Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime Original Movies: Mother, May I Escape From My Terminally Ill Dangerous Ex? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Netflix has had some of the Lifetime movies on..Gotta say the one with Gary Cole as a serial killer, cross dressing Officer was one for the books....I know that's a true story but Cole really nailed the part...

Then today, I watched the Carlina White Story....and although I felt bad for the birth mother, I just wanted Sherri Sheperd's character to back off....That poor girl went through the tinger and has a billion things to process...and it made it seem ;like the girl was after the money...

Plus, as wrong as the woman was that kidnapped her was....I sorta melted when she saw her grandkid....

• Love 1

Ahhhh yesss a place where I can let my Lifetime movie flag fly. I was perusing the On Demand Lifetime catalog and came across a movie about some high school girls who need money so they turn to hooking. The main character is concerned about paying for college, which is why she does it. I was half amused and half amazed at the fact that "the paper" published a story about her based on almost such thin logic. Like, it was halfway to libel, based on what they knew. And here are three seventeen year old girls hooking, mostly to pay for college, and the reaction is "you terrible human beings" and not "that is so beyond messed up that college is expensive enough that prostitution seemed like a reasonable option." And yet, the acting was semi-decent. Has anyone else seen this one?

So, at the end of The Spirit for Christmas, are we supposed to assume that Daniel has been allowed to be human again for real, given that he needed a coat and we actually see him breathing through the cold air at the end? I kinda knew we'd have to get the super-happy ending, but I kind of wanted something like Both Sides of Time's trilogy.

Eh. Daniel was pretty hot, so I liked staring at him. He reminded me how much I love Victorian era guys. Although really, he seemed old-fashioned even for someone from 1919/1920.

I looked up the actor's instagram. He rocks that whole hipster/lumberjack/steam punk look pretty damn well. Unsurprisingly, the guy's from Canada as this was very obviously filmed in Canada.

Your description of the actor is great.

Actually, it was filmed in Massachusetts this January/February during the non-stop snowstorms. The main inn that was used for all of the interiors and close up exteriors has posted about it a lot, since it is good publicity for them. Guess that explains why he was okay being out in the cold with not much covering at times. They posted:

"Actually, the majority of #TheSpiritofChristmas was filmed at the Proctor Mansion Inn in Wrentham MA. Little known fact is that the script called for a long distance shot of the front of the Inn. Since the Proctor Mansion Inn is in the heart of Wrentham's town center, the Harding Estate exterior was used for the distance shot (plus a garden scene and the bar). All the other shots- ball room, stain glass doors, grand stair case, bedrooms, kitchen, dinning room, parlor, front porches, etc etc are the Proctor Mansion Inn."

"The main filming location for #TheSpiritofChristmas was the Proctor Mansion Inn in Wrentham MA. It was filmed in January and February 2015 during the historic snow storms of New England USA! The snow fall broke historic records and a state of emergency was called in the end. The shots in the front lawn and on the porches of the Proctor Mansion Inn were done in -6degree weather and 5 foot snow piles! Despite the weather the cast and crew were amazing! Jen Lilley (as Kate), Thomas Beaudoin (as Daniel), David Jackson (director) & Michael Negrin (Director of Photography) stayed at the Proctor Mansion Inn during the weeks of filming."

Edited by VMepicgrl

For those of you who enjoyed the actor in Spirit of Christmas, I actually stumbled on a version with additional scenes that were deleted from the live show, including a scene of him shirtless. I am visiting my family briefly. We are Jewish, so my mom was asking for something to watch since there is nothing on and nothing to do. She wanted a mystery or something. We found that Spirit of Christmas was OnDemand with Verizon and decided to watch. I was surprised to see a few additional scenes, including the shirtless one. He was ironing his shirt when Kate stumbled upon "his room." So if anyone appreciated the actor physically, you may want to search it out. ;-)

