Type keyword(s) to search

General Pilot & Shows In Development Discussion

• Start Topic

Martin Scorsese is developing a show about the early Roman Empire, called The Caesars. IMO, the Julio-Claudian dynasty is a little overplayed in pop culture. Yes, it's interesting. Yes, it's a time of much turmoil and drama. I just don't like it. I'd rather see something different, like the birth of Rome itself, the crisis of the third century, or the life of Constantine.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2018 at 12:06 PM, festivus said:

Hannibal. I love him as a showrunner. I was disappointed when I heard he had left American Gods. I think he's one of those people that doesn't like interference and I wish people would just leave him be and to his creative vision.

I don't get why he would jump on the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, knowing he will leave both Anne and Christopher Rice once the season is over. He is not a person that wants to stay on board till the end. About the Chronicles, I am not looking forward to it, knowing that both Anne and Christopher are the ones writing it. 

On 2/15/2018 at 4:48 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I don't get why he would jump on the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, knowing he will leave both Anne and Christopher Rice once the season is over. He is not a person that wants to stay on board till the end. About the Chronicles, I am not looking forward to it, knowing that both Anne and Christopher are the ones writing it. 

I thought that Anne Rice did a good job writing the Interview With a Vampire and most of the sequels (and books i.e. The Witching Hour) until she got up around the Queen of the Dammed and the Mummy nonsense. Why do you think she wouldn’t do a good job? When she originally wrote it she was very depressed. When I visited her house in New Orleans I saw some bookshelves on my way into the room where she displayed her doll collection and noticed two copies of a book on Prozac. She wrote those books when she was very depressed. The favorite piece of art I saw was her (now deceased) husband Stan’s artwork titled “9 Views of Hitler” which was nine blocked rats in different colors. Interesting is also that her real name is Howard Allen. Anyway, I wouldn’t mind it if she and her son Christopher took a stab at writing a series on her original subject matter. 

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

The favorite piece of art I saw was her (now deceased) husband Stan’s artwork titled “9 Views of Hitler” which was nine blocked rats in different colors.

Don't quite get this? is there some online image available (I couldn't find one when I looked at the Stan Rice site).

It was a picture divided into 9 equal squares. Each area had a rat in different colors. I know what I saw as I liked it very much and also enjoyed its snarky quality.  I’m sorry that you couldn’t find an image of it but maybe it’s part of their private collection. I lingered when I saw it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought that Anne Rice did a good job writing the Interview With a Vampire and most of the sequels (and books i.e. The Witching Hour) until she got up around the Queen of the Dammed and the Mummy nonsense. Why do you think she wouldn’t do a good job? When she originally wrote it she was very depressed. When I visited her house in New Orleans I saw some bookshelves on my way into the room where she displayed her doll collection and noticed two copies of a book on Prozac. She wrote those books when she was very depressed. The favorite piece of art I saw was her (now deceased) husband Stan’s artwork titled “9 Views of Hitler” which was nine blocked rats in different colors. Interesting is also that her real name is Howard Allen. Anyway, I wouldn’t mind it if she and her son Christopher took a stab at writing a series on her original subject matter. 

I have no doubt it would do well in the ratings, but I am just curious because Bryan Fuller doesn't stay on one particular show for long. That is where my initial concern lies. I would be interested as to how it be for a ratings receiver because there are other shows that could kill Anne Rice's VC series. Don't forget. This is a ratings competition now. It is no longer as to who gets to be on top. It's about money.

11 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I have no doubt it would do well in the ratings, but I am just curious because Bryan Fuller doesn't stay on one particular show for long. That is where my initial concern lies. I would be interested as to how it be for a ratings receiver because there are other shows that could kill Anne Rice's VC series. Don't forget. This is a ratings competition now. It is no longer as to who gets to be on top. It's about money.

Well then a bottom line that we should agree on is this outcome is based on marketing and who can sell the most ads. 

Whatever the Rice’s write they will need a good show runner and maybe someone to take their dialogue into the spoken word seamlessly. Gosh  I hate to get hyped for something that doesn’t materialize. I was so happy that they were doing a Freddy Mercury/Pink Floyd biopic but then the dang producer/director (sorry, can’t remember who exactly) got fingered for the #MeToo and then the info on the movie went poof  

17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well then a bottom line that we should agree on is this outcome is based on marketing and who can sell the most ads. 

