend relationships looked very interesting and true to life. I am going to make an effort to watch all the way through this weekend. 

I like any LMN movie that stars Josie Davis.  "The Perfect Assistant" and "Backstabbed," to name just two of her best.  

Tracy Nelson is another favorite of mine.  I loved her in "The Rival" and "The Perfect  Nanny."  

Some of the more recent Lifetime movies are terrible, in my opinion, and that applies to the acting and the storylines.  "The Secret Sex Life of a Single Mom" (2014) is one that goes in the "truly terrible" bucket.   Ditto for Big Driver (2014), Killer Coach (2016), Turbulence (2016), Bad Twin, and Open Marriage (2017). None of these hit the mark for me.  I'm also tiring of LMN's detective/crime offerings.  I can get my fill of all things mysterious and macabre on Investigation Discovery.   

There have been some good ones from LMN, though, too, most notably Stolen from the Womb (2014), Fatal Flip (2015)-  honestly, though, give me anything with Mike Faiola, good or bad, and I'll like it, Nightmare Nurse (2016) , Don't Wake Mommy (2015), and Perfect High (2015). Another big favorite - not one of mine, but in general - seems to be Bad Sister (2015), the one about the fake nun who takes a teaching job at a private Catholic school, but who teaches way more than the three R's. 

Going backwards several years, I also really liked Reviving Ophelia, a LMN gem from 2010 that addressed physical abuse among teens.  

Other older, but superb, LMN presentations with subject matter relating to young people include She's Too Young, Too Young to be a Dad, Mom at 16, and Double Daddy.  All of these addressed sexual activity - and its repercussions - among teenagers.   All of them were top-notch.

Another oldie, but goodie, that covered the age-old topic of a decent wife, the other woman, and a scheming, two-timing, husband, was Deadly Vows.  I've seen it two or three times since its release in 1994 and never get tired of watching the great acting of cheater hubby Gerald Rainey, Peggy Lipton as his wife, and Josie Bissett in the role of,"Bobbi," the naive and much younger, other woman.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2015 at 0:01 AM, turbogirlnyc said:

I admit I got sucked in by Sugar Daddies late last night. It was cheese but what's new? Immediately following Sugar Daddies, I started watching Sugar Babbies until I realized they were basically the same exact movie with different actors. Why am I even surprised?

I thought Sugar Daddies was excellent.  Peter Strauss, who played the sugar daddy with the choking fetish, was made for that role.  I can still hear his condescending snarl, "What did you think this was going to be? A relationship?"  

Oh, I forgot about the Betty Broderick story, BitterApple.  And I also didn't realize that Josie Davis is the teacher in "Dirty Teacher."  I'll have to re-watch that one; it's been a while.  And I thought of another really good one I watched recently.  The Client List, with Jennifer Love Hewitt in the main role. 

On the flip side, I've decided to add one more to my "truly terrible" list.  It aired last night here in the Southeast Pa. area (Tues., 3/28/17).   It was so unmemorable that I can't even recall the name of the movie or any significant details.  I seem to recall something about the husband or boyfriend working in construction, and that the girlfriend or wife goes to look for him at the construction site and finds someone dead...?   As I said, it was so forgettable that I didn't watch more than, say, ten minutes of it.  That's how long it took for me to know it was total crap.  The acting was AWFUL, so bad that it was embarrassing to watch.  The actors talked in slow motion, as though they had just taken sedatives or something. (Heh, it is a Lifetime movie, after all.)  Anyway, if anyone knows the name of it please do tell so I can make sure to avoid it in the future.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 1
(edited)

One I really liked from 2005 was called Odd Girl Out.  I thought that was well made.

Problem with most of the Lifetime movies recently as that even if they are bad....they can be entertainingly bad but then the last 10 or 15 minutes are just bad.  Like when nobody waits for the police.  The victim hits the the guy (or girl) once and runs.  When they are about to shoot the victims and someone comes up from  behind and shoots or hits them.  When they don't pick up the gun that the criminal drops.  When the bad guy or girl kills everyone and then confesses to the main character everything he or she did with a sinister voice and laugh while waiving the gun around.  So many cliches.  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 2

Can I tell you how much I have to watch Meredith Baxter in the 2 Betty Broderick movies? Holy goodness is she good and the crazy part is how well she is at being crazy and yet true story!! I am riveted every time I watch it. She deserved all the praise for it.

Lifetime and LMN are my go to's for some crazy movies. I always seem to turn them on my days off and watch. Some are really bad and yet I watch them....sigh maybe I need to find a better hobby...

