Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago Med in the Media

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Artsda said:

He was the best character.

He may have been the best character but his storylines surely sucked. And his being joined at the hip with Bekker made it even worse.

• Love 6

Is he leaving by choice? I can’t imagine Kuhler is.

Rhodes started off as a great character but the boring romantic entanglements kind of took him away from the main action. Even his medical storylines may as well have happened on another show.

• Love 5

I think they were both cut vs walking away. (I have seen some speculation the 3 cuts happened due to Jesse Spencer & Taylor Kinney signing new, heftier contracts to return to Chicago Fire but who knows). I totally expected Kuhling to go at the end of S4 with the direction of Ava's story this season but Donnell is a complete surprise.

Anywho, I like Connor and will miss him as one of the few bright spots for me on the show. I am clinging to the belief now that when Robin leaves town that Connor will decide to follow her. I think the writing has been very obvious about his feelings for her. I honestly don't care about Ava nor how she will exit but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pine box or the looney bin for her.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I think they were both cut vs walking away. (I have seen some speculation the 3 cuts happened due to Jesse Spencer & Taylor Kinney signing new, heftier contracts to return to Chicago Fire but who knows). 

I think that was more people putting two and two together and coming up with ten. The announcement that they signed came the day before this announcement and people jumped to conclusions. 

They way they wrote Ava was just cringeworthy. The wrote her into a corner this year and I am not surprised that once Rhodes was gone they had no idea what to do with her. They made her so damn unlikeable and the writing staff are that incompetent that they couldn't figure out a way to redeem her & see no reason to keep her because the woman on this shows are written as complete flakes when it comes to men/relationships. She had no story outside of Rhodes so she is superfluous now.

Over on PD, Antonio was given one story line this year, which was so poorly done it was a joke. I would think he chose to leave because he didn't like the way he was being written/portrayed. Sadly another one of the original and better characters gets shafted like Al did last year.

Edited by Guildford
Didn't like my flow.
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, starri said:

If you'd told me this was going to happen in S1, I would have been heartbroken, but honestly, I'm so sick of Conner, I can't see this as any great loss.

Agreed. He was great in the beginning but they wrote him into a wall. They’ve pretty much done the same with all the characters across the One Chicago universe at this point but this show has been the worst for it. 

• Love 2

I'm kind of indifferent to Ava and Connor and leaving. Part of me thinks they had the potential to do more, but part of me thinks the show won't miss them. And with them both leaving, I have a feeling one of the characters is going to be killed off, or, I hate to admit, they might get back together and leave the show as a couple.

I will say with them leaving, the show is going to need to find two more characters to be surgeons. That's just a given with this being a medical show. Hopefully, the new characters don't bring all this relationship drama and mistrust.

Edited by WinJet0819
42 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

I'm kind of indifferent to Ava and Connor and leaving. Part of me thinks they had the potential to do more, but part of me thinks the show won't miss them. And with them both leaving, I have a feeling one of the characters is going to be killed off, or, I hate to admit, they might get back together and leave the show as a couple.

I will say with them leaving, the show is going to need to find two more characters to be surgeons. That's just a given with this being a medical show. Hopefully, the new characters don't bring all this relationship drama and mistrust.

God help the show if they choose to focus on the merry band of angst ridden drama queens in the ER.

That would feel like what PD did by getting rid of patrol and focus on the miserable bunch upstairs in Intelligence it's been all downhill since then. 

• Love 3

I am so going to miss copying Ava’s clenched jaw, downward smile, and random Britishish accent every week. She can go away.

Rhodes started out as the Severide or Casey of Med but flatted out pretty quickly. He’ll be okay.

Jon Seda deserves soooooo much better than being third or fourth flunkie on the Hank Voight show (and I like the Voight character, but I wanted Seda’s Dawson to be a foil to his old-school police brutality).  I’ll watch whatever he’s in next.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

In particular, this along with Ato Essendoh's unavailability leaves the cardiothoracic unit of the hospital vacant-never mind what will happen with the hybrid ER/OR. I wonder if the show will restaff it with new characters or if they will stop having so many stories about heart cases, and they sure have had a lot up till now.