Whatever the Rice’s write they will need a good show runner and maybe someone to take their dialogue into the spoken word seamlessly. Gosh  I hate to get hyped for something that doesn’t materialize. I was so happy that they were doing a Freddy Mercury/Pink Floyd biopic but then the dang producer/director (sorry, can’t remember who exactly) got fingered for the #MeToo and then the info on the movie went poof  

It was Bryan Singer and there have been whisperings about him and young men for at least a decade. Furthermore, he got bounced from the Freddie Mercury biopic because he wasn't on set for days at a time. He says that he was caring for a sick parent. The studio said that he would just disappear for days and in some cases weeks at a time. Multiple actors quit the production and complained to the studio.

• Love 2

Nickelodeon is looking to revive Clarissa Explains It All, "Girl Meets World"-style.  Via THR:

The Viacom-owned cable network is in early discussions to reboot sitcom Clarissa Explains It All, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The reboot would see former star Melissa Joan Hart reprise her role as Clarissa Darling, only this time, she would play the mother of the family. Series creator Mitchell Kriegman is also in talks to return to write and exec produce. Hart will also exec produce via her Hartbreak Films banner, which she runs with her mother, TV producer Paula Hart. Nickelodeon declined comment as deals with both Hart and Kriegman are not done. The project, sources say, is in early development at Nickelodeon.

Edited by Just Here
formatting

Adam Savage is returning to Discovery hosting a new version of Mythbusters Jr. with children.

"Guided by Savage, six of the nation’s most scientifically savvy kids will get the chance to show off their prowess and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) skills as they separate fact from fiction over the course of 10 episodes."

• Love 1

I'm holding out for the epic, sweeping saga detailing the action-packed backstory of Bruce's Aunt Harriet Cooper.

Seriously, "entertainment" industry - you're over-mining already-depleted sources of material. Move on to something new.

Aunt Harriet.jpg

• Love 5

An Alfred series could work.  They're using the recent backstory of him being British Intelligence before/while becoming the Wayne's butler/valet.  So the series is probably going to center around his double life.  It's not a totally untried concept (early Alias, anyone?), but something interesting could be done.

I think the key would be avoiding lots of the Bat-mythos.  Gotham has that covered.  Now, if they somehow link him to Constantine, or the Shining Knight, or other DC heroes and villains with origins somewhere in Europe, that would be different and interesting.

• Love 3
On May 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM, BetterButter said:

19 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

An Alfred series could work.  They're using the recent backstory of him being British Intelligence before/while becoming the Wayne's butler/valet.  So the series is probably going to center around his double life.  It's not a totally untried concept (early Alias, anyone?), but something interesting could be done.

I think the key would be avoiding lots of the Bat-mythos.  Gotham has that covered.  Now, if they somehow link him to Constantine, or the Shining Knight, or other DC heroes and villains with origins somewhere in Europe, that would be different and interesting.

In 2003 we fans of Birds of Prey adored then-67-year-old Ian Abercrombie as Alfred Pennyworth, but I gather this would be a hot, young Alfred, right?

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, giovannif7 said:

I'm holding out for the epic, sweeping saga detailing the action-packed backstory of Bruce's Aunt Harriet Cooper.

This is the story the world has been waiting to hear.  LOL.  

• Love 2

Ten-year-old me is screaming because a Baby-Sitters Club adaptation is being shopped around.

The popular young-adult book series, affectionately known as the BSC, is being packaged for the 2018 marketplace as a timely story of female friendship, entrepreneurialism and empowerment.

So now instead of having a physical calendar, they'll have a synced Google calendar and Mary Anne will update everyone's appointments on her phone. Also dues will be paid into the Venmo account. 

• Love 11

I'm curious/excited about this, too :D. I remember the old TV series from back in the day, and I loved that show. It'll be very interesting to see what an updated version would be like. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Ten-year-old me is screaming because a Baby-Sitters Club adaptation is being shopped around.

So now instead of having a physical calendar, they'll have a synced Google calendar and Mary Anne will update everyone's appointments on her phone. Also dues will be paid into the Venmo account. 

To meet 2018 parenting standards, the characters would have to be aged up from the books, to high school at minimum and probably 10th-11th grade at least, if not even older. Sixth grade junior baby-sitters? Yeah no. Unless it's going to be some sort of fantasy land Disney/Nick type show where the kids all act simultaneously too old and young for their age. I wonder if Mallory and Jessi will make the cut here or whether they'd just, IDK racelift Dawn or something.

Will the writers be obvious with the LGBT characters or go in an unexpected direction? Maybe Claudia would be a slightly less atrocious speller in the age of autocorrect, and Dawn would be vegan, even, without being treated like such an oddball for it. With Stacey, they could just take some of her storylines from the books that were a bit too mature for a kids series anyway (What is a high school sophomore doing, dating an eighth grade girl? Wait, is that young teacher she has a crush on kinda flirting back?) and explore them with a bit more depth. 

