Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime Original Movies: Mother, May I Escape From My Terminally Ill Dangerous Ex? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Did anyone catch Let’s Get Physical ?  Bad title but I actually really liked it!  It was truly entertaining, snarky and funny - I could not believe I was watching a Lifetime movie.

Yes, I thought it was entertaining too. I liked the lead and felt bad about her going to prison. And the pole-lates workouts looked fun!

Going nuts thinking of a name of an older LT movie.  I believe it takes place in Canada (Montreal/Toronto maybe) Premise was a woman who found that someone has been using her identity decides to up and leave to go find her.  She takes up residence in what looks like the upstairs of a townhouse with a guy who lives on the bottom half who eventually becomes interested in her and tries to help.  She spends her days trying to track this woman down.  She ultimately finds her - I think she teaches music in her house and has a daughter in a private school - and confronts her.  I believe they wind up being allies when it's discovered the woman who had stolen the identity did so to go into hiding against the abusive father of her child.  

The actress playing the woman whose identity was stolen was petite with short, dark hair. There's no well known actor/actresses in this movie that I remember whom I can look up and view their filmography

I just watched Amish Sins.  It could have been much longer and more fleshed out to fully tell the story.  I had already seen Sins of the Amish on Peacock, but that was more of a documentary in style.

I live very close to a huge Amish population in Ohio and I hope that kind of behavior is rare, but I still can't help giving old Mose or Caleb the side eye when they drive by. 

• Love 1

Did anyone watch Swindler Seduction?  Holy crap, that was good and....intense.  I love watching documentaries on these types of situations and especially ones where the tables get turned on them

On 10/30/2022 at 2:35 PM, Suzysite said:

I just watched Amish Sins.  It could have been much longer and more fleshed out to fully tell the story.  I had already seen Sins of the Amish on Peacock, but that was more of a documentary in style.

I live very close to a huge Amish population in Ohio and I hope that kind of behavior is rare, but I still can't help giving old Mose or Caleb the side eye when they drive by. 

I found it very disturbing. Those poor girls who are basically taught to think it is their fault if they get raped? I spent the whole thing hoping it was totally unrealistic and then the showed those interviews with real life people talking about how it wasn't. The world is sick.

10 hours ago, ctlady said:

Did anyone watch Swindler Seduction?  Holy crap, that was good and....intense.  I love watching documentaries on these types of situations and especially ones where the tables get turned on them

Honestly, I thought the woman in that one was kind of an idiot. She just lends this guy she just meets all that money? I mean, he was awful, but nothing he said raised a red flag?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Honestly, I thought the woman in that one was kind of an idiot. She just lends this guy she just meets all that money? I mean, he was awful, but nothing he said raised a red flag?

Agreed on that point.  I don't want to be so quick to judge women who are so emotionally damaged and have low self esteem that they would fall for such outrageous posturing and boasting, not to mention not have a shred of discernment.  I suppose the smooth charm and believability of this guy's stories can get to some.  I never gave any guy I dated money, but I did have one who - back when he was living with his parents and would get locked out when he got home past a certain time - would either call or show up on my doorstep at 2am needing to crash.  I'd go to work the next morning and he let himself out after I left but not before using my shower and helping himself to what was in my fridge.  When I realized that's all our 'relationship' consisted of (no proper dates), I turned the tables on him. 

One Saturday night I went to a midnight showing of a movie with a friend, then to an all night diner and didn't get home until 3am.  I knew he'd be out at the clubs past the time he'd be locked out by his parents so I knew he'd either be calling or driving by my house and didn't want him to see my car in the driveway.  Sure enough - when I got home my phone rang around 3:30am - it was him, asking where I was.  I lied and told him I was on a date which irked him, even though he was canoodling with other women while he was out.  I then called him out and asked how he knew I was out to where he admitted to driving by my house multiple times until he saw my car.  He then had the gall to ask if he could just come in and crash.  I gave him two choices - go bust a window in his parents house to get in or sleep in his car.  This is my home - not a boarding house.  Grow up, take responsibility and learn to get home by a decent hour

I never saw him again

But.....back to the movie......yeah - I can't imagine that level of ignorance on their part - especially when he bought sports cars for her and her two friends.  I mean, the fact he was hanging in a hotel lounge with documents showing the purported 'sale of his company for $10 million' was a huge flag.  Who would just walk around with those things and what car dealership would take that as proof of funds too?