• Love 1

I suspect all the heart cases were there because they had cardio-thoracic surgeons, and now the time will get shifted to something else.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:13 PM, Artsda said:

He was the best character.

He was in the first season of the show. And season the bromance with Latham was gold.

Things started spiraling down when they brought in Ava and made Connor a wimp both with her and in his relationship with Robin.  Just as Will was always Natalie's puppy dog and now Choi has become April's -- all three horrible relationships with bitchy women and emasculated men.  The only men on this show who aren't wimps are Charles and the neurosurgeon but the latter is only recurring. Even the way the relationship with Robin ended with her suddenly deciding to leave without saying goodbye to the guy who supported her unequivocally and who she was living with, was terrible writing.

20 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

Nooo! Why couldn't they write April off, along with Ava? I love Donnel & I like Dr. Rhodes.

Damn, I have no reason to watch season 5 now.

Same here.

I don't what it is with this show ... is this the sort of characters, nasty women and their puppy dog men,  they think we will cheer on and hope live happily ever after?

• Love 6

Rhodes was also a welcome diversion from all the Choi/April and Will/Natalie drama. Will sucks with or without Natalie anyway. I really watched mostly for Rhodes, though I like Daniel, Maggie and Sharon.

Yes, the Ava storyline ruined the character. WTF. These are some awful writers.

• Love 7

I have missed most of the last two seasons due to other commitments with other shows, as well as disinterest, but I am saddened by this news. I've been watching a couple of episodes this season and keeping up but I'm perplexed as to why they're getting rid of Colin Donnell. I mean, obviously their biggest issue was the Ava/Connor dynamic. Getting rid of Kuhling makes sense; Ava's not a well received character and getting rid of her frees up Connor's storyline. But then they also get rid of Connor? Are they moving away from surgical storylines entirely, then? Because it's not as if Connor was someone who was prominently in the ER with all the other characters. He fluttered back and forth from the ER to surgery, so he provided that break with the dramatic love stories in the ER. 

It's even more of a shame since Colin Donnell was always consistent with his love for the One Chicago promotion on Twitter. I follow him and he's always tried to live tweet this show, at least. I guess I'm trying to figure out why his exit is for creative decisions, when they could really get rid of any number of other characters currently in the ER, whose stories, I've read, are basically reiterations over and over and over again. Will and Natalie pining over each other, Choi pining over April, etc. I mean, even just watching the promos for episodes, I've seen them do the exact same stuff in other episodes, such as so-and-so thinking about breaking the law and another character being pissed about it. 

I guess I could be happy if Connor's exit is with Robin. Ava can take her exit stage right and Connor can exit stage left with Robin. 

• Love 5
On 4/25/2019 at 10:57 AM, Lady Calypso said:

He fluttered back and forth from the ER to surgery, so he provided that break with the dramatic love stories in the ER. 

This.

I complain about the other shows that I watch but it's more or less with affection. And it used to be with affection for parts of this show too. But it's devolved into shallow melodrama with bad medicine. Connor's storylines had the potential to add something different. So instead of shaking up the ED, which it badly needs,  But instead they get rid of the one character who can have justifiably have scene in the larger hospital. Now we can have more Natalie, Will, Charles bringing his personal problems into his cases and Choi making moony eyes at April as she pushes him away!

• Love 4
On 4/20/2019 at 11:26 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Anywho, I like Connor and will miss him as one of the few bright spots for me on the show. I am clinging to the belief now that when Robin leaves town that Connor will decide to follow her. I think the writing has been very obvious about his feelings for her. I honestly don't care about Ava nor how she will exit but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pine box or the looney bin for her.

