Type keyword(s) to search

General Pilot & Shows In Development Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I'll give that one, plus Conviction (because Hayley Atwell) and Time After Time a try. Time After Time looks like the most charming of the time travel shows to me. Although I still think the time travel will make me dizzy.

While I have great affection for the movie, I don't see how they can extend the premise beyond one season. 

(edited)
13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

While I have great affection for the movie, I don't see how they can extend the premise beyond one season. 

He stays and fights 21st century crimes with his 19th century sensibilities; OR Tries to stop other serial killers in history.

-----
I can't get into Still Star-Crossed because 1) Shonda; 2) they changed the ending of R & J! Their deaths of those idiot teens are what stopped the fued between the two families; so all that is for naught, now?

Edited by Trini
11 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Yeah. I'm not sure either. It kind of seems like Sleepy Hollow. Still, it's a midseason show and maybe if they keep the episode order to 13, they could extend it for a few seasons.

The West Wing showed this in Season One (I am old and don't remember the title), with the Secretary of Agriculture being the guy that year.  And I've never done more then rapidly skim these books, but Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan became President in a somewhat similar (but oddly less plausible) scenario.  There is a lengthy order of succession, with the only requirement being that each person meet the constitutional requirements: native born, at least 35 years old, and (oh yeah) a U.S. citizen.  In the novel Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, the female Secretary of Health, Education, & Welfare winds up as President.  I was about to make a Battlestar Galactica reference, but oops, not the U.S....

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, balls. I'm drawn to the premise of Designated Survivor but just can't with Sutherland so will have to give it a nay vote.

Elfman is also a hard stop for me, forever.

Edited by lordonia
54 minutes ago, Trini said:

He stays and fights 21st century crimes with his 19th century sensibilities; OR Tries to stop other serial killers in history.

-----
I can't get into Still Star-Crossed because 1) Shonda; 2) they changed the ending of R & J! Their deaths of those idiot teens are what stopped the fued between the two families; so all that is for naught, now?

I seriously had this discussion with my friend. I can't get into this show because of Shonda. 

the R&J ending bit could be this is how it gets better? but history ignored it? (also. heh. idiot teens are right. i wrote this in my shakespere essay once, got an A). 

Conviction is interesting so is Notorious . American Housewife made me mad  - that woman isn't even fat. I'd kill to look like her. ugh. Speechless got me in the feels. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

The West Wing showed this in Season One (I am old and don't remember the title), with the Secretary of Agriculture being the guy that year.  And I've never done more then rapidly skim these books, but Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan became President in a somewhat similar (but oddly less plausible) scenario.  There is a lengthy order of succession, with the only requirement being that each person meet the constitutional requirements: native born, at least 35 years old, and (oh yeah) a U.S. citizen.  In the novel Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, the female Secretary of Health, Education, & Welfare winds up as President.  I was about to make a Battlestar Galactica reference, but oops, not the U.S....

The Battlestar Galactica reboot (BSG to us hardcore fans) had the Secretary of Education (Mary McDonnell) become president because she was the next in line surviving.

• Love 1

The State of the Union episode from West Wing where they talk about which Cabinet member will stay behind (though they had him hang out in the Oval Office rather than a secret location-it was a pre-9/11 world) is a favorite.  Add in my love for Maggie Q and I'll definitely check out Designated Survivor. 

Conviction looks like it could be legitimately good or one of those shows where the plots are weak but the characterization is strong.  Either way, they had me at Hayley Atwell so I'm in.

Time After Time looks like the opposite but I'll still check it out.

The rest don't interest me at all.

Assuming that none of the new shows that have piqued my interest from ABC and NBC get cancelled, next season is going to make my DVR hate me.

• Love 1

I never watch Keifer Sutherland shows, but Maggie Q makes Designated Survivor a must-see for me.  I binge-watched Nikita on Netflix last year, which was the first time I'd seen her in anything, and instantly became a big fan.  Big enough to not only watch the kinda terrible Stalker last season, but legitimately be disappointed when it got axed.  Please don't tell anyone.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Trini said:

I was surprised when a saw a promo photo for ABC's Still Star-Crossed; for some reason I thought this was going to have a contemporary setting, but it's a period piece.

When I saw the title I thought they were going to bring back the short-lived CW series Star-Crossed. But unfortunately it turned out to be a Shonda Rhimes series, so I won't be watching it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

When I saw the title I thought they were going to bring back the short-lived CW series Star-Crossed. But unfortunately it turned out to be a Shonda Rhimes series, so I won't be watching it.