• Love 3

Saw Brutal Bridesmaids over the weekend.  Brutal was right, but in terms of acting and not character actions.  A bunch of no names, which I prefer, but the delivery of just about everyone's dialogue was forced, cheesy and wooden.   The actress who played Binky looked a lot like Miley Cyrus

So last night Hulu recommended The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Movie which I hadn't seen since it first came out. I have questions because the movie I watched last night is not what I remember. I remember Dustin's book that was bunk and I remember there were rumors of stuff that wasn't in the book --everyone sleeping with everyone else including network execs, free flowing drugs and alcohol--but none of this was in the movie. The movie was full of dropped storylines--Im assuming because it's a poor little Dustin no one liked him so these are things that he heard not things that were told to him. For example, Mark-Paul and Lark and Tiffani-Amber. In the movie MP and L like each other for 3 (or 3 seasons, whatever timeline that breaks down to) but never officially date, but MP and TA caught feelings after they started kissing on the show and that made L hate TA.  But, the movie never clarifies. Probably because Dustin didn't know. Mario Lopez slept with every fan girl that crossed his path. Mark Paul and his parents argued over money. Some of the crew hated working with kids. All of it was brought up once and never mentioned again. Even Dustin's friend/blackmailer (a young and gorgeous Manny Jacinto) plot kind of pittles out. One scene hes showing Dustin a video of Dustin getting wasted and threatening to release the video to the network and all of the media--ruining the squeaky clean image of the show and possibly getting the show shuttered for good. And the next scene is Dustin sitting alone before the graduation ep is shot and Mark Paul comes and gives him advice apologizes if he ever treated Dustin poorly. Did the friend go through with the blackmail?

Is there another movie out there that isn't so squeaky clean? Or did I conflate this movie with the rumors that Dustin admitted to starting? 

I will also say this: the acting, the writing, all of it was terrible. And I don't understand why they picked actors who would have been suitable for a movie on Good Morning Miss Bliss and kept the same ones all through 5 seasons on Saved by the Bell. MPG was a scrawny little 13 year old and the actor portrays that. But by the second season he was a bonafide hottie and the 13 year old actor certainly couldn't portray THAT. Same with the scrawny Mario Lopez. The only good choice was Dustin.

I liked the way Judge Reba's Chekhovian Fast Driving skills came into play at the 11th hour. 

But she sure got over being dosed with Rohypnol in a hurry. I have not idea if that's typical, but it seemed like when Bart asked her if she wanted to get a drink after that, coffee would've made more sense.🤷🏻‍♀️

I caught an interview with Reba this week in which she said she'd be up for another The Hammer movie or limited series or whatever. 
The only thing I'd change is to tone down the level of drinking. I mean, shouldn't a fifth of whatever be more than enough for 2 adults??? (when Bart left the hotel room to get more liquor and Reba went snooping and recognized Bart's Red Herring boots). 

Edited by shapeshifter

The movie was okay but I do think another movie might be a little better with a little more focus. 

I feel like the case that brought her to that town got resolved and I basically missed it.  All I remember is suddenly he's pleading out. 

And they barely used Melissa Peterman. 

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked the way Judge Reba's Chekhovian Fast Driving skills came into play at the 11th hour. 

But she sure got over being dosed with Rohypnol in a hurry. I have not idea if that's typical, but it seemed like when Bart asked her if she wanted to get a drink after that, coffee would've made more sense.🤷🏻‍♀️

I caught an interview with Reba this week in which she said she'd be up for another The Hammer movie or limited series or whatever. 
The only thing I'd change is to tone down the level of drinking. I mean, shouldn't a fifth of whatever be more than enough for 2 adults??? (when Bart left the hotel room to get more liquor and Reba went snooping and recognized Bart's Red Herring boots). 

I would watch another movie. Hopefully Lifetime agrees.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, rcc said:

I would watch another movie. Hopefully Lifetime agrees.