• Love 3
(edited)

Today I've been watching the Stalked By My Doctor series. Eric Roberts certainly does creepy very well. This doctor is completely disgusting. First off, he's old enough to be these girl's grandfather and secondly he's a doctor whose is violating every level of respect and confidentiality towards his patients, not to mention the law by kidnapping and sexually violating young women. Argh. 

What's also frustrating about this series is the parents being so indifferent to what this man is doing. In the first movie, when the father of the girl being stalked learned of his inappropriate behavior towards his daughter he tried to brush it off as boys will be boys?! WTF! The wife had to tear him a new one to convince him to go and confront the doctor about his behavior. I know this is Lifetime, but that was completely unrealistic. I don't know any father who'd be so calm about their daughter being sexually harassed by a grown ass man. Most I know would've been ready to kick his ass and the wife would've had to try and talk him out of it. 

Then in the Stalked By My Doctor: The Return, the mom refuses to believe her daughter when she says the guy hit on her. Now that was realistic. I've seen it happen a few times to friends. Stupid mother choosing her sleezy boyfriend over her child. SMH. 

Anyway, this series is disgusting and I really don't want to watch it, but I can't look away. LOL. So I will see it through to the end. Sigh.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I also love the Lifetime movies with crazy nannies or neighbors. Any ones with Josie Davis are good too but she needs to lay off the Botox. I wish lifetime would hire me as a sceenwriter- if the movies were just a tiny bit more believable! I just watched one where a woman was being treated by her psychiatrist neighbor and started getting news clippings and calls warning her away. Of course she doesn't show any of this to her husband and he doesn't believe her. 

Anyone see the movie Hit & Run with Margaret Colin?

She accidentally hits the little girl riding her bike, she leaves to call for help (no cell phones), and when she returns, the police are there and rush her out of the scene.  She tries so hard to tell her husband, but things get complicated and she just can't.  When she finally tells him, about a week later, he divorces her and she loses all her friends.  My heart breaks for her in that movie.  She is so tortured.  Her husband is an ass, and with friends like hers, who needs enemies!!!!

• Love 4
On April 15, 2017 at 8:26 PM, Dejana said:

Lifetime's going Ripped From The Headlines next Saturday, with New York Prison Break: The Seduction of Joyce Mitchell:

Watching it right now. If they are trying to make me feel sorry for her, they have failed. I have no patience or pity for women that get involved with convicted murderers. And what did her poor husband do to deserve getting cheated on.

Ugh. It's women like this that were the reason why Pink wrote "Stupid Girls."

• Love 1

I watched the Prison Break movie too, but found it very entertaining and some first-rate trash. I don't think we were meant to feel any sympathy for Joyce. She was a not-too-bright woman living in a fantasy world, and though she thought of herself as lonely, she did have a husband who was devoted to her, and did sleep with her, and tried to take care of her. Plenty of women would love to have that, even if he was ordinary (and she certainly was, too.)

She dismissed all that (while still benefiting from it, of course) to chase what she saw as a couple of alpha male bad boys on a romantic fantasy. Even when talking about murdering her own husband it didn't become real until the last minute and *then* she panicked. 

The movie sure made a good case for not letting women supervise male inmates and viceversa, unless you want this kind of stuff going on. I think the moral of the story was that reality is better than fantasy - and that murderers are locked up for a reason.

The "biography" episode about the real Joyce Mitchell is on Lifetime tonight.

• Love 2

I'll pretty much watch any movie with Josie Davis or Jamie Luner.

The first Stalked by My Doctor made me LOL at the end with the cheesiness of her boyfriend dropping his crutches and running towards her. I kind of rolled my eyes at the end of the second one where they hint at a possibility of a third movie. But if there was a third one, I would watch. I don't know why I get sucked into these movies!

Watching Manny Dearest. How does any woman let a strange man into her house, gives him a key and unlimited access to her kids within minutes of meeting him? Stooopid. 

Every mishap she endured because of his insanity was her own doing IMO. 

• Love 3
(edited)

As Lifetime movies go Mommys Prison Secret was a lot of fun.  I rather enjoyed it.  i thought all the charcters had chemistry especially Megan and Taylor.  Of course some of it was predictable but other parts were fairly intriguing. Although I did hope for a sex scene between Megan and TaylorZ  other then that as Lifetime movies go this one was fairly good.