Couldn't agree more and voiced a similar opinion a (on a different thread) when I learned he was "leaving".  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and with the illusion, that Robyn & Connor will leave and work together elsewhere which would at least keep the door open for any guest appearances by him.   I think (hope) Ava meets her demise in a tragic, fatal accident - she doesn't need to return for any reason, imo.   It was a very bad move to have ever put Rhekker in a romantic relationship.

• Love 7

I hope they go along with the poll and have him go to the Mayo Clinic.  I don't even care if he doesn't get back with Robin.  Just leave Ava in the dust.

• Love 2

Agree with a few others - hope they just let him leave (Mayo Clinic, to Hawaii, etc.) preferably with Robin, but even if it's without her, just don't have any "reunion" or interaction with Ava.  Just let Ava be gone, i.e., in jail for killing his dad and all the other psychotic things she did, dead in freak accident after storming out of the hospital, etc.  Good riddance to her!.  Sadly, it doesn't sound like NBC even wants Colin back for guest spots - shameful!   I hope he finds another show that becomes a HUGE hit with him in the lead!

What's worse is that the stories will be centered around Mansted and Chexton - two of the worse couples on the show!  Unless they bring back Dr. Latham and begin to develop his story, along with Sharon and Maggie's stories, it's going to be fairly easy, for me, to let go of this Chicago series☹️

• Love 5

I"m really curious what prompted the decision to get rid of Rhodes and when it happened. It was after the season was plotted, maybe even after the episode was shot.  Maybe they intended to lose Ava if they were writing her a mentally ill but there's no indication that I can see that they were writing to losing Rhodes. I can't imagine that his pay was so high that it was to save money on him.

1 hour ago, cathmed said:

Unless they bring back Dr. Latham and begin to develop his story, along with Sharon and Maggie's stories, it's going to be fairly easy, for me, to let go of this Chicago series☹️

Latham is interesting but I thought he was best in the bromance with Rhodes. With Rhodes gone, I'm not sure how they'll use Latham.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2019 at 5:22 PM, statsgirl said:

Latham is interesting but I thought he was best in the bromance with Rhodes. With Rhodes gone, I'm not sure how they'll use Latham

Agree 100% with you on "Rhatham" bromance.   I believe whatever show he (Latham) was on has been cancelled (or at least the character).   Think I read that somewhere on this board, so yeah, unsure if he'll even return and why, really?   Rhekker was basically the only ones who seemed to use the OR.   With Rhodes gone, who knows what direction they'll go with the Hybrid OR.

• Love 2

I really don't understand getting rid of the main eye candy and obvious lead. I will tune in for season 5, but without Connor my interest in the show is almost totally gone. Who wants to suffer through 22 episodes of April/Choi and Natalie/Will drama? Ugh.

• Love 5
On 7/20/2019 at 7:10 AM, Chas411 said:

As much as I enjoyed Connor at first his relationship with Ava took over and ruined the character. I’m glad we’re losing him.

I hear ya and agree...although I'm not sure that was his choice OR why they made her so unlikable??!!  It would have been best if they just remained "competitive" colleagues which was how she was portrayed initially.

It will be interesting to "hear" the explanation in S5, E1.  After that, I won't be religiously watching since it will all be about Chexton and Manstead - ugh & *sigh*

• Love 3

I was just channel surfing and saw that Colin Donnell (Connor) is in a new Hallmark movie called "Love on Iceland." 

It beats being stuck on this show with Ava, so good luck to him in his career.

• Love 1

It's going to play on the W channel in Canada next weekend.  Donnel plays the male love interest but Patty Murin (pathologist Dr. Nina) is stuck in the best friend role again.

Still, it sounds like they have fun being in Iceland together making a movie

On 8/28/2020 at 4:58 AM, Avabelle said:

I believe they're starting back up sometime this month. On Twitter, it appears Chicago Med is starting back on 9/22.

It appears Ava (Norma Kuhling) has been resurrected in the next episode of S.W.A.T. as a new team member. Let's see if they actually have her character stand on her own as a good officer, or become obsessed with a team member and kill their parent and slice her own throat.

• LOL 2