Hah! My thoughts exactly!

I binge-watched Nikita on Netflix last year, which was the first time I'd seen her in anything, and instantly became a big fan. 

Sniff, I still miss Nikita. Loved that show.

I also initially thought Still Star-Crossed was, like, a continuation of that horrible CW series.

I see Leighton Meester will be in Fox's time-traveling show. Dammit. Now I have to watch it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Time after Time - I think this is a clever premise. Two hot time traveling dudes, one of them a murderer, a friendship that turns into antagonism, a little bit of Sleepy Hollow thrown in there. I can totally see the Castle, Supernatural, Sleepy Hollow audiences eating this up. Also, Josh Bowman is really pretty. THAT MAN AND HIS TERRIFYING GOOD LOOKS. But I don't think it could ever be more than a guilty pleasure.

I'm actually annoyed at the premise, but I didn't know Josh Bowman and His Actual Accent were going to be in this, so I might give it a look.

4 hours ago, Chrissytd said:

How are these different shows?

Kevin Can Wait
A newly retired police officer looking forward to spending more quality time with his wife and three kids discovers he faces much tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.

Man With a Plan
A contractor whose wife goes back to work starts spending more time with his kids and discovers the truth every parent eventually realizes: His little angels are maniacs.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lordonia said:

How are these different shows?

Kevin Can Wait
A newly retired police officer looking forward to spending more quality time with his wife and three kids discovers he faces much tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.

Man With a Plan
A contractor whose wife goes back to work starts spending more time with his kids and discovers the truth every parent eventually realizes: His little angels are maniacs.

Seriously. Why not pick just one and renew Limitless instead of "shopping it around"?

• Love 5
(edited)

Why are all the CBS trailers giving away the entire pilot?

Bull: Oh no...I didn't realize this was Michael Weatherly's new show...God, it looks stupid anyway. I don't think it has charm. Plus, I hate Dr. Phil. 'You're a con-man'. That's for damn sure. Also, they gave away the entire pilot, so there's no point in watching it. Just skip to the second episode if anyone is actually interested. Sorry Weatherly, but I will not be tuning in to this. 

The Great Indoors: I like Joel McHale and Stephen Fry, but I'm annoyed by the young adults. Even being a young adult, I just feel like I won't enjoy it. Also, I REALLY dislike laugh tracks. It's like a cue on when they want you to laugh, and usually I don't. So yeah, a hard pass at the moment for me.

Kevin Can Wait: It looks ok, I guess. Besides the laugh track, I liked the trailer, and it feels like an older sitcom. I liked King of Queens, so Kevin James may be the draw for me to give it a chance. 

Man With a Plan: I'm more interested in the other sitcom, even though I'm a bigger fan of Matt LeBlanc and laughed more at his lines. It's the kids that are the reason. Yeah, I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling I'm more likely to stick with the Kevin James sitcom. Although...I will say the changing the password for the wifi trick is kind of genius. 

Pure Genius: Speaking of geniuses....the show doesn't look great. I wonder what would happen to that hospital when...oh, I don't know, technology fails? I'm sure it's all great that they're showing modernism through technology, but I am not a fan of the premise. It does look like it has potential to be a hit show, though, and I think it could easily get to three seasons.

Training Day: I've ever seen the actual film, so this may be lost on me. For me, it just looks like a typical buddy-cop show. I think I'm going to pass, but Katrina Law is making me curious. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 4

I kept seeing all these comments from TV critics on Twitter yesterday about how good Bull looked (incidentally, there was a much better show called Bull on TNT back in 2000/2001 starring my beloved Alicia Coppola), which really surprised me because the premise sounded horrible.  So I watched the clip myself and yep, horrible.  I know people like Michael Weatherly from NCIS (I just remember him from his soap days), so maybe that will be enough to carry it, but it was just so cliched and dull and cringe-worthy.  And knowing that Dr. Phil is involved with it just makes things worse.

• Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I kept seeing all these comments from TV critics on Twitter yesterday about how good Bull looked (incidentally, there was a much better show called Bull on TNT back in 2000/2001 starring my beloved Alicia Coppola), which really surprised me because the premise sounded horrible.  So I watched the clip myself and yep, horrible.  I know people like Michael Weatherly from NCIS (I just remember him from his soap days), so maybe that will be enough to carry it, but it was just so cliched and dull and cringe-worthy.  And knowing that Dr. Phil is involved with it just makes things worse.

