Type keyword(s) to search

General Pilot & Shows In Development Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, SVNBob said:

That would help distinguish it from the movies.

The only way I see LotR working as a series would be to closely follow each book of the trilogy, extending each one into at least 2 seasons.  For example:

• Season 1 would be the 4 hobbits going from the Shire to Rivendell, with the Fellowship forming in the finale.  Bombadil's appearance would be in an episode (or two) here

Probably because I only slogged through most of the books as a young adult because it was the cool thing to do, I read the above as:

What "would help distinguish it...

• Season 1 would be the 4 hobbits going from the Shire to Riverdale..."
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, supposebly said:

Yeah, I'm not ready for that. At all.

I think Harry Potter would benefit much more from such an approach.

I would DIE if they adapted Harry Potter. They left out so much. I like the movies but selfishly I always wanted mooooooooore.

I dont envy whoever plays Snape in the future. Those are some massive shoes to fill.

• Love 6
On 11/4/2017 at 4:12 PM, supposebly said:

I think Harry Potter would benefit much more from such an approach.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:27 AM, SnoGirl said:

I would DIE if they adapted Harry Potter. They left out so much. I like the movies but selfishly I always wanted mooooooooore.

I'm on this boat. I've been hoping Harry Potter got another adaptation so it could at least feel like a more cohesive overall story. One of the major problems was that the books were still being written when they started filming, so the screenwriters weren't exactly sure what they could leave out (like they wanted to take out Kreacher in Order of the Phoenix, until JKR stepped in and said he was integral to the plot in Deathly Hallows).

• Love 3

I thought the Prisoner of Azkhaban was one of the better adapted movies from the book, but I hated that they excised the entire subplot about the Qudditch house cup.  It was great because if was Wood's last year and he was so desperate for it for Griffyndor.  In the book, It was a nice bit of levity to the heavier themes of the main plot. 

I also disliked Harry's dragon egg trial in the movie version of the Goblet of Fire because it took liberties where none needed to be.  The book version was more tense and more exciting.

I do remember seeing the first movie and grumbling about how much they left out.

So yeah, I'd be stoked for HP being serialized. 

• Love 3

While I agree with what's missing from the movies and it bothered me as well. My fear would be, that they would stray from the books after the first season and while they would know what to leave in they'd probably take even more liberties. So I don't know if I actually want to see it, Harry Potter is too close to my heart to want to see too many changes made.

If it was in the vein of the Lemony Snicket show however I'd like to see it. While it does take some liberties it's very close to it and the whole atmosphere has the same charm the books had. And a series would actually have more of the "it's a whole school year" feeling that the HP books had. 

Back to topic: I think Lord of the Rings is too recent to be re-adapted. Though I never got into the books. I tried before each of the movies and once even before that, but I just couldn't. I did love the hobbit book though (probably because it was a bit more condensed).

• Love 1

I think a series would give HP a bit of breathing room, give some more space for the other characters' perspectives. I really would like a bit more from Seamus and Dean and some conversations they might have on the goings-on, maybe their own stories. Some more perspective from the other houses and the teachers, a bit more insight into Draco. Most of the Slytherins are quite one-dimensional since they are mostly described from Harry's perspective.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I think a series would give HP a bit of breathing room, give some more space for the other characters' perspectives. I really would like a bit more from Seamus and Dean and some conversations they might have on the goings-on, maybe their own stories. Some more perspective from the other houses and the teachers, a bit more insight into Draco. Most of the Slytherins are quite one-dimensional since they are mostly described from Harry's perspective.

Not only that, but it might actually be an opportunity for us to see Rowling's vision for the characters that never made it into the books if she were involved which she typically is with her stuff.  I remember her mentioning that in relation to Dean because someone had asked a question about it,  She had a lot of background & character stuff written about Dean but chose not to include it in the books as it was not relevant to the main story.  I imagine she has extensive character bibles of all of of the minor characters.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I imagine she has extensive character bibles of all of of the minor characters.

They're all on Pottermore and the more detailed bits about various characters, spells, creatures, and the Wizarding World in general are why I'd love a Potter series.  Even if all they did was bring some of the important book relationships to the story I'd be happy.  The books have Harry spending more and more of his school break time with the Weasleys, he has friendships with the twins, Bill, Seamus, and Dean, yet a lot of this is lessened or erased in the movies.  His fight with Seamus in book 5 has less resonance in the movie because Seamus was a background character given one or two comic lines a movie while the books establish that the two boys had a friendship that, while not as strong as with Ron and Hermione, was legit enough that Seamus not believing him about Voldemort upset Harry.  A Potter series, if it ever happens, won't be for a long time but I really want it.

I'm still waiting on more news for The Passage series because I know they've filmed the pilot and a second episode was ordered but that's all I know.  I'm guessing it will be either fall 2018 or midseason 2019 but I want it now!

• Love 3

Apple has ordered a 20 episode series from Jennifer Aniston and Reece Witherspoon ( both starring in and executive producing)  about the early morning news shows and their cut throat nature. It's based on the book by Brian Stelter named: Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV. 

On 11/13/2017 at 1:07 PM, BetterButter said:

Yeah. NO. No Gandalf can ever beat Ian McKellen. Just NO. Not in my lifetime, I don't think.