• Love 2

For those of you who enjoyed the actor in Spirit of Christmas, I actually stumbled on a version with additional scenes that were deleted from the live show, including a scene of him shirtless. I am visiting my family briefly. We are Jewish, so my mom was asking for something to watch since there is nothing on and nothing to do. She wanted a mystery or something. We found that Spirit of Christmas was OnDemand with Verizon and decided to watch. I was surprised to see a few additional scenes, including the shirtless one. He was ironing his shirt when Kate stumbled upon "his room." So if anyone appreciated the actor physically, you may want to search it out. ;-)

Saw it again today ondemand and noticed the shirtless scene (just as I was thinking how I wish we saw him shirtless), I don't remember what other scenes were not in the original movie. I REALLY REALLY like the actor...and the movie too.

• Love 1

Saw it again today ondemand and noticed the shirtless scene (just as I was thinking how I wish we saw him shirtless), I don't remember what other scenes were not in the original movie. I REALLY REALLY like the actor...and the movie too.

I'd missed the beginning but then caught the whole movie OnDemand...I loved that the beginning basically flipped the whole "woman thinks she's getting proposed to but is actually getting dumped so she's gobsmacked" trope that most of these movies have.

• Love 1

I admit I got sucked in by Sugar Daddies late last night. It was cheese but what's new? Immediately following Sugar Daddies, I started watching Sugar Babbies until I realized they were basically the same exact movie with different actors. Why am I even surprised?

Yeah, Sugar Daddies was predictable and boring.  However, I actually thought the sugar daddy's bodyguard had a thing for the SD, because he seemed a little too into his job, and he went out of his way to antagonize the girls the SD hooked up with.  Would have been more interesting than the ex-con angle.

Anyone see Stolen from the Womb?  I watched it because I'm a fan of Larisa "Alex Mack" Oleynik.  The movie definition from Comcast is misleading though; it makes it look like the actual baby theft and the hernia surgery is the whole gist of the film when it only occurs in the last ten minutes.  The plot is really about Chelsey ingratiating herself into Diane's life so she can get close to her and Rob and then take their baby.   

Not a great movie, but I give it credit for giving some real depth to Chelsey, because she could have just been mustache-twirling through the whole thing.  Despite what she did, I felt for her a little in the end.  She lost everything that mattered and seemed utterly broken, rather than just unhinged.  I'm guessing money was an issue between her and Jesse, because I never heard them mention adoption or surrogacy once they learned Chelsey could no longer conceive.

Jesse was hot, btw.  Wish he had been Diane's hubby, because Rob was bordering on too old for Diane.  

Amethyst, I just watched Stolen From The Womb today. The guy who played Jesse may have been a good looking guy, but he's a HORRIBLE actor. I'm used to bad acting in these Lifetime movies but this guy was one of the worst I've seen.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch The Preachers Sin? I thought this was a pretty good one for Lifetime standards.

Yes, the acting was great, particularly JR Bourne, and the guy who played his unreasonable, greedy boss.

Did anybody watch the movie with Eric Roberts called Stalked by my Doctor?

I was kind of surprised to see him in a Lifetime movie but I thought it was pretty good

Eric Roberts plays psycho very well.

Oh, so true about Eric Roberts;  he plays psychos exceedingly well, but he is, all in all, a fine actor.  I was kind of awed by that head of hair he's got. I'm assuming it's the real thing?

Yeah, Sugar Daddies was predictable and boring.  However, I actually thought the sugar daddy's bodyguard had a thing for the SD, because he seemed a little too into his job, and he went out of his way to antagonize the girls the SD hooked up with.  Would have been more interesting than the ex-con angle.

Anyone see Stolen from the Womb?  I watched it because I'm a fan of Larisa "Alex Mack" Oleynik.  The movie definition from Comcast is misleading though; it makes it look like the actual baby theft and the hernia surgery is the whole gist of the film when it only occurs in the last ten minutes.  The plot is really about Chelsey ingratiating herself into Diane's life so she can get close to her and Rob and then take their baby.   