For me, Dr. Phil is just kinder, gentler Trump. Who wants to watch that, MW or not?

In time travel show news, Frequency looks good (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_(TV_series)) even though it is on The CW. 

Edited by shapeshifter

And now The CW have their trailers out....their two trailers.

Frequency: It looks better than I thought it would. But it's definitely going to become complicated, and I'm not sure if they'll be able to keep up with all the changes that will happen. 

No Tomorrow: It looks cute, much like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend, one show I've stuck with and one I haven't. I do think The CW have a lot of shows now, so I'm afraid this one may not stick around for long. 

So, good job CW, you have two shows so far that look decent. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

And now The CW have their trailers out....their two trailers.

Frequency: It looks better than I thought it would. But it's definitely going to become complicated, and I'm not sure if they'll be able to keep up with all the changes that will happen....

So, good job CW, you have two shows so far that look decent. 

I hated Peyton List's character on The Tomorrow People, but this looks much better all around. But then I'm a sucker for time travel.

Ok, I guess since the majority of the major trailers are out, I'll give a short list of which ones I'll actually watch.

NBC: The Good Place is the only one on the new trailers list that I'll actually try out. The other two? Not so much. Not unless they get stellar reviews within the first five episodes.

FOX: APB, Making History, and Shots Fired for sure. Pitch is one I'm definitely willing to try, despite the fact that I'm not a sports fan. I couldn't even finish season 1 of Friday Night Lights.

ABC: Designated Survivor, Conviction, Downward Dog, Speechless, and Time After Time. The ones in italics are the ones I will definitely prioritize over the other choices. Although Speechless is not italicized for the reason that I might just forget to watch it, it's definitely one I want to see work out. I decided Still Star Crossed is one Rhimes show I will wait to hear the reviews for. 

CBS: Since their comment on Drew, it makes it really hard to skip the new shows here, because some of them sound more decent than the others. But I will tune in to Kevin Can Wait, Man With a Plan, and Pure Genius. The last one more to see how it fails. 

The CW: I'm tuning in to both shows. What can I say? The CW produces the best content that suits my tastes. If only the network could get rid of Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Reign, and Supernatural (I like the actors on that show, but Supernatural has gone on too long), I'd be fairly happy with the choices of their shows, both old and new.

• Love 1

No Tomorrow set the time until the apocalypse as the exact length of one season.  I'm rooting for this show to go there and season 2 is carpe diem post world ending cataclysm.

Lots of shows this pilot season that beg the question of whether they can sustain more than a limited series or one season.

I loved the movie Frequency.  But once you change the past an set loose a serial killer's reign of terror, how long is the audience going to put up with the leads not learning that messing with the past might be a bad idea.

Well, I'm shocked--shocked I say--to report that there are two or three shows that spiked my interest this year. Last year, not a one. And just when I thought I was getting too old for this. ;)

So, it seems like time traveling is the theme everyone's trying to jump on this season, hu? Interesting. The only one of those to interest me was Making History. Hey, what can I say, I love a good buddy comedy! While I'm on the subject, I kinda surprised myself with enjoying the trailer for Lethal Weapon. Can't say I ever cared for the movie, but something about the show kinda pinged with me.

I'm kinda interested in This Is Us. It looks like a schmaltzy drama, but, a pinch of this and a pinch of that can sometimes increase my watching flavor. 

Pitch looks like it could be a good show, but not sure it's a show I would watch. I need to see more on that one to decide. I'm also on the fence with The Good Place. Not sure if it's just concept or if it has something else to go with it yet.

I'm wary of Frequency. I liked the movie and the trailer for the show looked better than expected, but I'm not sure it has a whole show in it. Plus, it's gonna be run by Jeremy Carver, who I think is a good writer, but not a good showrunner. 

Other than that, not much else jumped out at me. 

Matt LeBlanc's thing looks slightly less awful than Kevin James' but... only marginally. I think his delivery/timing is actually quite good now, but this is hardly Episodes quality writing. 

I have a question that might be dumb, but I'll ask it anyway... When they make the trailers for new shows is it only scenes from the Pilot episode? Or have they already filmed additional episodes? Is it just random scenes they shot to make a preview?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, shantown said:

When they make the trailers for new shows is it only scenes from the Pilot episode? Or have they already filmed additional episodes? Is it just random scenes they shot to make a preview?