Do any of these LifeTime movies ever get picked up by another production company? 
Just wondering because Reba floated the idea of a limited series during an interview…

But another movie would be fine too.

The title of the movie being “The Hammer,” and the way it was used, kind of announces a series of movies.

• Like 1

I caught the beginning and the end of Melissa Joan Hart's Dirty Little Secret.

About the ending, I was pretty sure (spoiler tagging for those who haven't seen it) 

Spoiler

that the insurance company for the house would come after the daughter for arson and murder and probably win.

A sequel would have to be the daughter in prison.

Also: 
As they rolled the end credits, very briefly, in tiny font, there was a PSA that said something about "if...family...mental health...call..."

Episodes of TV shows that have these messages typically freeze them on the screen in big lettering, long enough to at least read them.
Does LifeTime not do this too?

Edited by shapeshifter

I thought The Hammer was a new series & last night was the pilot, so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have, thinking these were the beginnings of story lines that would play out in coming weeks! About halfway through, I caught on. lol  It was a fun watch - I love Reba & MP.

Edited by GeorgiaRai
typo
  • Like 1

I happened upon The Hammer about five minutes into it and decided to leave it on while I was sorting laundry.  In fifteen minutes I heard at least three cliches/colloquialisms that I probably found funny the first time I heard them - about 50 years ago.  So I was out.

I wish writers would stop falling back on the familiar and deliver something original and funny.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I wish writers would stop falling back on the familiar and deliver something original and funny. 

The stereotypical folksy figures of speech were a bit gooey, but I was surprised by how well modern social issues were addressed within that background. 

• Like 2

Watching How to Murder Your Husband and God what a stupid bitch. Her husband was a decent guy who loved and support her, and she not only killed him for insurance money, she was also dumb enough to to not even bother to cover her tracks. Did she really think she could get away with it by parading it in plain sight by writing about it?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 1/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Her husband was a decent guy who loved and support her, and she not only killed him for insurance money, she was also dumb enough to to not even bother to cover her tracks. Did she really think she could get away with it by parading it in plain sight by writing about it?

Ha.  My takeaways are that Guttenberg is in pretty good shape. Nice arms.

And yes, he was very much a sweetheart; although I have to admit I thought about killing him for a brief minute when he told her he was taking her on a getaway to Portugal and brought up Portuguese sausages.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Anyone watch Starving for Salvation? Jennifer Grey deserves an Emmy for that performance.  I truly didn't recognize her, in a good way.  

I agree.  I don't know about the movie but she was terrific.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:56 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

Anyone watch Starving for Salvation? Jennifer Grey deserves an Emmy for that performance.  I truly didn't recognize her, in a good way.  

Total nutso story (I’ve watched some of the HBO Max doc series about it). Jennifer did great, taking the character from open-hearted businesswoman to control freak cult leader

On 1/14/2023 at 9:24 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Watching How to Murder Your Husband and God what a stupid bitch. Her husband was a decent guy who loved and support her, and she not only killed him for insurance money, she was also dumb enough to to not even bother to cover her tracks. Did she really think she could get away with it by parading it in plain sight by writing about it?

Cybil Sheperd was on today promoting this movie.  It looks pretty good.  I’m going to check it out if I can still get Lifetime.  I’m not very familiar with the actual case, so that may be a plus.  It comes on this Saturday I think. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I watched Abducted By My Teacher: The Elizabeth Thomas Story. I can’t believe people actually blamed her everything. What the fuck? She was a child, he was an adult, and on top of grooming her, he threatened to hurt her family if she didn’t go with him. How was any of that her fault?!

• Like 4

I was pleasantly surprised at how good Michael Fishman was in this. The two actors in this definitely made creepy and inappropriate work. I’m also shocked people blamed her at all. She was obviously groomed. 

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I watched Abducted By My Teacher: The Elizabeth Thomas Story. I can’t believe people actually blamed her everything. What the fuck? She was a child, he was an adult, and on top of grooming her, he threatened to hurt her family if she didn’t go with him. How was any of that her fault?!