And yes most lifetime movies involve a certain amount of stupidity but the good ones explain it away or at least are entertaining enough to make it worth it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

Myko Oliver has really cute legs. That's about all I got out of the new Lifetime Menendez movie. (Why that case seems to be getting dusted off for t.v interpretations, I'm not sure.) I normally find Nico Tortorella cute but his Lyle wig wasn't working for me.

And Courtney Love is good with playing damaged, brittle people. She seemed pretty believable as a woman who just stuck her fingers in her ears and went "Lalalalala" while her kids were getting abused. It's a shame she ruined the nascent acting career she had back in the 90's.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 6/26/2017 at 6:47 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Myko Oliver has really cute legs. That's about all I got out of the new Lifetime Menendez movie. (Why that case seems to be getting dusted off for t.v interpretations, I'm not sure.) I normally find Nico Tortorella cute but his Lyle wig wasn't working for me.

And Courtney Love is good with playing damaged, brittle people. She seemed pretty believable as a woman who just stuck her fingers in her ears and went "Lalalalala" while her kids were getting abused. It's a shame she ruined the nascent acting career she had back in the 90's.

I thought the same about Tortorella, lol. Courtney Love is great, she just needs to lay off the plastic surgery. Loved her look in the late 90's, and her music overall.

On 4/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, ThisOne said:

The first Stalked by My Doctor made me LOL at the end with the cheesiness of her boyfriend dropping his crutches and running towards her. I kind of rolled my eyes at the end of the second one where they hint at a possibility of a third movie. But if there was a third one, I would watch. I don't know why I get sucked into these movies!

Does Josie Davis have a contract with Lifetime? Haha

On 4/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, ThisOne said:

I am watching Stalked By My Doctor: The Return right now. I just finished the 1st. I'm starting to think Eric Roberts is a creep for real, he's just too good at that character. He just made up a positive STD panel for the girl he's obsessed with. These movies are crazy.

• Love 1

Where was the drama in Trapped Sisters? The fiberglass pool cover still left them enough room to breathe and even stand up in the water. It would have been uncomfortable but they could have just waited out the weekend. I know the one sister was diabetic but that didn't seem life-threatening to me. 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:56 AM, ButterQueen said:

She accidentally hits the little girl riding her bike, she leaves to call for help (no cell phones), and when she returns, the police are there and rush her out of the scene.  She tries so hard to tell her husband, but things get complicated and she just can't.  When she finally tells him, about a week later, he divorces her and she loses all her friends.  My heart breaks for her in that movie.  She is so tortured.  Her husband is an ass, and with friends like hers, who needs enemies!!!!

That's actually a good one.  It guilt and how someone deals with fear.   I think her husband isn't really an ass but more someone who has no idea how to deal with his own hurt.  She did spend weeks lying to him.  This mostly deals with the woman and a female police officer who pretty quickly suspects her of the hit and run and wants her to confess before she has to arrest her. 

I tend to like drug movies so most recently I watched Perfect High with Bella Thorne.  I've never really heard of her before.  Probably because I am old and alot of younger actresses....anyway I liked the way the movie dealt with a teenagers growing drug problem and how it started to begin with.  A legitimate accident leads to a doctors prescription leads to sharing of pills with friends leads to buying pills from drug deals leads to snorting and smoking them leads to herion.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:28 PM, Chaos Theory said:

That's a good one. I didn't feel anyone was "wrong" with how they reacted or felt. She wanted to confess at first, but then tried to hide it based on all the reactions around her. I can't blame her husband or the other mothers with how they reacted when they found out. As much as I love all the over-the-top, cheesy, campy movies these days, I sometimes miss the "teaches you a lesson" or "after-school special" type of TV movies.

Is anyone else going to be tuned in to this weekend's marathons? Looks like Friday night will be Ashley Scott movies and Saturday night will be Josie Davis movies. Can't go wrong with either of those actresses!

Where was the drama in Trapped Sisters? The fiberglass pool cover still left them enough room to breathe and even stand up in the water. It would have been uncomfortable but they could have just waited out the weekend. I know the one sister was diabetic but that didn't seem life-threatening to me. 

Watching this now, and they mentioned it was a "holiday weekend." As far as I know, 3 days without food would be very bad for a diabetic. And that crazy janitor messing with them doesn't help.

Edited by ThisOne

I watched sea change, so confused. The end didn't feel like the end, it left a bunch of stuff unanswered. I guess at one point it was going to be a series, but they switched to a movie. I attempted to find book spoilers but no luck so far 

That's where I am, as well.  I looked at the clock when there were five minutes left, and thought, wow, they are really going to wrap this up in a hurry!  But they really didn't, they finished very abruptly, and I don't know what actually happened at the end, or get answers to questions I had earlier.