Not a great movie, but I give it credit for giving some real depth to Chelsey, because she could have just been mustache-twirling through the whole thing.  Despite what she did, I felt for her a little in the end.  She lost everything that mattered and seemed utterly broken, rather than just unhinged.  I'm guessing money was an issue between her and Jesse, because I never heard them mention adoption or surrogacy once they learned Chelsey could no longer conceive.

Jesse was hot, btw.  Wish he had been Diane's hubby, because Rob was bordering on too old for Diane.  

Wow, "Stolen from the Womb" was a good one. Well acted all the way around.  Just so disturbing that it was based on a true story.  I, too, felt a sliver of sympathy for the baby thief/Chelsea.

For anyone who liked this movie, just to let you know that there is an Investigative Discovery version of this story (with reenactments) and one more that is very similar.   Both of these are showing now on Comcast Infinity's On Demand selection on the "Investigative Discovery" network, under the show, "Web of Lies." 

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 1

I never thought I'd become such a fanatic for Lifetime movies.  Just this week I saw two that I really liked.  One was "The Rival" with my favorite LMN actress, Tracy Nelson, who was playing her psycho wife role spectacularly, as usual.  The other was Dark Beauty, about a successful attorney who marries a younger woman who is pregnant by another man, and has a questionable past. He has been warned about her but he is head-over-heels in love with her and, well, you just have to watch...

I thought another one worthy of mention was "What She Knew" starring Amber Tamblen. The movie is a very subtle, deeply moving portrayal of a teenager whose baby winds up dead.  For those who have not seen it I won't say more and haven't given anything away by mentioning the fact that the child dies, because it's right there in the movie description.  The key scene in this movie can be summed up in two words: Extremely disturbing.   I'll add a few more, too, about Amber T.   She is an enormously talented actresss.  This is the first time I'd ever seen her in any performance.  

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 2

I never thought I'd become such a fanatic for Lifetime movies.  Just this week I saw two that I really liked.  One was "The Rival" with my favorite LMN actress, Tracy Nelson, who was playing her psycho wife role spectacularly, as usual.

Non-traditional surrogacy was also explored The Surrogacy Trap, which starred Fake Cher Horrowitz and Katherine from Not Another Teen Movies. I enjoyed that the people in the movie weren't as dumb as they usually were in the movies- they pretty much knew from almost the word go that Fake Cher was crazypants but they were trying to placate her as she was pregnant with their baby.

Edited by methodwriter85

I love a good (and a bad) Lifetime movie.  Last night I thoroughly enjoyed Don't Wake Mommy and last week's Stalked By My Doctor (LOL at that ridiculous name).  I knew Eric Roberts could play a good psycho because he's played one before, but I was most impressed by Sara Rue's turn as a psycho killer.

• Love 1

Ahhhh yesss a place where I can let my Lifetime movie flag fly. I was perusing the On Demand Lifetime catalog and came across a movie about some high school girls who need money so they turn to hooking. The main character is concerned about paying for college, which is why she does it. I was half amused and half amazed at the fact that "the paper" published a story about her based on almost such thin logic. Like, it was halfway to libel, based on what they knew. And here are three seventeen year old girls hooking, mostly to pay for college, and the reaction is "you terrible human beings" and not "that is so beyond messed up that college is expensive enough that prostitution seemed like a reasonable option." And yet, the acting was semi-decent. Has anyone else seen this one?

I saw one like that, they were baby-sitters and sleeping with the fathers of clients, right? It was pretty entertaining, despite the ridiculous plot. I just remember how sad it seemed that the main girl got un-accepted from her college of choice because of the prostitute thing and that seemed worse to her than possibly going to jail. I can't remember if the guy she was sleeping with got in trouble for how he manipulated her into starting the whole thing.

I have to ask...who/what is "fake Cher Horowitz?".

The women in these movies all seem to think that breathing heavily is good acting apparently.

Rachel Blanchard. She played Cher in the T.V. version of Clueless that ran for like three years.