Edited by t7686
  • Like 2
On 8/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Misogyny. 

I said the same thing about Abby from “Girl in the Shed”, the guy confessed and she was still blamed. 

• Mind Blown 1
On 9/13/2023 at 9:19 AM, Clawdette said:

While watching The Closer this morning, I saw a promo of a movie with the best title ever:  Amish Stud: the Eli Weaver Story   Luke Macfarlane may never live this down. 

It's an amazing title. And apparently it's a true story? I really can't wait for that one.

• Like 1

Stolen Baby: The Murder of Heidi Broussard: It was really something that they cast Georgie Cooper’s baby mama on Young Sheldon as the lady that faked a pregnancy and killed her friend for her baby. 

But man the cops pissed me off with how they kept suspecting the fiancé as the killer. I know it’s usually always the husband in most cases but they were acting like he was a scumbag that was faking how distraught he was. He was a good guy who clearly loved Heidi and the kids, what did he do to make the lady cop dislike him so much?

And yea, I’m probably going to check out Amish Stud.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2

LIfetime will bring together 5 soap opera divas from the 1980s for a Christmas-themed movie for the upcoming holiday season called "Ladies of the 80's: A Divas Christmas". It stars Loni Anderson, Morgan Fairchild, Linda Gray, Donna Mills and Nicolette Sheridan. Sounds like fun

https://deadline.com/2023/10/lifetime-christmas-movie-80s-divas-loni-anderson-morgan-fairchild-linda-gray-donna-mills-nicollette-sheridan-1235561959/#comments

“Murdaugh Murders: The Movie”. 2 parter with Bill Pullman playing Alex Murdaugh. On tonight and tomorrow night

First part is pretty interesting so far. Alex is oily and corrupt and the family wields its influence pretty strongly in that town to get out of jams, especially for Paul. Only now that Paul killed Mallory in the boat accident, things will start to fall apart

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 3
On 10/14/2023 at 9:42 PM, DanaK said:

Alex is oily and corrupt and the family wields its influence pretty strongly in that town to get out of jams, especially for Paul. Only now that Paul killed Mallory in the boat accident, things will start to fall apart

I can't help but wonder if the boat accident hadn't happened that killed Mallory if Alex would have continued breaking the law and getting away with it.  I'm sure he would have and no one, including Buster and Paul, would have had to answer for any of their crimes.   There were just too many people on that boat that night who knew the truth - about Paul drinking and being the one driving the boat.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I can't help but wonder if the boat accident hadn't happened that killed Mallory if Alex would have continued breaking the law and getting away with it.  I'm sure he would have and no one, including Buster and Paul, would have had to answer for any of their crimes.   There were just too many people on that boat that night who knew the truth - about Paul drinking and being the one driving the boat.

My feeling is that Alex had built such a shaky house of cards, using his influence to hide his son’s misdeeds, his drug addiction, his stealing from his clients, that any one of them being exposed would have brought things down for him; the boat accident and Mallory’s death just happened to be the one to do it first. It’s also possible if he had gotten help for his drug addiction, he might not have been so on the edge with his paranoia and desperation that he wouldn’t have killed his family 

• Like 1

I watched "The Vicky White Story". It was pretty good, and yet incredibly sad at the same time. I don't know how/why people continually get themselves into these kind of situations. Was this convicted murderer really worth sacrificing your career/freedom/life? So unbelievably stupid.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I thought the movie was good but how could Vicky have been so naive? He can’t have been the first prisoner who tried to flirt with her. I’m also wondering why no one noticed them constantly talking to each other and Vicky always being his driver. It was sad that she had to die but it wouldn’t be good for her in prison.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I just watched The Wrong Life Coach and the actresses who played both life coaches looked exactly alike to me. I thought they were the same person with different hairstyles but the lifetime site says they are different actresses! I liked this although they have done the psychotic life coach thing a few times now. 

Edited by Madding crowd
12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I liked this although they have done the psychotic life coach thing a few times now.

it's been a while since I watched a Lifetime movie, but from what I remember all premises for Lifetime movies have been done a few (or many) times. When I watch a Lifetime movie I would be very surprised if it was something completely original.