They are scenes from the pilot or perhaps extra scenes shot specifically for the trailer. Filming on new and returning shows starts in July or later, although work on writing and other aspects of production may begin right after the up-fronts.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cynicat said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but the Matt LeBlanc show doesn't look half bad, especially for a pilot that will get some tweaking. 

It's better than the James show, but I think we all have to admit that almost anything would be. It's a hackneyed unoriginal premise, with some clearly stale jokes we see in the First Look, but what keeps it from sucking is that LeBlanc has gotten much better at his shtick in the past few years, thanks to his work on Episodes. Which has infinitely better writing, of course, but at least it's helped LeBlanc solidify that aging Lothario persona.  Which is an odd fit for a show about a Dad (with a wife, he's no widower) staying home to take care of the kids, but the scene with him looking in the mirror by the door makes it clear that's still a big part of the persona. The alpha-male interacting with the effeminate seemingly emasculated other Dad is a bit cringe-worthy though--I mean some of it was actually funny, but it's kind of like comedy from another time (or a Chuck Lorre show). 

I wonder how LeBlanc suddenly has all this time. He's got three, count them three, shows all on the air this year (Episodes, this, and a big commitment to Top Gear). I'd be shocked if he has time to even go to the toilet.

• Love 1

ABC already had me annoyed with the talking dog show, but apparently they also have an imaginary friend show. Even worse, the show stars the super-annoying Scientologist Jenna Elfman, who somehow seems to get new employment every few years like clockwork.

• Love 1

Slightly more hopeful about CBS' Great Indoors. On many levels it looks like a totally boring standard combo of an office comedy and fish out of water. I liked the idea of Joel McHale on something new, albeit not on something this vanilla looking. But then the trailer got to Stephen Fry. If he's actually in more than the pilot, maybe I'll watch.

• Love 2

Deadline - John le Carré’s ‘The Spy Who Came In From The Cold’ To Be Developed As Limited Series By Paramount TV & Ink Factory:

Paramount TV and The Night Manager producers The Ink Factory are teaming to develop a limited series based on another John le Carré novel, the New York Times bestselling espionage tale The Spy Who Came in From The Cold. Oscar-winning scribe Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire) is attached to write the adaptation.

This is the first TV series treatment for the book, that was the basis for the 1965 Paramount feature film starring Richard Burton. Le Carré, who served as a writer along with Paul Dehn on the 1965 film, will also executive produce. The Ink Factory will finance and produce in association with Paramount TV and Character 7. Paramount Worldwide Television Licensing & Distribution will handle worldwide distribution of the series outside of the UK.

{Current Mood: Conflicted.}

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow.

Lionsgate, who produced the Divergent film series, which starred Shailene Woodley, is apparently not going forward with the fourth/final installment, "Ascendant," on the big screen, but, due to poor box office performance of Allegiant, will instead convert it to a TV movie, which will be used to launch a TV series. (Variety)

Lionsgate’s television group will handle production. The idea is to finalize the storylines involving the current cast and to introduce a new cast, who would then continue the series on either a traditional or streaming network.

No word yet on whether Woodley or any of the other main actors will appear in the revised Ascendant, which has yet to be filmed.

Edit: Link to discussion in the Divergent series film thread.

Edited by Just Here

CBS will premiere Bull about a jury expert who can "read jurors minds." -- nothing supernatural; the guy is just very intuitive and is very good at reading other people. 

I do like psychological, mind-bending shows, but I feel like I've seen this one already: Lie to Me, Elementary, and even The Mentalist and Psych

I don't usually like comedy but   The Good Place looks like fun mostly because I like Ted Danson and Kristen Bell.  

Time travel shows seem to be the new rage now which is good by me so I will at least give most of them a chance to impress me.

Conviction looks like all the things Shonda does right which means it will either be awesome or flame out.  

• Love 1

I know I just posted earlier today but I finally got around to actually watching some of the trailers  and here is what I actually think 

ABC:  Three I think.    I like Time After Time, Still Star Crossed,  and Conviction 

CBS:   The Great Indoors looks interesting enough to check out the pilot.  I like the idea of a guy my age forced to interact with millennials.   

FOX:   Nothing

NBC:  The Good Place,  Timeless

CW:  Frequency

That's what I got.  Not a bad list.  Most of them will probably fall off after a couple episodes.  As much as I hope to like The Great Indoors and The Good Place I don't usually do comedies so they have to really do something for me.  The three ABC shows all look surprisingly fascinating which means I will either love them or hate them.  Timeless and Frequency both have even odds with me.  So still pretty good pick this year.  