It's kind of funny- everyone remembers Clueless, but no one remembers the t.v. show anymore.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

So many of these movies (like Don't Wake Mommy) go from entertainingly bad to just bad in the last 10 or 15 minutes. Usually right around the time the victim confronts the psycho by themselves without calling the police.

I would love to know why Lifetime has stopped showing, "Trapped in a Purple Haze." 

With heroin abuse spiraling out of control in certain areas of the U.S., it would seem a perfect time to air this movie.

Lifetime's original description of the movie: "A student's bright future is darkened when a new college friend encourages him to experiment with drugs."

(The drug, incidentally, is heroin.)

After googling the name of the movie I see lots of references but not much linking it to Lifetime anymore, which makes me wonder if the network no longer has rights to it.

So many of these movies (like Don't Wake Mommy) go from entertainingly bad to just bad in the last 10 or 15 minutes. Usually right around the time the victim confronts the psycho by themselves without calling the police.

I just watched this one! The title sucked me in, I knew it was going to be wonderfully terrible. I was talking to the TV the entire time, but remained entertained until Beth started drugging Maya. The first drink was served at a restaurant...how the hell did she drug it?! Then I was just annoyed when she killed the co-worker/friend with the syringe of mystery poison she'd apparently just been carrying around this whole time.

• Love 3

Did anybody watch The Cheerleader Murders? I recorded it when it was on, & just go around to watching it. Holy crap was this bad. The first time we see the person who turned out to be the murderer, I knew it was them, it was so obvious. The "heroine" was so stupid (of the "I'm going to track down the murderer all by myself!" variety) I wanted bad things to happen to her. The whole thing was seriously bad.

• Love 2

Rachel Blanchard. She played Cher in the T.V. version of Clueless that ran for like three years.

It's kind of funny- everyone remembers Clueless, but no one remembers the t.v. show anymore.

The only reason I remember the TV show is because awhile back Teen Nick(not sure what the channel was called at the time Teen Nick or the N) was playing it all the time. 

On 11/7/2015 at 1:58 PM, Madding crowd said:

I don't know her name and maybe she was playing it for camp, but campy just doesn't play right in these types of movies.

Oh, so true.  That movie was a collossal mess. I hate these "campy" scripts.  I recognized the actor who played the cheater-turned-accomplice husband as Sam Page, the actor who played "Greg" in Mad Men. 

I saw another LMN disaster recently called, "Double Cross."  Talk about over-acting or bad acting or whatever. The actress who played Kathy, the "good wife," distracted me throughout the movie. Her bottom lip trembled whenever she was upset or heard bad news, and seemed so over the top and exaggerated. Not to mention her voice. I couldn't figure out if she was a man or a woman in the beginning of the movie. 

The movie, to some extent, was redeemed by the acting of Laura Soltis, who played the "bad wife."  Either way, the storyline did nothing to help the acting deficiency. The plot idea itself was clever and held great potential but it was poorly executed and included some ridiculous scenes. Just for starters:  Kathy refusing to enlist the services of her attorney - played predictably well by Barbara Niven - in tracking down the murderer of her (Kathy's) husband.  Another one: Scaredy-kat Kathy suddenly overcomes her timidity as she pulls a gun on James, demanding he go along with her scheme. Just dumb, and totally unbelievable. But then again, I have to keep reminding myself, this is a Lifetime movie. One of the bad ones.

One more thing, which is totally unrelated to any particular Lifetime presentation, but I do wonder sometimes if all, if not most, of the main male characters on these Lifetime movies are gay?  Not saying this to cause a war or break rules.  Just a general observation.  

Anyone see His Secret Family with Haylie Duff?  I actually thought the first hour was ok in building up suspense, but wow did it get dumb in the second half.  Sarah (Duff) could have just called the cops and said she found him, instead of some dumbass plan with her acting as bait.  I know all these movies have to have some grand fight scene between the spouses, but seriously, so freaking dumb and unnecessary.  The cops were equipped to deal with Jason's psychotic ass, and they already knew he had killed someone.  I loved how they totally ignored that part in the end, because chances are, dead lady was set to be wife #3.  