The extended versions of the Peter Jackson movies last a whole day. I don't really see what a series can add to this. Sure, some parts here and there. These characters aren't all that complex, no offense to Tolkien but they are more archetypes than actual characters. What layers there are were brought out by the actors.

And the plot, well, it's been mostly covered and in my mind New Zealand is Middle Earth. So, I'm not going to f*** with my headspace and watch this.

No. Just. No. Not happening. No.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, supposebly said:

Yeah. NO. No Gandalf can ever beat Ian McKellen. Just NO. Not in my lifetime, I don't think.

The extended versions of the Peter Jackson movies last a whole day. I don't really see what a series can add to this. Sure, some parts here and there. These characters aren't all that complex, no offense to Tolkien but they are more archetypes than actual characters. What layers there are were brought out by the actors.

And the plot, well, it's been mostly covered and in my mind New Zealand is Middle Earth. So, I'm not going to f*** with my headspace and watch this.

No. Just. No. Not happening. No.

They could fix Faramir, for one. And make Gimli less of a joke. For that matter, Dwarves in general. The movies really weren't kind to Dwarves.

• Love 4

I think they are saying the LOTR series will be about the time before the trilogy.  Not sure if that means they'll be drawing on the Silmarillion or expanding on stories from the appendices.  We may never see the characters we know from LOTR.  It's going to be a long time before (if) they start production though.

There's an out of print novel by Kate Wilhelm, Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, about a post-apocalyptic world in which a small closed enclave of people perfected cloning the same people over and over again. Over time the clones lost the ability to do or learn anything the previous batch didn't already know, and their lack of innovative thinkers ended up biting them in the ass in a big way. I think about this every time I hear of yet another plan to remake/reboot a creative property instead of coming up with something new.

• Love 5

Neal Brennan is developing a late night show for Fox.

Try, try again, Fox.

Neal has done guest spots on The Daily Show and is quite progressive in his political views, so ... pretty similar in tone to the current landscape. I like Neal but am not sure if he will have wide appeal. Maybe Fox will be satisfied with a smaller audience.

1 hour ago, 2727 said:

Neal Brennan is developing a late night show for Fox.

Try, try again, Fox.

Neal has done guest spots on The Daily Show and is quite progressive in his political views, so ... pretty similar in tone to the current landscape. I like Neal but am not sure if he will have wide appeal. Maybe Fox will be satisfied with a smaller audience.

The only way to break into the talk show market these days, nevermind the network late night one, is with limited expectations. One would need to go in, knowingly aiming for a niche market, have advertisers all set knowing they need to rely on marketing to that niche, and ignore the total numbers.

Edited by Kromm
8 hours ago, Minneapple said:

The Mighty Ducks is being adapted for TV. Praying Josh Jackson is the head coach of the new Ducks. Ooh and Kenan Thompson could stop by to teach everyone the knucklepuck!

Please let it be set in the 90s! We have some great 80s shows, but this would be fantastic if they left it in the 90s. Unless they’re going to be the kids of the original Ducks or something of that sort.

Can Bombay at least make an appearance? I’m already hooked, I hope its a good show. Lol.

Apple has ordered a 20 episode series from Jennifer Aniston and Reece Witherspoon ( both starring in and executive producing)  about the early morning news shows and their cut throat nature. It's based on the book by Brian Stelter named: Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV. 

As someone who works in the business, Im curious about this one.  I hope they gets things right.  I critique harshly on shows or films on topics I'm close to.

The She-Ra reboot sound interesting too.  I used to watch the original and she was supposed to be introduced in the He-man reboot before it was unceremoniously cancelled.  I hope it's not written with a juvenile tone.

The series iteration of Mighty Ducks could be fun - of course the Bad News Bears TV series flopped so.......

I wonder if anyone from the film will do a walk on?

At this rate, one of the network heads will soon announce their old 1985-86 Monday night lineup is now their  2018-19 Wednesday night lineup and hand out the names of the rebooted/revived/revisited/reformatted/redone/reformulated/reworked new casts.    

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 15

Bryan Fuller has left the Amazing Stories reboot. Creative differences. To which I ask, has he ever worked on a show for more than one full season? Or even to completion? He has a reputation for jumping ship at the first opportunity.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bryan Fuller has left the Amazing Stories reboot. Creative differences. To which I ask, has he ever worked on a show for more than one full season? Or even to completion? He has a reputation for jumping ship at the first opportunity.

Ha.  Pushing Daisies went two seasons and he was there until the end.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Joe said:

Hannibal. I love him as a showrunner. I was disappointed when I heard he had left American Gods. I think he's one of those people that doesn't like interference and I wish people would just leave him be and to his creative vision.

• Love 1

2018 network pilot season guide. The list of comedies kind of makes me tired -- it's all in the execution of course, but the loglines sound pretty weak. Dysfunctional family, dysfunctional family, dysfunctional family.

This made me snort: "After losing the biggest case of her career and being shredded by the media, former prosecutor Maya Travis has left Los Angeles for a quiet life in rural Oregon. Eight years after her devastating defeat, the murderer strikes again, forcing Maya to return to Los Angeles to confront him one more time."

Gee, from Marcia Clark? No kidding.

• Love 2