Who were her parents, actually?  I seems she was part selkie, so which parent did it come from?  Or were neither of who she thought were her parents selkies and her mother had an affair with someone who was?  What part did TJ's father have in this - he seemed to be involved somehow.  At the end, after the "kiss of death", did Leo try to kill her?  Did her mother kill Leo?  Will she  now die, after that kiss of death? or not because she is part selkie?  Were all the selkies leaving at the end?  I thought that was their island.  Why were the rich people called "the heirs"?

I hope someone can sort this all out...

7 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

I watched sea change, so confused. The end didn't feel like the end, it left a bunch of stuff unanswered. I guess at one point it was going to be a series, but they switched to a movie. I attempted to find book spoilers but no luck so far 

Sounds like the same thing that happened with A Midsummer's Nightmare. That was supposed to be s series and then got pushed back for months then this summer it was randomly aired on a weeknight at like 11pm as a TV Movie with no promotion.

I guess now Lifetime does not want filmed pilots to go to waste so they're airing them as movies.

I think or hoping that The Lost Wife of Robert Durst wont be terrible.  When I watched The Vampire Diaries I liked Daniel Gillies so I know he wont be as bad as some of the people they cast. 

This could still be bad but since they have source material to work that might help. I thought The Girl in the Box was decent for a lifetime movie.

I think they are using the book “A Deadly Secret: The Bizarre and Chilling Story of Robert Durst,” by veteran journalist Matt Birkbeck as the main source material.

• Love 1

I tend to DVR all of these Lifetime movies and then forget to watch them for awhile so I forget when this was originally aired, but it was called Unwritten Obsession. Has anyone seen it?

I do hope we weren't supposed to sympathize with the victim. She got off easy compared to other Lifetime Movie Victims! She submitted her dead fiancé's book (that she may or may not have killed) under her name to get her big break and planned to do that with the other girl's manuscript too. And then at the end of the movie she changed her appearance, changed her name, and went trolling for more writers she could "mentor"?

• Love 2

Did anyone watch the Oscar Pistorius movie? It was so bad but I could not stop watching. They made a 4 month relationship seem so long and kept going back and forth in the timeline. The worst part was the over-dramatization of him walking on stumps in the courtroom.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, Jadzia said:

Did anyone watch the Oscar Pistorius movie? It was so bad but I could not stop watching. They made a 4 month relationship seem so long and kept going back and forth in the timeline. The worst part was the over-dramatization of him walking on stumps in the courtroom.

I did and it was not even good.  The old made for TV movies were great and would follow the real story better.

Lifetime knows at least not to take it self seriously.  I hope they do because it shows.

Looking forward to this next week

Christmas is one of Heather’s (Tatyana Ali, "Fresh Prince of Bel Air") favorite times of year but this year, as the manager of the upscale Town Center Mall, she has to be the Christmas Grinch and cancel the leases of under-performing stores. One afternoon, Heather’s niece, Molly asks the mall Santa to help find a boyfriend for her beloved aunt. Unbeknownst to Molly and Heather, “Santa” is actually Ryan (Brendan Fehr, "Guardians of the Galaxy"), who is working at the mall for the holidays and helping his Aunt Patty run her failing toy store. As Heather and Ryan begin to fall for each other, they have no idea of one another's true identity: Heather who is tasked with closing his aunt's store and Ryan who is too ashamed to tell Heather that he is the actually the mall Santa. Will Molly's Christmas wish come true, or will Heather be stuck as the Town Center Grinch?

wrapped-up-in-christmas-3.jpg

• Love 2

That Elizabeth Smart movie was difficult to watch. Just brutal.

I thought it was sad how so much of her narration seemed to be about justifying why she did not run away sooner. Was she really criticized for that? That is awful if people were doing that. I can't imagine going through what she did and at such a young age.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Jadzia said:

I thought it was sad how so much of her narration seemed to be about justifying why she did not run away sooner. Was she really criticized for that? That is awful if people were doing that. I can't imagine going through what she did and at such a young age.