And the ages were odd, too.  Jason and Sarah looked about late twenties, early thirties, but his other (technically first) wife Emily looked to be in her forties.  Jason must have been a teen dad, because he looked awfully young to be a father of an 18 year old, as well as a 13 year old.  

BTW,Jason, you could have just left a note for Sarah saying you couldn't deal with a family and weren't coming back.  Instead of just disappearing, because people will, you know, look for you.  He made it a lot harder for himself.

Surprised that the ending didn't

Spoiler

have Jason dead and Sarah getting her son's marrow from one of Jason's other children.

because like the murdered woman, Jason's second wife was nothing more than an afterthought once she hung up the phone.

12 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Has anyone else seen the trailer for the newly "revamped" Mother Can I Sleep with Danger?  It's ridiculously awesome!  Can't wait.

My favorite part was, "From the twisted mind of James Franco".

• Love 4
(edited)

You May Now Kill The Bride was a good old-fashioned trashy Lifetime thriller featuring the psychotic woman obsessed with a blandly perfect man and his equally too-stupid-to-live love interest. I didn't see the twist coming

Spoiler

that the measurements for the original wedding dress belonged to the crazy stepsister, so she had a perfect dress to step in after yet another bride of his killed herself on her wedding day—

like that wasn't going to ring any alarm bells, but then, they do say that the craziest people don't seem to know it. And the ending! These are Lifetime movie characters, so I can say they deserve whatever happens to them.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Dejana said:

You May Now Kill The Bride was a good old-fashioned trashy Lifetime thriller featuring the psychotic woman obsessed with a blandly perfect man and his equally too-stupid-to-live love interest. I didn't see the twist coming

Reveal hidden contents

that the measurements for the original wedding dress belonged to the crazy stepsister, so she had a perfect dress to step in after yet another bride of his killed herself on her wedding day—

like that wasn't going to ring any alarm bells, but then, they do say that the craziest people don't seem to know it. And the ending! These are Lifetime movie characters, so I can say they deserve whatever happens to them.

I call BULLSHIT on

Crazy Stepsister still being alive after seemingly drowning in the tub and those two idiots forgiving her after everything she did. Especially when it was revealed she was still nuts.

Lifetime characters really do deserve whatever they get. Too bad the network lives to punish the poor innocent pets more.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I call BULLSHIT on

Reveal hidden contents

Crazy Stepsister still being alive after seemingly drowning in the tub and those two idiots forgiving her after everything she did. Especially when it was revealed she was still nuts.

Lifetime characters really do deserve whatever they get. Too bad the network lives to punish the poor innocent pets more.

Not only

Spoiler

forgiving her, which I could kind of see, if they tell themselves it was just messed up brain chemistry and not the "real her", but giving her a framed photo of their wedding to keep? That's not going to trigger any dark thoughts or horrible memories for her, or anything, even if she still hadn't been obsessed. And what sort of mental hospital lets patients have access to easily-broken glass? Also, you think family members would know better than to bring something that could be used for self-harm

but then those two were complete idiots, so...

• Love 1
(edited)
On May 27, 2016 at 7:38 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Has anyone else seen the trailer for the newly "revamped" Mother Can I Sleep with Danger?  It's ridiculously awesome!  Can't wait.

I'm disappointed this is not getting its own thread, given how large it looms in the TWoP and PTV pantheon! But I can't wait for the big ol' bloody trainwreck of camp this promises to be. Thank God Tori Spelling was available to work, amirite?

Judging from the trailer her acting has if anything gotten worse the past 20 years. She is the very model of the modern Perils of Pauline.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
was so excited to be here I forgot what I came to say
  • Love 3

Did anyone watch the new movie The Inherited that was new on Lifetime Movie Network last Sunday? (Even though IMDB said it is called Stranger In My House and premiered in 2015). Does anyone want to explain it to me?

For real, I couldn't figure out any discernable plot until practically 3/4 of the way end and then everything was so smashed together that I'm just very, very confused...