I need to go through a complete list, but I know I'll check out all of the time travel ones. There are a few things on Netflix and Amazon coming up this fall or next year that I'll also try. By then, maybe I'll remember their titles.

Any suggestions for where to find a good list and summary of the new broadcast, cable, and streaming shows?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ABay said:

I need to go through a complete list, but I know I'll check out all of the time travel ones. There are a few things on Netflix and Amazon coming up this fall or next year that I'll also try. By then, maybe I'll remember their titles.

Any suggestions for where to find a good list and summary of the new broadcast, cable, and streaming shows?

I'll give the time travel ones a chance too. Hopefully at least one will work for me.

I use: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates

• Love 1

So I just (mostly) watched the Amazon pilots. 

The super pretentious summary of the Kevin Bacon one turned me off and I found I couldn't get more than a few minutes into it despite it having both Bacon and Dunne who I like.  The reviews were fairly bad for it too.

Not unsurprisingly, given how much I loved the last live action version, I liked the Tick.  It was more serious and less cartoony than the last live action but still enough humor to be enjoyable.  And still enough nonsense coming out of the Tick's mouth that you need to watch with closed captioning....'did he just say ...well that made no sense''

The big surprise to me was Jean Claude Van Damme Johnson which was OMG, LOL hysterical. 

I hope they will pick up more than one of these...The Tick and JCVD Johnson

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Not unsurprisingly, given how much I loved the last live action version, I liked the Tick.  It was more serious and less cartoony than the last live action but still enough humor to be enjoyable.  And still enough nonsense coming out of the Tick's mouth that you need to watch with closed captioning....'did he just say ...well that made no sense''

The big surprise to me was Jean Claude Van Damme Johnson which was OMG, LOL hysterical. 

I hope they will pick up more than one of these...The Tick and JCVD Johnson

I vote for The Tick and JCVJohnson too. Like you, I was surprise how good it was. Funny, but sometimes poignant, the only thing I could compare it with is maybe Bojack Horseman : the cartoon as funny as it's horrible about a Direct to DVD actor, bored to death and infatuated with someone cleary better than he is.

"I am the master of the splits" is something I try to put in every conversation I have with my husband since we've seen this pilot two days ago because I cried from laughter at the way he said it. The bit with the filming in Hungaria was a hoot also, and the constant allegation that Time Cop is better than Looper got me every time. Really, a really strong comedy pilot. I hope it gets picked and that the writing will be as great as that.

Doesn't Amazon usually have 6-7 pilots, including a couple of kids' shows? It seems off that there are only three.

Before watching, I was most drawn to I Love Dick because I enjoy Kevin Bacon, but no. Did not like it at all.

JCVJohnson was sharp and amusing, mostly because of JC (which was surprising considering he's known for bad acting). Vanessa/Kat Foster was the weak point in the cast for me. And also, come on with the age difference.

The Tick was fun to watch as well.

15 hours ago, Pollock said:

and the constant allegation that Time Cop is better than Looper got me every time.

Not just allegation, it's truth.  And the argument of which movie accurately portrays what happens when matter occupies the same space is important given all the time travel shows launching in the fall.  Plus really, really funny.

I do wonder how much of the humor will sail over the head of anyone younger than Gen X  doesn't remember the era that spawned the JCVD vs Steven Seagal celebrity feud.

Edited by ParadoxLost

I guess I should go watch Jean Claude Van Damme Johnson, now?

I watched The Tick because I adored the original and it was very enjoyable as expected. Thought, what the hell let's check out this Kevin Bacon show. Well, I shut it off about half way through and, cared so little about it, I couldn't even complete the survey. Decided I didn't need to worry about Jean Claude Van Damme Johnson. You guys have convinced me I should give it a chance, though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

JCVJohnson was sharp and amusing, mostly because of JC (which was surprising considering he's known for bad acting). Vanessa/Kat Foster was the weak point in the cast for me. And also, come on with the age difference.

Isn't that age difference referential and part of the joke? I took it like that because in movies and tv shows, the old(ish) action dude (or just plain old dude, not even an action figure one who does sports) is always getting the hot young woman. I don't know if that's a real trope or not but it's certainly a well established pattern!

• Love 1