Yes. She was crucified by many people for not running away sooner. My biggest complaint about the movie is that they made it seem like she admitted who she was right away and then they handcuffed her. The autobiography that A&E just aired this past week detailed that it took them about 45 minutes to convince her to admit who she was, even after they held the flier right next to her face and said they knew who she was. She was still afraid of her captors. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jadzia said:

There are always people who can't understand why someone like Elizabeth Smart did not walk away or speak up when it seems she had a chance to do so - people who have no understanding of what death threats directed at her and her family and daily sexual assault can do to a child's mind, and what master manipulators these predators can be.  What I found really sad was that there were several times people thought something was wrong or odd about Mitchell and his "family" when they were in public, but they allowed themselves to be convinced by Mitchell that nothing was wrong.  If they could be manipulated by Mitchell, how can anyone condemn a child who was being raped repeatedly and was constantly told that her family would be killed if she tried to escape?  

I also questioned that part of the movie, Whimsy, about her almost immediately admitting that she was Elizabeth Smart.  I too thought she continued to deny it until she had been at the police station for a while, and that she addressed that in her book.  

I was glad that a few years ago I saw the TV movie about Elizabeth that was based on the book her father had written, which provided details on the initial search for her, how it took her sister a long time to realize where she had seen the kidnapper before, and the reluctance of law enforcement to believe the sister, since this new movie was told from Elizabeth's perspective of her time in captivity.  

• Love 1

oI'm watching Elizabeth talk to Dr. Drew right now (on A&E). Dr. Drew had a good point, people are so afraid of being powerless in their lives that they simply can't relate to Elizabeth having no power in the situation. So they have to think they would have talked, they would have run away. They can't let themselves believe their power can be taken away under any circumstances. I remember when she was rescued, this "why didn't she talk" kept coming up and I thought "I'll bet he threatened to kill her family" - sure enough...

I think of when Oprah would do shows on rape, kidnapping, etc. She drove it home over and over - you do whatever you have to do to survive. If Elizabeth tried to talk or run, she most likely would not be here today.

The part in the movie that tore me up was when Elizabeth accidentally talked about her cousin (?) Olivia, and Mitchell went to kidnap her. Elizabeth was so scared that he would really get her, but at the same time she thought about how she wouldn't be alone anymore. Ugh, I can't even imagine how awful that was for her! So happy he didn't get Olivia.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the too-clean hair. It should have been greasy and dirty.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

There are always people who can't understand why someone like Elizabeth Smart did not walk away or speak up when it seems she had a chance to do so - people who have no understanding of what death threats directed at her and her family and daily sexual assault can do to a child's mind, and what master manipulators these predators can be.  What I found really sad was that there were several times people thought something was wrong or odd about Mitchell and his "family" when they were in public, but they allowed themselves to be convinced by Mitchell that nothing was wrong.  If they could be manipulated by Mitchell, how can anyone condemn a child who was being raped repeatedly and was constantly told that her family would be killed if she tried to escape?  

I also questioned that part of the movie, Whimsy, about her almost immediately admitting that she was Elizabeth Smart.  I too thought she continued to deny it until she had been at the police station for a while, and that she addressed that in her book.  

I was glad that a few years ago I saw the TV movie about Elizabeth that was based on the book her father had written, which provided details on the initial search for her, how it took her sister a long time to realize where she had seen the kidnapper before, and the reluctance of law enforcement to believe the sister, since this new movie was told from Elizabeth's perspective of her time in captivity.  

I believe they probably just had her admit who she was quickly in the movie because of time constraints. The two hour format really makes it impossible to capture every aspect of this story accurately. For example, the hike up to the camp was very difficult and took hours. They didn't get to the camp until the sun had started to come up. I also remember from reading her book, that Mitchell made her throw away that radio playing Christmas music after a few minutes and then he preceded to listen to the one he had been given to make her feel more horrible. It would have been more realistic if they at least played it a minute or two more in the movie though. But yeah, 9 months is a long time and there were plenty of things they didn't include from the book.

I thought it was a decent movie though. I think the A&E documentary covered more accurately what her captivity was like because they did switch a few things in the movie. 

I totally understand why she's defensive. There are still people out there questioning her which I find absurd and pretty offensive. 

• Love 2

It breaks my heart that she still has to defend herself, or ever had to defend herself. She was a freaking child! She was a victim. She was alone, she was being mentally and physically abused and she did whatever she had to to survive. All those jackasses who say "Oh, I would have said something" would all be dead. She's alive. Not only alive, but shockingly well adjusted. I'm pretty sure I'd be a total mess if I survived what she did.

• Love 9

Did anyone watch "A Tale of Two Corey's"? I thought it was really good. The previews made it seem as if it would be more about the abuse they suffered, I didn't realize it would be a two hour advertisement for a 1980's party, lol. That being said I did quite enjoy it. I didn't know there was an interview special with Feldman premiering after, so I have it set to record at 3 am so I can watch it in the morning.