I saw it and it was pretty strange. I guess the main idea (and please don't read if you don't want to know what happened) is that his first wife died and was haunting the house pretending to be a maid. We never found out if she died of natural causes or not or I don't know why the new wife had a dead husband and child since it didn't add to the story at all.

I thought it was a mash up of the old movie Rebecca and one f the haunted house movies.

(edited)

I've watched a ridiculous amount of Lifetime movies lately. I haven't seen The Inheritied, but I did watch You May Now Kill the Bride (I agree -- classic trashy  yet entertaining Lifetime, with a ridiculous ending). I was really shocked when the best friend

Spoiler

was attacked in the parking garage

.And even more blown away when

Spoiler

the main character who "drowned" in the bathtub, but wasn't really dead, woke up just in time to knock out the villain with a conveniently placed weapon  before Crazy Audrey could stab her brother/would-be lover to death

. These things never happen in Lifetime movies!

Others I've seen recently include: Stalked By My Doctor (my favorite!); Mommy's Little Girl (which was highlighted by especially stellar acting --  plot-wise, this one was something like a cross between The Bad Seed and Child of Rage); The Stepchild (somewhat dull, but filled with familiar faces: Becky Baker from Degrassi, a much older-looking "John Sears", and Lauren Holly -- who appeared to have a "new face"); Honor Student (which had an ending even more laughably bad than You May Now Kill the Bride's); all of the "met online" movies (The Girl He Met Online is absolutely atrocious; the rest of them are all fairly entertaining, though, especially The Husband... and The Bride... ); and I Didn't Kill My Sister (which featured a grown-up Sue Scanlon as a woman suspected of... killing her sister. But she didn't! Or did she?)

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • Love 2

Did anyone watch the movie last night about Richard Ramirez?  Nightstalker?  Worst tv movie ever.  I thought it would be mostly about the murders and how he was caught.  Instead it focused on some lawyer (female) who was trying to get him to confess to an early killing of which someone else had been accused.

I know I have seen the actress before but can't remember...maybe a Law and Order episode.  The movie was mainly about her "issues" and how they tied into the crime spree 25 years earlier.  The actress was awful and had on either an bad wig or was a victim of a vengeful hairstylist.  

Lou Diamond Phillips was not on very much; but it was fascinating to watch his scenes with the female lead (which all took place in prison).  He seemed to sleepwalk through most of it...I will blame her because I usually love him.  lol

I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did.

Has anyone seen 16 and Missing? It was done last year about a girl who meets an older guy online and he turns out to be the person who killed her father years before? The timeline didn't make any sense but I gotta say, the guy who played the stalker dude wasn't half bad looking. I know terrible but at least he wasn't some old creeper. He was legit a good looking guy who of course ended up being crazy. 

Oh Lifetime never change! 

The one on last night was called The Wrong Child, and was really bad. Much of the story made no sense. It starred Viveca A Fox. She was married to this guy and she had a college age daughter from another marriage. A young guy shows up claiming to be the long list son of the husband. One of the siliest parts: the husband says he had a one night stand while he was single, he never heard from the woman again and eventually moved away. Viveca is furious that he moved and didn't give the one night stand his number in case she needed him in the future even though she had his number for over a year. The boy goes on a killing spree and no one seems to connect the dots. 

• Love 2

I knew that face the minute I saw him. Except for the age, he looks exactly the same to me.  I loved Buffy and Jody when I was a kid.  Tracy Nelson I wasn't sure about, I had to Google to see if it was her.   

I never noticed until this movie how terrible an actress Viveca Fox is,  I guess I haven't seen much that she's been in, she's really bad.  I noticed she also produced the movie, that's probably the only way she could get an acting role.  

• Love 2

I loved Buffy and Jody too. When I was a kid I used to imagine what it would be like to live in a NY apartment building and have a butler! I recognized Tracy Nelson right away but felt kind of sad she just had a small part-she used to get the leads in Lifetime Movies. I agree Viveca is not a great actress; she seemed really miscast here.

• Love 3