Fingers crossed this adaptation works out!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 8
(edited)

Via THR: Abby Elliott, Reductress Team for Late-Night Talk Show at Comedy Central

Comedy Central is looking to the creators of women's satire website Reductress for its next late-night talk show.

The Viacom-owned cable network has handed out a pilot order for The Reductress Hour, teaming with Reductress co-creators Beth Newell and Sarah Pappalardo. Abby Elliott (Saturday Night Live) will star as the show's in-character host.

The potential series will take on the absurdities of women's news, trends, broader national subjects and entertainment television while tackling various issues of the week, original segments and field interviews. Elliott's in-character host will embody the tone of women's media and the Webby Award-winning site.

Edited by Just Here
On 5/23/2018 at 6:59 PM, Minneapple said:

I’m torn between feeling really nostalgic and really old.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:35 PM, Dejana said:

Maybe Claudia would be a slightly less atrocious speller in the age of autocorrect

Ha, the age of autocorrect would make Claudia an even worse speller!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:
On May 23, 2018 at 8:59 PM, Minneapple said:

I’m torn between feeling really nostalgic and really old.

Heh, and I am literally older than any dirt in your home; I read the books when my kids had them.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

I guess this was only a matter of time...

A Buffy reboot with a Black actress is in the works.

This is one of those crazy situations where I don't know what to think. On the one hand, when Buffy was good it was amazing. On the other, Joss' star has rather fallen in recent years. On the third hand, Monica Owusu-Breen was a writer and producer on Agents of Shield, where she would have interacted with Joss at least some of the time. So she isn't a total newbie to the Whedon world. I suppose I'm cautiously interested.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Joe said:

Monica Owusu-Breen was a writer and producer on Agents of Shield, where she would have interacted with Joss at least some of the time.

I doubt she had much to do with him - Joss has barely any input on the show, he lent his name to it and that's about it.

I think I'd rather see a new show set in the Buffyverse, rather than an outright reboot of the original show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

I think I'd rather see a new show set in the Buffyverse, rather than an outright reboot of the original show.

Any chance that this is the next generation? Like maybe the star/lead is Buffy's niece?

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Any chance that this is the next generation? Like maybe the star/lead is Buffy's niece?

I'd like that - I'd actually prefer if this new Slayer had no connection to Buffy at all, although any next generation show would have to deal with the fallout of the season finale (and decide how far to consider the events of the comics as canon). But all the discussion above is about a reboot, so...I dunno.

• Love 4

I know right? It's CW now so it'll be lacking the chemistry or the acting talent... I'm fully in though as I'm a sucker for these kind of silly shows.

The writer did a Q&A on Instagram a few weeks ago and confirmed that the network asked her to write the script as part of her contract with them to develop new shows. I thought it was the writers that liked imagination when it's actually the networks.

Re the Buffy reboot. It will have to be handled with kid gloves because well, it's Buffy. 

I think we discussed the Roswell reboot in the Race/Ethnicity thread. Latino people exist in a border town!

Buffy. Roswell. Is it 1999? Let's reboot Felicity! 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

It seems like there's a lot of rebooting going on right now. Murphy Brown, Magnum PI, is it some nostalgia thing?

It's been going on for the last 20 years or so.  It's more a "we own this recognizable intellectual property" thing.  The most blatant example I can think of is Bates Motel but things like Agents of Shield and Krypton would fall into that category also IMO.  In all those cases the show COULD have been pitched as an original idea since in the long run the show is just riffing on the plot of the  IP.  But it was much much more likely to get picked up when it was presented as a version of something the audience already knows.

(edited)

https://deadline.com/2018/07/bob-fosse-gwen-verdon-fx-limited-series-michelle-williams-sam-rockwell-star-lin-manuel-miranda-thomas-kail-steven-levinson-1202432819/

Putting aside the fact Michelle Williams does nothing for me as an actress, do either she or Rockwell dance?  I mean really dance.  Because how can you do a limited series based on Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon if the actors portraying them can't dance?  Love ya Lin-Manuel Miranda, but I need answers!  Same for you, Nicole Fosse!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I can't speak to Michelle but Sam Rockwell and dancing go hand in hand.  When he won his Oscar we were all disappointed that he didn't dance his way up to the stage. 

Good to hear.  I also did a quick search and see Michelle Williams danced in Cabaret and The Greatest Showman.  Carry on, Lin-Manuel and Nicole!

• Love 4